What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 329 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 329 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 329. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/11/2009 at 19:22

Derailleurs Gears - cont - drbe
Continued from Vol 328.

Thanks for all the responses.

I found this in my searching. I will have a fiddle later on today.

www.bicycletutor.com/rapid-fire-shifters/
Derailleurs Gears - cont - drbe
Post fiddle update.

I took the rear sprocket mechanism off the handlebars (hexagon headed screw), then removed the cover from the mechanism (Phillips headed screw) and gave it some generous lubrication with 3 in 1 oil. Had a fiddle with the levers and it seemed to work, so, reassembled it and went for a test ride. Everything works fine!

Back home and did the same with the front chainwheel mechanism - equally good result.

The benefits of regular maintenance and lubrication cannot be overstated. (who said that?)
From Vol 328 - Short Term Letting - Clk Sec
>>whereby you carry on paying the rent after you move out until a new tenant is found.
>>Could be open to abuse as little incentive to find a new tenant.

A letting arrangement for such a short period is almost certainly going to involve some sort of one-off arrangement between landlord and tenant. Indeed there is a possibility of abuse, but not all landlords are charlatans.

There is always incentive to find a tenant, for security reasons if nothing else!

Clk Sec
Adopted by a ginger Tom - pda
>>>>We took on 3 rescue cats almost 3 yrs ago who had to be kept together and were 9 and 11 yrs old then. We only went to get one cat but these had been at the RSPCA for 6 weeks and because they were old and so very scared of strangers, no-one wanted them.
Mr pda was at home at the time unergoing chemo and we really didn't want any extra worry but we both felt so sorry for them.
We took them home and Gus ( Siamese neutered Tom) bonded with him straight away and they went through the bad times together with Gus never leaving his side.
What an excellent therapy it wa for Mr pda too, he suddenly had a reason to make himself feel a bit better.
Katie ( long haired alleycat female) and Tottie ( siamese female) lived behind any furniture they could find for 6 weeks only coming out to feed and use the litter tray at night but they had lived together all their lives and eventually they realised that Gus trusted us and they soon began follow suit.:)

Sadly we lost Tottie to congenital heart disease last January after very expensive, but worthwhile vets treatment and we still miss her so much.
The family is incomplete because the came as a package and part of it is missing.
<<<<<

I posted the above a few weeks ago and it saves me typing it all out again!
The problem is we have been adopted by a grumpy, angry unneutered ginger tom.
He's alway passed through our garden, and I suspect let himself in through the catflap when we've been at work.
Last winter we felt sorry for him and put a catflap in the shed for him with food, water and a warm bed.
He didn't want that, he wants to live in the house.
In the early days we used to try and break up fights with him and Gus in the garden and on one occasion he actually turned on me! Gus is a Siamese and is huge but Ginger ( as we call him) is fearless.
He's now taken up residence in a spare bedroom on the bed, it's his room and wo betide Gus and Katie if they go near it. The fights always start when he wants to come down stairs and Gus will sit at the bottom and taunt him.
A couple of weeks ago we decided that since he's 'moved in' the best way may be to make his bedroom his own, and make him welcome! He's now got his own food, water and litter tray upstairs in an effort to stop the fights, but that isn't good enough.
He now wants to feed with the other two and be with us in the evenings around the house.
All this is undertaken with an air of disdain and anger from Ginger but a determination to get his own way ( which he does by fair means or fowl)
We've had 3 expensive visits to the vet for Gus because of fighting wounds and I'd prefer this not to continue!
Ginger lives somewhere because he wears a collar, and he lost it once in our garden and appeared the next day with a brand new one, but none of the neighbours will admit to owning him.

The thing is, we went to the CPL and RSPCA a couple of weeks ago to get another cat to replace Totty, but after explaining the situation with Ginger, they confirmed our suspicions that it would be far too traumatic getting a strange cat to live with Gus and Katie after them being together for so long, without the added problem of Ginger.

If we took him to the vet and had him checked over and neutered, would we be in the wrong?

The thing is, it looks very much like he has moved in for good and only goes home to gloat about his better home.
And to be honest, we have warmed to his grumpiness and he's a bit of a challenge after all.
I think he's never been loved, and because of that he has a huge chip on his shoulder and is defensive so why can't him and Gus just accept each other?

Help!!

Pat

Edited by Pugugly on 28/11/2009 at 08:12

Adopted by a ginger Tom - Armitage Shanks {p}
A short reply to a long and interesting post. IMO it can never be a bad thing to have a tom neutered unless you want to breed from him. It will/may reduce the agression for a start!

Edited by Pugugly on 28/11/2009 at 08:13

But where do we stand with the cat's owners if we do this?

Pat

Adopted by a ginger Tom - Big Bad Dave
How will they ever know?

Adopted by a ginger Tom - perro
What I would do (using Vulcan logic) is this ...
You say his owner fitted a new collar so he clearly does belong to someone, so I would (in some way) attach a note to his collar so as his owners would see it - you could just write your ph. no. and ask them to contact you.
THEN, if you don't hear from them after a reasonable time - give him 'the snip'

Edited by Pugugly on 28/11/2009 at 08:14

Adopted by a ginger Tom - ifithelps
Pat say the cat was re-collared in a day, which suggests he has owners who are still taking an interest in him.

On that basis, it wouldn't be quite right to carry out an irreversible operation.

How will the owners ever know? Well, wouldn't even a cursory examination give them a clue?

Edited by Pugugly on 28/11/2009 at 08:14

Adopted by a ginger Tom - Altea Ego
throw him out. I really cant see how anyone can be concerned about a cat that has invaded your life, caused you and your other house cats a shed load of agro, and give you absolutely nothing in return.

When my wife throws me out, Ok if I come round and raid your fridge, use your shower, watch your tele and use your bed?

you are being taken for a ride, not your cat, not your problem, chuck the disruptive squatter out.

Edited by Altea Ego on 28/11/2009 at 08:41

Adopted by a ginger Tom - oilrag
Quite right Altea - but it doesn`t take into account Pat`s generosity towards all animals and her obvious warm heart.
...it doesn`t take into account Pat`s generosity towards all animals and her obvious warm heart...

I think the cat understands Pat's nature better than AE does. :)
Adopted by a ginger Tom - L'escargot
IMO it can never be a
bad thing to have a tom neutered .......... It
will/may reduce the agression for a start!

The cat which adopted us won't let us pick it up, so I can't see the vet even being able to get it onto his operating table!
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Armitage Shanks {p}
Tazer, stun gun? The vets must have something. I do accept the point re neutering a cat that isn't yours but if it is living in your house, eating your food, sleeping there and annoying the human and feline residents, most of the time. it would seem to one possible course of action. Perhaps the cat flap activated by a magnet on the collar of approved entrants would be the way forward?

Staywell 932 Magnetic Cat Flap Locking Pet Door White
Buy new: £22.99
In stock at Amazon
Adopted by a ginger Tom - L'escargot
Tazer stun gun? The vets must have something.

We fully accept that the cat which has adopted us is now ours. It arrived about 18 months ago as a young cat. It comes and goes as it pleases via a cat-flap at the end of the porch, and sleeps either on a worktop or in a sort of kennel depending on the temperature. It gets fed in the porch and obviously considers that that's its home. It rubs around our legs, enjoys being stroked and brushed, and follows us everywhere in the garden. It sometimes rolls on its back and exposes its underside which I gather is a sign that it trusts us. But it just won't let us pick it up, and demonstrates its dislike to this by a quick bite or scratch of the offending hand. We're going to have to find some way of enticing it into a cat basket at ground level in order to be able to take it to the vet to be doctored.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Dynamic Dave
But it just won't let us pick it up and demonstrates its dislike to this by a quick bite or scratch of the offending hand.

IF you pick it up by the scruff of the neck (the area between the ears just back from the top of its head) then it will be unable to bite or scratch you.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Manatee
You are anthropomorphizing as I'm sure you know - you have imagined a life story of neglect and psychological damage. You might equally imagine he is the Ronnie Kray of cats - do you want him anywhere near your well behaved pets? You are clearly a kind person and an animal lover but he has no need of your care and affection - he already has an attentive owner by the sound of it.

Do what you have to do to exclude him. If you can't deter him, or get his owners to keep him away, then an 'intelligent' cat flap will be a lot cheaper than the vet's bills.

On no account should you have it castrated, it's not your cat! - though you might contact the owners and suggest they do.

Auntie.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Pugugly
Be very careful what you do to someone else's animal. It is viewed as "property" under the Theft Act and you could face consequences.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - bathtub tom
Aren't cats 'wild animals'?
...Aren't cats 'wild animals'?...

If you neuter one, I'd expect it to be very wild. :)
>>Be very careful what you do to someone else's animal. It is viewed as "property" under the Theft Act and you could face consequences

By the same token you have no business keeping it at your house and feeding it, particularly now you are aware that it has an owner (looking at it from said owner's point of view).

If you think it's hard on the interloper, consider your own cats. It is dominating them, injuring them and may well bring in some nasty disease from its night time roaming.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - rtj70
If your cats have a collar I'd go for the locking cat flap option.

Or as someone says attach a note the ginger cat's collar and try to get in touch with owners.
...Be very careful what you do to someone else's animal. It is viewed as "property" under the Theft Act and you could face consequences...

It was always said you did not have to report running over and killing a cat, but you did have to report killing a dog.

The reasoning was that a dog could be a working animal, and losing it could affect the owner's livelihood.

This leaves us with the slightly absurd situation that stealing someone else's cat is illegal, but killing it is not.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not prepared to try and get our two elderly cats to wear collars ( which I don't like anyway) at their age.
I can't evict him as he just walks in the catflap, I'm not keeping him against his will as he goes out when he wants to.
My theory is that his collars have a bell on them, and his grumpyness is caused by his frustration at never being able to hunt and stalk unheard.
He's a cat with attitude, he's a cat after my own heart.
If everyone had given up on me every time I'd been stubborn and determined I wouldn't be where I am now.
Our two cats have to learn that when they came to live with us, we went to get one cat......................and came back with three, because there's always room for one more.
Attaching a note to his collar with a phone number sounds a good idea, if only we dare!
This morning saw Mr pda armed with a cushion, myself armed with a bathroom mat like a matador and Ginger in the middle swearing at everyone and refusing to go out.:)
I think he's misunderstood at home.

Pat
I'm not prepared to try and get our two elderly cats to wear collars ( which I don't like anyway)

I don't like to see cats wearing collars either. Not since seeing a cat hang itself from a tree branch. For me a collar on an animal is for one thing and one thing only - to attach a lead to and take for a walk. I can't recall ever seeing anyone take a cat for a walk.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Stuartli
I completely agree about cats not wearing a collar - easy to microchip - mine have never had one.

>>My theory is that his collars have a bell on them..>>

Although I appreciate why some people do it, it's cruel to fit a bell to a cat's collar as it completely disorientates the animal due to its remarkable hearing ability.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Alby Back
I can't recall ever seeing anyone take a cat for a walk.

No, nor me but my son takes his Guinea Pig for a walk on its special harness and lead. I have tried to persuade him that it's just a very small vegetarian dog but he doesn't believe me. It only cost a tenner.....

I haven't tried walking it to the pub yet but I'm tempted.

;-)
Adopted by a ginger Tom - JH
Pat, the best of luck! It's a familiar story and I'm not too far away from this situtation myself at the moment, with a Tom with full tackle who is clearly trying to move in. After one fight he was limping, so after waiting for owners to do something and no action 24 hours later, we took him to the vet. He's not chipped - have you checked "yours"?

In my limited experience they eventually all get on, by some tactical ignoring.

JH
Now there's a thought JH, but first we have to get him in a mood where we can pick him up, then get him in a cat basket.
H&S risk assesment needed before that :)
He's at the moment, asleep on a his spare bed pillow, so we've decided to try and talk and stroke him whenever we go upstairs, to try and make him feel part of the family.
Usually he enjoys this, but tonight he bit me!
BUT, he could be in pain and that's why I'd like to get him to the vets.
I get the feeling that he's mostly lived outdoors and he's beginning to look a lot better now with a shiny, smooth coat now he isn't out in all weathers.
Our two are only being inconvenienced slightly, Katie is the Grand Old Duchess and usually ignored him but if she really wants to walk past him she just swears and does so!
Gus antagonises him on purpose sometimes and gives as good as he gets, so we'll never let them suffer because of Ginger.
But we won't give up on him either!

Pat
>>I think he's misunderstood at home

I suspect they understand him only too well, and fail to mistake him for a human in feline form ;-)

Maybe you can get social services to take him into care.
Thanks for the advice but I'm not prepared to try and get our two elderly cats to wear
collars ( which I don't like anyway) at their age.

Ours has never had a collar and doubt if she would like one now after all these years. We had/have a cat coming in our cat flap and his owners have one of those magnetically controlled flaps so we'd have had to go for something infra-read.

In the end we started locking it at night. But he still came in.

Originally, when young he was quite sweet but then we started waking up and he was on the bed! And the owners were annoyed once when he was sat in the front window looking out (we didn't realise). So we started shooing him out.

He also started marking walls in the lounge! He went missing recently. We asked if the owners had found him.... the children said he was dead! We felt terrible.

I'm with you on this pat. Don't throw him out but try to get him to like the other cats. Don't know how though.
particularly now you are aware that it has an owner

A lot of cats have more than one "owner"

A few years ago we adopted a stray cat. Turns out quite a few of the neighbours also adopted the same cat. She had at least 6 different names. That was one pampered moggie I can tell you.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Lud
We have a cat. A well-behaved smallish black spayed female (had a litter first though). It adores my wife and sprawls on her work, which involves large typescripts and wads of galleys, attempting to choke her laptop by lying on the warm exhaust grille. It hustles for food quite often too.

It really belongs to one of our grandchildren but they live in a flat so it can't get outside, and the place is a bit crowded with nippers for a litter tray to be viable. So we got lumbered. It has two cat flaps in the outer and inner back basement doors. Other cats used to come in the house, so a trick door was obtained and the cat now wears a small round magnet on a collar. It tends to stick to steel objects and pick them up too, to the cat's great alarm and confusion. Silly damn animal.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - gordonbennet
I'm with AE on this, sling him out and give him the heave ho whenever he gets within striking distance.
This opportunist 'cuckoo' is making your existing cats lives a misery, and you'll get no joy with him imo.

If your aim is good the polishing effect of his backside will save considerable expenditure on kiwi for your steel toe caps:-)
Adopted by a ginger Tom - bathtub tom
Water pistol, or even a container of water, dip your index finger in it and flick it at the offending moggie.

I refused to eat my dinner with daughter's cat walking around the table top. To the indignation of the cat and daughter's surprise, it learnt very quickly.
www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/EG10-Catsandthela...f

An useful looking document. Cats are "property" and you can be convicted for killing them.
Adopted by a ginger Tom - drbe
Surprising, how much interest this has generated - on a motoring forum!

What about keeping the spare bedroom door closed? Sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven't read every post.
Interesting reading PU. Thanks.

Pat
Adopted by a ginger Tom - NVH
Speaking as the former owner of a tom which strayed :
- Stop feeding it !

You will also need to lock the cat flap, especially at night, and cover it with something so the stray cannot see inside.
Our cat was also known for stealing cat toys from a neighbour's kitchen and bringing them home.

They hate sprays of any kind, and a water spray is harmless.
You will need to actively discourage it.

If you take someone else's cat to the vet, they are obliged to contact the owner.
In the end, we signed over our straying tom to a neighbour 50 yards away.
Why should I lock the cat flap and restrict our 2 cats from having the freedom they love after being in the RSPCA kennels for so long?
They have food down as they want it and I'm not prepared to stop that either.
The ideal situation would be to find the owners and ask them to sign him over to us but none of the neighbours are admitting to owning him.
It's not hard to see why!

Pat
One way around it would be to print an ad in the local freesheet asking the owner to come forward and claim the cat as it is a "Nuisance" giving them 28 days to respond or you assume the rights of the owner,. Back it up with hand delivered flyers. These are "reasonable steps" to identify the owner..
PU, you are a little genius:)
We have a village magazine called Doddington's Doings and it's delivered free to every house in the village. I have just emailed a slightly humourous piece in for the next one asking for Gingers 'other' owners to get in touch for a chat.
At least we've just had Decembers delivered so he's assured of a nice warm Christmas!

Pat
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Altea Ego
PU you are a little genius:)
We have a village magazine called Doddington's Doings and it's delivered free to every house
in the village. I have just emailed a slightly humourous piece in for the next
one asking for Gingers 'other' owners to get in touch for a chat.

Are you serious? The owner is glad to get shot of the little thug, no way are they going to chirp up and claim him.

If someone leaves an annonymous bottle of scotch on your doorstep you know you have been dun up like a kipper.
Are you serious? The owner is glad to get shot of the little thug, no way are they going to
chirp up and claim him.

I took it that Pat wanted to find the owner and perhaps wants to "adopt" the cat.

Another solution if you did want to stop the cat coming in but not have a locked cat flap for your cats is.... if your cats are chipped you can get a cat flap that reads the chips in the cat and only let your cats in.

www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/

I wish I'd known about these before today. I'd have got one! But we're moving in a few weeks so no use now. £127 is not cheap but might be a good buy. I only stumbled across it because thinking of chipping our car in case she wanders off from the temporary accommodation one day. I was trying to find out how much it costs to chip a cat. She's never worn a collar and at 14 it would be unfair to do so now.
Yes, I feel it would be very unfair too.

I didn't know about the microchip cat flap though. Both of ours are chipped as they were from te RSPCA.
Thanks for that link, but I don't think we could bear to listen to him wailing outside in the cold now, specially as it may well be aching bones that make him grumpy.

Pat
Adopted by a ginger Tom - drbe
>> The ideal situation >>

Wouldn't the ideal situation be for the squatter to go back to its rightful owners?
Adopted by a ginger Tom - Mapmaker
Stop indulging it pda. A water pistol, and a firm hand. I have "acquired" two stray cats (definitely properly stray). They wouldn't DARE step inside the house, even if the door is open. But I'm used to dealing with dogs, and treat them in exactly the same way.

And the local branch of Celia Hammond Animal Trust neutered them for free - and kept them in for a week... (and offered to provide free pet food in perpetuity...!!!)

I would do exactly the same for a dog MM:)

>>> and kept them in for a week... <<<

and then you out them out in the cold?
How could you? :)

FT
He makes me happy, so don't be hard on him!
Pat
Adopted by a ginger Tom - FotheringtonThomas
FT He makes me happy so don't be hard on him!

I'm not, but he does seem to be causing you (not to mention your resident animals) problems. I'm sure he wouldn't want his machinery interfered with, either.
cat! - though you might contact the owners

Do cats actually have owners? If I flatten one on the road, AFAIK I'm not required to stop, which I am if I hit a dog.
Sounds to me as though this cat's overdue for going on a holiday somewhere a long way away.
vienna lime - freddy1
vienna lime , what is it ? or is there a local sorse for a simular product?

I use this when cleaning aluminium (parts for my classic m/bike) , the stuff is sprinkled over the job , and rubbed in after you have polished them (mop and cleaning soap) , it removes the residue , and hand grease.

there must be summot , close enough to use? , I was thinking talc or the stuff that wieght lifter put on there hands (to remove grease?)

any thoughts?

{detached from the cat question, and attached to the topmost question in this thread - as per the "Please Note" request!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/11/2009 at 20:39

vienna lime - bell boy
did you try to google it like i just did?
theres lots of it for sale from ebay
be warned though it looks like cocaine from some angles so you might get raided after you buy it through the post
vienna lime - freddy1
yes i did google it , and yes you can buy it in 1 kilo bags from (south) america , I was after a local supply , as I hate paying for 1 kilo bags (not) to arrive ,,postage costs etc ,,
vienna lime - ifithelps
... 1 kilo bags from (south) america...

It must be cocaine. :)
vienna lime - pmh3
Different sources identify it as either Calcium Carbonate (Chalk?) OR
Calcium /magnesium oxide see below

Is this the real thing? use with care!!!!

Identification of the Product
Product Name: Vienna Lime
Article No.: 99890
Use of the Substance/Preparation: Artists´ and Restoration Material
Hazard Identification
Hazard designation: Xi Irritating
Risk Phrases: R38 Irritating to skin.
R41 Risk of serious damage to eyes.
3. Composition/Information on Ingredients
Hazardous Ingredients: Calcium magnesium oxide 50-100 %
CAS-Nr: 37247-91-9 EINECS-Nr: 253-425-0 EC-Nr:
4. First Aid Measures
After inhalation: In case of unconsciousness, store, respectively transport in stable
side position.
After skin contact: Remove contaminated clothing immediately. Wash off immediately
with plenty of water and soap.
After eye contact: Rinse open eyes with plenty of water. In case of discomfort seek
medical help.
After ingestion: If symptoms persist consult physician.

by the sound of it Cocaine is less damaging to the health!

Edited by pmh3 on 28/11/2009 at 18:26

vienna lime - old crocks
The first result when I googled "vienna lime powder" was www.thepolishingshop.co.uk based in Cannock. Is this local to you? Where are you?

They say - "Please note Vienna Lime is not an actual lime powder but a pure form of super fine calcium carbonate (chalk)."
vienna lime - freddy1
Different sources identify it as either Calcium Carbonate (Chalk?) OR
Calcium /magnesium oxide see below

Is this the real thing? use with care!!!!

Identification of the Product
Product Name: Vienna Lime
Article No.: 99890
Use of the Substance/Preparation: Artists´ and Restoration Material
Hazard Identification
Hazard designation: Xi Irritating
Risk Phrases: R38 Irritating to skin.
R41 Risk of serious damage to eyes.
3. Composition/Information on Ingredients
Hazardous Ingredients: Calcium magnesium oxide 50-100 %
CAS-Nr: 37247-91-9 EINECS-Nr: 253-425-0 EC-Nr:
4. First Aid Measures
After inhalation: In case of unconsciousness, store, respectively transport in stable
side position.
After skin contact: Remove contaminated clothing immediately. Wash off immediately
with plenty of water and soap.
After eye contact: Rinse open eyes with plenty of water. In case of discomfort seek
medical help.
After ingestion: If symptoms persist consult physician.

by the sound of it Cocaine is less damaging to the health!

so its not talcum powder then?
House price calculator - L'escargot
HBOS have a house price calculator which enables you to update the price of your house from an earlier date. tinyurl.com/ygl27sp
However, it seems to have ceased to update beyond 2009 Q2. Is it just waiting for the latest data? Alternatively, do you know of a similar online house price calculator?

Edited by L'escargot on 29/11/2009 at 16:52

House price calculator - jbif
Alternatively, do you know of a similar online house price calculator? >>

Halifax (HBOS) was taken over by Lloyds (classic case of drowning person taking down the rescuer with them). Anyhow, Llloyds now have their up to date calculator here:
www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media1/research/house_p...p

others Lloyds data
www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media1/research/halifax...R

other house price calculators:
www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/
www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/free-house-pri...s
www.thisismoney.co.uk/house-price-crash-calculator
www.landreg.gov.uk/houseprices/

find others using your favourite Bing.com alternative.
House price calculator - L'escargot
Thanks jbif, that's just what I wanted.
Woodburning stoves - BobbyG
In the springtime we are hopefully getting a single sunroom added to the back of house . It was SWMBOs plan to have a gas fire in it for that warm-house feeling. You know the sort of thing - slouching in front of the fire, reading a book or listening to music. This room will have no TV and will be for entertaining / chilling out.

Now, I also have a chiminea in my garden that I light one night most weekends, gather round it with a few beers and neighbours and "chill" (not literally).

After doing some research, I see that you can get wood burning stoves of various shapes and sizes and not too dear at that.

Now on one hand this would be great, that "real fire effect" but inside so can be used even when raining and would certainly provide a homely feel.

However, I would be interested in knowing what other folk's thoughts are on this that have got one - do you use it a lot, is it practical and maintenance free, does the novelty wear off and wish you had a real gas fire?

The room will also have radiators so fire won't be the only source of heat!

Thoughts?

Woodburning stoves - adverse camber
We have real woodburners rather than those imitation gas things ;-)

When costing a woodburner do not forget the cost of a proper flue - and do not assume that the flue only needs to poke out of the top of the sunroom. Depending on the hight and proximity of other buildings it may need to be quite high - and that will not be cheap.

They are practical but obviously you need to have a wood store and clean it out on a regular basis and then sweep the chimney on a regular basis. I love them but some people can't handle the possibility of a little bit of ash escaping when they get cleaned.
Woodburning stoves - Manatee
Consider giving yourself the option of solid fuel and choosing a multifuel stove.

I suspect there are some cheap stoves around that aren't very efficient. A bit of research should give you an idea.

We had a narrowboat with a Morso Squirrel in it - an expensive little stove but it could be regulated very precisely, to the point that it was perfectly possible to keep it going all night on a couple of shovels of coal. There are other reputable makes including Aga.

We have an open fire which we don't use all the time, but I would love to replace with a stove if we decide to stay in our current house.
Woodburning stoves - Big Bad Dave
"Now on one hand this would be great, that "real fire effect""

Bobby, haven't you already burnt your house down once this year?
Woodburning stoves - perro
I've used these people before and the site is very informative, if you've got rads anyway, you may wish to consider a gas fired stove, the good thing about them is they are easy to regulate whereas a wood/multi fuel jobbie can easilly overpower a small room.
www.stovesonline.co.uk/
Dave, yes, well to be precise, my neighbour burnt my house down!!

I am hoping an enclosed wood fire may be a bit safer than welding an outside tap!!
Woodburning stoves - daveyjp
We've had plenty of cottages with wood burning stoves. Much easier than coal fires as the fuel is cleaner to handle, it lights quicker and there isn't as much ash.

If you intend on using it a lot you'll need a good supply of logs. From our experience a large log basket lasts about an evening if the logs are fully dried out.
Woodburning stoves - RichardW
we took out the old Baxi back boiler in 2007, and had thought about replacing it with a stove of some sort. Intially thought about a gas one, but a trip to the stove shop where they had wood burners and SWBO was sold, so a wood burner it had to be! Installation was not cheap - the stove itself (a Charnwood Cove 1) ws over £1k, lining the chinemy and misc flue fittings were £400, rebuilding the fireplace cost about £750 (OK so we went for real stone tiles...) we also had to rebuild the chimney stack, but that had to be done anyway as the old one was rotten. I did all the work myself, the labour would have been another £2k on top probably...

Was it worth it?

Oh yes... it was lit at about 10am this morning, and it's so warm in here I am considering going outside for a cool down, and it's not been above 3°C here today - the rest of the house if freezing though, as the CH has not been on this evening. It's a real centre point in the room, and the radiant heat gives a real 'snug' feeling. It does take a bit of effort, and you need to track down a wood supply - note that with the recent gas prices, firewood has gone through the roof - £65 for 1m³ last season. Do be careful not to over spec the stove - ours is only 4kW but is plenty big enough - any larger and you stuggle to keep the fire down small enough to avoid overheating the place (which will stop you using it).
Woodburning stoves - ifithelps
Bobby,

I take it you've considered the Clean Air Act?

You mention your neighbour burned your house down.

In many built-up areas, it's smokeless fuel only, certainly for open fires.

I have an open fire and am allowed 30 minutes lighting up time with wood/kindling, then it has has to be smokeless all the way.

Council staff are known to keep an eye on chimneys around here, although someone told me they struggle to see any smoke when it's dark.

ifithelps, no I hadn't given it a thought - maybe I should start with that!

Neighbour burned house down not through a conventional open fire, but a bit of welding on an outside tap that when mixed with a timber frame house, led to, ahem, well I guess you can work out the rest!!
...Neighbour burned house down not through a conventional open fire...

Bobby,

All I meant by that is it suggests you may live in a built-up area.

I think all cities are smokeless zones.

Nothing to stop you having an enclosed stove that burns smokeless fuel.

All other considerations aside, smokeless fuels have a higher calorific value than wood, so you get more heat from the same size fire.

I reckon they last longer, too.

If I put the odd log on my open fire (naughty, naughty), it's ash in next to no time.

Woodburning stoves - Mapmaker
When did somebody last hear of a prosecution for breaking smoke free laws? I live within 15 minutes walk of the Thames in the middle of town, and all local garages have as much coal stacked up as smokeless.

Some super-efficient modern wood burners are suitable for use in smokeless zones.

Edited by Mapmaker on 30/11/2009 at 12:14

Woodburning stoves - FotheringtonThomas
Compared to a gas fire, it'll be a lot of work. What's a "sunroom", BTW? A conservatory? Anyway, you'll need a proper flue, somewhere to keep fuel, somewhere to put the ash, and a bit of time to do the dusting, too.
Woodburning stoves - Altea Ego
Compared to a gas fire it'll be a lot of work.

Nope - 5 mins to load with kindling and logs.

>> the ash and a bit of time to do the dusting too.
>>

You buy a second hand Henry for ash.

10 mins per day is well worth it for the warmth and life of a log burner.
..When did somebody last hear of a prosecution for breaking smoke free laws?...

In one case of which I'm aware, complaints were made by the neighbours - 'my washing smells of smoke', 'my house/dog/car stinks of smoke' - that sort of thing.

The householder with the offending fire - no, it wasn't me - received a warning visit from the local council, along the lines of 'play the game or we will prosecute'.

Nothing to stop the OP using a solid fuel stove, or as mapmaker says, a wood burner approved for smokeless zones.

Christmas lights - Rattle
We have two furr trees in our back garden both around 8ft in height, I thought it would be nice to put some lights on them. However they are along way from any mains supply so I was thinking of battery power. LED lights only come in lengths of around 20 so I was thinking of buying a much bigger 12v battery (not quite car battery, but the type you use in alarms) is there anything I need to consider apart from getting the current voltage?

Bassicaly my plan is to buy two sets of mains powered outdoor LED lights cut off the transformers and instead connect it to a battery pack which will output at the same voltage as the transformer. They would then connect to the battery in parrerel rather than in series.

Any problems with this setup?
Christmas lights - Altea Ego
Yes its a load of agro.

Much easier to buy a 13 amp 240 volt socket strip and leave indoors.
Exend all of the low volatge wires from the wall warts (the transformers) from the house to the tree.
Thats the other thing I was thinking of, but its a good 30foot run so protecting some wire of that length would also be an issue. I suppose I could use standard two core mains flex, which I suspect I would have to use anyway as with doorbell wire there would too much attenuation.

30 foot will be fine, its only low voltage
Christmas lights - pmh3
>>30 foot will be fine, its only low voltage<<

Rattle - attenuation? you must have been asleep in the relevant lessons!

come now AE, you mean low current;)

Rattle - no problems any way - bell wire should be fine for 30' unless it is VERY thin!

Edited by pmh3 on 30/11/2009 at 14:51

low voltage and low current.
Christmas lights - ifithelps
...30 foot will be fine, its only low voltage...

Won't the lights be a bit dim?

I fitted 'jump leads' to my Scalextric to make sure there was plenty of power on the far side of the circuit.

Bought some solar lights, not sure how well these well work but they take normal rechargable AA batteries so I could always replace the batteries with fully charged ones if they don't power on for long.

Running a 30ft cable will be too messy just too many things in the way and unless its proper mains cable which is expensive 50p a metre bell wire will just get damaged.

£6.99 for 100 LEDs included the batteries and solar panal. I got them from Quality Save which is a chain of discount stores in the Manchester area.

Edited by Rattle on 30/11/2009 at 16:07

Christmas lights - bathtub tom
I suppose gold plated connectors and oxygen free conductors might help. ;>)
Christmas lights - pmh3
bt
you missed out the other crucial requirements;)

(a) Large cross-sectional area of stranded copper
(b) High purity copper
(c) Oxygen-free copper
(d) Linear crystal structure in the copper (LC-OFC)
(e) Special insulation of the conducting wires (PTFE etc.)
(f) "Directionality" of the conductors
(g) Special low inductance winding of copper strands
(h) Pressure binding of the conductor strands to minimise minute vibration of the conductors
(i) Silver plating of conductors
(j) Litz cable (each strand is individually insulated)

He really does need to impress the neighbours
Christmas lights - SpamCan61 {P}
bt
you missed out the other crucial requirements;)
(a) Large cross-sectional area of stranded copper

8< 8< 8< 8< 8<
(j) Litz cable (each strand is individually insulated)

You forgot the unicorn fur outer insulation...
My speakers are running on bell wire from the amp. (its white and thin and easily hidden in the coveing)

Does that make me a bad man?

Christmas lights - pmh3
so are mine!

thats engineering for you!
Christmas lights - Mapmaker
Mine run on some scrap 2.5mm T&E that I dragged out of a wall somewhere. Must be better than bell wire.
Lets not get started on that debate! Using Ixos Gamma for mine.
Planning Permission - non material variation - BobbyG
Last year we submitted plans for an extension and went through the whole Planning Permission procedure and this was granted. We live in a semi-detached and the plans were to put a double storey extension to the side and back, effectively adding an "L" shape to the existing house.

We have changed our plans to be only a single at the back but keeping the double at the side. My architect said this could be dealt with as a non-material variation as the single is less of an issue for neighbours than the double.

Council have written back saying it must go through the full process again which will involve another fee and time delay. I cannot find anything on the web which states what a non material variation is or giving examples. Does anyone know?

On the face of it my neighbour could complain about this single storey but can't complain if I reverted back to the double storey plan that has been passed!

Any thoughts?
Planning Permission - non material variation - Altea Ego
Yes - why the change? Why not proceed with the original plans?
AE when the house was being rebuilt due to the fire, and there were no "insides" to the house, then the original plans of double all round looked good as there was no added work to the inside as there was no inside!
However cut a long story short, the builders appointed by ins co didn't want the extra building work and quoted ridiculous amounts.
Now to do the double would mean ripping apart the existing upstairs thats all just been redone and also be dearer than just the single.
Planning Permission - non material variation - ifithelps
The look of a building is an important planning consideration.

Knocking a storey off could have a great impact on this.

Just because the mass of the new building is smaller, it doesn't automatically follow it will be acceptable.

The planning officer could think your new plans will result in an 'unbalanced' building.

Single storeys and their roofs can also be controversial.

What roof had you planned to put on? Flat? Pitched?

What did you say about planned usage for new space?

How will this change?

How your archtitect can think any of this is 'non material' is beyond me.

Bare in mind your neighbour's views may have changed, and he may object this time, even if he didn't last.

Edited by ifithelps on 30/11/2009 at 16:32

Planning Permission - non material variation - RichardW
The planners hold sway and it will be them who come knocking on the door with the order to knock it down when you have 'not complied' with the conditions. If they say new application required, then I can't see there's much movement in arguing with them over a technicality - although one try is worth while!
Ifithelps, ssingle storey will be pitched roof. The upstairs was going to be bigger bedrooms but we do not need them. The downstairs use has not changed from being an extra family room.

Your point re architect is of interest and one I am looking for more facts to back it up.

Re neighbours, this is a major concern for me as, for some unbelievable reason, the one who set fire to my house (by accident), resulting in us being out for a year, is not talking to us and I could see them protesting, although that doesn't necessarily mean they would be successful!
Power Shower & Boiler Thermostat - Robbie
I have just had a 'phone call from a friend who has been quoted a charge of £500 to fit a cylinder thermostat as she is having a Salamander Shower Pump fitted.

My friend is a single woman and I think the plumber is having her on. The house is a bungalow and I think the hot water is pump fed and not a gravity fed system. Apparently, the hot water in the tank must not exceed 60C, and the plumber says it does not have a thermostat. I would have thought that a thermostat would have been fitted to the hot water system when it was installed - mid nineties.

Does the system require a thermostat if one is not fitted to the hot water supply?

Would the thermostat on the boiler not control the temperature in the hot water cylinder?

If she does need a thermostat is a quote of £500 outrageous?

Thanks.
Power Shower & Boiler Thermostat - Old Navy
Not the same system, but my boiler supplies very hot water to the radiators and has a blending valve for domestic hot water (I know because it was replaced recently) it was set to 63C after fitting. A blending valve costs about £50. I smell rip off and further quotes required.

www.plumbworld.co.uk/thermostatic-mixing-valves-33...7

Edited by Old Navy on 30/11/2009 at 18:58

Power Shower & Boiler Thermostat - Altea Ego
Fristly, yes the water in the pump should not exceed 60c. Higher than this will cause cavitation (specially in a bungalow with poor head of water) and wreck the pump bearings (I know this from hard experience). With respect to salamander pumps, I had two and would never have another in the house. I have a Stuart Turner pump (as per recomendations on here)

Things dont add up tho. You cant have "pumped" hot water and a cylinder? ONe really needs to see what her current set up is. It could need a new cylinder, new diverter valves reconfiguration of the system etc etc. YOu need to see the scope of the work first.

Power Shower & Boiler Thermostat - Robbie
I may have the wrong terminology: it isn't a gravity fed system like mine so I assumed it must be a pumped system. There is a hot water cylinder.