What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Galaxy Zetec, petrol, 2009 - Can throttle box problem damage ecu? - geoffcox

Hello

I had engine malfunction messages so took car to the Ford dealer. They said needs new ecu, £1450!. 20 mins after adding new ecu they tell me that new code indicated needs new throttle box, £450!

Now should the diagnostic test have shown up the faulty throttle box first and had that been corrected would the ecu have been OK and not needed to be replaced?

Do the 2 figures above seem reasonable?

Cheers

Geoff

Ford Galaxy Zetec, petrol, 2009 - Can throttle box problem damage ecu? - elekie&a/c doctor

Could you provide a bit more info as to the original problem with the car.?

Ford Galaxy Zetec, petrol, 2009 - Can throttle box problem damage ecu? - geoffcox

only to say that the car had been running with no problem at all until the "engine malfunction" message came up. I decided to take it to the Ford dealer where it has been serviced since new.

A distance of 3 miles. I could only go at about 20mph so stopped and restarted. Car went at normal speed for a few minutes and then the message came back so stopped and restarted. This happended 6 or 7 times before I got to the garage.

It seems to me that the ECU had been doing its job in that it put the engine into "limp mode" to prevent engine damage. Now they tell me the throttle box needs replacing. Why wasn't that found in the diagnostic test? They say that the faulty throttle box damages the ECU. In which case has the new ECU been damaged?

If not, was the original ECU OK and only the throrttle box needed to be replaced?

??

Cheers

Geoff

Ford Galaxy Zetec, petrol, 2009 - Can throttle box problem damage ecu? - elekie&a/c doctor

Tricky one this.Bit of a chicken/egg situation. Throttle bodies can give trouble ,more so than the ecu. However I would assume that the dealer would not warrant any parts unless both were replaced.Probably overkill.Did the dealer check the battery?I have seen faults like this caused by a weak battery.

Don't know whether they checked the battery! the manager showed me the diagnostic reports which convinced me that they did what was necessary so have paid !

Drove away and something else happened ! After a couple of miles there was a wining noise which increased as I accelerated and decreased as I took my foot off the accelerator peddle.

have been back to the garage and they will take it in on Thursday. They suggest power steering noise and bearing noise as possibilities.

would like to attached a couple of audio clips, one from inside the car and one inside the engine compartment but seems this not possible?

I guess I should make a separate post for this..

Cheers

Geoff