What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel - Cambelt failure and DPF blockage - kaoos

Hi, 2010 reg Fiesta diesel with 101,000 miles when cambelt failed. Car cut out and no restart. Relayed to the Ford dealer who has serviced the car from new. Head sent away for checking and skimmed but on putting the engine back together (over 3 weeks since breakdown!) the garage have now said that the engine won't start at all and that the DPF is blocked which is what caused the cambelt failure. Is this likely? The cost for fixing the DPF problem is quoted at approx. £1500 (on top of circa £1000 for work already done). I've now lost faith in the dealer as feel that cambelt change should have been done sooner and, if not part of scheduled service, maybe they should alert owners to the potential for them to go. I'm not mechanically minded but friends say that the DPF blockage would not cause the cambelt to break. Please advise? My repair bill looks like being over 50% of what the car is worth! Help please! Many thanks.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel - Cambelt failure and DPF blockage - elekie&a/c doctor

Timing belt replacement on these is 10 years or 125k miles.So looks like you have been unlucky.However belt breakage is usually the result of something else failing first(tensioner,pulley guide).No way would a blocked dpf cause this problem.Any blockage in the exhaust system would cause lack of power and possible engine mil lamp (fault light)to be on.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel - Cambelt failure and DPF blockage - Railroad.

It never fails to concern me garages and motorists that cannot understand that the recommended service and maintenance intervals are only 'recommendations'. No one has a crystal ball, and no one knows how, where or when a cambelt is going to fail, and so to take the manufacturer's original recommendation when the car was new as gospel is total nonsense. I sympathise with your situation as it seems you have fallen victim to your dealer's failure to apply some basic common sense. Old cars, and that is any car that's taken to the road and has age and mileage on it, need to be serviced and maintained on an 'as and when' common sense basis.

As for the DPF issue I concur with the Doc. There's no way a blocked exhaust would cause a cambelt to fail, and I'd welcome a detailed explanation from anyone who thinks otherwise.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel - Cambelt failure and DPF blockage - gordonbennet

I agree, i regard cambelt recommends as absolute limits in perfect driving conditions of long journeys always warm in top gear, just like specific oil change intervals.

How many hundreds more hours will an engine in stop start ar traffic conditions have run, and how many more cold to hot to cold cycles, than the car used in ideal circs.

Common sense a rare thing now.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel - Cambelt failure and DPF blockage - John F

Hi, 2010 reg Fiesta diesel with 101,000 miles when cambelt failed. Car cut out and no restart....the garage have now said that the engine won't start at all and that the DPF is blocked which is what caused the cambelt failure. Is this likely?

Not only unlikely, impossible! Sounds like a fluke failure of something the belt drives - original equipment belts this young shouldn't 'fail' without warning.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel - Cambelt failure and DPF blockage - Brit_in_Germany

Could the problem have been DMF failure (if the Fiesta has one) rather than DPF?