What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Granada 1990 2.OL d.o.h.c. - ABS problem - BDP

I have run this car from new with few problems. However, I have been unable so far to find a solution/company who has been able to offeer any repair/replacement since this manifested itself some 2 years agao. By process of elimination it has been diagnosed that a sticking valve in the abs valve block is causing residual pressure - in one brake line only - that to the right front disc - so that the pads are always in contact with the disc. Immediately following a few miles drive, it is impossible to turn the r.h. road wheel by hand when jacked up; if the vehicle is left for an hour or so it is then just possible with considerable effort to move the road wheel round. No warning light appears on the dash so no defect is detected. Ford Company, Ford main dealership and so far remanufacturing companies have been unable to help but those who have examined the vehicle agree that it is most likely that there is one sticking valve in the valve block. The system is by Teves and appears to be unusual in the sense that the valve block is separate from the pump and accumulator by being located on the opposite side the engine compartment to the other components of the system whereas all pictures I have seen of Granada abs systems show the valve block securedp to the other components. I believe the 1990 Granada was the first to have abs; total vehical mileage is about 130k. Can you help?

Ford Granada 1990 2.OL d.o.h.c. - ABS problem - Bolt

As I recall they started fitting on 86/87 model but only the scorpio had it to start with, late 87 it filtered to the lower models but never known a problem with one.

They did as far as I recall have caliper cylinder seal problems they leaked water and siezed

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TaNEqwbGCqYC&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=first+granada+to+have+abs&source=bl&ots=n2ape6mZ3H&sig=yS8s6dTnYstEqfCYs15Hi40ZePw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcy9nkv8LKAhWE1RQKHZw3DwUQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=first%20granada%20to%20have%20abs&f=false

Ford Granada 1990 2.OL d.o.h.c. - ABS problem - RT

The 1985-on Granada/Scorpio had ABS as standard across the range

"The most notable advance was the fitment of anti-lock braking system, the first time this feature had been made standard across the whole range on a mass-produced car." - Wikipedia

The model range was generally known as Scorpio apart from the UK where that was reserved for the top trim model, the less versions retaining the Granada name until the bug-eyed mk2 when Granada was finally dropped in the UK.

It's worth searching for similar faults/fixes for Sierra as these models used the Sierra platform and drivetrain.

Edited by RT on 24/01/2016 at 13:24

Ford Granada 1990 2.OL d.o.h.c. - ABS problem - elekie&a/c doctor

When the Granada/Scorpio range was intriduced 1984/5 one of the key safety points was Abs standard across the whole range,whatever the engine size or trim level.Originally the abs pump and modulator was one unit,but as the model progressed over the years,the brake distribution unit was split from the main body and located on the left inner wing panel,under battery tray.I have seen this problem before caused by a fault with the valve block.It is the same as found on Sierra models.Breakers may be your best bet.

elekie&a/c doctor - Thanks for your comments - have looked at breakers but so far no joy. Yes, the valve block is located under the battery tray as you mentioned.

Edited by BDP on 24/01/2016 at 17:34

Thanks for correcting me on the introduction date of ABS on the Granada range.

Ford Granada 1990 2.OL d.o.h.c. - ABS problem - dadbif
Are you sure it's not something as simple as a sticking piston in the caliper ?