What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 271 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 272 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 271. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/01/2009 at 10:24

Sparks - continued - Altea Ego
>415 three phase"

>I have simply had to plug in some of those big "kettle leads". Knowing what is going >through them I was hesitant when it was under floor and out of sight! The thickness of >wire gives you a clue.

>... and none in my job description but trying to move a project on.

thats Ok - the big thick white and blue kettle leads (commando plugs and sockets to us in the trade) are designed to be plugged in an out by numpties (or project managers as they are sometimes called)
Sparks - continued - Mapmaker
>>You want to go for a part P competant persons scheme.

>>For a complete numpty its a 5 day course, for someone with prior experience its two
>>days. Then you have 12 months to pass the C&G 2382 17th edition - which is the
>>BS7671 wiring regs. This is bascially learning the contents of the regs.

>>This will qualify you to install at home(s)

That's not actually true, though is it? A "competent person" is not described by the regs. I consider myself to be a competent person - for things I would attempt, anyway, like rewiring, installing a new CU etc. etc.

However, once you are Part P compliant, you have to pay your annual fee to be able to self-certify. Going through the exams does you no good at all.

Far easier is to DIY the work, then get the building regs people in to approve it. There are all sorts of threads on the screwfix forum which will tell you what you need to know..

(Apologies to qualified sparks if I have got any of the terminology not quite right. As to OP's question, just swap it. Nobody will know or notice when you come to sell the house unless you tell them.)

Sparks - continued - Altea Ego
That's not actually true though is it? A "competent person" is not described by the
regs. I consider myself to be a competent person - for things I would attempt
anyway like rewiring installing a new CU etc. etc.

SQ

Ah yes but no but yes but no but.

my answer was in response to PUs question about doing stuff in other peoples homes as a retirment job, You cant self certify that work in others homes.

But yes - generally speaking I do all my own sparking at home - big or small. I do my own gas too where the "competant" loophole creeps in again.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/01/2009 at 12:49

Sparks - continued - Mapmaker
>>Ah yes but no but yes but no but.

I thought...

Electricity

Anybody can do any work for anybody, provided they are competent (whatever that means; whilst not defined in legislation, a qualification confirms your competence). However, certain works have to be certified with the buildings regs people under Part P. This can be achieved by either:

1. Spark is registered with Niceic or equivalent; did his exams, pays his annual fees. Spark can then self-certify.

2. Spark (or DIYer) is not member of self-certifying trade body in which case he needs to get the buildings regs people in to check what he has done. (Lord only knows how they are supposed to check, has anybody ever got them to do this?)

This is completely different from (but it is rumoured that this is what the Government thought the situation is for)

Gas

Anybody can DIY as much as he likes. End of.

Anybody doing paid work for somebody else must be a CORGI (woof).

CCNA worth doing? - Rattle
Although I am busy atm I am bit fed up in my job as I have mentioned on here several times before. Somebody on here also said I should focus on what I have already got but progress. I have seen a Cisco CCNA course at a college not too far from me. Its £500 plus exams do you think its worth doing this?

I've done some of the basics before at University but so the first modules will seem a bit modane and boring to me but the other modules cover a lot higher and more spefic scope, or at least everything I learnt but was too hung over at the time to take it in!

Is this worth doing or just a gimmick?
CCNA worth doing? - rtj70
Rattle you have mail...
CCNA worth doing? - L'escargot
Although I am busy atm I am bit fed up in my job ..........

Welcome to the world of having to work for a living!
Nokia battery terminal connections - from vol 170 - Caveman
Where a battery has a third connection this is usually connected to a resistor inside the battery which is used to estimate the remaining charge level of the battery.

See:-
www.nokia-tuning.net/index.php?s=pinout_batt1

Thanks Spamcan (and others)

I also found another website. Seems charging a mobile phone lithium ion battery isn't as simple as I thought -

forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=12901&sid=75a03...9

Electronics Magazine ? - Petel
Could anyone please advise, which is the most popular monthly magazine or weekly paper read by electronics hobbyists or boffins at this time, one where any advert would be seen by the largest number of interested persons?

I refer here to electronics, circuits, control modules etc, not in car entertainment, childrens game consols, hi-fi or domestic appliances.
Thank you
Electronics Magazine ? - SpamCan61 {P}
I don't know ( despite being an electronics engineer!), some magazine circulation data is available free from here:-

www.abc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=nav/abc&noc=y
Many thanks for your reply.
Rgds.
Electronics Magazine ? - Rattle
There used to be a load but this seems to be a dead hobby now. I remember Maplin even used to produce a useful magazine.
Electronics Magazine ? - SpamCan61 {P}
Too true, can't remember seeing many in the newsagents, there are half or dozen or so business ones with circulation figures on the abc site linked above; but I seldom read any of them TBH.
Thank you all for the replies. Looks like I have to do this the hard way.
Regards.
Electronics Magazine ? - rtj70
Is this still related to the electric door mirror of the Agila?
Hello again and thank you for your reply.
This has nothing to do with the plug for the mirror on the Suzuki Wagon R
Regards.
Sensible roaming phone strategy - Statistical outlier
I?m wondering if anyone on here could suggest an improvement on my current strategy to have a cost-effective mobile phone when travelling.

Currently I have a T-mobile phone, and my work lines come in on VoIP via Skype. Skype obviously continues to work wherever I am, but the mobile gets expensive, especially so in the US where I am now. My current strategy is this:

UK mobile is diverted to my office line. Cost: 20p/min.
Office line is diverted to an AT&T PAYG mobile: cost: 1.2p/min
I pay 10 US cents to receive calls on the US mobile.

So, if someone in the UK calls my mobile, it connects to my US cellphone seamlessly, and it costs me roughly 28p a minute to talk to them, as opposed to about £1.40.

This is clearly well worth it in the US, but in Europe it would be nice to figure out a way to make it cheaper, as the 20p they charge for the diverted call (I don?t think a divert comes out of your inclusive minutes judging from my bill) cancels any savings of a local phone.

Any ideas from anyone (other than the obvious get a local phone and give people the number)?
Sensible roaming phone strategy - Happy Blue!
Can you use Skype on a Smartphone connected to an internet wireless network?

Can't think of any other solution other than as you say and get a local PAYG mobile. That is what I do in Israel and every one who needs it, has my Israeli number. My UK phone stays off, with a voicemail saying to ring the office as I am overseas. But then I have staff to weed out unwanted callers who are not given the overseas number.
I can use Skype on my smartphone, but to be honest with you it isn't brilliant. It is fine to check my voicemail, but it doesn't work properly with the handset, only working on speakerphone (I have NO idea why thay have done that) and it's not really much of an option.

Skype on the hotel wifi on my laptop, on the other hand, is great.
Sensible roaming phone strategy - adverse camber
there are a few companies offering international sims that are significantly cheaper .

www.0044.co.uk
www.oneroam.com

not used them myself but I did look into it a while ago.
Sensible roaming phone strategy - rtj70
Divert incoming calls to voicemail (before you leave) and call them back. You then only pay for outgoing calls.
The divert to voicemail idea doesn't work.

IIRC, you pay for the international leg out to the phone you didn't answer, and the international call back to the mailbox when it doesn't reach you. Then you pay again to pick the message up, and again to call the person back!!! Certainly it was that bad two years ago, they may only make you pay for one leg of the call going to voicemail now.

The only loophole I know is that if you call your voicemail and get someone in the UK, pressing '#' calls them for you and the UK call is taken from your minutes. Of course you are still on an international call to the mailbox, but it's a slight improvement.
Sensible roaming phone strategy - rtj70
For the divert to voicemail, your phone never rings if you do what I said. Divert the calls to voicemail before you leave the UK. All calls then go direct to voicemail.

But I forgot to add you need to call your voicemail box number direct to avoid paying a huge sum. In some countries, the short version of the voicemail number does not work (e.g. 121 on Vodafone). But you have another proper UK mobile number for your voicemail box. Indeed you can call it from a landline or VOIP line. But you need security setup on your voicemail to make use of this number because you need to enter a PIN.
Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - JH
Sounds like a daft question but I'm told I'll need a couple of 5 inch vents installing if I have cavity wall insulation put in. In fact, reading my boiler manual, for the first time ever, I note " ... an inlet of at least 150 sq cms should be provided...".

Am I going to get a howling gale blowing through these vents, negating the worth of the cavity wall insulation, or should I not worry about it? Needless to say I've not died yet so the present ventilation appears to be adequate.

JH
Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - henry k
>>Needless to say I've not died yet so the present ventilation appears to be adequate.
>>
What colour are the flames in your boiler?
The answer may change your statement :-(
a nice healthy blue :-) The boiler, that is, not me!

JH
Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - henry k
a nice healthy blue :-) The boiler that is not me!

Thanks for the quick response. We can happily carry on breathing.
I only asked because we had a near miss many years ago due to inadequate ventilation.
Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - FotheringtonThomas
reading my boiler manual for the first time ever I note " ... an inlet of at least
150 sq cms should be provided...".
Am I going to get a howling gale blowing through these vents

That's 6" x 4", so yes, if it's all in one place, the wind (and noise from outside!) will whistle through.
negating the worth
of the cavity wall insulation or should I not worry about it

It depends on where the draught can go. Isn't your boiler of the balanced flue type?

Needless to say I've not died yet so the present ventilation appears to be adequate.

It could well be - but it might not be when a lot of holes are bunged up.

Apparently not.

I'm doubting the benefit of cavity wall insulation now. I hadn't considered the noise aspect :-(

JH
Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - Stuartli
We've had cavity wall insulation for at least two years plus - the multipoint boiler has just been replaced with a combi boiler, with the flue using the original exit point.

Nose levels are no more or less than before and is caused by the water being heated rather than from any other source.
Stuartli,
was any additional ventilation put in at the time the cavity wall insulation went in? The reference to noise is noise coming in through thumping great vents which I'm told I must have installed.
JH
The only extra ventilation provided was in the back room (main living area) in the form of a circular vent about 25cms across - this was done, we were told, because we had a high heat output gas fire.

I arranged for this outlet to be positioned so that it was hidden by the dining table but, as it seemed ridiculous to create a (cold) draught to supply "more air" for a fire that had been perfectly satisfactory for at least 10 years, I blocked four of the five vent box's sections into the living room..:-)

The end result appears to be exactly the same as that before the vent was installed, so it seems to have been a waste of time doing the work. Air supply into the room had been
more than adequate.

The property has plenty of air vents at ground level and I keep these clear on a regular basis.

Edited by Stuartli on 28/01/2009 at 16:00

Thanks Stuartli. I'm in a similar position in that one of the vents will be in a living room because there's a multi fuel stove there. The other is to feed the boiler in the kitchen. I'm very nervous that I'm going to have a cold gale blowing across my toes. At the moment I'm leaning towards not getting the insulation.
JH
>>At the moment I'm leaning towards not getting the insulation.>>

I wouldn't take that view...:-)

Since the new central heating went in (controlled by a wireless thermostat in the hallway) the heat is now spread more evenly around the property, but the other half has insisted that it is left on overnight; she's a dialysis patient and they tend to always feel cold.

So I drop the temperature setting by about three or four degrees Celsius than during the day, but the system only seems to come on just the once overnight as the cavity and enhanced loft insulation retain the heat so well.

This, remember, is in an 1880s semi-detached Victorian house with 11ft high ceilings...:-)

What boiler have you got now?
A Worcester Danesmoor oil fired pressure jet.
JH
Hasn't it got, or can't you have fitted, a room sealed balanced flue? Then, no need for poxy great holes in the wall.
F
it doesn't have one. No idea if one can be fitted but there's an Aga in the kitchen too and the surveyor nearly had kittens when he saw it, so there's a vent needed for that anyway. :-( Definitely tending towards the insulation being more trouble than it's worth.

JH
You could try asking a proper plumber about a sealed balanced flue (I'd be very surprised if the machine's reasonably recent & it couldn't use one), or grope around on the interweb for info. I've a solid fuel range in the kitchen, no vents (solid walls). It must be getting air from somewhere which isn't a vent, & I've never had any problem with it. There was a flippin' great hole for the gas boiler that was there (for a week or two, anyway!). That *was* draughty.
FT
rules & regs would still insist on a vent in the kitchen for the Aga so no benefit in spending more money on pandering to the boiler. I find it hard to believe that adding cavity wall insulation is going to make the house airtight and we're all going to die horribly.

Wife has said that chimney sweep has apparently been making dark mutterings about not conforming to the latest regs when he's swept the chimney so I guess that's another push :-(

Am I allowed to say "bah humbug" or is that strictly seasonal?

JH
What you do about "rules & regs" and people's advice on the subject is entirely up to you.
Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - bathtub tom
I had a replacement back-boiler several years ago, the CORGI installer insisted on fitting a much larger room vent to bring it up to current regs. I feel the flow of air to the boiler negates some of the benefits of the heating it provides. It now sits behind lined, velvet curtains.

I can't praise cavity wall insulation too highly. We noticed the improvement the first Winter it was installed. SWMBO also reckoned she noticed an improvement when I put foil behind the radiators, although my jury's still out on that one.
Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - billy25
if you've got (or fit) a "through wall" cooker hood in the kitchen, you could remove the outer "flap" and that would then double up as a cooker hood and air vent. Even when the hood is on (blowing out) it will be drawing in extra ventilation for the boiler from adjoining rooms, saves putting an extre great hole in the wall.

p.s
what happens to the fumes created by a "normal" bog - standard gas oven? these aren't vented or flued to the outside, so they must be filling the kitchen with carbon monoxide?

Edited by billy25 on 28/01/2009 at 18:05

Cavity wall insulation - is it draughty? - Old Navy
Every year when my gas boiler is serviced the Scottish Gas engineer gives me a "notice of non conformity" because my ventilation does not meet the current regulations, he also invariably says "dont worry about it, it did when it was fitted and it is perfectly safe" or words to that effect. I live in an eight year old well insulated bungalow and have no ventilation problems (or draughts). As long as your setup is declared safe no problem. I also have a carbon monoxide alarm which has a digital display and always registers zero.

Edited by Old Navy on 28/01/2009 at 19:16

what happens to the fumes created by a "normal" bog - standard gas oven? these
aren't vented or flued to the outside so they must be filling the kitchen with
carbon monoxide?

If your oven is producing any significant carbon monoxide, there's something the matter with it.
How about a dog ? - Alby Back
Here's the thing. When I was younger we always had animals around. Dogs, cats, budgies, goldfish, hamsters and so on.

My son is going to have his ninth birthday soon and would love a dog. We have resisted having pets due to everyone being at school or work most of the time. I have a non-routine existance where I come and go at all hours and am often away for either overnights or a few days at a time.

My wife and I also like the idea of having a dog or even two but we are worried about leaving them for extended periods during the day and the problem that if I am away my wife would be responsible for late night walks. That in itself doesn't really worry her but there is then the problem of leaving the house unattended without an adult and a child in bed.

I want my son to have a pet but worry about the practicalities.

How do others cope and am I being too careful ?

How about a dog ? - bathtub tom
Could SWMBO take dog and child for a walk earlier, or perhaps collect child from school by walking the dog there? My kids and dogs walked miles.

I also fitted a dog flap, having made sure the garden was dog proof.
NB. Springers can jump an inch higher than whatever fence you've just erected ;>(
How about a dog ? - deepwith
We had several years when we could not have a dog due to our erratic life, so we got a guinea pig for each child. Friendly, talkative and strip-mow a small lawn, while fertilizing it! Better still, very popular house guests when you go away, as other families are keen to 'borrow' them for the odd week.
Perhaps a cat would suit for now, until someone is around more often, they quite like their own company.
Dogs are wonderful - we have two now - but do need time and attention or they can become a problem. One compromise can be an elderly neighbour who would enjoy 'sharing' your dog, by walking it during the day. This works very well for a friend of ours, who does not want his own dog as he enjoys the freedom of being able to go away on a whim - but loves having a dog around on his terms! Bit like some grandparents, I suppose.
I second the comment about height of fences - our older collie sailed over a 4 ft fence when he was quite young, and finds 6 ft fence a bit of a bore as he has to actually touch it as he goes over!
Funnily enough, the son who most wanted a dog when aged 7-9, is the one who is most reluctant to walk/feed the dogs now.
How about a dog ? - Martin Devon
SNIPQUOTE!
I want my son to have a pet but worry about the practicalities.
How do others cope and am I being too careful ?

I have had dogs for virtually all of my life and I cannot imagine living without one. Dogs adapt, but must be treated with care and respect. They are, in the main, great friends and companions. Some of mine have been pets and some have worked. One of each at the mo'. They can be left for extended periods...6 hours, but MUST be 'emptied' ADEQUATELY before etc. Not rocket science AND when one returns the Dog, like an Adult or child needs some quality time with you. It is all do able, but also needs to be worked at.

Your Wife out alone in the dark walking Dog............................NO

Child alone in house whilst she does.......................................NO

Child alone in house (dependant on age and other factors).......NO

Go for it, but Dog ownership is NOT to be treated lightly and if you do the job properly is very likely to be quite expensive.

Labradors are best..............or so the Lab's tell me!!

Mail me if I can be of any help. Mods will give address.

Very best regards..............Martin D

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2009 at 00:59

How about a dog ? - Stuartli
Kids and Labradors are a marvellous combination - a Lab has the most wonderful temperament and will tolerate high activity youngsters without complaint.

However, a Lab, just as with so many breeds, is a working dog and needs the exercise levels to suit.

We've had several Labs over the years - the first was trained for the gun - and all would walk with us for miles and miles and still be prepared for more.

However, the best compromise may well be a mongrel - unlike pedigree dogs they are much "tougher" and less prone to illness or common problems in later life.

The local RSPCA or animal rescue centre is as good as start as any to find a new companion.

Some info on choosing a dog:

www.dog-breed-facts.com/Choosing-a-Dog.html

dogs.about.com/od/becomingadogowner/a/choosingdog....m

articles.directorym.co.uk/How_To_Choose_a_Dog_for_...l
Thanks for the replies so far. The wild card I haven't mentioned is that being self-employed and mainly based in my own car, I suppose I could take a pooch with me a lot of the time. Overnights and foreign trips would be more difficult I know but even long day trips in the UK could be OK maybe. I always had a dog as a kid and really enjoyed their company. It's been a long time but I think I'd be OK with training and so on.

Edit - forgot to mention SWMBO works full time so the big problem is that occasionally the dog could be alone from 8.00 until 6.00 which would not work I guess.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 28/01/2009 at 20:32

How about a dog ? - Martin Devon
Thanks for the replies so far. The wild card I haven't mentioned is that being
self-employed and mainly based in my own car I suppose I could take a pooch
with me a lot of the time.

SNIPQUOTE again!

All things are do-able. Kennel? Kennel in garage? Place to soil? Stretch? Day light?

But that Dog deserves the best co's they ARE part of the family and will repay you tenfold, but if you haven't got the time then you haven't. I got in tonight and needed to talk to somebody (SWMBO) badly. For some reason she had her backside in her hand and went off on one. I retaliated big time. The older of the two labs was nowhere to be seen and the 'Pup' Ten months and v.v.v. clever sat in the corner just switching glances twixt the two of us. They know for sure what is what. They are not dumb. I have never had a dog that didn't come to me when I was visibly unhappy. If you think you'll have to cut corners then maybe don't do it. It may be hard on the Son, but fairer in the long run.

Best regards...........MD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2009 at 01:00

How about a dog ? - Pugugly
We have two dogs - one an ageing Springer, the other a young Cocker which we had this time last year to replace another Cocker we had to put down. The plan was for this one to live out with the Springer who is an anti-social cuss and ploughs his own furrow - however didn't go quite as planned. The Cocker lives in the house now (after what is best described as "ugliness") - Routine as follows. Gets up at 6.45 - 20 minute walk (he won't pee or pooh on his own doorstep ! - quite common apparently) breakfasts and then is caged for the day - Mrs P then walks him when she comes home at 3pm and he has his second meal. He then hangs out (mainly with me) until bedtime 11.00pm and then the whole thing starts again ! He has never messed in his cage or in the house - enjoys monster walks every weekend. He can go 8 to 10 hours without asking to go out. He is on high quality low residue food and has no scraps other than the odd piece of chicken occasionally - oh an gravy on a Monday (its either that or call NIREX in). He isn't high maintenance and is full of life and vigour and loves chasing ducks. He was car-sick when we first had him, he comes in the car but only tolerates it but is no longer ill.

The old cocker was far easier to live with in many ways, she would happily stay in the car with me in the daytime - no need for a dog guard - wouldn't risk that with this one ! This one, however, isn't a thief and won't attempt to open a close door. They are characters and as individual as people (and far nicer in most cases). Spaniels are super intelligent and are live wires and thrive on hunting games - totally taskable, this one would fetch the newspaper to the letter box on hearing it arrive - just for the hell of it.
When you mention a cage PU, is it outdoors or in and how big is it ? Does the dog have room to move / run about or is it fairly confined ?

I might be, no, make that am, speaking from ignorance, but a cage sounds fairly unpleasant ?

Must be OK though I guess ?
How about a dog ? - Altea Ego
No a cage is not cruel. you train pups from a cage. The cage needs to be big enough for the dog to stand and turn round in. It becomes in effect the dogs lair, its own space.
No its big enough for him to turn have his bed in there and a separate area which he can lie in, it almost fits perfectly into the Roomie (with the seats down and not out !) he likes his cage and will go in there of his own accord at the relevant times and occasionally in the daytime at weekends if he feels like it. The cage door is open at night but he's shut into a downstairs room - never any complaint. Vet was of the opinion that it was OK for him for extended periods - certainly no physical or mental (apart from Spanialism) issues seem to have become apparent in the last twelve months. He won't sleep out (tried it howled for three nights), whereas the other won't sleep indoors. The old Cocker "insisted" on sleeping with us in the bedroom (although would tolerate the landing at a push) but she was a rescue dog and had been abused. He has never fouled his cage. Doesn't chew (only his bones - won't destroy his toys) so he's happy I'm happy. He's hanging with me at the 'mo - perfect man dog symbiosis.
Humph, I urge you to get a rescue or a rehome dog. there are plenty just cying for a home.
Very good advice. Thanks all.

I suppose we have a biggish and largely unused enclosed back garden which could easily accomodate a run and large kennel / shed / shelter. I also like the suggestion of a rescue dog or maybe even two of them if compatible ones could be found. Company for each other on the days they might be alone perhaps ? I have no breed preconceptions and a mongrel would be fine.

The odd thing about my way of life is that I do have a lot of free time punctuated by extreme periods of very long days and weeks. Some of the time for extended periods I would have more than adequate opportunity to care for an animal or two whereas at other times of the year I genuinely work 18 hours a day seven days a week.

To come back to breeds for a moment, I have never had a Lab but as a child there were a couple of Retrievers, a Border Terrier and a Jack Russell, but like I said, I wouldn't really mind what it / they were as long as we all got along.

A chap I knew who did what I do used to take his Border Terrier everywhere with him. It would sleep in his car if he was in a hotel or something. It didn't seem to mind.

I suppose as in any situation where you add another mouth to a household be it human or animal you just have to adapt and if you want to you will.
How about a dog ? - PoloGirl
www.dogstrust.org.uk

Not only will a lot of the information on there help you decide whether you really do have time for a dog, but I echo AE in strongly suggesting a rescue dog. There are too many dogs in shelters, in my opinion, to justify anyone spending money on one, unless it's for a specific job or you're going to show it at crufts.

The problem you're going to have is that they wont rehome a dog to you that is going to be left for ten hours at a time. Dogs need attention, and being alone for ten hours a day (putting the logistics of it needing to go out aside) is just too long, in my opinon. But you may feel that bending the truth slightly when you approach the rescue centre works in your favour - I think if I was a dog and it was a choice of being in a little pen at a centre or being in a home but being left for a long time, I know which I'd choose.

Occasionally, rescue places get in slightly older dogs who can be left, and are happy on their own just snoozing for hours at a time, and don't require long walks (retired greyhounds being a classic example). I certainly wouldn't leave a young dog for the amount of time you're suggesting.

Talk to someone like Dogs Trust, see what they say. We've certainly never been put under any pressure one way or the other when visiting them, and in fact I've been a few times just to visit the dogs (I've got a sponsor dog at one of the centres) - might be an idea, so you can see if your son actually likes dogs, and what sorts!

I agree with you - we've always had rescue dogs as a family and when I moved into my own place it was suddenly very quiet - no happy face waiting for you when you get in, and no reason to pull your coat on and get some fresh air. So after much soul searching and "but I don't like cats, I'm a dog person", I got a cat. From www.cats.org.uk

He's 13 (so again is an older cat who can be left, not a young animal who needs occupying all the time) and has a much better life here with me than he did after being abandoned to a shelter after 12 years in someone else's home. And while at heart I am still a dog person, he is pleased to see me when I get in, and does like affection (on his terms!). I had to recognise I couldn't have a dog at the moment, so got a cat instead.

I think really you only get the companionship you're after from a dog or a cat. I had guinea pigs, hamsters and fish as a child, but only really formed bonds with the dogs.

I'll stop rambling now!
Resuce dogs seem strangely grateful for a good home, our family usually go down this route when re-dogging (the current cocker being the exception) the only one who hasn't is our rescue Springer, who is uniformly ungrateful about everything.
> think really you only get the companionship you're after from a dog or a cat. I had guinea pigs, hamsters and fish, but only really formed bonds with the dogs.

thats really not a nice way to talk about Passat man now is it ;)

Miaow !

;-)
How about a dog ? - nick
Get a retired racing greyhound. Loving and lazy.
How about a dog ? - PhilW
"Get a retired racing greyhound. Loving and lazy."

There's a lovely one - very friendly, docile and apparently just needs a bit of a walk each day - on our road - I'm sure I recognise it as one (of many!) I lost money on at Walthamstow dog track before it closed.

See
www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=40

Incidentally - and widely off topic - "the dogs" was a real good (and cheap!) nights entertainment . Daughter lived near track and we went as a family betting a quid each on each race. Using such sophisticated techniques as "that dog's got a nice waggy tail, I'll back it" we usually broke even and sometimes made a profit!
Oh dear, the Cocker caught a duck this afternoon - one of those ruddy faced absurdities - you could almost hear the Mallards cheering - I swear they set it up deliberately.

Edited by Pugugly on 29/01/2009 at 18:38

How about a dog ? - PhilW
"the Cocker caught a duck this afternoon - one of those ruddy faced absurdities"
Good dog!! Give it a choccy treat! (Or a nice bit of duck!)
Got any of those pancake thingies ?

Once went to a Chinese restaurant with some Rugby buddies on one of those eat all you want for £15 or something like that deals. We ate them out of crispy ducks and they barred us from coming back unless we agreed not to take the £15 deal in future.......

Bit churlish in our addled view given the magnitude of the beer bill. Makes you thirsty,duck...
How about a dog ? - AshT
Humph, if you're sure you can spare the time and space do get a dog - they're great company and if you get one your son will think you're the best. The threat of having their things chewed by our pup even makes our kids keep their rooms tidy...

I was somewhat anti-dog until I met my present partner - she came with baggage in the shape of a collie, and our family has expanded since to include a lab/springer cross puppy - but I wouldn't be without one now.

As I leave early for work, she gives the dogs a quick walk in the morning, and they have another in the evening with me when I get home. They have huge walks on weekends and seem to thrive on this routine. They're sometimes left in the house for up to four hours, but don't seem to mind and usually don't make a mess, although the puppy does chew, and being part lab will empty any dustbin within range.

As regards travelling in the car, dogs vary - the pup loves going out in the car while the collie usually throws up every 20 miles, so travelling long distances on regular basis could be difficult if you get a dog that dislikes travelling.

Edited by AshT on 29/01/2009 at 19:40

My other half was very fearful of dogs anti consequently very anti-dog. She and our previous dog were close, and she was very, very upset when we had to put her down. She and the new dog have a somewhat different arrangement but they like each other - she and the Springer live in a state of alert but they have a mutual respect. Otherwise its a happy canine home.

As for a previous poster suggesting that a woman and dog shouldn't go out together is wrong. The Cocker is very protective and would not put up with any crap from anyone.
Must say the retired greyhound link was interesting. Thanks for that. I might feel a certain empathy with one who was once a sylph like athlete.... cough.....splutter....

Joking aside, thanks to all for the good advice and indeed the reality checks. I'd like to make it work and won't take any rash decisions I promise.
How about a dog ? - Stuartli
Retired racing greyhounds are, indeed, regarded as proving marvellous companions, mostly because they are very laid back, enjoy company and, surprisingly, don't require as much exercise as many other dogs.

However, it should never be forgotten that a dog is a pack animal and must be brought up to recognise that the owner (and indeed most other of the house occupants) are the pack leader(s).

Studying dog behaviour through a suitable book (plenty in the libraries) will pay dividends.

TV programmes such as The Dog Whisperer (Sky3) and those many years ago by Barbara Woodhouse on BBC1 emphasise the way to ensure your dog behaves properly and proves a valuable member of the family.
How about a dog ? - PoloGirl
Miaow indeed.

Funny though :)
Has freeview lost the plot? - Rattle
I have noticed that a lot of the channels now are +1, surely this is a complete waste of bandwidth and its wasting space on multiplexes which could be transmitting something a lot more useful? Why do we no longer have UK History in the evening, why ek em can't we have men and motoring back? It list of +1 is stupid, we have ITV2+1, C4+1, E4+1, Dave+1, More4+1 surely this is a complete waste of time?

Surely if this carries on some us would just migrate to freestat?
Has freeview lost the plot? - Stuartli
>>surely this is a complete waste of bandwidth>>

Due to the changeover to full digital transmissions (our area is due late this year) not true now.

Many people find the +1 channels a good way to catch up on programmes they have missed and there are new channels being added at present (Quest is about to go live shortly for instance); new channels also depend on TV companies being prepared to meet the cost of transmitting on Freeview.

You'll also find find that Freesat (like Sky) is pretty similar on +1 channels - a list of the channels can be found at:

www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main
Has freeview lost the plot? - JH
It never had the plot. The bandwidth could have been used to give digital the killer service it needs - HD. Instead of which I think we get 2 HD channels eventually but only after all of the channels have shuffled around and I'm not sure if we might all be expected to buy a different Freeview tuner?
JH
Has freeview lost the plot? - Rattle
Well PVRs are all the rage now anyway after lots of hassles and many spare parts in my ether expanding "broken electronics" box I have finally got a PVR that works. I must admit though the freeview box in my room is an 8 year old Philips box so the +1 channels are handy, I would just prefer a completly different channel instead.

My TV is a rather bizzare setup, I have a 22" monitor I use for my PC, I have a TV card (its digital but the tuner is crap), a Philips view box which then goes into my Rotel HIFI pre amp (long and complex story but its the easiest way I could connect it without buying lots of silly adaptors from Maplin). For this reason I am not that fussed about high dev but once I sort out my new car and have a bit of spare cash I shall sell my 22" monitor, replace it with a 26" TV with a DVI input, so I can still use it as a PC monitor.

I've also promised to replace the telly downstairs too as its a cheap 21" CRT unit.

I wish there was more car programmes late at night, I don't get time to watch telly during the day, its always 11pm plus so that is probably why I miss the quality of programming.
Has freeview lost the plot? - SpamCan61 {P}
I agree Rattle, +1 channels are a waste of very limited Freeview bandwidth; PVRs are under 100 quid now for pity's sake. With one multiplex being used for HD transmission in the near ( ish) future the bandwidth available for the existing SD channels will reduce further, so we end up with even crappier quality because of these +1 channels.

Rant over ;-)
Has freeview lost the plot? - Altea Ego
we have too many channels for too little content. Thats the problem.
Has freeview lost the plot? - piggy
we have too many channels for too little content. Thats the problem. >>

Or as a certain Will Shakespere put it-"more matter with less art".
Must say I agree with Rattle`s point about UKTv History though. They have a fascinating programme on daily about Hitler`s rise to power at the moment. A warning from history indeed.
Has freeview lost the plot? - L'escargot
I like it. It enables me to watch programme A on, say, ITV2+1 after I've watched programme B on another channel which was being transmitted at the same time as programme A was being transmitted on ITV2.
Has freeview lost the plot? - JH
But that's what recorders are for, without soaking up bandwidth which could be used for something useful. With EPGs it's so easy.

I think that broadcast tv may vanish to be replaced entirely by tv on demand, when and if broadband speeds ever become universally suitable.

JH
Has freeview lost the plot? - smokie
I've watched very little live since about 2002 when I got my TiVo PVR. Have to admit, I barely watch TV and can only remember watching a + channel once, when someone called me up to tell me something that was on that I should have watched/recorded but didn't. But often the stuff that's on them is on again the following week anyway... and IMO it's mostly missable!!
Wireless headphones, Sennheiser in particular - smokie
I have an old set of these (TR120s) which have a dry joint, resulting in very low volume on right ear when volume is turned down. So with the money I've saved on fags, this month's treat is a replacement set.

Of course I have my eye on the top of the range RS130s. To all intents and purposes the base unit looks the same as my current one. I've found I can buy "additional headphones") i.e. no base unit) quite a bit cheaper then the full piece. (I've also found these are quite a bit cheaper in the US**, where I am headed in March!!).

Does the team think that the new model will work with the old base? I am about to search for specs on the frequency - I'm assuming if this is the same, and the base unit charging wires can be adapted, then they will work - and I will get benefit from better headphones...?

*** btw just discovered that Circuit City went bust on 16 Jan. Should save me a few bob this year!! :-)

Edited by smokie on 29/01/2009 at 09:44

Wireless headphones, Sennheiser in particular - smokie
RS140s are same frequency so I'm guessing should be OK.
Freeview in the South of England - terryb
Anyone in IoW, Hants & Dorset (or elsewhere in the area) getting their TV signal from Rowridge, will have to retune their Freeview boxes in March (25th I think) as they're changing all their frequencies. At the same time they are discontinuing analogue C5 signals - no great loss as we couldn't get it anyway - too close to France!

Anyway, the best way I know of checking which transmitter you're getting your signal from is to tune to analogue ITV teletext and press the reveal button. A three-letter code appears representing your transmitter. "ROW" for Rowridge, "CRY" for Crystal Palace etc.

Freeview in the South of England - SpamCan61 {P}
Anyone in IoW Hants & Dorset (or elsewhere in the area) getting their TV signal
from Rowridge will have to retune their Freeview boxes in March (25th I think)

Yep, 25th it is, press release here:-

tinyurl.com/bb69bk

Wanted - bull nose tiles - BobbyG
Hi, as part of my house rebuild after the fire, the contracors and project managers are trying to source "bull nose tiles" for my external windowsills. Apparently they cannot source these anywhere in GB, they appear to just not be sold or made anywhere. They did trace a possible source down in Wales to a company that is in receivership so could not promise anything in the way of orders / delivery etc.

By chance, does anyone on here know of any supplier of these? If they can't get these they need to resort to a plan b which I think may involve having to get casts made etc.

Any takers?
Wanted - bull nose tiles - Altea Ego
These people make tiles to order

www.spicertiles.com/contactus.html

not cheap tho
Wanted - bull nose tiles - Stuartli
Must still be making them somewhere..:-)

www.bullnosetile.com/pages/OurHome.htm (just a shop name?)

www.ctdtiles.co.uk/showrooms.aspx (apparently stock such tiles from Johnsons and Pilkingtons)

www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/ctile/tile_1.htm

www.theconstructioncentre.co.uk/products/materials.../

www.bernardarnull.co.uk/products/ (mentions bullnose tiles)

www.valleyreclamation.co.uk/roof-slate-tiles.htm

www.proos.co.uk/products/pitched_roofing/tiles_sla...#

www.salvo.co.uk/berkshire/roof-slates-tiles/forsal...l

Wanted - bull nose tiles - BobbyG
Thanks for your suggestions, have contacted some and are awaiting replies.
A couple have said what I am looking for no longer exists but will keep hunting!
Now in process of joing a tile forum for answers!!
Wanted - bull nose tiles - Pugugly
Keep it tie related in there !

Any thoughts about architectural salvage places ?

A friend got a tile she was short of (!) for her bathroom by placing a Wanted ad on E-bay.

Edited by Pugugly on 30/01/2009 at 09:46

How the stock market works...? - smokie
I'm using a streaming tool to watch some particular share prices (moneyam.com, registration required). Fascinating it is too. When the market closes at 16:30 they simply seem to stop people wanting to trade by artificially adjusting the spread so that the Bid price is too high.

But then some new trades go on, after the market has closed. How come? Today for instance someone has bought 1508151 shares in Lloyds at 17:12. And there was a modest size trade (250,000) in Barclays apparently at a price around 5% below the Close price. How come?

Also - the programme shows the number of shares traded, and is updated in real time. Sometimes trades of 20 shares happen, in stocks worth pence. What's going on there then? With dealing costs, surely it's not worth it? (Yes, I realise that the stockbrokers don't all pay the same way that I would!!)

How the stock market works...? - jbif
When the market closes at 16:30 they simply seem to stop people wanting to trade by artificially adjusting the spread so that the Bid price is too high. >>

www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/afterhours.htm
relates to US after hours trading bu explains reasons for bigger spreads.

For London, the trading day is as follows:
07:15 Market Opens
07:50 Start of opening auction
08:00 Opening auction ends and uncrossing algorithm runs to determine opening price, and automatic electronic order matching commences. Mandatory Quote Period (MAP) commences - during this time Market Makers must provide firm 2 way prices
16:30 Automatic electronic order matching ceases and the Mandatory Quote Period ends. The closing auction starts.
16.35 Closing auction ends and uncrossing algorithm runs to determine closing price
17:15 Market Closes (Up until 17:15 market is open for trade reporting purposes)
Sometimes trades of 20 shares happen, in stocks worth pence. What's going on there then? >>

Don't know the answer, but could it be account balancing trades? Could it be price testing/setting manipulation mechanism at work?

How the stock market works...? - smokie
Ah - thanks. It's more "controlled" than I realised then - I thought it was a bunch of hooligans in bright jackets yelling prices at each other that set the prices, not fancy algorithms! That explains a few other bits too then.

I do find it odd that the perceived net worth of a company can vary wildly because some suit is shorting them - it really means that the share values, in some cases, bear little relationship to the performance, assets, prospects etc of the company - just to whether someone has managed to spin a plausible enough rumour to make a few bob on.

Kinda pleased to see some of these guys have got their fingers burnt a bit, although yesterday I read that one of them had made £90m from the RBS share price fall alone, I think he was one of those hauled up in front of the select committee.