What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 342 [Read only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 343 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 342. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/01/2010 at 23:36

multiroom sound - audiA6tdi
Moving into a new house soon and looking to install sound systems in a number of rooms. I went to look around a showhome today with the mrs to get some ideas etc. They had a system intergrated into the house called Opus. Speakers on the ceiling and a control panel on the wall by the light switch controlled everything from a central server. It was great but checking the prices off the web its very costly. Im looking to install something similar but on a smaller budget and wondered if i can do it. Im looking to have 3 or 4 rooms with their own amp & stereo speakers. Id like to have all the music stored centrally in the house - maybe on a NAS drive via the linksys wireless router. What i need to know is if there is a cheap device (i.e not Opus or Sonos) i can plug into each amp to access the NAS drive with all the music on there?

thanks
multiroom sound - Jamesh266
The Logitech Squeezebox Duet is cheap and should do what you want. The hand held controller is under £200, and the receiver bit that plugs into your hifi is under £100.

At our office we use a Linn Sneaky DS. It is more expensive (£900 ish) but has an amplifier built in, so you just need to add speakers. It only has a wired internet connection, and the control software is not very good, but there is an iPhone app you can use to operate it instead. It makes up for all its flaws with superb sound quality.
multiroom sound - JH
Sonos is supposed to be the bees knees - www.sonos.com.

JH
multiroom sound - VR6
I own a Squeezebox Classic and I do like it. However, the software is a bit clunky. With the Squeezebox I think you can play different music on different Squeezeboxes at the same time, but you'd need to check to make sure.

Off the top of my head (so I may be wrong) you could also:
-Store all your music on a central computer running Itunes, or a NAS, but I'm not sure that you can run Itunes on a NAS without a PC
-Buy 4 Apple Airport Express wireless routers / streamer things and plug into amps
-Buy a Apple Ipod Touch / iPhone to use as a remote (free Apple 'remote' software) or just use the PC Itunes is on.
-Hey presto you have what you want.

Not sure if the apple route above would let you play different music in different rooms at the same time. Apple also do Apple TV which will stream music and video - may be worth it for the main listening room?
multiroom sound - rtj70
I meant to respond earlier but needed to drive to Scotland soon after.

If I were in the same situation I might consider an Apple solution. Bear with me. And it would have the same sound in all rooms.

iTunes can be controlled via an iPod touch or iPhone as a remote (as can an AppleTV) and guests can join in too to edit play lists. So basically:

- iTunes library somewhere with ability to play/stream (a PC or Mac then)
- Apple Airports Express wireless adapters in power sockets (speakers plugged into the 3.5mm port on the Airport Express)

Sure it can get more complex but the ability to stream iTunes music to a 13pin plug (effectively) basically has some mileage. To remote control it via an iPod touch or iPhone makes it even better.
multiroom sound - audiA6tdi
The only thing that puts me off the Logitechs, like the Opus etc is the price. Could I but 3 cheap netbooks and run itunes on them and then connect a NAS or external hard drive up to m Linksys WRT610n with USB connection? I no it wouldnt be as 'slick' as the other systems but it would work. I already have a spare Sony amp and could buy another amp for not much, purchase some Mission speakers for around £150.

Just looking on the net and the airport express isnt that expensive - maybe an option to look into. Im not into all this wireless audio so bare with me but if i had 3 or 4 airport express's linked into the amps would i need 3 or 4 ipod touch's? or would the amps all be playing the same song? or could they play different tracks?
multiroom sound - rtj70
The Airport Express would all be playing the same song being streamed from the iTunes library host. So only one iPod touch or iPhone needed to remotely control iTunes.

Edited by rtj70 on 26/01/2010 at 09:15

multiroom sound - SpamCan61 {P}
I use my Acer netbook to stream music from my main PC using uPnP,so that should work; however my main multiroom music set-up is a couple of Logik IR100 wifi radio /media streamers coupled to 'normal' micro 'HiFi' systems .

These handle more music formats than most of the expensive alternatives and have been working for the best part of 3 years now, powered up 24/7. 50 quid each at PC World, unfortunately difficult to buy new now, but there's almost certainly a close alternative, given pretty much all these devices are churned out by the board stuffers in Turkey and China anyway. Given that there are very few chipset and firmware makers anyway the expensive boxes tend to have the same issues as the cheap ones.

I'll have a quick trawl of the web to see if there's a current alternative, I'm not sure what uPnP server could easily handle different streams at once,I should think there's something though.
multiroom sound - Pugugly
#
i want to use this to wirelessly listen to itunes in various rooms in my home. What speakers do you recommend and how does this work??

* Asked by KM from Corby

I use the BOSE ® Companion 3 Series II Multimedia Speakers @$249 for the set its in my opinion the best sounding device for this application
I have this set up in the dining room, the base cube is hidden away, and all you see are the little jewel cube speakers and the volume control.
combine this with the itouch and apples remote app and you have eveything you would ever need for a remote audio system that streams music from your PC or Mac
we have a mixed house, PC tower and MacBook Pro both connect to it just fine never a n issue

* Answered by LM from Nashua
* 18-Nov-2009
* Flag as inappropriate

A Q&A pinched from the Apple site.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - drbe
Where would be a good location for a 'bucket and spade' holiday?

Requirements:-
Sandy beach, town or village near to the beach for cafes, alternative activities when wet, availability of houses, flats etc for renting.

South coast of England for preference, Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset best for ease of travel.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - SpamCan61 {P}
Weymouth, Swanage or Bournemouth for starters.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - JH
From Swanage you can keep 'em quiet with a day out on the chuffa to Corfe Castle.

I'd recommend a trip to Brownsea Island too.

JH
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - Alanovich
Add Selsey to your list.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - helicopter
Another vote for Bournemouth or Swanage with another suggestion..

Try Butlins at Bognor Regis - its gone upmarket from the old Butlitz days but plenty to keep the kids occupied.... and parents too.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - Altea Ego
Swanage, great fish and chips too.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - maz64
Try Butlins at Bognor Regis - its gone upmarket from the old Butlitz days

Went there some years ago, and was disappointed in the beach - didn't have to go down very far to reach black mud IIRC. Has that been improved?
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - smokie
Agree with above, Dawlish is also nice but probably a bit further and not so much around in inclement weather.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - daveyjp
I've spent hours on the beach and in the sea at Highcliffe. I still remember dragging the dinghy up and down the steps to the beach.

Plenty to do too. Bovington Tank Museum, Beaulieu Car Museum, Jurassic Coast for fossil hunting, Isle of Wight for a day.

You've not mentioned budget, but if you want well appointed cottages we have never had a bad expereince with Rural Retreats. Not the cheapest, but neither are 5 star hotels.
I've spent hours on the beach and in the sea at Highcliffe. I still remember
dragging the dinghy up and down the steps to the beach.

That's about 10 minutes drive from Spamcan towers :-) I too dragged my dinghy up and down the steps as a kid, although I didn't live here at that time. The only reason I didn't resorts suggest east of Bournemouth is that the beaches tend to be mostly shingle, although there is at least some sand in the Highcliffe / Avon beach area.
The beach at Bognor is OK I believe, not great. Google Images have a few pictures , doesn't look too bad.

The other suggestions I made have the really nice sandy beaches but as it looks as though the OP has probably got young kids then there is no better place to keep the young un's happy than Butlins .

Theres loads to see and do in the area. Arudel is within an easy drive, Fontwell Park and Goodwood if Don is into Horse racing and the South Downs with magnificent walks and views, Britains newest national park.

I was in Bognor last Sunday with SWMBO but did not notice the beach as I was too busy feeding my face in a hotel on the front with a huge plate of fresh whitebait with a delicious home made tartare sauce followed by a beautiful Sunday Roast . Lashings of Pork with brilliant roast spuds and perfect crackling - Yum......
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - Statistical outlier
Not quite where you specified geographically, but the area around Tenby is both spectacular and rich in massive sandy beaches. We had an amazing break in Mediterranean weather staying in Amroth.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - deepwith
Bognor is a shingle beach Helicopter! Like Brighton.

Littlehampton is superb for bucket and spade holidays, has donkeys on the green and a small funfair at one end. Like Weymouth, it has excellent sand for building castles etc. Leisure centre with pools etc at the other end. Town literally five minutes walk from the beach. Lots of accommodation, lots of cafes and used to be a very good cake shop! Short walk over the river Arun to a more secluded beach with Dunes where the children found several fossils - but it used to be a haunt for 'gentlemen' among the dunes ... not sure that is still the case, but was always fine during the day!

30 years ago Camber Sands was rather nice - no idea what it is like now.

Bournemouth (we particularly like Alum Chine), Highcliffe are good - Boscombe now has an artificial surf beach but the beach nearby is good too. Would agree that Swanage is excellent, as is Weymouth.

The Isle of Wight is also superb.

Bucket and Spade Holiday? - Marlinowner
I agree with Swanage (Isle of Purbeck), we used to go there from Oxford. Studland Bay is good for buckets and spades, South or Middle Beach. Can also recomend the boat trips from Wareham and the walk down to Durdle Door. Weather was usually good as well!

Deepwith, I did forget west beach at Littlehampton , I remember in the hot summer of 1976 SWMBO and I used to bunk off work and head for the beach.

It was indeed noted for 'gentlemen' ( I have no personal experience ) but also I remember seeing a regular there whose towel always used to seem to slip accidentally when a young lady passed by....

.....much merriment from SWMBO who wondered why anyone would want to be known as the Littlehampton flasher.....
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - Lud
There's a good beach near there at Climping too. You have to drive past (or is it through?) Ford Open Prison to reach it by road. Plenty of rich gents in there!

Edited by Lud on 25/01/2010 at 16:19

Bucket and Spade Holiday? - wotspur
Whilst Swanage is a major fav with my family - we also love Felpham - nicer than Bognor but ideal for Butlins day visits, as 5 mins walk -lovely beaches, stones but the tide goes out a long way leaving rock pools for hunting for things, nice cafes, golf putting green and a nice pub - The FOX - parking in the road ok if you get there early enough - ASAIK no hotels but holiday homes - we stay at my parents friends house !!
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - drbe
Thank you for those helpful replies.

Just to clarify, the children are quite small - 5 and 3 - so museums would be ok for the growns, but not for the kids.

I think a sandy beach is essential. Steam train rides would be fine and other kids' wet weather activities would be desirable.

The budget isn't a problem, which is why I like the idea of renting a flat or cottage, which gives us somewhere to retreat to on wet days.

Butlins at Bognor wouldn't be impossible - but, is it a sandy beach? Sounds like I need to take a drive one weekend.

I have thought about HF Holidays house at Freshwater Bay on the Isle of Wight, they do special childrens weeks with childrens play leaders. The adults can do the lead walks while the kids do kids things.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - Altea Ego
Nah the beach at Bognor is hopeless. Shingle mainly, I really dont rate Bognor at all. The best beach in that area is west wittering. Nothing else there tho apart from the beach.

Swanage is a great compromise. You have traditional seaside on your doorstep, good beach and sand, train ride, and Bournemouth is not far away.

Edited by Altea Ego on 26/01/2010 at 09:04

Bucket and Spade Holiday? - deepwith
Have a look at the Spit at Hengistbury Head. Beach Houses with facilities which you can sleep in - although I think you still have to use public loos. Nice cafe, brilliant sandy beach. Surrounded by bird sanctuary. Land train to go up and down to the carpark (great fun for the children - quite nice ride for adults) and good road if you take your bikes although a little steep for the little ones in places. Regular ferry over to Mudeford Quay, complete with very good fish mongers on the quay, crabbing and windsurfing/sailing. Most huts have a barbecue too.
We go every year to have dinner with friends who stay a week or so each summer - although we usually leave late enough that we have to walk up to the car!
Land train to go up and down
to the carpark (great fun for the children - quite nice ride for adults)

Apparently the future of the land train is in doubt, I hear the licensing restrictions are becoming much more onerous shortly,and it is unlikely the current train can be updated cost effectively. allegedly.
Bucket and Spade Holiday? - terryb
Sounds like Swanage would be ideal. We now live about 20 miles from there and it's always warm and sunny here!!!!

Would the Kent coast be too far? Resorts like Greatstone on Sea take 50 years off the calendar. Lovely sandy beaches, plus little steam trains on the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch more "friendly" to little people. Went there as kids in the 50s!

HTH
Terryb
Credit card purchases by phone - dimdip
When paying over the phone using a credit / debit card, is it usual to be asked for the 3-digit security code?
Credit card purchases by phone - Clk Sec
Every time in my recent experience.

Clk Sec
Credit card purchases by phone - Statistical outlier
Yes, although you can fox a significant minority by telling them the Amex security code is four digits on the front of the card.
Thanks, so this is normal practice? I was wondering if I'd been taken for a mug. Although they could only use the details to get something sent to the registered address, I expect there are some things this info could be used for online -- music / software downloads?
Credit card purchases by phone - JH
dd, don't worry, what you describe is indeed normal practice, after all you are "proving" that you have the card BUT "Although they could only use the details to get something sent to the registered address" - not so. Some companies operate such a restriction but not all. My wife has twice had her credit card info used and some of the stuff bought was physical "stuff" which would have to be delivered. You'd think that would make it easy to nick 'em but does anyone bother to try? Fortunately the card company was on the ball and notified her of unusual purchases. Didn't cost her a penny, just the nuisance of a new card.

JH
Thanks JH that's good to hear. I'll just pay some extra attention to my statements for a while
Credit card purchases by phone - Nsar
I had £280 lifted off my card in this way in December. I spotted it and got the money back but it took some time to sort it out with my bank.

Credit card purchases by phone - L'escargot
If you haven't already, get internet banking which will allow you to check your balance/statement at any time.
>>get internet banking

Perish the thought...

Clk Sec
>>get internet banking
Perish the thought...

Why do you say that? It works for me. Their websites are secure.
Their websites are secure

If I can find an internet bank that guarantees that my money will be 100% secure, then I might give it a go. Until then I'll stick with my High St branch.

Credit card purchases by phone - rtj70
Asking for the security code is added protection but if someone made of note of the details they could indeed use. Amazon for example will ship to an address other than the credit card one and online digital purchases like eBooks, MP3, etc.

I've purchased a few things on a credit card lately including an eBook from Amazon (Kindle therefore a USA purchase). All have been small purchases. Topping up a PAYG phone yesterday triggered a call from the card company immediately to check the last five transactions were genuine. And the call was automated/computerised.
Credit card purchases by phone - ifithelps
...Their websites are secure....

Theirs might be, but what about others?

When there were some unauthorised, but not internet-related, transactions on my debit card last year, one of the first things the bank asked was: "Do you have a paypal account?"

When there were some unauthorised but not internet-related transactions on my debit card last year
one of the first things the bank asked was: "Do you have a paypal account?"

I always ensure that my current account has the minimum amount in it for my routine needs of that particular month. Money to cater for non-routine needs is transferred into my current account at the last minute.

Edited by L'escargot on 26/01/2010 at 09:31

...I always ensure that my current account has the minimum amount in it for my routine needs of that particular month...

Very wise.

In my case the unauthorised withdrawals came to about £650.

The money was in there, but even if it wasn't, I'm sure the bank would have made the payments on overdraft, authorised or not.

So that's the problem with keeping the minimum in, you may just end up with a fraudulent transaction and a load of charges.

...Non-routine needs are transferred into my current account at the last minute....

Again, very wise.

I have a large transaction to make in the next week or two and I aim to get the money in, and paid out, of my current account on the same day.

Ironically, card payments can help here, rather than using a cheque.

>>I always ensure that my current account has the minimum amount in it for my routine needs of that particular month.

I must admit I have considered maintaining a modest balance in an internet based account just for monthly bills, etc, but no more than that.

>>but no more than that.

It's a shame, though, 'cause I'm missing out on the better interest rates available for instant access.
Credit card purchases by phone - jbif
If I can find an internet bank that guarantees that my money will be 100% secure, then I might give it a go. Until then I'll stick with my High St branch. >>

I use Barclays, HSBC and Nationwide internet accounts for various reasons (helps to keep things tidy and separate). They all have different secure log in procedures, but I like Nationwide's the best. They all give "promises" but with the usual caveat that you will find when using High Street banking, i.e. you should not be careless.
www.nationwide.co.uk/security/how-do-i-stay-safe/

Thanks, jbif.
Credit card purchases by phone - Altea Ego
Which is why, as I reported elsewhere, I use a top up pre pay credit card for remote (read internet or phone) transactions. That way you can only loose as much as you have topped up your card with.
Credit card purchases by phone - Nsar
How does that stop someone from skimming your details in a "normal" transaction? Yes it's a bit harder if you're standing opposite a cashier but there was a lot of discussion here about a year ago about some filling stations in the SE where criminal staff were having a field day with credit cards.

...How does that stop someone from skimming your details in a "normal" transaction?...

It doesn't.

Many retailers - including petrol stations - now have chip and pin machines facing the customer - only you handle your card, and it doesn't go out of your sight.

I think this method is fairly safe provided you only put the card in once and the transaction proceeds smoothly.

Having said that, I use cash more than I used to because there is a risk each time you swipe the card.

Also means my monthly bank statement is not cluttered with small transactions, making it easier to spot a wrong 'un.

Edited by ifithelps on 26/01/2010 at 11:58

The filling station scam that caught me was a video camera with long lens focused on the Chip 'n' Pin keypad via a mirrored panel in the ceiling. Cash is definitely a good idea in urban areas
>>The filling station scam

It's cash when I fill up, unless I'm in Sainsbury's, Tesco's or one of the others.

Credit card purchases by phone - Alanovich
And you get that cash from......................a cash point which can also be rigged to nick your details.

I don't know why everyone worries about cards so much. If your card gets scammed, the bank are liable provided you haven't been reckless with it. If you get mugged then your cash is gone and the bank certainly won't give it back to you.

I'm sticking with cards, thanks. I don't know anyone who has been scammed and the bank hasn't made good instantly. I do know a lot of people who have been mugged and lost a fair bit of cash. I carry as little cash as possible, which has paid off when I had my pocket picked once. Cards cancelled immediately, with no loss. Lost a small amount of cash (10 quid or so).
>>And you get that cash from......................a cash point...

No.
Credit card purchases by phone - Alanovich
Then you have time during working hours to go and queue up in a bank for it, or get paid for your work/pension/whatever you use for income cash in hand.

Not the case for most of us.

But anyway, still don't see why anyone is so scared of card fraud. No individual bank customer ever loses out in a genuine case of card fraud. Happened to a bloke in my office last week. Noticed a 500 pound transaction at a high street electrical retailer which he knew he hadn't made. Called the bank. Phone monkey said: "Yes, we know about this scam, you're not alone", and made good his account there and then, card cancelled and new one issued. Get mugged for 500 pounds cash and that money's gorn.
>>But anyway, still don't see why anyone is so scared of card fraud.

I use my credit card for almost everything I buy, but I do not use it in certain filling stations.

Get mugged for 500 pounds cash and that money's gorn.

Wouldn't dream of having that much in my wallet, but no chance of getting mugged at the cashpoint, then?

Clk Sec
.......... no chance of getting mugged
at the cashpoint then?

I get cash either in the form of cash-back from a supermarket or from a cashier inside the bank. I never need to use a cashpoint.
Credit card purchases by phone - turbo11
I never carry cash.I suppose it's just a habit I have got into over the last decade.Living in the sticks there is cash machine close to hand and certainly don't have time during a short grabbed lunch break.
I had one of my credit cards scammed last year.The details were taken from a company trading on a well known online auction site and a clone of my card was used in Ireland.. I only use this particular card for internet purchases and the bank picked up the fraud before I had even noticed. The money from the fraud was instantly refunded to my card.
...Their websites are secure....
Theirs might be but what about others?

I check my account online daily. I would know about any discrepancy (and take the appropriate action) within a few hours of it occurring.
>>I check my account online daily. I would know about any discrepancy (and take the appropriate action) within a few hours of it occurring.

I thought retirement was all about an easy, carefree life!

Clk Sec :-)
I thought retirement was all about an easy carefree life!

Knowing first thing in the morning that my bank account is in order gives me peace of mind for the rest of the day.
Credit card purchases by phone - 1400ted
I check mine every day, both current acc. and credit card. ( same bank )
Easy to do and keeps you inj the know. It's mainly to let me know what's gone in as my pittance comes from various sources.
I pay the majority of bills by On-line, usually on the day they drop through the door.
If I need cash, it's usually about £20 pocket money and I go into the bank or Post office for that..

Ted
Credit card purchases by phone - Stuartli
>>Until then I'll stick with my High St branch.>>

I have several on-line financial accounts and have made thousands of transactions, purchases etc over many years without any setbacks.

You get the same protection when buying goods (probably more if you include the Distance Selling Regulations) from your card company as if you have been to a shop.
>>Until then I'll stick with my High St branch.>>

I'm solely referring to Banking there, Stuart.

We buy a lot goods on-line and have found the service excellent, and without any credit card problems.
Credit card purchases by phone - bell boy
im not tempting fate so wont comment on buying by tinternet
However if you have a santander account then you can always use your post office to remove large wads of cash and there are still plenty about well after the banks have all shut
just use the pin machine at cashier no2 please and tell them what you want (dont wear a crash helmet though or you might get into trouble)
PS you could do this as you draw t pension
Mobile phone internet - deepwith
Probably one for Rattle. Daughter gave me her old Nokia N95 when she upgraded to an iphone. This all singing and all dancing phone has been fine until yesterday, when each time I tried to look at any internet site, it responded with "No Gateway reply". Tonight we went to the pub, where it quite happily connected using their wifi. Home again, same problem.
Have rebooted it, and our router, and been through all the sections I can find on the phone with no joy.
Might seem pointless while I have my laptop, but at the moment I am sharing it with three other people .... and apparently my need is less than theirs :-)
Any ideas?
Mobile phone internet - Rattle
Not that familier with the N95 as its quite an old phone now (I use still using cheapo ones back then) but does it ask you to select a connection when you go on the net? My N85 for example asks me to choose between WIFI and Contract internet.

I suspect what is happening though is you have a different SIM card and the access points have no changed. When you try and go on the net the settings belong to your daughters SIM card and not yours. Even if it is the same network settings can dither between PAY AS YOU GO and contract.

Mobile phone internet - deepwith
lol to Nsar

Rattle, the N95 has WLAN as well as the SIM LIVE internet connection. For a couple of weeks, I have been happily using my (PAYG) SIM + WLAN (connecting to our WIFI), which means it is free connection. If I use the Vodaphone connection, then I have to pay. Don't mind doing that while out and about, but object while at home!

It says WLAN found - gives the name of our WIFI, says it is "connecting via XXX", then says it cannot gain a gateway.

Daughter used phone in London mainly and here when visiting - when it worked fine.
Mobile phone internet - smokie
lmgtfy.com/?q=nokia+n95+no+gateway

First entry looks promising :-)

Edited by smokie on 27/01/2010 at 08:58

Mobile phone internet - Nsar
Go back to the pub?
Ski Wear For Teenager - M.M
15yr old daughter off to Austria on school ski trip in March. Need to get her a set of ski wear (skis, boots and helmet taken care of by school).

The list of the main items says jacket, sallopetts, goggles, gloves, thermal under layers, fleece, tube socks, casual wear boots.

Sallopettes seem to be padded bib & brace type things but most suppliers are now doing more like ordinary trousers... are these an OK substitute?

Any thoughts or helpful advice on what to buy appreciated.... value brands, do's/do not's in general etc.

BTW this is likely a one and only trip for her so nothing very high price will be bought... may even give ebay a look.

Edited by M.M on 27/01/2010 at 10:38

Ski Wear For Teenager - Alby Back
Try to find sallopettes if you can. The reality is (if she is inexperienced) she will spend a fair amount of time falling over initially. The longer body of the sloppies will keep her drier. Choose other items which dry quickly so "nylon" as opposed to woolly. Two sets of gloves, they are always wet otherwise. Layering is the key. She can always take an unwanted jumper off and tie it around her waist. Plenty of socks and make sure they are proper boot socks, long enough to reach above the height of the shaft of her ski boots or rubbing can set in. Goggles are good if the temperatures are very low but some prefer sports sunglasses, just make sure they are shatterproof and put them on a cord. Don't forget a warm hat. The helmet will come off when not skiing and a hat will be useful. Oh and money....... ;-)

Sometimes Aldi have a good selection of ski wear and accessories at reasonable prices. Millets worth a look too.
Ski Wear For Teenager - FotheringtonThomas
Sometimes Aldi have a good selection of ski wear and accessories

Lidl had theirs at the end of November - they still had some helmets last week. The Boy has a skiing jacket and trousers, which were excellent in the snow, the trousers having adjustable braces and inside bits that go over (or under) the wellies.
Ski Wear For Teenager - bathtub tom
Can't you hire this stuff before you go, or even when you get there?

Perhaps the best option as it seems to be a one-off and it's for a growing teenager.
Ski Wear For Teenager - maz64
Millets worth a look too.

Millets in Bath currently selling adult ski wear including sallopettes and jackets at reduced prices - bought a pair of sallopettes for £30 reduced from £100 for our Finnish trip on Friday. Jackets reduced from £100 to £50 and felt very warm when I tried one on. Not sure what they've got for youngsters.

Edited by Focus {P} on 27/01/2010 at 12:13

Ski Wear For Teenager - Alanovich
Hey Focus, my missus is in Finland today. -22 deg C according to a text I just received........

brrrrrrrrr.
Hope she's got a 4x4. Be dodgy without one.....
;-)
No need, they clear the roads properly over there. ;-)

And don't start me on 4x4s, when we were snowed in recently she kept seeing a Citroen C-Crosser creeping in and out of our Close - the only resident who was attempting it. Since then she's going all dewy eyed over them. Gah. Hopefully, it will all be a distant memory when it comes to new car time. I'm staying schtum for the moment and will be campaigning for a Legacy when the time comes. It's got 4 wheel drive, dear..........
Matter of time AV. She'll wear you down. Heh heh.....

;-)
Hey Focus my missus is in Finland today. -22 deg C according to a text
I just received........

Good - for us that is; I've paid a small fortune for 2 full days over there so if it's not at least -20 I want my money back :-)

Actually I've been checking the forecast on here:
www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Ivalo/forecasts...t
and I'm a bit worried that according them the min temp today (morning/afternoon) is -7. Doesn't look like I should be relying on it :-(
Mrs A is in Hellstinki, I think that's a fair way from where you're going Focus, isn't it?
Mrs A is in Hellstinki I think that's a fair way from where you're going
Focus isn't it?

Ah, ok - Ivalo where we're going is right oop north (more chance of northern lights hopefully), and the forecast for Helsinki wherever that is is given as -17, which is closer to your on-the-spot report. Wasn't expecting such a wide variation.

I know it felt pretty chilly cycling into Reading at 7 this morning, and that was only just below freezing I think!
Ski Wear For Teenager - M.M
Thanks for advice guys. Worth noting that the hire option is available via college but the prices are almost as much as crafty buying will get us and she is not keen on being photographed on the holiday of a lifetime in used black clothing.
Ski Wear For Teenager - Group B
Theres a limited selection on here, dirt cheap at the moment, but possibly selling out fast:
www.mandmdirect.com/default.asp?a=resetsearch
I've just bought a really good spec. jacket for £109, RRP was originally £240.

This is another site I have used for thermal baselayers:
www.simplypiste.com/

And also Amazon.co.uk seems to have some good priced items at present. I didnt realise they did clothes until last week.

Look for good waterproof and breathability ratings for the outer layers, I checked manufacturers websites as the online shops do not always list the technical details.

Edited by Group B on 27/01/2010 at 15:43

Velux Windows - Pugugly
I have two of these - rather large ponderous items - the sealed glazed units have failed on them - allowing condensation on the inside -

1. Are the glazed units replacable ?

2. Can the existing units be fixed locally or do I need to speak to Velux

Ta
Velux Windows - Clk Sec
This company replaced a large unit for me last year. Not sure about Velux, though.

tinyurl.com/ykc89zt

It might be worth giving them a ring.

Clk Sec
Velux Windows - 1400ted
Can I share this one with you Pug ? I have a large Velux and you can hardly see through it now. It also has ' catching ' problems.
I'm considering getting a dormer fitted in it's place with two normal windows.
If the Velux is open, it intrudes considerably into the room....even one of the ' hinged at the top ' type of unit would be better.

Ted
Velux Windows - FotheringtonThomas
1. Are the glazed units replacable ?
2. Can the existing units be fixed locally or do I need to speak to Velux

1) Yes.
2) Yes. No.

Find a local glazier, not part of Jewson's or B&Q or whoever. You could possibly even DIY it.

These units tend to fail prematurely, especially in timber frames, due to poor or incorrect fitting. They should have a gap around the perimiter (between the glass and frame), and be supported all around by plastic spacers, and no part of either leaf of the unit should push up edgewise against anything hard, or be immovably fixed with hard compounds like epoxy/putty/WHY.
Coppers made of steel now! - Lud
My wife found a 1p coin - two in fact - stuck to the small magnet the cat wears round its neck to open its hightech foxproof cat door.

We tried other coins with another magnet. 'Silver' is still non-magnetic. But sure enough, today's coppers are magnetic, to my utter amazement. They can't be steel plated with copper because the copper would scratch or wear off, so they must be copper-coloured all the way through. What on earth are they made of?

When I were a nipper, old half-crowns still had a large silver content and the very large coppers were made of copper. Even a far-thing was a bit bigger than a 1p piece today. English money was notorious for wearing out your trouser pockets. But it seemed more serious than despicable little aluminium francs and so forth on the continent.

All things pass though.
Coppers made of steel now! - turbo11
I remember reading that the copper content in 1p and 2p coins has been reduced,because of the rapid increse in the cost of raw matrials, in particular scrap metal.
The amount of copper in them became much more valuable than the face value of the coins, so their copper content was reduced.
Coppers made of steel now! - FotheringtonThomas
The amount of copper in (coins) became much more valuable than the face value of
the coins so their copper content was reduced.

The scrap value of the bronze is greater than the face value of the coin, yes - however, you won't get rich scrapping bronze coins (& it's illegal to deface our currency (e.g. by melting it) in the UK).
Coppers made of steel now! - FotheringtonThomas
They can't be steel plated with copper because the copper would scratch or wear off

But they are!
so they must be copper-coloured all the way through. What on earth are they made of?

Copper plated steel.

When I were a nipper old half-crowns still had a large silver content and the
very large coppers were made of copper.

They werere made of bronze, actually, like older "New Pence" "coppers". Florins were made of Sterling silver IIRC.
Coppers made of steel now! - old crocks
Made of copper plated steel since 1992.
www.royalmint.com/Corporate/facts/coins/1pCoin.aspx
Well, blow me down.

I suppose they must withdraw them before they get worn. I've never seen one with mild steel highlights.

Tsk. No use clipping those then.
Coppers made of steel now! - Pugugly
You could use the moggie to supplement your income ?
Coppers made of steel now! - Alby Back
That's a good idea PU. Get it a big enough magnet and the possibilities are endless.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 27/01/2010 at 17:18

'Heh heh. The tiger's just come back dragging a Citroen Light Fifteen...'
Coppers made of steel now! - old crocks
Don't let him near a breaker's yard. You know what their cranes will do to him. ;-)