What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Was I ripped off? - Beeeeee

Hello

I had locking rear left door problem with my Mercedes A160 (made in 1999) so visited local garage to repair her yesterday and today my wife got that back as i was at work.

my wife said she paid £265.14 and feel like ripping off.

i checked the invoice. that was as below.

was i really ripped off? or it's normal price

Labour - 56.25

Nearside rear door latch/solenoid (1peace) - 164.70

VAT - 44.19

TOTAL - 265.14

Edited by Beeeeee on 25/02/2016 at 19:57

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Was I ripped off? - Ian D
Sounds reasonable, one hour or just over one hours labour plus the part, paid similar amount for a Ford S-Max rear lock repair
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Was I ripped off? - Cyd

That's a shade pricey for a door latch, but about what I'd expect for MB. When I used to engineer door latches for Rover Group in the 90s, about £120 apiece as spares was the going rate. I'd say the labour is quite fair.

Only just spotted the age of the car. Why didn't you go secondhand for the latch?

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Was I ripped off? - Beeeeee

I regret that actually coz we are planing on buying a new car next year. but my wife was panicking with the car door which opens when driving

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Was I ripped off? - elekie&a/c doctor

Most car door latch/actuators on modern cars cost between £100-£200.So on that basis I think you have had a fair deal.Also there is no way you can drive a car where the door is insecure .Just think of the implications .

I regret that actually coz we are planing on buying a new car next year. but my wife was panicking with the car door which opens when driving

Fair enough then, but we didn't know that from your OP though! Quite right to get it fixed asap if it's a daily driver.