What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Petrol cap cover/door broken off - how to replace? - Chris Adams
Hi all, my grateful thanks to forum users who advised me where to buy car mats for my Focus (eventually bought from Dagenham Motors in Stamford Hill, north London.)

Hope you can help me with the following: This morning I noticed that the cover/door over/outside the petrol cap was missing, presumably because someone has broken it off. It is nowhere to be seen, so I assume it has been stolen. Just to be clear, this is the round cover/door outside the petrol cap, which is locked when the central locking is on (which it was) and is the first thing to be opened in order to get access to the petrol cap.

At the moment the petrol cap is not completely exposed because there is a black horizontal piece of plastic (a kind of 'secondary door') which is still locked (is this part of the cover/door?) covering the cap. (However this still leaves a gap at the top and bottom - similar to the logo/symbol of the London Underground.)

The car is a black Ford Focus LX 1.6 petrol, 2006 06 reg.

In case any of you have experience or knowledge of this issue:
1. Where's a good place to have the petrol cap cover/door replaced? (does not have to be new). (I live near Wood Green, north London, but can travel if the place is good/recommended.)
2. Any idea of the potential cost? (Insurance is not an option; £400 excess!)
3. My MOT and service are due within 2 weeks - any advantage in having the petrol cap cover/door replaced at the same time?
(4. Less important question: do you think whoever did this wanted the cover/door itself or access to the petrol? Has this happened to any of you?)

I would be extremely grateful for answers to any of the above, especially recommendations for where to go for a new cover/door. Many thanks in advance, Chris
Petrol cap cover/door broken off - how to replace? - carl1981

Hi,

I know you didnt get any replys to this message but i was wondering if you managed to work out how to get it replaced.

The same thing has happend to me, only it wasnt stolen it literally just came off in my hand when i closed the cap becuase the car locked itself and stopped it.

Had a quote from a ford garage who wanted £1,000 plus to fix it !!!

Regards,

Carl

Petrol cap cover/door broken off - how to replace? - monty3360

Hi there

I have the same problem with mine wondering how to go about relpacing it

Regards

Tony Gaughan