What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mark 3 (2012) Ford Focus fuel economy concern? - graham123

According to Ford, the 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 (105bhp) should do 35mpg around the houses (i.e. urban driving). However I am only getting 27 or 28mpg! Even if I do one longer journey per week (40miles) I only get 32mpg. Is this normal and do you know anyone with this model who has the same experience? Thanks.

Mark 3 (2012) Ford Focus fuel economy concern? - madf

Read the link above to Real MPG.

Makers can only quote EY figures which are unachievable

Mark 3 (2012) Ford Focus fuel economy concern? - John F

If this is typical of presumably the 1.6 Duratec it's a poor do compared with the old 1.6 Zetec. I did a brim-to-brim over several hundred miles recently on our first generation 2000 Focus Auto estate 1.6Zetec with over 110,000m and got around 37mpg overall. Of course, it could be your enthusiastic driving technique.....

Mark 3 (2012) Ford Focus fuel economy concern? - galileo

If this is typical of presumably the 1.6 Duratec it's a poor do compared with the old 1.6 Zetec. I did a brim-to-brim over several hundred miles recently on our first generation 2000 Focus Auto estate 1.6Zetec with over 110,000m and got around 37mpg overall. Of course, it could be your enthusiastic driving technique.....

It is a fact that different drivers, in the same car, on the same roads, can return fuel consumption figures different by as much as 30%. So without knowing exactly how you drive (acceleration, braking, typical cruisng speed, gear change timing etc) no one can say whether your Focus is giving good or poor mpg.

Years back I bought a car from a mate, he used to get 25mpg, I used to get 35mpg driving on the same roads (not much slower, either)

Mark 3 (2012) Ford Focus fuel economy concern? - csgmart

According to Ford, the 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 (105bhp) should do 35mpg around the houses (i.e. urban driving). However I am only getting 27 or 28mpg! Even if I do one longer journey per week (40miles) I only get 32mpg. Is this normal and do you know anyone with this model who has the same experience? Thanks.

Cold weather has a big effect on mpg. I bet the consumption in summer months is better.