What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - stunorthants26
In the next 3 months or so Im planning on changing my front tyres - they are down to 3mm and will prob last the year, but I dont want to hit next winter with marginal tyres, so Im turning my mind to what boots to stick on it.

I am not a tyre guy, usually I simply slap on a pair of budgets for £35 a corner and that is if I ever keep a car long enough to need to change them. However, having read so much about getting quality tyres and how they are worth the extra, I thought id see whats out there an maybe spend a bit more.
So, anyone got any recommenations for the latest econmentalist tyres that might come in 13's?
Something that are reasonable in winter would be good too.

I bow to your greater knowledge :-)
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - bathtub tom
My current car had it's original Dunlops when I bought it (I wouldn't touch them or SP's with a barge pole), however it's economy was better then than now I've got Coopers on the front and Matadors on the rear.

Previous car had Michelin low rolling resistance and I replaced with the same as the price was competitive.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - CGNorwich
"they are down to 3mm and will prob last the year"

What sort of mileage do you do Stu? 1mm or so of front tyre wear per annum is pretty minimal.
I do about 18k a year. The current set had 5mm down on the MOT sheet not long after I bought it with 25k on the clock. It now has 49k.
Forgot to say it currently had Hankook Optimos all round.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - CGNorwich

Since you are achieving around 100,000 miles per tyre I'd stick with whatever you have on at the moment!
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - legacylad
When I came to change I asked my tyre fitter, whom I have used for 20+ years, this question (and others, just in case!) and was recommended Michelin Energy's. My 2.0 petrol 626 returns about 38mpg, albeit with little town driving and I do not hang around. This was definitely a 10% improvement on the Michelin Primacys which were on the car when I bought it. Last month I changed the fronts/rears around and balanced, and after 10k miles the rears were still like new.
legacylad, whats the grip like and price of the Energy's compared to others you looked at?

I was reading reviews online and it seems to vary wildly depending on what you fit them to with the Energys and the Continental Ecos.

I keep bringing up Pirelli P3000s - anyone have any experience of these?
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - tyro
According to ADAC's tyre tests, Michelin Energy Saver is about the best tyre you can get for rolling resistance. It is also very hard wearing. It's not the best tyre for grip in the wet though.

>>Something that are reasonable in winter would be good too.

I reckon that one summer tyre is probably as good in winter as another. If you are serious about getting something that is good in the winter, get winter or all-season tyres. If you want a winter tyre that has good rolling resistance, try Michelin Alpin - it is also pretty hard wearing.
Thanks tyro, id never heard of Michelin Alpin, I will look them up!
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - oldtoffee
Vredestein Quatrac 3 - decent quality all season tyre that will outperform summer tyres in the wet and snow can be sourced at around £37 each from Camskill or other web suppliers. I have them on my Focus, they replaced Michelin Energy Savers and are far more comfy and quiet - they'll probably wear out a bit quicker but to me that's not a big issue.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - gordonbennet
Vredestein Quatrac 3 -

+1

If you put new on the front don't tell, you'll hear the fingers wagging.;)
Yes ive been reading about the logic surrounding rotating tyres, gosh this car ownership stuff is complicated!
Im having trouble finding 13's for some tyres mentioned so that looks like it will be the limiting factor.
Im having trouble finding 13's for some tyres mentioned so that looks like it will
be the limiting factor.

>>
My daughters got Quatrac 2's (all seasons) on the 106 Stu, wouldn't be surprised if they're the same size...been good tyres too considering her appalling treatment of them.
>>Vredestein Quatrac 3

In the 2008 ADAC test of 195/65 R15 winter and all season tyres, (tinyurl.com/yzkmd9h) Vredestein Quatrac 3 was one of the poorest wearing tyres, and was the worst for rolling resistance by a considerable measure.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - Clanger
According to ADAC's tyre tests Michelin Energy Saver is about the best tyre you can
get for rolling resistance. It is also very hard wearing. It's not the best tyre
for grip in the wet though.
>>Something that are reasonable in winter would be good too.

We use Michelin Energys (Energies?) on Mrs H's C3. It's had 4 tyres in 80K miles. Grip is satisfactory in the wet but indifferent in the snow. This is strictly subjective; no other type of tyre has been fitted to our car. I would buy them again if we were sure we were keeping the car.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - piston power
It would be a bonus if you could tell us the tyre size 13's is only a part of it.

Lots of internet companies available rather than the likes of Kwik fit etc.

www.blackcircles.com/ try these.............

Edited by bigtee on 16/01/2010 at 00:14

Sorry :-) 155/65T13
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - piston power
www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search

A quick search finds loads of tyres these are fitted prices you just put in your postcode for the nearest fitting centre.

But do shop around you may find a better deal.!
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - oilrag
Not keen on P 3000`s (or Pirelli) found they wore out quicker that expected - although that is a few years ago now. Had them on at least three new cars though.

I have Hancook reinforced on one Punto and Firestone F560`s on the other. I nearly put the Hancook equipped car off the road at a greasy RB - not used to driving it (wifes car)

That said, the Hancooks last forever. But the Firestones are ridiculously cheap at Etyres (fitted on the drive) and are a good choice for the Mk2b.
I just picked up a couple of that size in Hertford for £15 apiece. See my thread on tyre markings.

Do you want to save money on fuel with low rolling resistance, or on the purchase price?
Trouble with low rolling resistance is many reports of poor grip especially in the wet which makes sense, and Stu did want something with a bit of grip for next winter thrown in to the bargain.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - perro
I need 4 new boots on my Almera, I'll probably go for the Yokohama A Drive's as they seem to be a good all round (hehe) tyre ~ www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp
Be careful Perro.

If you've got the alloys then, IIRC, they're 195/55x16.

I found there's not a lot of choice and many places assumed they're run-flats as used by Mercedes.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - perro
>>> If you've got the alloys then, IIRC, they're 195/55x16. <<<

That's interesting tom ... mine are 185/65/R15/88H on metal rims, I've looked at all makes of tyre and I'll probably go for the Yoko's - £55 ea. from Blackcircles.
>>mine are 185/65/R15/88H on metal rims

Yup. I've got one of them in the boot!
Well, I wanted low-resistance tyres mainly because my car is pretty much an economy car and I dont drive it fast round the bends, but something that is decent in the wet would be a bonus - I only know the tyres that I have and I wondered if there was anything which would be an upgrade.

Currently I do get 56-58 mpg with the current tyres which is spot on for the car economywise.
Im willing to spend up to maybe £50 a corner if the tyres are worth it.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - legacylad
Stunorthants26
I spent a whisker under £300 for a full set of Michelin Energy 195/60 R15. Included fitting & balancing of course.
Grip is ok...I like to make progress where possible and they are lasting very very well. I cannot compare grip/noise with other tyres but I am pleased with them and definitely think I made the right decision when buying them. I could of course have bought a cheaper brand but was happy to spend £300 in the grand scheme of things.
And averaging 38mpg from a 2.0 134bhp petrol 626 is I think excellent.

Edited by legacylad on 16/01/2010 at 14:21

I had a look around for the Energys and couldnt find them in 13's unfortunatly.
I had a look around for the Energys and couldn't find them in 13's unfortunately.

I must confess that I doubted you, but I had a quick look on the internet, and it looks like Michelin don't make any 155/65T13 tyres. Interesting.

(They do, however make 165/65T13s, which is what my Ford Ka uses)
Well ive got my tyres coming ( my indie didnt stock them but they arrive Monday ).

In the end, I went for Pirelli P3000s. I have read many good reviews on these tyres ( and a couple of bad ones ) so on balance, for £50 a corner, they seemed a good choice - I kept reading they are very good in the wet and have are low resistance but are not exclusively eco tyres so not as much of a compromise as genuine eco types.
I could have gone for budgets which would have worked out at £33 a corner fitted, so Im hoping I dont regret buying 'real' tyres!

This is the first time in nearly 13 years of driving that ive done enough miles in a car to need a new set of tyres, so its actually a new experience!

I was finally kicked into action as going up a moderate slope in a village my car was wheelspinning in 3rd at 25 mph after one fo the flash snow flurries - it felt very skittish and I dont much fancy trying my luck anymore with these tyres, they have had their day.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - BigJohnD
Most Michelins seem to pruduce a reduction in fuel consumption and good longevity, though my current Exaltos are outrageously expensive way to achieve such gains.

I always find tyre comparisons to have a high degree of subjectivity, as not every one wants the same from their tyres, and the final choice is always a compromise with the wallet usually wining out.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - Cliff Pope
Surely for good grip you want high resistance, not low? The ultimate in low resistance would be bald tyres on sheet ice :)
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - ForumNeedsModerating
Totally agree CP.

In the specious attempt to save a few bob on the most vital interface on a vehicle i.e. the grip between road & tyre, this Alice-in-Wonderland concept of 'low-rolling resistance tyres' was dreamt up.

Within sensible limits, I want the highest possible grip on my tyres, not compromised designs based upon miserly & illogical technical & marketing concepts.

What next? Low resistance flak-jackets, chocolate tea-pots, caffeine-free coffee (oops, no that whiz has been done already).

There are two parts to the 'low-resistance' idea it seems: reduce friction between rubber & road & decrease sidewall flex; both, whatever anyone might say, must compromise the fundamental function of the tyre in providing friction & following road contour/modulating tyre rebound damping.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - Lygonos
Rolling resistance is not synonymous with grip.

As Woodbines says, much of the rolling resistance is energy wasted as heat flexing the sidewalls as the tyre rotates, rather than the effect of the rubber-tarmac contact patch.

Tread pattern is a factor also, eg. chunky 4x4 treads create more rolling resistance than the finer treads of a road tyre - the road tyre will perform better on road (unless snow/mud/etc).

As is everything on a car, tyres are a compromise - it is possible to make tyres with good grip and good rolling resistance. It's probably just more expensive ;-)
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - George Porge
Tyre companys have always had a range of tyres in certain sizes, from comfort to sport, there wasn't all this huffing and puffing then, you wouldn't compare a Porsche with a Punto.

tinyurl.com/md2uff

The basic tyre construction and materials are the same, the only difference is the tread rubber mix
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - OmNo
As a general rule my experience of the Michelin Energy is very good.
Long lasting, good in the wet and dry and low rolling resistance.
For bigger sizes use the pilot.
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - sandy56
Just a general comment, do people still swap their tyres round after a year or so?
why?
You can end up having to replace all four at the same time instead of just two.
Never swapped tyres around in 40 years of motoring, just buy good quality tyres when you need them.
>>Surely for good grip you want high resistance, not low?<<

No, I want tyres that give a substantial nod towards good economy, but with reasonable wet-weather capabilities. I dont do particularily hard cornering so a massively grippy tyre is totally lost on me. I want something that has a balance of values.

The Hankook Optimos that are on the car atm have adequate grip for my needs but are also hard-wearing in my hands ( 50k from front tyres on a FWD car is more than decent I think ).
However, I want a change and it is essentially an economy car, with tall gearing, which logically would be best suited to lower resistance tyres, especially taking into account the little engine which needs all the help it can get going up hills in higher gears.

I experimented with 38 psi all round for a week and it made a massive difference to the 4th/5th gear performance ( I have them at 30/34 anyway as I carry all my valeting kit most of the time ).

Im hoping these new tyres also help - I will report in when I have a feel for them!
Low-resistance tyre recommendations? - Carl2
Can you have grip and low resistance?
Yes. There are choices in the middle ground and you can choose the balance you want. Thats why there is more than one make of tyre.