Ford Focus C-max 1.6LX - Exhaust Heat Shield - spikel

Just had one of our cars into local garage for welding to exhaust brackets, when picking car up the mechanic uttered those immortal words "I removed your heat shield it's not needed". I've come across this before and know there have been discussions about it eg: "if not needed why fit in first place" etc.

I would like to ask:

1) Has anyone ever known of problems caused by heat shield removal, especially to a C-max 54reg?

2) If they're are so critical and are prone to dropping off etc, why aren't they covered by a recall?

3) Why do Independent garages seem to do this instead of refitting, which would only take 10 mins if up on a lift and with a few pop rivets?

Really just looking for reassurance the car's not going to ignite on a hot day.

Thanks

Ford Focus C-max 1.6LX - Exhaust Heat Shield - Wackyracer

The heat shield has probably corroded and come lose from it's fittings or the clips that hold it on have corroded away.

If it's the one on the fuel tank they are usually secured to the fuel tank itself so you can't drill it and pop rivet it back on. If it's the one on the manifold the mechanics won't want to start playing with heavily corroded manifold nuts/set screws to get it secured again (we never had these problems in the days of brass manifold nuts)

If it was really dangerous to remove them, their absence would be an MOT failure.

Ford Focus C-max 1.6LX - Exhaust Heat Shield - elekie&a/c doctor
Good advice above.Heat shields have been falling of Fords for the last 30 years plus.If it is a heat shield over the rear silencer,I would not be too worried.Both my Focus and Mondeo are minus theirs with no ill effect.

Great thanks for reassurance.

Thank's "Wackyracer" that puts my mind at rest.

Edited by spikel on 09/04/2016 at 16:49

Ford Focus C-max 1.6LX - Exhaust Heat Shield - John F

Really just looking for reassurance the car's not going to ignite on a hot day.

It almost certainly won't. And if it does, it will not be because of the hot exhaust pipe under where the shield used to be.

Ok Thanks.