What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 323 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 324 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 323 Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/11/2009 at 09:36

Freesat (still) - Nsar
In reply to the other thread - I checked out the SKY free to air and it seems you can only get this if you subscribe to 1 of their packages.

So, back to the question can I just plug the dish feed into a Freesat box? I really don't want anything complex, TV is a low priority in our house, hence dumping Sky.

"Dummies guide" style responses most welcome, thanks!

Freesat (still) - Stuartli
People have been/are able to retain the FTA service via their no longer used Sky card.
Freesat (still) - Robbie
I've replied to this on Volume 322
So back to the question can I just plug the dish feed into a Freesat
box? I really don't want anything complex TV is a low priority in our house
hence dumping Sky.
"Dummies guide" style responses most welcome thanks!

Freesat (still) - dimdip
If your Sky box+card doesn't allow you to continue to recieve Freesat channels, then you can make a one-off payment of ~£20 to Sky for a Freesat viewing card.

(FTA and Freesat are not /exactly/ the same, by the way. There are a few more channels available to Freesat that you cannot recieve via an older FTA box.)
Freesat (still) - rtj70
If the old box can be used then surely it makes sense to use it even if a card is needed at £20. Cheaper than a replacement box.

Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?
A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £20. If you?d like to access the interactive services available, you?ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.

Edited by rtj70 on 09/11/2009 at 15:29

Freesat (still) - adverse camber
In answer Nsars question: Yes.

Sky and Freesat are both broadcast on the same satelite, so as long as the dish is pointing to the right place either will be received.

Freesat is an overused name.

I think that this is a reasonably accurate summary:
At one point sky used to transmit the main bbc and itv channels as a part of their offering (in an encrypted form)as part of their packages.
The "Freesat from sky" deal using the sky card allowed these 'free' channels to be viewed without a paid sky subscription, but needing a Sky card (either expired or one of the 'house' cards). This was called Free to View or FTV (because no subscription charge, but the channels were still encrypted so not able to be seen by anyone).

As the various channels got out of their sky contracts they started to be broadcast in unencrypted form from the same satellites (remember sky do not own any satellites - they rent transponders on other peoples)., so the channels became FTA - Free to Air - anyone with a digital satellite receiver can see them (sky boxes are not standard receivers - they have built in encryption, extra channel info and no ability to receive multiple satellites)

The marketing name used by the BBC/ITV consortium is Freesat.

There are still some channels which are tied into sky for broadcasting.

I understand that the sky contracts with bbc/itv around the Freeesat from sky time required that sky make the channels available at no/nominal cost (the £20 card). Now that those channels are really free to air (FTA) sky doesnt do this. The channels which are FTV are imho gennerally tat (just going from the names/descriptions - I do not have and never have had a sky system).

Freesat (still) - adverse camber
Sorry, to be clear - I think the FTA channels are now available without a card on old sky boxes but not on the standard channel numbers.

This is a list of channel numbers for the various channels
www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/skytv_bbc_regions.htm
If these dont work (maybe out of date) there is a mechanism for adding extra channels to the menu. You need the channels broadcast info (pick this up from lyngsat).
www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Just an extra bit of info, I am told by a sky installer that putting any card into a sky box (including invalid cards/tesco clubcards/etc - anything with a chip basically) the sky epg will revert to the what it was with the last valid sky card.

Edited by adverse camber on 09/11/2009 at 16:27

Freesat (still) - Nsar
*baffled*
Freesat (still) - rtj70
If you keep your existing box it may just work. To check this try powering it off, remove the Sky card and power it on. Do you get any channels.

To use it you may need to pay £20 to Sky for the free channels. Bargain I'd say.

Edited by rtj70 on 09/11/2009 at 17:48

Freesat (still) - SpamCan61 {P}
In answer Nsars question: Yes.
Sky and Freesat are both broadcast on the same satelite so as long as the
dish is pointing to the right place either will be received.

Indeed, it's the very same signal from the same satellite irrespective of whether it's being received as part of BBC Freesat ( for want of a better term) or SKY, the only difference is the EPG used to select it.

Robbie summarised the channels available without a card back in IHAQ 322
Freesat (still) - Robbie
I understand that the sky contracts with bbc/itv around the Freeesat from sky time required
that sky make the channels available at no/nominal cost (the £20 card). Now that those
channels are really free to air (FTA) sky doesnt do this. The channels which are
FTV are imho gennerally tat (just going from the names/descriptions - I do not have
and never have had a sky system).

Sky still make their Freesat From Sky card available for a charge of £20. I recently received my replacement f.o.c. because I bought a new Sky box less than three years ago that was subsidised by Sky. I don't use Sky at home, it is for use at my French holiday home. The Sky card allows me to watch Sky 3, Fiver, and Five US which I can see on Freeview here. I have an HD Freesat box at home - best of both worlds without payment.

The OP can cancel his subscription with Sky and, if he has the new white Sky card, will be able to receive Sky 3 etc. on his existing box.

His original post asked if he could just unplug his Sky box and replace it with a Freesat box. Put simply, yes he can.
Freesat (still) - Nsar
Thanks Robbie and all others for taking time to post such detailed replies. I have a new style card and will have a play.

If all fails there is always actally talking to my wife and kids to fall back on if the yawning void of no repeats of Hettie Wainthrop starts to take its toll.
Knee Arthroscopy Advice - Martin Devon
Hi all,

I am supposed to be having a Knee Arthroscopy this week. Some folk have said it is a breeze, but I have also had a couple of reports of problems. My main problem is that I CANNOT afford a load of time off of work. I have been told consistently that I should be back to normal duties (building work) within a fortnight.

Does anyone here have any experience of this surgery please.

Thanks in advance,

Martin.

Edited by rtj70 on 09/11/2009 at 17:49

Knee Arthroscopy Advice - perro
Knee's are funny people Martin + there is an element of risk with ANY operation + you are quite (shall we say) well built but ... you should be OK.
Have a read of these & Good Luck!

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-100160/Me-My-Op...l

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-163682/Arthrosc...l
Yeah Thanks P.

I know only too well about ops having had a Major one (radical Prostatectomy) in 2005 and then SEVEN months off to recover. It broke the bank. I raised this problem cos I just cannot afford much time off. Insurance is just too prohibitive too.

Had lunch today with an old mate and his Wife. She started with an Arthroscopy three years ago. It did no good and is now waiting for OP No. 7. none of which (after the first) were arthurs! All her op's were total mess ups.

Just concerned that is all. Have googled a bit and from what I read I just don't see me back earning in the two week time frame that seems to be the norm, or so I am told.

Thanks again,

Martin.
>>>I know only too well about ops having had a Major one (radical Prostatectomy<<<

Yes, you have been 'through the wars' my friend!!
Is it cartilage trouble? I take it you've had an MRI scan.
>>>I know only too well about ops having had a Major one (radical Prostatectomy<<<
Yes you have been 'through the wars' my friend!!
Is it cartilage trouble? I take it you've had an MRI scan.

Well yes I have had an MRI and the Consultant said and I swear, (?) that he said that he couldn't really see anything on the scan. He showed me the pic etc. and I concurred. However when My Doctor read the C's letter it stated that he could see a tear in the Meniscus. What do I do. I have no fear of the op or anaesthetic, but I do have a fear of not earning. I haven't got this far to be made skint.

Thursday is D day so in fairness to another poor soul on the waiting list I should really make a decision tomorrow. Decisions decisions.

Anyone else out there had it done? Given the age of some of you I presumed that one or two may have been there.

Best regards to all MD
Knee Arthroscopy Advice - Stuartli
>>..a tear in the Meniscus>>

There's an article about Phil Tufnell in the Mail today on his similar injury suffered during Strictly Come Dancing but, unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available on the Mail website.
Knee Arthroscopy Advice - pete&hisgolf
Hi Martin

I had an arthroscopy 4 years ago. I was sore for about 8 weeks at least, but back at work within 2 (I'm self employed).

The length of recovery, and, to be perfectly honest, the value or otherwise of the operation depends very much on the nature of the problem. Sorting out a torn meniscus which is leading to locking/giving way is a relatively straightforward and worthwhile procedure. At the other end of the scale, anything to do with patellofemoral realignment should be approached with extreme caution, in my view (and I've done a LOT of research on this).

What diagnosis have you had?

Best wishes

Pete
Hi Martin
I had an arthroscopy 4 years ago. I was sore for about 8 weeks at
least but back at work within 2 (I'm self employed).

At the other end of the scale anything to do with patello femoral realignment should be approached with extreme caution in my view (and I've done a LOT of research on this).
What diagnosis have you had?

A tear Pete. My Mate's Wife who I mentioned in an earlier post has had the patio f job and she is left in a very very bad way. They have cuffed it up over and over again and then another consultant told her that everything the previous C had done was a complete waste of time.

Your Future in their hands eh!

Thanks for the input Pete.

Best regards.............Martin.
OK, if your friend's wife has had pf surgery that would explain the repeated attempts to put it right. A meniscus tear is a different matter - more straightforward and faster healing time.

However, Many people have a meniscus tear which is asymptomatic. If your knee is locking or giving way, that might suggest the tear is significant and needs addressing. But, if your main problem is pain/discomfort there could be many causes (including referred pain from your back, for example). One thing you might want to think about is the type of consent you give to the surgeon - ie, you might say it's OK for them to tidy up a torn meniscus, but you don't want them shaving your hyaline cartilage or performing microfracture (the latter will have you non-weight bearing on crutches for several weeks).

It's worth noting that there is very little correlation between levels of degeneration in knees and pain - in other words, most of us beyond a certain age have pretty shabby cartilage but it causes us no problems.

Have you fully explored all the options other than surgery (eg, physio)?
Have you fully explored all the options other than surgery (eg physio)?

Will Physio' do any good for a torn Meniscus?

MD
Will Physio' do any good for a torn Meniscus?

If the Meniscus tear is causing the problem, probably not. However if you have other sciatic-related nerve pain then there is a lot going on in your hips/back/legs, which might well be contributing to the knee problem. The surgeon I saw wouldn't operate until I'd had 6 months of physio to see if that could sort the problem first.

Having said that, if you do decide to have the operation then cleaning up a torn meniscus is pretty much the most straightforward knee operation there is. Speed of recovery is variable - at one extreme, people have been known to run marathons a couple of weeks after the operation - but will be influenced by a few factors: (1) the extent to which you follow the surgeon/physio's instructions re post-op exercises and care of the knee (2) striking the right balance between over-doing it and under-doing it in terms of activity (3) keeping a positive frame of mind - there is good evidence that anxiety about the operation can lead to increased/prolonged pain. The knee will feel 'different' and sore for a while after the op, and surgeons can, imho, understate the amount of discomfort and the length of the recovery period, but it will get better - it's a very different operation from the one your friend's wife had.

I don't know whereabouts you are in the country, but if you're in the Southwest there is an excellent physio in Falmouth who would be well worth talking to.

You're also welcome to pm/email me if that would be helpful.

Good luck

Pete
I don't know whereabouts you are in the country .....

SQ

North Devon to be precise. M.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2009 at 00:47

Knee Arthroscopy Advice - rtj70
I have no experience myself or family/friends. But pete says he was sore but back to work in 2 weeks.... you said you're in the building trade. I hope that does not involve any heavy lifting or the op might not be successful due to not resting enough.

Just my 2p worth. All the best with this MD.

PS My wife has knee trouble which will need sorting.
Lots of lifting, twisting and turning, uneven ground etc. 34 years at it. I guess that's where the problem stems from. Can have a good day then several bad ones. It is definitely getting worse. Another problems seems to be a trapped sciatic nerve, the pain through the inner thigh, Knee and Calf and then the outside of the ankle is a joy to behold. Painkillers, (Codeine and Diclofenac) rarely make an ounce of difference. Poor me!!

MD
Maybe its time to throw in the trowel friend :(
Knee Arthroscopy Advice - Old Navy
Time for a change crossed my mind too.
Time for a change crossed my mind too.

And do what? Orthopaedic Sturgeon. Don't egg me on!

M
Knee Arthroscopy Advice - Old Navy
With your good foundation in construction maybe time to pass your skills on.
With your good foundation in construction maybe time to pass your skills on.

Nice one. Find me a youngster with drive and who is prepared to work and I'll gladly do it. I have always wanted to teach the young bucks, but on MY terms and not on the Nanny states terms. Meet the Parent's, tell them what Johnny is in for and then see how many one has left. I, like most here, probably had a bit of a rough ride, but it was fun and it hurt no one. Today they all know their rights, but not their responsibilities.

Marston's Burton beer has provided a brief panacea for the knee.

Thanks to all. Hopefully decision tomorrow regarding Thursday's incision!

Looking like Bottling it!!

Martin.
Maybe its time to throw in the trowel friend :(

Well done. I'll give ya that one. I do like a Boy with a sense of oomer! I'll buy you a pint if you're ever up this way.

Cheers my dears as they zay down 'ere. M
Knee Arthroscopy Advice - billy25

>>Looking like Bottling it!!

What would be the point of that Martin? At this stage (as Pete says) its a relatively straightforward procedure with a reasonably acceptable recovery period.
As you say its getting worse, leaving it longer only means more prolonged periods of pain, less and less mobility, more damage and hence a more in-depth operation, and a longer recovery period. You may also find tourself back at the end of the waiting list at a time when your pain may be at an excruciating level! - bite the bullet and get it fettled now! there is a bright-side! You get christmas home with the family.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Billy
Knee Arthroscopy Advice - drbe
This thread has become quite convoluted.

I had arthroscopy a few years ago - skiing accident. The surgery was successful and I was able to get back to my chosen sport - road running - fairly quickly.

However - you MUST follow the prescribed procedures. Don't put weight on the leg until you are told to. I would imagine a job with heavy lifting etc would be bad news.

Good luck. Do let us know what you do and how you get on.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - maz64
Our Canon Sureshot A75 is on the blink (image in viewfinder goes all weird, and picture looks the same if taken), and we're looking for a cheap replacement. All we want in terms of features is a 3x optical zoom, movie mode with microphone, would prefer AA (rechargeable) batteries, but that's about it I think.

£100 is the limit - £60 would be ideal.

Any recommendations, either particular models, or manufacturers?
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - FotheringtonThomas
I noticed an www.traveler-service.com/xs40usflash/ for £70 in the shop. Quite tempted, looking at the spec. I wouldn't worry about particular manufacturers or models - just the picture you get. If whatever you get ain't good enough, take it back. The one above has a 3-yr. guarantee which is helpful reassurance. It's probably "badge engineering", but don't know what else it's sold as.
I noticed an www.traveler-service.com/xs40usflash/ for £70 in the shop.

Thanks FT. It probably is just badge engineering, but I suspect I'll be told to go for a 'brand'.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - Stuartli
The Aldi cameras are just about OK, but you can get very much better for the same or slightly higher price from the big brand names such as Canon, Fuji etc.

The majority of digital cameras are still made in Taiwan and most are rebadged OEM products.

Megapixels are important, but not as much as the quality of the lens - a top brand camera manufacturer will offer both in the quality and quantity required.

My six or seven year old Minolta 2MP digital camera can produce remarkably detailed A4 prints, but this is very much down to a superb 3x zoom lens.

Don't buy a digital camera on specifications alone - you need to know the ease of use, how it handles and the results it can offer and you can only do this at a specialist outlet such as Jessops.

Check out the Argos website for some bargain buys and also keep an eye on www.morgancomputers.co.uk; unfortunately its recent offer of a particular Nikon model for £75 is now finished.

By the way, Fuji was the first major Japanese optical company to have the vision to realise the future impact of digital photography and planned its retail products on that basis.

Edited by Stuartli on 10/11/2009 at 15:31

The Aldi cameras are just about OK but you can get very much better for
the same or slightly higher price from the big brand names such as Canon Fuji
etc.

Can you tell me which at the same price, 'cos I'm interested. I've got a DC-8600 at the moment, which does give good results (better than a friend's Canon of the same sort of level). I rather want a slimmer one, although the current one is just about OK size-wise, it's over 3 years old.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - perro
>>> My six or seven year old Minolta 2MP digital camera can produce remarkably detailed A4 prints, but this is very much down to a superb 3x zoom lens.<<<

Same with my 5 year old Olympus AZ1 with 3.2MP & 3 x zoom, it takes much better pics than my fairly new FinePix S5800 with its 8MP and 10 x zoom.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - daveyjp
All cameras are pretty similar for this price. Canon, Olympus, Nikon would all do the job. Jessops website has a good system for comparing models.
Jessops website has a good system for comparing models.

Thanks - it's quite fun! I'm liking the look of the Fujifilm Finepix A170, which you can get for £56 from Dixons at the moment. Our first digital was a Fuji and it was cheap and cheerful.
www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=093074

Edited by Focus {P} on 10/11/2009 at 13:41

Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - Rattle
1) Do you need a proper rechargable lithium battery? I much prefer these as with AA's you're constantly have to replace them.

2) What zoom level do you need? Do you need any sort of manual control?

Don't get bogged down with megapixels, the quality of the sensor and lens is far more important. At the sub £100 market I always always prefer yesterdays model as you get much much better value. Megapixels is nothing more than a pointless marketing gimick at this price point, as longs as its 6 megapixels or above you will fine.

If it was my money I would be looking at Nikon, Canon, Lumix and possibly Sony. The lest gasgets or gimicks the better, you just want half decent lens and a good sensor and it is possible to get under £100.

You really do get what you pay for with photography and if you're spending £60 you might as well spent £90 and get a much better camera. Fuji make some decent cameras but its normal to get a big discount with them.

Canon/Nikon/Panasonic Lumix are harder to get discounts on but make better cameras these are the BMW of the camera world. Sony can make some decent cameras but I find them too pricey for what they are.

The other more exotic brands are way out of your budget, so we can forget about Leica etc.
This could fit the bill comrade ~ tinyurl.com/ycdv3z6
Indeed if it as my money it is probably what I would go for. The problem we had when my sister had the same budget is we decided if we got one that took AA's a battery charger is a must that added £20 onto the bill. We ended up going from a £60 a budget and buying a £130 Panasonic Lumix with Lieca lens, can't remember the exact model but it takes some good photographs but has no manual controls so I could not live with it.
Also in responce to replies earlier on. That Aldi special is not really very good value for money and its an unkown quantity. There are plenty of discounts on older models such as Canon and even Fuji. My money by far is on the Canon from Amazon they have very efficient sensors too so don't tend to eat the batteries like some cheaper cameras do.

I buy a lot of cheap crap, cars, computer monitors, cases, food but two things I always believe you get what you pay for more than anything else is HIFI and cameras. Both have similar properties though in that the quality of the components has a direct relation on performance rather than spec.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - bell boy
tinyurl.com/yh3htmr
wife bought basically the same model 18 months ago but she never gets a look in as ive always got it
it runs on aa batteries ,i buy rechargeables from netto and they work together superb
it loads to the computer with no aditional programmes needed
it does movies
it does a blast of pictures in one go
its superb
and i know nought about cameras
a picture i took at the shay harrogate this year with it.....
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/smartiesx3/DSC01318...g
That photo just explains why I hate this megapixel crap. As good as I am sure you camera is you can see when you zoom into the original resolution it becomes very grainy and the picture looses its qualities. It is a marketing con the general public have fallen for :(.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - jbif
That photo just explains why I hate this megapixel ... when you zoom into the original resolution ... >>

Rattle - Can you tell us what was the original resolution? (Don't tell me, you have bell boy's original!)

Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - Old Navy
I think an eloquent optical / digital expert should explain the difference between an optical and a digital zoom and their respective effects.
I think an eloquent optical / digital expert should explain the difference between an optical
and a digital zoom and their respective effects.

Not sure about eloquent, but...

A digital zoom effectively just makes the pixels bigger and chops off the edges to keep the picture the same size. Thus you reduce the picture resolution - it might start to look 'blocky'.

An extreme example - take a picture with a resolution of 4x4 pixels. To digital zoom it x2, you just take the middle 2x2 pixels and double their size. Final resolution is thus 2x2 (large pixels) instead of the original 4x4 (small pixels).

With an optical zoom, the optics do the enlarging ie. the picture falling on the 4x4 pixel sensor changes (is enlarged), but the final image is still 4x4 pixels, so you won't get increased 'blockiness'. The image quality will depend on your optics.

Hope that was better than my 'where posts appear in a thread' explanation :-)

Edited by Focus {P} on 10/11/2009 at 15:14

Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - M.M
Both my kid's digicams bought new this year are on the desk by me.

A Samsung L201 10.2MP bought for about £65 and a Panasonic Lumix FS4 8MP which was just under £80.

The megapixels make no difference for normal use once over 5MP or so. The Samsung has a quality strong feeling plastic case with a nice pink metallic looking back and front... the Lumix case feels a bit weak in comparison and is boring black.

Both have clear large displays. Both have specific Li-ion batteries which hold plenty of charge for an extensive days use (100+ images, flash use and loads of video plus reviewing time)... the Lumix battery annoyingly has to come out of the camera to go in the supplied charger which is another bit of kit to forget.

The Samsung is the easier to use with a more intuative menu/controls. Picture quality is very similar and completely acceptable... the Lumix is the one most likely to get caught out in extreme lighting conditions.

They both have good video performance with again the Samsung having the edge.

Importantly both of them comfortably out-perform my 5yr old Sony that cost around £320 back then.

We are also about due to change the Sony and I'd been looking up to £225... in truth I would be hard pressed to justify anything better than my daughters Samsung.... but I wouldn't have a pink one!
Both my kid's digicams bought new this year are on the desk by me.

Sorry MM - missed this first time around. Thanks for the info.
That Aldi special is not really very good value for money
There are plenty of discounts on older models such as Canon and even Fuji.

I'm interested by that, being tempted by the offer at £70. What's got a better spec., at the same price? I could by persuaded.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 10/11/2009 at 14:09

The Canon at £73 which features something called a known quantity lens. Anybody can buy in a load of cheap parts from China and make a digital camera, but the likes of Canon have is years of exprience in knowing how their own parts work together.

It dosn't matter how good the spec is on paper if the lens and sensor are crap which they usualy are. Look for reviews on that Aldi camera, compare with the Canon :).
I also love the featue digital image stablizer? Right what ever happened to a mechanical one which all decent cameras have :(

Its just full of pointless gimicks, oh and don't be fooled by the fact the memory card is included, 1gb cards cost £3 to buy.

The main problem by far is the lens don't have a brand on them. If any decent company had made the lens they would want to scream about it.

Rember with cameras it is not about spec it is about qualility. You want to be able to take decent pictures in all conditions. Not pay £70 to find that you need a flash in anything less than perfect lighting conditions.

Edited by Rattle on 10/11/2009 at 14:13

I also love the featue digital image stablizer? Right what ever happened to a mechanical
one which all decent cameras have :(

It's expensive, that's what. Can you to find one on any £70 camera??
Its just full of pointless gimicks oh and don't be fooled by the fact the
memory card is included 1gb cards cost £3 to buy.

Who's "fooled"? It's probably a slow card, too, as many are.

The main problem by far is the lens don't have a brand on them. If
any decent company had made the lens they would want to scream about it.

It surely matters anout the *results*?

Rember with cameras it is not about spec it is about qualility. You want to
be able to take decent pictures in all conditions. Not pay £70 to find that
you need a flash in anything less than perfect lighting conditions.

I am not saying that that camera is a very good one - I'm sure there are many at this level that are about even. However, I think your comments are indicative of blinkered thinking.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 10/11/2009 at 14:28

I would just rather have a proper branded one at this price point. You can get a decent Canon with a good spec for £73 so it seems expensive to me. If the Aldi camera was £50 then I would agree with you.

Its like you could have a Proton with all the luxeries or a Ford with hardly anything but I still would take the Ford because I know I could get parts for it in 5 years time and I know if I have a little bump there will be replacement trim in scrap yards.

I've also found in the past a lot of the Aldi specials are not really very good value.
You can get a decent Canon with a good spec for £73 so it seems expensive to
me.

Which one?

Is it a *better* spec than the one on offer?
Thanks everyone. I deliberately didn't specify pixels because I find 2Mp is enough for our snaps, and I don't think you can buy a camera with as few as that.

The rechargeables in our current Canon seem to last a reasonable length of time, and we've already got batteries/chargers, so I'm not that bothered about going for lithium.

The Canon and Sony certainly look worth considering - I'll be running them past SWMBO in the near future.
Ok not you need to go your local camera shop and play with some cameras to get a feel for them :).

Focus. Just noticed your old camera is an A75. I had one on trial before I bought our Sony and the Canon's image quality was excellent... better than the Sony really. Only bought the Sony as the Canon was too big for jeans pockets.

Perhaps you ought to go for another camera in your price range that has good reviews for its image quality as opposed to facilities you don't need or you could end up disapointed. There are some good review sites on the net.

Edited by M.M on 10/11/2009 at 14:47

Focus. Just noticed your old camera is an A75.

To be honest, although the A75 was supposed to be quite good at the time (it was about £200 IIRC), I've never been that impressed with its pictures - nothing wrong with them as such, but I've felt the could be 'better' in some unquantifiable way. Nothing to do with the photographer of course :-)
It's all down to taste of course but I liked the A75 for its accurate restrained colours and subtle light/shade definition which was more in line with our SLR experiences than the Sony we eventually bought. The Sony puts a lot more processing into its images to get a vivid result which isn't always what you want.

It's a shame you can't post images on this site as I have some cracking air to air images of fighter aircraft taken with the A75.

I would say that these days with bigger flatscreen monitors 2MP isn't enough to view properly on the PC... fine for 6x4" prints though.

Edited by M.M on 10/11/2009 at 15:28

You can post images, post them to photobucket and then just post a link to it on here :).

I keep meaning to out and take some good plane pics, never seem to get the chance though. Got the day off today and it should be the perfect time do to some wonderful photography but the weather has canceled that :(.
The Sony puts a lot more processing into its
images to get a vivid result which isn't always what you want.

That might have been it actually - I remember looking at some shots my mum had taken of us with her Fuji and comparing them with some shots I had taken with the Canon, and thinking hers looked more 'vibrant' (don't like the word but seems appropriate here).

BTW nothing to stop you uploading to a photo website (photobucket etc.) and posting a link here.

EDIT: great minds etc.

Edited by Focus {P} on 10/11/2009 at 15:32

Its the old HIFI trick. A lot of the cheaper proper HIFI stuff make the sound really loud and vivid so it sounds very detailed. When you move on to proper HIFI stuff (e.g £300 plus a seperate) all that vibrancy becomes subtle and you hear a lot less but what you are hearing is the original instrunments being played, not all the distortion the equipment has added in the process.

It is the same with cheaper cameras the processer has to add its own stuff to make the picture look good. This means its not quite pure. What Sony and Samsungs are experts at doing is making a cheaper produce seem very good to the average consumer. My parents have a cheap £100 Sony CD player (seperate) and it all sounds fine but you know the processor is adding things to make up for what it can't reply. However at the £100 price point it is all you want.

I have a Panasonic FZ7 which is a dated bridge camera, paid around £230 for it in Jan 2007. Day light pictures are perfect but to get any decent night shot you have to play around for 5 minutes with all the manual controls. A more expensive camera would have done a better job in automatic mode. Most cameras will be full of compromise it is just knowing what you can put up with and what you can't.
Ha I could Photobucket a couple of images but then you'd all see my other secrets....
You could always make another account :). I have lots of pics on Photobucket but none of them are really a secret. Anything I don't want other people to see is not on the web :).
Not back to hi-fi again... :-)

Rattle - I would love to spend a fortune on a good (by your standards) bit of kit. But to be honest I would rather put my money and time into finding music I like - I love hearing one of my favorite songs on my wife's radio alarm clock. Ok it might sound 'better' on a real hi-fi, but for me the quality of reproduction is only a small part of the overall enjoyment.

And I think it's the same for cameras and the pictures they take - I'm more interested in the content than the reproduction (despite moaning about the A75 earlier).

As I've mentioned before when discussing high-spec TVs, Barry Norman says the 3 most important things in a film are 1) the script 2) the script, and 3) the script, and no TV is going to improve that :-)

Ramble over.
I use spotify now, costs £10 a month but is 320kbps which is fine. I have spent as much on music as my HIFI kit, well over £1k. I have bought old LPs which cost £20 each in the past too.

Same with photography I used to take 100's of pictures a month but I am too busy now. I paid £230 for my camera and have taken well in excess of 3000 photographs on it. I just like to get the best kit I can afford without it affecting other parts of life.

The problem lately is the weather is stopping me doing what I enjoy, I needed a proper day off today (hence all my posts) but I should be out taking lots of wonderful photographs but it never stops raining.

Also my £230 camera is now three years old and I have no plans to replace it. As it has 12x and optical stablisation it is perfect for the shots I mainly do - buildings.

As for TVs the really odd thing is I never really got it, I use my 22" PC monitor for my TV and some people would find the quality awful but I don't mind.

You are completly right, no point on paying a lot for equipment if it dosn't get used.

Edited by Rattle on 10/11/2009 at 16:02

Ahh so you perhaps thought the A75 a bit bland... that's easy then as you'd be well suited by the current £60-£80 Samsung and Sony models.

Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - pda
>>>>>but I should be out taking lots of wonderful photographs but it never stops raining.<<<<<

Go and walk in the rain rattle, it's a wonderful solitary thing to do.
Raindrops make the music and people stay at home:)

Pat
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - Old Navy
Nothing wrong with rain, Rattle. Cameras work in the rain, its liquid sunshine, no rain and you would be living in a desert.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - adverse camber
consumer stuff like this I always look at sites like hotukdeals to see what offers are on.

1st page shows Fuji Finepix A170 on sale at ASDA for £53 - Any good?

The Fujifilm FinePix A170 Compact Digital Camera is a new addition to the hugely popular A-series from Fujifilm. It has a resolution of 10.2 megapixel, a 3x optical zoom lense and a Panorama mode allowing you to take three consecutive photos and then seamlessly creates a wide shot from them. The A170 incorporates Scene Recognition AUTO which intelligently identifies and recognises 6 different scenes Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Backlit Portrait, Night and Night Portrait and then adjusts the cameras settings to give the best picture. The Face Detection technology works alongside the Portrait mode to recognise any faces in shot and adjust the focus and exposure accordingly to give magnificent results. The video capture mode creates 640 x 480 pixel VGA video clips with sound making sure you can capture things exactly the way they happen. The Fujifilm FinePix A170 is a stylish and affordable way to take the perfect picture.

Full Specification
Colour Silver
Model Number A170
Picture Resolution (Megapixels) 10.2
LCD Screen Size (inch) 2.7
Optical Zoom 3x
Built In Flash Yes
Battery Type 2xAA
Face Detection Technology Yes
Red Eye Reduction Yes

More: Asda Direct and George dealsTags: (Add a tag)

1st page shows Fuji Finepix A170 on sale at ASDA for £53 - Any good?

Thanks AC - in fact that was my first suggestion back here :-)
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=80012&...e
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - smokie
Here's a Lumix in your price bracket. Special offer which may not be around too long.

www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/531111/PANASONIC...S
>>> Here's a Lumix in your price bracket. Special offer which may not be around too long.

Good camera @ a Good price!
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - ifithelps
Some of the cheapies - particularly those with AA or AAA batteries tend to be a bit chunky.

Worth going to a shop to have a look at the different sizes.
Good camera @ a Good price!

Another one for the list - thanks chaps.
>>I would say that these days with bigger flatscreen monitors 2MP isn't enough to view properly on the PC>>

Actually you are probably viewing .jpeg files in such cases...:-)

Even a top range, state of the art LCD or plasma TV only reproduces about 2MP (1920x1080) with present HD transmissions.

>>Actually you are probably viewing .jpeg files in such cases...:-)

Isn't that what everyone does?

And just to explain when I said 2mp was a bit marginal for modern flatscreen monitors it seems to me gloss screen monitors in the common 19"-23"size will soon show flaws in images with smaller file sizes. You only need to zoom in a fraction and digital blockiness can show.

Having had a SLR with several lenses for years the main disadvantage to a digital point and shoot is the lack of decent zoom.... so I make up for it with cropping on the PC which soons shows faults as mentioned above.
>>Having had a SLR with several lenses for years the main disadvantage to a digital point and shoot is the lack of decent zoom....>>

As someone who also has had various SLRs and a wide range of lenses over the years (I worked in a professional capacity), the one thing I would never dream of doing is buying a point and shoot or any other type of camera without a proper viewfinder.

Fancy trying to cover a wedding or a Premier League fixture holding a camera away from your face, viewing a small screen (perhaps in sunshine) and trying to capture critical shots...:-)
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - rtj70
Fancy trying to cover a wedding or a Premier League fixture holding a camera away from
your face, viewing a small screen (perhaps in sunshine) and trying to capture critical
shots...:-)

On a bus on the Amalfi coast a few weeks back I was getting some good pictures (even through the windows) using my dSLR. I was using it as a point and shoot and sorted out good and bad photos later. Person behind with a point and shoot camera was cursing - their camera was not focussing quick enough to take many photos at all. The dSLR as you'd expect was finding this no problem - I even showed off by taking a few shots per second ;-)

So more reasons for having the dSLR apart from excellent pictures (even if then downsized to HD TV resolution) due to a decent lens and large sensor. Good in low light and fast focussing.
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - Altea Ego
> On a bus on the Amalfi coast a few weeks back I was getting some good pictures

all i got was a parking ticket in Positano!
Sub-£100 digital camera recommendations? - rtj70
We used the local bus for 6 Euros for the day from outside the hotel (24 hr ticket). To/from hotel too. Others booked trips via the holiday company for more like 40-50 Euro each and had to get up early to be taken to Sorrento first.... we got the bus at the hotel at 9am :-)
>>> Rember with cameras it is not about spec it is about qualility. <<<

You speak with Vulcan logic comrade, trouble is its wasted on some Earthlings :)
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - L'escargot
About 18 months ago we were adopted by a young cat which just came into our garden and decided it liked us better than wherever it had been before. Although it seemed to crave human company (rubbing round our legs etc) it wasn't at all keen on being handled and has only just recently become fairly sociable. We can now stroke it without risking getting scratched or bitten when it's had enough. Yesterday I tried to pick it up for the first time but failed because the cat quickly let me know it didn't like it. It may have been my technique, which was both hands under its stomach. What's the best technique?
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - Rattle
Do it when they are asleep, that way they are taken my surprise, then quickly stroke the cat. I can pick my cats fine but come to think of it no idea what technique I use. You do have to pick the right moment though.
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - dimdip
You could try first lifting with a hand under his chest between the front legs and then the second hand under the back paws as they become airborne. Most moggies seem happy with that method.

Edited by dimdip on 10/11/2009 at 19:00

What's the best way to pick up a cat? - Stuartli
You could try first lifting with a hand under his chest between the front legs and then the second hand under the back paws as they become airborne. Most moggies seem happy with that method.>>

This is the method I've used over decades, with the slight variation of supporting under the front legs rather than a hand under the chest. But you first have to ensure that any cat has complete trust in you and that takes time with one you've only just begun to know.

If a cat will let you stroke or rub its stomach, then you are trusted - it's an area which they feel is vulnerable and very definitely not a way of trying to pick up a cat. You probably wouldn't like being scooped up in such fashion...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 10/11/2009 at 19:36

What's the best way to pick up a cat? - smokie
I had a semi wild cat for some years. You could never be sure that it wasn't going to bite (well, more of a warning nip than a full-on bite), and it hated being picked up. Even stroking it's rear quarters (um - I mean the bits at the top of it's back legs, not it's penny!!) always provoked a hostile reaction.

Once I'd spent over £400 trying to cure him of a very unpleasant and persistent case of incontinence (which affected most of our carpets) I decided enough was enough, and I finally got to show him that it was really ME that held the power...

So when current cat plays up, I just remind him gently what happened to the last one...
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - ifithelps
If you just want to move the thing the scruff of the neck is surprisingly effective.

I've picked up many cats this way and none has ever exhibited any distress.
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - JH
I'll second that method but from that starting point you can roll the cat easily over onto it's back or keep it the "right way up". Don't go for option 1 until you trust one another, you're asking for a face full of claws!

JH
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - bathtub tom
DON'T

Cats don't have owners, they have slaves.

I've adopted a few cats that have appeared in my home. If they like it'll they stay!

If the've got unwelcome visitors and they don't like it they go.

Do what you want and don't listen to SWMBO.
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - pda
Totally agree Tom:)
I've tried to pick our cats up over the years and it's always obvious that they don't really like it. Understandable really as it restricts their 'free spirit' and I can identify with that.
If you have to, then support their back legs under the paws as well, but don't ever try and hold the cat if it wants to get down.
Once it builds up the trust that it can get down when it wants too, it may just stay longer!
They are contrary creatures:)
It's no secret that I sometimes get intimidated on these forums ( arthritic hands don't type well after an hours gardening in the cold), but just when it gets bad you go and show me what a bunch of softies you are on here and I see another side to you all:)
Animal lovers are nice people.

Pat

Edited by pda on 11/11/2009 at 06:21

What's the best way to pick up a cat? - Martin Devon
We had a big Neutered Tom called Paddington and a lovely Gentleman he was too. I used to get him by the scruff of the neck and swing him up into my arms and he laid there and purred like a big baby. He never once tried to turn the 'right way up' during the flight. He was a rescue jobby and an absolute delight. If I took the dogs trawling the local fields he would follow all the way some 50yds behind. He's been gone nearly Twenty years now (run over and left) and I still think of him. Just the three Labradors now. Nine years, Nineteen months and nine weeks!

Deep joy!!!!!!!! Martin D.
What's the best way to pick up a cat? - pda
We took on 3 rescue cats almost 3 yrs ago who had to be kept together and were 9 and 11 yrs old then. We only went to get one cat but these had been at the RSPCA for 6 weeks and because they were old and so very scared of strangers, no-one wanted them.
Mr pda was at home at the time unergoing chemo and we really didn't want any extra worry but we both felt so sorry for them.
We took them home and Gus ( Siamese neutered Tom) bonded with him straight away and they went through the bad times together with Gus never leaving his side.
What an excellent therapy it wa for Mr pda too, he suddenly had a reason to make himself feel a bit better.
Katie ( long haired alleycat female) and Tottie ( siamese female) lived behind any furniture they could find for 6 weeks only coming out to feed and use the litter tray at night but they had lived together all their lives and eventually they realised that Gus trusted us and they soon began follow suit.:)

Sadly we lost Tottie to congenital heart disease last January after very expensive, but worthwhile vets treatment and we still miss her so much.
The family is incomplete because the came as a package and part of it is missing.

We went to the CPL and RSPCA kennels last weekend to 'think' about getting another one but we're not sure if an outsider will 'fit in' with them?

Having said that, I know that if there had been a hopeless, ugly sad face there that no-one wanted we would have brought it home!

Pat