What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - graham123

I recently bought a used (3 year old) car. A 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 105bhp (petrol) with 18 000 miles on the clock.

I had the car for just a few weeks when I noticed smoke coming from underneath the bonnet whilst driving up a steep hill. I went back to the Ford garage where I bought it this morning. The service manager came out to look under the bonnet to see if he could see the problem. He said he thought it was coming from the clutch. He then went on to say to me that it was my driving that was causing it! I am 80 years old and have been driving for 55 years!

When I questioned his attitude towards both me and the car he flounced off without trying to resolve the issue with me in an adult way. Do you know anyone who behaves like this?

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - alan1302

When I questioned his attitude towards both me and the car he flounced off without trying to resolve the issue with me in an adult way. Do you know anyone who behaves like this?

It will depend of course how you treated him as well - which we don't know.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - skidpan

If the clutch is smoking going uphill it is slipping. The 2 most common causes will be 1) its cream crackered 2) you are driving with your foot resting on the pedal. If its no. 2 it will soon be no. 1.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - RobJP

I love these "I'm 80/85, and been driving for half a century" statements. They imply that as you get older, your driving MUST get better.

Well guess what. You've been using your eyes for the last 80 years. So by your logic, your eyesight MUST be getting better every year.

No ?

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - skidpan

The thing is the OP may have been driving carefully for half a century but the car he has bought is 3 years old and may well have been driven by loads of muppets during its life which has cream crackered the clutch.

As I hinted above, new clutch required.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Wolfan

I love these "I'm 80/85, and been driving for half a century" statements. They imply that as you get older, your driving MUST get better.

Well guess what. You've been using your eyes for the last 80 years. So by your logic, your eyesight MUST be getting better every year.

No ?

Unless the op's previous car was changed because the clutch burnt out (which we don't know) I don't see the point of your caustic comment, whilst I appreciate most drivers abilities do deteriorate with age people don't suddenly start riding or slipping the clutch. The garage employee probably had a similar attitude to the elderly as you.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Graham567

No ?

I don't know why you bother posting on here.All you comments are nasty,belittling and downright rude.No wonder alot of posters never return.If i was Avant i would edit most of your posts.If you cannot reply helpfully then don't bother replying at all.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Avant

If you bought the car only a few weeks ago, it probably isn't your fault: with only 18,000 miles done in 3 years, the previous owner has probably been clutch-riding all the way to the shops.

Unfortunately clutches are always classed as wear-and-tear items, and you'd probably only get anythong out of the supplying dealer if the clutch had slipped as soon as you drove it away.

Best to find an independent garage who should be able to fit a new clutch cheaper than the dealer and hopefully treat you like a customer.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - gordonbennet

What happened to the customer is always right.

OP assuming you didn't berate the patronising twerp for his attitude, i'd be inclined to write to the dealer principal and enquire if this is how they treat their customers, then depending on the answer you should bear in mind Avants good advice about finding a trusted indy to fix this...with LUK parts.

As things stand this bombsite (for this is not the attitude of a main dealer service manager unless his voice is still breaking) would never see another penny of my dosh.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - oldroverboy.

I have seen both sides of the above post.

I saw a customer trying to claim for a faulty starter motor when they were given an identical one to the one they brought in (which itself was not the correct fitment) but we declined warranty as they had asked for an exchange for that starter and the part number was onit.

Once when i bought a used car i was offered insurance for a moderate sum against failure of battery brakes and clutch but included in the sale price. I took it. Who knows withan ex fleet/hire car.

Perhaps the OP can request a meeting get the car fixed and get someone to monitor his driving to see if he is "riding the clutch"

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Ben 10
Some Ford models are known for the clutches and or flywheels going breasts up below 20k. Think there is a problem with clutches on the latest Focus series, where they trot out the, you've probably been riding the clutch, when apparently it's a part at fault. Even if it's a generic fault, they will point out in the warranty that clutches are wear and tear and not covered. Now matter how low the mileage. What a get out.
It's not always the fault of the driver or their method of driving. I tend to believe the OP that he does not ride the clutch, though maybe the previous owner did. Even so these new generations of clutches don't seem to be made to last.
Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - focussed

I would write a letter to the dealer principal of that dealership describing how you have been treated and include the inference from the service manager that reason that the clutch has failed is because you have been riding the clutch.

I would go on to say that you are giving the dealership the opportunity to repair the clutch fault within the next 14 days.

And if they fail to take up your offer within the 14 day period that you will get the clutch repaired elsewhere and you will expect them to pay the bill-if they then refuse to poppy up you will sue them in the county court.

Add that this will give them a chance to explain to the court how the previous owner of the car did not damage the clutch but the current owner did.

Send this letter registered post addressed to the dealer principal/company secretary.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Wackyracer
Have to agree with you, two sides to every story.

I worked for a man years ago who kept burning out clutches in his Range Rover. As he bought the car new and was a good customer, the dealer kept changing them every 3 months or so until in the end they suggested he should change it for an auto, which he did. I went out with him once in the managers car (a Mazda 626 manual) and he was riding the clutch all the time.

What happened to the customer is always right.

Have you ever dealt directly with customers?

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Steveieb
Could this be the same problem that HJ investigated on behalf of watchdog ?

The problem turned out to be a batch of faulty clutch slave cylinders which caused the clutch to burn out.

This could explain the attitude of the service manager.

Can someone find the link on BBC I player. It featured Dom Littlewood
Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - gordonbennet

What an odd thing to say, yes of course i've dealt with customers, i deal with them every day, if it comes to it my employer is my main customer, same anyone who works for a living.

The company i work for is totally customer oriented, possibly why when others in the same business took a dowturn during the recession (some going broke) the company i work for grew constantly and is still growing at an increasing rate after some 130 years, the garage in question could do worse than take a leaf from their book.

I could just imagine the feedback on my Ops Mg's desk had i been as patronising to one of our customers as the service geezer was to the OP, my feet and floor would not meet.

What an odd thing to say, yes of course i've dealt with customers, i deal with them every day, if it comes to it my employer is my main customer, same anyone who works for a living.

The company i work for is totally customer oriented, possibly why when others in the same business took a dowturn during the recession (some going broke) the company i work for grew constantly and is still growing at an increasing rate after some 130 years, the garage in question could do worse than take a leaf from their book.

I could just imagine the feedback on my Ops Mg's desk had i been as patronising to one of our customers as the service geezer was to the OP, my feet and floor would not meet.

It's not an odd thing to say. You said whatever happened to the customer is always right. If you deal with customers you know that very often they aren't.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - bathtub tom

The OP states: "I am 80 years old and have been driving for 55 years"

Then surely they could diagnose a slipping clutch?

The OP states: "I am 80 years old and have been driving for 55 years"

Then surely they could diagnose a slipping clutch?

You'd think that if there was visible smoke from the clutch slipping (burning) then the OP being an experienced driver would have come to the conclusion quite quickly. It would stink of burning.

Edited by Wackyracer on 14/01/2016 at 22:33

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - scot22

Of course customers cannot always literally be right. However, I think we are talking about a principle of putting customer satisfaction first. If a customer feels aggrieved then it will damage a business's reputation in some way. I suggest that, within reason, the priority should be happy customers.

I will add I was disgusted by the ageist comment made earlier in the thread. It was unnecessary and unjustified.

I agree, Scot (with both paras) and with Graham567's comment near the top of the thread. I left the offensive comment in as others' following posts would have been meaningless otherwise.

In fairness to RobJP, he is I think suspecting the work of a troll, in the light of some rather odd questions asked by the same OP, sometimes more than once, in this section and in Technical.

I'm inclined to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, although it's noticeable that he doesn't come back to thank us or comment further in any of the posts.

Edited by Avant on 15/01/2016 at 00:06

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Engineer Andy

Maybe he's too tired to comment, after all, he has been driving for 55 years! I would be.

:-) TGI Friday humour.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - scot22

Like it. Works with my sense of humour.

Very good EA, I like your sense of humour.

As do I - although on the whole it's a good thing you said T G I Friday, with a G.......

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - Engineer Andy

Better than TFI Friday, with and 'F' (the not-so-polite version).

;-)

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - P3t3r

There's something I'm not clear about. How were you driving up the hill?

Were you cruising at 15+mph without using the clutch?

Were you going slowly and needed to slip the clutch eg. doing 5-15mph in 1st gear?

If your left foot was sat on the floor and nowhere near the pedal then it's probably a faulty/worn clutch. If you foot was on the clutch pedal then the your driving may have been a factor.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - meldrew

If the OP was a careless clutch dragger he would probably have knackered many clutches over the years. I can't imagine the dealer gets this problem every day of the week so would have expected an element of compromise at least.

Looks like the oldies are getting a bit of a bashing in several threads at the moment.....:>(

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - madf

Looks like the oldies are getting a bit of a bashing in several threads at the moment.....:>(

I can take any amount of bashing if it's virtual.

Us oldies are made of stern stuff...

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - xtrailman

I think you meant factual?

'Virtual' bashing is, I assume, online bashing rather than physical up-duffment. There's therefore nothing to fear from it.

Have you come across people like this (in the UK) - madf

'Virtual' bashing is, I assume, online bashing rather than physical up-duffment. There's therefore nothing to fear from it.

Yep