What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Stuck spark plug - argybargy

Hi All

Went to change my spark plugs this afternoon and the very first one I went to was stuck fast. I leaned on the plug spanner as hard as I dared, but no dice.

I'm not keen to risk breaking the plug by forcing it even harder, so my next thought is to spray some penetrating oil or WD40 into the hole and leave it overnight. However, by introducing oil or something similar into the plug housing would I risk contaminating the engine? I've seen it suggested on other forums, but thought I'd better ask here first.

Cheers

Just read elsewhere that its a good idea to try removing stubborn plugs when the engine is warm, so I'll take it for a run tomorrow then have another go.

I'd still appreciate advice as to whether penetrating oil or similar would be OK.

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Stuck spark plug - elekie&a/c doctor

Any release agent/fluid will be no problem used in small quantity.Defo get the engine warm.What tools are you using to remove the plugs?the ones you have may not be adequate.

Any release agent/fluid will be no problem used in small quantity.Defo get the engine warm.What tools are you using to remove the plugs?the ones you have may not be adequate.

Thanks for that. I haven't changed a set of plugs in many a year, so I had to start from scratch, tool-wise. First I purchased a 300mm, 16mm gauge spanner with an integral turning bar, only to find that as you move from left to right, vertical access to the plugs with such a long, rigid bar is made impossible by the plastic windscreen scuttle. So I'll need to purchase a hinged T bar spanner.

I'll get hold of some release fluid, warm up the engine and have another go.

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Stuck spark plug - Peter D

Buy a can of Loctite freeze release. Not use a thick plastic bag and form a cone around the plug by getting the hole size right. Spray the plug inside the cone as per the instructions on the can.

Now spray the plug socket and respray the plug wait 10 seconds and try and remove the plug. Usually works.

Regards Peter

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Stuck spark plug - elekie&a/c doctor

You need the right tools for this job.A spark plug socket,extension bar ,and a good solid ratchet.Spark plugs can get very tight.

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Stuck spark plug - Chris M

May be worth removing the plastic windscreen panel to enable better, vertical access.

Edited by Chris M on 11/02/2016 at 10:00

Thanks again to all.

I did consider removing the panel to access the plugs, but I used to have this car serviced by a mobile mechanic and I'm pretty sure he could always get to them without removing any bits of plastic first. Presumably he had a more comprehensive collection of tools.

Will tackle this over the weekend once I have the tools and the release fluid. Oh, and a plastic bag ;0).

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Stuck spark plug - medview

Make sure that the spark plug socket has only six sides, a proper hex, otherwise you risk rounded corners on the spark plug.

It sounds like you have insufficient leverage. Best if the engines hot before embarking on the removal.

Good luck.

Ford Focus 1.6 2007 - Stuck spark plug - John F

Sounds as though a cack-handed mechanic has not bothered with a torque wrench and screwed them up like head bolts. I've always been scared stiff of stripping the aluminium head thread, so once you have loosened them while warm, do them up again, then loosen more, then do up a bit, and so on, coaxing them out.

When you have half unscrewed them, get a thin tube and blow out any debris round the edges so grit doesn't fall into the cylinders.

Also, don't change them if they look OK - I took mine out at 32,000 just after I bought the car and they looked nearly as good as the new ones I'd bought for it, so I put them back in at 85,000 and I have only just recently changed them at 102,000.

Thanks again. Too late to take the advice about blowing debris out of the housings, but noted for next time.

I warmed the engine up, gave each spark housing a decent squirt of Plus Gas, waited for about 30 seconds and one by one they all shifted, though admittedy the one I initially had trouble with was still pretty stiff.

I'd bought a T bar spanner with a 16mm socket on Ebay and after screwing in the first plug I noticed that the rubber socket insert had disappeared. Needless to say it was still attached to the plug that I'd just fitted. I took it out, put it back in the socket, took the car for a run and all seems fine.

Its unlikely that I'll be changing the spark plugs on this car again, but hopefully the next owner will appreciate the coating of copper grease that I put on the threads before fitting them. Wish my mechanic had done the same!