What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parkers and Glass, difference. - cjdavies

I am looking to buy and saw an ad on Autotrader, Ford Fiesta 2011 reg for £5500, 54000 miles and only 4 miles from me from an independent dealer.

Checked on Parkers for valuation:
Franchised Dealer - £5390
Independent Dealer - £4895
Private Good - £4645

Based on average 50,000 miles.

I also check Glass:
Dealer Retail - £6230 to £7460
Private Sale - £5320-£6370

I assume Glass is averaging 50,000 miles also.

I expect a difference between dealer and private due to business costs but it's more of a difference between Parkers and Glass in regards to a Dealer.

Which is more reliable? Is there any others to use? If it helps I am looking for around 2011/2012 vehicle.

Edited by cjdavies on 02/02/2016 at 22:55

Parkers and Glass, difference. - Avant

That seems a very big difference. Are you sure it's exactly the same model of Fiesta? - there'll be a difference between a 1.0 basic model and a 1.6 Titanium.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what the guides say: decide which model of 2011-12 Fiesta you are after, and look for that specific model both on Autotrader and in your local press. That way you'll know what the price range is in real life.

Parkers and Glass, difference. - NARU

The guides can be terribly wrong. I put my car into a couple recently and they came out at around 9-10k. But you can't find them (at this time of year, I'm talking a big 4x4) for less than 13-14k anywhere.

Even WBAC offers 12k.

But my car is a little less common. I'd have expected the guides to be closer on a fiesta. Are they making the same assumptions about car age?

Parkers and Glass, difference. - cjdavies

Hi both, I typed in the VRM, from the vehicle, so I would assume they are matching the trim model, I will double check.

Parkers and Glass, difference. - RT

The guides can be terribly wrong. I put my car into a couple recently and they came out at around 9-10k. But you can't find them (at this time of year, I'm talking a big 4x4) for less than 13-14k anywhere.

Even WBAC offers 12k.

But my car is a little less common. I'd have expected the guides to be closer on a fiesta. Are they making the same assumptions about car age?

4wd SUVs go up in price over winter, not by that much but the opposite of continuous depreciation and they do drop like a stone in spring so there's no long-term gain.

WBAC prices vary weekly and AFAIK they're based on what cars are fetching at BCA auctions, less their cut of course - they're owned by BCA so have full access to the figures.

I have noticed over the years thats the guides can differ enormously, but then so can regional differences. I don't know if it's still true but it used to be said that the Midlands was cheapest and the South-East the most expensive.

Parkers and Glass, difference. - slkfanboy

Basically it's a waste of time trying to use the guide prices. The cost of the same car will vary based on your location which is not factored in the guides.

Dealers will adjust prices to be competive within 50 miles or so. Many don't own the cars they sell and therefore are working to tight fixed margins. Often they will have car to draw the punters priced at internet low and the car they want to sell you with a bit more fat!

The best option for you is to pick your price and use your favored search tool and select cars. Phone the dealer and ask to the exact car you want and make sure you can buy it that day, if you like it and it's in perfect condition.

Last car I purchased the dealer confirmed all this and the car had a dent. It was good leaver for me to get the sales man to discount another perfect condition car with less milage for the same price.

P.S. don't discount a main agent as they have access to more cars then Indies and often a better bet when things go wrong.

Avoid holding deposits if posiable.