Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - PhilJohn

I have the above SLK with 65K on the clock, it has been services at the correct intervals but does not confirm if the timing chain has had any attention at all. I am not sure if there is a specific maintenance milage for attention or change of the timing chain, anyone out there with information would be grateful.

PhilJohn

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - elekie&a/c doctor

Timing chains should last the life of the car.However ,on modern engines they don't seem to.If you have maintained the car with regular oil and filter changes with a quality oil ,then there is no need to worry,unless you are experiencing problems with the engine fault light flagging cam sensor fault.There is no schedule for chain replacement.

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - Cyd

HJ lists a problem with the chain timing sprocket on the balancer shaft for the V6 along with mention that a bulletin has been issued.

I would suggest that at only 6500 miles pa, you should change the oil at least annually. Clean oil is your timing chains best friend.

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - John F

I would suggest that at only 6500 miles pa, you should change the oil at least annually. Clean oil is your timing chains best friend.

Or if, like me, you think strict annual changes are unnecessary for such a low mileage, use the highest quality longlife oil. I do, now I have a chaincam engine. For all those tiny hinges, high quality is at least as important as cleanliness (especially for MB engines with dodgy sprockets!)

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - mark999
It's a well known problem with this model. Lots of info on www.slkworld.com. There is an link on this site to determine if your engine is in the affected range. Don't panic if it is as only a very few go on to have problems.
Mark
Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - Sara49
It's a well known problem with this model. Lots of info on www.slkworld.com. There is an link on this site to determine if your engine is in the affected range. Don't panic if it is as only a very few go on to have problems. Mark diebestetest

However ,on modern engines they don't seem to.If you have maintained the car with regular oil and filter changes with a quality oil ,then there is no need to worry,unless you are experiencing problems with the engine fault light flagging cam sensor fault.

Edited by Sara49 on 26/03/2019 at 07:19

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - Brit_in_Germany

Sara49, a cut and paste spam seller.

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - edlithgow

For all those tiny hinges, high quality is at least as important as cleanliness (especially for MB engines with dodgy sprockets!)

Well, that's an assertion, and on the face of it, an unsupported one.

Given the choice between clean low-quality oil (I use CPC SAE 40 which is probably Group 1 so would arguably answer that description) and dirty high quality oil, I'd take the clean low quality oil.

Particles abrade.

But I don't actually KNOW.

(Either?)

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - Peter.N.

I bought a very cheap C220 Cdi w203 estate last year, the ominous clatter at the front led me to suspect the timing chain so I thought I had better have a look, which means removing the injectors! When I eventually got to it I found it in almost perfect condition with only about half an inch of movement on the long side, that was at nearly 230,000 miles!

Never did find the noise, its still there but I think its a bearing on something driven by the auxiliary belt, nothing to difficult to get to there, will remove the belt and check - one day.

I've seen some reports that molybdenum is especially effective in protecting against timing chain wear, but I can't get to the link because my browser seems to get subverted by adware on this site.

(Might be a virus but it seems to mostly happen here.)

Anyway, if you can find a high moly oil that meets MB specs, it might be worth using it.

https://www.stle.org/images/pdf/STLE_ORG/AM2016 Presentations/Engine and Drivetrai

Mercedes-Benz SLK 350- year 2005 - Timing chain - gordonbennet

edit...didn't realise the thread is 3 years old.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/04/2019 at 07:17