What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 - 2008 - D I E S E L ! losing power - Jinjur

Hi guys,

I am all to aware about the bad reputation these cars have with DPF's, injector washers and so on but try to keep everything at bay myself. I am not a mechanic by trade but am very hands on and not afraid to get stuck in. I had planned on timing belt/drive belts etc this weekend for said vehicle but something happened yesterday.

My wife called my as she was driving on the motorway and told me the car had lost power....was juddering too...she was struggling to get above 30mph and ended up driving home on the hard shoulder to stay safe.

Once home, I inspected the car and took it out for a drive and noted no issues at all with power delivery or smooth running. I checked for fault codes (historic, current and pending) and nothing was shown.

I checked all the likely candidates for lost power such as boost pipes etc but found nothing untoward.

A bit of digging on line returned a-lot of horror stories about the Mazda MZR-CD RF Turbo engine but I tried to stay upbeat and started leaning towards an SCV issue......which is kind of what I am asking.

In your opinion, would a faulty/failing SCV be a likely candidate in the following scenario:

- intermittent lost power (wife advised it almost felt like there was no boost)

- intermittent juddering (wife advised it was like a petrol car off a cylinder)

- no engine light or fault code ( i checked with 2 separate systems)

I have also learnt that the EGR could be a factor so I am hoping to strip that tonight and clean out as much as I can, a cursory glance last night showed that it was not blocked though...built up, yes...but not blocked.

I will focus on the EGR mechanism itself tonight.

Sorry to ramble.....I have been through most, if not all of the extensive threads about this engine and my head is pretty pickled.

Regards

Andy

Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 - 2008 - D I E S E L ! losing power - hardway

Given these engines reputation the first thing "I" would check is the oil level,

I'm guessing you do your own servicing so you "OUGHT" to remeber where the oil level was when you last checked.

Now check if it appears to have MORE oil in the sump.

Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 - 2008 - D I E S E L ! losing power - Jinjur

Hi bud, yeah......oil is fine. When I say fine, it is approaching the x mark due to the flawed regeneration process but I do my own servicing and run dpf Regens manually when I do

Gave the egr a good clean last night and have ordered a new scv for the fuel pump, hopefully that covers it.

Next step is timing belts next week and I will be dropping the sump to clean the oil pickup too.

Might drop in New injector washers while I am at it. Probably valve clearances too.

Just trying to tick all potential boxes right now tbh but the intermittent nature of the power loss is the pain.

It has only happened once

Cheersa

Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 - 2008 - D I E S E L ! losing power - trevor latham

hello ive also got a mazda 5 mpv diesel with lost of power worst when its warm just wondering did you sort out the problem i know it was a while ago but me too is scratching my head

thanks trevor

Mazda 5 - Mazda 5 - 2008 - D I E S E L ! losing power - trevor latham

hello

has for the mazda with sluggish and no power when setting off from a standing start . i had the egr blocked off and dbf cleaned out but been told by mechanic that dpf has been removed must of been remapped still doing the same but not has bad i tuck the maf sensor off and sprayed it with egr cleaner was told this fine for maf it was great for 2 days then it started again its driving me up the wall