What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio - Handbrake loose - caused by 'repairs' garage - New and confused

Is it normal for my handbrake lever to become loose over 6 days?

It went to the garage and came back loose. The travel has increased - it used to stop around 5 clicks up but now it's around 9. I can drive with it up on 6 clicks of the ratchet and if I hold on the clutch and go past biting point the car easily moves in 1st or reverse. This all changed in just 6 days out of my view...

I had a crash where my handbrake was on and I was hit from behind. The car seemed fine and I had no issues. Car was taken away on insurance company say so to be fixed by a repairer of their choice. Repairer confirmed they did no work on my car other than replace bumper.

They claim wear and tear. My car was serviced and drums fine in Sept 2015.

I don't do any heavy driving, no harsh braking and I do not park on any steep hills with handbrake on.

I'd like some opinions and advice please... I'm not mechanically minded and I'm female so I feel the garage think they are going to just take the **** and make me pay for a repair I don't need. I know my car has come back with a shoddy handbrake that I feel they caused.

Renault Clio - Handbrake loose - caused by 'repairs' garage - oldroverboy.

Take it to Kwikfit or simlar for a free brake check it may just be adjustment as the accidemt has knocked all the dustfrom the lining materials off (if it has drum brakes on thr back)

Either way the check is free. if they see damage they will tell you and you can ask them to fix and then claim for the "damage".

you don't say how old the car is.

Thanks for the advice - it's 3 years old.

I did ask the repairers to tighten the cable when I took it back today as it feels too slack. I can lift up to the 2nd notch with my little finger and no exertion without compressing the button.

Being told any work done without the 'yes' from insurers could result in my claim being void and having to pay for the costs so far.

Renault Clio - Handbrake loose - caused by 'repairs' garage - 2fast4u
Hi, I am
no means an
expert but to me sounds like a snapped parking brake cable to one of the rear brakes.

Thanks 2fast4u.

I did wonder after reading some forums so thought I'd get as much advice as possible so I'm not on the back foot !

Duplicate post.

Edited by Avant on 29/01/2016 at 20:49