Any - Euro ncap results - scot22

I have admitted in several posts that I am neurotic/obsessive about safety. How significant are the Euroncap results ? Obviously the main thing is to avoid a crash but, if it happens how big an effect does the car you are driving have on injuries.

I understand the tests are size related and the bigger the car the more likely you are to come off O.K. I see a Honda Jazz pre 2015 scores 78% after 2015 93%. Both are graded five star. Are there significant differentials between adequate and marginal ?

I would value any observations.

Any - Euro ncap results - RobJP

Don't assume that the earlier version of the Jazz (to continue with your example) will be any less safe than the new one.

To explain ... one of the safety measures is pedestrian safety. Specifically, what happens when a pedestrian's head strikes the bonnet. The bonnet obviously deforms, but lots of really hard stuff under it that then becomes part of the impact.

To mitigate this, manufacturers now put airbag systems into the bonnet. In the event of an impact on the bumper, the system fires, the bonnet 'pops up', meaning more deformation required before head / engine impact.

The downside to this is far more expensive vehicle repairs. But the car is getting far higher NCAP scores, so the manufacturer doesn't care - it looks good to the (mostly) uneducated buying public.

Thanks Rob, as one of the 'mostly', I value knowledgeable advice. I am concerned when I look at the diagrams in different colours showing protection levels to occupants, in particular front two which is the usual occupancy.

If a car is 5stars are the differences between good, adequate and marginal likely to be significant ? or is the size of car a bigger factor ?

Any - Euro ncap results - RT

Thanks Rob, as one of the 'mostly', I value knowledgeable advice. I am concerned when I look at the diagrams in different colours showing protection levels to occupants, in particular front two which is the usual occupancy.

If a car is 5stars are the differences between good, adequate and marginal likely to be significant ? or is the size of car a bigger factor ?

The NCAP star score is an accumulation of individual scores in a number of different aspects - you need to check out the NCAP website to drill down to the detailed scores in the areas that concern you most.

Remember that any system which categorises into 5 groups (or is it 6 now) means that the top of the 4-star category is only marginally worse than the bottom of the 5-star category.

Cars can be marked down for lack of a certain item as standard equipment - but of course the trim level or option selection you make may include that safety item!

You'll need an arithmetic, analytical mind to process all the detail.

Any - Euro ncap results - gordonbennet

Whilst those ncap scores are all well and good, i and possibly others tend to look at things slightly differently.

I'd rather spend more on good tyres and overmaintain brakes etc, and hopefully drive competently in order not to need so many stars at all, having power and grip in a basically strong car, and driving according to conditions, which doesn't mean dawdling, should give one a good chance of never needing umpteen stars of crash protection.

I see idiots every day of the week, particularly from Friday lunchtime to Monday morning when the lemmings get released, utter fools driving at breakneck speeds which isn't a problem except they're at suicidal closeness regardless of road conditions and surrounded by dozens of other fools, many cutting costs by fitting the cheapest Chinese ditchfinders they can get which get bounced off kerbs, run under pressure and generally neglected...these people need lots of ncap stars...thought truth be told they need a 6" spike in place of the airbag so when they smash into innocent people its the last time they do so.

Then you've got the true numpties, jump in their frozen car after clearing a port hole to peer through, haven't the foggiest idea what they're doing can't see a thing, wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about should you mention screenwash anti freeze, when the winter sun shines in the afternoon, their filthy windows and mirrors (cleaned only when it rains, outside) might as well be made from frosted glass, come night time half their lights are out and the single headlight pointing to the offside verge, they are as big a menace and they need ncaps.

I don't blame anyone for wanting safety, but its not the only criteria and there are other ways to look at things, i'd rather have full time Subaru all wheel drive and enough power to put it down than all the ncap stars in the world.

Minor rant over..:-)

Any - Euro ncap results - Wackyracer

My car only has a 2 star rating and in 15 years of driving it, I've not died horribly because of this low rating.

I'm actually more likely to have an incident in the newer car as it has stupidly thick windscreen pillars, they are wonderful 'if' the car were to have a head on or end up on it's roof but, for normal driving are a pain at junctions.

Comments are highly valued. As usual there is much wisdom and I feel better equipped to make choices. If I had been on this forum years ago it would have saved me much hassle and improved my driving awareness - Thanks all.

Any - Euro ncap results - bazza

You will always be safer in a bigger, heavier vehicle, that's not to belittle the huge advances in design etc. But ultimately if a small 5 star car meets a big 5 star car, the laws of momentum dictate that you will come to a more rapid stop in the smaller , lighter vehicle -- and thus be subject to greater deceleration forces and probably have less survival space. Think big marble hitting small marble. The vehicle itself has to absorb more of the resulting impact forces, resulting in more damage and forces upon yourself. Which is why if you have a head-on with a truck, you will always come off badly. In much less than a split second your forward velocity will be turned into backwards velocity, with the huge forces that implies, whilst the truck will maintain forward momentum.

A few years ago, our Octavia was in a head-on with a Clio, both cars doing approx 40mph. All occupants survived, although bruised and bashed up. It was astonishing how strong both these cars were and protected the occupants, the passenger cabins of both remaining intact, whilst both cars were completely destroyed ahead of the A pillars.

Any - Euro ncap results - diddy1234

I emailed Ncap once asking if a ten year old car with a 5 star rating would fair just as well as a brand new 5 star rating car today.

never got any reply so they seem to do their own thing and just publish figures.

On the flip side, if everyone drove 1 star rating cars (like the Rover metro) and were aware they are death traps, everyone would drive slower and be less dangerous on the roads but ho hum, we live in a wrapped up cotton wall society

You will always be safer in a bigger, heavier vehicle,

That is not actually true. www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLanPwRgio

Any - Euro ncap results - brum

You will always be safer in a bigger, heavier vehicle, that's not to belittle the huge advances in design etc. But ultimately if a small 5 star car meets a big 5 star car, the laws of momentum dictate that you will come to a more rapid stop in the smaller , lighter vehicle -- and thus be subject to greater deceleration forces and probably have less survival space. Think big marble hitting small marble. The vehicle itself has to absorb more of the resulting impact forces, resulting in more damage and forces upon yourself. Which is why if you have a head-on with a truck, you will always come off badly. In much less than a split second your forward velocity will be turned into backwards velocity, with the huge forces that implies, whilst the truck will maintain forward momentum.

Indeed I can vouch for this 1000%. On a christmas shopping trip, my sister (as rear passenger) and her two friends all aged between 58-76 were all instantly killed at the scene when the 5 star Aygo they were travelling in was hit head on by a Focus driven by a 28 year old, who escaped with IIRC just a broken leg. I visited the accident scene with the police, the accident investigators had marked up the road and it looks as if the Aygo had been stopped more or less instantly causing massive fatal injuries.

Take heed. Small car has no chance against a large vehicle no matter how many stars someone gives!!

Edited by brum on 08/03/2016 at 10:29

Any - Euro ncap results - cilvilservant

We should also remember the NCAP tests are carried out against similar size vehicles. Thus they are rated in their class size. For example, a Skoda Citigo (a super mini) is rated in its class as a 5 star NCAP award. However, I wouldn't want to be in one should I hit a Volvo XC90 on the motorway which is also a 5 Star!

Brum, please accept my condolences it must have been terrible.

These responses have given me a lot to think about when choosing another car.

Any - Euro ncap results - madf

Remember, star ratings are given for new cars. Old misused cars with corrosion or malfunctioning airbags are going to be much less safe...

Any - Euro ncap results - KB.

Strangely enough, whilst reading throught the above contributions, my thoughts promptly were drawn to the Austin Metro (or any of it's variants)....and lo and behold someone mentioned it.

When reading, or in some other way considering, the safety of cars, the Metro often springs to mind because (a) it's only recently become a rarely seen car... i.e. it was a common sight on our roads up till thelast few years. And (b) achieved a very low NCAP rating. And (c) was one of the (numerous) cars I had first hand experience of when attending road traffic incidents/accidents.

And the consequences of the various Metros colliding with this or that always seemed to remind me at the time not to buy a Metro....the outcome was always a spectacularly bad one.

It serves to confirm in my mind that there was then - and is now - concrete evidence to link NCAP evidence with real life experience, so, whilst GB has a point (as always), I would maintain that reference to the NCAP tables has (at least in my own mind) tangible benefits that I am happy to take note of.

I wonder if the fact Metro's were often driven by young drivers was a reason why they were in many bad accidents?

Any - Euro ncap results - KB.

I wonder if the fact Metro's were often driven by young drivers was a reason why they were in many bad accidents?

It's a possibility but it was never my opinion that the Metro was primarily the transport of the young. I might be wrong but I'd have said they also had appeal to older people and mothers wanting a small runaround as well as youngsters.

I wasn't actually saying that there were lots of bad accidents involving Metros...more that it seemed a disproportionately high percentage of the ones I had anything to do with were more severely damaged relative to the other vehicle(s) involved and stood up very poorly to the impacts compared to other similar types of car. The NCAP video rather shows what I'm trying to say.

Probably no worse than a Trabant or a Reliant three wheeler though :-)

Any - Euro ncap results - Pete Mansell

I can't help thinking that manufacturers simply design their cars to do well only in the NCAP tests. What happens in real life crashes, when angles of impact etc are different.

Many manufacturers have been found to be engineering their cars to well in the published fuel consumption figures, but then are totally different in real life conditions.

Are they up to the same tricks with safety design?

I can't help thinking that manufacturers simply design their cars to do well only in the NCAP tests. What happens in real life crashes, when angles of impact etc are different.

Many manufacturers have been found to be engineering their cars to well in the published fuel consumption figures, but then are totally different in real life conditions.

Are they up to the same tricks with safety design?

I think you are probably right. Most things nowadays are designed, driven mainly by marketing and brand image. Truth is often distorted when its convenient. Volkswagen and Dyson are prime examples in my mind.

I, for one, just took NCAPs star system at face value, i.e. 5 stars good, 4 stars not so good etc. Didnt really think about it any deeper until stated on this thread that its a vehicle class related award system, which in the real world where all vehicles coexist means far far less and certainly has misled me.

Yet how often do the tv adverts simply boast, "received the top 5 stars for safety" with no explanation of context.

Your point Pete is very thought provoking. It would be interesting if a TV documentary took a look at the system. What things mean and possible variations are not explained so that people like me can understand the importance in real lfe situations.

Any - Euro ncap results - davecooper

I always thought that NCAP impact tests were done using an unyielding block of concrete or whatever. Therefore, every car is tested against a standard obstacle and not how it will fare if it hits another larger or smaller vehicle.

Think the clue is in the following text gleaned from the link below:

Star ratings cannot be compared directly between different categories of vehicles, so a ‘Best in Class’ is published showing which vehicles have performed better than their competitors.

www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/best-in-class-.../

Star ratings cannot be compared directly between different categories of vehicles, so a ‘Best in Class’ is published showing which vehicles have performed better than their competitors.

Thats so sounds like marketing speak.

Surely real accident statistics say more.

Thats so sounds like marketing speak.

Surely real accident statistics say more.

Possibly but the point is, a 5 start rating for a supermini is not the same as a 5 start rating for a larger vehicle - in the real world.

Possibly but the point is, a 5 start rating for a supermini is not the same as a 5 start rating for a larger vehicle - in the real world.

So, in reality, this is a flawed system. The majority of the public dont appreciate the limitation, after all how many people read the small print, I certainly didnt.

Any - Euro ncap results - alan1302

So, in reality, this is a flawed system. The majority of the public dont appreciate the limitation, after all how many people read the small print, I certainly didnt.

Seem obvious and logical to me how it works. I would have expect that the star ratings are applicable by class of car rather than just overall.

Any - Euro ncap results - Brit_in_Germany

If you look into the details, you will see that the tests are not independent of size. For example, the offset deformable barrier is set to mimic a crash into a vehicle of the same weight.

Any - Euro ncap results - Avant

We learned in childhood that it's never a good idea to hit someone bigger than you. Pity it doesn't work quite like that on the road....

Any - Euro ncap results - SteveH2

I agree that they should make it clearer, and in particular they should make clearer what advantage there is to buying a larger car. So each vehicle needs a number within its class and overall. The stars just stay within the class.

I really don't have much of a feel for eg a Fiesta vs a Mondeo

Any - Euro ncap results - SteveH2

What I really wanted to know was how does a 5star rating from a decade ago compare to a 3 or 4 star rating today.

My particular conundrum is a 10 year old corolla verso or a Lodgy about 3 years old. (French prices, UK prices are utterly different)

Any - Euro ncap results - madf

What I really wanted to know was how does a 5star rating from a decade ago compare to a 3 or 4 star rating today.

My particular conundrum is a 10 year old corolla verso or a Lodgy about 3 years old. (French prices, UK prices are utterly different)

Any 10 year old car is bound to have weakening of the sructure due to age and corrosion so a three star rating when new is likely in real life to be less.

Any - Euro ncap results - Ethan Edwards

As someone who rode motorbikes for many years. I look on even a one star car from umpteen years ago as being a whole lot safer than my bike was. You may be fretting over nothing in my opinion.

As other posters have said make sure you maintain your car and drive responsibly that's primary safety. Your concern is with secondary safety.

Your have to accept some risk in your life. Getting up in the morning is a risk eating your wheaty flakes in the morning carries some risk.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 23/10/2016 at 21:58

Any - Euro ncap results - kerbed enthusiasm

I'm jumping in to support WackyRacer's comment. Our two previous cars were a Meriva (4*) and a Mazda Premacy (3*). Of the two, the Premacy felt far more planted on the road, drove more predictably and had far fewer blindspots. I know that if there had been an accident, we'd have faired better in the Meriva but I'm certain that the accident would have been easier to avoid in the Premacy.

A very perceptive post. I fully accept life itself is a risk. However, I prefer to control the ones I can - without it becoming ridiculous.