What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Maverick - Advice needed re a refund - benregis

I'm new on here, and need some advice.

My Mini Cooper is about to enter the great car park in the sky, and I've been looking for a cheap second-hand car. Nine days ago I saw a Ford Maverick, took it for a test-drive, it seemed fine, except for a big crack across the windscreen. I was a bit surprised that it was supposed to have a 12 month MOT on it, as couldn't see how it could have passed with that; but was assured by the salesman that it was about to be put in for an MOT, and would be available once that was sorted by the end of the week. They would ring me on Friday. I paid a deposit, and was intending to pick up my car the following Saturday.

Friday - No-one rang. I phoned them, and was told that the windscreen had been repaired but there had been a problem with the power-steering pump, which was now fixed, though the car was still at the garage. I asked if it would be ready for the following morning, and was assured that it would be, and that if there were any problems they'd ring me that afternoon. They didn't.

Saturday morning, a friend drops me off at the dealers, no sign of the car. It's still in the garage, as apparently the power-steering pump they'd ordered didn't fit, they were now trying another but that didn't fit either. I was then told that it didn't matter that the power steering didn't work as that wasn't an MOT fail. I said point-blank I wasn't buying a car without a working power steering pump, as that's been one of the problems with Mini (and, no, there weren't any obvious signs on the test drive of the Maverick that that had the same issues). I was then told that they were ordering another pump, they didn't know how long it would take to arrive, but that it should be ready for this Saturday.

As of today (Thursday) I have heard nothing further, and to be honest, I'm starting to get quite jittery about it. Can I ask for my deposit back, and walk away? More to the point will I get my deposit back?

Ford Maverick - Advice needed re a refund - RobJP

What you can do is give them a length of time (say a week) to get you the car or to provide you with a full refund.

If you've heard nothing, then be pro-active. Be a pain in the derriere. Phone them every single day, chasing after things, seeing where it's up to.

My guess : they've found problems with it, and are hoping to get it fixed (probably with cheap parts, but that's understandable, it's an old cheap car). Cheap usually means waiting.

Oh, there is an official DVLA MOT website up these days where you can see all old MOTs for a vehicle, including details of failures, advisories, etc. Who knows, the latest failure and any advisory notes may already be up on it !

A very useful site. It should be the VERY first thing you check when looking at a car.

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Thanks Rob, that's really helpful. I didn't know about that site, have now looked at it, and can see that contrary to what I was told it most definitely DID fail on the power-steering. There are also quite a few advisories. Also, it doesn't look as though it's been re-tested. Will give them a ring now, and do as you suggest. Many thanks again.

Ford Maverick - Advice needed re a refund - RobJP

Do bear in mind that the site isn't 'live'. Updates can take a week or so to come onto there - as a friend who was selling her car found last week, when a prospective buyer couldn't find the car's new MOT on there !

Phoned dealers after looking at the website, and was immediately offered my deposit back. They still haven't sourced the part, and don't seem to know when it will be available.

Bizarrely the car is still advertised for sale on their website, where it says that the car drives well (with no power steering - yeah, sure).

Think I dodged a bullet there, many thanks for the advice.

Ford Maverick - Advice needed re a refund - jeffreyburkholderRoom

Ford Maverick one of great car