What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - fendertele

okay i bought car in feb 2015 and since i got it has never felt right... it only had 17k on it and is a 2011 plater and salesman never mention if it had been in any kind of accident... so i can't answer 100% if it had any kind of knock but we checked door panels and went round car to see if there was any sign of damage or repair.

So yeah the car felt off when handling but i thought it was just alignment...

i have had countless alignments performed and no matter what they do it wants to go left.

I then tried new tires....

then rotating them incase there was any tire pull.

one mechanic mentioned that the front left was sitting lower.. which made sense as along with the pull to the left the car does feel like it sits slightly lower on the left side.....

So replaced front springs and top strut mounts and had it aligned again......

The car still pulls left.......

took it back to check the alignment again and this time they tried adjusting the alignment so that the car pulls right intentionaly to counter the car pulling left....

and now i have a car that still wants to pull left.... but when i hold the steering wheel firmly dead centre the car drives to the right due to how they aligned it to counter the pull.

here is a little diagram explaining how the car behaves when driving on different crowning roads and flat road.

www.ericthecarguy.com/media/kunena/attachments/338...g

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - gordonbennet

I'd like to know how you adjust alignment to make a car pull to the right, you can't do that by alignment unless you get into adjusting caster angles, unless someone would care to educate me, for which i would be much obliged.

The very first thing this car needs is a proper 4 wheel alignment check by someone who knows their onions, including caster and camber, and accurately measures the wheelbase either side, you can do that at home via a simple tape measure, you can also roughly check the other two measures, a good spirit level for camber and by measuring the position of the wheel in relation to the bodywork for caster, these are not accurate enough methods for setting up but might point you in the right direction.

The rear needs checking as much as the front, its surprising the effect something wrong at the back can have at the front end.

Also someone needs to check the amount of thread showing both ends of the steering rack where the track rod ends screw on, should be the same number of threads showing both sides, unless an aftermarket TRE has been fitted one side which just 'might' be different, hopefully the mechs have already checked this possibility.

Also check carefully all rubber bushes at the wishbones (and check wishbones are identical too, all suspension parts, a soft bush that gives more than others under load at the front end will allow caster to alter quite a lot.

But before that you can learn an awful lot about how and why your car is behaving by driving behind/beside and around it on a variety of road surfaces for a few miles and see how it behaves...does it crab, do the shockers all damp road undulations in a similar fashion, does it have the same amout of suspension movement either side over straight road humps, you get the gist.

Also when you are on a journey of a few miles on an open road where you don't need to brake at all, when you see a convenient stopping point that you can slow down entirely on the gears without braking till only the very last second just to bring it to a final halt ie uphill layby, then get out and have good feel round all the brakes and hubs, checking for binding brakes and hot wheel bearings.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/12/2015 at 08:37

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - Bolt

I'd like to know how you adjust alignment to make a car pull to the right

By adjusting the tracking so it pulls to the right also the tracking can be reading correct without it being correct, it really needs going on a 4 point alignment check to make sure it is reading right

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - Peter.N.

In my experience tracking error doesn't make the car pull to one side, just wears the tyres out, unless its severe then it makes the car hop about. As already stated the only alignment that will make it pull to one side is camber or castor angle and that's not usually adjustable on most cars.

The most likely cause other than tyres is suspension damage but that should show up in a proper alignment check.

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - RT

Isn't the OP just an advert for an American website?

Be wary about clicking the link.

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - gordonbennet

I don't need to click the link, hovering the mouse over with ''thumbnail zoom plus'' (Mozilla) brings up whatever is there, its some rough diagrams only that highlight what the OP is describing, though to be fair his description was so good that they are not needed.

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - Railroad.

I'd like to know how you adjust alignment to make a car pull to the right

By adjusting the tracking so it pulls to the right also the tracking can be reading correct without it being correct, it really needs going on a 4 point alignment check to make sure it is reading right

Ever heard of Newton's third law, for every action there's an equal but opposite reaction? Adjusting a track rod on one side will initially make that side toe in or toe out, but this effect will be compensated on the other side as soon as the steering is straightened. The overall effect will be excessive toe in or toe out with the steering wheel misaligned. As GB says, wheel alignment will have little to do with a steering pull, but incorrect steering geometry will have.
chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - fendertele

hey everyone thanks for the replies... i'm trying to get what most are saying but being a complete novice when it comes to cars i probably require it borken down for me lol!

all i know is i took it for multiple 4 wheel alignments using the hunter machines.... had printouts with everything in the green except the caster but as both sides were positive if i remember rightly was told it wasnt a big issue...

so the steer ahead and toe were bang on centre and camber was good on both front and back.....

this time round i feel like they have adjusted the toe to make the car drive to the right when the wheel is centered causing a crazy handling experience.... as i know and can feel the car wanting to go left... but the the steering wheel when held centred will make the car drive to the right.... so there is a constant battle between the pull and the steering direction.... and tbh it is the best the car has felt. even though it is wrong and is a temporary fix...

i've now spent more than the car is worth trying to get to the bottom of it..... alignments, springs, strut top mounts, sway bar bushing.... new tires....

I can't get me head around this, caster is the problem (proved) so they've adjusted toe in to make some sort of bodge fix, that makes no sense at all.

I suspect the suspension might have had a good clout against a kerb or similar, enough to knock one side back out of line hence the caster reading being wrong.

on monday im going to take it for another alignment 4 wheel hunter hawkeye...

so i will keep the printout and post it for you all to have a gander...

and if there is still a pull then it must be a frame/chassis issue ? since new springs/top stur mounts/tires/ bushings... pretty much eliminates a suspension issue yeah ?

Please don't take this the wrong way, we're on your side here, but if they've been adjusting A when B is wrong, what makes you think there will be a better result this time...sort of reminds me of voting for the same bunch of politicians and expecting a different result.

I'm of the mind that an old school common sense mechanic might be a better bet for this, using a combination of mk1 eyeball and his trusty measuring stick he might just find why the casters are wrong, you already know thats the problem which the technicians operating the Gucci gadgets aint sorting out.

I'm no expert far from it so happy to be put right as always.

Most cars have no adjustment of the castor angles - if it's out of spec on a full Hunter-type alignment then the car's been damaged/distorted or bushes etc worn.

Given the list of parts already replaced, it's not wear so it's distortion - a good accident repair shop would have checked all the hard point alignments before rebuild after an accident but there's plenty of poor repairers around.

hey guys i appreciate you taking the time to help me as i know the car aint functioning right and i thought the last guy i dealt with an older mechanic with a lot of good knowledge would have gotten to the root of the issue and i spent £ 600 pound replacing the front suspension only to be let down as the car felt the same as before everything was replaced.

the reason the mechanic suggested the front spring and top strut mount was because he said the front left ( where the car pulls ) was sitting 11mm lower than the right and was probably the cause of the car pulling.... after replacing the front suspension parts and the alignemt the car felt the same as before the work include feeling slightly lower and pulling to the left....

So i have no idea where to turn to now and im obviously feeling apprehensive to spend any more money.... so i think i will take it to a body shop and see what they say i just cant understand why the mechanic wouldnt have suggested this before now.... or maybe he doesnt want to admit that changing the springs and top strut mount was unneeded.

If you have the time try my earlier suggestion of following your car for a good few miles on quiet roads, all sorts of terrain, dual carriageways etc, so you can bob around it a bit a watch exactly whats going on from all angles, you'd be surpised how something that can't be seen as wrong with the car parked mainfests itself as the car goes over undulations, if you have a friend thats car savvy it might be good to swap seats so he can watch your car too, then compare notes, might provide some illumination.

Also do that check for binding brakes or a hot running hub during a run.

The bodyshop thought is a good idea, but like you i'd be reluctant to spend much more on it.

I'd be inclined to examine closely the suspension and frame where track control arms and such like are mounted, you'll be checking the body for distortion (measure both sides with the wheels off) and the wishbones/track control arms etc for identical sizes, its possible if it had a kerb whack that a pattern part has been fitted that isn't an exact fit, again measuring both sides accurately might reveal...you could do a lot of this yourself with the wheels off and the car blocked up, or by putting the front end up on sturdy ramps and getting underneath.

Don't forget the back end, this could be nothing to do with the front end, the rear of something isn't right can affect steering badly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/12/2015 at 09:39

If it has a front subframe it's possible it's bent and the most probable cause.just a thought ?

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - galileo

If it has a front subframe it's possible it's bent and the most probable cause.just a thought ?

The OP said an older mechanic found the left hand side was 11mm lower than the right (after all the supension replacements).

That surely indicates distortion of body shell or subframe.

sorry i don't know if i posted it wrong or you picked me up wrong... the mechanic told me that the car was sitting 11mm lower on the left side and he thought that it may be the reason for the pull left so we then replaced the suspension parts but it made no difference to how the car handles or feels... so felt like a waste of money and i still feel the car sits lower when driving.

as for watching the car when driving i have noticed that if i hit any little bump on the road the car will through itself to the left and i have to hold onto the steering wheel very hard to stop it from happening.... and i've also noticed when driving on flat ground ( shopping parking lot ) that the steering wheel will gradually turn half a lock left while driving and the car will pull left while the steering wheel turns.

pity none of you lads work in glasgow would save me a lot of messing about with other guys that will be left scratching their head.

I'll bet that if you drove down an undulating dual carriageway...maybe the M8 on one of the ploughed sections..:-) in another car to the left of your own car and watched what is happening to the front wheel as it negotiates the furrows it might reveal a lot of what is going wrong.

Subframe is more likely to distort after a severe shock and as the suspension is directly connected to it, I think thats the logical answer without the above tests being carried out

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - dieselnut

" i have noticed that if i hit any little bump on the road the car will through itself to the left and i have to hold onto the steering wheel very hard to stop it from happening. "

A good few years ago SWMBO managed to slide our heavy Citroen CX sideways on snow into a curb at Tesco. She only hit it slowly but at about 90 degrees ie the wheel took all the force side on. After that the car would react exactly as you describe above.

I think it was the right side that got clobbered but cause the car to shimmy to the left over any whoop in the road.

When I looked carefully I could see that the right lower wishbone, which was a very beefy component, was very slightly bent so a bit shorter.

A new wishbone restored the car to normal again.

Edited by dieselnut on 20/12/2015 at 13:06

Hey guys so took the car for an alignment as i expected the car was out a little mainly the steer ahead.....

now the funny thing is the steer ahead is to the right so if anything the car should have been pulling right.....

So now the alignment is spot on and the car still feels like its leaning/pulling left all the time...

So new springs/top strut mounts/ tires/ alignment what else could it leave to replace ?

s27.postimg.org/vljpr7loz/IMG_20151221_104441.jpg

Right, up to a point the alignment being set to right bias won't make any real difference, all other things being equal all it means is you have/had a slight tow out bias, which once moving the tiny amounts involved really wouldn't make a scrap of difference, you might notice a pull to the one side when the other side encountered less grip (friction) such as running the other wheel along a continuouly painted white line in the wet, and you might feel a pull when dropping in an out of lorry wear/tram lines on the motorway.

But everything else isn't equal, the caster, which you already knew, is where the problem lies, in effect the front left wheel is a very small distance further back than the right front (or the right front is too far forward), thats why the car wants to turn left, you could adjust the alignment from now till doomsday but until someone somehow fixes that caster difference it will always steer left.

Plus you don't know if that caster is altering (worsening) when moving as friction forces bushes etc to compress, hence my suggestion about watching it in action.

I think most of are assuming its had a clout of some sort, might be severe whack up a kerb, not necessarily an accident as such, so someone has to find and hopefully manage to fix it somehow, i don't know how cos no one has yet diagnosed this fault correctly despite the figures staring them in the face pointing them, as experts, to where the problem might lie.

By the way the problem might not be at the nsf, it could equally be at the osf, both sides need to match to give you the correct caster.

I notice there is a slight difference in rear cambers too, whilst it won't make a great deal of difference to the left pull, i'd have thought they would mention it, whether its adjustable via eccentric bolts i do not know, but it might be connected to the whack i think the car has had at some point.

You still need someone to do some accurate measuring underneath to find the cause of the caster differences, that hasn't altered and until someone finds out why and comes up with a way to fix it the left pull will stay.

Did the people who aligned it offer no suggestions, do they think the caster difference is the problem, how does it compare to their 'autodata' or whoever they use steering geometry figures they are working from?

I really think you should follow your own car and see if its crabbing and what else you can learn from how the front suspension behaves over undulations.

The above are only my layman opinions, happy to be put right by someone who actually knows what they're waffling about, thats all i can offer, best of luck.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/12/2015 at 12:19

hey thanks again for the reply no none of them have suggested or even acknowleged it being out tbh.... it is the hunter hawkeye system i always use but it's usually a kwik fit or farmers kind of place i take it too so maybe they aint all that clued up with the ins and out of alignment.... just if it's in the green then its good.

now about the caster thing.... you mention that it is out and most likely the cause of the constant pull/lean to the left but on the after printout it is all in the green, so im just wondering how it out if it is within spec ?

and why it is 4. xx on both sides but all the other measurements start with a 0.xx

but yeah i will defo look into that now and probably read word for word what u have suggested to point them in the right direction.... the pull is one thing but the car feels like it sits slightly lower on the left aswell and becomes esp annoying when the car is driving on road crowning to the left.... then it really feels like it is leaning badly.

cheers :)

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - skidpan

what else could it leave to replace

I would suggest you just drive it as it is or trade it in. Anything else is just trowing money away.

Daft suggestion, have you tried another, they might all be like that.

i have funny enough the reason i actually got it is because my uncle had the same model just a year older and recommended it.... he was the one that found the car for sale and took me to look at it.

his felt solid to drive you could feel all four wheels planted on the ground... with this one something just feels off with the front left... it's hard to explain but it don't feel planted/solid and then there is the constant pull left.

If you're uncle has one then you are in the perfect position to do what i've suggested all along, drive each others cars travelling together, each one paying close attention to how the other car behaves on the road, you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain from this, and its free apart from a gallon of juice.

Oh and a fast fit joint is not where i'd be expecting to find a mechanic who will take the time to diagnose the real problem, they are fast fit for good reason.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/12/2015 at 10:51

I don't frequent GM forums as much as I used to (haven't had one for 8 years) but I seem to recall there's something fundamentally different between the spring rates for RHD Vauxhall Astras and LHD Opel Astras - to cope with the change in weight position of the driver, compounded on RHD cars by the engine being offset.

The Cruze is based on the same GM platform but something is ringing a bell that Chevrolet just used the same spring rates on both LHD and RHD versions of the Cruze despite facing the same issue as LHD-RHD Opel/Vauxhalls.

But - if this were the reason for your issues it should affect all Cruze's - the suggestions above to swap cars in convoy with your uncle is excellent.

hey unfortunetly my uncle is in england and im scotland so unable to try driving together and that...

what i have noticed tonight....

I drove to an empty parking lot with flat surface and centered the wheel, i then let go of the wheel while driving and as i mentioned before the steering wheel starts turning left and the car drives to the left with it which i already knew.

but i then went back to the same starting spot, centered the steering wheel and tried reversing and letting go of the wheel and the same thing happened.

the steering wheel began to turn to the left and the car started to reverse to the left.

chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - dadbif
Get a tape measure and check the distance between the front and rear wheels. Measure from the front of the rear tyre to the front of the back tyre, at the centre line of the wheel. Compare the LH side with the RH side, I reckon the LH side distance will be shorter.
It sounds to me as if you have had a thump on the LH that has pushed the suspension rearwards, alignment measures camber, castor and track but will not necessarily pick up a bent lower suspension arm, especially if the tracking has been adjusted to correct the problem.
Similar happened on a family fiesta some years ago.
I also experienced a similar fault on s Chrysler Avenger belonging to my son, a tie rod that held the McPherson strut in position was loose, car drove straight until you braked, strut then moved backwards and car shot to the left.. You have a different suspension I believe, so the latter cause will not be relevant .
chevrolet cruze 2011 - why cant mechanics find the reason for pulling ? - focussed
Get a tape measure and check the distance between the front and rear wheels. Measure from the front of the rear tyre to the front of the back tyre, at the centre line of the wheel. Compare the LH side with the RH side, I reckon the LH side distance will be shorter. It sounds to me as if you have had a thump on the LH that has pushed the suspension rearwards, alignment measures camber, castor and track but will not necessarily pick up a bent lower suspension arm, especially if the tracking has been adjusted to correct the problem. Similar happened on a family fiesta some years ago. I also experienced a similar fault on s Chrysler Avenger belonging to my son, a tie rod that held the McPherson strut in position was loose, car drove straight until you braked, strut then moved backwards and car shot to the left.. You have a different suspension I believe, so the latter cause will not be relevant .

That makes sense- the cure for an old Mini pulling to the left or right was to strip out the tie-rod from the bottom arm to the front of the sub-frame on the side it ws pulling to, remove the rear rubber bush, cut it in half , and re-install it in front of the anchor point onthe sub-frame, together with the original front bush, giving one and a half bushes at the front of the anchor point and half a bush behind, so that the bottom arm was pulled forward, increasing the steering camber angle slightly.