Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - Warning

I happen to see a car advertised with 25,000 miles. However, it has 2 owners.

The car was registered in June 2012

It had an MOT in June 2015 at 21,000 miles.

I am concerened how a car with 2 owers can be still low mileage?

The car is on sale at a large indepent car dealer.

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - slkfanboy

I only do around 6k a year. So one of my cars also 2012 and has 25k on the clock and i am the second owner.

Question you could consider are who was the first owner, A lease car would normaly be leased for 3 years, but could be less. The car is then purchase privately and own for one year aprox which is of interest as there may be a negative reason for sale.

Check the service history and if you can phone the previous owner along with a HPI check. With the HPI check you must check the VIN is in line with the HPI records.

I aways buy from a dealer as you have some come back. The extra cost is quite small compared to the private seller risks.

Edited by slkfanboy on 15/03/2016 at 13:01

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - Gibbo_Wirral

You'd need to speak to the previous owners as to why. There could be a dozen scenarios.

For example, the first owner might have bought it new and has a habit of changing the car every three years. The second owner may have had to sell to get a larger car for a new family.

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - bathtub tom

I sold my last car at eleven years old with 50K on the clock. I see from its MOT history it's averaged around 5K a years since with its third owner.

What's the problem?

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - RobJP

My mum's car is just approaching 3 years old. 16k miles. I see no reason to not buy such a car.

Of course, if the car you're looking at has had no (or only one) service, then I'd be a lot more wary.

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - madf

We bought our Yaris D4D at 2.5 years old, two owners and 24k miles.

It is now 14 years old and going strong..

>You'd need to speak to the previous owners as to why. There could be a dozen scenarios.

Sure are and one might be the car never starts rainy days.
Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - Auristocrat

Might have been bought as a pre-registered car.

Edited by Auristocrat on 15/03/2016 at 18:52

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - NARU

We have three cars. One bought at 11 months, 4,000 miles. One at 3 months, 600 miles. Either would have shown low mileage at 3 or 4 years old.

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - hillman

A couple I know bought a '61 reg Micra, 'immaculate condition'. Several months afterwards the clutch failed at 14,500 miles. The garage showed my acquaintance the friction disc and it was worn through. This was the second clutch replacement in 50 years driving, he doesn't keep cars all that long. You have to take your chances when you buy any second hand car.

New or Old you take your chances for sure. Sale of goods at is very good these days, so go for a good dealer and you get the chance to return in 30days

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - NARU

I remember a neighbour who would go out to his car, start it from cold and then run it at at least 3000 RPM until it was warm and he headed off to work. Summer or winter. There are some strange people (and poorly cars) out there!

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - Avant

Yes, and imagine that work is only 2 miles away. The next owner buys the car with one owner and low mileage....and then comes on here with a tale of woe.

Buying used can't help being a gamble: but a full service history and the general impression that the car has been cared for help to reduce, but never eliminate, the risk. A 2012 car with 25,000 miles sounds reasonable, not too low a mileage nor too high.

The simple answer to "I am concerned how a car with 2 owners can be still low mileage" is that neither of the owners did very many miles!

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - bathtub tom

I remember a neighbour who would go out to his car, start it from cold and then run it at at least 3000 RPM until it was warm and he headed off to work.

Neighbour starts his car in the drive and then moves it into the road.

Starts his daughter's car and moves that into the road. Around ten minutes later she gets into car and drives it half-a-mile to school.

Neighbout then takes his wife half-a-mile to her job then returns and parks his car.

This is reversed later in the day.

He revs each engine before switching off to 'leave some petrol in the bores so it starts easier next time'. Both cars are injected.

Should I buy a car with 25k on clock and 2 owners? - daveyK_UK

first owner could have been pre-reg or hire car company such as hertz.

the number of owners is irrelvant, the service history and condition of the car is everything.