What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 324 [Read only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 325 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 324. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/11/2009 at 16:19

Negating the effects of "scratches" on spectacles. - FotheringtonThomas
I sometimes use a pair of spectacles that have been cleaned with something that left minute scratches on the lenses. These scratches (or perhaps just marks) are *almost* invisible - but not quite. Is there something I can use to remove them? What?
Negating the effects of "scratches" on spectacles. - Lud
Jeweller's rouge. Elbow grease. Money (in case you ruin the optics by polishing too much glass away and have to get new spectacles anyway). Special coatings (e.g. the stuff that goes black when exposed to uv) render the operation impossible anyway.

I am amazed by how much more durable plastic lenses are than glass ones by the way.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations - update - maz64
Continued from:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=80012&...e

I've decided to go for my first choice, the cheap and (hopefully) cheerful Fujifilm Finepix A170, although thanks to Adverse Camber for the Asda tip-off which saved me £3. I had a little play with one in Jessops at lunch time (where it was £69) and liked it.

Thanks for all the other suggestions and advice - I hadn't already made up my mind, but the low price of the A170 combined with decent reviews gave it the edge.
Humax PVR being temperamental - JH
I've had a Humax PVR for about 2 years. It's a great machine but it seems to be ever more temperamental. For instance I can press a button on the remote and it may or may not respond. Sometimes it will respond 20 seconds or so later. Which is a bit of a nuisance if I was fast forwarding through the ads. It's not the remote, the front panel is the same. When it gets really humpty it won't even switch off, with the remote or the front panel button. A power off / on sorts it.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Is there cure? Maybe the inter-rossiter needs cleaning or the flux modulator needs adjustment?

Thanks
JH
Humax PVR being temperamental - Altea Ego
take it apart and clean it out. It could be getting hot.
Humax PVR being temperamental - maz64
On the off-chance you don't get an answer here, you could try
www.hummy.org.uk/forums/
Blimey, what a web site! I'll spend some time looking at that. Thanks Focus. And thanks AE for the suggestion.

JH
Humax PVR being temperamental - Robbie
This is happening with all Humax PVR9200 models. Apparently it's due to the digital switchover. You are not alone, mine is exactly the same.

I am waiting for a reply from Humax who are going to send an OTA update for the software.
Robbie, yup, just got down on stomach and it's a 9200. OTA - Over The Air? So it will "just happen" I guess. Software date shows as 24 December 2007.

I do hope they deliver. The Humax replaced a Panasonic which was diabolical. It was so bad it is sitting in a cupboard. I wouldn't inflict it on anyone by giving it away. They promid an update. It never happened. Well maybe it did but I can't be bothered getting it out of the cupboard and plugging it in :-)

Thanks Robbie

JH
Humax PVR being temperamental - Robbie
JH, I received this from Humax this morning. You could give it a try.

Hi there,

Please follow these steps to refresh the tuners and manually tune into your local transmitter (Winter Hill) and cure your problem:

Power OFF the receiver
Disconnect the Aerial cable
Power On the receiver
Press MENU
Select Installation
Enter your password (default = 0000)
Select Default Setting
Select YES
Enter your password (Default = 0000)
When the receiver restarts, power off
Power on the Box
press ok on stop (when you see automatic search)
?no channels found? press ok
?press ok to search channels? press ok
select manual search
carefully connect the aerial cable (whilst the box is on )
Then please follow the steps below?

The following procedure will allow you to receive signal from the Winter Hill transmitter.

Please go down to Network Search and select enable.

Then go to Channel and select 62.

Then select Search. When the search has finished, press save.

With Network Search enabled this should find all the channels on all multiplexes.

However if this does not find all channels you will have to search the multiplexes individually.

To do this please switch Network Search back to Disable and search the following channels one after the other, selecting save after each search;

62, 66, 67, 68, 56, 63.

(PLEASE NOTE: You will need to do this again for the second half of the switchover when you fully change to digital)

Chris,

Humax (Technical Support)

Email: chris at humaxdigital.com

TEL: (removed)

Useful post but I have modified the email address to avoid the guy getting spammed removed the phone number. smokie

Edited by smokie on 13/11/2009 at 10:10

Thanks Robbie. I spent some time last night looking at the forum and there are a lot of people with similar problems. As Winter Hill (that's what I'm on too) digital switchover is 2 December I'll wait for that and then follow the instructions above as belt, braces and baling twine.

Thanks,
John
Swine flu and rush to get better - Rattle
I have been in bed since Tuesday night with a mystery flu like bug. It was confusing me because I had all the flu symptoms but I haven't been at deaths door. I have no energy and been asleep most the time but have been able to watch some telly and post on my laptop.

I went on the NHS website today put in my symptoms and to my surprise it says I most likely have swine flu so my little bug is a bit more serious than I thought. I hoped last night I would right as rain today and be able to get to work, now it seems I have a few more days in bed ;(

I've had to cancel a lot of jobs and I am worried if I don't get better soon my customers will use somebody else. How can I balance this? I have ordered tamilfu via the NHS site but is drug to be trusted with it being so new?

The most annoying this is all my jobs need physical hardware contact there isn't anything I can do via remote support.
Swine flu and rush to get better - rtj70
Tamiflu can apparently make you feel ill.

Can you phone around your customers ASAP and explain the situation. I would imagine most would be understanding.

Get well soon.
Swine flu and rush to get better - Pugugly
I'd avoid mention of the "swine" aspect of it though - some people are odd.
Swine flu and rush to get better - Optimist
I went on the NHS website today put in my symptoms and to my surprise it says I most likely have swine flu >>

I wouldn't take that as gospel if I were you, rattle. Maybe. Maybe not. If it is, the symptoms only last a couple if days, as I understand it, unless you're very unlucky.

I know quite a few people who all know quite a few people and no-one has yet come across anyone with swine flu. Maybe we're all just very lucky.

Swine flu and rush to get better - oilrag
Isn`t it too late for Tamiflu rattle, If you have had it for 48hrs?

If I catch it i won`t be taking Tamiflu and certainly not a swine flu jab (if offered, which is unlikely) none of my friends will take the latter either - although we might if given the topside of £250 as a sweetener.

Hope you are better soon.
Swine flu and rush to get better - Old Navy
Seasonal flu jab - wouldn't have known I had received it, as usual.

Swine flu jab - painful, and arm and shoulder aching for two days, up to now anyway.
Its odd because I don't feel ill like deaths door. However I am usually very active and can't stand being inside. Every time I get out to go to the loo I feel faint and I keep shivering the next and have the a temperature the next minute :(

I won't be taken the drugs because I don't trust them :).

I don't feel as bad as I did on Tuesday night but I feel no better than I did last night either :(

Hopefully if I rest tomorrow I should be fit enough to work by Saturday.

The problem is now everybody is treating me like some Virus and I feel like I am stuck in quarantine being ignored by my family :(
That's fair enough - leaving your food, drink, magazines at the door are they ?
Not quite at least I have a smartphone and Ubuntu by my bedside :)

It was last night I knew I was quite badly ill when a mate asked if I was going down the pub, I said no I didn't feel well. The last time I refused a visit to the pub was in 2003 - it was the day after coming out of hospital after an operation which left me in severe pain for a couple of weeks.

I've been a lot worse than this, it is just so frustrating not being well enough to work though.

Swine flu and rush to get better - bell boy
i reckon its all the bugs in the machine that finally got you
cheer up you didnt have to buy a round ;-)
Sods law isn't it, I switch my laptop from Vista to Linux and then I get a virus :(
Swine flu and rush to get better - dimdip
So there are viruses for Linux? Shows it's a proper platform now ;) Hope the 'flu clears up soon
Swine flu and rush to get better - Altea Ego
TBH honest Rattle, one of the side effects of the flu is that appears to have improved the spelling, grammar and puntuation of your posts.
puntuation - feeling poorly AE ?
No I dont have flu so my speeling is awful
Swine flu and rush to get better - jbif
... went on the NHS website today put in my symptoms and to my surprise it says .. >>

When I tried, it said: MBP factitious [spelling is correct]. ;-)

Sounds bad.
Sounds bad. >>

Just what I wanted to hear! Trust me, it is really awful, painful and you would not wish it on your worst enemy. :-)
>> Sounds bad. >>
Just what I wanted to hear! Trust me it is really awful painful and you
would not wish it on your worst enemy. :-)

>

MANFLU!
MANFLU! >>

No, that is playground stuff compared to MBP factitious - look it up!

well I suppose i could phone in sick with MBP factitious. Its sounds better than Manflu tho both are all in the mind.
Swine flu and rush to get better - Lud
painful and you would not wish it on your worst enemy.

Oh yes I would. I came close to rejoicing once when I heard someone had died.
Keep that doll with pins in it by your bed do you Lud?

Swine flu and rush to get better - Lud
Don't believe in necromancy AE. I just know whether I'm pleased or not when some carphound kicks the bucket.

Back in the sixties, when that clever but unwise fellow Enoch Powell hitched his wagon to the racist star, or seemed to, a friend of mine had a prototype mould made of the fellow's face - remarkably fine piece of work it was too, too good for the purpose really - with the scheme in mind of marketing the Chocolate Enoch. He went off the idea in the end.

My psychoanalyst was against the idea and asked: 'What does a brown object of about that size remind you of? Is it a thing you would want to put in your mouth?'

When I mentioned it to my wife's grandmother, she shook her head and said it was a horrible idea, adding with a faraway look in her eyes: 'I wouldn't bang nails into Hindenburg either...'

Evidently the British were still into necromancy just a century ago.
Swine flu and rush to get better - bathtub tom
I worked with a guy who's favourite sick note was dire rear.

He was only challenged once and said he was describing the symptons, not the disease.
Swine flu and rush to get better - Optimist
I worked for an organisation which translated all common ailments into numerical codes so they could be reported online.

But this crept into daily conversation so you'd find people saying " I thought I had a touch of 42, then realised it was 28 all the time."

I suspect rattle has 106.

what happened when you phoned in with a 69?

Swine flu and rush to get better - Robin Reliant
what happened when you phoned in with a 69?

You've probably blown it...

Swine flu and rush to get better - Big Bad Dave
"what happened when you phoned in with a 69"

Ask yourself, what would Hattie Jacques do?
........bin this thread...
Swine flu and Vaccination - Armitage Shanks {p}
Just to summarise the above, as a chap who works in the NHS, the side effects of taking Tamiflu can be as bad as the flu itself but taking it may shorten the nastiness by 24 hours. If you have had the symptoms for over 48 hours the Tamiflu is of no help. I have had the winter flu jab for the last 10 years, without side effects and without getting flu. This may be a coincidence and nothing to do with having the jab. The NHS is offering me the swine flu jab and based on my experiences in the past I am inclined to take up the offer.

They haven't helped themselves by calling it "Swine" flu and using the word Pandemic which some readers of the tabloids understand as a posh way of saying Panic! I am having the jab on Tuesday and I'll add to this if there is anything to report or start a new thread.
Swine flu and Vaccination - Old Navy
>>I am
having the jab on Tuesday and I'll add to this if there is anything to
report or start a new thread.

See my 16:46 post, the swine flu jab is in a different league.

Edited by Old Navy on 12/11/2009 at 20:39

Swine flu and Vaccination - Rattle
Just a little update, still feeling ill not as bad as yesterday but still very drugged up. The recovery is only half way there I think :( I can't see myself back in work till Monday now, and tomorrow will be my first Saturday night at home in years.

Just so greatful I have the internet otherwise I would crack up with boredom, these four wall gets boring after three days.

Anyway I have now worked out where I got it from. Last week I did a job for a customer to replace her router, she was a doctor, she kept coughing everywhere and said she felt very ill..... :(

Swine flu and Vaccination - perro
Actually comrade Rattle, 'they' reckon one should drink plenty of fluids when one has the flu, and if my memory serves me well - beer is fluid :-)
Swine flu and Vaccination - Rattle
hehe don't tempt me :) Beer is actually the last thing in the world I feel like now, I do have a craving for a McDonald's burger though. I am getting slightly worried about my car battery too :( Its not been driven since Tuesday and that was only for a mile trip so (2 x half miles). I didn't know I was ill then but just felt lazy and didn't have the energy to walk, now I know why.
Swine flu and Vaccination - perro
>>> I do have a craving for a McDonald's burger though <<<

You may well feel even better come the morrow, if you do decide to go out 'on the razzle' stick to the lower alcohol beers.
Good to hear you're on the mend.
Swine flu and Vaccination - legacylad
I went down with this bug myself. Even large doses of 'Bene & hot' did no good, so I went to my GP who diagnosed 'swine flu'. He cured me and I came away with 'gammon flu'..........
Swine flu and Vaccination - Stuartli
>>He cured me and I came away with 'gammon flu'......>>

What did the quack give you for the rashes?
Swine flu and Vaccination - bell boy
What did the quack give you for the rashes?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>oinkment?
Swine flu and Vaccination - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks for that ON. I guess, as I am in daily direct contact with possibly infected people I shall have to put up with the side effects and have it. My GP doesn't seem to have heard of it and the NHS are offering it to all employees so I think I have to take them up.
Nokia 6301 output to stereo - maz64
My work phone, a Nokia 6301 (Orange-specific 6300 I believe), has a 2.5mm headphone socket. I've just bought a cheap 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter and a 3.5mm audio lead and used these to connect the phone to the line-in socket on the Pure DMX-20 mini 'hi-fi' (sorry Rattle :-) in the kitchen.

However, when I play some music on the phone, it still comes out of the phone's own speaker, and not out of the Pure.

Is the Nokia doing something clever and detecting I'm not using genuine Nokia headphones, or have I just got a dodgy converter/lead (total cost ~£3 inc. p&p)? Or something else?
Nokia 6301 output to stereo - Rattle
When you plug it in there should be a menu asking what you want to do, I think you need to select headphones (I don't think there is a line out option).

I have a 3.5" jack on mine so never needed to try it.

PS I will let you off the Pure, I have seen far worse :)
Nokia 6301 output to stereo - dimdip
Is the socket/jack on the phone is actually a 3-way for a microphone as well? In which case your 2-way adapter plug might not be long enough to disconnect the speaker switch in it.
It would depend on the exact conditions. However the far connector should be the ground, with the notches actually carrying the data signal in this case analogue music. So it could well be its not long enough full stop but I am pretty sure its all standard apart from notches.

I am sure I have had a Nokia working with a 2.5" connection. It would have been one of those adaptors too because the first thing I do with the headphones they come with his bin them.

Edited by Rattle on 12/11/2009 at 20:06

Nokia 6301 output to stereo - SpamCan61 {P}
I'm not familiar with the 6300 but on all the Nokias I've used a little headphone icon shows up on the display when headphones are plugged in, is this happening on your phone?
Thanks for the suggestions - it inspired me to try again, and this time I noticed a prompt asking whether to use the headphone mic or not, but the prompt disappeared and appeared a couple of times. The headphone symbol also appeared/disappeared on the display.

So I tried playing the music again and this time it worked. I guess there's a dodgy connection somewhere in the chain - not sure whether it's the 2.5-3.5mm converter or the phone socket itself. Once the music is coming through, it all seems fairly stable - I can pull the converter out a bit and it keeps playing ok.

Problem solved - thanks again.
Its a simple switch that is activated when you insert the plug into the socket, it sounds like something is loose.
Its a simple switch that is activated when you insert the plug into the socket
it sounds like something is loose.

Actually I'm not too bothered about my phone - leads are for connecting son's phone to the stereo we've got him for his upcoming birthday. I'll see if I can try his phone out with the leads and the Pure some time when he's not using it.
Actually I'm not too bothered about my phone - leads are for connecting son's phone

(which is a 5310)
What gripper for a carpet on a carpet? - smokie
We had an offcut from the hall carpet cut to shape and edged to put on top of the carpet inside the front door. The carpet layer used a sheet of material with sticky on each side which was fine for a while. But a while I had to take it up for something, and it's never been the same since - it gradually rucks up.

The carpet shop gave me another sheet of their stuff, which didn't seem very sticky, and didn't hold it down. I've tried double sided carpet tape, and also a light spray of aerosol glue (the type they use to stick down foam backed carpets). All to no avail.

The carpet is good quality hessian backed etc. It is medium pile. Anyone have any suggestions as to how best to stop the mat moving? I've seen stick on strips with studs underneath - is that likely to be any good?
What gripper for a carpet on a carpet? - Altea Ego
You tack stich strips of velcro (the hooks side not the loops side) to the backing of your mat.. A strip all the way round the edg of the mat.
What gripper for a carpet on a carpet? - FotheringtonThomas
If you've got floorboards, hold it down with tin tacks.

A far better way would be to make it into a feature - cut out the carpet under it, fit metal door bar (square edge single), and drop your edged piece into it (or replace it with rubber-backed coir matting).
What gripper for a carpet on a carpet? - Altea Ego
If you've got floorboards hold it down with tin tacks.

GRRRRRRRR some of like to make a feature of the floorboards later.
Mobile phone query - Martin Devon
On an offer from Orange what are additional 'IDD' minutes.

MD
Mobile phone query - drbe
International Direct Dialling?
Mobile phone query - Martin Devon
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess this will sound stupid, but does that allow calls to anywhere, specifically here (to mobiles)??

regards..M
Mobile phone query - Optimist
Orange website says:

IDD calls to standard numbers in the countries listed at www.orange.co.uk/callabroad will be charged in one minute increments.

Wheres Granada gone? - billy25
Last night sometime, On our Skybox, ITV1 Granada has been replaced by ITV1 Central. This is so out of our region its 30mins wasted! - We used to get Granada Reports, we now get Central Today???

Anybody know where Granada has gone and how do i get it back please?

T.I.A

Billy

Edited by billy25 on 13/11/2009 at 18:23

Wheres Granada gone? - SpamCan61 {P}
That's weird the ITV1 region on channel 103 Sky should only be determined by the postcode the card was registered at, unless Sky have suddenly changed their minds about your postcode.
Wheres Granada gone? - L'escargot
"The dawn in the sky greets the day with a sigh for Granada,
For she can remember the splendor that once was Granada.
................."
Wheres Granada gone? - 1400ted
I never bother with it, BBC Look Northwest gives a much classier news.

Ted

Edited by rtj70 on 14/11/2009 at 00:01

>>I never bother with it, BBC Look Northwest gives a much classier news.<<

O`im not that posh! - an me needs my daily dose of Lucy (Meacock) an Fred (Talbot)!!

Some Bounder rattling on about Wolverhampton or Liecester just isn`t on!

I`ve just noticed as i type that the "Telephone" light has just come on the skybox!! - Maybe Granada is in "Homing" mode!! - if not.....what is it doing??
Wheres Granada gone? - PhilDS
Sky do software and EPG updates overnight hnce why the telephone light has come on.

You could try reinstalling the box. Go to Services, System Set Up, press 01 and Enter and choose New Installation. It may just return you back to your local ITV station. There is no harm in doing it at all.

Also, have a look at channel 993 as I think that is supposed to be the other ITV station that is local to you. Mine is ITV London and I live in Bucks
Wheres Granada gone? - Robbie
Last night sometime On our Skybox ITV1 Granada has been replaced by ITV1 Central.

SQ

Do you subscribe to Sky or just Freesat from Sky?

If the latter, have you received a new Sky card, i.e. a white card without the little house.

The card determines which region you receive according to your postcode. If you subscribe to Sky you will need to contact them.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/11/2009 at 15:20

Thankyou PhilDs, that seems to have cured if! ;-)
channel 993 just brought up Ladies bottoms doing wierd and wonderfull things!!!!! i was not impressed ;-) ;-)

cheers all,
Billy

Medical question for the oldies - L'escargot
On one of my upper arms I have a roughly circular scar, approximately 25 mm diameter. I know it's the result of having had a vaccination or inoculation (or other treatment) when I was young but what was the likely purpose of the treatment? Younger people don't seem to have these scars.
Medical question for the oldies - bell boy
wasnt it for 4 things?
tb etc
my dad refused to let me have this at the time and it did me no harm i say it did me no harm-------
Medical question for the oldies - gordonbennet
I seem to remember there being the BCG jab/test whatever that was, around the time a doctor put his hand down your pants and checked all was ok....i had the cold hand treatment but not the BCG:-)

Edit..Well found OC.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/11/2009 at 10:50

Medical question for the oldies - old crocks
gb, I don't remember the cold hand treatment but maybe just as well!
Medical question for the oldies - old crocks
Is it from the BCG inoculation. I remember it as a ring of needles in something like a reversed pickle fork.

Details here - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_Calmette-Gu%C3%A9rin
Medical question for the oldies - rtj70
It's the BCG (vaccine against TB). You only got it if you had a negative reaction to the needle test (mantoux) that old crocks mentions.

I remember having two injections for BCG and the nurse that injected me did it in two places on my left arm so I have two scars.
Medical question for the oldies - mjm
It's for smallpox. There were some outbreaks in the early 60's I think and innoculation was required to travel to some parts of the UK.
Medical question for the oldies - daveyjp
I have the BCG scar. Apparently it's not given as a matter of course anymore as it's effectiveness was questioned.
Medical question for the oldies - L'escargot
I remember having two injections for BCG ......

I don't remember the injection at all. My guess is that it was during WWII.
Medical question for the oldies - jbif
Distinguishing a BCG scar from a Smallpox scar. BCG Scar
www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tbpc-latb/pdf/recognition-bcg-...t

Medical question for the oldies - Altea Ego
Distinguishing a BCG scar from a Smallpox scar. BCG Scar

I have both!
Medical question for the oldies - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a scar like that and my recollection is that it was from a wartime smallpox vaccination.
Medical question for the oldies - Pugugly
AS,

May originate from the fear that the Germans were going to use Smallpox as a biological weapon ??
Medical question for the oldies - Armitage Shanks {p}
Good point PU. I was too young to realise that. Another recollection is of sitting in a circle and wearing protective goggles, round a U/V lamp. Good for our health in general and something to do with vitamins? Bottled orange juice and cod liver oil, radio malt, blackout curtains, gas masks, ITMA. Is there no end to the happy memories?
Medical question for the oldies - Manatee
I have the smallpox vaccination scar. It dates from the winter of 1961/2 when I was eight. There was an outbreak of smallpox centred on Bradford where my youngest brother had been having treatment for leukaemia; because of our family's potential exposure the vaccination squad came to our house and injected us all.

www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=41910

Amazing to think smallpox has now been eliminated.
Medical question for the oldies - deepwith
I thought those marks were from polio vaccinations, which are now taken orally. I know smallpox was a scratch at one time, as was yellow fever.

The BCG was a circle of little pins, but it did not mark. If it became red/inflamed, then you didn't have the jab - instead had to go for repeated X-rays for several years as it indicated you had been in contact, or had had, TB.
Medical question for the oldies - rtj70
The BCG was a circle of little pins

That was the test to see if you needed to BCG or not. If not, that was it. If yes then you got two injections (often in the same location).
Medical question for the oldies - billy25
Me remembers the BCG jab! twas a minijab of six needles on the underside of the arm at the wrist. If it reacted, i.e reddened or swelled. you had the BIG jab!! which hurt like heck, it made the girls cry! - only me an another boy didn`t!!!!
What causes this pipe to fail? - ifithelps
tinyurl.com/yhbqpaz

The above is a link to a 'pigtail' pipe which connects a propane gas bottle to a regulator.

They are commonly used in caravans, in my case in the static in leafy North Yorkshire.

One for each of the two gas bottles, connected to a regulator on the outside wall of the van.

I've had two of these fail recently, and I wondered why?

There's no sign of any external damage, they just stop letting gas through, and the only cure is to buy a new one.

Does the propane rot them from the inside?

I've had no leaks, so perhaps there is some clever fail-safe valve in one end of the pipe or the other?

Each pipe is date stamped, my failed ones are 2006.

I read somewhere you are supposed to replace them after 10 years, if they last that long.
What causes this pipe to fail? - Pugugly
Not freezing are they ??

What causes this pipe to fail? - Old Navy
Not freezing are they ??

The link says that propane is OK for the UK climate but butane will freeze in winter.

Are the pipes actually blocked when you remove them? If so what with? As the regulators are on an outside wall could they be getting rain (ice) in any opening or vent?

Edited by Old Navy on 15/11/2009 at 10:05

Well, they are outside, but propane - orange cannister - is meant to have a higher resistance to frost than butane - blue cannister.

There will be some frosts in January and February when I'm not here, but it's strange the pipes have worked OK for three years, only to conk out within a few weeks of each other.

Doesn't it "run" very cold when flowing thus freezing any moisture in the valves...? Leafy in N Yorks BTW - after "those" southerlies..?
Were these "few weeks of each other" during a cold spell?

Note to Mods - Leave this thread open for a while - PU

Edited by Pugugly on 15/11/2009 at 10:09

Good point PU any residual water will freeze when gas drops in pressure as it is used.
Have you kept the old ones ? Re-fit and test maybe ?
ON,

I just tried blowing through the failed one, and I can get some air through it, although it will not work in situ.

Perhaps the pipe has partly collapsed inside.

There's a sticker on it which says it has a non-return valve and all sorts of warnings about not over-tightening it, or stretching it, etc.

The bottles are usually changed by the staff of the site, and to me, the cannister end was way tighter than it need be.

PU,

I chucked the first failed one away, but I've got the second, so I might just try it again before I buy another one.

Edited by ifithelps on 15/11/2009 at 10:14

Might be your answer - a squashed pipe - I assume these need to be torqued ?
20NM is mentioned on the sticker, but as I say, the site staff seem to use a lot more.

Odd there's no external sign of damage.

The pipe itself is fairly robust, reminds me of flexible hydraulic pipes we used to have on the farm.

The weather could still be a factor, although we've had no frost this caravanning season and the pipes have only failed in the last few weeks.

I shall try blowing through the new one to see if it runs any clearer.

I shall try blowing through the new one to see if it runs any clearer.

Don't forget you will be blowing against a non return valve and it will require some pressure (puff) to open it.
The non return valve may be partially or intermittently seized or has become temperature sensitive, if so, new pipe! And keep a spare in the van. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 15/11/2009 at 10:21

...The non return valve may be partially or intermittently seized or has become temperature sensitive....

ON,

That would explain all the various symptoms, wouldn't it?

I had thought about buying two, but they are, as I say, date stamped, so the clock would be ticking while the spare was lying idle in the van.

But for the sake of a tenner, a spare is probably worth having.
They may be date stamped, but as a temporary fix in an emergency, (no cup of tea), a spare will work!
What is there in the valve's assembly which will effect the "shelf life" I.e. if it isn't fitted it should be ok for years beyon a date stamp ?
I think it will be the rubber pipe which can deteriorate PU.
Oh. I see.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/11/2009 at 10:40

It's gas and I like to keep the job right, but I bet if I looked around the site there would be lots of pipes well beyond their 'use by' date.

There are a couple of caravan places locally, and as it's a fairly standard part, I'm hopeful it's something that will be in stock.

So it's time for a bit of Sunday morning shopping, and no unscheduled diversions to PC World.

Thanks for the replies, and I will update this, er, fascinating thread later.

What causes this pipe to fail? - update. - ifithelps
Two new pipes purchased - one as a spare - at £10 each, and a bit of info obtained from the caravan place.

The gas regulations say these pipes should be replaced at five years, but the man behind the counter said they recommend three.

What sometimes happens is the gas rushing through the pipe when you open the valve can, after a good few times, strip an internal layer of the pipe.

This either blocks the pipe, or the stripped bits are blown into the regulator, blocking that, which is a lot dearer to replace.

I tried blowing through the new pipe and it's a lot easier than the old one, which is clearly bunged up somewhere.

The gold standard solution is braided stainless steel pipes, at £30 a pop, which are OK to be used for 20 years.

Another fascinating gas fact is the connector on the cannister end is a left-hand thread.

No idea why this should be, as it just sits there holding the gas in.

Caravans are just so interesting, aren't they?

Edited by Pugugly on 15/11/2009 at 13:36

Left handed gas bottle thread - old crocks
In answer to ifithelps query regarding the LH thread on his propane cylinder.(vol 324)

For safety reasons, to prevent the interchange of fittings between cylinders containing combustible gas and non-combustible gas, the valves are threaded in opposite hands.

Non-combustible gases like oxygen,nitrogen,argon and air have right hand threads.
Combustible gases like acetylene,propane and mixtures all have left hand threads.

hth

Edited by old crocks on 15/11/2009 at 14:11

Left handed gas bottle thread - ifithelps
...hth...

Certainly does, old crocks.

Thanks.
Left handed gas bottle thread - Old Navy
Caravans are just so interesting, aren't they?>>

PU shifted your post to the last (read only) volume as I was replying.

Static ones may be, mobile ones are a pain, but thats a whole new can of worms. :-)