New car - making a shortlist - Avant

The much-loved Octavia vRS estate will need to go sometime this year before the warranty runs out, and be replaced with something that (as SWMBO and I are semi-retired) may need to last longer than the usual 2 - 3 years.

Another vRS would be the obvious answer - with no need to start a thread - but for two things: (a) the vRS has substantial, quite firm, side bolsters on its sports seats which SWMBO, with a back problem and an arthritic knee, find it difficult to get in and out of; and (b) there are too many well-documented problems with VAG cars after the warranty expires, especially those with DSG. Plus - a change might be fun!

Maybe I expect too much from a car - although the three successive VRSs I've had have done the job brilliantly: plenty of zing but also the ability to pootle at low revs; at the same time 40 mpg on a long run (if it's a petrol); seat comfort; the ability to convert into a van; perhaps above all being so enjoyable to drive that you look forward to each trip.

People's views on the following shortlist would be much appreciated! In alphabetical order:

Audi Q3 Nice and high off the ground, but two friends in the village have them and both say there's no fun in driving them. One calls it a 'lump'. The automatic, called 'S-tronic- is basically a DSG.

BMW 2-series Active Tourer Silly name, but a good car that could be a front-runner. 220i petrol probably - I had five diesel cars in a row before this and the last Octavia and I'm not sure I want another. Front seats not the best, but dashboard and i-Drive controller very good. Automatic is a torque converter - good.

Ford C-Max A surprisingly strong contender, but I want to go back to an automatic and Ford's Powershift gearbox is all too similar to a DSG. Excellent driving position although the dashboard is a bit in-yer-face. Only decent engine is the 2.0 TDCI.

Lexus NX300h Lovely inside, high up and comfortable. But I tried the new hybrid and Toyota/Lexus still haven't got rid of the furious revving that comes with even a moderate attempt at acceleration. I don't want to reach 5000 rpm just getting back to 70 mph fron 50 mph on a motorway.

Nissan Qashqai Very comfortable and excellent driving position. But the steering seems curiously remote from the car as a whole. Good acceleration from the 1.6 pwetrol turbo but no fun to drive.

Renault Kadjar I haven't tried one but the only petrol engine is a 1.2 and the top 1.6 diesel has only 130 bhp. Not a ball olf fire, I suspect.

Subaru Forester I will be trying the XT Turbo: I'm no environmental freak but emissions of 197 g/km are a bit much even for me.

VW Golf SV So far no VW dealer can find a 1.4 TSI GT for me to try: I'd like to, but see above re DSG and general worries about longevity.

Volvo V60 Never mind the magazine road tests: this is a very strong contender and drives much better than they say. Probably the best seats in the business. Automatic is a torque-converter. I really liked it and SWMBO was comfortable. It's not just a matter of height off the ground - she gets in and out of her Mini Roadster without too much trouble.

Out of the running - Mercedes GLA, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Mazdas CX-3 and CX-5 - spare wheel not even an option and no space for one. Sorry - that's a deal-breaker. Must be something about makers beginning with M.

So shoot me down and/or tell me what I've forgotten. I'd prefer not to go over £30,000 after discounts.

Edited by Avant on 09/02/2016 at 23:59

New car - making a shortlist - xtrailman

I have a wheel well in my CX-5 that takes a space saver option, or a full size wheel that i have, but with 50mm loss of boot height, space saver gives a flat floor.

Drive an 184 Tucson AWD auto, full sized alloy spare wheel, and good to drive, although steering has a lot more "slack" compared to the CX-5.

Edited by xtrailman on 10/02/2016 at 07:55

New car - making a shortlist - slkfanboy

The DSG gearbox the VW use is made designed by BorgWarner in a Join Venture(JV) in the BorgWaner to the design and supply the kit to make the gearboxs. They also supply others like part of the FIAT system and are the largest suplier.

In the other camp is the GETRAG with Ford,BMW, Honda and others in simular JV arrangements. The BMW system I believe does have parts supply from BorgWarner thu.

Of all the system the BMW seams to have the least issues, when VAG has the most issues. The latest Box seams ok Thu. Ford had issues back in 2011 with oil seals and software which seam also OK now.

Merc have their own and Kia look to have their own system too. In the US the DSG style are a hard sell and not like at all.

New car - making a shortlist - DirtyDieselDogg

Perhaps, just perhaps, time to take a more "contrairian" approach,

i.e. perhaps the VA Group will now be forced to pull their socks up.

And discount prices at the same time.

& offer better warrenties at the very least

like renault had too as a result of the Laguna electrical faults fiasco

regards

M

New car - making a shortlist - 72 dudes

I'm a bit of a Volvo fan, so the V60 would be top of my list.

Over the years, I've had an S60 and V50 (both company cars) and more recently owned an S40. Premium feel without the bling of the Germans.

Unlike another thread, I had an excellent local Volvo dealer who were always friendly, helpful and efficient.

The BMW 2 series Active Tourer also appeals. I know you like to buy new, but how about a peek at a 1 or 2 year old C Class estate. it might be the previous shape for your budget, but the C180 petrol has an effieicent turbo engine (no longer supercharged) and I think you would like the driving experience.

New car - making a shortlist - cilvilservant

I can vouch for the V60, great car. But I have the "old" 5 cylinder engine, whereas the new ones are only 4 cylinders and apparently some are experiecing problems with the EGR:

www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

New car - making a shortlist - RickyBoy

Not on your list Avant but if you can find the time why not take a spin in that new Kia Optima, if only to rule it out.

I know it's only currently available in the UK as a 1.7 diesel but there will surely be petrol variants on their way in the near future?

Offers a quite luxurious interior (with electric memory seating, etc. if comfort is seemingly your thing) and the '4' derivative is at least £1K+ below your max budget, and that's before you start negotiating!

New car - making a shortlist - skidpan

Volvo V60 Never mind the magazine road tests: this is a very strong contender and drives much better than they say. Probably the best seats in the business. Automatic is a torque-converter. I really liked it and SWMBO was comfortable. It's not just a matter of height off the ground - she gets in and out of her Mini Roadster without too much trouble

Intersting that. My Leon 1.4 TSI is up for replacement within the next year and the V60 is near the top of the list.

We have 2 at work (both diesels) and have had no issues, the users like them.

The spec looks good and the broker prices are brilliant, just over £20k for a 2.0 litre turbo petrol T3 SE, that over 7K off at Carfile.net.

Need to go and look at one some time and if my worries are unfounded drive one if they can find me a petrol (the last time I went to try a petrol Volvo the dealer told me they did not sell them).

My worries are:

Boot space. The figures show its bigger than my Leon so that should be fine but how much is robbed by having the spare wheel. A tape will reaveal all.

Rear seat legroom. Providing its as good as the Leon it will be fine but a bit more would be welcome.

Seat height. Preferably should be a bit higher than the Leon but providing its no lower it would be fine.

New car - making a shortlist - John F

or tell me what I've forgotten. I'd prefer not to go over £30,000 after discounts.

Double figures 'short'?! High annual mileage and/or tax deductible - must be to justify so much on a new wasting asset. (In 36yrs I have spent merely £28k on four cars for myself and still have two of them, both of which will probably last longer than me.)

But I really wanted to ask why Citroen C4 Picasso not on list - an autowise friend of mine has one and it seems a comfortable commendable motor.

New car - making a shortlist - Happy Blue!

A few thoughts...

1. Why only new? Especially if buying a petrol. Find a nearly new BMW X1 or X3 and you may get a great car with better seats than the Active Tourer which has poor seats apparently.

2. I have driven a Focus with the Powershift gearbox. In some respects very good but with the manual change operated as a switch on the side of the gearstick. After using my Merc for a few months I find paddleshift much better. However they are fine driving cars.

3. Jeep Renegade??

New car - making a shortlist - Chrishunt

Re the BMW 2 series Active Tourer - appalling front seat for me but my wife found hers very comfortable during a long distance drive (12 hours). I suspect the problem is that the seats are just too small for an average sized person and above. Apart from the seats it is a very good car with a good range of engines.

New car - making a shortlist - bazza

If potential long term reliability is putting you off another Skoda, you could buy an extended 5year warranty and keep to manual, petrol versions, possibly a slightly less sporty version to avoid the bolster seats. Otherwise, you may as well cross off all the other VAG choices as they're all the same underneath the badge and trim. The BMW too, I would suggest, might be an expensive one to run, particularly outside warranty. If you want long term durability, you simply have to look to Japanese, but might have to compromise on the driving experience a little. Toyotas tend to be extremely tough but fairly bland, so why not look at a Mazda 6 petrol or the new Civic tourer 1.8 - have a test drive maybe? I can't comment on the others except to say, the Fords we have owned have been superb to drive, if lacking slightly in the feel good factor, although completely reliable.

New car - making a shortlist - gordonbennet

I really hope you concentrate on the strengths of the Forester and not it's emissions, the extra warranty and sure footed wet handling of the full time 4WD alone will i suspect compensate for the extra fuel and tax costs.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/02/2016 at 20:39

New car - making a shortlist - KB.

You will, undoubtedly, have looked at it or at least given it thought..........but your emphasis on seating leads me to remind you to , maybe, look at a Yeti again. Perhaps I recall you might have said the seat is too far set in away from the sill and necessitated too great a step over in to the seat?

I'm of average height at 5'10" and not exactly underweight with all manner of aches and pains...back, knees, etc.... and it's been a joy to enter and exit ... and comfortable for the Mrs. and I for five years. And I don't have the electric seat adjustment that you can get and which, evidently, offers greater adjustment, options and support. You know all about six and seven spedd DSGs if you wanted automatic (something I have, and love, and would have again without a second thought).

You can get quite posh versions with bells and whistles and in some nice colours too.

But you know more than most what's what so I imagine you'll get there given the amount of research and footwork you'll put in to the endeavour.

Thank you so much for very helpful comments and suggestions. Keep them coming! A few further thoughts in response:

Volvo V60 - I should have said the one I tried was the D4 version: definitely the engine to have and it could persuade me to go back to diesel. We must look at the Cross Country version and see if the extra height is worth the extra cost.

BMW 2-series Active Tourer: I consulted HJ who was helpful as ever - and he thinks that the X1 is likely to hold its value better then the 2. This is because people are going for SUVs or 'crossovers' in preference to MPVs (although I think sometimes the distinction is blurred). So we'll have a look at the X1.

I didn't put any Citroen or Peugeot in the list as I don't like touchscreens at the best of times (I'm right-handed and not in the least ambidextrous), and I'm not prepared to take my eye off the road just to do something basic like adjusting the temperature in the car.

Mazda CX-5 - you can't have a petrol automatic and the jury still seems to be out on whether Mazda have nailed their diesel engine problems.

I will of course look at all the suggestions. I've had FWD cars since 1970, and 2.0 litre + cars since 1980, so I'll stick with the formula that suits us best. I do 15,000 miles a year or so, wth a lot of pootling in country roads but also regularly going to Berkshire to see family and friends. I'm very fond of the fast, comfortable car I have already: I'm sure I can find something to match it, probably with a torque-converter auto.

I need it to last a long time, so although I'm well aware of all the arguments, I think on balance it's worth buying new, with a PCP to start with and hopefully being able to settle before too long.

New car - making a shortlist - oldtyke
If it was my pennies it would be Japanese, petrol/ hybrid and nearly new with extendable manufacturers warranty.
We've never been attached to brands just like real not perceived quality.
Current cars are nearly new Subary Outback(mine) 13 Lexus RX450h(wife).
Chose Lexus GS for work above all the other exec brands (50,000 miles per year)
Private cars the odd German which usually had significant issues (all new/ nearly new) but in the main Toyota, Honda , Mazda, Lexus, Subaru for virtually trouble free motoring, we still do around 25000 between us even in retirement.
Toyota/ Lexus/ Subaru all 5 year extendable warranties.
You don't express a preference for FWD//RWD/4WD,
Best cars we have had in recent years Lexus IS 300h, Subaru Forester XT DIT, and current cars.
Had Forester for 2 1/2 yrs 41000 miles, good car comfortable, quick, especially midrange, averaged 32mpg(not driven slowly) much more refined than the older school scoobs. Only changed because the Outback is bigger and higher specification.
The RX 450h is just such understated quality a very comfortable place to be and has the best seats I've ever sat in, oh and it shifts. Bought at 18 months old at just over £30000, extendable warranty up to 140000 miles.
All our cars in recent years have been CVTs with/without paddles, never had any issues reliability or performance wise, several have been Hybrids. Never had issues with over revving like the the hacks complain of. They don't require kick down like an auto and best acceleration comes from gas pedal at abou 25% and then progressive, foot to the floor is not the correct technique.
I would bet that Japanese hybrid reliability is unsurpassed by any other Manufacturer/engine configuration.
Good luck with your search.

If it was my pennies it would be Japanese, petrol/ hybrid and nearly new with extendable manufacturers warranty.

We have 3 hybrids at work as company cars, the users love them, decent economy and very little company car tax.

On paper the Auris Tourer looks to be exactly the car for us but having been in them as passenger the noise the engine makes when you attempt to press on (or even keep up with traffic) as the CVT slips (or whatever it does) is wearing to put it kindly. Compared to my Leon 1.4 TSi there is no way I would want to do 400+ miles in a day in one (even on the motorway). The users agree they are an acquired taste but the ££££'s saved tips the balance.

So if ones free its fine but not with my own money.

New car - making a shortlist - xtrailman

From what the yanks say, who mainly drive auto, most wouldn't give a CVT garage space.

From what most auto owners on the caravan forums say a TC auto is preferably.

I only have experience with my CX-5 TC auto which i think is fine, but its the only auto I've had, i would have bought it even if it was a DSG to be honest, as i think the boxes have been around enough time now to sort out most problems?

But i do lose around 3 mpg compared to a manual i had previously, i think it needs another gear personally.

New car - making a shortlist - madf

I have driven a CVT Jazz for nearly 4 years. Intelligent drivers adapt to CVT foibles - and drive accordingly. The net results is a smooth drive and little increase in journey time.

Of course, if you drive hard and brake for every corner/traffic light it WILL be noisy. But only motoring journalists whose IQ must average 97 will do so.

New car - making a shortlist - steelghost

I don't think our Avensis (1.8 "Valvematic" with Multidrive CVT) revs any harder than an equivalent manual one would, to get the same performance - at least not once one gets the hang of how to manage the transmission. If I really need to get a move on I just tap one of the paddles and decide how far up the rev range I want to push before I change.

It's a naturally aspirated engine so it can't feel as gutsy as a turbo would - on the other hand there's no turbo to go wrong.

On cross country routes the manual mode works well to keep the rubber-banding down - around town it's very smooth in D.

I think the Americans' perception of CVT has been coloured by a) the (apparently) poor reliability of the Nissan one, and b) the fact they are typically fitted to "econoboxes" and as such, have (relatively) small engines that sound revvy compared to a V6/8, which seem to have too much torque for a CVT.

Edited by steelghost on 15/02/2016 at 16:52

New car - making a shortlist - craig-pd130

Volvo V60 is a very, very good car (I'm on my second) but petrol engine choices are limited - I think you can only get the 150bhp T3. The 180bhp T4 that is available in mainland Europe isn't available from the Volvo website, although a dealer might be able to do a special order.

I've got the 'new' 4 cylinder twin-turbo D4. Cracking engine but it has significant problems with the EGR system which is requiring serial warranty work (I'm about to get my second replacement EGR valve and cooler in 18 months, and some owners are already on their third). It's an excellent car in ALL other respects but I would not buy a diesel variant with my own money yet.

New car - making a shortlist - bazza

That would be enough for me to offload it and never darken Volvos door again! Is that the new Euro 6 engine then? I suspect a lot of manufacturers will suffer reliability problems as the complexity of emission control increases exponentially.

Coming back to Avant's quest for a new car, I had forgotten his need for something higher riding. There is of course the RAV4 or the Honda CRV, although neither will drive like a VRS. I've been a lurker on some US forums lately and the C max seems very pleasing to owners over there.

New car - making a shortlist - sammy1

I would check with Honda re their CRV apparantly their screen washers cannot cope with Hard water [see HJ replies today] do Halfords sell Milton baby steralising fluid or will Honda give you a life time supply with their cars?

Seriously, this is the best exuse yet for dealer to refuse work.

Craig - the salesman says that the V60 EGR problem affected only early models with the D4 engine (well he would wouldn't he). Do you know if it's a problem for newer ones? I'll probably wait for the 2017 model year version if I do go for a V60.
New car - making a shortlist - craig-pd130
Craig - the salesman says that the V60 EGR problem affected only early models with the D4 engine (well he would wouldn't he). Do you know if it's a problem for newer ones? I'll probably wait for the 2017 model year version if I do go for a V60.

The salesman is talking through his hat, I'm afraid. On the Volvo UK forums, the EGR valve / cooler problem is affecting ALL models and model years fitted with Volvo's new VEA D4 engine (the twin-turbo version), from 2014 to present day (S/V60, XC60, V40).

I am on good terms with my supplying dealer (the biggest Volvo chain in the country) and the dealer service manager confirms this is the case. As mentioned, my car is getting its second replacement EGR valve and cooler next week. Some cars are on their third replacement. Volvo is apparently "close to a permanent fix" for the problem. However, it's taken them two years since the VEA engine was launched ... and counting.

This isn't just a UK problem, either - it's happening in all markets where the D4 engine is available. I would estimate from the Volvo forums that 95% of cars with the D4 engine will develop the problem.

Without wishing to bore you, Volvo chose the heavy-duty EGR route to achieving Euro 6 NOx emissions compliance, rather than AdBlue. So the VEA engine has a watercooled EGR cooler with serpentine passages inside. This seems to be inadequately designed, and quickly clogs up with sooty gunk from the exhaust gas (the tap-off for recycling is before the DPF) and the traces of oil that inevitably finds its way everywhere.

It makes no difference whether owners use premium or supermarket diesel, or what mix of driving owners do (high motorway miles versus urban driving) - it affects all cars, usually within 6 to 9 months and 5,000 - 10,000 miles.

In my view, Volvo has been extremely lucky that, in the majority of cases, this problem doesn't actually affect performance or driveability, it just throws a 'Check Engine' light. Only a fraction of owners have had their cars go into limp mode as a result of the problem.

If more cars were stopping / going into limp mode as a result of this problem, I genuinely think Volvo would be in serious financial mire by now. As it is, it must be costing them an absolute fortune in warranty work, as changing the EGR valve and cooler is at least 3 - 4 hours of workshop time.

It's a shame as it's a cracking engine in a good car: smooth, huge punch and economical too. Volvo Cars has bet its future on this motor, and being a small manufacturer, they need to get it right. I really hope they haven't messed it up by inadequate pre-production testing. As it is, they are risking spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

New car - making a shortlist - daveyjp

If BMW Sportstourer is on the list, any reason why B class not being considered? Spare wheel issue?

New car - making a shortlist - 72 dudes

If BMW Sportstourer is on the list, any reason why B class not being considered? Spare wheel issue?

Avant had a previous model B Class and didn't like it at all from memory.

As a MB fan, I don't rate the B Class, wooden to drive with a lumpy ride.

The C Class Estate on the other hand is a magnificent beast, but Avant won't entertain slightly used!

used.mercedes-benz.co.uk/used/2015/mercedes-benz/c...l

Not tempted? There's some from £23k and they are the latest model.

Edited by 72 dudes on 12/02/2016 at 11:37

You'll think me unimaginative, but I'm not tempted by RWD I'm afraid, partly because I've had FWD cars for 40+ years, partly because we live in a rural Dorset village on the side of a hill.

B-class - in fairness I'd have liked mine more if it had been a petrol. Friends have a 62-registered diesel B200 and they say it's a lot quieter then the B-class they had before. Maybe worth a look and you can have a spare wheel as an option I think, although your 'wooden' verdict is similar to most of the road testers.

The trouble with 'nearly new' is that it's fine if you get a car run by the maker's management, but you might also get one which a customer has traded in because they can't stand the sight of it any more. I've been lucky (touch wood) with cars over the years, being fortunate enough to buy new. I run them in according to most people's modern thinking - drive normally but avoid extremely high or low revs - and I like to think that has helped.

New Tiguan due very soon. FWD with 150 PS 1.4 TSi looks very tempting to me.

New car - decision time - Avant

I've taken my time, and the search has been fun - but I've gone for the Volvo V60. It's the D4 SE Nav with 8-speed torque converter automatic.

The final three in contention were the Volvo and the Audi Q3 as mentioned above, and an additional runner which I'd overlooked, the VW Golf Alltrack estate. Both BMWs in the frame, the X1 and 2-series Active Tourer, turned out to be too expensive. My preferred method, to get quotes from one or more brokers and try to get the local dealer to match them, failed because BMW won't deal with some brokers and have very mean offers with others. With these two models at least, there is very little discounting: the X1 of course is a new model.

The Q3 just wasn't as sharp to drive as the current Octavia, but the 4WD Golf was much better and I liked it a lot. It has more luggage room than the Volvo and a better turning circle, but like the Octavia vRS it has substantial side bolsters on the front seats which SWMBO found just as difficult, particularly when getting out.

The Volvo - in my view at least - is just as good to drive as the Golf and the BMWs, and although it isn't particularly high off the ground, seat comfort and ease of entry and exit were far the best.

In both cases the local dealers in Yeovil managed to meet the price quoted by the broker. I spoke to the service manager at Yeovil Volvo who readily admitted the EGR problem, but said that Volvo have (in the last few weeks) found a fix and that new cars won't have the problem. We shall see - but on balance it's a lesser risk than of something going wrong with a VW Group DSG.

Hopefully it'll be no more than 2 months (factory order) but I'm in no hurry. The Skoda - my third - has been terrific and I'll miss it.

New car - decision time - KB.

Ta for the update and very much hope it all works out well. Hope you will offer regular thoughts.

New car - decision time - cilvilservant

I'm bias, but trust me, it's a great car.

New car - decision time - mark999
Octavia 4x4 or Scout, or if it's nor too big the Superb 4x4
New car - decision time - Avant

I did think of the Scout - a vRS without the bolstered seat - but it has a very wide door sill which is another problem.