Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci - Whirring at 2000k revs - piuzzo_steve

Hi - I'd be grateful of some assistance in diagnosing a whirring / rattling at 2000 rpm on my wife's 1.4tdci Fiesta (2010).

When revved when stationary it sounds like a rattle but when under load it's more of a whistle. The 'whistle' sounds almost like a traditional fan belt slipping although not as loud (I was always told that's what made high pitched squeals on cars years ago so forgive me if that makes no sense).

This only occurs when accelerating / under load - when cruising at 60mph the noise isn't audible.

I thought this may be an air leak on a hose but I can't see anything. A local mechanic has had a look and thinks it may be the Dual Mass Flywheel and has given a quote of £850.

Does this seem a likely diagnosis and a reasonable quote?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Edited by sgreenwood on 06/06/2016 at 15:58

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci - Whirring at 2000k revs - phillip b

Reasonable ish quote for a dual mass if it is a dual mass that's the problem. Start the car and rev it a few times let it idle then turn it off and listen to how the dual mass rattles (they all do on switch off) then repeat the process but this time with your foot held on the clutch pedal if you can't really tell the difference it's probably not that if they sound completely different then it's probably knackered but I would have defiantly tested the turbo impeller first from what your describing. Remo the rubber hose from the end of your turbo to reveal the impeller but be careful I think if I remember correctly there is a little spacer that can fall out like a rubber hose (engine off obviously) then use a mirror to closely check for any visual signs of damage of deposits on the blade you only need a tiny spot to change the harmonics (sound) of the turbo. Then grab the tip of the turbo shaft and try lift it and push it down gently to test for free play in the bearing. Be sure to look for any scoring by the impeller on the turbo housing too hope this helps

Thanks for the detailed response.

I checked the DMF noise as suggested and determined it wasn't that. Especially so as there was no vibration on the clutch.

Upon further inspection by a second mechanic - who has always appeared trustworthy - it's something to do with the 'exhaust valve' at the rear of the engine (my wife relayed the message to me) and will cost £350. She confirmed with them that it wasn't the DMF and they confirmed that it isn't after a second inspection.

Thanks for your help....

Do you mean EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation)

Well £500 cheaper for a start

Until the work's completed in a few days I can't be sure what the cause is as my wife booked it in.

The garage is certainly reputable after once charging my mother in law 75p including fitting to replace a side light bulb....

Would £350 be a reasonable quote for such work?

EGR valves are all different prices I have brought one before for £80 but can go up to £250- £300 just for the part if I had your registration number i can tell you how much the part is

Thanks. The part was £150 which is in the right ball-park. The rest was labour / VAT which again seems reasonable as I beleive replacing the EGR is awkward due to its positioning. The noise has stopped and all is well with the motoring-world again.

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci - Whirring at 2000k revs - 547HEW

DMF was dropped from production in 2003. SMF after that. On cost versus benefit grounds I recall.