Renault Megane Scenic 06 - 3 starter motors in 3 years - Old Woman

Does anyone have any ideas why my starter motor keeps breaking. I have had 3 in the last three years. The last two times prior to it going we had a dash error STOP BATTERY LOW but when checked it wasn't. When we stopped the car and started again the error went and we had a new battery. So we thought it was just one of those things. Then a few months after the car wouldn't start. The garage said it was the starter motor and we were just unlucky we had got through so many. I mentioned this to a new mechanic and he said that it was probably the dual mass flywheel which would cost god knows what but when i looked this up i dont seem to have the symptoms for that to be going. The last starter motor was replaced about 6 months ago and so far we have had no problems but i'm dreading it suddenly happening again. I've looked for alternator symptoms on line to see if it could be that but again the battery and starting has been fine.

Is this a known fault with renaults?

Renault Megane Scenic 06 - 3 starter motors in 3 years - elekie&a/c doctor

Not really a known fault.Probably one of the electrical issues they don't suffer with.From where are the starter motors being sourced,genuine renault or aftermarket?

I'm presuming renault part the cost of it but just took it to a garage. 3 different garages, as in different places at the time.

Renault Megane Scenic 06 - 3 starter motors in 3 years - Wackyracer

I had a similar problem with the Astra, it was the ignition barrel was faulty and was keeping power to the starter. It never happened when I drove it as I always hold the key and feel it return from the start position.

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure what you mean by it never happened when you drove? There was never any warning with the starter motor going, it was just the next time i got in the car to start it it wouldn't go. There was nothing, it was dead. I've got a card key so would there be a way of telling if it was the ignition barrel? Its also diesel, if that makes any diffence.

Thanks ever so much

Renault Megane Scenic 06 - 3 starter motors in 3 years - Wackyracer

When I personally drove the car the problem never occured but, when she drove the car it happened 3 or 4 times. Similar to what you said, she drove somewhere and when she tried to restart it the car it was completely dead. It was keeping the starter energized all the time it was being driven. I find it hard to belive there was no symptoms at all but, she said not.

If your car has a card key thing and a start button to start the car, I'd be looking at the starter relay and making sure that it does not continue to give a live feed to the starter solenoid after the button is released.

I'll give that a try thank you.

Renault Megane Scenic 06 - 3 starter motors in 3 years - Avant

Time to flog the car I think! A Toyota Verso may be a more reliable car of a similar type to the Scenic.

Renault Megane Scenic 06 - 3 starter motors in 3 years - glowplug

It could be worth checking that the correct alternator type has been coded into the UPC.

Steve.