What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 296 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 297 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 296. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/06/2009 at 13:26

Multipack only - not for resale - David Horn
Just wondering about this slogan on the back of multipack cans / crisps etc. If I bought these from another shop (not the manufacturer) and sold them individually, would I be breaking any laws and if not, why have the slogan there in the first place?.
Multipack only - not for resale - Stuartli
Multipacks of products, whatever their nature, normally include the proviso that they are not to be sold separately.
Multipack only - not for resale - Dynamic Dave
the proviso that they are not to be sold separately.

A lot of the burger vans and side street cafe's sell fizzy drinks cans though which are from multipack buys - often at a price that is higher than the price that is written on the can.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/06/2009 at 01:39

Multipack only - not for resale - grumpyscot
>> the proviso that they are not to be sold separately.
A lot of the burger vans and side street cafe's sell fizzy drinks cans though
which are from multipack buys - often at a price that is higher than the
price that is written on the can.

They are actually breaking contract law with the manufacturers / wholesalers
Multipack only - not for resale - David Horn
So, ultimately, it's the wholesalers' problem to deal with?
Thanks to Xtype and Mapmaker - John Doubledime
For the shower screen advice in Volume 295.
What's the Renault ad music? - Optimist
Just glimpsed a Renault ad this evening using the heavy drums heavy guitars music which I think was also used on Top Gear some time back.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What's the Renault ad music? - maz64
If you mean this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge6hUp4bOXQ

then it's the Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3nwA5K5ro
it's the Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3nwA5K5ro

Sorry- much better (moving pictures!) video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMfV7A3V00

No, that's not it though I did enjoy the video.

It's a track that's been round for ages. No lyrics AFAIK except somone going "whoo-hoo" from time to time.

So: drums opening then guitars "whoo-hoo" guitars repeat "whoo-ho" and so on.

Any thoughts?

No that's not it though I did enjoy the video.

doh
It's a track that's been round for ages. No lyrics AFAIK except somone going "whoo-hoo"
from time to time.

Well the 'whoo-hoo' makes me think of this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAHZURxRjY
That's the one. Thank you. I shall download it for a car CD, probably to Mrs O's horror. She calls that kind of track "boys' music" and is probably right.

What's the Renault ad music? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Glad you got your answer. If you dial 2580 on your mobile and hold it near the loudspeaker, with the volume well up and no voice-overs, you will get the music ID'd by a firm called Shazam. ?? p for the call and another 50p if they give you the answer, otherwise no further charge ie no result = no charge.
Thanks, AS. It's not often something from TV inspires a need to know but this one did!

Phishing e-mails thread doesn't say read only. - FotheringtonThomas
Why doesn't the "Site link to phishing e-mails" thread have "Read Only" against it? An omission, or something else?
Phishing e-mails thread doesn't say read only. - Dynamic Dave
Because I forgot to edit in the comment when I locked it. Thanks for the reminder. DD.
Phishing e-mails thread doesn't say read only. - rtj70
As Dave says, when a thread is made read only we have to manually edit it to add the string. And sometimes truncate the original to make it fit.
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Having started watching Wimbledon, with the sound off to avoid the ghastly grunting noises, I am beginning to wonder what it is all about. There are 2 people playing and I can't see all the support staff and officials but it looks like an umpire, 6 line judges and 6 ball people which is rather a lot.

There is rather less action than in a American Football match, about 30 seconds play in two minutes. Lots of strutting around, bouncing balls, wiping one's face between every point and smashing the ball into the net and the pantomime starts again. Lots of sitting around after every second game and so it goes on. Just as well the footie people don't need to wipe their faces every time they kick the ball! And pity the poor kids who have to cart the sweat soaked towels around.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 23/06/2009 at 15:27

Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - bell boy
strangely i havent watched tennis since 1977 but today decided to take the day off and put the tennis on,i really thought i had movie slasher film on with all the grunting till i looked at the screen,i can tell you i turned it off after 1 minute,its pathetic
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - drbe
Tennis is something else!

Can you name any other sporting activity which has such a disproportionate ratio of officials to players?

Can you name any other sporting activity where the person starting the game has two goes at it? Oh, dear, that ball went into the net, oh well, don't worry, it doesn't count, have another go!

I hate, I detest tennis with all the zeal, fervency and bile that I can summon.

I don't live very far from Wimbledon.

Did I mention that I don't like it?
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - Stuartli
>>Can you name any other sporting activity which has such a disproportionate ratio of officials to players?>>

The vast majority of tennis matches are played without any officials between two or four amateur players or, if a competitive event such as between clubs or a club competition, just an umpire.
In the circus being played out over the next fortnight in South West London, what is the proportion of players to officials there?

Your response to my other point concerning the need to hit a ball over a net and having two attempts is? :-
Stuartli

I apologise if that sounded a bit sharp!
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - David Horn
The only satisfaction I used to get from tennis was watching it be rained off. Now they've even taken that away from me... :-(
But now that it can't be rained off you won't have to listen to Warbling Cliff!
But now that it can't be rained off you won't have to listen to Warbling Cliff! >>

Amazing how many people saw this and still joke about it as though it was yesterday.

Yet it was 13 years ago...:-)
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - crunch_time
Can you name any other sporting activity which has such a disproportionate ratio of officials
to players?

I would guess F1 must come close, especially if you include Marshalls.

Virtually anyone can play tennis - very, very few are F1 drivers.
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - Nsar
>>I would guess F1 must come close<<

Sorry, you perhaps misunderstood, the question was about sports....
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - JH
it's "something else". It exists to fill up the time on all of those channels we have now and to provide employment for sports commentators. What else could they do?

Can someone please explain why the scoring goes up in inconsistent increments? On second thoughts, don't bother.

JH
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - Hector Brocklebank
It's neither a sport nor entertainment but a perfectly civilised and harmless game, like football or trivial pursuit. I find it can be quite fun to play but a little boring to watch, a bit like golf or football or trivial pursuit. Since we're on a motoring forum, what do people here think of golf anyway? My understanding is that the two interests are not compatible for some reason.
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - adverse camber
Golf?

Was it Mark Twain that described it as being a way to ruin a pleasant walk?

I agree with him.

I must say I'm getting concerned about some people here. They make what they describe as 'tea' using the abominable floor sweepings marketed as tea bags and now I find that people find tennis and golf entertaining?

Oh dear....
Today's DT sport announces, with no pride at all, the the British No 2 male tennis player has played at Wimbledon in 10 competitions and never won. Knocked out in the first round of the last 8 Wimbledon tournaments and never won a match in 2 Davis Cups. Perhaps he should take lessons from Jenson Button on how to turn his life around?
>>..and now I find that people find tennis and golf entertaining?>>

These sports and similar types are always more interesting and involving to actually participate in than watch on an everyday basis.

However, to see the top exponents of such sports (or in fact virtually any sport) in action can prove both exciting and entertaining.

Most people, for instance, regard themselves as good drivers, yet they really know in their hearts that, compared to Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton, Needall, Plato et al, they couldn't hold a candle to them if presented with a quick car and an empty race track.
>> Oh dear....

>>

Yes. With people like that, it does start to make one wonder whether one is using the correct forum for oneself.

;-0
Is Tennis sport, entertainment or something else? - piggy
There is rather less action than in a American Football match about 30 seconds play
in two minutes. Lots of strutting around bouncing balls>>

Ever tried watching cricket? (dives for cover)
North Cyprus. - El Hacko
anyone know Kyrenia, Nth Cyprus? Port looks nice (in photos), am looking for picturesque, quiet-ish spot with good choice of eateries for week in November. Any reasonable, comfortable hotel recommendations, say up to 4 star? And currency wise, best to take Turkish Lira and/or Euros?

thanks
EH

Edited by Pugugly on 23/06/2009 at 16:00

North Cyprus. - Pugugly
I went in 2005 - nice place - plenty of eateries on the harbour, best was the one bang in the middle with a rooftop level - otherwise its a bit iffy - the road that runs west out of town has various places on it, some of which were quite classy. We learnt to work our way around the harbour. Can be quite enchanting. In 05 the pound and US Dollar was more welcome than the Lira and attracted more favourable prices.

Top Tip.

Your Passport will be stamped on entry and exit - this can draw unwelcome attention in Greece. There is a form you can get that staples inside your passport and can be thrown away once you're home.
North Cyprus. - daveyjp
My parents have been a number of times and are going again in about 4 weeks. Check the flight situation.

In the past they have flown North Cyprus Airlines (KTHY) via Turkey. This was fine until last time they went (about 5 years ago) and two of the three aircraft operated by KTHY failed. They ended up stranded for 5 days while another aircraft was available form Onur Air.
North Cyprus. - Pugugly
Onur Air flight was pretty OK - certainly not as bad as painted, I put a bit on Travel Advisor about my experience - better than some.

Sorry I forgot to reply to your e-mail, there are other eateries around the Harbour, I just found the one in the middle to be the best as regards service, ambience and food !
Flight delay/cancellation - Armitage Shanks {p}
geoff1248 - there are now 17 answers to your query, at the link I posted in Vol 195. Most of them think that the legislation is badly worded but what you had was a cancellation.
Has anybody used BNI Networking? - Xtype
Has anybody used BNI (Business Networking Meetings).
A friend was in a similar situation to myself, setting up a new IT company, and had recommended participating in the BNI meetings as they generated quite a bit of business and helped him get off the ground.

They consist of around 15-20 individuals from different industries and backgrounds getting together each week for an hour or so to ?network? and pass leads/contacts etc.

The cost is £10 a session which I thought was very reasonable. But I went for the first time today and they advised you also have to pay £575 membership fee for 12 months.

Has anyone had any good /bad experiences or used them at all?
Like anything you only get out what you put in so I am very enthusiastic but as a new business owner £575 is still quite a large outgoing.
Has anybody used BNI Networking? - Happy Blue!
I was a member of a similar organisation. It worked for the IT guy in our club, but for a valuation surveyor it was limiting having only one bank manager on board.
Has anybody used BNI Networking? - Martin Devon
I was a member of a similar organisation. It worked for the IT guy in
our club but for a valuation surveyor it was limiting having only one bank manager
on board.

The bonus is that there was only One Bank Damager. Bunch of Fools. If they were any good they would be self employed.

"An Umbrella they'll lend you
When Sun's in the sky
Removed at the first sign of rain
From on high."

There's much more, but I'm waiting to publish, seriously.

MD
South Devon suggestions - bathtub tom
I've been instructed by SWMBO to book a holiday and Salcombe area's been suggested.

I enjoyed Dawlish many years ago, even though it rained all week, but never explored Salcombe area.

We're the sort of people who avoid places like Rock, Cornwall, but made the ghastly mistake of booking a holiday at Abersoch, Pwllheli once, because we knew no better.

We thoroughly enjoyed Amlych, Anglesey last year. We love small places with at least two pubs to eat (for variation).

Any suggestions?

South Devon suggestions - ifithelps
Dartmouth is a pleasant estuary-side town - try the Dart Marina hotel.

Salcombe is now quite touristy/yachty, if that's your bag.

Kingsbridge is slightly inland and could be a good base for exploring the coast and Dartmoor.

Lots of out-of-the way places in little coves.

Thurlestone is one such place, the Thurlestone Sands hotel has a good name and prices to match.

Bigbury-on-Sea is another, as is Hope Cove.

Allow plenty of time to get around, Devon lanes can be narrow and there can be a fair bit of traffic in the summer.

South Hams is lovely part of the world, so I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever bit you choose.

South Devon suggestions - pmh2
ifithelps has beaten me to it - but I was going to suggest something very similar

Dartmouth
Thurlestone
Totnes
Newton Ferrers (altho I have not been there for a good few years and am not aware of how much Plymouth suburbia has spread?)

I think if I had to make a decision, I would go to Totnes as it gives good access to Dartmoor and varying coastal strips.

Salcombe is pretty but I would only dream of going out of season - now over exploited as an upmarket 2nd home and tourist destination.

I would avoid Dawlish, Teignmouth & Torbay like the plague in season.

p
...ifithelps has beaten me to it...

pmh2,

I'll let you into a little secret - I was born on the patch so have the advantage of local knowledge.

Actually, when I was living there, we were a bit sniffy about 'visitors'. :)
South Devon suggestions - pmh2
I'll also let you into a little secret.......

I lived in Exeter in 1970 and my father lives in S Devon - and I have been a regular visitor to the area over the last 40 years!

What is Newton Ferrers like these days? My last visit was on honeymoon in 197x ;)

I am sniffy about visitors even tho I dont live there all the time! I actually prefer N Devon but free accommodation is not so available.

p
Not familiar with Newton Ferrers - my manor was restricted to the Kingsbridge Estuary and a few miles thereabouts.

A trip to Plymouth on the Western National was a big day out.

Never really explored North Devon for the same reason you have - I don't know anyone up there.

Speaking of fellow Devonians, I think a member of the Backroom constabulary might be one, so perhaps he'll be along in a minute.

South Devon suggestions - perro
Would you like Beer comrade Bathtub ~ www.beer-devon.co.uk/
South Devon suggestions - David Horn
Pretty much any South Devon town will put you on the beach or Dartmoor within 30 minutes. I live in Moretonhampstead (middle of Dartmoor) and can be at the sea surprisingly quickly. Don't discount the smaller towns further inland, although you may struggle to find somewhere to stay at this point in the year. We used to have holiday cottages and were invariably full for the summer by June.

Will ask around and see what others in the family suggest.
South Devon suggestions - billy25
went on a fishing trip to Plymouth two years ago - stayed at a lovely little hamlet on the Yealm estuary, called Noss Mayo, just over the other side of the river from Newton Ferrers, which is also a quiet, quaint little village. Noss Mayo / Newton Ferrers are quite a busy sailing yacht anchorage, but in season most of the yachties seen to "stay on board" with only fleeting visits to the local hostelries. At Noss Mayo, there are two pubs, the "Ship" and the "Swan", the car park for the "Ship" also doubles as the main square, but beware! - it often dissapears under water at high tide!.
For a quiet base from whiich to exlore the area, I can recommend it!
South Devon suggestions - wotspur
for several years we stayed at a rented out chalet within the grounds of St Mellions golf course, a lady local to us, owned and rented them out,since died - good location nice atmosphere great for golf and most "visitor destinations" within a short journey - contact the post office/newsagent in the village and I'm sure they'll be able to help -only thing is being so far inland -no sea view !!
South Devon suggestions - bathtub tom
Many thanks for all the advice.

You've convinced those that wanted to stay in the larger places.
theft advice - audiA6tdi
My son is at university staying in rented flat. Yesterday he went out and forgot to lock the front door. came back and his playstation is missing.
I no his silly for not locking the door but i guess its a lesson learnt for him.
Whats the score with the police - would they come out for this kind of crime due to the fact he left the property unsecured?
He asked around but none of the neighbours said they saw anything.
theft advice - maz64
Any CCTV in the area?
theft advice - pmh2
Take it as a cheap lesson - it could have been his laptop with his only copy of his 3rd year thesis!

I assume that he has already learnt the computer lesson of backing his work - much better to loose GSCE course work than work for his finals.

p
theft advice - audiA6tdi
no CCTV in the area.
I just wondered if the police would take any interest in this.
When my neighbours house was broken in to last year they took a day to come out to the scene of crime!
theft advice - perro
Have you got the serial No. ... give em a ring anyway, you never know!
theft advice - Mapmaker
If there's a more foolish thing than leaving your front door unlocked and losing your toys (how old is he? 12?) then it must be asking an internet chat forum whether the police are going to come out to a theft in an unknown location. How would we know?

Edited by Mapmaker on 25/06/2009 at 11:27

theft advice - maz64
If there's a more foolish thing

OP is just asking for people's experiences; I didn't think it was foolish. And he has no doubt pointed out the error of son's ways to him already.
theft advice - bathtub tom
Students! They're supposed to be intelligent.

One of my daughters demonstrated how to get into her shared house when she forgot her keys - give the door a kick!

I don't think she appreciated being told she'd just demonstrated to all and sundry how to break in.
theft advice - spikeyhead {p}
Students! They're supposed to be intelligent.

You're making the mistake of equating intelligence with common sense.
theft advice - Armitage Shanks {p}
No chance of any police interest at all! My partner had £5000 worth of stuff stolen from her garage, with oily handprints on the white painted door. Got a letter addressed to "Dear Victim", a crime number and a visit from a part-time Crime Reduction Officer, 3 days later. They aren't allowed (due to Political Correctness) to call themselves Crime Prevention people because they can't prevent crime, apparently.

However, abuse a Sikh in your local supermarket and you you'll be down your local station PDQ!
DNA & prints on file - mike_SW1
My son was arrested last year and released without charge (related to graffiti).
If you are released without charge, how long do your finger prints stay on file for?
He was 19 at the time, this was a year ago.

Thank you.
Mike

DNA & prints on file - rtj70
I would imagine the DNA could stay on record forever but that won't be a problem if they don't do anything wrong.

Not sure about the fingerprints but someone on here (maybe DVD) will know for sure.
DNA & prints on file - FotheringtonThomas
I would imagine the DNA could stay on record forever

The UK Gov't is in breach of an ECHR judgement. The police should immediately destroy DNA and fingerprint records of around 1 million innocent people (including those of 100,000 children). The Gov't. is however prevaricating, and this destruction may not happen very quickly. This is an outrage.

but that won't be a problem if they don't do anything wrong.

It certainly is a problem. a) It's illegal, and b) there's a good possibility of false matches.

Not sure about the fingerprints but someone on here (maybe DVD) will know for sure.

See above.
DNA & prints on file - jbif
how long do your finger prints stay on file for? >>

Try: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=75...8
and
www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/Retention%20o...f
www.whereisyourdata.co.uk/whereismydata/2008/08/16.../
whereismydata.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/acpo-guidel.../

plus many other links via www.bing.com/?cc=uk or google

Employment Suggestions Please - stackman
Since I lost my job before Christmas I have had no luck in securing further employment. I am in my early forties and have a background in structural engineering, draughting and management. I don't have a degree or any formal qualifications past A level, I did one year of an Engineering degree and then a six month engineering practice course with Rolls Royce in Bristol.

I have worked as a draughtsman and contracts manager for a company designing and erecting steel chimneys, for a few years with my own specialist design and drawing company, as a draughtsman using specialist 3D CAD software to draw steel framed buildings and as a drawing office manager. In between I have worked in the motor trade and done bar work.

I have skills in CAD, MS Office, some programming experience and can complete the Telegraph crossword! I have good communications skills at all levels, do good work in my local community and enjoy travel and motorsports.

I have applied for countless jobs and have had only one interview since Christmas. There are practically no positions in my specialised field and when I apply for other positions which would utilise my transferable skills then I am seen as overqualified. As the lady in the Jobcentre said yesterday, nobody is going to give me a job driving a van as they think I will be gone in a couple of months.

I do have a home office and have worked from home before. I am registered with countless agencies and subscribe to numerous jobsearch websites.

So, in these straightened times, what can the panel suggest I try now? I know I am not going to get back into draughting work until things pick up but does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should try to ply my talents? (Legally of course!)
Employment Suggestions Please - Mapmaker
You used to run your own company, so do so again. Do you have computers/kit etc up to the job?

Where did you used to find the freelance work? Get out there, get networking and make some money. (I know it's not that easy, but you know you can do it.)
Employment Suggestions Please - rtj70
With the housing market stalled and people perhaps looking to extend instead of moving - can you offer your services to produce plans for extensions etc? i.e. use your draughtsman skills?
Employment Suggestions Please - gmac
You say you do not have a degree or any formal quals. beyond A level.
Although you have until recently worked in the industry how about doung some form of recognised qualification to add to your experience ?
Is there a recognised trade organisation who you could study through ? This could be done in conjunction with the suggestion of starting your own business/ doing freelance work.

Edited by gmac on 26/06/2009 at 12:55

Employment Suggestions Please - Paul Robinson
Short term, I think your best bet is to revive your own business and look for 'freelance' work. Most employers don't let staff go unless they really have to, then become reluctant to take people on again, if they do have bits of work going they are more likely to give it to freelancers, until they become more confident.

Longer term, we need to accept that the world is changing and some people may not be needed to do the work they've done in the past and this may be the case for you. New roles will evolve and you may need a plan to acquire new skills to secure new work. Low carbon energy and technology are expected to be growth areas.

Good luck!
Birthday info - where did they get my data from? - oldnotbold
I received a letter by Royal Mail sent by a local restaurant suggesting I have my birthday celebration there, and offering me a bottle of house wine, on the house.

I've not eaten there, nor have I been telling the world that I will be 50 in just under four weeks, so how did they get the DoB info., and my address?

I have opted out of the element of the electoral roll that has to be available for sale.
Birthday info - where did they get my data from? - bintang
Agencies collect unprotected (or badly protected) data from a variety of sources, collate it into lists and sell these to advertisers. Hence junk mail, junk email, junk phone calls and junk door-to door deliveries and sales calls.
Birthday info - where did they get my data from? - NorfolkDriver
Hi,

Dont know the answer to your query, but would just like to say "Happy Birthday" for just under four weeks time!

Holiday Hotel and Road Works Nearby - deepwith
Wonder if any of you have experience/advice. We have never been on a package type holiday so are new to this.
My son and his girlfriend have been booked into a hotel in Tenerife, leaving on Tuesday, via a major travel company. On the confirmation letter which has arrived this week, there is a small paragraph at the end of the letter informing them that there are works going on the road/pavement outside the hotel and that everything possible will be done to put residents in rooms away from the noise/mess. This was not mentioned at the time of booking or collection of tickets.
He has now spoken to the person who sold them the holiday, who basically says they did not know this work was going on and that there is nothing they can do. They should wait til they get there and then complain to the Rep if it is unbearable! Funnily enough, as the confirmation comes from the company, in my ignorance I would have expected the company to flag this up in their branches?

So. if it is awful, is there a hope that they will move? As son is an asthmatic, well controlled, will his insurance refuse to pay out if there is a problem while he is there, as they knew about the work before they left?

Edited by rtj70 on 26/06/2009 at 18:01

Holiday Hotel and Road Works Nearby - perro
I used to live in Tenerife comrade, you're going to Las Americas or Los Cristianos I take it, you should be ok but - yes, they will move you if you complain!
There is sooooooooo much to see & do that you won't be in the Hotel that much.
Why people go abroad with the fine weather here at the mo, beats me :)
As for the ins. check with the ins. co. just in case.

Edited by rtj70 on 26/06/2009 at 18:01

Holiday Hotel and Road Works Nearby - deepwith
Thanks, Perro.
Reason for trip now is that he has a couple of week with no jobs and she gets her time off now as they have no children (thank goodness!!), other staff get the school holidays. The time she has accumulated they will also be able to take time out in the winter months.
Now just have to get them to Gatwick on Tuesday :-(
Holiday Hotel and Road Works Nearby - perro
The weather in the Canaries is about the same as here at the mo - 74f
I was going to suggest a trip up to mount Teide but probably not a good idea with Asthma!
Best time for the Canaries is wintersun - 70° in feb (fab!)
I've been to all the main islands but never got around to isla de La Palma though.
Ignor what some folk say about Tenerife, they'd say the same about Cornwall if they went to Newquay :)
Humidity... - bintang
...will make itself felt over the next 3 days but how is it measured? BBC Weather Centre gives 57% for my area today whereas my home weather station shows 38%. I presume they are usiung different formulae?
Humidity... - rtj70
BBC Weather does not measure humidity in your home though ;-)

BBC weather also a forecast using a simulation of the weather system. Pretty complex mathematics involved so not always 100% accurate.
Humidity... - L'escargot
If you have a wet-and-dry bulb thermometer and a barometer you can calculate the relative humidity from the following website. www.ringbell.co.uk/info/humid.htm
E-BAY PAYPAL - Martin Devon
Don't need a rollocking, just an answer.

I don't use either very often, but have a PayPal account which I guess I have attached/connected to a credit card acc'. Now where do I go in their menu to find out where I have attached it to as I wish to 'draw down' my paltry £105.00. I know I should know, but I don't. I only 'play' on Flea bay. Mind you low value stuff, by the time you've paid them and PP, one wonders why one bothers. If you could assist chaps I would be eternally grateful.

VBR.....MD

P.S. Anyone see Rossi and Toseland today??
E-BAY PAYPAL - maz64
If I go to My Account / Withdraw / Transfer to Bank Account, I get a drop-down to allow me to select which account to transfer eg. 'Nationwide Current xxxx1234'. Does that help?
E-BAY PAYPAL - Martin Devon
If I go to My Account / Withdraw / Transfer to Bank Account I get
a drop-down to allow me to select which account to transfer eg. 'Nationwide Current xxxx1234'.
Does that help?

I've got there Focus, but in my ignorance of these things/sites I KNOW that I have registered (or whatever one chooses to call it), a Card account to deal with this which I thought one HAD to have any excess paid into. I guess that if one makes purchases and has insufficient funds in PayPal then they WILL take them from elsewhere, i.e this account. I just presumed that my dough (if requested) would come back via the same route, for which I cannot find my details.

I am finding this a little bit embarrassing as I write excel spreadsheets for Contractors starting up, deal with my own accounts et al, but my own (e-bay...etc..) stuff, where I 'play' and can't be too bothered, gets in an almighty mess.

I hate modernity..............Martin D.
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Armitage Shanks {p}
I was in Sainsbury's today, put a marker board down after the previous customer's shopping and put mine on the belt. It went thru and then the next person's stuff started coming thru and being scanned on my bill. I said "That's not my shopping" and was told by the next customer that I should have put a marker down behing my shopping. I said "No, that's for you to do" paid and left. He chased after me and said that I should "Learn from my mistakes". I told him that I had nothing to learn from him and asked him where he lived; "XXXX" he replied. I suggested that he think of moving to "YYY" as they were looking for a village idiot and we left it that! Apart from being rather childish (me) what is the approved and normal behaviour when loading shopping on the belt?
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - jbif
AS - Very naughty and risky behaviour in today's UK, by both parties. Either of both could easily end up with GBH or worse, or facing a trip to the nick to have your DNA taken for alleged threatening behaviour.

As for the question, I always put the marker down as a matter of common courtesy, even though I find that about maybe 75% to 80% of people in front of me usually do not.

p.s. Have all your various PC problems been resolved?

Edited by jbif on 27/06/2009 at 21:17

Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks to all for thoughts on the supermarket matter. Yes jbif my various computer problems are sorted or lived thru! If I had thought about the supermarket thing I would have let his shopping (not much and stuff I could have used) go through and paid for it and taken it home. Then he could have gone round the shop and done his shopping again!
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Stuartli
It's polite - as well as sensible - to put a marker board behind your shopping after emptying your trolley.

Sometimes there may not be a board available, so people normally leave a space between your shopping and theirs when placing items on the belt.

Were you having a bad day?

I know exactly how you felt if you were..:-)
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Bromptonaut
I think AS followed the correct ettiquette. You arrive at the checkout, take a divider and place it behind the previous person's shopping as they get their last items on the belt. If they have a family sized shop goods will already be being scanned before they finish unloading the trolley.

Finding another marker and placing it for/passing it to the following customer is a courtesy.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 27/06/2009 at 22:18

Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Fullchat
And I thought I led life on he edge! :-]
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - bell boy
sorry but as i posted the other week
the etiquecky is YOU put the marker at the END of your shopping
it is the previous customers job to sort their end out or they get MY/YOUR shopping on their bill
it never ends in fisticuffs because i always pretend i didnt realise;-)
result is another customer that uses a brain as well as cashback at the tills
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Pugugly
Up to the customer behind you if you didn't do it. Hope you didn't send him to my village which already has a disproportionate number of idiots. Who needs those markers anyway ? managed perfectly well for years without them !

Edited by Pugugly on 28/06/2009 at 09:24

Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Alby Back
Don't some folk just love fences? Must be some kind of primitive territorial thing. So much so we even feel we need them on supermarket check out belts. I deliberately don't use them at either end to irritate people. Just leave an adequate gap. You can see though that it unnerves some......
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - ifithelps
...Just leave an adequate gap. You can see though that it unnerves some....

It annoys me when some of the next person's shopping is added to my bill and the assistant has to call a manager, an IT expert and International Rescue to sort it out.

Oh, and morning Humph - grumpy demeanour due to my not sleeping too well last night.
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Alby Back
Oh you can get around that too. Just sort of casually hang back leaning on the counter idly inspecting the Kinder eggs or Johnny Cash's greatest hits CDs as your shopping progresses. You will hear the odd tut and often feel the nudge of a trolley in the small of your back but it all adds to the thrill really......Failing that, just turn and glare at them. If you lack the confidence or willingness to do that I find allowing your face to slacken and grinning inanely and fixedly works too.
Supermarket Check-out Etiquette - Manatee
As BB says, the etiketty is for you to put the marker down after your shopping, but he should check - would he walk into a door because somebody didn't hold it open for him? Of course he knew that - he probably does it all the time. Just an awkward B., best not to rise.