What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - Alison F.

I have just wrecked my automatic car from a near standstill. While slowly turning in a cul de sac, it shot across the road without warning, hit two other cars and crashed into a wall writing itself off. It had done two little surges before but I managed to control them. I am not yet dotty,but in my seventies. I have driven automatics for twenty years after my left ankle was fixed to some extent with screws and I felt that ther was not enough flex in the ankle to control a clutch.

Now I am negotiating for a used Nissan Note automatic and am quite worried. Under no circumstances can I give up driving as I live in the country. My life has come to a stop for the last ten days while the insurers work it all out.

My usual local garage and car salesman said at once "Ah, a surge. There have been three lately including one in Waitrose's car park causing similar damage to yours". An article in Honest John suggests "driving two footed", but I don't really understand this given the positons of the accelerator and brake. One has to be able to move very slowly in traffic an other circmstances so a slight touch on the accelerator should move the car forward or back just a little withot mayhem following. Can I seek the advice of readers?

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - RobJP

Regrettably, in virtually every case, what has really happened is the person has hit the accelerator rather than the brake. Thinking their foot is on the brake when the car starts to 'surge', they put their foot down even harder.

I know 2 elderly drivers who it happened to, I can think of a couple of others, and there are lots of other incidents reported in the media. Notably, it's nearly always drivers in their 70s or 80s. Though that's not a general criticism. My mum is still a very good driver, and 78 this year.

Basically, driving 2 footed is exactly what it says. Left foot is for braking, right is for the accelerator. You never move your right foot onto the brake.

It takes a fair bit of work initially. I found my braking was incredibly harsh to start with. But in the long run it makes a lot more sense, especially for an automatic.

I said that my mum is 78 this year. My dad is 80, and gave up his licence after a similar incident 5 years ago. He was adamant that he'd been on the brake, up until the sound on the recorded CCTV in the shop that he'd just driven into clearly showed the engine bouncing off the rev limiter, and CCTV out front showed no brake lights. Even then, he took some convincing.

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - gordonbennet

There's numeorus types of automatic gearbox, the two recent (well last 10 years really) developments the automated manual and twin clutch type box are basically manual gearboxes but with the clutch operated by sensors and servos depending on throttle position etc...i always descibe it as you operating the throttle and a friend trying to control the clutch at the same time, horrible things.

Whilst they might be slightly more efficient in fuel use due to their being little to no 'slip' in the system, they lack creep and creep makes for smooth control.

Creep is one of the nicest things about standard torque converter, and some of the newer CV boxes with torque converter as found in Honda Jazz and latest Toyota Yaris for instance, and there's a similar gentle and fully controllable pick up to be found in Toyota hybrids but which are different again.

With torque converter boxes for most manouevers on the flat just lifting your foot of the brake will see enough creep to allow the car to move where you want it to, on almost all examples when the throttle is pressed gently the pick up can be infinitely and minutely controlled.

With automated manual and twin clutch boxes the clutch engagement can be fairly sudden, almost on/off switch, and accidents IMHO are much more likely with these as they require careful throttle/brake control for confined spaces.

I have no idea if the new Nissan Note has a torque converter box, but for comparison purposes you could test drive a small Korean car or two (almost all come with proper autos) and a Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz as well, and see how they all compare.

Make sure on any test drive that you take some time to learn the ''feel'' of the gearbox, how it picks up and if it has creep that you like so take the car where you want to, spend 10 mins in a quiet car park feeling the power take up if you so wish, its you who is going to be paying for it and you who is going to be driving it...if the sales bod is one of these who simply hands over to you on an open road then 5 mins of main road driving his chosen route and back to the showroom to seal the deal, be ready to just walk away.

I don't agree with driving automatics with two feet, and with a proper auto box it should almost never be necessary.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/05/2016 at 11:08

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - Fernando P

Our 2009 Nissan Note has a Japanese made Torque Converter auto box, which has the traditional amount of "creep" referred to. I am not sure if the latest model has a TC auto box although I suspect it has (if it aint broke..)...

It requires a "one foot" operation only - certainly not two!

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - madf

I drive a 2012 Jazz Auto - CVT with TC as described above by GB.

Parking is easy. It creeps at idle so you HAVE to use the footbrake or handbrake to prevent it moving. Great for parking.. And keeps the driver alert..

Even I - senile and in my dotage - can drive it smoothly... and park.

I had an uncle who crashed his 1967 Daimler 250 by accelerating rather than braking (it was an auto). His car went through the rear garage wall and ended up in the garden.. This was in the early 1970s. He was in his 70s.

He gave up driving after that..

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - elekie&a/c doctor

Anyone remember the Daf variomatic?.It could be driven just as fast in reverse as it could forwards.Many a garden wall have been demolised by these.

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - galileo

Anyone remember the Daf variomatic?.It could be driven just as fast in reverse as it could forwards.Many a garden wall have been demolised by these.

I had a 1971 Daf 55 from about 1977 - 1979 (and a few years later a 'Volvo 66' which was effectively the same thing but with big bumpers).

The 55 had a Renault 1100 engine but was surprisingly quick, the bodywork was quite light and of course if you floored the pedal the engine went to full power while it accelerated seamlessly up to an indicated 80+.

Only drawback was the need to crawl under to tighten the drivebelts fairly often.

Like all the other automatics I've driven I favoured the two-footed technique, these had a centrifugal clutch so creeping in tight spaces wasn't as simple as with a traditional TC.

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - gordonbennet

Never owned one but i drove a nice Daf55 a few times and really enjoyed it, it was a completely different transmssion to anything else at the time but within minutes felt quite at home in it.

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - focussed

Never owned one but i drove a nice Daf55 a few times and really enjoyed it, it was a completely different transmssion to anything else at the time but within minutes felt quite at home in it.

Blimey-praise indeed!

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - Peter.N.

I think auto's and elderly people are a bad combination and its not bias as I am 77 myself, I still drive a lot and are off to the north of Scotland tomorrow.

The reason I think they are a bad idea is that you don't think as quickly as you did a few years ago and an auto reacts immediatly, with a manual you have to think about what you are doing, so by the time you have the car in gear your brain is also in gear.

In my experience most elderly drivers involved in accidents were driving an auto.

Ford Fusion 2009 - Automatic "surges" Car a write off. - RT

In my experience most elderly drivers involved in accidents were driving an auto.

That's proof of what exactly?

- that many older drivers prefer automatics - it could equally said that most Americans involved in accidents were driving autos.