What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 321 [Read only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 322 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 321 Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2009 at 19:43

Cat problem (from Volume 320) - Stuartli
>>...even if it is on trying to make two cats nicer to each other.>>

Cats are territorial animals, even domestic examples. You will regularly see them "marking" their particular territory area and can tell, from another cat's "markings", how recently they were there and certain other information.

Once cats cross their back kitchen step, they revert to being a "wild" animal during the time they are away from the comfort of their home.

Feral cats can cover a territory of up to five square kilometres.

An interesting link to A 1001 Things You Always Wanted To Know About Cats:

tinyurl.com/ygoamm5

One of our cats used to enjoy sitting in the back window of the car when taken on visits to friends, although it was always the basket if going to the vets...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 30/10/2009 at 13:32

Cat problem (from Volume 320) - pda
Sorry H, I did miss that :)

Have you thought about letting them actually move into the house?
You may as well give in now because dogs have masters and cats have servants, you know!
...................now, can anyone help me with Boris, the spider who insists upon living in my bathroom?

He's got 85 legs and a body the size of a small spaceship and I won't kill him but I've told him that if he wants to live there all winter he has to stay out of site.
I really don't think he listens to a word I say.

Pat
Cat problem (from Volume 320) - mjm
You said that the older cat had been away for a few days. Maybe now she has returned she is just asserting her position. It may settle down after a few days.

pda, put Boris where you want him and pull all his legs off on one side. He can still move about but just in circles. :)

Drape a towel over the bath (when it's not being used) so that if he lands in it he has an escape route.
Cat problem (from Volume 320) - pda
>>>> He can still move about but just in circles. :)<<<<

With tweezers I think:):)

Pat

Cat problem (from Volume 320) - BorisTheSpider

"pda, put Boris where you want him and pull all his legs off on one side. He can still move about but just in circles. :)

Drape a towel over the bath (when it's not being used) so that if he lands in it he has an escape route"

I quite like my legs as they are thank-you, I do like how they manage to get back in again as soon as you put them out. I may lurke in this forum but I can honestly say I don't lurke in Pat's bathroom.

Boris
Cat problem (from Volume 320) - 1400ted
He's got 85 legs and a body the size of a small spaceship

My kids refer to me as ' Spiderman '
It's not 'cos I can walk up walls, it's because I have trouble getting out of the bath !

Ted
Multi -Region DVD players - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a 5 year old player which seems to play all DVDs; now I am looking for a cheap and cheerful one for my partner to use in her workroom and multi region does ot seem to e available. Please can anyone point me in the direction of a multi-region low end of the market player. I know one can go on the internet and find an unlock code for some players but I would rather keep it simple.
Multi -Region DVD players - bell boy
www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Prod...1
Many thanks BB. Having been told by Currys and Tesco that Multi region players are as rare as hen's teeth I went to the Richer Sounds website and found 23 of them. The cheapest was a Philips with HDMI connectivity and upscaling for £40, in stock in my local store, ready to collect. I appreciate your efforts to help me resolve this.
Multi -Region DVD players - Altea Ego
nearly every DVD player is multi region, you just need to search the web to find the corrent sequence of button pushing to make it so,
Thanks AE - I trawled the internet last night but the only mention of my partner's Philips DVD was 25+ people asking for a code and no replies!
Thanks AE - I trawled the internet last night but the only mention of my
partner's Philips DVD was 25+ people asking for a code and no replies!
i like a challenge

whats the model number
Multi -Region DVD players - Stuartli
If it's the Philips DVP 3360 at Richer Sounds (£40), follow this sequence to make it multi-regional:

1: Turn the player on (without a disk in).
2. Press the Setup button on your remote control.
3. Using your remote control, highlight but do NOT select the 'Preferences' menu.
4. Press the following keys on your remote control: 1, 3, 8, 9, 3, 1. The current region setting will now be displayed.
5. Using the Up or Down buttons on your remote control, select 0 and press Enter.
6. Press the Setup button on your remote control to leave the menu.

The code also works for the DVP3380 and some other Philips players, including the DVP3980 and DVP5990.

aaw i was looking forward to my homework too :-)
>>aaw i was looking forward to my homework too :-)>>

You didn't try very hard...:-)

Took me well under two minutes including guessing which particular Philips model was probably involved......:-))

Edited by Stuartli on 30/10/2009 at 23:55

Multi -Region DVD players - pmh3
Are you allowed a limitless number of changes? Some of the early machines only allowed 5 (or so) changes.
Multi -Region DVD players - Altea Ego
It only takes one change to make it region free
>>Some of the early machines only allowed 5 (or so) changes.>>

I think you may be confusing this with the Windows limit of four or five regional changes before the configuration was/is fixed for a DVD-ROM player.

I have a six or seven-year-old Kiss DVD player which came with a manual that detailed the means of making it region free.

Edited by Stuartli on 30/10/2009 at 23:56

Multi -Region DVD players - Pugugly
I had this page bookmarked....

www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
Bel Boy and others. I will donate £5 to the charity chosen by any person who can provide me with an unlock code fo a Philips DVP 3005V/05. It is a combined VHS/DVD player, very useful to my partner and the code will save her spending $40 on a new one. Genuine offer!
Multi -Region DVD players - Pugugly
1. Press the Setup button on your remote control
2. Using your remote control, highlight but do not select the Preferences menu
3. Press the 1 button on your remote control
4. Press the 3 button on your remote control
5. Press the 8 button on your remote control
6. Press the 9 button on your remote control
7. Press the 3 button on your remote control
8. Press the 1 button on your remote control
9. Using the Up and Down buttons on your remote control select 1 for region 1, 2 for region 2, and so on, or 0 for multi-region playback
10. Press the Enter button on your remote control
11. Press the Setup button on your remote control

May work ! :-)

Edited by Pugugly on 01/11/2009 at 09:59

Thanks PU. Might the "Set Up" button be lurking on the controller under another name? I have Menu/Disc and Menu/System, among others, but neither of these lead me into a Preferences menu. I get screen size, sub titles on/off and language, parental lock, PIN no and that sort of thing but no screen showing "Preferences". More help please!
>>May work ! :-)>>

That's the same sequence I posted on Friday...:-)

However, this code is also suggested from:

www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-dvp-3005/5624

from the same source you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Edited by Stuartli on 01/11/2009 at 10:29

www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=176...3
Apologies gentlemen, I am beginning to test your patience! System/Menu on the remote takes me to 5 sub menus

1. Language
2. Display
3. Audio
4. Lock
5. Others

Each of these have further sub-menus but none of them are Preferences.

Lock has an option for a Country code but is a 2 letter one ie GB, NL etc
So much help from you, so much ignorance from me!
Multi -Region DVD players - Another John H
Lock has an option for a Country code but is a 2 letter one ie GB, NL etc

try entering a country code of 13

at your own risk etc, no warrantee implied.
I have managed to get into a menu with the country code and it wouldn't permit the entry of numbers. However, I put in US, the area relevant to the disc I wanted to play and it still came up with an on-screen message saying "Check Regional Code". On this basis I shall give up, thank ALL those who contributed their ideas, and put £5 in the next Poppy Collection box I see, which will be Monday. Thank you for your patience!
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - Pugugly
Moved back into my lounge yesterday after a 3 month re-work. Amongst the items got rid are a pair of superb Mission Speakers which, all credit to the Teac, sounded superb - but they were just to big and the "wrong" colour. Currently running the system from the standard Teac speakers which are fine but lack some bass oomph. Anyone recommend some new speakers ?
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - Manatee
What sort of sound do you like? I'm sure you know it's very subjective anyway, and matching makes a difference without doubt. Not to mention where you put them. Have you tried moving the TEACs nearer the wall to bump the low end up a bit?

If you wnat to be sure you get something you like more than what you have, if it's fairly decent anyway, I think you're going to have to start by visiting some shops where you can spend lots of money, and do some listening.

Then if it's serious money try them at home before you buy, or take your gear to the shop. Just buying some good, or even very good speakers could quite feasibly leave you with a sound you don't like any more than the TEACs.
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - Altea Ego
Some John Lewis stores have a listening room.
Sounds like "sound" advice - I like a a bit of bassy sound and a nice sparkling treble (like acoustic guitar music) - the standard Teacs were weak in the base - they are now backed up to the walls as they have rear bass ports. The good news is the wood's the right colour.
Thanks AE - I need a pre-Christmas visit to a branch to look for a mirror (!) so that might be a good idea - I'm not an audiophile but I like a nice rounded sound. I hate tinny speakers.
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - ifithelps
Speaker stands with spiked feet can really 'anchor' the speakers to the floor - if you don't mind small holes in your carpet.

New speaker cable may help, and has the advantage of being cheap - good quality cable can be had for under a £1 a metre.

Or even remake the connections of the existing wire by chopping an inch off either end to get some nice, fresh, bare cable.

Whatever cable you use, try and make the runs as short as possible.

The classic set-up is amp in the middle with one metre of cable to each speaker.

You then sit at the apex of a pointy triangle.

A well set-up system in your chosen surroundings is a great joy.

Edited by ifithelps on 31/10/2009 at 09:57

I had good quality cable (equal lengths) both ends were chopped back (beyond the oxidising) before being re-installed. I had spiked feet on the floor standing Missions (anybody want them by the way for the cost of carriage ?) Slightly re-tuned the speakers by moving them this morning and Cerys Mathews sounds quite sweet enough this morning. - just feel they need to be a little meatier....
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - bell boy
if they have a port hole in the back then remove the sock and you will increase the bass that bounces against the wall
i assume also they aren"t sat on the floor unless they are meant to
They are on the floor at the moment - but speaker stands might improve things.
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - ifithelps
...They are on the floor at the moment - but speaker stands might improve things....

Almost certainly will, but not cheap for a decent pair.

If you like bass, I'd go for a heavy ones.

There are some you can add sand ballast to, which changes the sound, although it's the listener's call if there's an improvement.

As I mentioned earlier, if the stands have spiked feet, the spikes needs to be through the carpet and preferably poking into the floorboards to really 'tie down' the speakers.

The top of the stands may also have spikes which locate into the base of the speaker - shame about the veneer, but who looks at the bottom of a speaker?

Properly installed, the speaker and stand set-up should feel rigid, solid and 'as one'.

Almost as if it's set in concrete, which some people do, but that's another story.
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - Rattle
Get some thick MDF, three 12mm thread bars, shop bars to size according to listening height, tweeters should be ear level. Then thread each bar through, place a retaining nut to hold bars together, drill a slightly bigger recess so the nut is flush with the surface and bingo you have good quality speaker stands. Just get some spikes the floor too. They cost around £20 to make and sound far better than on the floor or even a book shelf.

In fact if you have book shelf speakers placed on the floor you're missing out on virtually all the performance.

If sound qualility is important then getting the setup right is just as important as the setup. I found when i built a dedicate shelf for each seperate it tightened the bass up a little bit, I assume because the vibrations were better isolated and the transformers are not all stacked up on top of each other.

It dosn't matter if its a state of the art Linn or a TEAC all in one getting the speakers in the right position and height is crucial.

www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?-session=hifix:569593E1...8

Just seen these - what do you all reckon ?
Speakers for Teac Reference Hi-Fi - Manatee
Must be a session specific URL PU - what product are you looking at?
Will house prices go down next year? - csgmart
I am in the process of selling my house and moving in to rented accommodation. Before I leap in to my next house purchase I wondered what the general concensus was regarding house prices in the next 6 months or so?

I have read quite a few articles over the past month or so and many 'experts' predict that house prices will go down next year due to inceasing unemployment and more properties going on to the market which will in turn alleviate the current shortage of properties for people to buy.

Obviously your replies will be taken as given in good faith and I will make decisions on the basis of my own research and not the advice given here (just for those with a legal persuation who might think I would hold anyone to account on here at a later date).

The objective? Simple - to buy a house next year at the lowest possible price and avoid increasing my mortgage more than is necessary.
Will house prices go down next year? - L'escargot
The HBOS House Price Calculator may help. If you track the prices for the last few years you may be able to see the likely trend for the next year. Unfortunately the index for the 3rd quarter of 2009 isn't yet available but I'm sure it's imminent. tinyurl.com/ygl27sp
Will house prices go down next year? - perro
I've bought & sold 8 properties over the years comrade, including abroad and this is my Bible ~
www.rightmove.co.uk/news/house-price-index/overview
Next year? well, that's a difficult one, some say there's more falls to come, personally I don't but it depends on the area I suppose, I live in Cornwall which is attractive to the Grey pound.
One thing I do know - renting in the private sector can drain the bank balance!
Very interesting - thanks. Regarding renting - we've been living in rented for 6 months anyway (so as to avoid a chain and also for the purposes of getting child no. 2 in to the secondary school of our choice). I agree it's expensive but so is paying a mortgage AND rent so not having the mortgage will represent a huge monthly saving.

Looks like the predictions of a possible fall (or at the least a stall) in the housing market in the next 6 months are being punted by many.
Will house prices go down next year? - gordonbennet
Picking up on Perro's post, i think he's got a point about the grey shift.
Without going political i imagine houses in more desirable areas (eg Devon etc) to live will increase in value whereas areas that some may consider hell on earth (too numerous and dangerous to speculate) will drop further.

As for prices dropping, i don't think we've seen the worst yet.
Quite what will happen when interest rates get up around 8 or 10% or more again is anyone's guess.
I for one believe we will see rates like that again in the forseeable future, the stupidity of various govt's of the last 20+ years will have to be paid back at some point.
Will house prices go down next year? - Altea Ego
House prices will bump along the bottom of the current low with modest 1 - 2% rises for the next 18 months. A good house in the right location will always sell.

When the economy starts to grow next year watch out for interest rates. If inflation starts to rise the current low rates might rocket very quickly.
Will house prices go down next year? - Pugugly
Just put a property on the market - Priced by the Estate Agent at a little above the valuation 18 months ago - she said exactly what AE said "bumping along the bottom" - also going to be selling my current home a the start of the year. Zoopla (www.zoopla.co.uk/) suggests a price of 25k below what it was professionally valued at 6 years ago which to me, working from Mrs P's records shows a healthy 300% profit over what we paid 10 years ago considering what we spent on it up to January this year - although I've spent a bit on it this year which I've yet to figure. Estate Agent was saying there is a lot of activity in particular price bands (sort of mid range stuff) as people put capital into bricks and mortar but there is little hope for first time buyers - especially as Mortgages will be "properly" vetted soon.

A lot of people in the house "trade" report a huge amount of activity which is still ongoing in the run-up to Christmas, people prepping houses for sale or re-vamping properties they intend to stay in. Be looking to buy next spring (depending on when property two sells) so scanning the estate agents as we speak via Rightmove - time will tell.
My £300k property is now worth £250 - GQQD NEWS! = less stamp duty for the buyer.
When I also start hunting again next spring I'll pay correspondingly less so that's ok.
Property has been way over priced - crazily so, for too long in this country - who does it benefit, apart from the Chancellor + estate agents.
I personally know conveyancers that are worked orf their feet!
Six consecutive months of increases defy the predicted meltdown ? and even gazumping is back, but ...

www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/oct/30/house-pric...e
Good report that - I have had contact with people from various trades over the last few months - most seem to be "busy"
I've found this site to be useful in the past ~ www.mouseprice.com/
Will house prices go down next year? - the swiss tony
My £300k property is now worth £250 - GQQD NEWS! = less stamp duty for
the buyer.

My goodness!
a home owner who hasnt lost the plot over 'making money' whilst living in a house....

the way I see it... buy house for £150k. sell for £300k = make £150k?
naw.... coz you will want to buy another place, probably bigger - till the kids leave home... so....

new place £450k, but at the time you got house A it was £225k which in my book means you lost £75k (the difference being the actual poundnotes/price increase in percentage - both housing in my example doubled) ( I think thats right LOL - I know what I mean anyway!)

the only way to make money on your house is to either move into a tent or die. The rest of the time is just fancy rent payments

tho to be fair, In 3 months I will own my home and have no rent.
Will house prices go down next year? - Happy Blue!
Unless you intend to sell a house within say two years of buying it, the relevance of house prices now is minimal. It is a simple question of can you afford to buy the house and can you afford to pay the mortgage payments if interest rates were say 5% higher than they are now? If the answer is yes, then buy the new house. There is no point waiting for another year to buy a house, it is just postponing the inevitable and are are one year older when the mortgage is paid off.
Just had an e-mail from MousePrice this morning - apparently my house is being "flirted" which is good - excellently comprehensive e-mail on sales trends in my postcode. Arguably one of the best "newsletters" I've ever received by e-mail. Well recommended.
Will house prices go down next year? - Nsar
Hmmmm, just searched my house on there and apparently it's now worth about £30k more than I paid for it 12 years ago! Just about all the data on there for my local area is wrong.

the only way to make money on your house is to either move into a
tent or die.

Just to clarify - this is not an exercise in trying to make money - more a case of trying to avoid spending more money on the next property by waiting a few months (if the housing market takes a dip that is).

Ideal scenario = get next house without increasing borrowing.
Are you a gambling person csgmart? because that is what it really comes down to.
The British economy is still in a 2 & 8 and the outlook for 2010 don't look a lot better from where I'm sitting ... when I sold a house 5 years ago, I was advised to rent somewhere and invest the 300k, but the downturn didn't come for another 2 years, so I would have been paying out all that rental money all that time!
One thing I do know, and that is 'cash is king' so - in you're position I'd be inclined to do your homework, find 2 or 3 places you like and *go for the jugular*
Will house prices go down next year? - Nsar
Depends where you live. If you live in or near cities like Sheffield or Newcastle then house prices are going to drop faster and further because their local economies are largely dependent on civil service incomes which are going to be hit.

Broadly the shrinkage of new first time buyers affected by rising unemployment is going to keep the brakes on rises for 12 months I'd suggest. There will be pockets that are more immune eg good university cities and upper and mid end of London/commuterland market which continues to benefit from City bonus trickle down.
Will house prices go down next year? - Mapmaker
House prices in London have scarcely shifted down over the last two years at all - largely as the cost of borrowing money has dropped.

The Government cannot make the cost of borrowing money any cheaper - short of making interest rates negative...

I was looking in the paper last week that referred to a "reasonably affordable" 2 bed starter home in a not very nice part of London at only 600,000. Even with a 25% deposit (magicked from nowhere) that requires a salary of 100,000, and very few people earn that sort of money. This is not sustainable.

At some point interest rates must go up. Combined with increased unemployment, the fact that people cannot afford to buy houses at all (see above), that means prices must drop.

I think about 50% off peak prices would be about right. That said, in Euro terms, they've dropped 40% already. So who knows?

You'd be surprised even in this day and age.
I was looking in the paper last week that referred to a "reasonably affordable" 2
bed starter home in a not very nice part of London at only 600 000.
Even with a 25% deposit (magicked from nowhere) that requires a salary of 100 000
and very few people earn that sort of money. This is not sustainable.

Get real. I can buy - now - a two bed semi detached in barking for 175,000
Will house prices go down next year? - Mapmaker
>>Get real. I can buy - now - a two bed semi detached in barking for 175,000

Lucky you, why not have three? Looks as though you've always been able to buy a two bed semi in Barking for not much more than that. If you look at the price guide at the bottom of link two, you'll see that it has pretty much exactly followed the UK average.

www.londonpropertywatch.co.uk/s/ph?pc=IG11&t=1-4b&...p

www.mouseprice.com/area-guide/house-price-trends/i...m

Edited by Mapmaker on 02/11/2009 at 10:18

>>>London at only 600,000. Even with a 25% deposit that requires a salary of 100,000, and very few people earn that sort of money. This is not sustainable.<<<

I was reading on the Rightmove site that many London properties are being sold to 'foriegn' buyers due to the weakness of the pound - especially so with £600k + jobbies. I would forget London (IIWY) it bares no relation to places like Bodmin or Biddulph.

>>Get real. I can buy - now - a two bed semi detached in barking
for 175 000
Lucky you why not have three? Looks as though you've always been able to buy
a two bed semi in Barking for not much more than that. If you look
at the price guide at the bottom of link two you'll see that it has
pretty much exactly followed the UK average.

You have to admit, it knocks a hole in your "first time buyer affordability" stakes. London is not just the centre of, its anywhere at the end of any tube line.
Costly litter collection. - 1400ted
No, not a wheely bin gripe but something I've never seen before and which disturbed me a little.
Collecting some spares from my motor factor this morning I noticed several young people up the street in yellow jackets. When they got bit nearer I saw they had hand held litter pickers and were cleaning the street...not that there was much to pick up !
Trailing along behind them was a young police officer, fully kitted out and wearing a helmet but also crrying a litter picker and a black bin bag. He looked thoroughly miserable.
Now, what was the purpose of making a highly trained and well paid man carry out this task ? Was it a character building exercise ? He didn't seem to be supervising the others. If he was, surely a PCSO or a social worker would have been more appropriate. Or had he been cheeky to the Inspector ?
I really thought it looked sad, demeaning and undignified to see an officer of the Crown trudging along the gutter picking up dimps......as a former bobby, I don't think this was ever in our job description. Maybe one of our BIB know what was happening

Ted
Costly litter collection. - Pugugly
According to a well placed source this is "community policing" - doing what local resident "want" as defined by local community meetings.
Costly litter collection. - jbif
.... I noticed several young people up the street in yellow jackets. When they got bit nearer I saw they had hand held litter pickers and were cleaning the street ... >>

What you saw was possibly this in action:

www.gm-probation.org.uk/page.asp?text=50
www.justice.gov.uk/news/newsrelease011208a.htm

Costly litter collection. - 1400ted
Interesting and a good thing. The group I encountered were in a terraced back street in Old Trafford, not busy or high profile.
I wondered why they were being supervised by a uniformed officer rather than someone from the probation service and why the officer was doing the same job rather than watching over them with dignity.....I can't remember the whole thing now....but..
The office of a Constable...The protection of life and property.
The apprehension and prosecution of offenders against the peace.
The picking up of litter from a back street ?

Ted
Costly litter collection. - bathtub tom
>>The apprehension and prosecution of offenders against the peace.
>>The picking up of litter from a back street

Mutually compatible statements? ;>)
Costly litter collection. - Martin Devon
Offence No. 1..Pick Litter.

Offence no. 2..Work in sewage.

Offence No. 3..Firing squad.

Simples.
Spelling getting worse - Rattle
I've noticed my spelling is getting worse and worse, I find it hard to spell some simple words these days. Now due to various medical problems when I was younger I missed a lot of primary education. I have no problems with English and am perfectly capable of writing long reports but my spelling makes the process take twenty times longer than it should.

What worries me is that my spelling is slowly getting worse. Is this just because I am not having to write much formal documents these days or is it likely to be a medical problem?

In the luxery thread car I had to use the word dashboard as I had completly forgoten how to spell interior. Sometimes I also spell things like rear as rare bur I think it is because I type so quickly it is just silly mistakes.

Either way I get frustrated and feel like people with dementia must feel like. So what should I do? I don't want to go to the docs as they will just laugh.
Spelling getting worse - Big Bad Dave
I'm 42, got 10 o levels, 3 a levels and a degree and can't spell my middle name.

I always get two letters the wrong way round. I always know it's going to happen but I can't tell if it's right until I see it on paper and I always right it down wrong.

(It's John by the way - not exactly difficult you'd think)

The other word I can't spell is ghost - same two letters - o and h.

I spelt them both wrong in this email to begin with and I'd spell them wrong if I had to write them again in ten minute's time. It's an odd thing the human brain.
Indeed :) One thing I seem to be ok with is I don't forget things with my job I suppose it is a form of dyslexia. I am 27, have about 9 GCSEs, 2.5 A levels and a 2:1. I think partly the program is at university I by brain was always working hard with lots of new ideas, I learnt a lot about electrical physics all which I have forgot but that is because it was not relevent to anything it was just modules they had to do to pad it out :(.

Now I have been doing my job for four years my brain has become lazy. Been up working till well over 2:00am for the past four nights too, three of them working on customers machines the other was more merry :).

All my life from 1986 to 2005 I was constantly studying and then in 2007 I did a short open university course, in 2006 I did a short business course, in 2008 I passed my driving test so I suppose 2009 has been the first truly lazy year of my life in terms of learning. Learnt more than I ever wanted to know about cars though!

I think I just need some brain training :).

Spelling getting worse - jbif
Your "dementia" could be an early sign of:

Wernicke's encephalopathy and Korsakoff's psychosis

www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Wernicke-Korsakoff-Syndro...m

If you can correctly spell "Wernicke's encephalopathy and Korsakoff's psychosis", you don't have it. ;-)

Spelling getting worse - Pugugly
Maybe worth seeing a Doctor Rattle - if only to put your mind at rest. You may need some mental exercise away from work stuff.
Spelling getting worse - perro
I had to write the word enough the other day but it just didn't LQQK right, I checked it with ispell which confirmed the spelling was correct, but IT STILL DIDN'T LOOK RIGHT TO ME!
When I write (type) the word 'recommend' I always have to 'ispell' it.
The English language isn't easy at all - how can though spell tho for goodness sake :)
I'm 57, ain't got any O levels, A levels, GCE's, NVQ's or anyfink like that, but I've managed to drag my self out of South London, start my own business & move to Cornwall.
I suspect, from what I've read up on the subject - that I am slightly Autistic, what 'they' call high functioning
Maybe you are a tad Dyslexic Effendi - Lucky you! I've known a few Dyslexics ... All Millionaires!

(ispell checked)

Edited by Webmaster on 04/11/2009 at 01:30

Spelling getting worse - Old Navy
Now I have been doing my job for four years my brain has become lazy.
Been up working till well over 2:00am for the past four nights too three of
them working on customers machines the other was more merry :).

I dont think your brain is getting lazy, it is tired. Try slowing down for a while, I think its called "chilling out" these days, and get more sleep.
Spelling getting worse - drbe
>>> I think I just need some brain training :).

er; how can I put this?

Perhaps you need to get to bed at night! you are posting at two minutes past two in the morning and you have to be up in the morning to run your computer repair business. I notice you say you are working on customers machines. I think perhaps you should re-organise your work.

I don't wish to appear rude, but I think you should get a good night's sleep.

I apologise in advance for any offence which may be caused.

EDIT. I missed Old Navy's post. Better expressed and succinct.

Edited by drbe on 02/11/2009 at 10:38

enough

Edited by Pugugly on 02/11/2009 at 14:06

Spelling getting worse - Altea Ego
I'm 42 got 10 o levels 3 a levels and a degree and can't spell
my middle name.

What? "Bad"

you seem to able to spell BEER and WOMEN ok.
Spelling getting worse - Big Bad Dave
"you seem to able to spell BEER and WOMEN ok."

Because beer and women don't contain o and h together

I always seem to have a problem with "hookers" however.
and with "its your round"
Spelling getting worse - L'escargot
Rattle, well done for recognising and admitting that you have a problem but I don't think your analysis of your problem is correct. I've just looked at your first post on this forum (29th January 2007), and your spelling and grammar was every bit as bad as it is now. I think you need to make enquiries regarding the availability of a suitable night-school course to improve your spelling and grammar, and enrol on it as soon as possible.
... just looked at your first post on this forum (29th January 2007), and your spelling and grammar was every bit as bad as it is now. ... >>

In other words, we can look forward to as many paranoid posts on this subject from Rattle as we get from him on his car defects. ;-)

Spelling getting worse - Mapmaker
Pure laziness. Your generation is used to writing gnr8n so just cannot be bothered to spell.

When you have written a post, read it aloud to make sure it makes sense. That will help with the grammar. You'll feel a bit silly, but the rewards will be great for the rest of us - and your own satisfaction.

When it comes to the spelling, cnocentrate. Write down lists of words, and learn to spell them like you did when you were 7 (I bet you never bothered). Writing like an educated person is hard work, and you have never put that effort it.

We'd all (mostly anyway) also be most appreciative.

Spelling getting worse - daveyjp
"When you have written a post, read it aloud to make sure it makes sense"

Do as I say, not as I do :-)

"cnocentrate"?

"effort it."?

Lots of reading is good for grammar and spelling.
Spelling getting worse - Dynamic Dave
I for one aren't too concerned with backroomers making the occasional spelling mistake. Writing in 'txt' however is a pet annoyance of mine.

Regarding spelling though, there are many free spell checker applications that work in conjunction with your preferred web browser, but unfortunately they're not infallible.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
... there are many free spell checker applications that work in conjunction with your preferred web browser, but unfortunately they're not infallible. ... >>

;-) I don't suppose Rattle knows anything about how to use those, as he has a degree in IT, and he is an IT professional !
Or is it he can't be bothered, because, as he says his " ... brain has become lazy .. "?
Spelling getting worse - bell boy
i use opera and it underlines all my bad words like it does in word
however americanisms slip in
eg
immobiliser looks right to me but the spell check makes it immobilizer
Spelling getting worse - Armitage Shanks {p}
Firefox does an auto spell check too but it is Americanised so you you get Zs when an English person expects Ss (see Belboy's comment)
Spelling getting worse - daveyjp
I know someone who refuses to use 's' for 'z' as 'z' is British.

It always used to be 'z', but over time, like a lot of language, it has changed and 'z' is now deemed to be 'American', yet the use of 'z' was introduced to the US by UK immigrants.
There are too many pedants on this site ready to berate you for any mistake and link it to the fall in general standards

If the post in question can be comprehended with relative ease, its fine.
Spelling getting worse - crunch_time
I find that reading a lot of poorly spelled posts over many years tends to throw the brain a bit sideways.

Tip: If you're not sure of correct spelling, quickest way to check is chuck it into Google. If it comes back with 'Did you mean ......' you got it wrong, and now have the correct spelling.

Spelling getting worse - Lud
Spell checkers are ghastly. If you leave them on auto they underline almost every other word, especially if you use a lot of words the spell checker hasn't got in its databank and are writing about people and organisations with unusual names.

There isn't much connection between correct spelling and literacy, let alone intelligence. Most people have oddities in this area, and I know very well someone who is a full Professor and can't spell for toffee nuts.

I don't have any problem in this area myself, although I do make an occasional error in the heat of the moment. My wife is much the same. But all that makes us good for is proofreading and editing. Both dying skills as people read less and less and what they write descends to hitherto unplumbed depths of balderdash.
Spelling getting worse - 1400ted
Reading might be the key to better spelling later in life. I was encouraged to read at 3 yrs by MummyTed...she was a journalist. At 6 or 7 I was always in the local library, just round the corner from Rattle Manor. I devoured all the Arthur Ransome books, leading to books on the Lakes and Peak districts. Prior to girls, I was interested in all sorts of things and read about them all the time......having no telly helped, I am sure. I still cram my increasingly feeble mind with all sorts of facts and trivia...I can't settle down to fiction, all right...Arnold Bennett does it for me.
Poetry as well, wonderful use of the language...Tennyson, Auden, Betjeman and so on.
Proofread what you ave wrote b4 you post...amazing what you find.

Ted
That is the problem, I have lots of books but like so many of my generation have little attention span.

Technical books I get on fine with because they are for a purpose and have a goal.

As for the library if the rumours I have heard from council are true Mr Bernstain wants to demolish the school and the library :( I shall be protesting if that happens. The school may be an old Edwardian cold pit (as I remember it) but its one of the finest remaining examples of any suburban Edwardian building.

I have a feeling the next few visits to the library will be at community meetings shouting at the beligount ghouls that run the council.

Edited by Pugugly on 02/11/2009 at 16:39

.. If you leave them on auto they underline almost every other word, especially if you use a lot of words the spell checker hasn't got in its databank and are writing about people and organisations with unusual names. .. >>

The free spell checkers that I know of allow you to tailor the database - you can add to the bank by a simple right-click on the unusual word.

However, you still have to know the difference between:
your and you're; led and lead; loose and lose; there and their; pedal and peddle, metal and mettle; license and licence, practise and practice, brake and break, etc.

So having given you a piece of my mind, it has given me some peace of mind! "Definatly" [as VR6 says in his recent thread].

p.s. I think ie7pro addon works on IE8.
www.ie7pro.com/

Edited by jbif on 02/11/2009 at 15:41

Break and brake confuses me. I know the difference its just when I typing in a rush I sometimes get them wrong. In fact even when typing this it just takes me nano seconds, I type faster than my brain can even think which I think is why my spelling is always so poor.
Spelling getting worse - Lud
I type faster than my brain can even think which I think is why my spelling is always so poor.

A kind schoolmaster once made the same excuse for my handwriting. Actually not quite. He said the brain moved too fast for the hand.

Edited by Lud on 02/11/2009 at 16:43

Spelling getting worse - FotheringtonThomas
It's computerrs that do it. Use one o' they there bliddy things for a few years, and you're in trouble with your spleeing. You've only got to look at the formerly decent spleeing in organs such as "The Daily Telegraph" - now pretty rotten. I have written to them about it, but no-one even bothered to reply.
Spelling getting worse - pda
I wanted to reply yesterday rattle, but didn't think my thoughts on this would be welcome!
However my compelling need to stick up for the underdog has won over better judgement.:)

Should we be concerned about bad spelling or grammar in a forum post?

I don't think so.

Content is better than quality in this instance.

Surely the person who tries his best without a spell checker should be applauded more than the person who relies on one at all times?
There are times when posting on here I have been intimidated looking at my own posts, knowing it is 'bad grammar' but no matter how much I stared at it, I couldn't find a better way to put it.
I have on occasion deleted my own post and just not replied because of this.
I would have been mortified if someone had pointed the grammatical error out, and many of you do tend to do this with spelling errors.

Whilst I fully accept that a well written/spelled and grammatically correct post is a pleasure to read, ( and something to be proud of if you wrote it) does it outweigh the actual contribution?
Rattle writes some excellent posts with far reaching viewpoints and we all understand what he's saying.

What happened to being tolerant of others inabilities?
What happened to good manners?
Surely, we should all make an effort to make others feel 'comfortable' in our company?

Let's enjoy the opinions of others and stop intimidating them because their abilities don't match up.

There, I feel better now:)

As an aside, I've just had an Insights Discovery Personal Profile done and it did say I would always, without fail, fight for the underdog. It was so right!

Pat

Edited by pda on 03/11/2009 at 07:42

Spelling Getting Worse ( pda's post from vol 321) - Clk Sec
>>What happened to being tolerant
>>What happened to good manners?
>>Surely, we should all make an effort to make others feel 'comfortable' in our company?

Couldn't have put it better myself, pda.

Clk Sec