What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 331 [Read only] - Dynamic Dave
***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 332 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 331. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Pugugly on 14/12/2009 at 20:53

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - L'escargot
"A historic is more common in online writing, but both usages are sufficiently common to be considered correct."

www.betterwritingskills.com/tip-w005.html
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Altea Ego
So how do we describe the pedentry displayed on here about grammer and pronunciation?

Istoric or Historic.

Personally I prefer Histeric (al)
Definately!
;-)
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Lud
What about an hotel?

I always thought an intruded H at the beginning of a word starting with a vowel was an individual thing rather than regional, but on coming to London discovered that it is a common mannerism among people from Jamaica (but only Jamaica, not the other Caribbean islands).

Hengland is a hevil place man!
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Pugugly
French word though - silent H !
But hanglicised by most people with a haudible haspirate...
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - bathtub tom
That's what my old (she was quite young and tasty back in '65) 'O' level English language teacher taught us. Hotel is a French word with a silent H and is therefore pronounce "an 'otel" with an inverted 'v' over the 'O' (whatever French accent that is).

She also used to drum into us "There is only one aitch in aitch" in her best Lady Bracknell voice.
an inverted 'v' over the 'O'

It's called a circumflex. An official, modernising attempt was made to abolish it a few years ago, but my guess is that proper red-blooded frogs continue to use it, as I do.
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Old Navy
How do you lot pronounce "boring"?

'A bit too detailed for some of the weaker sisters'

:o}
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - helicopter
Lud :-

- 40 years ago I did French 'A' Level ... My recollection is a bit murky but my understanding of the use of the circumflex in the French language was that it signified the omission of an 'S' after the letter over which the circumflex was placed.

Thus ' l'hotel ' with a circumflex over the 'o' was originally in fact 'l' hostel'

The verb 'etre' ( 'to be' in English ) normally shown with the circumflex over the 'e' therefore becomes 'estre ' which manifests itself when declining the verb in the second and third person singular as 'tu es ' ( you are ) and 'il est'( he , she or it is )

I never thought I'd be trotting out that seemingly worthless information on a motoring forum .

I reckon its worth a virtual pint to anyone who can work out how to put a proper circumflex onto a post.....
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - old crocks
...how to put a proper circumflex onto a post.....

I'd just nail it.
ô
OK - virtual pint on the way to Pugugly Towers....

.....But can any one who is not a moderator do it?

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - jbif
ô

www.frenchentree.com/french-language-learn/Display...6

helicopter - I donate my pint to you.

Edited by jbif on 03/12/2009 at 14:34

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - ifithelps
..helicopter - I donate my pint to you...

Just don't jump into that chopper of yours too soon after drinking it. :)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=80...4

and

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=80...5

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Clk Sec
tinyurl.com/yb3d8tr

Clk Sec
Ah - but.....if you cut and paste I can do that.

ô - thats the easy way

Has anybody managed it without cut and paste?

I try the Alt plus numbers way and all I get is an acute accent - Is it me or the keyboard?

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - rtj70
On MacOS X, you can get a circumflex for example by pressing Option Key (also referred to as ALT) plus I and then release then and hit the vowel, so I did this to get ô or û.

On Windows the easiest way is probably to use the Character Map tool, from Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and choose Character Map. There are other methods.

EDIT: I delayed finishing this so my post was later than the other suggestions. The Apple way is pretty straight forward. But no good for Welsh I find because it does not allow a circumflex on a w - and neither does this site it seems.

Edited by rtj70 on 03/12/2009 at 15:56

۞Ằ Ô

Thats very interesting - thanks rtj 70 ( and the others who assisted )

I would get a virtual round in but I'm virtually flying in the morning..........
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Dipstick
"Â ۞Ằ Ô.

I would get a virtual round in but I'm virtually flying in the morning.........."

Given that post, it looks as if you are already virtually drunk.
ALT 147
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - rtj70
But some accented characters are not being displayed on this website due to the character set used. Hence the strange string in helicopter post above.

Edited by rtj70 on 03/12/2009 at 17:23

I use Character Map, thus ê
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Clk Sec
Alt + numbers works for me.

û

Clk Sec
i like get the feeling that like english language isn't learned in school any more, yeah, innit.

Edited by L'escargot on 02/12/2009 at 14:59

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - JH
Whatever

I'm with O.N. :-)
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - ifithelps

In this thread: "Old Navy."

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - drbe
So how do we describe the "pedentry" displayed on here about grammer and pronunciation?

What about spelling?

Or are you an agent provocateur?
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Old Navy
Or are you an agent provocateur?

>>
AE trying to wind people up? Never happen. :-)
Amusing script - Lud
AE, and anyone else who knows the plot of Shakespeare's tragedy Hamlet: Google The Skinhead Hamlet and read it. It's very short and had me rolling about with laughter. The BR swear filter wouldn't like it though.
Amusing script - Martin Devon
Too many Fuffs. Over the top to be funny. Bit like Derek and Clive.

M
Amusing script - Lud
Sorry you're too grown-up for it MD. Had me in stitches the first time I saw it. It compresses every bit of the plot into three double-spaced pages.

I hope you didn't miss the editors' note at the beginning, saying they had sought the same sort of effect as the New English Bible?
>> So how do we describe the "pedentry" displayed on here about grammer and pronunciation? >> >> >> >> >> What about spelling? >>

Or are you an agent provocateur? >>

Non sequitur nonsensical secateurs. >8 snip snip snip 8<

Edited by jbif on 03/12/2009 at 08:57

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - sierraman
So how do we describe the pedentry displayed on here about grammer and pronunciation?

Er,would that be grammar? :)
Definitive answer today - from an English Teacher friend - " 'istoric " is a valid pronunciation as it is a word of French origin (Histoire) and the H would be silent and it was probably an affectation by Huw - but nonetheless not incorrect.
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Alby Back
They've gorran ippopotamus at Chester Zoo....
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - perro
>>>They've gorran ippopotamus <<<

I used to own an house there - Gorran, near Mevagissey!
Thats gorran 'aven to you

(spent a very wet week there once, never seen so much rain)
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - perro
>>> (spent a very wet week there once, never seen so much rain) <<<

Well comrade, that's a dry area (for Cornwall) known as the Roseland Peninsular (start of) there's a mighty fine beach near to the aven called Vault beach, where I used to take my spiney bifidi mutt.
First Scouser: How d'you spell 'worral'?

Second S: No such wared.

1st S: Yes, you know, as in 'My brother's done something worral get him in trouble'.

2nd S: Dat's not 'Worral'. Dat's 'darrell'.
> nonetheless not incorrect

you what? if you meant to say "correct" then say so.
Sorry AE, years of talking in riddles an charging for it.
Sorry AE, years of talking in riddles an charging for it.

Don't let him browbeat you PU. There is a solid difference of nuance between 'not incorrect' and 'correct'. That's not a riddle, it's a difference of that much-ignored and much-derided thing, meaning.
"Not incorrect" is a weak and unsure term and means the author of such a phrase is weasel minded and not to be trusted.

"Correct" is bold and decisive, the author is an authority. Not to be triffled with

Is that what you mean Lud?
Is that what you mean Lud?

No. 'Correct' is primary, positive. If believed, it suggests that there is no argument. 'Not incorrect' is less positive. It might describe a second choice, or something that might escape the attention of the, er, inattentive. It suggests that those of very direct and simple perceptions might see whatever it is as incorrect, but that they would be wrong.

Capisce?

Tsk.
Capisce?
Tsk.

No lud you are wrong. Its the language of Uriah Heep. Slimey and handwringing.
language of Uriah Heep. Slimey and handwringing.

Just language young man. Not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Of course one of the meanings of 'not incorrect' - the main one indeed - is 'correct'. But it would take a much dumber man than you to insist that that was the only possible meaning. I hope I don't presume.

Lud,

I was humoring him somewhat - I know what I meant and the phrase is correct usage despite the double negative.

He's been working in binary codes too long.

Some people find the difference between illegal and unlawful - a subtle but very different concept.

AE has said in the past that the exact use of language isn't important, or unimportant (again two different meanings) - it was in my line of work, may not be in his...:-)

I do take exception to the untrustworthy comment though - how would he know eh ?

Edited by Pugugly on 08/12/2009 at 22:22

I do take exception to the untrustworthy comment though - how would he know eh
?

Your a solicitor! of course you cant be trusted!

It's refreshing (is it not?) to get lessons in English from a man who does not know the difference between "it's" and "its", "you're" and "your", and "loose" and "lose".

Edited by jbif on 08/12/2009 at 23:50

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - maz64
It's refreshing (is it not?) to get lessons in English from a man who does
not know the difference between "it's" and "its" "you're" and "your" and "loose" and "lose".

I don't know about you jbif but I often find there's a big difference between what I know and what I type :-)
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 331) - jbif
Re: Focus's post
Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Focus {P} Wed 9 Dec 09 07:22 >>
I don't know about you jbif but I often find there's a big difference between what I know and what I type :-) >>

Do you mean typos? Yes, of course, you are right and to err is human.

However, if the same spelling has been used by a contributor in scores of previous posts, is it then safe to assume that the author really does not know the correct spelling? For example, there are some contributors (all self proclaimed IT experts) who consistently make the same spelling mistakes (e.g. "loose" instead of "lose"). Perhaps their IT training tells them that paying attention to detail does not matter; as Bill Gates et.al. have proved, there is money to be made in cleaning up the mess after selling products inherently full of "bugs".

For example, a search the forum for words "independant" or "loose" or "dealer principle" or "definate" should reveal how often these "typos" occur. I suppose the excuse that "grammar and spelling does not matter as long as your audience get the meaning" has now been accepted as a norm by a population that has been through the modern "comprehensive" education system.

"It's refreshing (is it not?) to get lessons in English from a man who does not know the difference between "it's" and "its", "you're" and "your", and "loose" and "lose"."

He no's it pricks the bubbles of the more pompous inhabitants of this site. Those who cant right anything, but mereley cut and paste, for example.

Pronunciation (continued from IHAQ 330) - Avant
"Some people find the difference between illegal and unlawful - a subtle but very different concept."

Not sure about subtle - unlawful is against the law; illegal is a sick buzzard.
Reykjavik - worth a visit? - maz64
Having carefully selected and booked a holiday for my wife's 50th birthday present, it got canceled (deposit refunded), so I'm now looking again.

Two things she wants are to stay in a snow/ice hotel and to see the Northern Lights. But there's what looks like a good holiday which involves staying in a hotel in Reykjavik - no ice beds, but at least you can explore the city. The ice hotels I've seen in other holidays appear to be a bit isolated, and the Swedish ICEHOTEL (their caps) looks a bit touristy.

So what's Reykjavik like as a place to stay, for 3 nights in late Jan/early Feb? Trip also includes a trip to the Blue Lagoon (geothermal) and a Northern Lights 'safari' (plus geysers, oldest parliament building).
Reykjavik - worth a visit? - Happy Blue!
Alternative is a trip on the Hurtigruten line which is the boats which sail up and down the Norweigian coast every day of the year. We are doing it in February and should see the northern lights (we start at Tromso and go south). You can combine the boat with an ice hotel as well.

website is hurtigruten.co.uk

Alternative is a trip on the Hurtigruten line which is the boats which sail up
and down the Norweigian coast every day of the year.

That was what I had booked, but was canceled :-(

Not wanting to scare you but I would double-check that yours is ok.
Reykjavik - worth a visit? - Alby Back
Focus, stating the obvious I know but do be aware that there won't be a lot of daylight that far north at that time of year.
Focus stating the obvious I know but do be aware that there won't be a
lot of daylight that far north at that time of year.

Thanks Humph - I hadn't really thought about it, but as my wife's number 1 priority is seeing the Northern Lights it shouldn't be a problem.

Actually last night we discussed the options - Northern Lights + Reykjavik or Northern Lights + ice hotel, and she's not keen on the Reykjavik one. So ice hotel it is.
Reykjavik - worth a visit? - Jane
Absolutely! I went to Iceland for a week in the middle of October. (several days in Reykjavik and the rest circumnavigating the island in a Fiesta with studded tyres!). Fantastic place! The locals are lovely and most speak perfect English (v.useful as it will take a lot longer than 3 days to get your head around the Icelandic pronunciations!).

I will say that at the time of year you are looking to go it's going to be a pretty dark affair! Around the beginning of January you have around 4 hours daylight. Beginning of Feb is better at 6/7hrs. However, they are obviously used to it so there's still plenty to do. The Blue Lagoon is great regardless of weather/daylight! Lazing in a large hot pool surrounded by snow is heaven! (getting from said pool to changing rooms, not so much!) The geyser at Geysir and Gullfoss waterfall are both within easy driving distance of Reykjavik and I assume that the tours will adjust themselves so they arrive at optimum daylight!

Seeing the Northern Lights is a bit hit and miss. If it's cloudy you obviously aren't going to see them and even on clear nights it's not a certainty. I didn't experience them unfortunately and had to settle for a postcard!

I highly recommend Iceland as a holiday destination. It's an amazing place! Even if you don't make it this time I would add it to your future holiday destination list!
Absolutely!

Thanks Jane. I think it looks good as well, but it's for my wife's 50th and she prefers the look of the ice hotel holiday, so it will have to go onto the 'to do' list for now.
Reykjavik - worth a visit? - henry k
>>Seeing the Northern Lights is a bit hit and miss.
>>
I am one of the very very fortunate ones who has seen, for hours, the most fantastic display.
I was flying back from the USA or Toronto one night and after watching for a while I went up onto the flight deck where it was an amazing scene all round the aircraft even apparently overtaking it. The crew said it was the best they had ever seen.
I returned to my seat and with pillows around my head to block out the cabin lights continued watching. I then got a gently nudge in my back. It was a flight deck member walking down the aisle looking for anyone awake to invite them up front.
Obviously security now bans flight deck visits across the pond.

SWMBO wants to see them so I was considering a "northern lights " flight.
Has anyone any experience of them as an ice hotel is a total total NO NO!
Mobile time settings - L'escargot
When I send a text on my Sony Ericsson Z530i the time given for the Message Received status is an hour earlier than the time I sent the text. Is this a fault in the time setting of the recipient's phone or the time setting of mine? I've got my phone set to GMT -1 hour, Daylight Saving option is set to standard time and Auto Time Zone is "off".

Any suggestions?

Edited by L'escargot on 06/12/2009 at 11:24

Mobile time settings - rtj70
I've got my phone set to GMT -1

Why? We're on GMT at the moment. In the summer it's GMT+1 (i.e. BST).
Mobile time settings - ifithelps
Or Zulu as we Top Guns call it. :)
Mobile time settings - Armitage Shanks {p}
Or ZooLoo and they are called in Regent's Park! Sorry I am really bored!
We're on GMT at the moment.

I've reset it to GMT and now the "message received" time is correct but the "message sent" time is an hour late!
Mobile time settings - maz64
I've reset it to GMT and now the "message received" time is correct but the
"message sent" time is an hour late!

Probably a daft question but is the displayed time correct? Ie. when you changed it to GMT didn't you have to adjust the current time as well?
Mobile time settings - rtj70
As Focus says, I'd expect to need to adjust the time after changing the timezone.

Changing timezone is handy for visiting countries temporarily etc. But the time on the phone needs to be right in the first place for the zone you're currently in.
Everthing is now OK. My phone is set to the correct time and it's set to GMT. The oddities occurred when looking at messages sent in the past. New messages sent show the correct "message sent" time and "message delivered" time.

Edited by L'escargot on 07/12/2009 at 08:09

Mobile time settings - Dynamic Dave
New messages sent show the correct "message sent" time and "message delivered" time.

Well until BST anyway ;o)
LG Whitegoods (Fridge freezers) - Kevin
Does anyone have experience of LG whitegoods, specifically fridge freezers?

The fridge section of our fridge freezer has developed an intermittent fault that is likely to make it uneconomical to repair (it's a 10yo Bosch).

The closest replacements that will fit without major hassle are an LG or a much more expensive Fisher and Paykel.

Kevin...
LG Whitegoods (Fridge freezers) - henry k
>>Te closest replacements that will fit without major hassle are an LG or a much more expensive Fisher and Paykel.
>>
I have recently replaced our upright freezer. One aspect, apart from will it fit, that might affect your choice is true storage / usefull volume.
What I found when trawling the white goods sheds was that these super modern models have very thick walls and the capacilty is greatly reduced.
I decided to go with an old type, pay the running costs and not inform the green lobby:-)
LG Whitegoods (Fridge freezers) - deepwith
We have an LG fridge-freezer which is several years old and has worked perfectly. We also have a combination microwave/halogen oven/grill which has given excellent service to date.

We are pleased with both items and would buy this make again.

Something I learned about white goods today is that Boots stock them on-line and have good delivery dates. Their Advantage Card gives you back 4p in the pound which is available to spend in Boots immediately.

Edited by deepwith on 06/12/2009 at 21:53

LG Whitegoods (Fridge freezers) - Stuartli
That well known consumer magazine has mixed views on LG fridge freezers, with some of the cons being high energy use with some models, not coping with cold conditions and recommended settings resulting in icy fridges and too-warm freezers.

Better models listed are the GCF399B, GR419BSCA and GR419BSGA, the latter two being amongst the Best Buys.
LG Whitegoods (Fridge freezers) - crunch_time
I recently purchased a BEKO f/f through comet auctions and also found that while it is physically larger than the one it replaced, it is actually smaller inside.

Hong Kong airport question - Robin
I am looking to book flights that involve a connection in Hong Kong. There is a choice of connecting flights on the outward leg: one involves a 1 hour 5 minute connection and the other 3 hours. Arrival and departure are from HK terminal 1.

Is 65 minutes enough to connect planes in HK?

The first leg is an 11 hour flight with BA from LHR so I am a bit concerned that any delays will result in us missing the connecting flight if we choose the 65 minute stopover. The whole journey wil be on BA flights (ie BA codes, the connecting flights are operated by Cathy) so presumably the luggage will be checked through to the final destination so no concerns about collecting bags). One of our party is over 70 and will probably need some help - one of those electric buggies I guess)

Anyone got any experience of Hong Kong terminal 1 and can offer some info?
Hong Kong airport question - daveyjp
For the sake of a couple of hours and to reduce stress I'd get the later one. 65 minutes isn't long to transfer at any international airport, especially if you need assistance.

Hong Kong airport question - Happy Blue!
Go onto www.pprune.com and ask on the SLF section of the forum.
Hong Kong airport question - Old Navy
I agree with daveyjp, give yourselvs a break from aircraft seats, less stressfull, strech your legs around the terminal, time to eat if required, and I hate rushing.
Hong Kong airport question - Kevin
65mins is not really enough time to make a connection comfortably.

Even if everything goes perfectly (BA & LHR???) and you land bang on time you'll be lucky to get inside the terminal building in less than 15 to 20mins. You then have to get to the next gate before it closes.

Don't forget that some airports now have security checks for transfer passengers as well so you may need to queue for X-ray and metal detectors again. I haven't been through HKG for about 10yrs so can't tell you if they have the extra security or not.

As the other guys have said, after 11hrs you and especially your 70yo, will welcome a break even if you're in business or first.

If you are flying economy I'd recommend that you look at Singapore or Emirates.

Kevin...
Dog 'Stocking' - Martin Devon
One of the dogs has lacerated a pad and has had to have it stitched. Lovely job, wonderful bandage. "Now go home and don't let it get wet for fourteen days, but we will change the dressing in seven". Probably going to cost near a Ton and they send you home with a plastic bag? What's that all about?

Surely in this day and age (modern materials etc.) would one not think that perhaps, just perhaps there must be a way of attaching a stocking type affair that it flexible, long enough, is waterproof AND will stay up.

Any thoughts or experiences greatly appreciated.

Martin (in muddy Devon)
Dog 'Stocking' - deepwith
Martin, try this item on ebay - should solve your problem: 250478140373
Just had another look, and there are cheaper ones which look the same. Search for 'dog boots'.

Edited by deepwith on 08/12/2009 at 07:53

Dog 'Stocking' - pda
Martin why not put some tubigrip bandage over the plastic bag?
It will stop the rattly noise irritating him and can be changed regularly as well.
You have a good vet, our cats usually cost more than that for an antibiotic injection:)

Pat
Dog 'Stocking' - perro
Why not use a condom - strong one mind!
Dog 'Stocking' - Altea Ego
Martin

Got lots of expereince of this, with the lively FiFi who has had a front hoof in badages and plaster many times.

Plastics bag over the dressing, taped at top. Dog boot on over the plastic bag. Walkies on lead only for 14 days.

100 quid is CHEAP, Fifi has in her life, racked up £8000 in vets bills.

Dog 'Stocking' - perro
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of money people spend on their mutts.
My Rhodesian Ridgeback cost me £350 9.5 years ago and never goes to the vets - not even for his jabs as they're just another blimmin con but, then again he's a 'propa' dog, not some powderpuff thing on a lead.
Listen mr perro, your spina bifida afro dog will be getting a visit from my malinois if I hear any more out of you.

Dog 'Stocking' - perro
>>> your spina bifida afro dog will be getting a visit from my malinois <<<

Nice dog's comrade Ego, y'all got Labradoodles so Malinoi Ridgback could be the next must have.
Dog 'Stocking' - 1400ted
Touch of ' girlie ' rivalry there.....get a proper dog, our toy poodle killed a ridgeback years ago....he got stuck in it's throat !

Ted
Dog 'Stocking' - perro
>>> our toy poodle killed a ridgeback years ago <<<

Yeah, I chuck Milo a 'toy' now & again innit :)
Dog 'Stocking' - Robbie
MY dog has recently had a malignant melanoma removed from his back paw. It was imperative that it was kept clean and dry between changes of bandage.

I checked the reviews of the dog boots and none of them came up to scratch. Ask your vet for a large drip bag. Cut the top off and make some holes where you can put an elastic bandage through to tie it on. This is about the most substantial thing you can use.
Dog 'Stocking' - David Horn
You could potentially use clingfilm over the dressing and an elastic bandage over that.
Ideally you want the dressing/bandage/support to breath, and something you can qucikly fix on and off to make it waterproof and durable for walkies (and things)

Hence the plastic bag type ideas. The drip bag idea is great as its very tough plastic and quick to fix on and off. As Nicole is a nurse I may use this idea in future.

Edited by Altea Ego on 08/12/2009 at 11:28

Dog 'Stocking' - Robbie
Cling film or any other type of plastic bag is useless. I tried everything with Charley, and even though he's getting on - twelve in a few weeks - poo bags, or anything similar were no use even for short walks.

I also used old, clean socks over his paw to keep the bandage clean.
Why not use a condom - strong one mind!

Perro me ol' mate. I love the pooch, but.................
Update.

Drip bag originally supplied (Large) but too short to attach over Hock which obviously provides a ridge to aid, and only aid, sliding off.. Drip bag too rigid, dog uncomfortable so doesn't want to Poo.

Tried it again with this on and with a large freezer bag over and an elastic band (not too tight etc.) I know these things as Dad often offered to strangle me! Worked quite well, but not brilliant.

Got home tonight and the Ayatollah-at-Homei had devised, my word not hers, a new idea. I couldn't be bothered to listen as I was *iss wet through, tired and cheesed right orf. It seemed to consist of the original bandage, cling film, drip bag, freezer bag and cling film! (yes I know I said that)..........OH! and an elastic band to hold it all up. Looked quite fetching really. It worked though, but dog still no poo. Whilst traipsing her around the garden, sorry, muddy lake, it decided to rain. Luckily still *iss wet through so made little difference! 20 mins..still no poo. Wash Dog's 3 feet, go indoors, dry dog, Ayatollah asks, "where you been". I smile, kick dog (joking) Dog bandage dry (hurrah)...(still no poo) thumbs up thinking ayatollah has cracked it and then original bandage starts to slip down. I look at new pup. New pup runs for cover. I say to er' indoors I go vet tomorrow get new bandage. OK she say. I take of wet cloves (tired now) walk indoors for beer. She say uvver dog needs to go out.............I say......................

Round 2 tomorrow!

Why do we do it?

Best reg's.......M
Dog 'Stocking' - perro
>>> Perro me ol' mate. I love the pooch, but................. <<<

Hahaha! I was actually being serious (for once) I remember when I cut my thumb quite badly on a Stanley and the Nurse rolled on some sort of rubber thingy to protect the bandage.
Nurse eh! nah ya talking
Dog 'Stocking' - 1400ted
Was this a Stanley steam car ?....not seen one for ages !
Martin...Hobgoblin a quid at Lidl this week !

Ted