I Have a Question - Volume 301 [Read only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 302 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 301. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/07/2009 at 00:24

Weed killer / burner - BobbyG
Has anyone bought / used these things that Lidl have
tinyurl.com/mpmh5u

Do they work, especially on weeds in a driveway? Fed up pouring weedkiller after weedkiller over stuff , yes sometimes it kills the growth but the weed is still there!

Do these things burn the weed away? I remember when I was a boy my dad had a similar thing, although much bigger which he used to burn ivy off walls etc.
Weed killer / burner - FotheringtonThomas
Do they work especially on weeds in a driveway?

I was given one. I don't use it. It's not much use at all.
Fed up pouring weedkiller after weedkiller over stuff yes sometimes it kills the
growth but the weed is still there!

Gravel drive? Use a persistent weedkiller such as sodium chlorate. Failing that, apply glyphosphate (a litre of "Roundup Biactive" is cheap on e-bay, and will kill amout 2000 sq. m. of vegetation). That'll kill the roots, too. The disadvantage of sodium chlorate is that it's "mobile" with groundwater - you wouldn't want to poison your adjacent rose beds!
Do these things burn the weed away?

Sort of, although the root is likely to sprout again, with renewed vigour.
I remember when I was a boy my dad had a similar thing although much bigger
which he used to burn ivy off walls etc.

I wonder whether it was a pump-up paraffin "lance".
Weed killer / burner - 1400ted
I've had a Lidl one for a couple of years now. I find it quite good at destroying weeds as long as they are not too big and established.
I have lots of paving and weeds are a constant problem. I tend to use a strong solution of sodium chlorate in a 5 litre pressure bottle with a wand. That way I keep the mixture between the flags to a large extent. I think the ones blasted by the flame don't come back but there's always another to take their place. HSE may be introding a ban on this weedkiller soon. I shall be investing in a large tub next time I'm at the cash & carry.

Ted
Weed killer / burner - BobbyG
Hi its the mono-bloc type of driveway. Last year I spent about 4 days pressure washing it all, blasting all the weeds, mosss etc from between the bricks.

I then put down humungous amounts of sodium chlorate and resanded and this year the weeds are as bad as ever.

Bought some more Sodium Chlorate from local hardware shop, £7 for 3 kgs and they advised that this would be outlawed by Sept/Oct this year! Used watering can with rose to spread this on his driveway last night but sods law, think it rained during the night so not sure how effective it will be!

Years ago my aunt got her driveway tarmacced and this lasted 20 years (till she moved) without a crack, a weed or anything! Think that will be the way to go if he ever decides to redo his drive!
Weed killer / burner - daveyjp
Bobbyg - weeds through monobloc indicate it wasn't laid correctly. Unfortunately until it is the weeds will just keep coming.

Use glyphosate as soon as teh weeds start growing rather than sodium chlorate - it's more effective and destroys the roots.

Weed killer / burner - henry k
Bobbyg - weeds through monobloc indicate it wasn't laid correctly. Unfortunately until it is the weeds will just keep coming.

>>
IIRC some sort of membrane should have been laid when the blocks were laid.
Use glyphosate as soon as theh weeds start growing rather than sodium chlorate - it's
more effective and destroys the roots.

I would agree but it does take a few days to start working and I guess has to be left to complete its effect.
I also use Weedol granules and make up my own solution to water on weeds.
It acts within a day or two but seems to make the dead weeds a little harder to remove.

I would not keep using sodium chlorate as it may eventually affect surrounding areas.
Weed killer / burner - FotheringtonThomas
You want chapter & verse?

www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm
Weed killer / burner - L'escargot
I would not keep using sodium chlorate as it may eventually affect surrounding areas.

I've used sodium chlorate on our block paved drive at least once a year for the last 6 years without any harmful effects on the adjacent lawn and border.
Weed killer / burner - defender
when using glyphosate weedkiller the weeds have to be actively growing so if you chop them off at ground level then spray the regrowth you will get a better kill.
Blackberry 'phone or? - Martin Devon
Morning all,

About to upgrade/change phones and several colleagues have Blackberry's or similar. Seems like a good tool, but most of my 'phones get abused, not deliberately, but mainly by dust from the Building Industry which of course eventually acts like grinding paste.

A. Is this a good idea?

B. The mobile signal here in North Devon (Orange) seems to get worse and I am appalled at the level of usable service in this area. Just got back from the Fjords and there was a signal EVERYWHERE even in the tunnels. Come back here and it is nigh on impossible to do business on the move (No, not driving). Absolute crap.

C. A good mate has a Blackberry on Vodaphone and he sends and receives e-mails in the most unlikely places, but it is operating on 3G gprs I believe. 1. Does this handle the calls too thereby eliminating problems aforementioned and 2. If I have the same kit on Orange is it likely to work as well.

All advise gratefully received, pardon the pun.

Off to Dorchester this morn' via Honiton. See ya tonight. Reg's.........MD
Blackberry 'phone or? - Altea Ego
I find blackberries are hateful things, keys far too small on most of them to make its use as a phone, annoying in the extreme.
Blackberry 'phone or? - daveyjp
A business contact was moaning buckets about his yesterday. Getting a decent reception in Hull on Vodaphone is proving a nightmare. On his previous Nokia phone he had no problems.
Blackberry 'phone or? - Mookfish
Nokia still make the best phones IMO, tough and get a good signal where others don't.

The 2 current models I have experience of are the 6220 classic, which has a traditional phone keypad and the E63 with a blackberry style qwerty keypad (why querty? It's too small to type with both hands.)

These are both good phones and get signal where my old samsung and sharp phones never could.
Blackberry 'phone or? - Statistical outlier
For sending and receiving email you want decent data coverage. T-Mobile currently have the best data network, although Vodafone and O2 are combining their data networks in a few months, so that may change. Orange and O2's networks are not much cop at the moment.

Blackberries tend to just work (although apparently the Storm is a bit of a nightmare). The HTC Touch Pro on Vodafone was very good, but they have just stopped doing it. The Touch Pro 2 is out, but is heavier (although much better battery life). The main plus is the slide out keyboard that is big (well, not big, but relative to a Blackberry) and makes it far easier to type emails. Trouble is, your description of a dusty environment and rough treatment probably rules this out, I rekon it would last days rather than months.

Overall, I think a Blackberry on T-Mobile would be your best bet, but you'll have to have a look at the coverage maps.

By the way, GPRS is the old style data connection, roughly equivalent to a 56k modem. 3G is UMTS, of which there are two flavours in the UK. Vodafone and T-Mobile both use the version where you can get up to 7.8 MBits in town near a transmitter - you'd be hard pushed to tell you're not on a domestic broadband connection.
Blackberry 'phone or? - maz64
UK. Vodafone and
T-Mobile both use the version where you can get up to 7.8 MBits in town
near a transmitter

...or use one of these: tinyurl.com/nzpplm

I suppose I should state that my company makes them, and it's got some of my software in it. But don't let that put you off :-)
My son tried to sell me one of these (he works for vodaphone)

I asked why, if I had a working phone line at home, with broadband and wireless data access, i would lash out 160 quid to improve my mobile phone signal at home,.

he didnt really have an answer
Blackberry 'phone or? - commerdriver
he couldn't exactly tell you that the main reason was to improve HIS mobile phone signal at home, could he? :-)
Blackberry 'phone or? - maz64
It was the Sunday Times 'gadget of the week' - what other reason do you need? :-)
Blackberry 'phone or? - Pugugly
I have two Blackberries a bog standard work (Orange) 8820 and my personal (02) Bold. I also had an early 7200 in 06 which was a clunky and unreliable bit of kit. The 8820 is nearly 2 years old and has been with me across the world including a very inhospitable country full of dust in late 08. It has proved totally reliable never letting me down and with a good 5 days of battery life. Orange is pretty good around here and even on GSM it works fine GPRS and EDGE are pretty reliable data modes - happy to take this out in all weathers on the bike - it lives in a "rugged" pouch which I acquired from a Police Officer. It is more reliable than the Nokia N75 that I ran alongside it - far quicker in software and far less flakey in design. It has been dropped now and again and has battle scars.

The Bold is a sleeker design and I had i the day before Mrs P died and it got hammered in the next few weeks in all modes and proved a very reliable friend - it lives in an MoD aluminium case which the RAF use - cracking little phone and in 3G mode is quick - I think it takes the HSPA standard as well but I'd need to confirm it. It has WiFi as well and can be set to auto detect your own network when at home (seamlessly) thus saving you money when you use it at home and download speeds are increased. I think the nearest civi designed case is the Otterbox - around £25.00. Both phones get used across the UK and rarely are both out of signal. Both phones can be dual-sim so in theory (and subject to unlcok codes) you could have two dfferent provider Sims in there. Battery life on the Bold is significantly shorter. Both phones are "always on" they are easy to use with a proper qwerty key-board but they may be challenging for the sausage fingered.

I have grown to like and understand the Blackberry stuff. I like them.

Edited by Pugugly on 21/07/2009 at 17:28

Blackberry 'phone or? - PhilDS
MD

Blackberrys are useful for email and internet access on the move.

I have had several over the years and they are usually reliable although cosmetically fragile - they scratch quite easily. They are better than some Nokia phones which seem to allow dust under the screen making it hard to read and impossible to clean.

If you have wireless broadband at home and you use the Orange network and you choose either the 8120 Pearl or 8900 Curve then you can make use of UMA. This uses the wi-fi capability in the phone to boost the mobile signal. It is the only way I can get a mobile phone signal at home.

The Pearl is quite compact and uses Blackberry's narrow version of the QWERTY keyboard. The Curve is wider but has a more standard QWERTY keyboard.

HTH
Blackberry 'phone or? - Nsar
I have a blackberry pearl (8110?) and it's a pretty good bit of kit certainly once you've got used to the semi-qwerty keyboard and it's the only phone i've had where predictive text is even remotely any use.

But.....I find the pearl thing a bit susceptible to dust which renders it temporarily useless and I can't think of a way to clear it other than keep forcing it.

Although I loathe Apple products from the bottom of my heart, if I wasn't tied to Blackberry for work, I'd have an I-phone which would avoid your dust risk
I hate apple products with a passion, thinking they are style over common sense

BUT

My Iphone, for sheer useability as a phone, is the finest piece of technology I have held in my hands.

I hate apple products with a passion thinking they are style over common sense

Hi AE. Why the hatred of Apple products. BTW I have never held any.

vbr...MD
I dislike apple products because they are

1/ hugely expensive
2/ highly propriety*
3/ over hyped
4/ overstyled

* for example, on the iphone it has a usb style plug for the charging lead, but it wont charge form any ordinary mains or car usb charger, it needs a special apple one with a constant voltage on the data pin. This is done for no other reason than to restrict accesories to apple ones.

BUT

The sheer ergonomic design and useability, the thought that has gone into the user interface, mkaes it, in my opinion, the phone of choice.
I rather like my iTouch and my Apple Mac - but I agree with AE on most points above inclusing the ergonomics of the iTouch (one step removed from the iPhone) - I chose BB for my own phone as I had an iTouch and the phone seemed like needless duplication of features, I was disappointed with the quality of my Nokia N phone and I was very familiar with the BB worked.
Although I loathe Apple products from the bottom of my heart if I wasn't tied
to Blackberry for work I'd have an I-phone which would avoid your dust risk

Morning Nsar,

Why do you loathe Apple products?

And how do they avoid the dust risk?

Are they available on Orange. Can't say I've ever looked.

Cheers.....Martin D
Blackberry 'phone or? - Nsar
I think the software is hopelessly user-unfriendly and counter intuitive, and I-macs have bizarre and very basic design flaws - why have a CD tray that can only open when you move the keyboard back, why have USB ports round the back where you can't seem them, why have the on/off button where you can't see it? The staff in their stores are smiley but in my experience of three stores on three sepearate issues - no better than the worst type of Comet numpties but they seem to expect you to be in thrall to the brand like it's a religion.

It's not much better on Mac user forums where pointing out a problem never fails to get the reply - why don't you go into the store and buy a whole new suite of software?

There is a reason they have so little of the computer market......

Thank you I feel a lot beter for that.

The benefit of an I-phone over a pearl in a dusty environment is the touch screen.

No I-phones on orange yet.
I phones on all networks, if you wish to use jailbreak software. Mine is on Vodaphone
If you have wireless broadband at home and you use the Orange network and you
choose either the 8120 Pearl or 8900 Curve then you can make use of UMA.
This uses the wi-fi capability in the phone to boost the mobile signal. It is
the only way I can get a mobile phone signal at home.

Phil, Ihave wireless and I use Orange. Are you positive the Black b will have a signal boost.

Thanks.....Martin
Blackberry 'phone or? - PhilDS
>>
Phil Ihave wireless and I use Orange. Are you positive the Black b will have
a signal boost.
Thanks.....Martin

Martin

The 8120 - not the 8100 or 8110 - with wi-fi switched on and connected to a wi-fi network will boost your signal when it changes from GSM/GPRS to UMA - it worked for me and was the only way to get signal.
The Bold 9000 on Orange doesn't but I have been informed that the Curve 8900 does now.

I also have BT broadband so it's not reliant on getting your broadband from Orange.

Calls are not free, BTW. You are billed as normal.
Bold on 02 does it !

You can also get unlimited Internet access as a free "Bolt On" with 02

Edited by Pugugly on 23/07/2009 at 22:44

Bold on 02 does it !

To all respondents, thank you.

Regards.........Martin D.
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Mapmaker
Nsar>>>> Just to be absolutely correct......when the wine is poured into your glass, you are not
>>>>being invited to taste it, but to smell it, simply to verify that the bottle is not corked.

Optimist>>Where does that come from? A wine can be lightly corked and you won't be able to >>identify that until and unless you taste it, I'd have thought

Do what you like, Optimist. However, the nose is far more sensitive than the mouth. You may need to pay more attention to the wine you drink (i.e. smell first), but I have never failed to identify a corked (or indeed oxidised) bottle from the nose. Two benefits:

1. You don't fill your mouth with revolting wine. Ugh.
2. You can check the red is OK whilst eating your lobster and drinking your Chablis without sullying either.

I have been known to ask for an ice bucket when drinking red in a restaurant. Too hot red wine (such as you get when the weather is too warm) is horrid. The fruit disappears and all you get is alcohol. A quick dip in ice, and equilibrium is restored.

I remember once buying a couple of cases of a Volnay that should have been delicious; it was not. One hot summer's evening, seeking a red to chill, I thought well it cannot taste any more disappointing. Lo and behold, ten minutes in an ice bucket and it was spectacular.
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Optimist
I'm sure you're right, old boy, on this and everything else.

Why do wine buyers spend their time wine tasting, though?

Edited by Optimist on 21/07/2009 at 16:01

Wine from IHAQ 300 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks for continuing the discussion! I do believe in tasting wine although I know the sense of smell has a lot more to do with analysis of the product. I recall a TV programme where experts were invited to take part in a 'blind' tasting with their noses closed off by scuba diver's nose clips. In this state they were unable to distinguish between brandy and whisky, even when allowed to drink it!
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Happy Blue!
I once drank an amazing Scotch malt whisky that was very dark and smelt and drank very much like a sweet cognac. Never got the name though :-(
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Alby Back
There is a possible solution to your question Espada. Find a decent bar in Edinburgh for example. Start at the left hand side of the display and start tasting.....It might take a week or so but eventually you'll find it......

;-)
Wine from IHAQ 300 - bell boy
Not scottish but i wonder if it was wild turkey?
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Kevin
>I once drank an amazing Scotch malt whisky that was very dark..

The name begins with a "T" I think. One of the distilleries I visited on the Whisky Trail many years ago. Not on the WT website now though.

Kevin...
Wine from IHAQ 300 - bathtub tom

I'm sure I've got some lurking somewhere, blowed if I can remember it's name. I'll have a look when it's light.

Currently sipping Tesco's own ten year old Islay. Very palatable stuff. I probably shouldn't tell you lot as it'll promptly disappear. Curious as it doesn't seem to mention a particular distillery. There's not that many on the island.
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Tallsiker perhaps? It is on the Isle of Skye. It tasted to me like burnt tyres when I took the tour!

Loch Dhu?
Wine from IHAQ 300 - 1400ted

Ardbeg...reckoned to be the peatiest....with a drop of ice cold water.
Just finished my bottle, and no birthday in sight....sob.

Ted
Wine from IHAQ 300 - maz64
In this state they were
unable to distinguish between brandy and whisky even when allowed to drink it!

The mouth can only distinguish 4 (or possibly 5) 'tastes' ie. bitter, sweet, salt and sour (and umami); all the subtle stuff is done by the nose.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Nsar
Tasting a wine tells you different stuff eg the wine's length - how long the flavour lingers and how it tastes after you've swallowed. This all important to judging a wine's quality, but nothing to do with whether it's corked, which is all that the wine waiter is asking you to assess by pouring a little into your glass and all of which can be done by the nose - yours and the wine's
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Lud
done by the nose - yours and the wine's

... sensitised by cocaine and anti-feeze respectively...

Sorry. I really shouldn't have said that. Serious subject, anti-freeze...
Wine from IHAQ 300 - bell boy
i had an anti freeze
a very cold woman
Keep it in the family bb.

Norfolk or Cornwall?
I still can't follow your logic, Nsar. If all that matters to you is whether or not the wine's corked, so be it.

But I'm interested in how it tastes, and I appreciate the chance to judge that before it's poured.

What do you do if you choose from the list a wine described as medium dry and it turns out to be very, very dry? But you don't know that until your guests are making faces because you've not tasted it.

And it's a long time, isn't it, since anyone cared what they thought the wine waiter was asking them to do?

Edited by Optimist on 22/07/2009 at 11:36

Wine from IHAQ 300 - Mapmaker
>>What do you do if you choose from the list a wine described as medium dry and it turns out to be very, very dry?

If you're wealthy enough to keep on sending back bottles until you find one that tastes the way you want it to, then absolutely fine. I was once taken to dinner by somebody who did exactly that.

Most of us, however, order a bottle and drink it. The only circumstances under which we would return it would be if it is corked, or otherwise faulty. Easily picked up on the nose.

"medium dry" is a marketing term used by the manufacturers of horrid cheap wines, in order to describe the amount of sugar they added to the very dry wine that sits next to it on the shelf. It's really not a term I'd use.

As mentioned, I don't care what the sommelier thinks. It is a moment for you to do exactly what you wish; you're paying. I do, however, care about filling my mouth with something that tastes disgusting/is inappropriate at that stage of proceedings. If I want my claret decanting half an hour before drinking it, I shall want to check it is OK at that point; but I shall also want to check that it is OK without polluting the champagne I am drinking at the point it is decanted.

Edited by Mapmaker on 22/07/2009 at 12:22

Wine from IHAQ 300 - FotheringtonThomas
What do you do if you choose from the list a wine described as medium
dry and it turns out to be very very dry? But you don't know that
until your guests are making faces because you've not tasted it.

Apologise to them. Spoon some sugar and give it a stir with the end of your knife.
Optimist, when you choose a bottle of wine, you are choosing that wine of your own free will. If you don't what it's supposed to taste like that's your problem not the restaurant's. All you are being asked to verify is whether the wine that you ordered is in drinkable condition.

It's no different to food. If you order a medium steak and get a medium steak you can't send it back because it doesn't taste how you expected,.
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Altea Ego
I still can't follow your logic Nsar. If all that matters to you is whether
or not the wine's corked so be it.
But I'm interested in how it tastes and I appreciate the chance to judge that
before it's poured.

Thayts too late, you chose it, and you paid for it the moment the foil is cut.

Your only valid compiants are if its "off" (corked) or not to your prefered temperature.
they will replace for the first, fix the second, but wont change it just because you dont like it.

I always grab the bottle to check temp if it should be served chilled, then swirl the glass and smell, then drink the sample but only because it means I get more.

And as some have said, some thinner young reds do taste better slightly chilled.
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Pugugly
Drinking real ale is so much easier !
Wine from IHAQ 300 - ifithelps
...Drinking real ale is so much easier !...

I dunno, there's the sandals to buy, the beard to grow, and, if you don't have it naturally, the body odour to cultivate.

Then there's the enforced interest in folk music, and woebetide if you let any of your real ale mates see you taking an interest in women - you'll be ostracised.

I think lager loutishness might have something going for it.

Wine from IHAQ 300 - Pugugly
I bought my first pair of sandles recently following a thread here....I suspect you may have been involved, certainly Humph was !
I think Nsar, Mapmaker and now Altea Ego are confused from too much sniffing. I would expect a half-way decent restaurant to apologise and replace a bottle of wine that wasn't as described in their list.

But in the great scheme of things none of this really matters.

Now when you get on to ale, you can be really pretentious. Should you drink by the half or the pint? Straight glass or jug? Should there be a head or not? Should the beer be pumped or dribbled from a barrel racked behind the bar? Are bottled ales ever acceptable?

Cheers all!

Optimist, you stand alone.

Anyway, try it and see how far you get.

Peace and love man, peace and lurve............
Wine from IHAQ 300 - Martin Devon
Peace and love man peace and lurve............

AT LAST. Now yer talking.

Ale is acceptable. Full stop.

Next question!

Hobgoblin to the lot of ya!! M
Wine from IHAQ 300 - ifithelps
...I bought my first pair of sandles recently....

It's just me being jealous - I'd buy a pair if I could still bend down far enough to do 'em up.

And I don't know what that Humph thinks he knows about shoes. :)
Nowt, nada, niente, zilcherooney.........

;-)
New Vacuum Cleaner - Clk Sec
My wife is thinking of buying a lightweight vacuum cleaner, possibly an Oreck, to replace our very efficient, but rather heavy, Henry.

Any advice / recommendations would be appreciated.

Clk Sec
New Vacuum Cleaner - henry k
My wife is thinking of buying a lightweight vacuum cleaner possibly an Oreck to replace
our very efficient but rather heavy Henry.

The only Orec I have handled had the most incredible heavy cable l have ever found on any domestic appliance. Rather defeated part of the concept if you have to lug it up stairs :-)
New Vacuum Cleaner - gordonbennet
We've had Oreck's for years, superb machine's, very light, robust and do a good job simply.

We bought another (brand new) one a couple of years ago orf the old flea bay at a very good price, even got a headlight...cool huh, got a job lot of bags too.

The cable maybe is a little more robust than some, but i didn't really think it was too heavy, but it is longer than most.
Replacement PIR sensor - bathtub tom
A disabled neighbours PIR sensor packed up. It switches some external lights.

He obtained another and I replaced it for him.

He now reckons I wired it wrong!

It turns out it's fed through an internal switch. Switching it on just fed power to the PIR and it controlled the lights normally. Switching it on-off-on quickly turned the lights on permanently (he says).

Both sensors had three connections, live, neutral, switched live.

I guess the permanent on facility was provided by the old PIR sensor - I can't see how I could wire the replacement any other way.

I've looked around, but can't find any PIR sensor that has this facility of putting the lights on permanently if the power supply is switched on-off-on.

I'm not an electrician. Has anyone come across this sort of facility before and what is it called?
Replacement PIR sensor - CQ
My pir porch light comes on if you flick the switch a couple of times, pain when we have power interruptions in the winter, light stays on all night.
Replacement PIR sensor - crunch_time
Maplin (used to?) sell a PIR sensor with that on-off-on feature.

It was quite a heavy duty beast, capable of handling 1KW or more, and cost me around £20 about 15 years ago.

Replacement PIR sensor - Mapmaker
ALL PIR sensors I have ever come across have this on-off-on feature. It's some clever electronic gizmo, not your wiring...

Anyway, what's his problem with this; surely a useful feature.

Tell him to RTFM.
Replacement PIR sensor - Stuartli
Our back garden security light also has the ability to be left on permanently or to operate automatically as required; it's the same click on/click off twice at the mains to set.

Useful for those having summer parties extending into the period after sunset.

Perhaps your neighbour has never realised the permanently on feature was available?

Edited by Stuartli on 23/07/2009 at 15:34

Replacement PIR sensor - Martin Devon
Perhaps your neighbour has never realised the permanently on feature was available?

Or he's an ungrateful miserable Old Git.

There's a lot of it about you know.

MD
Backroomers "Handles" - redviper
Hi All

Something i always wonder about, on some peoples "names" on this forum there is a symbol "{P}"

What is it, and what does it mean?

Many Thanks
Backroomers "Handles" - Pugugly
It was a fad once upon a long time ago to put the P there if you had a viewable profile.
Backroomers "Handles" - redviper
Ah i see, thankyou :-)
Backroomers "Handles" - Mapmaker
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=13499&...f
Railway electrification questions - maz64
Quick ones:

1. Why use overhead lines instead of a 3rd rail? Presumably the former is a lot more expensive, especially where tunnels are involved (someone told me they have to lower the track?). Is it just a safety issue?

2. I believe they will be purchasing new power units to replace the 25+ year old Intercity125s. But why not just take the diesel engines out of the 125s, add pickups (overhead or 3rd rail) and drive the 125s' existing electric motors directly? Simples :-)

Edited by Focus {P} on 24/07/2009 at 11:09

Railway electrification questions - Stuartli
The scheme includes the electrification of the Liverpool to Manchester line, currently served by diesel units, at a cost of £100m.

According to the local BBC news programme last night, the cost of powering trains using electricity will be reduced by 35 per cent as they are cheaper to run than with diesel; it was also pointed out that as diesel trains are much slower because of the weight of the fuel they have to carry, the new electric trains will cut journey times by about a third.

In addition, most journeys will be covered by six-car trains rather than the present cramped three-car diesel units, which have brought a great number of passengers' complaints.

A great deal of the work on the electrification of the line will be carried out overnight to minimise travel disruption.

See:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8164511.stm

Edited by Stuartli on 24/07/2009 at 13:30

Railway electrification questions - Mapmaker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_rail good section on disadvantages (and have a laugh at the safety bit!)

The best third rail usage was the TGV (Eurostar) running in the UK on Victorian technology.

Edited by Mapmaker on 24/07/2009 at 13:39

Railway electrification questions - bell boy
beauty :-)
Railway electrification questions - Rattle
I used to get the train from Manchester or Stockport to Wilsmlow a lot. They use clas 323s (these are soon to be replaced). They were extremely quick and reliable. Also plenty of space and very comfortable. I hate DMUs with a passion, they are too noisy and cramped. EMUs are so much better. I cannot wait for the improvements although I rarely go to Liverpool anyway.

With regard to third rail I always assumed it was due to safety reasons. Its different in a tunel system such as the underground.
It was also pointed out that as diesel trains are much slower because
of the weight of the fuel they have to carry the new electric trains will
cut journey times by about a third.

I think electric trains will accelerate more quickly, but I don't think the speeds on the south west lines from Paddington will increase over the Intercity 125s - aren't they mainly limited by the track?
In addition most journeys will be covered by six-car trains rather than the present cramped
three-car diesel units which have brought a great number of passengers' complaints.

But the 125s are 8 coach units.

I guess things must progress, but the Paddington-Bristol service (used by myself between Reading and Bath) which is due for electrification runs pretty well with the 125s from what I can tell. Just seemed like a lot of money to fix something that isn't broken (might not apply to the other lines).
BTW the Reading to Waterloo line is electric 3rd rail.
Railway electrification questions - Alanovich
Focus, this issue is being debated by some very knowledgeable people on www.reading-forum.co.uk. I believe you live in Reading, so presume you're interested from a lcoal point of view given the recent announcement about the London-Swansea line.

Some interesting technical stuff being discussed there.
Focus this issue is being debated by some very knowledgeable people
on www.reading-forum.co.uk.

Thanks - I'll have a look.
Railway electrification questions - Rattle
The Manc to Liverpool line is extremely crowded with local all stops and the express Liverpool services. The line isn't suitable for locomatives, mutliple units work on it much much better.

You cannot really compare a modern EMU with a Class 43 125 because they are designed to completly different jobs. EMus are brilliant for express trains connecting local cities, 125s are good for long distance high speed travel were aceleration is less of an issue.

The trains I usualy go on are class 142s (horrible horrible), class 156 and 170 sprinters (horrible), pendolinos (cramped due to fact every seat is always sold but so so so so so fast, 200 miles in 2 hours and 3 minutes) but my favourite atm is the class 323s EMUs.

Northern have now started introducing german built Diseros on the Manchester to Blackpool services, it will be interesting to see if they can make them relaible. Other TOCs seem to be getting rid of the.

I consider myself having little knowledge of trains yet all of above is pure train geek speak. Oh dear. I am a trainspotter without realising it!

Edited by Rattle on 24/07/2009 at 14:57

Railway electrification questions - Stuartli
I live in the MerseyTravel area, which is served by third rail electric trains that run to better than 90 per cent punctuality - this is essential, especially at Liverpool Central, where three major lines use just two platforms, with two lines terminating there before the return journeys and the third going on to Hunt's Cross.

A full complement of trains was acquired in 1938 (the routes were somewhat different at the time) and such was their efficiency that, when they were replaced 40 years later, the major basic replacement item during their service were replacement electric bushes for the original electric motors.

As today, the trains achieved a 40 minute Southport to Liverpool/Liverpool to Southport journey time, impressive in view of a total of 14 stations on the route.

When these trains were replaced after their lifespan, the new rolling stock proved very troublesome at first, especially with regard to the brakes, which meant that the drivers often had to reverse back into a station they had overshot due to wet rails..:-)

They are due to be replaced in the not too distant future, although the current financial climate may dictate that they are kept on for a bit longer than planned.

Edited by Stuartli on 24/07/2009 at 15:46

Railway electrification questions - Number_Cruncher
>>especially with regard to the brakes, which meant that the drivers often had to reverse back into a station they had overshot due to wet rails..:-)

Partly because the disc brakes on 507s 508s didn't leave debris which effectively keyed the wheel / rail interface, and partly because the so-called dynamic braking, where the motors turn into generators, was rather clunky and npredictable in its operation.

Enter the cab of many of this era and type of train (class 313, etc) and you'll find the dynamic brake switch in the OFF position!

Railway electrification questions - Altea Ego
The north London line varies from third rail to overhead line along parts of its journey.

At one station there is a sign at the end of the platform that says PANTS DOWN

Telling the driver to lower the pantograph as it switches from pantograph and catenary, to third rail and shoe.

The use of third rail caused horrific issues for network rail and south west trains, as the new rolling stock with aircon consumed far more amps than was available at certain parts of the network.

>>The north London line varies from third rail to overhead line along parts of its journey.

>>At one station there is a sign at the end of the platform that says PANTS DOWN

These are the class 313 dual voltage trains. Thameslink are the other notable dual voltage trains, although I forget which class they are.

In the depot, you are not allowed to work below the sole bar of a dual voltage vehicle's body while the pantograph is still in contact with the overhead line, as even though there is no 3rd rail in the area, it's possible for faults in the switchover control within the train to make the shoe gear live.

The other nasty thing with 3rd rail trains in the depot is that it only takes one shoe to be touching the 3rd rail anywhere along the rake of carriages for all the vehicle's shoes which may not be anywhere near a 3rd rail to be live.

>>1. Why use overhead lines instead of a 3rd rail? Presumably the former is a lot more expensive, especially where tunnels are involved (someone told me they have to lower the track?). Is it just a safety issue?

Although there's a lot more metalwork for overhead lines, there are fewer expensive lineside electrical installations required. As there is a need / desire to detect short circuits across the supply, and the voltage drop per mile of third rail is significant, you get a very firm limit on the spacing between lineside supply stations - and IIRC, it's not that far apart!

>>2. I believe they will be purchasing new power units to replace the 25+ year old Intercity125s. But why not just take the diesel engines out of the 125s, add pickups (overhead or 3rd rail) and drive the 125s' existing electric motors directly? Simples :-)

While 125s are almost my favourite mode of travel, they are now reaching the end of their design life, and an expensive retro-fit of the control gear in the space which was orinally designed for a diesel engine will not be a cheap undertaking for so few years of remaining life.

What I don't understand is why we can't simply build to print to print a few more class 91 and mkIV sets, rather than designing new trains which almost certainly will be built abroad. Since its inception, class 91s have had lots of time and money spent on upgrading them and making them more reliable and cheaper to maintain - we could take advantage of this work.
Railway electrification questions - crunch_time
Of course, given the projections for electricity generation, with all the decommissioned nuclear stations and environmentally unsound coal stations closed by the EU, you're going to have to wait for a very windy day to ride in one.

Railway electrification questions - JH
The news release also referrred to demolishing bridges and tunnels. I can't for the life of me see what this has to do with electrification, nor how the trains will arrive without! Does anyone know what this is about?

Poor reporting again, giving us half of the story. Don't journalists ask questions these days?

JH
Railway electrification questions - RobertyBob
The O/H electrical gear requires extra headroom under bridges - which is not always available. The bridges over the track will need to be re-built.

It is often not possible to lower the track to provide adequate headroom.

Edited by RobertyBob on 24/07/2009 at 19:51

Railway electrification questions - JH
Blimey. Megabucks.
JH
Railway electrification questions - Altea Ego
If you try and squeeze overhead power lines under bridges you have a nsty habit of electrocuting those on the bridge. It all (bridges) needs to go up a tads. (or drop the railway)
Didn't they spend a lot of money electrifying one of the lines running north/south some years ago, but most of the trains using it now are diesel?
Railway electrification questions - daveyjp
The East Coast mail line - Kings X to Edinburgh is electrified. I've used it dozens of time and had a diesel once - a 125 last year, I do think National Express were using quite a few 125s as I've seen them in Leeds.

Depite this most services use 225s - great locos, but they are due to be replaced.

I'd like the German style ICE trains where you can sit behind the driver and see ahead!
Personal Injury Claim Query - stackman
My wife works as a self employed domestic cleaner and has a number of clients who she visits regularly.

Yesterday at a client's house she was washing up some vases when one of them shattered, cutting the base of her thumb quite seriously. She went to A&E at the local hospital who diagnosed that she had severed the tendon to her thumb and refered her to the District Hospital some 30 miles away. The General Hospital concured and she has to return to the District Hospital on Sunday to have an operation.

She has been told that she may be off work for up to eight weeks. As a self-employed bod she will obviously lose money all this time.

One hears so much about personal injury claims and while we would not be looking for compensation for hurt feelings or distress we do wonder if there is any chance that somehow, and preferably without having to resort to Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster types, we can claim from her client for loss of earnings and travel expenses to and from hospital visits.

Personal Injury Claim Query - BobbyG
I know nothing on the legal side but it was your wife who caused the damage by her actions was it not? Would the householder be expected to know that the vase may smash?

Depends on her relationship with householder they may help out with expenses when she tells them she can't work for 8 weeks, all these costs etc ?

Sorry if that sounds unsympathetic, its not meant to be!
Personal Injury Claim Query - FotheringtonThomas
Self-employed people generally have insurance to cover being unable to work, don't they?
Personal Injury Claim Query - crunch_time
Possibly covered by the householder's Buildings insurance.

Personal Injury Claim Query - Altea Ego
She would need to prove some form of carelessness or negligence by her employer, or some knowledge that the employer knew this might happen.

It could be argued that your wife, as a professional cleaner should have taken reasonable car in the washing of such a vase. Employees share the responsibility to prevent accidents from happening.

This is all long words for "accident"
Personal Injury Claim Query - rtj70
As a self employed worker shouldn't she have some sort of insurance to cover her? What if she broke something expensive of a clients?

Also is it not the responsibility of the employer to take care of their employees (in this case the same person is both employer and employee)?

This was an accident and there is probably nothing you or she can do. And if word got out she was trying to get money out of the client she may lose other clients. I'd be more concerned the clients do not go elsewhere for a cleaner in this time, i.e. not lost earnings during recovery but lost earnings full stop.
Personal Injury Claim Query - Rattle
Public liability is a must for this kind of thing. If she is actually self employed then she dosn't even have an employer. The employer is simply a customer of a client. There is a big grey area of what is employed and what is self employed and your wife might be able to threaten legal action if it turns out in the eyes of the law she is employed and not unemployed.

As a general rule if you work for one person at set hours then you are employed, the employer has to pay your tax etc and provide employee insurance. If you wife has different clients and some sort of freedom of when she works then she is self employed which means everything is her responsibility.

It is a lot more complicated than this though. Did your wife apply for a job as a cleaner for this person or was she approached?