What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Transit Mini Bus - Front wheel alignment - Ben 10
Is this the case.
Just took a school mini bus into a tyre fitting depot and had two front tyres fitted and front wheel alignment adjusted.
On the journey back I momentarily took my hands off the steering wheel, and the bus started to veer left. Quite sharply.
Only steered straight while holding the wheel. I phoned the depot and they said if it wasn't doing it holding the wheel it was adjusted correctly.
I thought that even without holding the wheel, the bus should drive dead straight. Isn't pulling to one side the reason why we would get it adjusted in the first place.
Was it all spin, or are they right?
Ford Transit Mini Bus - Front wheel alignment - RobJP

I'd expect a vehicle to move gradually to the left if you took your hands off the wheel. But 'veering sharply', no.

Ford Transit Mini Bus - Front wheel alignment - gordonbennet

2 new tyres? bedded in yet? Brakes free both sides?

As above, if its pulling left constantly and you can feel yourself compensating for that via the steering wheel then something isn't right.

Not necessarily alignment though, because unless way out of alignment even if toeing out or in the vehicle will drive fairly straight.

First thing check the tyre pressures are correct all round.

Put either side of the vehicle on a continuous white line whilst driving straight, if the degree of 'pull' to one side changes noticeably then that points to an out of alignment issue of some sort where one side of the vehicle is encountering less road friction.

A constant pull to one side points more to a caster and lesser extent camber issue...take a tape measure and check the wheelbase both sides, wheel centre to wheel centre, not the same points to caster or possibly rear axle out of true.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/05/2016 at 11:36