I Have A Question - Volume 275 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 276 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 275. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/02/2009 at 23:57

Foreign Telephone Number Required - 007
I have tried numerous directory sites and the Hotel's own website to find the telephone number for the Riva Hotel, Borovets, Bulgaria....but without success.

Is there anyone out there who is better at this sort of thing than me?

TIA
Foreign Telephone Number Required - Mapmaker
You could try the forum at snowheads.com
Foreign Telephone Number Required - rtj70
If you've found their website is there not an option to email them?
Is it the Riva Hotel though. I have found one large one called Rila.
Foreign Telephone Number Required - SpamCan61 {P}
I wondered that as well, but there is a Riva ( Lada tribute?) mentioned over on the forum mm pointed out.
I asked because they use the Cyrillic alphabet so the translation from Bulgarian perhaps is Rila or Riva?
Foreign Telephone Number Required - FotheringtonThomas
359-52-389-470
FT that looks like the number for a hotel called Riva Park and also seems near the sea. So not the one in the ski resort that 007 is asking about.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/02/2009 at 16:18

Phone 359-712-82658 and ask! 3p/min on 18866.com
I still think the hotel is called Rila Hotel so he'd better ask the right question ;-)

Edit: Well done FT if it is the Rila Hotel.... that number matches the hotel name.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/02/2009 at 16:44

#2 is different, it might be the right one. If not, they'll know. Not water ski-ing this time.
A quick google of that number and well done FT for finding the Rila Hotel number. Let us hope this is where he's staying for a ski trip and not the Riva next to the sea :-)

... but someone last week ended up booked on a flight to the wrong country so you never know.
Many thanks for those replies...especially to FT.

FT.....with respect....18866 is very 'old hat'. Their sister company 18185 offers better rates (eg: United States...18866=2p per min...18185=half p per min) and it only takes a few minutes to close the 18866 account and to open the 18185 account which is what I did a couple of years ago.

Did you get this message? rsvp.
So are you staying at the Rila Hotel then. Don't keep us in suspense :-)

Wouldn't want to think you travel to your resort to find the hotel hundreds of miles away.
I am very touched by your concern for my welfare :o) ....but it is what one has come to expect of the high standard set in the Backroom!!

TBH I am making enquiries on behalf of my son and his family who are heading for the ski slopes shortly. Work committments prevent him, timewise, from doing as much research into things as he would like.
007 if you are still at the research stage for you son and family then take a look at TripAdvisor.com for reviews.

If already booked then I am sure FT has found the number for the Rila Hotel your son's family is due to stay at.

Pass on a bit of advice too... Bulgarians nod for no and shake their heads for yes! Took me a while to adjust when I knew two Bulgarians from Sofia :-) And they were students with us so everyone else did the normal/opposite.
Thank you for your mention of 18185. Their connection charge seems to be 1 penny lower, and while they do seem cheaper calls to many countries, sometimes 18866 have a lower tariff. On balance, 18185 possibly have it, esp. re. their connection charge. I may change.

I am not a big user, however - most calls are within the UK - and I might use BT's "free" bits, apart from a desire not to - BT are too complicated. I like the simplicity of knowing that any normal UK call will cost 5p (or whatever), and that's that. No Option this, Option that, "we'll 'ave yer if we can" sort of stuff.

Unfortunately, I still have to pay line rental to BT. Would that it were otherwise.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 19/02/2009 at 22:31

Foreign Telephone Number Required - BazzaBear {P}
Unfortunately I still have to pay line rental to BT. Would that it were otherwise.

You probably already know this, but just in case...
It is now otherwise (I think this is a relatively recent development). There are several phone suppliers who can now provide the line rental too. For instance, I am with Tiscali, and I do not pay a penny to BT. My line rental, call charges and internet are all paid directly to Tiscali.
Foreign Telephone Number Required - Altea Ego
Tiscali and I do not pay a penny to BT. My line rental call charges
and internet are all paid directly to Tiscali.

As do I - but!

your exchange needs to be local loop unbundled. not all are yet. some will never be.
Interesting. I wondered what had caused the change - I started noticing some providers offering line rental maybe a year or two ago, but never knew why they were suddenly able to do so.
I had half assumed it was something to do with anti-monopoly legislation.

Edited by BazzaBear {P} on 20/02/2009 at 12:09

Foreign Telephone Number Required - Stuartli
>>Tiscali and I do not pay a penny to BT. My line rental call charges and internet are all paid directly to Tiscali.>>

Just as with TalkTalk (my ISP), Tiscali pays BT the line rental on your behalf; it probably takes a small cut as well.

You must have a BT phone line to be able to use TalkTalk and Tiscali. Even though both will (or will shortly) have their own LLU equipment in your exchange, the line from the exchange to your property is still that provided and maintained by BT.

ISPs with their own LLU equipment are able to offer the quite remarkable deals for broadband and phone services and, in some cases, TV as well.

My TalkTalk AnyTime International3 package is £20.49 monthly, made up of £10.50 line rental and £9.99 covering broadband "up to 8MB" and free AnyTime phone calls both in the UK and to 36 international countries. These include Australia, Europe, the States and Canada.

I've had this package since April 2006 and reckon the financial savings must be quite considerable - I used to pay £14.99 a month for broadband alone...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 20/02/2009 at 13:52

Foreign Telephone Number Required - madux
I've had this package since April 2006 and reckon the financial savings must be quite
considerable - I used to pay £14.99 a month for broadband alone...:-)

Yes indeedy. I pay less than £20 per month for Tiscali AnyTimeTalk (or some-such) and I get line-rental, broadband and unlimited calls just about anywhere, anytime.
I am on the 'phone to the US for about an hour every day.
Now and again the bill is £21.62 or so if I have had to dial an 0845 or 0870 number but I try to avoid this by looking up the landline number on saynoto0870.com.........
Foreign Telephone Number Required - jbif
Just as with TalkTalk (my ISP), Tiscali pays BT the line rental on your behalf; it probably takes a small cut as well. >>

Surely not if you are on LLU. AFAIK, the bit from the exchange to your home is covered by Openreach, who although are a sub of BT, act within "chinese walls" at BT.
My TalkTalk AnyTime International3 package is £20.49 monthly, .. >>

No longer available to new customers. However, new and existing customers are offered an equally good/better pack now, including the option for a speed boost "up to 24Meg":
media.talktalk.co.uk/sites/TalkTalk/Global/PDF/Tal...f
... covering broadband "up to 8MB" .. >>

;-) 8MB! B=Byte, b=bit
Mine is only 8 Mbits/s [8Meg in common parlance]. ;-)

>>Surely not if you are on LLU>>

TalkTalk states, quite clearly, and always has done, that it pays the line rental to BT "on your behalf."

Whether BT or sidekick OpenReach is responsible for the line from the exchange to my property is immaterial - it's still not TalkTalk's property..:-)

TalkTalk has tried a couple of times to get me to switch to one of its new packages, but it would be a downgrade to me, despite its representatives claiming that it would be an upgrade.

Seems that the value for money of my package is eating away at TT..:-)

By the way, my "up to 8Mb" service averages 6.5Mb and this morning was peaking at 7.6Mb; I've had 8, 9 and 10Mb on occasions, but I put this down to TT's ADSL2+ testing at my exchange (I have an ADSL2+ capable router).
TalkTalk states, quite clearly, and always has done, that it pays the line rental to BT "on your behalf." >>

Sorry, Sturatli, your statement contradicted by TT just two days ago:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=189...3
18-02-2009, 5:26 PM TalkTalk Company Representative
"LLU is a service provided over the providers network and not BTs network. As this means the provider does not pay BT rental on your behalf for the service is is generally a cheaper alternative."

I'm not 100% sure that you are correct Stuart.
As it was explained to me, Tiscali were taking over the line. There was no details of them paying my line rental to BT for me. In fact until I made this change to my package, I was with Tiscali and did pay line rental to BT.

Another piece of evidence (although I realise not conclusive) is that the amount I now pay for line rental, calls and 8MB broadband altogether is less than the amount I was previously paying to BT for line rental alone.
>>..I was previously paying to BT for line rental alone.>>

You can continue to pay BT line rental if you wish even if you join TalkTalk:

www.talktalk.co.uk/products/landline/line-rental

To be honest, the day I left Tiscali in early 2006 was the best thing I ever did and I'd been with the original WorldOnline service from 1998.

Many tend to forget that it was TalkTalk that started the combined broadband, phone and line rental all-in package back in April 2006 - it took a long time for other ISPs to catch up.
FT....I agree with you 100% re BT....I find that the only way to make head or tail of their bills is to use them as little as possible but to pay the rental so as to keep the options open. I recently made a daytime local call and failed to dial the prefix...seventeen minutes cost me £1.26 compared with the 18185 5p!! :o(
Foreign Telephone Number Required - L'escargot
If this link works properly you should be able email a request to be given the hotel's telephone number. tinyurl.com/ctb7po The Riva Hotel is certainly listed for Borovets Bulgaria, but it's quite near the bottom of the list and it took me a bit of finding.

Edited by L'escargot on 19/02/2009 at 23:49

Asks the question if the hotel is so hard to find online, who was it booked through?

I suspect a package holiday (so hotel does not take direct bookings) and could go via Tour Operator.
The Riva Hotel is certainly listed for Borovets Bulgaria, but it's quite near the bottom of the list and it took me a bit of finding. >>

eh? I can't see any Hotel Riva at Borovets. Rila, yes; Riva, No.
Perhaps L'escargot can pinpoint it for me.

Edited by jbif on 20/02/2009 at 14:15

Riva No.
Perhaps L'escargot can pinpoint it for me.

With pleasure ~ 29th from the bottom of the list of hotels in Borovets, Bulgaria.

Edited by L'escargot on 20/02/2009 at 14:32

With pleasure ~ 29th from the bottom of the list of hotels in Borovets, Bulgaria. >>

Sorry, but not visible on my PC [at the website from your link]!

Borovets hotels 2 star **
Deniv ** St. Ivan Rilski hotel Borovets **

Borovets hotels 3 star ***
Alpin *** Bor ***
Edelweiss *** Ela ***
Iglika Palace *** Momina Salza ***
Olymp *** Royal Plaza hotel ***
Sokol *** Zodiac ***

Borovets hotels 4 star ****
Festa Chamkoria **** holiday apartments for rent Adis flats Borovets ****
holiday apartments for rent Flora flats Borovets **** Ice Angels ****
Lion **** Rila ****
Royal hotel Borovets **** Samokov ****
St. George hotel Borovets **** Villa Park ****
Yastrebets hotel ****

Borovets hotels 5 star *****
Borovets Hills Spa hotel ***** Iceberg *****

I will accept your word for it that it is there.

It's on the list. Not sure if it exists though ;-)
It's on the list. Not sure if it exists though ;-) >>

That means that my firewall is doing its job blocking zombie phishing entries.

>> With pleasure ~ 29th from the bottom of the list of hotels in Borovets
Bulgaria. >>
Sorry but not visible on my PC [at the website from your link]!

In the Hotel Reservation or Request form ...........

Your country: choose Bulgaria
Resort or town: choose Borovets
Hotel: Scroll down until you get to the end of the list. Riva is 29th from the bottom, or 2nd from the top of the last visible section of the list. They're not in alphabetical order.
Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - Stuartli
>>A small nicad charged in 15 minutes would get *very* hot>> (from IHAQ 274)

It's a few years ago now and used special rechargeable batteries. See:

www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1016650560.html

Amazon (US) but no prices:

www.amazon.com/Rayovac-PS-5-B-adapter-battery/dp/B...X

Review:

tinyurl.com/d6eaq7

Seems Energizer also had a similar product:

www.engadget.com/2004/11/10/energizers-15-minute-b.../

Edited by Stuartli on 19/02/2009 at 16:06

Life of AA battery in a quartz clock - SpamCan61 {P}
I use a 1 hour Uniross delta V / delta T charger for my NiMHs, they are flippin' hot ( just about touchable) if you take the out as soon as the charge has finished.
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - L'escargot
I have a mechanical stopwatch which only gets used occasionally. From the point of view of its overall durability is it best to (a) wind it up after every use so that it's always fully wound during its dormant periods, (b) wind it up before use only when it's become wound down from previous usages, or (c) leave it running after every use so that the spring is not left under tension during its dormant periods?

Edited by L'escargot on 20/02/2009 at 03:16

Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - mfarrow
I'd say (c), based on the advise given about torque wrenches.
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - Altea Ego
A watch springs works by trying to return to its natural state - which is unwound. I would therefore think its its best left in its natural state. unwound
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - Number_Cruncher
This isn't a simple question.

Returning the spring to its fully unwound state each time means the spring undergoes a full stress cycle each time the watch is used. The size and frequency of stress cycles are very important in determining how fatigue cracks start and propagate. This can be a huge effect - in a broad brush sense, doubling the stress range reduces the fatigue life by a factor of 8!

Keeping the spring wound means that existing cracks in the spring may propagate faster than if the spring were relaxed.

So, it's a race, between fatigue cracks which grow during each stress cycle, and fatigue cracks which grow during the stressed storage period. I don't know which fatigue mechanism wins out in this case.

I would expect for a watch which is used frequently it's best to keep it wound, and avoid exposing the spring to the full stress range on a regular basis, and for one used infrequently to allow it to run down. It's just the definition of frequent/infrequent that's elusive!

Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - L'escargot
It's just the definition
of .................../infrequent that's elusive!

Once in a blue moon, once a year, once every few months, ........................ !
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - Mapmaker
I have a feeling that both fully wound and fully unwound might also be detrimental to a spring. Inevitably foreign bodies will work their way into the spring. When fully wound and fully unwound they may cause additional stresses within the spring, and run the risk of causing additional damage.

Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - rtj70
Keep the stopwatch in drawer and buy a digital one. Problem solved.
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - Old Navy
Keep the stopwatch in drawer and buy a digital one. Problem solved.

Wound or unwound?
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - bathtub tom
Now you're trying to wind us up ;>)
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - Alby Back
My mother has some very old fob watches which belonged to her father and some date back to the late 19th century. They are not treated with anything like the respect they deserve and have lain around in various boxes and drawers for as long as I can remember. I played with them as a child and very occasionally as in every decade or so they get dug out and shown to younger visitors who abuse them as I did. Some of them still keep very good time when wound up.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 20/02/2009 at 17:54

Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - ifithelps
What does a snail want with a stopwatch anyway?

A calendar would suffice to time any races.
Best treatment of spring of mechanical stopwatch? - mjm
If he bought a digital one, would the battery last longer if it was taken out every time after use?

:)
Best treatment of NiCad batteries - madux
If he bought a digital one would the battery last longer if it was taken
out every time after use?

I have a query which is very similar:
I have 3 Bosch 14.4v power tools and 5 batteries.
Is it best to store the batteries charged or uncharged?
I asked Bosch but their reply was a bit vague - along the lines of "If you are not using it for a month or so it might be best to charge it."
Any electrical engineers out there?
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - audiA6tdi
I?m thinking of buying an engagement ring and have been looking in Ernest & Jones. Does anyone know the markup they have on the goods there or what discount is likely?
The usual retail markup is around 50% for a lot of goods but jewellery is a bit of a minefield.
I was looking at a ring around £3000.
I live near Birmingham and there is a 'Jewellery Quarter' which is known to be quite cheap, and im not sure if I would be better to go there.

Any advice appreciated
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - rtj70
Some comments:

- I hope your potential fiancee does not know who you are on here and what you call yourself
- In these financial times, is £3000 for an engagement ring so wise? It's up to you but a cheaper ring and a holiday might go down better?
- I hope the £3000 is cash, if not, then pay what you can afford. Getting engaged is a commitment and the ring is important but partly symbolic.

She might be more impressed if the £3000 was put down on a house or paid off a mortgage.

Sorry to intrude. Cannot comment on discounts but in these times I could not justify £3000 for an engagement ring.... but I don't need one.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/02/2009 at 15:44

- I hope your potential fiancee does not know who you are on here and
what you call yourself >>

no she has no interest in cars however much i go on about them!

Im hoping to get a really nice ring but at a heavy discount and I guess within the current climate its a good time.
All I was thinking was a really nice ring vs. a nice ring and a really nice holiday combined. I know my better half would like the ring+holiday :-)

Edited by rtj70 on 20/02/2009 at 22:15

Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Stuartli
Reminds me of the old joke that marriage is a three-ring circus; engagement ring, wedding ring and suffering...:-)
We are going to Bahamas at the end of March so i thought it would be an idea opportunity. Its been 4 years so I guess its time to pop the question!
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Altea Ego
be an idea opportunity. Its been 4 years so I guess its time to pop
the question!

Its never the right time

sigh
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - bathtub tom
I'd guess you'd stand a much better chance of getting more for your money at an independant jewellers. I tend to ignore 'discounts' and just look at the final price.

I doubt if a shop assistant in a national company has got the authority to negotiate with a customer, whereas an independant has.
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - adverse camber
People are suggesting £3K is a lot. But remember that £3K will fade into insignificance compared with the lifetime costs. ;) I'd echo the point about it being symbolic, despiter what the adverts try to push you into. But we dont know if £3k is a lot to you or pocket money. She is supposed to be pleased to be asked, not bought.

Personally I would say you should go to the quarter and stay well away from high street chains with dubious sales.

You might want to think about how significant a ring your future OH will be comfortable wearing on an everyday basis. Would she want to be wearing a huge diamond all the time?

I would also say that you are into bespoke territory if you want to be. Are you looking for a big gem or a ring that is a bit special?

Try the craft council web site or make a trip to the goldsmiths exhibition (goldsmiths hall in london - not sure when they're held, its a long time since I've been) or possibly there is something similar in brum. Ask around.

Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - smokie
...and do your research in what to look for in a diamond...
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - deepwith
I think you will find it a good time to buy. Jewellers are feeling the pinch - my sister is one so I have heard it first hand.
If you go to an independent your mark up should be less and they will give good long term service ie making up a wedding ring to work with the engagement ring and giving the ring the odd polish up for free (chains tend to charge for cleaning).

A girl I work with got engaged last summer (i.e. before the credit crunch) and her ring came from the Birmingham jewellery quarter. She said that it was much better value for money, taking into account not just weight of ring but also quality of diamond etc, than any of the high street stores were offering, and she felt she had better service. I wouldn't class her as an expert, but she clearly did her research into what was good and what was less good, in terms of diamond quality.

As an aside, many currently see gold as a safe place for money, unlike so many other places we won't bother mentioning again!! So even if you aren't buying it as an investment, you will at least have a asset which should not depreciate. And the pics of the Bahamas to look at...!!
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - ifithelps
I'm no expert, but £3k is a big budget and a bit above the market the likes of Ernst and Jones aim at.

A visit to the Jewellery Quarter in Brum looks in order, or have a wander around Hatton Garden in London.

If you go to London, don't take cash and keep your wits about you.

A google or two might reveal a jewellers' trade body that can put you onto a reliable independent who deals regularly in rings in your budget.

Sorry to end on a sour note, but I agree with rtj70 - £3k is way too much money to spend on a trinket, unless you're earning that much every week.

Edited by ifithelps on 21/02/2009 at 08:22

Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - daveyjp
If I was looking at spending £3000 I wouldn't be going to Ernest and Jones. We bought our wedding rings there because they were cheap.

Find a good independent jewellers - most large cities have them and go and take advice.

My wife's engagement ring was made for her on a trip to India. Walked into a recommended jewellers, after half an hour there were a counter full of diamonds in front of us. Chose a style and four days later the ring was ready. Cost us £250 and it has a replacement value of £800.

TBH I would even consider something second hand as you may get much better quality. You only have to look at the cost of second hand premum brand watches to see how much mark up there is on them.
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - L'escargot
Do you mean Ernest Jones? If you do, then they sell online which should be cheaper ~
www.ernestjones.co.uk
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Altea Ego
My wife would have refused to marry me if her ring came from a high st chain. In the mysterious world of women its as bad as buying petrol station flowers on valentines day.

Edited by Altea Ego on 21/02/2009 at 10:00

Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Clk Sec
In my experience it is very easy to get a 20% discount from an independent jewellers, particularly if you leave your credit card at home.

I'm sure that hard-nosed negotiators could do far better.

Clk Sec
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - PoloGirl
Propose on holiday with a plastic ring, and then design/choose the real thing together. Means more, and she doesn't have to fake liking the ring for the next forty years. You can also give the designer a budget and be more likely to get something you like for what you can afford.

www.the-quarter.com/index2.htm

Someone I was at uni with chose the stone and got it much cheaper than it would have been set into a ring in a highstreet jewellers, and then had it made into a ring of her design in the jewellery quarter. Sorry, I don't know where though.

I know these people are good, but they're a way away from you. Some good advice on their site about diamonds though:
www.petra-jewellery.co.uk/engagement_rings.html

If you can bear the pink fluffiness, have a look at the womens' forums handbag.com or confetti.com - loads of advice about choosing rings and particularly birmingham / hatton garden on there.

Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - nick
I'd buy an antique one, possibly from an auction if you know your onions or a reputable independant if you don't. Much better value for money as you're paying more for the value of the ring rather than for the modern labour that went into producing it.
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - mjm
Polo Girl has it spot on in my opinion (Well, the clue is in the name).
I suppose Polo's are a bit like rings.... :-)
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Pugugly
From a lifetime's experience women (generally) prefer to choose their own jewellery....take her with you and let her pick what she wants (and also a good fallback if she says no !)
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Alby Back
Many years ago I took a girlfriend to Amsterdam for a weekend. We had a great time but drank too much. Ended up in a wholesale diamond place where they made rings. Much cheaper than shops. I expect she still has it......
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - bathtub tom
>>Propose on holiday with a plastic ring,

SWMBO knows someone who did similar with a cheap ring - she was horrified! The consensus of opinion amongst her circle of friends was the ring he proposed with had a special sentimental value that couldn't be replaced with banknotes.

I don't understand women.
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Nsar
AudiA6, you have mail.
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Pugugly
Humph,

You're a flash git ! :-)
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - Alby Back
Maybe back then, a bit, but only when drunk. Scottish parsimony genes kick in when sober. Poor git now.......

;-)
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - hxj

Or even do what I did and not buy one at all .....

Saved alot of money and hassle .....

But then again SWMBO had to pay for her own wedding ring as my credit card bounced at the jewellers .....

Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - 1400ted
Mine had to pay for her marriage licence.............seven shillings and sixpence !
Still not paid her back, well, I can't be expected to work out the decimal equivalent, can I ?
Ted
Unpayable now Ted - 37.5p, and no half pee coin.

I'm sure she's had her moneysworth... ;-)
Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - 1400ted
I'm sure she's had her moneysworth... ;-)

Hmmmm!
It was only that I couldn't find a Half Pee coin....probably got one somewhere tho' I think it was a special licence...we married in a Cathedral...how posh is that ?
Swmbo worked for small local jewellers for years.......IMO a local family firm won't rip you off. At the last one, scrotes turned up on a Sunday morning in a van, dismantled all the shutters, set the alarm off, broke the window and pinched all the Raymond Weil watches. 200 yard from local nick.

Ted
Thanks for your comments, and the email nsar, very helpful. Im off to the pub with her dad today to ask the old hand in marriage question so il let you know how I get on!

I guess il be regretting all this in 20 years time lol

Ernest & jones - buying a ring discount? - deepwith
A variation on PG's suggestion, for when they get home.
My father sent mother to a jeweller to select three different rings that she would like. She enjoyed that immensely, together with the anticipation as to what he would actually buy.
He then bought the one he liked best - she wore it for some 55 years. It is a lovely large aquamarine set in platinum, made in 1930, Pa bought it in 1948. Value then? £50 Value now? £7,000 to sell, more for insurance value.
Funnily enough, he bought her a modern ring in 1997. When she died we were to sell the ring to share the money between the grandchildren. The sale value was so low that eventually my sister broke it up and had it made into two solitaire rings and an emerald pendant - which did not even reach half of what the ring originally cost.

The argument that the actual ring is the most important only works if she likes it!!

Hope today went well
deepwith, what a very good suggestion. It is important she likes the ring. When I proposed my (now) wife didn't want an engagement ring.... later did so we went out together and chose one.

She's a practical type... would not let me spend a huge amount. Would prefer the memory of holidays instead. As would I.
Power shower that can work in non-powered mode? - maz64
Anyone know of a power shower that will also work without using the pump? Our previous shower did, but the current one (which sounds like it's on the way out) doesn't, so I use a jug instead to avoid waking up other members of the household at the crack of dawn.

Don't want to spend too much money - Screwfix have the Triton Thermo IPS Power Shower for £186 which would be ok, but don't know whether it meets our requirements.
tinyurl.com/d356r6

Cheers
F
Power shower that can work in non-powered mode? - Altea Ego
It all depends on how much pressure you want in your shower, and what your current hot feed to the shower is like.

Edited by Altea Ego on 22/02/2009 at 12:45

Power shower that can work in non-powered mode? - Stuartli
Does it have to be the electrical type?

We've had an Aqualisa shower unit for about 15 years, which can be run off either a multi-point or combi boiler without any need for power requirements.

It's just as efficient as a power shower...:-)

See:

www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Aqualisa_Showers.html

for examples, although a Google search will bring up other suppliers and, perhaps, even better prices.

I've noticed that quite a few hotel chains are keen on this brand as there is no additional energy cost.

Edited by Stuartli on 22/02/2009 at 12:48

Power shower that can work in non-powered mode? - gordonbennet
Our 'Mira' shower must be 15 or 16 years now too, that also works with our combi very well (and back to full heat since the boiler had some work last week) and the flow rate is superb, better than any electric shower i've used.

Don't ask me how it works but its balanced flow apparently , and should someone turn on a hot or cold tap elsewhere, the shower compensates and the temp remains constant.
Will replace with the same at shower room refit time.
Sorry, to clarify: hot water just comes from the tank in the loft. Pressure isn't great but fine for me with my no. 4 hair cut, but SWMBO's hair is a bit longer, hence the need for the pump.

So we just want a power shower, with the proviso that water will still come out under gravity pressure without turning the pump on.
Power shower that can work in non-powered mode? - 1400ted
Pay for SWMBO to have a No. 4....£6 should cover it.....problem sorted.
Ted
Pay for SWMBO to have a No. 4....£6 should cover it.....problem sorted.

Actually I've got my own trimmers (Wahl, £10 from Asda) so it would be even cheaper! However, when I've tried suggesting that in the past, the response has been, er, lukewarm :-)
cheaper! However when I've tried suggesting that in the past the response has been er
lukewarm :-)

Like your shower?

I have indirect hot water and I have a pumped ( a twin 1 bar stuart turner pump ) shower through a thermostatic mixer (aqualisa). I have a pull swtich next to the shower so you can have it pumped or not.
I have indirect hot water and I have a pumped ( a twin 1 bar ...

Is that the sort of thing your average plumber could install? Any idea of the cost, roughly?
Yup - the pump is about 150 -200 quid to buy - any plumber can do this.
Yup - the pump is about 150 -200 quid to buy - any plumber can do this.

Ok, thanks.
UFO reporting - bathtub tom
I don't believe in little green men, but:

I've just seen a sizeable, silent, flickering orange light pass over from NW to SE. I couldn't judge it's height, but it was travelling much faster than the prevailing wind, which is negligible. It looked not unlike I'd imagine a chinese lantern to be apart from the speed of travel. It was much slower than any meteorite I've seen. Swmbo also witnessed it.

Any idea who I report such things to? I've had a google and they all seem a bit paranoid. I'm thinking if it was anything significant, witness reports may be useful.
UFO reporting - Alby Back
Easyjet ?
UFO reporting - smokie
Don't bother reporting to the police, they won't do anything about it!

(Did I get in first this time? Intended to be humourous not constructive... apologies if anyone is offended!!!) :-)

UFO reporting - rtj70
Could it have been a light on an airplane or helicopter?? As a child I once saw a light moving across the sky and became interested. Then realised it would have been on an aeroplane. Not that you had many fly over where I was brought up although sometimes you got some military jets but there was an RAF base within 30-40 miles.
UFO reporting - Nsar
It might have been a chinese lantern. You'd be surprised how wind direction only a couple of hundred feet above ground level can be different to wind direction/speed at ground level.
We set one off last year and it quickly climbed a couple of hundred of feet I'd guess but we live on a hill so a mile away it was probably 500 foot above ground level.

Still, best be on the safe side and put your tin foil hat on when you go to bed tonight.
UFO reporting - Altea Ego
NW to SE where?

How to report a UFO sighting
With effect from 1 January 2009, UFO matters will be dealt with at HQ Air Command, RAF High Wycombe. The telephone number of the UFO Hotline will change to 01494 496254 for anyone wishing to report a UFO sighting to the Ministry of Defence.

The postal address is:

RAF Business Secretariat 13
Room 2E03
Spitfire Block
HQ Air Command
RAF High Wycombe
HP14 4UE
ufodesk@mod.uk

This move is the result of an internal re-organisation within the Ministry of Defence and there will be no alteration to our existing policy relating to UFOs.

UFO reporting - Nsar
ufodesk@mod.uk

Hmmmmmm.I have a feeling that email address will be like when your application has gone TU and you click on the link that says "tell Microsoft about this problem?"
came from here

tinyurl.com/btezh3

Made tiny because of the length of the string. Still links to the MOD website, Rob.

Edited by rtj70 on 22/02/2009 at 20:51

UFO reporting - Nsar
Not suggesting it wasn't kosher, but something tells me it's not the most closely looked at email address at the MOD!
probably closely monitored enough for someone to check your email traffic and bug your phone.......
UFO? - Stuartli
Re the UFO "sighting" in IHAQ 275. We had a number of people on the North West coastline recently reporting one evening what they believed was a UFO out to sea.

Turned out to be a helicopter hovering over Blackpool airport waiting for its turn to land...