What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2012 Ford Focus diesel 1.6 - Engine misfiring on start up - Binrock

On 2 occasions on startup there has been a loud rumbling and shaking of the engine and it feels as if there is a misfiring on the cylinders. On turning off and restarting there has been no problem.The Ford main dealer cannot find a problem and states there are no error codes. Mileage is 25k

2012 Ford Focus diesel 1.6 - Engine misfiring on start up - 3uga

Have one of these, a 80kw 1.6 tdci fited with dpf.

Had the same problem last winter an I realised it was related to the cold wather that made evident some problems, the injectors. Untill they warm up, injectors will have a delayd mechanical reaction. Parts inside are small and need as little friction as posible but as euro5 diesel has less lubricity, you get the point. I recomed adding an aditive to lube and clean the injectors as you go. In my case DuraLube did it and helped me in the past with a stuck open injector on my Fiat Stillo Jtd.

I use it when I have these sort of problems, usualy every 2-3 years, mainly in the cold season. If your car is fitted with a dpf, it will work.

Something new that I heard diesel owners do, is adding 2 stroke oil to diesel. While I do not recomed this for cars with dpf, owners say that using the jaso fc-fd spec oil wil not damage the dpf as it is designed for low emmisions/low ash and contains more detegent. 200ml at every 50l tank will do.

I'm waiting for my order of 2t oil from castrol. People have been using 2t oil in diesel on cars that usualy have a habbit of going through injectors and fuel pumps, increasing the durability of the fuel sistem.... I'm not sayng that this model has fuel pump problems, just that its fitted with CommonRail pump and are pretentios and do fail from time to time

Edited by 3uga on 13/02/2016 at 20:03

2012 Ford Focus diesel 1.6 - Engine misfiring on start up - leewilson73

Some of them like 10w40 oil instead of 5w30 oil all so get the engine hot put it in 3rd gear doing about 70mph at 5.5/6 rpm for 3/5miles and it will do and engine re gen which will clean out the dpf.

2012 Ford Focus diesel 1.6 - Engine misfiring on start up - focussed

Have one of these, a 80kw 1.6 tdci fited with dpf.

Had the same problem last winter an I realised it was related to the cold wather that made evident some problems, the injectors. Untill they warm up, injectors will have a delayd mechanical reaction. Parts inside are small and need as little friction as posible but as euro5 diesel has less lubricity, you get the point. I recomed adding an aditive to lube and clean the injectors as you go. In my case DuraLube did it and helped me in the past with a stuck open injector on my Fiat Stillo Jtd.

I use it when I have these sort of problems, usualy every 2-3 years, mainly in the cold season. If your car is fitted with a dpf, it will work.

Something new that I heard diesel owners do, is adding 2 stroke oil to diesel. While I do not recomed this for cars with dpf, owners say that using the jaso fc-fd spec oil wil not damage the dpf as it is designed for low emmisions/low ash and contains more detegent. 200ml at every 50l tank will do.

I'm waiting for my order of 2t oil from castrol. People have been using 2t oil in diesel on cars that usualy have a habbit of going through injectors and fuel pumps, increasing the durability of the fuel sistem.... I'm not sayng that this model has fuel pump problems, just that its fitted with CommonRail pump and are pretentios and do fail from time to time

I too have been adding about 0.3 litre of synthetic two-stroke oil to a full 70 litre tank of diesel for a couple of years on our old L200 truck - Mitsubishi 2,5 litre 4 cylinder IDI motor. The starting in cold weather is improved, not that it was a problem before but it now starts on the button with no winding over for 2-3 seconds, and there is a slight improvement in fuel consumption. It has a catalytic converter and no dpf. It's just passed its french mot with a very low smoke figure, less than 0.5 (can't remember the units they use over here) so 2 stroke seems to be doing good.