What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V clutch failure at 28k miles/2.5 years - dleh

I read in your review of the Honda CR-V (2012-) that somebody reported clutch failure on a 2.2 i-DTEC model at 10k miles. Well the clutch has also gone on my 13 plate 2.2 i-DTEC at 28k miles, and I too am facing a bill approaching £2k to replace the clutch and flywheel.

Honda are so far refusing to pay up despite the car still being under warranty. They claim it's down to driver style, yet we've never had to replace a clutch on any previous car in over 30 years of motoring, despite owning some to relatively high mileages/ages.

On top of this we're looking at a 5 week wait for parts as Honda don't currently have any replacement clutches for the 2.2.

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V clutch failure at 28k miles/2.5 years - focussed

Legally it's nothing to do with Honda, go throught the procedure to claim from the dealer that sold you the car - it's detailed on here somewhere.

Also have a look on any CRV owner's club sites, and find out how many cases of clutch/flywheel failure there are. When the same problem affected my diesel Civic there were literally hundreds of similar cases on the Civinfo website-there is also a section on there for CRV owners.

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V clutch failure at 28k miles/2.5 years - Peter.N.

There seem to be a lot of modern cars of all makes suffering clutch failures, don't know why, whether its poor materials or the clutch not up to the job. I have a Peugeot 406 Hdi still on its original clutch at 246,000 miles.

There seem to be a lot of modern cars of all makes suffering clutch failures, don't know why, whether its poor materials or the clutch not up to the job. I have a Peugeot 406 Hdi still on its original clutch at 246,000 miles.

In my experience with the Civic, the feel of the original clutch at the pedal was good, the bite was soft and progressive and the pedal effort was low.

But it started slippng at maximum torque at about 2200 -2500 in fifth/sixth with WOT.

The oem replacement clutch fitted by the Honda dealer under warranty is the opposite, the bite is aggressive and the pedal is harder, it's more like the feel of a competion clutch, you can dip the pedal and quickly release it when accelerating hard and the clutch bites hard and doesn't slip.

Obviously the original clutch is more user friendly-maybe that's why there are problems with clutches nowadays?

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V clutch failure at 28k miles/2.5 years - gordonbennet
The oem replacement clutch fitted by the Honda dealer under warranty is the opposite, the bite is aggressive and the pedal is harder, it's more like the feel of a competion clutch, you can dip the pedal and quickly release it when accelerating hard and the clutch bites hard and doesn't slip.

Obviously the original clutch is more user friendly-maybe that's why there are problems with clutches nowadays?

Do modern clutches have to be capable of some slippage to get positive reviews i wonder, some modern engines are so lacking in low rev torque that stalling becomes a real problem.

This is something i noticed more and more during the last years of my car transporting years, we tried to be kind to clutches for obvious reasons but completely gutless strangled modern engines won't allow such niceties, and i wonder if owners get so used to slightly slipping their clutches...at moving junctions for instance...that they are slipping the clutch without realising it just to maintain normal progress.

Couple this with the trend for too high first and reverse gears, why is that on vehicles likely to be dual purpose i wonder?, and you have the perfect recipe for short clutch life.

AS for the OP's question, if Honda are not going to play ball here then i suggest getting some quotes for LUK replacement clutches from good indy garages, we had a recent thread about this and with some shopping about the OP knocked around 50% or maybe more from her frankly absurd clutch quote from Bentley...sorry, my mistake...Honda garage that must have thought they were quoting for a vintage Bentley.

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V clutch failure at 28k miles/2.5 years - Bolt

the one point I like about the 2.2 D is you can pull away on tickover with very little slip of the clutch

in fact its too torguey at times and wheel spin at low revs is very easy on it, but I gather LUK clutches are more reliable on 2.2 Diesel

I hope the clutch problem has been cured on the 2015 model as I intend buying a nearly new one next week :-)

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V clutch failure at 28k miles/2.5 years - dleh

Unfortunately we've been unable to locate a clutch/flywheel to fit, other than through Honda with a 5 week wait. My understanding was that LUK don't list one to fit the >2012 2.2-iDTEC but the dealer was going to try talking direct to them. Christmas/New Year have kind of got in the way, but hopefully I'll find out more on Monday.

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V clutch failure at 28k miles/2.5 years - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you are correct.I have had a trawl through all the aftermarket suppliers of Honda clutch kits and it does appear that these parts are a dealer only supply.No doubt the parts will become available at some time in the future ,but probably too new for any alternative makers.

Try this honda dealer - they can usually source parts quickly.

www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2007-2012-crv-clutch-kits-...l

Maybe they are getting their parts from another country?