Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - DACraddock

Our 2015 Yeti started making a metallic clicking noise when turning on extreme lock, and only started doing so at 1400 miles.. Dealer confirmed noise from CV joint, but said it was normal for this car and will therefore take no action. It is my third Yeti and this has not happened with the others. Do you think this is normal? If not, any suggestions please? Dealer not allowed to carry out work under warranty unless sanctioned from head office. Is the car safe like this? Thank you.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - RobJP

Send a letter to the dealer, by recorded delivery (make sure you keep the posting receipt), detailing the fault, that it has been in (include the date it was in), and that they feel it is not a fault and refuse to do any work on it. Explain in the letter that you are sending it (and doing the proof of postage) in the case of any future failures or warranty (or post-warranty) claims. Send a further copy (reg post not required) to Skoda head office UK.

As to is the car safe ? Yes, it most likely is. If you really wanted to get it checked for your own peace of mind, take it to an independent garage (NOT a fast-fit cowboy place), and ask them to examine it. However you will have to pay for such an examination, and even if they felt there was a fault, you'd be unlikely to get such expense back from Skoda.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - daveyjp

Or to test their statement ask to drive another Yeti and see if it really is normal.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - Peter.N.

If the joint is clicking on full lock the joint is worn - end of story.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - Oli rag

Total bull from the dealer. A CV joint should be silent regardless of whether it's on full lock or not, unless it's worn.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - madf

Our 2003 Toyota Yaris D4D Had a slight rattle from CV joints on full lock when we bought it secondhand 11 years ago. It still has. Passed every MOT. no issues in driving it..

It happens,

(Mind you given VAG's lack of concern from customers I would go down the complain in writing route as they are appalling.)

Edited by madf on 28/01/2016 at 11:40

Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - Avant

All three of my Octavia vRSs have made (from new) a low rumbling noise from that area on full lock. I was told it was normal and have had no problems. It clearly isn't wear in this case, although a loud clicking would be.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 tdi Outdoor SE 1900 miles - Noisy CV Joint - galileo

Our 2015 Yeti started making a metallic clicking noise when turning on extreme lock, and only started doing so at 1400 miles.. Dealer confirmed noise from CV joint, but said it was normal for this car and will therefore take no action. It is my third Yeti and this has not happened with the others. Do you think this is normal? If not, any suggestions please? Dealer not allowed to carry out work under warranty unless sanctioned from head office. Is the car safe like this? Thank you.

Many years ago, when Austin 1100s were first released, sales engineers from our company were provided these. A year or so later, one was unfortunately killed, the cause was a CV joint seizing and throwing the car into a tree.

CV joints have no doubt improved since those days (as have built in safety features like seat belts/airbags etc) but I would not be happy with a possibly defective CV joint.