What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speeding (mostly excluding cameras) Volume 51 - Pugugly
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) Vol 50 is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeds & speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking HERE

Edited by Pugugly on 01/11/2009 at 12:56

Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Dutchie
Sunday times article thousands of speeding motorist may be able to escape fines and penalty points on their licences thanks to the postal strike.In what is being seen as a test case ,a High Court judge has quashed the conviction of a driver because the statutory police letter failed to arrive within the 14 day legal deadline.It had been delayed by the Royal Mail industrial action.Any thoughts backroomers?
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Peter D
I am surprised that a NIP was issued, received late and managed to get to the 'High Court' for a decision in less time than the strikes have been in place even the first one at the Bristol Office. There may be more to the case thean the newspaper has reported. Regards Peter
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Hamsafar
Google "Postal strike helps speeding motorists escape fines" - it's true.
Apparently the offence was back in 2007 during the last Postal strike and he has taking it to the High Court and won. He should receive a medal.
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - SteelSpark
Whatever people think of speeding, I don't think that it is great for people to get off on technicalities. Fine, if somebody made a mistake in the process (because it makes sure that people adhere to the right process), but not because of external factors (such as a postal strike).

On the subject of speeding, I also need to raise a slight objection to something that Jeremy Clarkson said on an old episode of Top Gear (shown on Dave yesterday). He said that only 4% of accidents on country roads involved excessive speeds. Now, I am not sure if that is true because I have heard much higher figures but, for the sake of argument, let's say that it is. There is a significant flaw in the argument, specifically that speed limits (and speed limit enforcement) likley reduce the number of people who speed.

The number of murders involving a gun is probably quite low in the UK but probably much higher in the US. The possible reason? That it is a lot easily to get hold of guns in the US.

So, if people were allowed to speed (or have guns), the number of speeding related deaths (or gun related murders) could well be a lot higher.

Now, I put a lot of probablies, and maybes in their, because I don't have figures to back this up, but to say that speed is an infrequent cause of accidents in a country where speed enforcement is fairly strict, doesn't seem to be evidence that speeding isn't a significant risk factor when it occurs.

What we really need is figures from a country with standards for roads, vehicles and driver training like the UK, but where speed limits are not enforced. Is there such a country?

Just my two cents.

Edited by SteelSpark on 01/11/2009 at 13:19

Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Westpig
SS,

Speed on its' own or as the Primary factor is a smallish percentage of all the causes of accidents, trouble is the other factors are often ignored or have less resources put towards them, than speeding does.... and don't seem to have the same outcome at court after a prosecution.

By concentrating laws, sometimes unnecessarily, on speed, you inconvenience the law abiding who would like to travel faster, but will not, because they're law abiding...or.. you have people who are generally law abiding, but will choose to ignore some elements if they feel they're excessive...so you have people who'd otherwise be completely law abiding becoming habitual law breakers...albeit at the lower end of the spectrum.

The constant law breaker in society, who doesn't really care about any law, let alone speeding, is the one most likely, statistically, to have an accident (with or without speed, although often with)...but will usually have a reason other than simple speed involved e.g. drink/drug driving, dangerous driving, defective vehicle, etc.

Further to my previous post, I think we should differentiate between the different levels of speeding

e.g. simple speeding, careless speeding, dangerous speeding, drink drive speeding etc

the existing laws within the Road Traffic Act could be used to define it

then the vast numbers of hard done by people in this country, wouldn't be lumped in with the criminal, who truly cause most of the problems

so for example, if you drove at 36mph through a 30 mph limit and there were no other danger factors, you'd fit into the 'simple speeding' category and have a penalty to fit e.g. £60 fine, no points

if you drove through the same limit at the same speed, but when the kids were on the way to school, it was wet, dark and you had a bald tyre...then you'd fit another category...with a penalty to fit inc penalty points

conversely, if you drove through there at 50mph on a bright sunny Sunday morning with no one else about...you'd still fit the 'simple speeding' category, because of the otherwise lack of danger

finally, you drive your stolen car through there at 80mph, weaving in and out of all the late night inebriated revellers, being chased by police...you hit the highest category and go to prison, for quite some time....which doesn't seem to happen at the moment.

Edited by Westpig on 01/11/2009 at 17:50

Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Rattle
I don't get it at all, have 2" inches of wheel in a box junction misjudging the clearence gap get 3 points. Speed 3mph over the limit get 3 points. Drive a stolen car yet another pointless ban and another pointless supervision order which they won't stick to. A day later banned drive in their next stolen car.
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - ijws15
e.g. simple speeding careless speeding dangerous speeding drink drive speeding etc

Arn't there only two categories . .

Deliberate and accidental.

Now ALL deliberate should be treated harshly.

Accidental where you are just over is the one which should be treated more lightly.

Now the 6 million $ question . .

How do you define and enforce it - impossible so we stick with what we have. It could be much worse.
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Armitage Shanks {p}
Steel Spark a very interesting and thought provoking post! Do we have the time and money to conduct a study to investigate your ideas? And yours Rattle!

Westpig, I think you deal with the law in your daily life? Don't you think it is complicated enough without introducing sub-categories or grades of speeding? The cameras can't give an opinion and surely many cases would have to go to court, evidence would have to be produced as to traffic volumes at the time and the road conditions and weather. I think it would get really complicated and expensive and now that motorists who win their cases may have to pay costs there is little incentive to make a fight of it, IMO!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 02/11/2009 at 09:50

Don't you think it is complicated enough without introducing sub-categories or >>grades of speeding?

Yes, true...but the Police are public servants, therefore there to do as directed by laws made by Govt. There are plenty of sub categories for most other laws, so why not this one?
The cameras can't give an opinion

....and therein lies the problem

>>and surely many cases would have to go to court evidence would have to be >>produced as to traffic volumes at the time and the road conditions and weather.

what, as in proper justice

>>I think it would get really complicated and expensive

It doesn't have to be complicated, i'd concede it might cost more, certainly there'd be less revenue from speed cameras. It would depend on whether we want a fair and proper justice system or a one make fits all job....the current system doesn't differentiate and doesn't address the worst end of the market, because they're not traceable by camera

>>and now that motorists who win their cases may have to pay costs there is little >>incentive to make a fight of it IMO!

That recent 'innovation' is truly dreadful. I cannot imagine that will stay.
Now ALL deliberate should be treated harshly.

Why? That goes against common sense and natural justice. Plus it is not what happens with other laws e.g. common assault is dealt with more lightly than ABH, etc.

Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - ijws15
Any deliberate law braking should be treated harshly.

Unfortunately it isnt!
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Lud
You can't explain some things to some people Westpig. Their wiring just can't take it.
You can't explain some things to some people Westpig. Their wiring just can't take it.

I know Lud, but i'm a patient man.

There's some good come out of it though, I now know what my Physics teacher was going through, circa 1976....;-)
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Dutchie
I do agree with Westpig regarding the point system which i feel is unfair.In the Netherlands you be find for speeding but they do not have a point system.The driver can lose his or hers driving licence depending of the severity of the speeding offence.
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Rattle
I have commited a few minor offences when driivng because I am a human being. Done an indicated 25 in a few 20's on some of the more dubious roads if I forget for a second its a 20 limit.

Last week my rear part of the car (about 4 inches) was still on the box junction as I misjudged how quickly the traffic was moving (or rather wasn't) and also thought I had space.

This is things that stick out with me and I slap myself for doing, yet the majority of drivers do far worse as a matter of routine.

What is unfair about the points system is a little mistake which harms nobody can lead to 3 points (for new drivers 6 points and its a retest) yet people can drive dangeriously and get away with it.

Cops are far better than cameras as they can use judgement and will probably conclude that doing 21mph in a 20 zone at 8:30 in the evening is not dangerious driving.
Postal strike helps speeding motorist escapes fine - Lud
I am a human being. Done an indicated 25 in a few 20's on some of the more dubious roads if I forget for a second its a 20 limit.

No doubt you got away with it too, you evil little carphound. It's because of people like you that I hardly dare go out of doors these days. High time the authorities did something drastic about it. I suggest fixed cameras that estimate the speed of a vehicle, photograph its number plate and flash a red light in MI5 and SAS HQs. The law could then take its course, lethal for preference.
21mph in a 20 zone at 8:30 in the evening is not dangerious driving.

This is the kind of thinking that has to be suppressed straight away. You are as bad as that subversive El Qaeda spokesman Professor Nutt.

Mods: can't this Rattle fellow be banned? He is turning this website into an absolute sink of iniquity with his so-called 'liberal' views.
German Speeding Ticket - Armitage Shanks {p}
After a nice day in germany in August I have just had what appears to be the German equivlent of a NIP. It is clearly me (photo was attached). Is this offence something I have to report to my UK insurer and what might the fine be for doing 83 kph in a 60 limit? Not at all like me but the NIP is not lying!
German Speeding Ticket - bathtub tom
>>what appears to be the German equivlent of a NIP

Is it not in English?

IIRC from the Italian traffic violation thread it has to be in your 'home' language.
German Speeding Ticket - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think it may vary from country to country BT. I certainly had a Dutch parking ticket, in Dutch, which came with a note saying, roughly "The translation is up to you" and I ignored it. However I am clearly bang to rights here and I don't plan to ignore it. I might e mail them (address provided) and ask for a translation.

I did think that car hire companies charged these sort of things to one's credit card but this has not happened in this case

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 13/11/2009 at 12:10

Training instead of speed limits - NARU
I've long argued that reducing and reducing speed limits is a poor way of improving road safety. I believe it would be far, far better to have an ongoing training programme for every UK driver - perhaps a day of top-up training [not testing] every 3-5 years.

Why? Because it seems daft to go to the expense of closing roads to find the root causes of crashes when we don't have an effective mechanism for feeding that knowledge back to people. I can be struck off as an accountant for not doing ongoing training every year, but can pass my car test at 17 and not do another day's training - ever!

The top-up training would reinforce the gaps needed, new traffic rules, look for bad habits, etc.

With that in mind, I found the news story on HJ rather interesting today: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=31144 "Driver Training Cuts UK Firm's Crashes By 50%"
Training instead of speed limits - moonshine

Sounds like a great idea to me. The government could also charge VAT on the training so would lap it up - its for road safety, who could complain.

I see drivers everyday who have forgotten the most basic of driving skills, indicators, safe distance etc - speed cameras dont help much with those.

I vote Marlot for PM!
Training instead of speed limits - Westpig
None of us are too old to learn....or be re-taught what we've forgotten.

I think the above is an excellent idea, trouble is the costs can be baulked at by the accountants and no doubt the standard of training can be variable.
Training instead of speed limits - woodster
Marlot: ''Why? Because it seems daft to go to the expense of closing roads to find the root causes of crashes when we don't have an effective mechanism for feeding that knowledge back to people.''

No-one's trying to find information to 'feedback' to others in this situation. 'Feedback' shouldn't be required -the law sets an objective (as opposed to subjective) standard of driving for all drivers. Investigation of an RTC scene is to determine exactly what happened for the benefit of informing HM coroner and gathering ALL facts, to include for a prosecution where the CPS find it necessary.

I suppose I could say then that feedback is available at the inquest and other relevant criminal court.
Average speed cameras - legacylad
Last weekend we travelled down from North Yorks to Stratford (upon Avon, just in case ewe were wondering). On the M1 we encountered roadworks with 'average speed cameras' and similarly travelling back up the M6 to drop off middle girl child in north Lancs. Do these things work? I drove at a constant 50 mph through them, but lots of other drivers overtook me, even though there appeared to be 2? cameras on poles looking down on 3 lanes of traffic. Was I just being over cautious, although I am happy to drive at 50mph where there are signs. Once out of the roadworks section I drove accordingly, although I saw no signs for 70 mph......
Average speed cameras - Ben 10
I brought this subject up before and asked if anyone had received fines for bombing through above the speed limits indicated. Not one replied they had. I don't know anyone outside this forum who has been fined because of these. Is there anyone on here who has been fined? Otherwise like you, having witnessed many drivers ignoring them, must be proof enough they are useless.
Average speed cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
As the cameras do not flash and allegedly work in total darkness due to having infra-red lighting to illuminate vehicles it would seem to be impossible to beat them. However, in the absence of visual cues it is possible that some or all of the cameras are dummies. There certainly aren't many people complaining on this forum that they have been clocked and asking if there are there any loopholes to exploit on the subject. Perhaps we need a Freedom of Information request to get some stats?
Average speed cameras - Lud
Perhaps we need a Freedom of Information request to get some stats?

Or, more likely actually, we all get more and more contemptuous of the dummies until they suddenly turn them on and get lots of us violating the speed limit by 50 or 75 per cent.

Tee hee. Serve us right what? In a pig's ear I mean.
Average speed cameras - Billsboy
I regularly pass through these on the M25 and on the M5 and although some drivers seem to ignore them, they are very much in the minority. Most speeders seem to be locals who know that they have passed the last camera before their exit.
On the whole, most cars stay within the limit and I too was surprised that no one responded to an earlier post on whether anyone had actually received a fine from these.
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of the most effective ways of imposing speed restrictions turned out to be dummies?
Average speed cameras - diddy1234
The average cameras at Hatfield do work
A friend of mine went through at 50mph at 3am and got a NIP !
Average speed cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
Diddy, I think we can take it as read that SPECS installed at/for roadworks are going to work. But if they just appear on stretches of the A14, Huntingdon to Cambridge for example, and continue to appear on stretches of A roads all over the country we can't really be sure can we?
Average speed cameras - M.M
SWMBO admitted a couple of months ago driving through a long term roadworks 40mph limit at 70mph. Nothing in the post so far.... makes you think.
NIP received - query on photos - NVH
Have just received 2 pics from a third party to look at.
Shot in the rear by a mobile camera.

Each pic shows the crosshairs from the camera.
Pic 1 : the crosshairs are actually below the car and measuring the road !
Pic 2 : crosshairs are actually on the rear number plate.

Speed shown as 36mph and distance 120 metres.

Are these actually the points used for the "prosecution" or are they simply an extract from continuous video ?

I know the driver involved and he is paranoid about observing speed limits.

Any advice based on the pics ?
He's going back to check the signage at the weekend.

NIP received - query on photos - alfalfa
Well to get straight to the point I have been stopped for speeding three times (in 40 years driving); twice by unmarked cars and once by mobile speed camera. In each case I was speeding and I knew it. I was fortunate that I was given a polite talking to by the unmarked units and an on the spot fine by an equally polite Gard.

The point is however I was guilty and took responsibility for my actions. No excuses of clear road, just over the limit, unfair to hide the radar etc. Sorry but if you break the speed limit you should accept the consequences.

We all know or should know the limits and we should stick to them. Not agreeing with a law does not give licence to break it. Easy to say that 36 in a 30 limit is OK when the road is quiet but when a child ran straight from a garden in front of my car I was very glad I was going at 30 rather than 36. The parents of the child were even more glad.

The mods could perhaps start a thread "It wasn't my fault" where every one who was caught speeding, parked in the wrong place or caused an accident could post and explain how someone/something else was really the problem.

alfalfa
NIP received - query on photos - Rattle
To be fair there are some 30's which are not obvious and there could have been a problem with the signage. I think it is worth while checking there was a sign. If the sign was clear and the driver missed it then it is his fault.

We all speed occasionaly, blimey I even accidently did 30.001mph in a 30 the other day to which I hold my hed in shame.

Edited by Webmaster on 29/11/2009 at 12:56

Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - paul2007
Hi

This bloke had no excuse whatsoever to be travelling at 104mph in a 50mph zone.

should people breaking the speed limit by 100%/+ be automatically jailed? Alternatively, a madatory 3 year for the first offence?

football.uk.reuters.com/uk/news/LDE6031SB.php

His excuse was damn right feeble!
Footballer guilty of 104mph - Mr.Tee43
Just heard on the news that Ashley Cole was done for driving at 104mph in a 50 limit.He says he was being chased by a Papparazzi.

So, if it is common justice for all, he should be sent to jail to be made an example of, just like
a biker probably would, if he was caught doing the same.

We shall see.

{Merged with a post that's already discussing this}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/01/2010 at 19:34

Footballer guilty of 104mph - dimdip
I wonder whether the speedtrap warnings on his satnav couldn't keep up at that pace?
Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - Rattle
I think all Footballers should be banned from driving full stop. They just seem to think because they are so rich they can drive how they like. 104 in a 50 should be an instant ban.
Not just a ban but a mandatory 3 year ban if first offence, and prison if previous convictions have not expired, eg a previous ban. (i'm not ref to this lad, but general ref)

Edited by paul2007 on 04/01/2010 at 18:51

The problem is money dosn't scare footballers. A find of £100k would be much better surely? If they fined each footballer that every time they got caught by a Gatso the UK will soon become rich again!
Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - ifithelps
No prison for speeding on its own.

When you see stories of, for example, motorcyclists being 'jailed for riding at 200mph', the offence will be dangerous driving - maximum two years, (due to be increased).

Cole has been convicted of speeding which carries a fine and possible ban - hence the warning by the chairwoman of the bench.

Whether a person doing 104 in a 50mph limit could be said to be driving dangerously is an entirely separate question.

Edited by ifithelps on 04/01/2010 at 18:57

Depends on the circustamnces. Dangerious or not this is a clear dis regard for law designed to protect peoples lives. Doing 58 in a 50 is one thing, 104 is just reckless. His speedo was probably on 110 too.
thank you ifithelps!

IMO, by travelling at over the double the speed limit, even in the most favourable conditions deserves a mandatory ban.

having stated the above, it is tempting to go over the 70mph on the motorways especially if you are driving a car capable of 200mph and road appears to be clear.
Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - Westpig
IMO by travelling at over the double the speed limit even in the most favourable
conditions deserves a mandatory ban.

Would that include the ambulance paramedic on his work bike on the way to an urgent call?

....and as posted before....what about the dual carriageway that is in the air over a major roundabout, urban clearway, no pedestrians, no junctions....that everyone assumes is a NSL, but is in fact a 30mph limit......all those people that habitually travel down there mistakenly at 60-65mph, should they be jailed/banned....I think not.
Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - zookeeper
a ban + community service is in the order if you ask me, it really messes up your sundays for half a year, and in Coles case the unwanted media attention and humiliation should make him think twice
Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - dimdip
>>...what about the dual carriageway that is in the air over a
major roundabout urban clearway no pedestrians no junctions....that everyone assumes >> is a NSL but is in fact a 30mph limit......all those people that habitually travel down there >> mistakenly at 60-65mph should they be jailed/banned....I think not.

In fact the A3 near Kingston (which is where this occured i think?) is also quite deceptive being a 3-lane with 50 mph. Doesn't go anywhere near excusing this offence though, obviously.
Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - henry k
>>In fact the A3 near Kingston (which is where this occured i think?) is also quite deceptive being a 3-lane with 50 mph. Doesn't go anywhere near excusing this offence though, obviously.
>>
>>
Well just to put those who are not aware of the area in the picture. Regulars know it well.
I understand it occurred on the Robin Hood Way going North
The A3 is the quickest most obvious route fron London to a certain teams training ground at Cobham so I suggest that most players are very very familiar with that part of the A3.
Going North - Yes it is a 50 limit that starts before the Hook underpass marked by a Gatso. There is another Gatso just beyond the Hook underpass, another ( recently demolished in a crash and awaiting a replacement ) just north of Tolworth, another at New Malden and yet another half a mile further ( before Robin Hood Way starts) and finally a 40 mph Gatso just before the Robin Hood gate of Richmond Park.
About FIVE miles from the first Gatso to where it appears he was noticed!
There is almost a mirror image of Gatsos going South.

So I would not describe these several miles of 3-lane Gatso littered route deceptive.
IMO absolutely no excuse so pay the price.

Not the most likely part of the route to take photos. There is often a gaggle of photographers on the A245 Stoke Road at the entrance to the training ground.

Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - old crocks
tinyurl.com/ye246mw

So he got a four month ban and a £1000 fine and then asked for time to pay!!!!

And launched an appeal.
Speeding By Over 100% of the Speed limit - ifithelps
tinyurl.com/ye246mw

He was probably trying to keep Cheryl away from John Terry. :)
Speed fine of £180,000.00 - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8446545.stm

35mph over the limit in a village.
Speed fine of £180,000.00 - boxsterboy
The fine was geared to his income and previous track (er, sorry road) record for speeding. Surely a far fairer way than our blanket approach?
Speed fine of £180,000.00 - bell boy
apparently it was reported the fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record
i thought they made watches cheese and chocolate
wonder if he will pay it on time
Speed fine of £180,000.00 - Jcoventry
"The man was reportedly caught driving a red Ferrari Testarossa "

The pictured Ferrari the BBC found is obviously not a Testarossa! Someone at BBC doesn't know their Ferraris too well.
Speed fine of £180,000.00 - zookeeper
i still think these people with money should be made to get their hands dirty ....community service. oh plus the fine too
Speed fine of £180,000.00 - David Horn
Two thumbs up from me on this one. :-)
Speed fine of £180,000.00 - Lud
Oh I say... bit steep, what?
Bus and HGV Speed Limits - Bromptonaut
Government have opened a consultation on speed limits for buses, coaches and HGV. In brief the proposals are :-

-Setting a 65 mph limit for all buses, minibuses and coaches with more than eight passenger seats regardless of whether or not they are fitted with a speed limiting device;

- Setting the motorway speed limit at 60 mph for all HGVs over 3.5 tonnes regardless of whether or not they are fitted with a speed limiting device;

- Prohibiting all HGVs between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes and all buses, minibuses and coaches with more than eight passenger seats from using the right hand lane of motorways with three or more lanes.

The press release together with details of how to respond are at tinyurl.com/yl96mvn

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/02/2010 at 21:11

Bus and HGV Speed Limits - movilogo
Can't comment on first, but I thought 2nd & 3rd rules are already in place!