What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 266 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 267 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 266. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/01/2009 at 10:30

LCD TV cont... - daveyjp
We bought a Sony 32 inch LCD a couple of weeks ago. Does the job very well for £330, but freeview and analogue pictures are much better than the one through cable - except freeview doesn't seem to be widescreen - the graphcis aren't right into the corners as they are on cable.

I spent a while looking at reviews etc and Sony seemed to be up there, plus we have a lot of Sony products in the house and they seem to go on and on. V+ is replacing a 15 year old Sony video which is trouble free. The price of the TV swung it for me.

Having V+ installed on Friday so I will have a word with the engineer about picture quality.
LCD TV cont... - maz64
except freeview doesn't seem to be widescreen

Some (usually older) programs are broadcast in 4:3 format, but most should be widescreen - do they look ok eg, are circles round? BBC News 24 (freeview channel 80) is always widescreen.
LCD TV cont... - Stuartli
If there is an Auto setting for the display's aspect ratio, leave it set on that - it will sort out the various channels' displays for you. This doesn't apply to BBC1 or 2 if showing old comedy series though, as the picture is stretched to fill a widescreen TV...:-(

There is also usually the means to "enlarge" the centre of a widescreen display if a 4:3 aspect TV is being used and you may have it set on this mode in the menu.

Edited by Stuartli on 29/12/2008 at 18:50

LCD TV cont... - BobbyG
Well thanks to everyone for their advice and guidance. I am not usually "superstitious" but this is what happened.
I decided to get the Panasonic Plasma as previously mentioned although there seems to be a straight 50/50 split between plasma and LCD fans.

Could only get it at Currys so reserved it.
Went in to pay and collect when the helpful assistant explained I would need a van as you cannot lie a Plasma now (I had folded my back seats for this purpose). Apparently this affects the gases.

So I drove 15 miles to work, got my works van which had been sitting since Xmas Eve. De iced it and drove back to Currys. Whilst waiting to be served, I noticed that the picture on the display model was not as good as any of the other TVs, there were no blacks, only greys, no deep colours etc. I asked the assistant about this and she tried adjusting but it made no difference. She got her boss who tried the same, admitted there must be something faulty with that model but showed me the 37 inch version which was indeed a great picture so I agreed to buy the one I had reserved which was the last in stock.

Paid for it and awaited them bringing it from the back. They appeared a few mins later with a heavily taped up box and asked me if it had been explained to me that this one had been sent out to a customer by mistake and they only realised it was the wrong TV when they opened the box.......

At this point I decided to take guidance from all the signs and got my money refunded!!

So back to square one.........
LCD TV cont... - rtj70
I forgot to say (thought late last night) that Plasma TVs have to be shippd upright. Laying one down is a big no-no. But getting them delivered (and LCDs too) makes sense as it is only your TV when it arrives in one piece. John Lewis stores deliver for free - if you have one nearby.

To my surprise, my LCD was so popular they had lots in the store itself and not the nearby distribution centre (Cheadle/Handforth) so I took in the car.
LCD TV cont... - Stuartli
>>...sent out to a customer by mistake>>

You had a lucky escape...:-)

If possible though, try and buy your TV from an outlet near enough to collect it yourself - delivery men or couriers never seem to be as gentle or careful as they should be when handling large screen TVs ordered from big high street outlets or on-line.

Even better is to use a reputable local independent outlet - apart from superior customer care and service, you'll quite likely find that prices are very similar and an overall buying package even better value. They'll also look after your set during delivery and installation.
LCD TV cont... - gordonbennet
So back to square one.........

BG, i'm all in favour of taking signs like that sequence as someone/thing trying to tell me something too.
LCD TV cont... - BobbyG
GB, there really isn't anything wrong with my old fashioned 28 inch widecreen bulky CRT....
LCD TV cont... - rtj70
Nor mine... but it didn't fit in the gap in the lounge so was upstairs. And still is (with Dolby surround as standard). Now the new LCD is downstairs.
Buying a B&W TV - Mapmaker
Where can one buy a new Black & White TV set? The licence fee is much cheaper than for colour.
Buying a B&W TV - Mookfish
Try here tinyurl.com/8umfg5 (amazon)
It's a novelty one but I believe there are more ordinary one availabe as well but they also have 5 inch screens.

If you seriously want one you might have to go for second hand, local second hand shops or ebay.
Buying a B&W TV - Altea Ego
Where can one buy a new Black & White TV set? The licence fee is
much cheaper than for colour.

get rid of all your tvs and watch everything on I player.
Buying a B&W TV - rtj70
Altea Ego... can I watch Setanta Sport on iPlayer or News 24 or ITV or.... pointless comment ;-)

I'd think the answer to mapmaker (if he's serious) is second hand if any are even available now... and he'll have to get rid of all other colour TV receivers in his house that are used.

And then when analogue TV signals are turned off so only digital ones can be used.... there goes the black and white TV licence as all receivers will be capable of accepting colour signals.
Buying a B&W TV - Altea Ego
rtj70

you know as well as i do that there is NOOOOOOOOOOOO way that mappy would pay for setanta sports - or sky - or any other *pay* (sorry i swore there mappy) service

serious? yes he is.
Buying a B&W TV - rtj70
What about Channel 4, ITV, Channel 5 though ;-)

When analogue is switched off though an old black and white TV will be no good. And plugging in a Freeview box (which receives colour) TV will raise interesting questions. And you'll need a Freeview box that does not use SCART output.
Buying a B&W TV - Stuartli
As has been made clear, when analogue signals cease, a black and white set will be rendered useless, unless you link it up to a set top box.

>>..plugging in a Freeview box (which receives colour) TV will raise interesting questions>>

Why? It would still be a black and white display on the screen, in similar fashion to the set displaying current analogue colour programmes in black and white.

What many people don't seem to grasp is that a Freeview set top box converts the digital signal to analogue, otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch it on an analogue television after the digital switchover.

It also accounts for the slight delay between viewing an analogue signal and one provided by a Freeview STB or integrated television.

Edited by Stuartli on 29/12/2008 at 23:48

Buying a B&W TV - rtj70
What I was getting at is the licence cost is based on the receivers in the house and not just the TV. At the moment you could have a B&W TV but a video recorder in which case you need a colour licence because there is a colour receiver in the VCR.

Remember that the UK TV signal for analogue adds the colour signal to the B&W one for colour TV. So a true B&W TV receives only the picture and not the colour info.

So if you have a video recorder, DVD recorder you need a colour licence. So I assume for a digital STB, Sky or Virgin Media Set-top-box you need a colour licence. It's not all down to what colours your TV receives.

Hence saying if you have Freeview you must need a colour licence.

And Stuartli you are wrong about where the delay is... the delay is converting the original signal at high quality to digital. Converting from digital to analogue is easy. It's analysing each frame and compressing it to MPEG2 that leads to some delay. Thought you'd know that.

And if your STB has an HDMI output then it never gets converted back to analogue either.
Buying a B&W TV - ifithelps
I wouldn't have thought the TV licensing authority can have any way of knowing if you are watching colour or black and white, short of knocking on your door.

So how about a colour set with the contrast/colour - or whatever it is - turned down to black and white?

No doubt there will be an answer in their rules somewhere.

As regards buying a black and white TV, I've seen 5/6inch mains/battery portables on sale in some car/caravan accessory shops.

Buying a B&W TV - maz64
the delay is converting the
original signal at high quality to digital.

Don't they use interleaving to help reduce bit errors? That would also introduce a delay which is independent of speed of conversion.
Buying a B&W TV - rtj70
It's not interleaving. But MPEG2 does deal with errors. A full frame is only tranferred every few frames. In between only the changes are sent based on blocks of the image. This is how MPEG2 achieves compression - it does not have to send a full frame all the time. But when a signal is poor you will see blocks messed up on screen. You will get this on Freeview with a weak signal or poor weather. Likewise Sky. And occcasionally Virgin Media cable.
Buying a B&W TV - PhilW
"can I watch Setanta Sport on iPlayer "
I don't know but you might try this - I watched some good rugby the other Saturday (Leics Tigers v Perpignan in France) when I couldn't go in person -there's some real rubbish, but I notice that Hull v Aston Villa is on later - click on "Sports" - lots of American stuff (baseball and Indy car at the moment) - but also British stuff.
www.justin.tv/directory/sports?kind=live&order=hot...n

Buying a B&W TV - rtj70
Of course you can't watch Setanta on iPlayer... I was being ironic/pedantic.

There's all sorts of sports available on the Internet... like live football from the Premiereship.
Buying a B&W TV - Mapmaker
OK, OK... I wasn't being serious, just feeling left out of a 100-long post on LCDTVS whatever that is. And even the B&W TV thread degenerates into a tech fest!
Sealing a Tiled Kitchen Floor - Nsar
Hello,

In a post Christmas blitz I got down on my hands and knees and cleaned the pale grout we have on our tiled kitchen floor. I used Plasplugs grout cleaner which I didn't think would be amazing but was really good and the floor looks brand new.

Question is what can I use now to try to prevent the grout from being gradually discoloured again from normal mopping. The tiles are very pale ceramic ones from Fired Earth and I called them and the guy was pretty hopeless. The best he could suggest was using an artist's brush to put sealant on the grout only.

Any experience of doing this most welcome.

Sealing a Tiled Kitchen Floor - Alby Back
Not sure if this is what you are supposed to do but it worked for me. I made up a weak solution of Copydex water based adhesive. You know the sort of stuff you can use to seal plaster?

Anyway, just paint it on. don't worry about it getting on the tiles it'll just wipe off with a damp cloth but it'll stick to the grout. Then, when dry, make up another weak solution of white emulsion and repeat the exercise. Again, any left on the tiles will just wipe off if you catch it before it dries.

If you are not sure where to get it you could always ask your sat nav for directions to the nearest retail park.......

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 30/12/2008 at 19:37

Sealing a Tiled Kitchen Floor - Nsar
>>you could always ask your sat nav<< Thanks Humph, but dignity precludes me...!
Sealing a Tiled Kitchen Floor - maltrap
Screwfix have a good website with a tiling section.
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - Xtype
I had a 1 litre Bodum Caffettiera for christmas. If your using fresh coffee beans and grinding it down how many tea spoons of coffee would you put in the Caffettiera? ive put 5 spoons in and tastes a bit weak. Cant quite get the Starbucks taste to my coffee!
Also do you have to leave the coffee in the Caffettiera for a certain time before pouring like you would with tea in a tea pot to stew?
I had a look on the Bodum website but there isnt much on there in regard to preparing the coffee.

Also does coffee (beans) go out of date? The beans im using were brought in August and have been opened but the pack resealed. I read somewhere that if the beans are not grinded then they can last a long time - how long 'long' is I dont know.

Thanks

Edited by Xtype on 01/01/2009 at 12:21

BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - nick
Perhaps you're not grinding the beans fine enough to get the flavour out? Or use a stronger bean and darker roast? Regarding time to brew, I read in one of the papers (so it must be true!) that four minutes is the optimum time, after that the coffee starts to get bitter.
I have the grinder set on 'Course' not 'Fine'. Il try changing it to 'fine' and see if it makes a diference.
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - maltrap
I'd get a fresh pack, once coffee is opened (even when re sealed) it loses it's flavour.
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - PoloGirl
Did the caffettiere not come with a little scoop? It's usually one scoop per cup (more than a teaspoon), but I know that's not helpful if you've not got one! Sometimes you get them with ready ground coffee.

I keep my coffee in a sealed tin, but I drink it so infrequently that I'm always having to buy new stuff.

This might assist: www.caffebianchi.com/coffee-catalogue/WGd_faq.php

Edited by PoloGirl on 01/01/2009 at 12:42

BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - nick
Keep coffee in the fridge, it lasts much longer.
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - Dulwich Estate
"tea spoons of coffee" Que?
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - Altea Ego
The flavour of coffee comes from its type of beans and the roast. The finer ground they are the more they impart flavour and colour to the water. I always have beans with a 5 level of roast, and grind finely. Coffee (beans or ground) starts going off as soon as the pack is opened, sealed or not - a month after opening is the best you will get out of it. Find out how many "cups" (i go by mugs) your bodum is, and use one coffee scoop per mug. Stir and leave for 5 mintutes, then press your plunger.
Do you use a Bodum as well? Looking at the site someone suggested above says that if you use a Bodum or similar its best to hace the coffee Course not Fine? Im confused. Ive just brought some fresh beans so il try it out now and see the results.
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - Altea Ego
you need to grind the beans fine enough that they dont slip through the mesh flter, but fine enough to impart flavour to the water.

The important part is the leave standing for 5 minutes. you shouldnt drink coffee very hot anyway - very hot water shuts down your taste buds.
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - Armitage Shanks {p}
When using a percolator or a caffetiere I work in 'mugs' as that is what I drink from. On the basis that 1 mug = 2 cups I use a slightly heaped dessert spoon of coffee, that I buy ground but vac-packed, per mug. I think you are right about the life of coffee beans and I think they make stronger coffee, weight for weight and when freshly ground, than stuff bought ground. There is also a difference between the strengths of differents types of coffee and the way they are roasted - it is a bit of a minefield! Experiment, make notes and then finalise on what works for you. Feedback appreciated! As other people have said, you may get a scoop with the machine - I think it needs to slightly heaped, not level but the instructions will give some pointers.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 01/01/2009 at 13:10

BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - Nsar
xtype, forgive me if this sounds daft but you are letting the coffee brew in the jug before pushing the plunger down aren't you?
yes for around a couple minutes but reading on the net i think it should be around 4 mins
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - deepwith
If you give the coffee a good stir then put the plunger/lid in place. Leave until the grounds rise to the top, then plunge.
Buy a small pack of coffee,ready ground, for a cafetiere then you can check the grind!
When buying the beans, check the roast, and you can mix the different beans to your own taste.
Just re-read your original post - 5 teaspoons of coffee in a litre is not enough. I'd give it two fingers of coffee and a couple of minutes of the grounds in the hot water to brew before plunging. Much longer and you start to get stewing and a little bitterness.

BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - bathtub tom
I remember hearing that coffe was a con! It's all smell and no taste. Drink it with your nose blocked and you can't distinguish it from tea.

I'll put another few courses on the battlements ;>)
You say that down the Algerian Coffee Store on Old Compton Street and they'll put you through the grinder. Half a pound of their arabic blend with the spices left in is scientifically proven to cure both chronic dandruff and a severe touch of the old farmer's.

BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - rtj70
All taste relies on smell... No smell = no taste.
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - maz64
All taste relies on smell

...apart from the basics - sweet, salty, sour, and bitter
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - Brian Tryzers
> Keep coffee in the fridge, it lasts much longer.

Well, yes but be careful. If you take it out and open the container before it's come up to room temperature, you'll get condensation on your coffee, which will ruin it.
I reckon on about 40g of coffee (five scoops of beans with the little black spoon that should have been in the box with the Bodum jug) for a one-litre jug.

Hobby Horse Alert
It sounds like the OP already has a grinder, and is buying coffee as beans, which is good. It's worth understanding a few basic principles about coffee that those who roast and sell it don't always get across as well as they might.

What is generally known as 'roasting' of coffee beans is more like a process of controlled burning, converting the starches and sugars in the raw 'green' bean into the complex, caramelized compounds that will then dissolve in hot water to make the brew we drink. Trouble is, this is also where the process of decay (chemical, not biological) begins.

There are two main factors at work in this decay: oxygen and heat. But if you grind the beans before you're ready to make coffee, you're introducing a third by vastly increasing the surface area exposed to oxygen, and with it the rate of decay. This is why any two bags of pre-ground coffee, however different they may be in origin and price, will smell and taste exactly the same once they've been open for a week.

So to make your coffee last, you need to protect it from oxidation; here's what I've found works for me. When I buy a 1kg bag of coffee beans, I divide it up into small portions in airtight containers. Polypropylene takeaway containers are perfect - each holds 200g of beans, which is enough for several days even in my house. I keep one portion out for immediate use; the rest go in the freezer, where the much lower temperature (and very little air in the brimful containers) slows the rate of oxidation right down.
When it's time to get them out, I give the container a good couple of hours at room temperature, then wipe off the condensation before I open the lid.

Finally, once you get used to all this (not that much trouble really) it really is worth spending some money on a good grinder, by which I mean one that grinds slowly between burr wheels (like miniature steel millstones) rather than with a whizzy rotary blade. You'll get less dust (so less sludge in your cup), more control over the fineness of the grind and, ultimately, more enjoyment from your coffee. And it'll cost far less than you'll spend on the beans to put in it.
Hobby Horse All-Clear
}:---)
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - pmh2
Wouldn't it be better to evacuate the containers, and also ensure that all moisture is removed, before storing the coffee beans :)

p
BODUM Caffettiera - How to use? - daveyjp
1 heaped desert spoon per person/mug required. Leave it for at least five minutes.
Crimbo pressies -help - wotspur

I bought SWMBO a PURE -Freeway, looked ideal so she can play her ipod through the radio system.
1. will a 52 reg car have a radio compatible to use this system
2. We've both tried but it looks all wires everywhere, should it really be that complicated
3. I feel like giving up, how much would you reckon a specialist charge to get fitted
or shall I just take it back and get something else

Well she got her own back, she bought me a Rubiks cube - (now30 yrs ago I couldn't do it and still can't) -I find it easy to get the top and the top row, occasionally 2 on the middle row -who can give me an insight in how to do it - I remember some kid at school who could look at it for 10 seconds and within another 20 complete it .....aagh
Crimbo pressies -help - PoloGirl
I've seen Pure Highways installed, and they seemed to be just stuck to the windscreen and powered by the cigarette lighter (tuned in like an ipod FM thing...). Is Freeway very different?

Apparently the secret to the rubiks cube is to get a green cross on one side first, but even with a step by step solution I still couldn't get past that. Take the stickers off!
Crimbo pressies -help - wotspur
sorry Pologirl it is a HIGHWAY.. fit it into the cigarette lighter and then machine on the windscreen, has more wires than expected, but thanks anyway.
Crimbo pressies -help - PoloGirl
Oh... well there will probably be three lots of wires then I think.

First lot are for connecting it to the cigarette lighter for power (like a sat nav), second lot will be the optional Aux (?) cable in case you wanted to wire it in to your stereo and third will be the aerial which you need to stick somwhere. But...it's intended to work like an ipod thing that uses the FM frequency on your car stereo, so it doesn't actually need wiring in with the second lot of wires as such.

There are some instructions with photos here: www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-60905
Crimbo pressies -help - maz64
I bought SWMBO a PURE -Freeway

Couldn't find the Freeway - is it like the Highway?
www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-60905...r

That receives DAB down its own aerial and rebroadcasts it as FM to be picked up by the car's aerial.

Apart from the DAB tuner, it's similar to the units you can attach to MP3 players that allow you to use them in-car without needing an input on the car radio. Bought one of those for my wife last year, and was fairly easy to set up. Don't know whether the Freeway selects the FM frequency for you. If not, that's probably the hardest part - finding a 'quiet' frequency so you don't get interference.
Pound versus other currencies - Nsar
Anyone know a site where I can see which currencies the pound is strong against (if any at the moment)

My searching seems to throw up very basic exchange rate lists rather showing relative strength and weakness.

Thanks
Pound versus other currencies - jbif
Anyone know a site where I can see which currencies the pound is strong against (if any at the moment)

1. Yes [www.advfn.com - declaration of interest: I know one of the founders - there may be other as good or better sites],
2. but what is your datum point?

Since around August 2008, the £ has tanked against 200 or so currencies that I can check it against.The one exception was the Australian $ which for a while in October was weakening against the £, but that too has now recovered all its lost ground.

Edited by jbif on 02/01/2009 at 11:28

Thanks jbif - I'm looking at +/- 6 month period. It's for a bit of semi-idle speculation into investing a bit of spare cash, not in forex itself I might as well go down the bookies for that, but in particular markets.

Pound versus other currencies - jbif
I'm looking at +/- 6 month period

Try this for free information.
tinyurl.com/8k3zhe

Deeper access if you register, again for free.

Pound versus other currencies - Armitage Shanks {p}
Nsar - if you are risk averse but could handle 9.1% gross, google for ZOPA. I will not post a clickable link as it might offend the Mods (again!)
Pound versus other currencies - Pugugly
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=346...7
Thanks AS and PU. Not sure I agree with your version of risk averse AS - ZOPA looks a bit Wild West for me
NSAR. With Zopa you can limit the sum you lend to any one individual. I have 50 loans of £20 to various borrowers. The default rate is very low as all borrowers are credit checked/rated at their own expense and any defaults are pursued by ZOPA. Way better return than stocks and shares or 2% on savings accounts! Default rate is 0.16% at the moment, and this is before debts are pursued.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 02/01/2009 at 13:42

I wish you well AS. I just wonder what kind of person would pay to be credit checked then pay a fee just to borrow £20?

Pound versus other currencies - adverse camber
I think the point is that the required loan is split across a number of individual lenders. So AS may be one of 20 people each putting £20 into a single loan.
Exactly so! People are borrowing £5000 to buy a car (motoring connection) in tranches of £20 to £100, depending on how much borrowers are offering. I have 50 borrowers of/for my £1000.
Thomson DTI6300 Top-Up TV problems - BobbyG
This isn't really a question as such but just in case anyone else has the above hard disk freeview box and encountered the same problem.

Problem being that you get rogue recordings on your hard disk that when you try and delete, then it freezes the system and you need to plug/unplug it.

I have discovered to remedy this you do the following:

1) Evaluate what file is currently corrupt in the library e.g. are you able to scroll through various files before the box freezes or does it freeze instantly.
2) Press the menu button.
3) Scroll down to set-up and press ok.
4) Scroll down to help and press ok.
5) In the help menu press 1.3.9.7.
6) Scroll down to option 7, Disable Library Video Window, and using the left and right arrow keys set this to YES.
7) Press the library button.
8) Highlight the corrupt file and press the blue button to delete and the then the green button to confirm.
9) After a few seconds the recording will delete and there should no longer be any corrupt files in the library.
10) After exiting the library the library video window should re-appear.

It worked for me so if it helps one other person then this post is worth it!

DVD recording, PAL/NTSC? - FotheringtonThomas
I've a Philips 28PWxxxx TV, and a cheapo DVD recorder, & a PVR. The DVD recorder will record in PAL or NTSC. Which should I use?

Edit: Using Maxell DVD+RW disks at the moment.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 02/01/2009 at 21:12

DVD recording, PAL/NTSC? - rtj70
PAL. Slightly better resolution but the way colours are handled is better.

They say NTSC is Never the Same Colour Twice...
DVD recording, PAL/NTSC? - hxj

And PAL stands for Picture Always Lousy
DVD recording, PAL/NTSC? - mfarrow
PAL is the standard TV signal for Europe/50 Hz electricity distribution. Use that if you ever want to play the DVD on a 'normal' TV without HDMI or an internal converter.
DVD recording, PAL/NTSC? - rtj70
You are correct in saying PAL is the standard here. But he said it was a cheapo recorder so will likely play anything. My cheap recorder plays DiVX too.
Denon AVR 1909 Receiver HDMI Output - BB
Hi all,

I have just bought one of these and am trying to run the video signal from Sky and non HD DVD through the AVR1909 and out through the HDMI output into my plasma.

I can get the AVR on screen menu page on the tv and I can get the sound from both sources but I can't get the upscaled picture on either

I have RTFM and checked the on screen menu but cant find a specific section on how to do this. I would have thought it was auto but apparently not.

Any ideas or pointers guys?

BB

Edited by BB on 04/01/2009 at 20:13

BT telephone line - billy25
Hi Folks!
Can anybody tell me at which point does a BT telephone line become your responsibility? I always thought that providing you don't rent your handset from them, then thier responsibility ended at the master socket in your property.

The reason i ask is: a friends phone line suddenly went dead the other night, so he reported the fault, Bt tested the line and said it was o.k so the problem must be in his handset. I lent him ours to try, but line still dead, so engineer was called out, who found fault was a burnt out printed circuit board in a small junction box just inside the front door where the line enters the house, this box is not connected to anything else except the wire to the master socket four feet away under the hall table.
What does this box thing do? why has he got one when nobody else i know has? and finally!! as its before the master socket, is it his responsibility, or BT's? They are wanting to charge him £100 +vat for the repair to it!

cheers
Billy
BT telephone line - Stuartli
Has your friend (or perhaps a previous occupant) ever used one of the phone calls cost cutting boxes that used to be popular some years ago?

The boxes in such cases were a means of by-passing BT's call charges by diverting calls through the third party operator.
BT telephone line - L'escargot
Was "the box" of the type where the phone was intended to be hard-wired to the box? If a modern master socket had been DIY wired to "the box" (which you're not allowed to do) then perhaps this is why a charge was made. Which one of these boxes was it? tinyurl.com/2fenjw
>>Has your friend (or perhaps a previous occupant) ever used one of the phone calls cost cutting boxes that used to be popular some years ago?<<

Don't know! he's been there 6yrs and always been BT.

>>Was "the box" of the type where the phone was intended to be hard-wired to the box? <<
again I dont know! - but as the master socket is only 4ft away, and exactly beneath the wall-mounted hall table (which was already there when he moved in) then a diy fitted master socket COULD be the reason. In which case i would have expected the engineer to have removed it rather than repair it, it would have been cheaper! Obviously more detective work to do then! if he doesn't want to pay!

cheers folks
billy

p,s box looks externally like test unit 14a - not had a look inside it though! - yet!
BT telephone line - rtj70
Sounds like someone wired in their own modern master socket to me then. BT probably have the right to charge as replacing the original socket for the modern version had a cost. Surprised they did not just do that.

My mum used to have a trimphone and had problems. Managed to get a new socket and phone for free and for years had had a modern socket which phones plug in to. I remember (I think) when we got the phone and nearly had to have a "party" (aka shared) line when the neighbour wanted a phone.

I also remember inventing the PVR aged 10... new video recorder installed and the engineer recorded the landing of the first Shuttle. And rewound the picture so astronauts went backwards up the steps. On live TV I wanted him to rewind that. He looked at me with a look of "are you stupid". My idea was probably patentable in 1980 ;-)
BT telephone line - L'escargot
For what it's worth, plug-in type master sockets were first introduced by BT in 1981.
BT telephone line - cockle {P}
p,s box looks externally like test unit 14a - not had a look inside it though! - yet!

Billy, there was a type of block terminal which was like the BT52 internally but which had a 'snap' lid similar to the 14A, I would suggest it was one of those.

Just to clarify the situation, the line is the responsibility of BT, more correctly now, Openreach, from the exchange to, and including, the NTE5, the master socket.

The box that you are describing was always fitted to facilitate the change from external cable to internal cable; in jargonese to change from the dropwire and lead-in to internal.

In days gone by this dropwire was a grey 2 wire cable similar to a heavy duty bell-wire which was later replaced by a black cable containing 4 wires plus several steel strenthening support wires. The dropwire was much stiffer, and less aesthetic to run internally, hence the need to have a point to change from one sort of cable to another. it also provided the engineer with a handy point at which to test whether a fault was internal or external.

Latterly, post deregulation, the NTE5 has become a handier testing point and provides a demarcation point between Openreach's cabling and the internal extension wiring for which the customer is responsible, however it is still practice for Openreach to change from one type of cable to another when entering the property; in fact I believe that external cable can only be run for a maximum of 1 metre internally due to its poorer fire resistance and toxic fume properties.

As the NTE5 is now the service demarcation point, any cabling after is now your responsibilty to service/repair then I would suggest that in your friends case the fault was NOT his responsibility and he should not therefore be billed. The line rental you pay includes the maintainance of the line to the NTE5 UNLESS it can be shown that the householder or something for which he is responsible, eg a poorly maintained tree, causes damage beyond fair wear and tear.
Sadly in the modern world in which everyone is after every pound of flesh Openreach actually have people analysising every fault clearance to try and find a reason for charging for every repair if they can so it is important that if your friend is charged he should challenge it and make them justify the charge. I'm pretty confident that they won't be able to, unless he had done something to the BT to cause the problem, such as spill water all over it or somesuch.

Good luck, but he shouldn't need it, just needs to be forceful and not take any ********.
BT telephone line - FotheringtonThomas
I think it's at the master socket, too. BT's website has good instructions on how to check the line from there - I assume if the contact at BT didn't mention this (they are a nightmare to contact, IME), and there was no other way that your friend could have known of their charge (call out £100-ish + £90+/hr), although it is difficult to see how he could not have known, they might waive the charge - however, I'd bet he'll have to cough up!

Reading your post, did you say you've got:

----Incoming------BoxX-------Master------Phone

or:

----Incoming------Master-------BoxX------Phone
he's got: >>----Incoming------BoxX-------Master------Phone<<
and
>>(call out £100-ish + £90+/hr), Ahh! maybe he's been charged a call-out fee! - must interogate further maybe there is more! ;-)

Edited by billy25 on 05/01/2009 at 17:30

BT telephone line - deepwith
It sounds like a call out charge. We had repeated problems with our line/internet connexion which engineers kept insisting were down to our equipment. We replaced cables and so on and still had problems. Eventually a chap came to the house and set up some sort of test equipment in our house and went off to a sub-station to check the line. It transpired a junction box two fields away from us was flooded and they cancelled the charge.
BT telephone line - henry k
>>was a burnt out printed circuit board

Not sure what the box that cooked was. Most odd as voltage is not that high.
It looks like the "OLD" line termination box that a single phone flex connected with.
If so it looks like a DIY mod and I would have thought the job was to replace a faulty box ( hopefully with a new style NTE5 one.
Certainly worth asking what the charge was.

The modern NTE5 master box
some images.
www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/IMG_1...g
www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/talktalk/nte5.J...G
www.solwise.co.uk/images/nte5-idc-terminals-group-...g
img366.imageshack.us/img366/3627/cimg0517mm4.jpg

The concept is good. All DIY cabling is to the front plate. this has a normal socket on the front and a plug on its back.
Removing the front plate ( un plugging it) exposes a normal socket attached just to the incoming line. This permits testing just the line with all kit disconnected.

During sorting out my line I was informed that the cable from the outside termination ( a hook on the eaves in my house) to the master box must be routed so that it can be quickly replaced without disturbing decorations.

My original cable from the seond floor eaves went:
Down the front, through a window frame, down the hall wall, under the mat, along skirting and over three doors and through a door frame. UGH!

I had rerouted it to be hidden so back to work!.

Re my line, They terminated a bunch of us without warning while the cut and reconnected our lines in a capsule in a hole in the pavement, They replaced the cable from pole to house, cable to master socket and then found the fault was half a mile away - a poor joint of dry joint. No charges at any stage.

So good luck.
I've only had one encounter with BT with regard to a phone line problem (noisy line caused dial-up problems); a former BT manager friend had had a go but with little joy, although his involvement was somewhat restricted for obvious reasons.

The line was then initially checked on-line from the BT exchange, which is some 580 yards from where I live (in a straight line); I had to disconnect/reconnect various equipment such as the dial-up modem whilst the check was carried out.

BT decided it would investigate further and sent an engineer round the next day. He spent two hours checking out my phone(s) set up and replacing the wiring from the house box to the Master Socket, did the standard follow up check and declared it was a BT problem (an earthing problem in a section of BT's phone lines close by).

That saved me £50 plus VAT but, more importantly, I've had no problems since the work was done.

So it's worth remembering that, so long as the work involved is only as far as the Master Socket, then any BT charge is unlikely; it's also very worthwhile getting on the right side of the BT engineer whether the problem is down to your side of the setup or BT...:-)

BT telephone line - rtj70
My only ever complaint to BT was only just over a year ago... I emailed the CEO and he replied and appointed a senior customer manager. Problem sorted (he's not there now) and financial compensation. The problem was their fault. This current post looks like they are in their right to charge "something".

Argue the archaic box should already have been replaced etc.

Edited by rtj70 on 06/01/2009 at 00:09

>>My original cable from the seond floor eaves went>>

I've already written about my experience with BT above. The original wiring was crudely tucked under the skirting broad, but the engineer made a much neater job by taking the wiring under the hallway from the front door to the Master socket at the other end.

To achieve this he brought out a chimney sweep's broom handle from his van, which enabled him to carry the wiring via a ventilation hole under the front door to a trapdoor close to the Master socket.

Definitely prepared for anything..:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 06/01/2009 at 11:07

Afternoon folks,

Thanks for all your replies/suggestions (especially the in-depth explanation from Cockle - thanks) regardings friends Bt problem.
Armed with this knowledge he challenged BT yesterday, whereby it was discovered that due to his indignant attitude (was actually southern humour - which up north here can easily be confused with sarcasm!) some confusion had arisen!
When he 'phoned Customer Service for the second time (to inform them it wasn't his handset, and that the problem was thiers) the lass at BT said she would send an Engineer to find and rectify the fault,When told it would be between 3-5 working days,friend had replied words to the effect of "5 days without a phone, i've had one heart-attack, what if i have another with no phone"
Concerned, the lass had then flagged it as an emergency and despatched the engineer the next day! - hence the emergency call-out fee (£115).(there was no-charge for the repair, (which was as Cockle suggested a external/internal line converter,what the circuit board does we still dont know).
As a sign of goodwill, BT have agreed to wipe half of the fee, and he has agreed to pay the other.
Obviously, this was down to friends attitude and not BT.
Moral, - Initially, take all stories of woe with a pinch of salt!
Download the Beatles for free - adverse camber
Yes, I know that that sounds just like the beginning of a spamvertorial doesnt it?

It seems that the Beatles have always refused to allow their music to be made available through itunes etc. However the Norwegian broadcaster NRK has a right to convert its programmes - including music - into free downloads. They are now going to release the beatles back catalogue.

I'm sure someone can recommend a programme to cut the norwegian talk from the beginning o the podcasts.

Their web site says :

Some weeks ago, NRK - Norwegian Braodcasting - signed a deal with music rights holder organisation TONO in Norway. The new deal gives NRK right to publish podcasts of all previously broadcasted radio- and tv-programs that contains less then 70% music.

Podcast containing music may be up for four weeks, while our podcast without music stay up on our server forever.

One result of this deal, is that we now can publish ?Vår daglige Beatles? - ?Our Daily Beatles? in English - as a podcast.

In this series from 2001, journalists Finn Tokvam og Bård Ose tells the story of every single Beatles tracks ever made, chronologically. Each episode contains a 3 minute story about each track (sadly for our international visitors - in Norwegian) and the actual Beatles tune.

This is - as far as we know - the first time you can download the Beatles? music legally. Neither iTunes nor Amazon have The Beatles in their music stores.

The first episodes are already in the podcast, available from this RSS-feed:

podkast.nrk.no/program/beatles_komplett.rss

At the time of writing, 14 episodes are in the feed. All 212 will be there by the end of January!

If you liked this, consider giving us a digg at digg.com!

All NRK podcasts are available at nrk.no/podcast

For more information about NRK - se our English about page. NRKbeta.no is NRKs Norwegian technology website with some occasional English articles.

Edited by adverse camber on 07/01/2009 at 10:57

Download the Beatles for free - Another John H
According to this lot:

www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a140741/beatles-back-ca...l

it's gone already.

No Norwegian Wood, then.... :-{
More legal free music - maz64
www.we7.com/

You can stream tracks and whole albums for free, or make up and play your own playlists. It's funded by adverts which are a few seconds long and precede each track. I think quality is 192kbps, and there appears to be a good selection (but of course no Beatles).

It's a good way of listening to a whole album legally if you're not sure whether to buy or not.

Anyone know of any other good free music sites?
More legal free music - Pugugly
Buy the CDs and rip them - they deserve the royalties !
More legal free music - maz64
Buy the CDs and rip them - they deserve the royalties !

I like to listen first to see whether they deserve them or not :-)
More legal free music - Altea Ego
No they dont. One cant drum or sing ( bad news for a drummer ), two are dead and I refuse to pay for the other ones divorces.
More legal free music - Armitage Shanks {p}
John Lennon was once asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. He allegedly replied that Ringo wans't even the best drummer in the Beatles!
More legal free music - L'escargot
Buy the CDs and rip them ..........

Are you suggesting we infringe the copyright or whatever? Shame on you.
More legal free music - ifithelps
Beatles motoring llink:

The line "Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire" from a A Day in the Life on Sgt Peppers was almost certainly taken from the Daily Mail.

A councillor in Blackburn asked a question of the borough engineer concerning the state of the roads in the town.

The engineer's reply included the information there were an estimated 4,000 potholes.

The exchange made about 100 words in the Mail.

Good to know the lads were reading a quality newspaper during breaks from creating some of the greatest popular music ever recorded.