What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - olliew

You may remember some time ago I posted asking about SUVs as I was going to buy one once we sell my late parents' house. While discussing it with my wife she suggested "why don't you buy something sporty instead?" - so now that's what I'm looking at for my midlife crisis at 26! I still want 4 seats so I can at least take the dog with me and therefore use the car for weekends away with my wife and aforementioned mutt. We'll keep our Honda Civic so the wife has a car and so that we have something more practical if needed.

I test drove an Audi TT and pretty much fell in love with it - the only issues being that the rear seats are even less practical than I thought and there's a hell of a lot of options to get the car where I want it. I tried a BMW 2 series as well and was underwhelmed, especially at the dealer who seemed to really not care if I bought a car or not. Decision made, I thought. Until I got a 1 series as a rental car (was meant to have a Golf but got uppgraded) and had an absolute scream driving it round some curvy bits outside Salisbury at 1am. So now I'm confused again.

Any thoughts/experiences? I know it's a case of FWD vs RWD really, but any opinions would be very much welcome.

Edited by olliew on 22/12/2015 at 21:29

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - Avant

Perhaps best to compare a 1-series with a Golf GTI: both have 4 proper seats and either would suit you on the basis of the information you've given.

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - bazza

Also check out the Leon Cupra , Focus or Fiesta ST, and the new Civic Type R if you want extreme...don't forget the Clio/Megane sporty ones either. Once upon a time the GTI was the default choice but it's a very competitive sector now and the Gti is not the most extreme or sporty hot hatch--- or even the most reliable. The 1 series drives nice but getting comfy in one was impossible for me and they're two a penny now, on PCP.

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - sandy56

I would suggets that you consider the fast Golf and Honda Type R, or even the Renaulstsport Megan -260 BHP!

There is some realy good cars out there. I found the Audi TT was only good for small/ average size folk, anyone over 5ft 10 then forget it.

My wife has a BMW 1 series but a bit cramped for me.

or even the Vauxhall Monaro?

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - diesel-y

As its presumably your own money, probably best with the Germans/Type-R? I'd steer clear of Fords/Renaults as they depreciate a lot faster - I've just had a horrific price on my Focus (though admittedly not ST).

As an all-rounder the TT/Audi S3 are probably both worth considering especially if you're considering the 1 series? If looks are important the Mercedes dealer was talking to me about the new C class Coupe that is due shortly - apparently he'd already had a pre-order.

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - RobJP

It's a difficult one.

Sporty, but 4 seats. Also space for dog (though you sound like you're happy to have the dog on the back seat).

The 2 series coupe really is a bit small in the back. Not somewhere I would want to be for a long journey, anyway.

Leaving aside the point that, legally, you MUST have the dog secured in a cage or luggage compartment these days, I really do think a 'sporty' estate would be a perfectly acceptable choice. I've got (and constantly rave about) a 325d MSport estate (2013), and it is fantastic.

Performance (7 seconds 0-60), handling, comfortable, economical. Decent-sized boot, it's even got space for proper people in the back seats (unlike the old 3 series, where you needed to take off your legs to get in the back).

Worth having a look at something like a 335i estate, possibly ? The 330d / 335d are also highly rated by a lot of owners, incredible performance but with 40mpg economy. But that depends on your annual mileage.

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - gordonbennet
Leaving aside the point that, legally, you MUST have the dog secured in a cage or luggage compartment these days, I really do think a 'sporty' estate would be a perfectly acceptable choice. I've got (and constantly rave about) a 325d MSport estate (2013), and it is fantastic.

Woah, interest perked.

Wots this Rob? SWMBO has a proper shaped cage in the boot of her Legacy, her worry was getting hit up the back the boot popping open and the dogs escaping and causing mayhem.

In my old Landcruiser, i massive rear door side hinged, its unlikely to get hit hard or high enough to pop that door, if it does we're probably all dead anyway, so i just let them sit in the boot.

Am i now illegal, or is the legislation for people who have them loose inside the passenger compartment.

Actually just come back with them, soaking wet found loads of bunnies to chase in the undergrowth so much fun had. and thought of this thread, one chap who takes his dog where i do runs a really nice Forester XT on a 55 plate, so not hit with eye watering VED, that would make a good sleeper, nothing to touch them when the roads are slippery.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/12/2015 at 12:37

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - skidpan

Leaving aside the point that, legally, you MUST have the dog secured in a cage or luggage compartment these days,

When did that become law then. Never seen anything about until your post. Checked on the web and found nothing.

Our mut lives on the back seat like most others you see.

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - RobJP

A slight revision to my original post on this : A seat belt harness is also acceptable within the law as a method of restraining a pet in the car.

It is all from Highway Code, Rule 57 :

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

Of course, bearing in mind the number of children you see not belted in, I somewhat doubt that the police would pursue a prosecution. Our border collie travels in the boot of the estate car, which has a frame-cage between the boot and the back seats.

An un-secured dog would become a ballistic object in the event of a crash. And if it's directly behind the driver, then it's similar to any large, moderately dense (if whippet, incredibly dense) un-secured object when it strikes you in the back of your head ...

Edited by RobJP on 23/12/2015 at 13:36

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - skidpan

Its not a legal requirement

To quote:

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations."

An example is:

"Rule 89

Vehicle condition. You MUST ensure your vehicle and trailer comply with the full requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations and Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations"

So not the law at all.

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - Avant

Many thanks Skidpan - I didn't think it was a legal requirement either.

But if your dog is Labrador-sized or bigger, he/she could give you quite a wallop in the back if unrestrained and you had to do an emergency stop. I think most people with big dogs have them in the 'boot' of an estate or SUV/MPV with a dog guard attached to the back seat.

So, Olliew, it rather depends on how big your dog is.

Edited by Avant on 24/12/2015 at 10:33

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - bazza

I'm not at all convinced about the TT having driven a few. Bone-jarring ride and in practice, a 2 seater, absolutely no head room in the back. Wouldn't want to go far in one on UK roads. Fun on a perfectly smooth alpine road, on a summers day, but there-in lies the reality gap. A warm or hot hatch would be a much more practical all rounder.

Audi TT - TT vs 2 series - olliew

Thanks all. Must admit I hadn't really thought about hatches because I was hoping to get something a bit sleeker like a coupe but I'll look into it. The dog has a seatbelt harness and he's really the only thing I'd need the extra seats for - if I need to carry people I've got the Civic still. Will have a think.

My wife's not impressed by me umming and aahing because she bought me a remote control TT for Christmas...