What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 295 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 296 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 295. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/06/2009 at 13:42

Retail stores in decline due to internet? - oilrag
Saved £130 on a TV over major store buying off the web. Store wouldn`t negotiate at all.
I mean, I used to be reticent buying off the web but now so many things are available via Amazon - recently a TV, tools, music player and about twenty other items. Easy too via the one click` feature.

I might have spit the £130 difference on the TV, if the store had met me halfway (and been stupid to do so) but no. NO. You would think I had just asked for it for free given the reaction. Then there would have been the delivery charge.

There must be a massive profit on electrical items = 1GB RAM £!2.99 from Mr Memory and £45 from the big high st store.

My point is that if I`m now buying like this so must others too who were perhaps resistant to online purchase in past years.

What`s betting some retail shopping outlets start to close under the pressure. Sad in a way - but what would you do? pay extra from your own pocket?

That`s the question - how do you feel about web purchases in the context of local retailers?

(To be honest, I suspect them of running cartels in the past and as such, deserve it - not the actual workers though)

Edited by oilrag on 16/06/2009 at 19:28

Retail stores in decline due to internet? - JH
oilrag,
I've been buying goods off the internet for a long time. There are some things that I want to see before I make my mind up and I will buy them from a shop (fridge, washing machine), others, particularly where reliable reviews are available, I'm happy to buy off the web. Saved about £30 on a new printer recently. Provided you stick to reliable suppliers you should not have a problem. Am I allowed to recommend hughesdirect.co.uk? They've passed the JH "what happens when things go wrong test".

What "local retailers" by the way? I go out of my way to support them but mostly you've only got the local branch of a major chain.

Clothes 'n shoes - shops only! Every 10 years or so :-)

JH
Hi JH, Don`t want to name them really given the cartel inference I made - one of the big retail park `Electrical/white goods places - here in West Yorkshire.

I don`t like dealing with companies that stand alone on the web, (but have done). Amazon seems to be the `front agent` (If that`s the correct term) for so many suppliers, I prefer that as a known quantity. Thanks for you suggestion though I`ll look it up.

Retail stores in decline due to internet? - Stuartli
>>..Amazon seems to be the `front agent`>>

Amazon is a fine example of a quality on-line outlet, especially for items bought direct from it rather than third parties and has the after care standards that people expect, but don't always receive.
Retail stores in decline due to internet? - pmh2
'We are never knowingly undersold ' offered me £130 back when I presented them with the documentary evidence of a 32" Sony TV being sold at the lower price by a small independent who trades on the internet but who also has a a small retail outlet. I hasten to add that it was my game plan to get the refund as JL also offered a 'free' 5 year guarantee and are well known for good after sales.

I had previuosly sucessfully had a price match from them against a Richer Sounds Freeview tuner that represented a discount of about 50%!

p
o,
but when was this? I did the same thing about 6 / 7 years ago but "never knowingly undersold" now excludes web purchases and is restricted to shops within a limited number of miles. Might be 7.
JH
Yeah, I think I read something along those lines - but not a penny off for an `internet ` quote. They were a little indignant at it being mentioned but at the same time seem to have financial problems.
This was a couple of weeks ago.

,>>>but when was this?<<<<

15 months ago. The independent was about 25 miles away (the other side of London). I had done my homework to ensure that distance was not a barrier (as I was also under the impression of a 7 mile limit).

If the local JL had refused I would have bought through another JL within the 7 mile radius, (by telephone), and would have had it delivered via the local store!

On the strength of my sucess one of my friends did exactly the same thing 2 days later.

The strength of my case was that the independent also had a retail outlet as well as quoting web prices. JL do check by telephone to ensure stock is available. (So I had a couple of reserve shops at a slightly lesser discount up my sleeve!)

p

Edited by pmh2 on 16/06/2009 at 20:36

p
Shopping gets harder! You need a map, distances and plenty of web research. I think we'll just keep this tv a while longer. It's too heavy to move anyway! :-)
JH
>>My point is that if I`m now buying like this so must others too who were perhaps resistant to online purchase in past years.>>

My best mate ran an independent audio/visual/appliances retail outlet for many years, but even as a member of a major central buying group (with far more buying power than any of the big stores) which enabled him to priced goods competitively, it became harder and harder to make a living.

Many on-line retailers of large items don't have storage facilities, but arrange delivery direct from the manufacturer or, perhaps, a wholesaler.

Not for them the basic overheads of any retail outlet, which remain no matter how few or many goods are sold in the course of a week.

Nor, indeed, those so-called customers who used all his expertise to make a buying decision on, say, a TV or washing machine before asking for his lowest price (although already very competitive).

Quite a few of them would then say they could buy it cheaper at high street outlets or on-line and walk out of the shop; some even had the audacity, if their purchase elsewhere went faulty, to come back and ask him to undertake the repairs.

They were politely but firmly told to take it back to where they bought it.

>>>They were politely but firmly told to take it back to where they bought it. <<<

The reason why buying from JL makes sense!

PS was the buying group Euronics?

p
Retail stores in decline due to internet? - Altea Ego
Use Comet on line

Same price as all the other online retailers, cheap delivery on the day you choose and they collect your old stuff for a small fee.

Used them for the new Bosch washing machine. - Perfect shopping
Retail stores in decline due to internet? - ifithelps
The best internet price for the Honda lawnmower I'm thinking of buying seems to be around £250, although I've not spent that long researching it.

Walked into a traditional supplier - trading under the owner's name - in rural County Durham.

Idyllic spot, birdsong at lunchtime and they have their own meadow where you can field test your prospective purchase.

On-site workshop doing servicing and repairs.

Quoted a straight £250 for the mower.

I'm not too fussed about a few quid either way, but the internet is useful for establishing the going rate.

Did much the same when I bought the CC3.
Retail stores in decline due to internet? - rtj70
I bought my LCD TV lat Nov/Dec in John Lewis and their price was very good. They had price matched either Tesco or Sound and Vision.

Someone above is right in saying JL will only price match a real store but Sound and Vision (mostly online) have a store near Bolton which is not far from the Trafford Centre. So if JL price match against S&V you can probably get that price online too with JL, or so I believe.
Retail stores in decline due to internet? - gordonbennet
I suppose we buy most of our goods from t'internet now, have had to eat a lot of words only 5 or 6 years ago i'd never used a computer and swore blind i never would.

For many years the standards of customer service have steadily declined, how many times have you sheepishly and apologetically tried to get an assistants attention when they were having an intense conversation and totally ignoring the people who indirectly pay their wages....no use complaining to the 18 year old manager either.

Another reason for us shopping online is parking, both cost and problems, and traffic planners going out of their way to make a simple trip to a shopping area a nightmare.

I could rant for hours on traffic system stupididty and the death of the town centres, if they make them a nightmare and expensive to use then we won't go there...am i the only one who feel this way?

I like to give business to good local independents, not many left in the retail sector, but the tyres and mechanical indy sector in our area is still fairly well supplied with competent and reasonable people.

The biggest problem now is finding someone who's not a direct descendent of Dick Turpin to repair your white goods.
pmh2

That was indeed the buying group.

I have no qualms about JL - another example of how a retail business should be conducted; a lot of it is due, no doubt, to the employees' involvement in ensuring success.

Edited by Stuartli on 16/06/2009 at 23:56

Retail stores in decline due to internet? - BobbyG
I did exactly what Rob says above when I recently bought a Panasonic Plasma from JL. Emailed Glagow store with the price query quoting sound&vision, next morning received email back with a reference number saying they would price match.

The bigger picture here though is the demise of the retail outlet. They can't compete on prices with web places due to overheads costs and buying powers. However, in a similar way that people complain about car prices and "dealers" (webmasters comment - please note correct spelling which begins with 'd' and not 'st') making profits, but don't link this to the fact that the next time they go to the dealer its closed down cos everyone wanted their cars for nothing and the servicing done on the cheap.

I recently renewed my 02 phone contract. Their shops can't match the web deals, but guy in the shop was willing to spend time giving advice on different phones etc. Wonder what sort of targets places like O2 put on their shops when they know that they are competing with their own web deals? Do they accept that they may run at a loss or maybe just cover costs but without them their web operation would not be as strong as it is?

Supermarkets do online shopping which goes against all their marketing and merchandising policies. They receive money from suppliers to have their proucts at eye level, at checkouts etc they have now had to change this to have their products "recommended" on website shopping lists.

Retail world is hugely changing!!

Edited by Webmaster on 17/06/2009 at 02:07

jobseeker questions - claybar
Just been made redundant today, rang up and applied for job seekers allowance. Couple of questions I need help on:

1) Can I not get prescriptions free or a at a reduced rate?

2) Thinking of setting up a business, been on my mind for couple of years now and perhaps this is the time to do it. Can i operate as a soletrader using my own bank or do I need a small business bank account?

Thanks in advance
jobseeker questions - rtj70
Sorry to hear the bad news. I don't know the answer on the prescription but would think it is covered with proof of picking it up.

As for bank account, you can have more than one current account for free (even with the same bank) so that might be an option? I manage one of my son's bills account online - long story why I should but I know where he and therefore we are :-)
jobseeker questions - Falkirk Bairn
Presciptions - free if assessed JSA i.e. rent/rates/dependents

Prescriptions free - no if contribution based - i.e just £60.30 / week
jobseeker questions - AlastairW
You do not need a 'business' bank account to run a sole trade business, though it can make the bookkeeping simpler. Personally I would start off with your normal bank account, being careful to highlight business transactions on each statement. If the business takes off, then its time to think about a separate account.

IMO banks like to sell a separate business account so that they can charge you for using it at some point in the future!
jobseeker questions - bell boy
santander (alliance and leicester) will do you a free business account for one year, then so long as you dont go overdrawn you pay £15 a month less any interest the following years
beauty is you can pay money in at any post office so you dont need to go into town at all

obviously this might change in the near future
jobseeker questions - Martin Devon
Sorry to hear about your situation.

Although I haven't done the following I am about to and all of the people I know that have swear by it.

Look up the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB.whatever!) It makes quite good reading.

Also a colleague of mine (Joinery workshop) several employees and quite large turnover swears by the co-op bank. Never ever had a problem. The FSB links to the co-op Bank I believe. I do have a co-op bank account which I have never used, but the notable thing when setting it up was their complete lack of fuss and they never bother me with carp.

IMHO both worth a shot and I am a cynical old B!

Good luck..........................MD
jobseeker questions - Pugugly
Second the Co-Op Bank, been with them for several years, the only mistake they made they readily recognised and compensated - and as MD says no crap.
Second the Co-Op Bank been with them for several years the only mistake they made
they readily recognised and compensated - and as MD says no crap.

Pug said CRAP, Pug said CRAP. Go on DD castrate him or sumfink.

Ha ha..................................M
jobseeker questions - Pugugly
I've said crap for years - long before I became a Mod - so there :-J
jobseeker questions - Alby Back
Oh I dunno PU. Don't be too hard on yourself...........

;-)
I am sure several of us have been berated (whatever that means) by using such a bad word!!

Not as bad as my ageing (86) Mother-in-Law recently, being driven by SWMBO and they were delayed when out of the blue came (she doesn't swear) "Where's all this efin traffic come from." The Missus was in tears apparently. Such is life. Oh! how we laughed, nearly paid me Poll tax!

vbr...........Martin
jobseeker questions - madux
I've said crap for years - long before I became a Mod - so there
:-J

I typed 'spices' here once and it came up as pink fluffy dice. Reason given was that HJ has a huge following in the far east, where spice may or may not be a swear word........
Testing, testing......
Can't say I have ever seen that many posts here from the far east, though, apart from the excellent 'Letter from the colonies' guy. Whatever happened to him?
>>Can't say I have ever seen that many posts here from the far east, though, apart from the
excellent 'Letter from the colonies' guy. Whatever happened to him?

HJ has links to the far east and travels there frequently.

Sadly the Growler who posted "letters from the colonies" died of cancer I believe. He is missed.
jobseeker questions - drbe
>>
Sadly the Growler

>>

With respect to you and him.

THe Growler
beauty is you can pay money in at any post office so you dont need to go into town at all

I do that with Barclays. And other banks allow you to pay in at the post office too. I could go to a Barclays branch but try to support the local post offices,
so just to confirm could i use my own bank account but have cheques written out to a company name? Can banks do this? I want it to look proffesional and not have cheques written out to me.

thanks
If paid into your account they need to be in your name. Is that really a problem as a temporary solution?
jobseeker questions - ifithelps
If you want to 'look professional' straight away, then form a limited company:

tinyurl.com/nk6ngz

The above link is one, but plenty of other similar services available from about £30 to £100.

You can then go to a bank with the documents and open a business bank account which will feature the company name on the chequebook.

Your customers can then write cheques to 'you' using the company name and you can pay them in.

Edited by ifithelps on 18/06/2009 at 08:23

jobseeker questions - Mapmaker
1. Do NOT form a company. People like me will take a shed load of cash off you for administering the paperwork that goes with a company.

2. What is a company. Or, what is a sole trade? Many people get these confused.

I, Mapmaker, can start a trade selling computers. I can give my business a name, "Big Bytes are Us". And then I can set up a business account and tell the bank that this is my business's name, and then cheques payable either to "Mr Mapmaker" or "BBareUS" will be accepted. And my chequebook will say BBareUS on the bottom.

Alternatively, I can go to a huge amount of paperwork, and then set up a Company. Big Bytes are Us Ltd. I will then need to submit annual accounts to Companies House, and a Corporation Tax return to HMRC. Pay dividends to myself, operate PAYE on any salary to myself, etc. etc. etc.

Most of the general public cannot tell the difference between a company and a sole trade with a business name. (You have just proved this point.)

Whatever it is you are doing, make sure you have indemnity insurance.

Good luck.

And remember, when your turnover in a period of under 12 months reaches 67,000 you need to register for VAT. Again, do not be tempted "voluntarily" to register for VAT unless you supply mostly other businesses. The opportunity to claim back loads of cash is more than tempered by the amount you would have to put your prices up to private customers.
jobseeker questions - Mapmaker
Oh yes, and banks soon spot if you're paying 100 cheques a month into a private account, and will want you to upgrade.

For simplicity in keeping your private and business lives separate, for when you come to do your tax return, a second current account is a really good idea.

Don't forget to register as self employed with the taxman within 3 (I think) months of starting. Monthly payments of NI to be made too.

And finally, when it comes to pricing, don't forget contingencies. Most small businesses that fail, fail because they underprice. If you wonder why the washing machine man is £50 call out plus £50 per hour, yet still drives a tatty old Fiesta, that is why.
thanks for that advice mapmaker, really helpful.
I think I will stick to being a soletrader and talk to my bank about setting up a business name on the account.
jobseeker questions - daveyjp
Friends ran a number of businesses through their own account. They ended up in a real mess as all the transactions for tehir whole life were through one account.

This left them with a negotiated £10,000 fine to HMRC for failure to provide adequate records for tax calculation purposes.

Flight delays - geoff1248
Last Sunday we were booked to fly with a well known budget airline from East Midlands to Prague. For reasons I won't go into were told by the Captain that the flight was cancelled and we were all off loaded. We were all then transferred by coach to an hotel in Luton for an overnight stay and loaded onto a flight the next morning from Luton rather than East Midlands. Now we were given a piece of paper by the airline detailing compensation we could claim. One of the claims is in respect of cancellation and we can claim EUR 250 per passenger if a flight is cancelled. Now here comes the sneeky bit; I rang the airline as soon as we got back from Prague and asked how we go about putting in a claim for compensation. They replied over the phone that the original flight wasn't cancelled at all just re-arranged. Now to me the fact that it flew from a different airport on a different day with a different flight number would indicate to me that this was not the original flight. The original flight never left the ground. So battle is about to commence. Any BRs experienced any similar problems and how did you resolve it?
Flight delays - Armitage Shanks {p}
If a representative of the airline (ie the Captain) told you the flight was cancelled then it was cancelled. Normally they say it was a delay and you don't have much a of a case but different airport and different day and Flt No is cancelled and replaced, I'd say. I think there is a firm of solicitors that speciase in this sort of thing. Get some of the other passengers to join you in some sort of joint action. Irwin Mitchell comes to mind - just checked on Google and they exist and do this sort of thing
I have posted your question on an aviation website and you should be able to follow the comments, here tinyurl.com/nv3rnv

11 replies now, to your question, at the link I posted.
Flight delays - Altea Ego
The airline is right

you were re-arranged onto a new flight, because the old one didnt take off.

cancelled? of course not.....
Flight delays - ifithelps
Are you claiming compo because you were genuinely inconvenienced or just because you can?

A friend of mine was delayed for a couple of nights in Frankfurt thanks to Lufthansa and said he had a wonderful time - all found.

He didn't have the heart to ask for any more.

Don't get me wrong. I would have a go if I was badly put out by an airline, but for having to spend one night in Luton and one night fewer where you were going, I wonder if it's worth the bother.

The words "Wonderful time" and "Hotel in Luton" are rarely seen together. It is no bother to claim money to which one is legally entitled and I think the LoCo airline are just trying it on, as usual.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 18/06/2009 at 20:18

Flight delays - ifithelps
AS,

Unlike some, I was able to resist the obvious cheap shot at Luton, Beds.

I bet the Holiday Inn does a decent steak and chips, and I'll guarantee it's licensed to sell ale.

The roof won't leak and it will be warm in winter and air conditioned cool in summer.

What more could the weary traveller want? (When someone else is paying.)

Flight delays - Martin Devon
I bet the Holiday Inn does a decent steak and chips and I'll guarantee it's
licensed to sell ale.

The Holiday Inn I stayed at was 5 star. If it was a youth hostel that is.

MD
Flight delays - Stuartli
From what I've seen of the TV series featuring said airline, its staff have always seemed very quick to refuse a refund, but equally so to charge a high price for someone (perhaps unfortunately delayed) to be put on another flight.

Incidentally when one of my offspring went to Venice with her husband using the same low-cost airline she later discovered that, after adding up all the extra charges, the difference in the overall price if they had flown with British Airways was minimal (and probably would have meant much less hassle).
A co-passenger on that flight has stated that the aircraft was late in from a previous sector, was then loaded and went u/s with an aircon fault and by the time it was fixed the crew had insufficient duty time left to fly to Prague and back so the flight was 'Cancelled'. Please check my posted link - only 2 replies so far. I agree with stuartli, one has to have a lot of time to check all the differences but I now fly scheduled where the price paid includes a sensible amount of luggage, a passable snack/meal, the ability to check in on line (but it is voluntary) and one can book a seat during on line check in and the flights usually don't involve getting out of bed at 0200 to be at the airport for an 0430 check-in.
Flight delays - scouseford
> but for having to spend one night in Luton <

Luton rather than Prague? I think that I would be hacked off if it happened to me.
Not Motoring but prob' worth it to all - Martin Devon
Thought this might be important to everyone.

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
All numbers (including those belonging to children) will be open to cold calling.

To remove your number go here.

www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

I've done it.

Cheers..............MD
Not Motoring but prob' worth it to all - Martin Devon
I meant that to be in a new thread hence the title. Oh Damn and blast.

MD
Not Motoring but prob' worth it to all - Old Navy
Thanks for the tip MD, mobiles sorted!
Not Motoring but prob' worth it to all - jbif
The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.

All numbers (including those belonging to children) will be open to cold calling. >>

Am I misunderstanding something here? The website www.118800.co.uk/ says:

"How it works
We do NOT give out mobile phone numbers.
Instead, when you search on 118800.co.uk, we´ll send an SMS message to the person you´re seeking, giving them your contact details so they can call you back.
In order to start your search:
1. Fill in the details of who you want to contact
2. If we find them, we'll text them with your details
3. You'll be charged £1 if we succeed

and their FAQ says:

Will I get sales calls via 118 800?
We do not sell or pass data to any commercial organisations. So we think it?s unlikely you will receive many sales calls via our service. But we will monitor call patterns for any suspicious activity, investigate complaints thoroughly and de-list anyone we feel is abusing the service. "

So for a cold caller to phone you or your children, they need to know your full name and location, and then pay £1 to have an SMS sent to you, and you can then choose to contact the cold caller if you wish.

I wonder how many cold callers are going to try that system of contacting you?

Edited by jbif on 19/06/2009 at 11:32

Not Motoring but prob' worth it to all - Stuartli
Seems the service failed on its very first day of action...:-)

tinyurl.com/n4xvpn
Quick trip to Berlin - Alby Back
I need to go to Berlin for a couple of days next month. I live in Cheshire but don't mind using London airports if necessary to get a good deal.

Any suggestions re airlines / airports for a saving ?

I know about Air Berlin out of Stansted and Ryanair out of East Mids. Any others I should be checking out ?

Thanks, H

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 19/06/2009 at 17:52

Quick trip to Berlin - Armitage Shanks {p}
Have a look at www.skyscanner.net using that you can search for flights from any Uk airport and a selection of dates. Fares will be cheaper if you can be flexible on dates, obviously. £40 return out of Stansted INCLUDING taxes with Ryanair, Air Berlin and one other on direct flights

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 19/06/2009 at 21:05

Thanks AS. I'll check that out.
Quick trip to Berlin - Rattle
When I went to Berlin I risked it and flew from Liverpool with Easyjet it was a few years ago but it was cheap and efficient.

I hate flying more than motorways so we then got the train to Amsterdam which was delayed (took 8 hours so we got got drunk while passing through difference cities). We then went onto Paris, stayed there for a few nights then went to London via Eurotunnel and then a train back to Manchester.

Much better fun on flying on some bland budget airline, but if time is an issue which your case it is it is not recomended!

PS If you have never been Berlin is a great city to spot unusual cars. Saw plenty of Trabants, Wertburgs(sp) and other communist stuff. It is also one of the most depressing cities I have ever been to, everything is built of concrete, its like Wythenshawe but 300 times bigger. Thankfully it also has lots of great musuems, pubs and beer :).
Quick trip to Berlin - gmac
Only other airline I can think of is German Wings (Lufthansa sub-co) who fly out of Stansted or Edinburgh direct. Won't get anywhere near GBP40 though. Taxes out of UK are GBP55.
Quick trip to Berlin - gmac
Or you could fly with Stelios from Liverpool to Berlin.
Thanks gmac.
A question for tea drinkers. - Hector Brocklebank
Why does tea taste so much nicer when you put the milk in first?
A question for tea drinkers. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Some support for both methods of adding milk - first or last can be found here
www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1400,...l

I personally go for milk second because, as observed by George Orwell, you can get the right amount in. Milk first and you may get too much and thus pale tea

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 19/06/2009 at 21:13

A question for tea drinkers. - Martin Devon
Why does tea taste so much nicer when you put the milk in first?

I am afraid you won't get away with this HBB. No chance.

You will have to elaborate methinks. You don't say whether you make it in the cup, in a pot and there are so many other variables that you will have to consider. Bags or loose tea?

For now I am going to continue with the Hobgoblin, traditionally crafted ruby beer at 5.2% alc vol hic.

By the morning I expect answers to the questions so that I may undertake my own experiment (milk in first) to ascertain if I am in agreement avec vous.

Yours truly..................MD
A question for tea drinkers. - rtj70
But MD if you made it in the cup would you add milk first (no) and if loose tea again not made in the cup ;-)

A Hobgoblin might be nice about now.
A question for tea drinkers. - bathtub tom
I've still got a Goblin teasmade, dunno about the Hob. I don't like hobnobs.
Hobgoblin is a bottled ale.
But MD if you made it in the cup would you add milk first (no)
and if loose tea again not made in the cup ;-)
A Hobgoblin might be nice about now.

I still need HIS answers. I want to know!! How does he do it?? This is going to be my next project.

Right rtj. Hobgoblin. There are several here, currently unopened and awaiting thirsty bikers (quickest option). I will try and stay awake until your arrival, but be quick.

Rest begards.............................DM
I'm sorry, I should have explained.

Hitherto, I have made tea in the cup with a tea bag, adding the milk at the end. As the only family member to drink tea in any quantity, I had deemed a teapot unnecessary. Now though, I make the tea in the pot and put the milk in the mug/cup first. I find the resultant brew to be much smoother and creamier than the bag-in-cup method, even when only using a drop of milk! How can this be?

A question for tea drinkers. - gordonbennet
We are tea addicts, properly made of course using good quality tea in a pre warmed teapot.
Left to brew for about 5 minutes and a lovely cup of tea follows.

Always put milk and sugar/sweetener in a pre warmed cup first, my theory and i've heard this elsewhere is that putting the milk in first allows the milk to be warmed slowly initially as the tea is poured.
Putting milk into a near boiling cup of tea burns it by instant overheating and makes the milk taste funny.

Thats why the heathern way of using a tea bag in a cup (shudder just to think of it) gives a manky tasting cup of rosy compared to the lovely smooth nectar that results from doing the job proper like..;)
But is that skimmed or full fat milk too. And cow's or goat's milk? So many options.
Our milk choice for tea drinking is semi skimmed, full fat (preferably gold top) is best for over your cornflakes or for straight milk drinking, skimmed just tastes bland.
Full fat (preferably gold top) is best.

Do you remember when the Milkie on his float had so many choices including that sterilised stuff in the narrow necked bottle. I think it even had a beer type top just like my Hobgoblin!!

Oh! happy days..........................MD

P.S. And a 1/3 pint bottle of chocolate milkshake called Mickie/y
You've been and gorn and done it now, i'll have to find a bottle of gold top just to drink for pleasure.

Liked the pint bottles of orange as well.

Whilst thinking of good things lost, i still miss proper wagon wheels and most of all Royal Scot biscuits.
Makes perfect sense, GB. I suppose the effect of pouring the tea on top of the milk to heat it up more slowly is compounded by the fact that the tea has already been in a pot cooling down for a few minutes.

A further question: Is it worth moving upmarket in the tea department? Is there anything out there that is markedly better than the traditional tetley et al, or is it all poncy nonsense? Also, what is the milk of choice among tea-drinking backroomers? It's full fat for me!

HB
A tea bag in a cup (shudder just to think of it) gives a manky tasting cup of rosy compared to the lovely smooth nectar that results from doing the job proper like..;)

Well GB we have rarely made tea in the pot since I was very very small. We too love our tea, but always make it in the mug. Boil water and let it stand for a mo to temper slightly then pour straight on bag, check colour then add milk. Usually very acceptable but occasionally our water 'plays up'. Quite rural and some prob's when it's raining or been raining. Don't mention the water company. Been there, done that.

I have for years mentioned to the Ayatollah that we should go back to the 'Pot', but we do nothing about it. Heaven knows I must take charge as I am the only rugger that makes tea around here..................OK coming dear...............

One more Hobgoblin I think then tea...................VBR.....................Martin D
Hah, Martin knows his place...me too..;)

Being a bit on the clumsy side i'm always bashing or dropping the teapot lid, so we nip into our fav charity shop now and again, Age Concern (good folk them there), and buy a couple of spare teapots, just couldn't face mug brewing.

Hector, we've tried all sorts but keep returning to good old Tetley as quality is always consistent.
Used to favour Yorkshire tea, but IMO it's gone downhill and isn't as good or as strong as once it was, tried some 'Punjami' a few weeks ago from Morrisons, that was good too.
Lidl's Red Label's pretty sound as well.

Good point about the slight cooling of the tea in the pot (though we always use a tea cosy) aiding the gentler warming of the milk.

Going back to the problems MD has with his water??!!....has anyone tried bottled water for tea making, we haven't but it might be worth a try where water is variable.

One more point, i find hard water best for tea.
Hah Martin knows his place...me too..;)

One more point i find hard water best for tea.

Right then. Kettle has just boiled and Hobgoblin put to bed. rtj hasn't showed for Hobgob', probably got nicked for speeding. It will still be mug tonight, but will source a pot soonest and will report findings.

Q. Will this thread run for longer than a well cared for Honda 50 step-thru??

PG Tips by the way..........semi skimmed.

Very best regards to all.................MD. Yes yes.............Coming dear.
A question for tea drinkers. - 1400ted
Of course, the water has a lot to do with it. We have here, thanks to our Victorian City Council, the best water in England. Piped directly from the Cumbrian fells. No furring in our kettles.
We are all tea addicts too. Sometimes a pot with matching milk jug and sugar bowl. Always drunk from china cups or mugs...never pot ! Semi-skimmed here, I agree about gold or silver top for Kelloggs best. Milk is one of the finest drinks you can have, straight from the fridge. The milkmen round here still deliver ' stera ' in the crown top bottle....don't know who would drink the stuff, foul in tea !
Hobgoblin an excellent choice...local grocer gave me 12 bottles of Circlemaster last week 'cos they were out of date.....just fermented to much to sell, must have been about 8%....all gone now !

Ted
We are all tea addicts too. Sometimes a pot with matching milk jug and sugar
bowl. Always drunk from china cups or mugs...never pot ! Semi-skimmed here I agree about

Ted

Do you know it's taken TEA to bring us all together and not a tetchy Mod in sight, or is it site? Ok OK boys.......only jesting. I am going to motor over to the kettle now for one more then orf to the land of nod.

Best to all...........MD
A question for tea drinkers. - 1400ted
Nice one Martin. I'm just about to assault the kettle myself.....and a nice slice of Genoa fruit cake..buttered....I'll give it another hour before going to bobos...if I can find my Bunnybear in the duvet. Clint Eastwood fillum , Blood Work, just starting...might give it a whirl !

Ted
Just polished off a lovely cuppa and a slice of cheescake presented by She, been up since 3.10am and i'm flagging...will wake my Mistress with a lovely cup of the best and then Sainsbug's best porridge ... breaky in bed of course.

She is a big fan of china drinking vessels too.

Bed..zzzzz....
A question for tea drinkers. - spikeyhead {p}
Twinings English Breakfast is the best tea I've tried lately.
A question for tea drinkers. - bathtub tom
Boiling water poured over a bag of darjeeling in a mug, left to brew for at least five minutes, or loose leaf in a pot for more than one.

I hate to admit it, but I find semi-skimmed milk preferable now. ;>(
A question for tea drinkers. - Stuartli
I much prefer a pint of Guinness or a glass of excellent red wine...:-)

Otherwise it's a mug of Nescafe Instant (the firm's Brazilian version sold in many discount shops around here for two-thirds or less of the price of the UK offering and of equal quality).

Edited by Stuartli on 20/06/2009 at 01:18

I much prefer a pint of Guinness or a glass of excellent red wine. Otherwise it's a mug of Nescafe Instant.

Morning Stuart, but I am sorry to inform you that this is a Tea and Hobgoblin thread!!! Consider yourself unofficially moderated. Hey! I quite like this job.

Cheers............Martin (PG in hand)
A question for tea drinkers. - Armitage Shanks {p}
I use PG tips leaf tea and filtered water and brew in a warmed pot. I use filtered water as I did the experiment - make tea with tap water and pour it into a glass and repeat with filtered water. The tap/tea looks cloudy and the filter water one is clear and golden like a good whisky. I haven't tried bottled water, I think it might give the filetered effect but at about 50 times the price. The milk thoery is correct in that pouring it into a large quantity of tea heats it too quickly and affectes the taste, it is said.
A question for tea drinkers. - Stuartli
Consider yourself unofficially moderated>>

My drinking, whether Guinness or Nescafe, is always in moderation...:-)

The other half drinks tea, I prefer coffee. It isn't always like that, as I'll readily drink tea when visiting friends or family.
A question for tea drinkers. - malteser
A vote for Glengettie - sadly only in Wales.
Please recommend a pivot door shower enclosure - John Doubledime
I am baffled (easily done I am afraid) by the range of specifications prices and manufacturers available for pivot door shower enclosures.

Is there a particular manufacturer or model that I should be looking for. I suppose I am looking for the equivalent to the Ford Mondeo.

Back Roomers please help this plumbing newbie
Please recommend a pivot door shower enclosure - ifithelps
Shower doors seem to get dirty whether they are used or not, and are one of the hardest things to clean.

The three-part sliding door in the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire drives me nuts, the vertical seals collect dirt, as do both horizontal runners, and keeping the perspex screens clean of water marks is a job in itself.

I would seriously consider a curtain.

Might look cheap, but at least it is.

You could take it down and wash it or just buy another every couple of years.
Please recommend a pivot door shower enclosure - Xtype
If your looking to keep it clean use 'Rainex' or similar type product. The water just beads straight off. If that?s too pricey then just use car polish on the glass.
Every few months I use a metal blade scraper to bring the glass back to new. This doesn?t scratch the glass.
Best advice if you are going to get one is to remember to dry it down every time you use it. Saves a lot of hassle especially if you live in a hard water area.
Please recommend a pivot door shower enclosure - Mapmaker
Make. IME (limited) the key thing is the thickness of the glass (IIRC, but I may be wrong, 3mm = cheap and nasty; 4mm = quality). I bought a really good one from eBay for a couple of hundred pounds; similar examples in CP Hart (premium London showroom) are pushing a thousand.

For cleaning, spray it every time you use it with a no-need-to-rinse,-just-spray-each-time-you-use shower cleaner.
Motgage company & renting flat out - Xtype
I am shortly moving house into my girlfriends property. I wish to rent my flat out. I intend to ask the mortage companies advice on this, but should they be pretty flexible with this arrangment? I intend to rent it for around 2- 3 years.

thanks
Motgage company & renting flat out - rtj70
You possibly need to have a buy to let mortgage. Interest rate may be higher too. Depends on your lender and current mortgage.
Motgage company & renting flat out - Mapmaker
Some lenders will let you keep your current mortgage, for a while anyway. Some will insist you transfer to a (more expensive) BTL mortgage. Ring 'em and find out; only way. (And don't be tempted to "forget" it, as a criminal conviction may await.)

And: what do you know about

1. HMO legislation
2. Gas safety
3. TDS
4. s21, s8 and eviction
5. Tax
6. Landlord's insurance

etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Mapmaker on 22/06/2009 at 12:46