What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 345 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 346 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 345. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2010 at 19:42

downlighters for kitchen.. - audiA6tdi
think i found the answer
alturl.com/wyao

and use a r63 es reflector
downlighters for kitchen.. - Stuartli
These are similar to those in my bathroom, which use RS80 60w bulbs...
downlighters for kitchen.. - Nsar
I was going to suggest looking at B&Qs range of bulbs. We have GU10s in our kitchen (35watts) and I have been looking at their LED range as they don't seem to protrude like others I've seen and they have a range of effects eg bright white soft white etc, but I have'nt yet bought any to try and they are quite costly.

downlighters for kitchen.. - audiA6tdi
i brought some Ring LED's from Focus, they are 4w and are pretty good to be fair. A lot better than the 1w bulbs i brought a while back.
Not cheap a £17 each but they had a 3 4 2 offer on. Best bulbs are aparently the Phillips 7w but you have to buy them off the net at around £30 each. Expensive and they may pay for themself but over a longtime.
Finding an Investment Club - bintang
How can I find a club in my area? Web leads don't lead anywhere and the set-up seems almost to be secret!
Finding an Investment Club - Clk Sec
Perhaps your local library would have details.

Clk Sec
Finding an Investment Club - ifithelps
Telegraph Money on a Saturday ran a competition for investment clubs.

There used to be something in every fortnight which had details of how to find or start a club.

Not seen the paper for a while, so I don't know if they are still doing it.

Finding an Investment Club - maz64
Quick google came up with this: any use?
www.proshareclubs.co.uk/
Finding an Investment Club - maz64
In fact if you google for 'investment clubs' and tick uk-only it comes up with quite a lot of results; did you try that? I don't know anything about them so I don't know what's relevant.
Finding an Investment Club - jbif
Web leads don't lead anywhere >>

Without knowing which web leads led to nowhere, it is hard to suggest other web leads!
Finding an Investment Club - bintang
None of too many to list has helped. My library have no idea. ProShare will put out a "lonely hearts" message but won't list clubs. Maybe I'll get a new car instead.
Finding an Investment Club - jbif
ProShare will put out a "lonely hearts" message but won't list clubs. Maybe I'll get a new car instead. >>

Proshare do actually list clubs looking for members. See under
www.proshareclubs.co.uk/cgi-bin/proshareclubs/club...i

One tab there is for clubs looking for lonely hearts, and the other tab is for lonely hearts looking for clubs.

I presume you know that clubs will only be looking for members if/when they have a vacancy. If you cannot find one near you, then why not think about starting a new one:
www.proshareclubs.co.uk/cgi-bin/proshareclubs/star...i

If all that does not appeal, why not go solo and invest in ETFs in small amounts. Try iii.co.uk or selftrade.co.uk for info on how to deal in ETFs cheaply.

Edited by jbif on 05/02/2010 at 14:55

Annuity purchase - bathtub tom
I'm trying to purchase a annuity with SWMBO's AVC.

I've gone to a few Independant Financial Advisers (IFAs) to try and get the best price, but up until now the best has been a quote from a well known, large insurance company I've approached direct.

All quotes have been for identical terms and conditions.

This morning an IFA gave a better quote from the same insurance company with the following sentence:
'Insurance company have factored a commission into their figures, which means we would be able to arrange this annuity for you without the need to charge a fee.'

Could I go direct to the insurance company with this to negotiate a better deal?

Does anyone here have any experience of this sort of thing to advise me?

I hope there's no IFAs reading this.
Annuity purchase - jbif
Could I go direct to the insurance company with this to negotiate a better deal? >>

You could try ("if you don't ask you don't get), but I expect it will come to nothing.
The other option is to find an IFA/broker who offers to share their commission with you (some may give half to you).
Annuity purchase - bintang
I have a small annuity with Scottish Widows. They were very difficuilt to deal with initially, providing many contact names, none of whom was was available when I called (as they probably did not exist), cutting off many phone calls, presumably because it was easier than finding answers. I had to be patient because they were practicaly the only company that would consdier a minnow investment. In the end, I suggested to them that I should I approach them via Jessica Gorse-Williams' excellent Daily Telegraph column, when the matter was sorted at once and payments have run perfectly for several year since the start.

An even smaller one (nearly invisible) with Equitable Life, now Prudential, has never raised the slightest problem.
Annuity purchase - L'escargot
I'm trying to purchase a annuity with SWMBO's AVC.

I used my AVCs to get my occupational pension provider to enhance my pension. I got a considerably higher rate of return than if I had exercised my "open market option" by taking the money elsewhere.
Annuity purchase - Armitage Shanks {p}
Time was when the received wisdom was that your own holder of the AVCs would rarely give the best annuity rate. With all the comparison sites that around around it has to be worth checking the open market option.
quick freeview question - billy25
Having just let my full sky subscription finish, I have signed up for the sky "£20 pay once -view forever" freeview scheme. I now find that i can only get half the free-to-air channels via the skybox as i can via sky freeview live-streams on the computer. Have i to reset the skybox in some way? - i`ve inserted the sky freeview card.
cheers
billy
quick freeview question - Nsar
I havde just binned Sky but can't find any ref to this £20 pay opnce thing on their site. What's the offical name of the service, sounds good.
quick freeview question - SpamCan61 {P}
It used to be 75 quid, box +install + Free to view channels, seems to have disappeared from their site and i've just had a 'chat' with them and they deny all knowledge!

Indeed it seems to have gone( see bottom of page):-

www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skyfreesat.html

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 07/02/2010 at 15:47

quick freeview question - jbif
It used to be 75 quid, box +install + Free to view channels, seems to have disappeared from their site and i've just had a 'chat' with them and they deny all knowledge! >>

You will find it here on Sky's dedicated website:
www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/faqs-freesat.aspx#q1

Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £20. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need ......

Q: Do I have to subscribe to Sky Digital to get Freesat from Sky?

A: No, you only have to pay a one-off fee of £175 and you will receive over 240 free-to-air digital satellite TV channels and all the equipment is yours to keep.
Ah right, so they've basically jacked the price up and renamed it!
Thanks jbif
quick freeview question - Stuartli
Sky renamed the service Free-To-Air rather than Freesat. See:

www.sky.com/shop/tv/free-to-air-channels/

Not really all that much on offer when properly scrutinised...:-)
'Freesat' has been a BBC owned trademark for years, I always wondered how Sky got away with using such a similar term.
A brief history of BBC/ITV's Freesat service can be found at:

www.simplifydigital.co.uk/freesat/freesat-technica...l
quick freeview question - dimdip
Bear in mind that not all Freeview (terrestrial) channels are available on Freesat or Sky's FTA package. Compare:

www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main

www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

www.sky.com/shop/tv/free-to-air-channels/

Could be wrong, but I can't see Dave, Quest or Yesterday, for example, in the satellite lists.

Sky now taking up the 'Free-To-Air' label has perfectly completed the confusion. Previously it was Sky's package that was called 'Freesat' and the non-Sky offering that was called FTA...
>>Could be wrong, but I can't see Dave, Quest or Yesterday, for example, in the satellite lists.>>

Not likely to be a problem as the majority of people who have Freesat will still have Freeview readily available in some form or other.
Not likely to be a problem as the majority of people who have Freesat will
still have Freeview readily available in some form or other.

Kind of begs the question of what Freesat is there for, really, no doubt funded by the licence fee. Still, it's another opportunity for the BBC to give away the expensive programming we've paid for to other countries for free, so not all in vain . . . I also don't understand why people are spending out on Freesat HD equipment just for two intermittent channels... The world's gawn mad.
quick freeview question - rtj70
Kind of begs the question of what Freesat is there for,

The channels available via Freeset are via the same satellites Sky uses for their offering. The free channels they offer and free... i.e. broadcast via the same satellites anyway.

So because the BBC channels and others are available via the same satellites you'd pick them up via if you subscribe to Sky.... why not Freesat??? These channels have nothing to do with Sky.
quick freeview question - maz64
I also don't understand why people are spending out on Freesat HD
equipment just for two intermittent channels

Obviously HD must improve the quality of the scripts and the acting :-)
>>Kind of begs the question of what Freesat is there for, really>>

Because Freeview (DTB) transmissions couldn't be picked up in many areas of the UK (the digital switchover will help overcome the majority of the remaining troubled areas), but satellite broadcasts are normally available.

Freesat was intended, obviously, to be the satellite equivalent of Freeview's digital terrestial broadcasts.
>>I can't see Dave<<

It's only ever repeats of Top Gear so no loss
>>It's only ever repeats of Top Gear so no loss >>

..and many more still entertaining programmes...:-)
Sky now taking up the 'Free-To-Air' label has perfectly completed the confusion. Previously it was Sky's package that was called 'Freesat' and the non-Sky offering that was called FTA... >>

IMO, there should be no confusion:

www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/freesat-how-it-compares.a...x

Sky free to air = channels that Sky Astra satellite is obliged to broadcast without charging viewers a fee to receive them. This is NOT an alternative name for freesatfromsky.

FreeastfromSky = free sat channels that you can get using Sky's receiver and after paying a £20 fee for their card if you already have their equipment installed.

Freesat = limited BBC & ITV free digital channels offered via a "freesat" satellite receiver.

Freesat trademark was licensed to Sky for a short time, and Sky can now only use the term "descriptively" without receiving lawyers' letters. Therefore Sky now refer to their service as "freesatfromsky".

Anyway, this has all drifted away from the OP's question.

Edited by jbif on 07/02/2010 at 22:06

IMO there should be no confusion:

Sky free to air = channels that Sky Astra satellite is obliged to broadcast without
charging viewers a fee to receive them. This is NOT an alternative name for freesatfromsky. . . . .

So you have a situation where at one time, free satellite channels were viewed using an FTA reciever. A separate system called Freesat was operated by BSkyB which included mostly the same channels but with some extra ones encrypted, also broadcast from the ASTRA 2 platform. Later the BBC, ITV, and C4 rebrand and relaunch FTA under the name Freesat which includes all the channels from FTA, plus some other decrypted ones, but not all the ones included with Sky's Freesat. Over time, some of the previously encrypted ones are released from Sky's contract and become FTA. Later, Sky can no longer use the brandname Freesat, but does continue to use it descriptively, alongside the similar, but not quite the same 'Free to Air' (not to be confused with the other Freesat brand which is mostly the same, but with many detail differences such as EPG and some onboard decryption in the receiver)? No, that's not confusing at all.
The channels available via Freeset are via the same satellites Sky uses for their offering.
The free channels they offer and free... i.e. broadcast via the same satellites anyway.

So because the BBC channels and others are available via the same satellites you'd >> pick them up via if you
subscribe to Sky.... why not Freesat??? These channels have nothing to do with Sky.

I think the non-commercially funded ones (i.e. BBC and C4) should be encrypted subscription-only. If you want to buy a subscription to say a French sat package, not only do you have to pay, but it can only be invoiced to a French address.

Edited by dimdip on 07/02/2010 at 23:10

quick freeview question - rtj70
Spot on.
No, that's not confusing at all. >>

Not to me, it isn't.

Clearly there is a wide spectrum in the human capacity to be dim. ;-)

quick freeview question - Robbie
dimdip posted "I think the non-commercially funded ones (i.e. BBC and C4) should be encrypted subscription-only. If you want to buy a subscription to say a French sat package, not only do you have to pay, but it can only be invoiced to a French address."

Not so. You can receive the French channels M6, TF1, France 2, France 3, France 5, Arte and LCP on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5.0"W all free to air.
me thought me was going mad for a minute!! me coulsn`t find where i got the card from on the sky site either!!

but...here it is!! costs £20, me ordered mine 3wks ago!

mysky.sky.com/replacecard/
>>So because the BBC channels and others are available via the same satellites you'd >> pick them up if you
subscribe to Sky.... why not Freesat??? These channels have nothing to do with Sky.

exactly what i thought!! almost! - i get very few free channels for my £20 from sky via the box,

compared to what i get free from here via computer!!

www.tvguide.co.uk/tv_channel_streams.asp?c=35

(scroll down for channels)

me thinks me been had! - somewhere!

Billy
>>..compared to what i get free from here via computer!!>>

Nothing new there that isn't on Freeview and/or Freesat (probably just links to TV companies' websites) and, what's more, unless you have an unlimited internet connection, will eat up capped bandwidth allowance at a fair old rate.....:-)

A computer Freeview or satellite internal TV card or USB stick would save the use of your internet connection.
Hmmm! Theres 12 channels on there that i cant get via the sky box, might be worth considering running a cable from the computer to the telly, and dumping the sky box! - i`m sure such a thing exists. Not a prob regarding bandwith, my broadband is unlimited with Aol, although i only use that for e-mail, i browse with I.E.
>>Not a prob regarding bandwith, my broadband is unlimited with Aol, although i only use that for e-mail, i browse with I.E.>>

You will still be using AOL, if it's your ISP, whether you use IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome or whatever...:-)

However, if you exceed what an ISP feels is fair use of unlimited bandwidth then it can, and will, curtail download speeds if and when necessary.
quick freeview question - ifithelps
...Not a prob regarding bandwith, my broadband is unlimited...

Nice for some, my Sky broadband sometimes struggles to download a YouTube clip smoothly and without buffering breaks.

Energy saving...loft insulation - smokie
My latest bee in my bonnet involves reducing household spend on power. I'm exploring a number of things, like solar water heating and solar power generation, but initially I'mm looking at doing more to conserve the heat I have. We already have cavity walls and a layer of wool in the loft, but not as much as current specs suggest.

Our loft is jam packed with possessions, which would need to be emptied if we were to pay to have the work done. It is also partially boarded, which would mean that the boarding would need to come up and be re-laid if we used more floor insulation.

Does anyone have experience of rafter insulation? There seem to be two types - board and on a roll (see tinyurl.com/yd3nsod ). How it ends up looking isn't too important, but I don't want lots of rough fibrous stuff, either to handle or exposed after install.

Does anyone know much about the relative merits and ease of fitting of these types, or have any other suggestions?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2010 at 12:39

Energy saving...loft insulation - bathtub tom
Link doesn't work for me.

I'd be interested in this.
Energy saving...loft insulation - Old Navy
Your link isn't working for me, smokie. I trebled the insulation in my loft by laying another layer at right angles to the rafters, I used the Kanuf 200mm space blanket over the 100mmm laied between the rafters, this is plastic and space blanket wrapped and easy to handle. In the floored area I used the Kanuf space board over the existing insulation, with the flooring over that. I have thermostatically controlled radiators and have noticed that they are running much cooler although the house is warmer, I assume (and hope) my boiler is not working so hard to maintain the set temperature. I did the job last summer when the insulation was on "special offer" and this halved the cost. It is an excellent opportunity to de-clutter the loft, I got rid of loads of junk.
Energy saving...loft insulation - Dynamic Dave
Link corrected. The closed bracket right at the end of the tinyurl link prevented it from working. DD.

You'd have thought I'd have learnt that one by now, the amount of times I've done it!! smokie

Edited by smokie on 08/02/2010 at 12:41

Energy saving...loft insulation - Pugugly
I've re-insulated using space blanket - hardest task was cramming around 20 rolls into the Honda ! It was £5.30 a roll less a 15% voucher from B&Q. I insulated in the traditional way by insulating the "floor" of the attic - I didn't want to heat the space in the attic with warmth from below ! No mess.
Energy saving...loft insulation - Dipstick
When we did this last year the alleged payback period on the loft insulation was pleasingly short. We took it from ancient old "about two inches of crumbly old fluff" up to about 300mm, so a big change.

The catch that we didn't think though was that the loft, after the job, was then insufficiently ventilated and everything got a trifle damp. A nice man sorted that out and promptly increased the payback period considerably.

As to the important thing - was the house warmer - the answer is possibly, a bit, if you concentrate. Not overwhelming though in our case, nor have we been able to turn down any thermostats. As they say on the internets, ymmv.
Energy saving...loft insulation - JH
Dipstick,
"As to the important thing - was the house warmer - the answer is possibly, a bit, if you concentrate", that's my experience too. We stuffed the loft full of "space blanket" and something made from recycled lemonade bottles, on a B&Q two for one offer two years ago, taking insulation up from about four inches to the recommended ten. Then, late last spring we added cavity wall insulation, using a Sainsburys "no strings" offer after getting annoyed at the extras and escalating price from B&Q.

Observations;
we've had a cold winter so it's hard to say. Furthermore we're using oil, no gas out here, so I can't easily compare quarters bills. We certainly don't seem to be using more(!) which I might have expected given the temperatures we have had (and are still having. It's 2C out there right now with a 10 mph wind).

It is far cheaper to pay someone to do the job (loft insulation) than buy the materials yourself. But do they do as good a job?

You can't half cram a load of insulation into a Jazz with the back seats down. Makes the Tardis look poky! :-)

Why did I have to pay VAT on the insulation? I saved the planet Gordon and you charged me VAT on the materials!!! Potty.

JH
Energy saving...loft insulation - daveyjp
I would stick to a decent level of insulation at floor level. Insulation between rafters can lead to condensation.

Wickes had a buy one get 2 free offer on various rolls of insulation this weekend.
Sorry I think I got my terminology wrong, I insulated the floor of my loft.
Energy saving...loft insulation - FotheringtonThomas
I've been pondering this too. See: www.celotex.co.uk/Applications/Pitched-Roofs

You should be able to beat B&Q prices quite easily, BTW.
Energy saving...loft insulation - old crocks
Main problem with putting the insulation at rafter level is that you are effectively heating the loft before you get any benefit from the insulation. Much better to put it at floor level.

If you shop around and get roll insulation that has been subsidised by the energy companies it can be up to ten times cheaper than the rigid Celotex/Kingspan type insulation.

If you don't want visible rockwool then Old Navy's route of Knauf Spaceblanket is a good way to go. It you don't want to lift the existing boarding then Spaceboards can be used but are quite expensive - you need it two boards thick to match 150mm of Spaceblanket.
Energy saving...loft insulation - Mapmaker
You need to consider the benefits of a warm roof (insulating rafters) compared to a cold roof (insulating the joists supporting the ceiling below).

Beware condensation.

Energy saving...loft insulation - billy25
Recently took advantage of an offer on martyn lewis money saving site with regard to loft insulation, apparantly Npower were doing a 10000 roll offer (first come first served) for £1 a roll inc vat and delivery! - I grabbed my 20 rolls as soon as the offer opened, but when it was delivered, I took possession of 20 BIG rolls, thinking there looked to be rather alot, I checked them out and discovered that each BIG roll was infact 3 standard rolls!. When I phoned them to tell them of thier mistake, they just told me to keep them! my loft is well insulated now, but as others have said, it doesn`t seem much warmer, perhaps all the escaping heat is now trapped in the insulation!
Energy saving...loft insulation - Nsar
If you go for the insulated loft floor option, don't forget to leave the area under your header tank free of insulation, unless you want frozen pipes up there.

To the OP, have you also gone round the house proofing against drafts, had your boiler serviced, checked the C heating pump is A1, bled the radiators and fitted thermostatic valves on them?

"... proofing against drafts, ... boiler serviced, checked the C heating pump is A1, bled the radiators and fitted thermostatic valves on them?"

Nice, that's the kind of thinking I'm starting to do.

There are few "external" drafts (all double glazed) but we are keeping internal doors closed more. I have my voucher for £400 towards a new boiler, but am wondering why I'm about to spend over £1500 on swapping out what is a perfectly good boiler (annual savings appear to indicate a v long payback period). The pump is reasonably new and the rads get bled (and emptied) at decorating time, and sometimes in between if performance is degraded.

I am about to get a device fitted to the CH (www.adeysolutions.co.uk/TwinTech.asp )to catch all the magnetic and non-magnetic stuff that's making the system inefficient. We often get build-up of this in rads - can tell by warm edges and cold centres. I'm having this done in advance of the new boiler to clean the system a bit, and in favour of a power flush, which I had done a few years back and costs about £350.

I am also getting moderately excited about solar water heating and leccy generation, but was saving that for another day on here :-)
Energy saving...loft insulation - bathtub tom
>>I am about to get a device fitted to the CH (www.adeysolutions.co.uk/TwinTech.asp )

Interesting! I'd like to see some independant test results.

>>I am also getting moderately excited about solar water heating and leccy generation, but was saving that for another day on here :-)

I spent a very interesting day at the Centre for Alternative Technology (www.cat.org.uk/index.tmpl?refer=index&init=1) in Snowdonia.
I got the impression that the most efficient solar hot water system involved a DIY type job with a central heating radiator in the equivalent of a gardening cold frame. I'd love to fit such a device above a large, south-facing, lounge window. If I got the maths right it would also act as a sun-shade during the summer.

IIRC small level electric generation just didn't cost in.
IIRC small level electric generation just didn't cost in.

>>
Check the average annual wind speed in your area before considering a domestic wind generator, the wind speed in my area (east central Scotland) does not make it a viable option.

Edited by Old Navy on 08/02/2010 at 16:06

Energy saving...loft insulation - Mapmaker
>>I have my voucher for £400 towards a new boiler, but am wondering why I'm about to
>>spend over £1500 on swapping

Not worth it. Your new boiler has an expected life of 5 years; the old one will probably carry on forever.

>>the rads get bled (and emptied) at decorating time, and sometimes in between if
>>performance is degraded

If your radiators fill with "air" then either you have a leak in the system, or, more likely, you need more inhibitor in there - the "air" is in fact hydrogen gas generated as the system corrodes. That's why you have so much black iron oxide in your system.

>>www.adeysolutions.co.uk/TwinTech.asp

I have a suspicion that if you fit it to your car it will save you diesel as well. And if you wear it out clubbing you are more likely to pull.

For a start, the website is written by an illiterate author. "Leeching" (sic) rather than leaching.

Secondly, I don't believe that it will work even remotely effectively. The black sludge sits in the radiators. Your magnet is not powerful enough to draw it out of the radiators, merely to catch it as it goes past the magnet.

Edited by Mapmaker on 08/02/2010 at 17:38

My next-door-neighbour is my plumber (fully qualified too!).

He reckons a life of 15 years for the new fangled boilers - I reckoned 10+ years to break even on gas savings alone, so I have already decided to not go ahead with it. Although it is also true that my existing boiler will die sooner or later, so it's a bit of a calculated risk as to how long that will be.

The rads don't fill with air but I get the black sludge. It's an open system isn't it? I don't see where air would get in, as it isn't leaking anywhere. None of the rads are that old, as I tend to replace whenever I decorate.

However the magnetic device is apparently very good - he's installed them for others. We know it won't drag stuff out of the system, but once the system is reasonably clear (by removing and draining rads) it should keep it much cleaner.

I can't see the typo you refer to, if it indeed is one, but IMO perfect spelling ability isn't necessary for plumbers, and says nothing about the product.
Energy saving...loft insulation - dimdip
However the magnetic device is apparently very good - he's installed them for others.

British Gas installed one with the parents' new condensing boiler last year, if that counts for anything...
If your radiators fill with "air" then either you have a leak in the system
or more likely you need more inhibitor in there ... why you have so much
black iron oxide in your system.

There is a problem by the sound.

>> magnaclean

I have a suspicion that

I agree. Even should it work effectively, it would simply be masking any problem.
... proofing against drafts ... "external" drafts ...

I would worry more about the hobnailed boots of all these drafts marching up and down in your house and garden. They'll do damage, you know. Tell them to go away.

Use draught proofing strips or something if you're feeling draughty.

and the rads get bled (and emptied) at decorating time and sometimes in between if
performance is degraded.

The radiators should never need bleeding unless there's a fault with the CH system. This could be: Air being entrained. No inhibitor. Electrolytic corrosion. Make sure that the system isn't "pumping over", that there are no leaks, and put some inhibitor in.

I am about to get a device fitted to the CH (www.adeysolutions.co.uk...

and:
a power flush which I had done a few years back and costs about £350.

*Why?*

A £350 "power flush" added to the cost of a "magnaclean" go quite a way towards replacing the rotting radiators you currently have with new and better-looking ones.

Again, if your system is corroding, there's a problem. Fitting "devices" won't help. Sort out the root problem.
There was a mention of the condensation problem in the Telegraph the other week (couldn't find a link). Apparently the warm wet air from the rooms rises through the ceiling and insulation until it reaches its dewpoint somewhere within the insulation. Water then soaks the insulation, and eventually the ceiling plasterboard. Modern building standards include a vapour barrier under the insulation to prevent this. The columnist recommended staying with 100 mm insulation where there is no VB, iirc.
Here's the link dimdip.
tinyurl.com/yec7sp7
Blimey, there's always a doom-monger (not you dimdip) :-( Was this by any chance the Sunday edition? I haven't bought it in years but there was a chap in there who gave some very "contrary" building advice. Not to say that he's wrong of course! :-(

JH

Edited by JH on 08/02/2010 at 15:15

Thanks oc. Looks like I made up the 100 mm figure, he just says 'reduce the thickness'. Seems to suggest the VB can be fitted at the same time as the ins. which would hopefully avoid the problem at ceiling level at least. He does comes across as a tad world-weary JH :-)
Energy saving...loft insulation - SpamCan61 {P}
You need to consider the benefits of a warm roof (insulating rafters) compared to a
cold roof (insulating the joists supporting the ceiling below).
Beware condensation.

Yes, we haven't got much insulation above the ceiling, but I'm tempted to go the Celotex / Kingspan / similar stuff route as there's a fair amount of clutter stored in the loft, plus water pipes,tanks etc. so I'd rather not make the loft too cold.
so I'd rather not make the loft too cold.

*The OP is talking about insulating between the *rafters**
>> so I'd rather not make the loft too cold.
*The OP is talking about insulating between the *rafters**

Yes, but others are talking about insulation above the ceiling, my preference would be inter-rafter.

There's loads of data on the Kingspan site, for example, on applications, risks etc.:-

www.insulateonline.com/index1.htm?products.htm~main

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 08/02/2010 at 16:24

Energy saving...loft insulation - rtj70
Instead of the cost involved at improving insulation, etc., I had previously toyed with the idea of getting one of those monitors for the electric supply so you can see how how a particular electric item uses in terms of electric units.

.... still in between selling and buying so I watch this thread with interest. I do not think I would pay for solar panels in Manchester though... they may take forever to repay the outlay. When/if we move to southern Europe I will get some - and this is planned.
I have one of those monitors - They make you paranoid but they do save money !
I'm not convinced you'll get the cost of a monitor back either. What's it going to tell you that you don't already know? The fact that you have expressed an interest shows that you are energy conscious so you probably switch things off, don't use standby and so on. Wait for your electricity provider to give you one.

Darn, just as I submit the post PU says they save money. Well there's a man I'll believe. Maybe we should club together and bulk buy?

JH

Edited by JH on 08/02/2010 at 18:42

Children in the shower for a long long time costs.... proving that and changing their habits could repay quickly ;-) How someone needs to be in the shower (electric) for 20+ minutes....
Children in the shower for a long long time costs.... 20+ minutes....

Get a low-flow shower head, uses less water, less water to heat = less energy used = less cost. The 20 minute shower could cost you about 25p - but that's just a guess.
Energy saving...loft insulation - maz64
Get a low-flow shower head uses less water less water to heat = less energy
used = less cost.

Or use a jug - my morning shower, including hair wash, uses about 3 litres. I did suggest this to my teenage son, but he wasn't keen :(
How someone needs to be in the shower (electric) for
20+ minutes....

>>
Apply water conservation rules, water on for 20 seconds to wet body, apply soap, water on to wash off soap, total shower "on" time 90 seconds. Easy until a teenager or female is involved.
Energy saving...loft insulation - Stuartli
Some energy companies and one or two newspapers have been supplying such energy monitors free of charge.
I got mine cheap in surprise Tesco price cut thing. You become obsessed with it though - I warn you.
Energy saving...loft insulation - Alby Back
Every time you type your computer uses a tiny bit more electricity. Good reason to keep posts concise maybe ? ;-)

I was going to go on to say........

...........anyone got 50p for the meter ?
H, does yours not have a treadle? :-)

JH
Energy saving...loft insulation - Alby Back
Good idea !
;-)

I'm not convinced you'll get the cost of a monitor back either. What's it going
to tell you that you don't already know?

I think it depends what sort of brain you have;being an engineer type person I have reasonable idea how much appliances costs to run without a meter, and there's my 5 quid Lidl meter for other stuff. Other members of the Spamcan household incessantly switch energy saving bulbs on and off, saving 0.00001p per annum, but take endless hot baths. So a meter would be useful to give them a sense of proportion.

I did calculate the payback on one of those mickey mouse wind turbines the DIY sheds sell; it came out at around 20 years, and that was using the ( often optimistic) average windspeed data available.
I did calculate the payback on one of those mickey mouse wind turbines the DIY
sheds sell; it came out at around 20 years and that was using the (
often optimistic) average windspeed data available.

>>
Thats about what I came up with, in fact nearer 25 years for my area, (see my post above at 1603).

Edited by Old Navy on 08/02/2010 at 19:15

And it has got to keep working all that time. When B+Q built a new store near me they put a large turbine on the roof - not a propellor type but one with a vertical axis.

I've only seen it working about three times in over a year, and not for the last six months. The days I did see it move there wasn't much wind so it might have driven by an electric motor!
one of those monitors for the electric supply so you can see
how how a particular electric item uses in terms of electric units.

It's stated on a little plate stuck on the appliance somewhere.

So, your kettle takes a nominal 2.8 kW. That's 60/2.8 minutes on a unit - about 21 minutes. Your wall-hung TV takes 290W. That's 3 hrs 27 minutes per unit. Your 60W incandescent lightbulb runs for about 16 hrs 40 mins on a unit. Your replacement 11W "low energy" bulb runs for about 90 hrs 55 minutes on the same amount of electricity.
Your wall-hung TV takes 290W

My old 28" CRT was about 100W. My LCD is a lot less! 290W = massive plasma?
>> Your wall-hung TV takes 290W
290W = massive plasma?

I've no idea. The figure was just an example, but I have heard "about 300W" mentioned in the context of large Plasma TVs.

I've taken a "pot shot" at LCD TV power consumption. A thing called a "Samsung LE32B530", a 32" LCD set, takes about 80W when it's on. A Philips 32" CRT thing seems to use about 130W when on. The difference is 50W - you'd have to watch a *lot* of TV to notice a big price difference.
I'm no expert but I believe that LCD tvs became much more energy efficient from about the beginning of last year. To the point where you have to have a real monster for it to be using more than your old CRT. Prior to that your CRT used less electricity than most LCDs (gross generalistaion you understand). Prior to that, energy efficiency had not received much attention. Maybe Arnie woke up the manufacturers with his threat to ban big screens.

JH
Energy saving...loft insulation - jbif
I do not think I would pay for solar panels in Manchester though... they may take forever to repay the outlay >>

Supposing I give you an incentive: that for every kWh you generate and use yourself, YOU get paid over 40p per unit for NOT taking power from the grid (and save yourself the cost of buying that amount from the grid), and if you generate more than you need then any excess that you export to the grid will earn you 3p a unit.

Will you install it then? The scheme I have outlined (FIT) comes in to force in April

To help you decide, here is an extract from the news about this scheme:
" With interest rates at a current historic low, the 7-10% estimated returns under the FIT scheme offer a better investment than leaving money in the bank. " [*]

www.r-e-a.net/info/rea-news/details-of-feed-in-tar.../

[*] read notes to editors at the bottom of that page for the calculation assumptions.

Edited by jbif on 08/02/2010 at 18:57

No. Keeping it short because typing a longer response apparently uses more electric :-)

Seriously, yes you could get money back.... but it needs to generate electricity over and above you can use.... unlikely to happen. And costs a great deal to begin with.
but it needs to generate electricity over and above you can use >>

No, no, no. You don't seem to have understood the scheme.

The excess will earn you a paltry 3p a unit, so that is not worthwhile. However, anything that YOU do use, just even 10% of your normal consumption, that you manufacture from your own generation source will pay you over 40p a unit and save the cost of buying it from the grid.

The subsidy to you will be paid direct to you by the electricity suppliers, and will be funded by those people who do not generate their own electricity, via higher bills levied by the supply companies.

SQ
The subsidy to you will be paid direct to you by the electricity suppliers and
will be funded by those people who do not generate their own electricity via higher
bills levied by the supply companies.

Ah right, politics not engineering. I'll do the sums anyway.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2010 at 19:38

Energy saving...loft insulation - billy25
Read something similar to this in our local paper couple of weeks ago, some local councillor in conjunction with a renewable energy firm were touting for peoples ideas/reactions on a "self- supply" scheme. Basically, they want you to invest your own money into the scheme, then you withdraw returns (electricity/gridresalecash) proportionate to your inital investment.

I thought at the time that Dell-boy said it best, "Where there`s a scheme - theres a schemer Rodders!"
To help you decide here is an extract from the news about this scheme:
" With interest rates at a current historic low the 7-10% estimated returns under the
FIT scheme offer a better investment than leaving money in the bank. " [*]
www.r-e-a.net/info/rea-news/details-of-feed-in-tar.../
[*] read notes to editors at the bottom of that page for the calculation assumptions.

Having spent some time in my day job looking at powering telcomms equipment in remote (but very sunny) areas from pv panels the logistics seldom add up, even for equipment using only a couple of hundred watts. So the concept of anyone in the UK being able to generate enough power to sell it back seems implausible, but I'll trawl through the fine detail as it sounds intriguing.
So the concept of anyone in the UK being able to generate enough power to sell it back seems implausible, >>

I repeat, you do NOT have to export a single unit.

They pay you 40p+ for the power you generate to consume yourself.
On top of that add the saving from not having to pay for that power from the grid (10p a unit or whatever it is now).