What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 343 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 344 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 343. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/01/2010 at 18:18

Best hand tool to cut corrugated plastic roofing? - L'escargot
What's the best hand tool to cut plastic corrugated roofing, lengthwise and crosswise? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Best hand tool to cut corrugated plastic roofing? - Martin Devon
A fine saw/hacksaw at a shallow angle.

M
Best hand tool to cut corrugated plastic roofing? - 1400ted
I had to cut some last year. I found an angle grinder with a 1mm cutting blade did it very well with no splitting.

Ted
Best hand tool to cut corrugated plastic roofing? - FotheringtonThomas
An ordinary panel saw, slowly, taking care to use it at an oblique angle (especially across the corrugations).
Best hand tool to cut corrugated plastic roofing? - Brentus
I cut some a few years ago, i too used a angle grinder with a cutting blade in.
Best hand tool to cut corrugated plastic roofing? - Nsar
If it's quite thin then you might get away with tin scissors, certainly going lengthways, but you coud end up with sharp edges (think of cutting wrapping papaer with scissors). Lengthways a steady hand and a good Stanley knife drawn down two or three times.

Crosswise a fine toothed hand or powersaw.
Doppler effect question. - bristol01
Why does the pitch/tone of a police car siren, aeroplane engine, etc. appear to lower when it has passed by?

Edited by Pugugly on 28/01/2010 at 10:58

Doppler effect question. - drbe
I believe it's called the Doppler Effect.

tinyurl.com/7r59s (Edited to add the Wikipedia link)

As the vehicle is coming toward you, the sound waves are, in effect, compressed.
As the vehicle is going away from you, the sound waves are, in effect, stretched.

This could be called a layman's explanation.

Edited by drbe on 28/01/2010 at 11:04

Doppler effect question. - Old Navy
On approaching the sound waves are slightly compressed giving a slightly higher frequency and therefore pitch, after passing, slightly streched giving a lower frequency and pitch. I would think that NC will have a mathematical answer which I will not understand. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 28/01/2010 at 11:07

Doppler effect question. - ifithelps
The normal effect is distorted when you are in a tin box - your car - in which most of the sound comes through the roof.

This masks the position of the source of the sound and its movement.

So, if you were sat in your car parked in a layby, you would get the distorted effect as the police car passed, but you would get the full effect if you got out of the car.

Edited by ifithelps on 28/01/2010 at 16:02

Doppler effect question. - Altea Ego
And the doppler effect is used by radar to calculate speed
Doppler effect question. - Lud
Doppler effect works with any wave phenomenon including light. In the case of light it is called 'red shift' as the wavelength compresses or stretches. Perhaps there are objects that are invisible to us because they are travelling away at more than the speed of light.

However I see these things in mechanical terms, and it seems that with serious heavyweight physics the laws of ordinary mechanics shift about uncomfortably and get disobeyed.

Can't help feeling curious though like a kid peeping through a hole in something at something.
Doppler effect question. - jbif
Perhaps there are objects that are invisible to us because they are travelling away at more than the speed of light. >>

The matter inside black holes, perhaps?

The normal effect is distorted when you are in a tin box - your car
- in which most of the sound comes through the roof.

How does the tin box alter the change in frequency? Surely the frequency of the sound will be effected equally both before and after the closest point of the sound source to the receiver (ear).
... when you are in a tin box - your car - in which most of the sound comes through the roof. This masks the position of the source of the sound and its movement. .. >>

How? Why?

My hearing is not as good as that of teenagers. I find that with my eyes closed, I can tell that an emergency vehicle with its high pitched siren blaring is approaching, but I cannot tell (without looking for tell-tale blue lights) which direction the vehicle is approaching from.
This applies whether I am in or out of a tin box of a car.

but I cannot tell (without looking for tell-tale blue lights) which direction the vehicle is approaching from. >>

I am not alone:

www.soundalert.com/technology.htm

" ... Research has shown that the human brain is very poor at locating the direction of sounds when they have a narrow frequency bandwidth. A well-known example of this is the Emergency Vehicle Siren - where it is common for people to be confused as to whether an emergency vehicle is approaching from in front or behind them, or even the left or right. ... >>

Doppler effect question. - ifithelps
...Research has shown that the human brain is very poor at locating the direction of sounds...

The metal roof of the car lets in more sound than the glass windows.

So most of what you hear is coming from above, this together with the difficulty we all have in locating the direction of sounds, leads to people struggling to 'place' a police siren.

It's a lot easier if you have a convertible - provided the roof's down.

I've posted before about when I was flashed for slowing and pulling to the left for a police car with its siren going.

I heard the siren before the driver behind.

For a second or two, until he also heard it, he couldn't make out why I slowing down.

...Research has shown that the human brain is very poor at locating the direction of
sounds...

What has the the human difficulty in assessing the location of a sound source got to do with doppler?

Edited by Old Navy on 28/01/2010 at 18:53

Doppler effect question. - SpamCan61 {P}
SQ
What has the the human difficulty in assessing the location of a sound source got
to do with doppler?

The connection is jbif's inability to determine from which way a nee-naw sound is coming from. :-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/01/2010 at 23:53

The connection is jbif's inability to determine from which way a nee-naw sound is coming from. :-) >>

and it should have been clear (but maybe not to the OldNavy) if my post was quoted by "ifithelps" using the preferred quotation method for this forum. ;-)
" ... Research has shown that the human brain is very poor at locating the direction of sounds when they have a narrow frequency bandwidth. A well-known example of this is the Emergency Vehicle Siren - where it is common for people to be confused as to whether an emergency vehicle is approaching from in front or behind them, or even the left or right. ... >>

Edited by jbif on 28/01/2010 at 21:41

jbif,

The key word in your post is "approaching", therefore the frequency will not have shifted (Doppler effect) as the sound source passes the listener. Closing or opening Doppler is a steady frequency (assuming the relative speed of the source is constant) towards or away. Doppler effect is the frequency shift as the source passes the listener.
Old Navy:
The key word in your first post on this subject is "approaching":
"Thu 28 Jan 10 11:04

On approaching the sound waves are slightly compressed giving a slightly higher frequency and therefore pitch, after passing, slightly streched giving a lower frequency and pitch. .... .... :-) >>

And even that oft incorrect website uses the word "approaching":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

Edited by jbif on 28/01/2010 at 22:04

Yup, that accurately describes Doppler effect. Sorry, I didn't refer to wiki, I just worked with submarine sonar systems for 30 odd years. :-) I repeat If the source is approaching the frequency is steady, but shifted high. This has no relevance to the human ability to determine the direction of the sound with the naked ear.

Edited by Old Navy on 28/01/2010 at 22:13

Doppler effect question. - ForumNeedsModerating
Ah yes - the old Doppler effect myth. Dear questioner, please disregard all the scientific mumbo-jumbo in the previous answers.

The actual reason for police sirens sounding higher & more intense as they approach, is purely psychological - the police car is heading towards you - destination unknown.
As it approaches, closer & closer, the tension & feelings of impending doom (or maybe even suppressed guilt..) increase - leading to a sensation of increasing fear, which quite naturally, you perceive as a rising of pitch.

Conversely, as it passes you & recedes, the feeling of relief & relaxation are perceived as a gentle mellowing (or lowering ) of tone. Relieved, of course, because they're after somebody else - on this occasion anyway.

Ah yes - the old Doppler effect myth.>>

Best analysis yet, the rest is all black magic, smoke, and mirrors. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 29/01/2010 at 07:59

Help me find a carrier for a long long parcel - Clanger
Can anyone recommend a carrier for a 10 kg parcel which is 3.6 metres long? I've poked around on the Internet but personal experience would be invaluable. Delivery time up to a week doesn't matter.
Help me find a carrier for a long long parcel - pmh3
If the carrier has a a dimensional limit what is it?

It is possible that you could pack the item into a rectangular box about 1.8 x1.8 x2.6 (if iI have got the arithmetic correct !) all depends on the other dimensions.

Edited by pmh3 on 28/01/2010 at 17:33

Help me find a carrier for a long long parcel - FotheringtonThomas
I needed the opposite - a small but very heavy parcel (the single-package limit is a piddly 32Kg for most carriers!) - I managed to find someone who was going in the right direction, and gave them some money.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 28/01/2010 at 17:42

Help me find a carrier for a long long parcel - spikeyhead {p}
try putting your requirements into the shiply website, can't remember the full address but should be googleable
Best value PAYG SIM - Happy Blue!
Anyone got a handle on the best value PAYG SIM only deal. Want it to sit in my Volvo Comms Pack for occasional use. Unlikely to be using it to do anything other than occasional calls.

I recall Tesco was good value - is it still?
Best value PAYG SIM - jbif
the best value PAYG SIM only deal >>

AFAIK, nothing beats ASDA. [*]
www.asdamobile.com/sim_pack.html
They use the Vodafone network. Tesco is good value for those topping up monthly with £10 or more (as they double/triple the credit).
Calls...... 8p/min flat rate
Texts...... 4p/text to any UK mobile network
£5 FREE airtime
Buy a SIM card, top-up £10 and you'll get another £5 credit FREE! You can also get the £5 FREE credit when you buy a SIM card at your local ASDA.

[*] check Martin's monesavingexpert website for latest information on the current best deal.

Edited by jbif on 28/01/2010 at 19:13

Best value PAYG SIM - deepwith
Vodaphone give 300 free texts and 200 free minutes, to be used by the end of the month, if you top up by £10. 600 texts and 400 minutes for £15.

The money can then be used for internet connection, if you use it.
Best value PAYG SIM - daveyjp
If you don't intend to use it that often Virgin. 15p a minute, but no monthly top ups required.

The downside is being on T mobile there are more dead areas on the network.

Try Ikea mobile too.
Best value PAYG SIM - jbif
OP said:
Want it to sit in my Volvo Comms Pack for occasional use. Unlikely to be using it to do anything other than occasional calls. >>

On that basis, I cannot see how any of the alternatives to ASDA can be better value.

Best value PAYG SIM - SpamCan61 {P}
Agreed, I've been using ASDA PAYG/ Vodafone for a month now, on the basis it was cheaper than a Voda 30 day SIM only contract. Porting my number took a day longer than expected, but that was over Xmas so understandable. Being a bloke my phone calls tend to be short, still got 6 quid out of my first tenner left :-), plus they give you a pound credit if you port your number over. I got a spare SIM as well, one call every 3months keeps the number live.
Best value PAYG SIM - deepwith
My one for sitting in the car is a Lyca SIM, bought from the 99p Shop. 5p to a landline, 10p to a mobile, about 3p to India, 10p connection and no further charge to any other Lyca! Can look online to see where you have called/texted. Still on the original £10 + £2 they gave me for registering - since September.
Technical writing / authorship books ? - dimdip
Does anyone happen to know whether there's a recognised best text on this subject? Thanks
Mobile phone internet cont.. - deepwith
Thank you Smokie - no idea why I didn't Google it initially. Seem to have been connected since I followed the advice. Virtual pint and a big hug for you ;-)
Companies house - how to get accounts please - janliv18
How do I obtain a companies accounts? Looking on Companies house Webcheck they are not listed. The specfic company in question only they only have the following entries:

Document
363a 02/04/2009 RETURN MADE UP TO 31/03/09; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

Document
287 02/04/2009 REGISTERED OFFICE CHANGED ON 02/04/09 FROM:
GISTERED OFFICE CHANGED ON 02/04/2009 FROM

Document
287 06/02/2009 REGISTERED OFFICE CHANGED ON 06/02/09 FROM:
GISTERED OFFICE CHANGED ON 06/02/2009 FROM

Document
AA 06/02/2009 31/03/08 TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL

Document
363s 15/07/2008 RETURN MADE UP TO 31/03/08; NO CHANGE OF MEMBERS

Document
AA 02/05/2008 31/03/07 TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL

Document
363a 19/04/2007 RETURN MADE UP TO 31/03/07; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

Document
NEWINC 31/03/2006 INCORPORATION DOCUMENTS
CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION
STATEMENT OF DIRECTORS & REGISTERED OFFICE
DECLARATION OF COMPLIANCE
MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION
ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION

Edited by janliv18 on 29/01/2010 at 10:32

Companies house - how to get accounts please - Jamesh266
You need to download the AA [Date] Total Exemption Small

The "Total Exemption Small" means that the accounts will not have been audited because the turnover over the company is below £6.5 million.
Companies house - how to get accounts please - janliv18

so does that mean there are no accounts available?

thank you
Companies house - how to get accounts please - Jamesh266
The accounts are available to download, but they have not been independently audited. Normally on the small company accounts you will just get the balance sheet, not a profit and loss account.
Public sector pensions nil increase - bintang
These pensions are subject to yearly indexed increases but I have been told mine will not be increased this year as it is older than 10 April 2000. The pension provider does not know why this rule applies - unexplained orders from above. Does anyone know the precise answer, please?
Public sector pensions nil increase - JH
Could he be talking nonsense and the reason is that RPI was below zero in December?

JH
Public sector pensions nil increase - Stuartli
This link may help:

tinyurl.com/yczqf6j

Perfect. Thank you.
Public sector pensions nil increase - jbif
Does anyone know the precise answer, please? >>

(Using the handy link that smokie used to answer deepwith's question on the nokia)

lmgtfy.com/?q=Public+sector+pensions+2010

I think Stuartli may have arrived at his link by similar means.

Edited by jbif on 29/01/2010 at 14:33

>>I think Stuartli may have arrived at his link by similar means.>>

Nearly, but not quite right. I'm well versed in pinpointing appropriate questions when using search engines...:-)
Public sector pensions nil increase - JH
So I got the month wrong but the right answer. 5 points please!

JH
>>So I got the month wrong.. >>

Was never an issue in relation to the answer...:-)
Public sector pensions nil increase - L'escargot
Public sector workers don't know how well off they are, having index linked pensions. My private sector pension will never increase. On top of that it's based on a "sliced" salary, i.e. final salary less an amount equal to the single persons state old age pension, and not the full final salary.
Somewhat off the point. In fact, my own private sector pension (which is much larger than the one at issue) is subject to the whims of a French provider, who does not speak English, to say nothing of the possible crack-up of the Euro.
My private sector pension will never increase. >>

Not true in my case. However, many of those who voted Labour 13 years ago will probably have cause to regret their decision....:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 29/01/2010 at 23:14

honeymoon advise - audiA6tdi
Going to the Maldives & Dubai for our honeymoon. Does anyone know these destinations or has been and can advise if im paying the right price? I can post flight details/prices i have been quoted etc if any BR's have been before and have any info.

honeymoon advise - bell boy
surely saying im going on honeymoon is the same as saying to the man in the parts counter its a diesel turbo,you always get the sharp intake of breath and a price doubling
why not go to these places on the cheapest flights and upgrade the hotel once you are there,this way everyone is in the dark although maybe you might want to let mrs audiA6tdi in on it
thats what im thinking as the quotes we have had back are around the £18k mark - that is flying business class and in one of the top hotels in the world. The mrs said we only get married once so we should make it amazing, although my mind was elsewhere at the time thinking what car i could buy with that £18k.....!
honeymoon advise - bell boy
i saw a row of terraced houses do £18k 20 years ago,they all rent out at £395 a month now
honeymoon advise - 1400ted
Llandudno by train, a few nights cheap B+B, watch the sun go down over West Beach with a bag of chips (shared).
Then back home, straight down to a dealer of your choice clutching a bag with £17.750 in it.

Don't bother to thank me for advice...I'm just an old romantic !

Ted
honeymoon advise - rtj70
Go to a beatiful Greek island for a month instead. £9000 will go a long way to please anyone. The two islands in that Abba movie are nice.

I'm not saying this to be cheesy. £18k (if we can believe you) is a stupid figure. Unless you are able to pay that without blinking an eye. But you seem to want to reduce the cost.
I hope you have not fallen off your chair ! (as i did when i found out the price!) £18k is the norm - friends that have been have paid more! I know its meant to be amazing there etc but its a lot of money to blow on two week amazing or not trip.

The following is the quote:

Depart 11 November from Heathrow @ 0845 Arrive Dubai @ 1945
Club Class with Emirates

Private Return Transfer
3 nights at ATLANTIS in an ATLANTIS room including breakfast

Depart 15 November from Dubai @ 0325 Arrive Maldives @ 0850
Club Class with Emirates
Return yacht transfer

6 nights at One & Only Reethi Rah in a Beach Villa
Including breakfast
6 nights at One & Only Reethi Rah in a Water Villa
Including breakfast

Depart 27 November from Male Male @ 0955 Arrive Dubai @ 1300
Depart 27 November from Dubai @ 1430 Arrive Heathrow @ 1815
Club Class with Emirates
Total cost : £17599

honeymoon advise - AdrianM
Unfortunately the price appears spot on.......approx a grand a night for the One & Only - makes Atlantis seem a snip! If you can afford it comfortably then go for it. Can't comment on Maldives (except to say it is my sisters favourite place in the world), Dubai is spectacular but you only need a few days there.
honeymoon advise - old crocks
£17599. And it's only Bed and Breakfast!!!!
honeymoon advise - Rattle
You are so right though :) I would be more than happy with a week in Llandudno for my honeymoon, it dosn't really matter if I have a tent or a 5 star hotel it is the person you'te with that counts :).

That said I am not sure I actually would go there, but you will never get me on a plain so it has to be local (be warned future wife!).
honeymoon advise - Pugugly
Find a way to put it against tax !!!
honeymoon advise - Martin Devon
Madness. 18k pah!
honeymoon advise - bintang
A delicate time, can be disenchanting and you may regret the large outlay. I wish I had kept mine more modest.
honeymoon advise - Altea Ego
18k is an obscene amount of money to spend on a honeymoon. My wife would have divorced me if I had spent that much. Going to the maldives and dubai is not 18k's worth of amazing, if anything its rather chavy now.

Flying over the grand canyon in a helicopter is amazing, seeing the night sky in the australian outback is amazing, going up the corinth canal in a cruise ship is amazing.

Edited by Altea Ego on 30/01/2010 at 09:26

18k is an obscene amount of money to spend on a honeymoon.

my thoughts exactly. I went to egypt couple of years ago and had an amazing time, that cost around £2000 if i recall in a really nice hotel.
Most of the honeymoon money is coming from family and friends so wont really 'cost' me a great deal but Im with other on this that you can go to other places for less.
honeymoon advise - SpamCan61 {P}
I know a couple of people who've been to Dubai; it's just shops full of mega expensive bling; concrete and sand. That's it: neither would go back.I would think you could do a world tour for 18 grand, personally my wedding cost about 100 quid, honeymoon about 400 hundred...and I'm still married 17 years later.
honeymoon advise - Big Bad Dave
My first wedding and honeymoon cost £22k - a grand for every month it lasted.

Did the second wedding in a registry office on the King's Road - dress, flowers, cars, reception and fight in Henry J Beans for a few hundred quid - still together and couldn't be happier.
honeymoon advise - 1066
ive been to dubia and the other emirates at least 20 times in the last 25 yrs and if i was paying i'd go to vegas instead. less tacky and more enjoyment
as siad just sand and concrete.
many nicer places to visit but the maldives are nice and worth going to.
Ok well look, if you have the 18k and can only spend it on a honeymoon, you can do better than the madlives.

Give it some thought, outside the box. Breakfast on the great wall of china, diving lessons on the great barrier reef, champagne and cocktails on table mountain at sunset.

The wife and I have a little project going.

Afternoon tea at the great classic hotels in the world.

We have done claridges, Reids in madeira, Raffles in singapore, Florians in St Marco Venice.

etc etc so many hotels still to do.
honeymoon advise - Pugugly
Apparently there's a fad for bringing back and planting palm trees - they'd look good in your garden and provide some excellent screening and shade.
honeymoon advise - Big Bad Dave
"Afternoon tea at the great classic hotels in the world."

I could meet you both for tea and cabbage in the Ibis, Warsaw...
Wow Dave, you could get a job writing travel brochures, you make it sound so glamourous.
honeymoon advise - Stuartli
>>Reids in Madeira..>>

My stay there produced the one and only time I've ever been in a lift that jammed between floors.

Took nearly an hour to be freed from a tiny, but packed lift...:-(
honeymoon advise - Old Navy
That is one high maintenance lady, what is the lifetime cost? :-)
honeymoon advise - Fullchat
Kenya and taking in a safari - unforgettable.
honeymoon advise - Kevin
>Total cost : £17599

You can add at least another $3000 to that for food and drink.

A coke, small beer or mineral water is around $10 at Reethi and dinner for two will be $100 upwards. If you like a good steak or lobster plus a bottle of wine expect $2-300.

Mrs. K and I have been taking a winter break in Maldives for quite a few years now. We usually go "all-inclusive" but take dinner a la carte.

Emirates is the best airline flying from UK to Maldives but Club is a waste of money. Economy is perfectly comfortable for two shortish flights. Save the cash for extra treats when you get there. Spend it on a PADI course (~$800pp) or extra dives ($100ea.) if you're already qualified. Hire a seaplane for a private sightseeing tour (Maldivian Air Taxi and Trans-Maldivian both do private hire in one of their Twin Otters.)

Before you book see if you can get hold of "Resorts of Maldives" by Adrian Neville ISBN:978-0-9556043-3-1 which gives a description of nearly every resort in Maldives. Reethi is very good but there are other places you should consider too.

email me via the mods if you have specific questions.

Kevin...
Royal Albert Hall - Seating Question - Bromptonaut
Considering attending the Classic FM Live concert in March. Main attraction is Julian Lloyd Webber playing Elgar's Cello concerto.

Seats are avaialble in the Arena, Upper Circle and Choir. The latter seem very near the orchestra and with a good view but are the cheapest in the house. Is there some reason of acoustics why they may be poor or is it just not the done thing to sit behind the orchestra (instruments on "wrong" sides)?

Any assistance welcome. Would lke to book this weekend once I've ascertained whether Miss Bromp wants to accompany SWMBO and me.
Royal Albert Hall - Seating Question - deepwith
I would opt for the Arena if possible, then the Upper Circle. Choir is not that good for sound.

Spent quite a lot of time in 'the Gods' when going out with a student in my youth, which was fun - there are no seats - but a long, long way up. The boxes are good too, if you happen to know anyone who owns one ...
Cheap rechargable digital camera - nick
My wife wants a cheap, small, light digital camera that uses batteries that can be recharged by plugging in to a pc or laptop. I've suggested using the camera on her phone but she wants something that gives better quality.
Any recommendations please?
Cheap rechargable digital camera - smokie
A phone with a better camera? :-) SWMBO has just done that instead of a new cam, on the basis that she will usually have the phone for those unexpected shots. It really does a good job for average work. Not much good in darker areas though - but then neither is a £100 Kodak camera I have. She now also has internet, email, Facebook on the move which she is finding more useful than she expected.

Edited by smokie on 30/01/2010 at 11:39

Skt TV - Viewing card - VR6
Hi all,
I'm currently selling my Sky+ HD box on Ebay. Quick question - is it ok to give away my Sky viewing card with the box?

I'm basically worried about the card having any private details of my account on it.
Skt TV - Viewing card - Altea Ego
No I dont think it is, the card is the property of sky.
Skt TV - Viewing card - SpamCan61 {P}
No I dont think it is the card is the property of sky.

>>
yes, I wouldn't leave it in from a security point of view plus it does say 'property of Sky subscriptions' on it.
Skt TV - Viewing card - VR6
Well, I'm keeping it with me then. Just read the back of the card too, didn't realise it said 'Property of Sky'. If they want it back, they can ask for it I suppose.
Foul water stench pipe question - bathtub tom
My daughter's looking at a house that has a single story extension to the rear.

It's the end of a terrace of four.

The other three, and others in other terraces, have a stench pipe at the rear of the house where the extension is on the one my daughter's looking at.

The house my daughter's looking at has no stench pipe.

I've seen the property and I couldn't find a foul water manhole. I suspect the new floor in the extension may have been put over the manhole! It's obviously newer than the extension.

Is there any way I can find out what's going on here?

My daughter's quite besotted with the house, however both she and I have had drain problems before and we're both aware we need to know what's going on.

Both the seller and estate agent were vague when asked about it with replies like 'it would have been done properly' and 'it passed building regs'.
Foul water stench pipe question - daveyjp
You can remove soil vent pipes and replace with a Durgo valve, so not having one is not a problem assuming this has been done, have a look at the toilet waste pipe. It will be vertical with the toilet and end at about cistern level - but many get boxed in - ours is.

In cases like this it is worth paying a plumber for a drains survey and test.

Foul water stench pipe question - bathtub tom
Thanks for that daveyjp. I've learnt something new today.

Now all we have to sort out is where to rod from. If she buys it!
Which MP3 player? - update - ifithelps
Well, I wish I was as thin as my new iPod Nano.

My idea is to put my CD collection on it for use in the car, inspired by an aux socket in the glovebox of the CC3.

I've put about 70 CDs on so far using iTunes and that went faultlessly.

Made one purchase, as a test, a track called It Wasn't Me by George Thorogood and the Destroyers - nice bit of Yankee slide guitar rock.

Impressed with iTunes, works well and fairly simple to operate, which is Apple all over.

Ditto the iPod, easy to use, desirable to handle, and nice to look at.

I've gone for the 16gb version, which will hold my CD collection with a bit, but not much, space to spare.

Good thing I didn't get the 8gb, that would have been too small, although my iPod would barely hold the index of some people's collection - evening, Smokie. :)

Sound quality OK, certainly more than adequate for the car.

Full volume won't rattle any windows, so anyone who likes it really loud should look elsewhere.

Overall, I'm pleased with my iPod, which will do the job I bought it for and probably a bit more besides.

Which MP3 player? - update - rtj70
Full volume won't rattle any windows

Apple, keen not to offend those in power in the EU hierarchy, limit the volume. You can make a fair bit of difference if you change the Volume adjustment in iTunes for the tracks. But if you select all and do this then it will then need to resync with the iPod.

Remember the music is all digital so this is adjusting the max volume essentially. I've never noticed a problem doing this but it does mean you can crank up the volume a bit.
Which MP3 player? - update - Altea Ego
Connect your ipod to the radio by the USB port. No volume limit issue then.
But I believe the Ford CC3 has a 3.5mm aux port like on my old Mondeo. So does not support USB connections.
Which MP3 player? - update - Armitage Shanks {p}
My daughter gave me a new style Walkman for my ??th bithday; about 13 gigs, Blue tooth headphones supplied and plays into the ICE of my new Ford and all for £99 delivered. Well pleased but I haven't ever tried an i pod.
Which MP3 player? - update - SpamCan61 {P}
With some Creative players you can re-flash the player with US software rather than EU, giving a higher volume level on the 3.5mm. Maybe you can do the same with iPods.
Which MP3 player? - update - daveyjp
Are you using the headphone output into your aux socket? Ideally you should use an ipod dock to 3.5mm cable.
...you change the Volume adjustment in iTunes for the tracks....

Er, can't see how to do this, unless you mean the preamp volume in the equaliser?

...use a USB connection....

As rtj70 says, the CC3 only has a 3.5mm aux input.

...Are you using the headphone output into your aux socket? Ideally you should use an ipod dock to 3.5mm cable...

Yes, I'm using a 3.5mm jack plug to jack plug lead, which is the neatest and simplest installation for the car.

There probably is sufficient volume, and it's early days yet.

I'm having a run out of a good few miles later on this morning, which will give me the chance to give it a proper audition.

My thanks to everyone for your replies.

Are you using the headphone output into your aux socket? Ideally you should use an ipod >> dock to 3.5mm cable.

Good point daveyjp, the audio output from the headphone socket is limited in volume but the one via the connector should not be.

When you select a track though, select GetInfo and then on the options tab there will be an option for volume adjustment. Try a track and test. If it's a solution for you, you'd have to resync all tracks and all tracks need changing. But the GetInfo option works when multiple/all tracks are selected.
... select GetInfo and then on the options tab there will be an option for volume adjustment...

There certainly is.

I was a bit scared of a 'select all' change, but sometimes a man just has to be brave, and I have cranked up the top volume a couple of notches.

Only took about 10 minutes to sync my weedy collection of about 1,400 songs.

I'll continue with the 3.5mm lead for the time being because it's nice and simple.

Any further mods might depend on how long the battery lasts, which I'll not know until I've used the iPod for a week or two.

Edited by ifithelps on 31/01/2010 at 18:17