What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 265 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 266 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 265. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/12/2008 at 13:32

Inadvertant shoplifting- what would you do? (cont) - maz64
>> Gone back to the customer services desk handed it over while smiling and saying something
>> like 'found this outside' and walked off. Otherwise I would feel guilty.

I don't get this. If the decision is that it's morally wrong to just walk off with it,
then why not go back in and give them the money for it?

Ah yes- good point, I'd overlooked the fact that OP deliberately put the soap in the trolley (but accidentally didn't pay for it).

In which case given the small value involved I would try to live with the guilt :-)
Inadvertant shoplifting- what would you do? (cont) - bathtub tom
SWMBO bought some clothing from a large supermarket, the till staff omitted to remove the security tag.

The 'phone call (at my cost) resulted in my being told to return the item with the receipt and the tag would be removed.

SWMBO wanted to wear the item before her next visit to the retailer, so it fell to me to return with it (at my cost).

As I entered the premises, the security alarm went off. The staff pounced on some poor soul leaving and despite my protestations to their probable innocence told me to 'step back'. Oh what fun.

I'd say 'stuff it' and pocket the soap.
Inadvertant shoplifting- what would you do? (cont) - rtj70
I hope you paid for it after it was worn when you went back...
It was paid for before then.

It was paid for when picked up.

I was returning the item to have the security tag removed. The receipt was with me.

Bah humbug! Blooming mods ;>)
Why did it not go off the first time??? I've had security items in supermarkets not properly disabled and the security guard sorts it.

I can't answer that, I wasn't there. I don't do shopping if I can avoid it.
But you were made to take it back :-)

I've also seen people walk out and the alarms sound - and nobody goes after them.
SWMBO must be obeyed.

She wouldn't wear it with a great lump of grey plastic hanging down the back!
DNA - geoff1248
Imagine the situation where I provide a blood sample for DNA profiling. A day or two later I am involved in an incident that requires me to have a blood transfusion. If I then gave another blood sample for DNA profiling surely it would differ from the first sample as it was in effect someone else's blood.
DNA - Altea Ego
DNA sample is not taken from blood. Its taken from skin and mucus cells.
DNA - FotheringtonThomas
Yes, it would be different.
DNA - geoff1248
So, AE, are you saying that a DNA profile from blood sample alone can not be considered as "reliable"?
DNA - Altea Ego
no i didnt say that at all. I am saying that your first dna sample you gave would not be from blood, so your DNA on the database would be "pure you"

I suppose that if you subsequently had a blood transfusion and then left a blood sample behind then it might not be easily identifiable as "you" If you were a suspect from this sanmple they would take another "pure" sample of dna from your mucous.
DNA - jbif
If I then gave another blood sample for DNA profiling surely it would differ from the first sample as it was in effect someone else's blood.

No, according to:
answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/282837.ht...l
ask.yahoo.com/20050506.html
"The short answer is "no," and the longer answer is "no way." We assembled our own little blog of blood to explain, drawing from a San Diego Union Tribune column, a posting on the MadSci Network, and several other sources. ... "

more results at:
www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en-GB&q=dna...n

Edited by jbif on 22/12/2008 at 15:22

DNA - FotheringtonThomas
The "no" in the above is rather misleading. It will certainly change your DNA profile. The article does state that. That it won't change it permanently is true, of course.
DNA - jbif
The "no" in the above is rather misleading ....

From the first link I posted: Actual test results

""Would the DNA profile from someone who has been the recipient of a
whole blood transfusion reflect some (any?) characteristics of the
blood donor. If so, how long would these characteristics remain?...

No, a person who received a whole blood transfusion would not display
detectable amounts of the donor's DNA profile. Due to certain
limitations, whole blood transfusions are rare; most blood
transfusions today are done with what's called packed red blood cells,
a.k.a. erythrocytes, which perform the function of transporting oxygen
and carbon dioxide to and from the cells of the body. Erythrocytes
contain no DNA, however, having lost their nuclei during maturation...
White blood cells, a.k.a. leukocytes, contain nuclei and are the
agents that provide a DNA profile from blood. In whole blood
transfusions, the whole soup is transfused from one person to
another...

In actual observation, the DNA profile of a blood donor has not been
detected
in the peripheral blood of a recipient, regardless of how
much was transfused. In one study, a woman was transfused with 14
units of blood (four whole, ten packed red cells), while a man
received 13 units (four whole, nine packed red cells). In both cases,
neither individual had detectable levels of the foreign DNA profile,
despite being tested as late as the following day."

Edited by jbif on 22/12/2008 at 18:05

Canon digital camera - maltrap
I have a Canon Ixus 500 digital camera. The catch on the CFcard door is broken. I,m holding it shut with Sellotape at the moment, does anyone know of a website etc that might be helpful. Thanks in anticipation.
Canon digital camera - rtj70
www.canon.co.uk? Or take it to somewhere like Jessops to get it repaired?

You'll probably find it is cheaper to buy a new camera than getting it fixed if outside of warranty.
Canon digital camera - FotheringtonThomas
Unless it's still under guarantee, and it was a faulty component, Sellotape or other wizardry is your best bet (unless you can get a broken camera for nothing). You'll otherwise find it hard to operate the thing with only one arm and leg.
Or buy one that has another fault, e.g. tinyurl.com/9codas and fix yourself?

The one I link too has the common Ixus zoom problem. My APS IXUS camera back in 1999 had that problem too! I would not pay too much to fix it if I were you because something else might break.

Does it work with the door open? If so the only problem is holding it shut... elastic band ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 22/12/2008 at 16:34

maltrap, on dpreview.com I see articles on the Ixus 500 from 5 years ago. If sellotape or elastic bands don't work for you get one as a present to yourself for Christmas. Obviously it will help the far east economies more than ours though.
Canon digital camera - Stuartli
If you intend to replace the Isus, as you re aware, Canon makes some cracking digital cameras and the basis of many of them is the body used on this 7MP A560:

tinyurl.com/5pv4x2

which was on sale at Argos for a remarkable £60 until now, having been reduced even further to just over £57. It also has a proper viewfinder, something becoming more and more rare on compact digital cameras.

The A580 is only around another £20 more..:-)

tinyurl.com/8ex5gl

More choices:

tinyurl.com/8qz4bt

Incidentally, Canon models with IS after the model number have the Image Stabilisation feature, which can prove very useful with the longer zoom range lenses, such as 6x.

You might also find this Fuji an interesting alternative for under £95:

tinyurl.com/5unm29

Canon digital camera - Armitage Shanks {p}
I totally agree with Stuart's comments re a viewfinder. A large LCD screen is great ofr composing pictures under many situations, but in bright sunlight one can find that the screen is washed out by the bright light or all one can see is a reflection of one's own face! Even if the view finder in not thru the lens, as in an SLR, it is a great deal better than nothing, IMO!
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - L'escargot
What words/phrases irritate you the most?

I'll start with .........

Rip-off Britain
Credit crunch
Politically incorrect
At the end of the day
At this moment in time
24/7

Edited by L'escargot on 24/12/2008 at 07:49

Words/phrases that irritate you the most - redviper
"Innit"
Gasoline
Gotten

(thats about all i can think of for now lol)
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - Armitage Shanks {p}
Up Next
Top of the hour
XX Years of age not XX years old
Met people describing weather as being "on offer".
Similarly "Spits and Spots of rain"
Sportsmen/women described as "Putting down the hammer"
"Like" as in " I was like, really happy"
You know - any sportsperson being interviewed.
"Like I said" sportspeople again

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 24/12/2008 at 09:27

Words/phrases that irritate you the most - bathtub tom
Lists of best of/worst of like this.

Bah, crimble humbug. ;>)
Green, for anything other than a colour
Carbon footprint
Carbon emissions (instead of carbon dioxide emisions)
Gay, for anything other than happy
Reiterate, when the speaker means iterate (repeat). To reiterate means to repeat over and over again.
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - BazzaBear {P}
"political correctness gone mad"

Although, on the other hand, it's quite a good warning sign that the person using the phrase might be a closet bigot.

(That's an important might there - I'm not suggesting that everyone who says it is a racist!)
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - JH
Too many to mention!

Back to back
infer, when imply should be used
24 / 7 rather than 24 * 7 - that would be 3 hours a day then?
"I don't disagree, but..."
Sale ads that mix the % reduction with the final price % in one sentence. I can't think of any now.
Happy Holidays - you have American relatives too?

I think my mind has blotted them all out!

JH

Edited by JH on 24/12/2008 at 10:24

"Have you got a Nectar card at all?"
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - Clk Sec
All things being equal
Two times
Albeit (when used repeatedly)

Words/phrases that irritate you the most - Alby Back
"Enter your pin please"

No really, is that what you do? Well I'll be..

:-(
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - oldnotbold
Would that be for yourself?

which easily translates into English as: Is it for you?

Edited by oldnotbold on 24/12/2008 at 12:32

Words/phrases that irritate you the most - henry k
two pee please.

Words/phrases that irritate you the most - ifithelps
"refute" when the person means "deny".

"going forward" tacked on at the end of a sentence.

"no brainer"

And, when spoken insincerely: "merry Christmas".
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - pete&hisgolf
'Literally'
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - harry m
can you keep me in the loop.
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - mfarrow
Practical - as in "it's not practical to do that"

"The engineers down the road at Kwik-Fit"

"-gate"
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - terryb
Don't get me started - oh too late!

"actually"
"basically"
"for free"

Many, many more :-)

Words/phrases that irritate you the most - Stuartli
"After all"

"I, myself, me, personally think that..."

"At this moment in time"

"You know" (actually I don't, so I'm waiting for you to enlighten me..!)
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - gordonbennet
''i need you to do''

instead of asking politely in plain English with the all powerful 'please' somewhere in the sentence.
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - 1400ted
' Can I have some housekeeping, please.'

'Gobsmacked' ....... horrible word.

'10 items or 'LESS'.
'
Ted
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - 1400ted
I forgot one...The announcer in Morrisons used to say all the time ' Buy one, get another ABSOLUTELY free'........surely free or costs summat ?
Ted
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - Manatee
"Invite" instead of invitation.

"Impact" instead of affect.

"Engage" instead of involve.

"Touch base".

"Of" instead of have, as in would of, could of.

"Eck cetra" instead of et cetera.
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - David Horn
"Lessons will be learned from this..."
Variation on DH's input "We shall put measures in place to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again". Victoria Climbie, Baby 'P', loss of data, shooting of Brazilian electricians. Need I add more?
I have to say ......... (I'm sure they don't have to.)

Intellectual property
Words/phrases that irritate you the most - sierraman
Stepping up to the plate I have tried to engage with this going forward but to be honest at the end of the day I literally cannot think of anything that potentially annoys me while I am sat here.
Dyspraxia - hxj

I have been looking on the web trying to understand this.

Does anyone know of any good web based resources or any books or guides?

Thanks
Dyspraxia - Stuartli
www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/

www.ldworldwide.org/?gclid=CJje7Z-C2pcCFUsa3godPzj...g

www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/dyspraxia2.shtml

tinyurl.com/8a9qkn

tinyurl.com/8a9qkn

tinyurl.com/9pna9k

There are many other links.
Dyspraxia - hxj

Thanks, have those and lots of others. I suppose that I am hoping that there are some less obvious resources available.

Any ideas?
Dyspraxia - Altea Ego
TBH, it would help to know what angle you are approaching this from.

Is it as a carer/parent of a dyspraxic child?, assistance / clarification with diagnosis? professional interest?

Dyspraxia - hxj

Purely personal.

I'm due to undergo some assessments myself at the ripe old age of mid-40s.
Dyspraxia - Altea Ego
Purely personal.
I'm due to undergo some assessments myself at the ripe old age of mid-40s.

well thast a hellava way to have a mid life crisis there HXJ ;)

Happy christmas
Dyspraxia - hxj

Merry Christmas to you too!

The potential diagnosis came as a result of the serious mid life crisis - (Not blaming "mlc" here as I drive regularly on his patch :) ) - it's actually come as a huge eye opener and a relief.

Now I know why I can't write neatly, draw, dance, clap in rhythm, always reverse or miss letters when typing, was hopeless at sport, find parking the car neatly tricky, find new systems so difficult and so spend so much time bending or breaking them or just not using them, travel to somewhere new without major stress, arrive anywhere late and have absolutely no organisational skills and am completely useless at anything mechanical!!!

I also spent huge amounts of time on coping strategies, which all worked!! (Well until I ran out of time)

And all with what most people would call a very well paid and stressful job and 4 kids.

Strange lives we lead! But I feel so much better now!

"Get mammy to put your new bike together dear, daddy just can't do it ...... really" is much better than spending two hours failing, bruising all parts of my body and still not getting it right - lol

Dyspraxia - Altea Ego
I know where you are coming from. Son was diagnosed with ADHD early on in is life. Looking at his symptoms, I know where he got it from. Me. Of course in my day ADHD didnt exist so I was just called "troublesome"

Son also has many dyspraxic qualities, - shocking handwriting, cant play sport, terrible co-odination etc. He can charm the birds from the trees tho and is a born salesman.

Dyspraxia - hxj

Sadly I'm not a born salesman :(

I do always get the difficult problems at work, I now realise that this is because I can bring a different perspective to them :)

I was never really troublesome, just never could get the hang of things, but lucky to be bright enough for the last 40 odd years to work or not work things out! I have become the real "Mr Loophole" for management systems that I didn't get on with :)

So there are an equal number of positives and negatives.

Dyspraxia - spikeyhead {p}
I have become the real "Mr Loophole" for management systems that I didn't
get on with :)

I got so good at that at one place I worked at, they made me spend 13 months producing something that actually worked, been copied in a few other places successfully too.
Dyspraxia - Stuartli
One of my offspring suffered from ADHD - no one really knew what was the cause in those days.

However, from the time when he was a young teenager and quietly taken aside by a family friend to offer some timely advice (wouldn't listen to his parents!), he realised being "troublesome" wasn't going to help him get the job he had set his heart on.

So he buckled down, got his qualifications and developed into an outstanding and gregarious individual, who is widely liked and admired. The job offers came along too.
Digital Cameras - Paul Robinson
Can anyone suggest a 'best buy' up to £100 for someone who wants general all purpose simple camera?
Digital Cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
No specific recommendations but I think you will regret it if you buy one without a viewfinder - the screen itself is very good but not in very bright light, when it becomes 'washed out'. If you don't mind a slightly larger size, buy one which uses AA batteries which can easily be bought world wide; many small cameras have equally small, non-interchangeable and expensive batteries, some with suprisingly short lives too. Many cameras have an annoying delay between the pressing of the shutter and the actual taking of the picture which can spoil things. Perhapsthere is an on-line version of "What Camera" or a mag of that ilk? If not, perhaps buy one issue and see what the real experts say?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 27/12/2008 at 12:41

Digital Cameras - Altea Ego
Fuji S5800- currently £109.55 at amazon or £95 at argos

Best value camera around.
Digital Cameras - PhilW
"Fuji S5800- currently £109.55 at amazon or £95 at argos
Best value camera around."

I'll second that - except if you want one to slip in your pocket - it's too bulky for that.
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - BobbyG
Looking to possible get a new TV whilst the prices are keen, looking at at 40 or 42 inch.

Done lots of research on web as well as going into Currys / Richer Sounds etc. I am being swayed that over 40inch Plasma is better. Whats the thoughts here?

I am primarily looking at a couple of LG models that RicherSounds have at £499 and £549. I am a satisfied previous customer of theirs and their 5 year warranty only costs 10% of the purchase price. Currys wanted £230 for the same!!

At this moment in time whilst we are still in rented accomodation it is going to be used purely for watching TV (from Freeview) or DVDs. Once I move back to my own house we will be connecting back up to Virgin box. Maybe occasionally using the wii or ps2 but that would really be it gaming wise.

Is the 1080 resolution worth paying extra for or is that purely for high end gaming like ps3s and blu-ray ?

A few people have told me that LCD is much cheaper to run, Plasma dearer and the screen doesn't last as long. But some of the research suggests differently in that Plasmas use different powers depending on light/darkness of pictures etc?

Any thoughts / experiences would be most welcomed.
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - rtj70
I you can then full HD 1080P then you are future proofing but I'd be surprised.

A bit of a brain dump before I go to watch a movie downstairs..

1. LCD tends to use a little less electricity

2. Plasma used to have a burn in effect for logos (like Sky) but less so now.

3. LCD uses backlights (LEDs on newest sets but fluorescent tubes on a lot) so contrast can be compromised. Plasma uses... well Plasma at each pixel to create light. You get better blacks on Plasma when the scene has some brightness. Forget the claims of LCD of 30000:1 contrast ratios as that is marketing.

4. When you go back to Virgin Media is that via a V+ box or standard V Box? The V+ can do upscaling of normal SD channels.... we have this. Impressed - yes. But it's 720p or 1080i. As it Sky HD.

5. The only source of true 1080P HD is either Blueray (was also HD-DVD) and a games console.

6. At 40"+ you probably would notice the more pixels. But if you watch only SD channels and DVDs then the resolution is no more than 720x576. Somehow a HD-Ready set has to extrapolate (i.e. guess) to make this 1366x720 and on a Full HD it has to guess the missing information for 1920x1080. A Big difference.

7. Running costs? The bigger the more expensive. People assume LCD is cheaper than CRT even My 32" LCD is rated at 140W. You're probably right on the "it depends" answer. If the screen is dark Plasma does not use so much but will if bright all over. LCD's backlight is always on.

8. If you can get a good price at John Lewis they offer 5 year guarantee on all TVs. They also price match local stores. If your local Currys/Richer Sounds cheaper then go to JL and tell them. They will check it out and then match it.

9. For LCD, it's not only resolution to consider. Refresh rate is important too. My set does 100Hz to avoid some of the blur issues on LCDs (not so much Plasma).

10. Before Xmas JL had some cracking deals on Panasonic Plasmas around 40-42" in size... to big for my wife ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 27/12/2008 at 19:41

LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - Altea Ego
For LCD, it's not only resolution to consider. Refresh rate is important too. My set does 100Hz to avoid some of the blur issues on LCDs (not so much Plasma).

100 hz has nothing to do with blur. Its the panel pixel response time that matters, under 5ms required to reduce blur.
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - gordonbennet
One of the many things that swayed us to LCD when we upgraded to 40" (and that now seems too small in our living room, can't believe we used to think a 21" was plenty), was the recognised limited screen life of the plasma and the fact that on our (Sony for info), you can still see the full picure even when sitting to one side of the screen infact almost parallel to it.

Move even slightly to one side of the plasma's i've seen so far and the picture all but disappears, that of course may not matter to you, but it might be a consideration.

So far, probably 3 years now totally reliable and i should hope so too.

If you find any cracking bargains do tell, we wouldn't mind getting 46 or 50" for the living room and sending the 40" to the bedroom.
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - Stuartli
>>..the recognised limited screen life of the plasma..>>

Plasma panels life span has been vastly improved and Panasonic's latest models, for instance, are rated for up to 100,000 hours display life; plasma TVs also provide superior display quality to LCD models.

It's LCD models, not plasma, where the display gradually fades when you move to the left or right of the screen - that's why a viewing angle is listed, usually around 170 degrees.

Regarding burn-in on plasma sets, this is also much, much less of an issue; even better is to get rid of logos on-screen such as BBCi, Choose Sport, Form and Results etc by pressing the green button on your remote control.

Although the logo is then non-visible, the BBC channels' red button option, for instance, is still available.

Edited by Stuartli on 27/12/2008 at 23:48

I am now even more confused - was stupid enough to refer to the Which? reviews online and they come out very strongly in favour of LCD against Plasma!

Definitely seems to be two "corners" with supporters in each side stating theirs is better because of x,y and z.

Maybe that then means that there is much of a muchness between them? I was looking to spend, tops, £600 including extended warranty. John Lewis seems to be a bit dearer, but Argos are advertsing certain lines today with free 3 year warranty.

In this current climate you wonder who is going to be around in 2 or 3 years to honour the warranty you have paid for!!

My search continues today...
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - maz64
www.ebuyer.com/product/153089 ?
>>My search continues today...>>

Apart from the fact that a Panasonic, whether LCD or plasma, is probably the best TV you can buy today in any size, the five year warranty available is provided by Panasonic itself; it's worth £200 in added value if provided with the TV.

Well worth hunting around for best prices on Panasonic's range of integrated Freesat TVs if you are looking to enjoy high definition transmissions (ITV has stated its HD content will never be available on the Sky platform); sizes range from 32in to 50in. See:

www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/711712/index.html#a...5

The youngest offspring has had this new Panny model (TH37PX80) since it was launched in July:

tinyurl.com/9efmkg

He paid more than £650 at the time, but this link offers the best price I've found for it to date. Stunning display quality, especially with Blu-Ray, FreeSat, Humax FOXSAT-HDR and other HD sources.

Edited by Stuartli on 28/12/2008 at 13:23

LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Richer Sounds have keen, but maybe not the lowest prices. Also knowledgeable staff and a 5 year warranty on a TV for 10% of the purchase price. When we unpacked the one we bought for £345 (insurance £34.50) a card fell out offering the manufacturer's 5 year warranty for £199!!!
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - terryb
Looking at the same thing myself. My brother is a firm supporter of Richer Sounds - it seems not ony is their 5 year guarantee only 10% of purchase price but if it hasn't been claimed on after 5 years you can get it refunded - but you have to remember to claim within a month of expiry. He had 3 attempts at getting a working Toshiba and they (Richer Sounds) were very helpful. He ended up with a Panasonic!

A neighbour has an enormous plasma screen home cinema and says you can heat the room with it!

I'm leaning towards a 40 or 42 inch LCD with suitable refresh rates.

Terry, I have always liked Richer Sounds in Glasgow who I have dealt with several times and in this day and age there is part of me that wants to support the "small boys" when I can!
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Polite correction to Terryb. Richer sounds refund warranties on which you do not claim but not on TVs, or so I was told in the Reading branch. With or without a refund a 5year warranty @ 10% of the purchase is a good deal.
Stuart, when you say Panasonic does the warranty itself is that only when bought in certain places or do they all come with that no matter where bought?
Stuart when you say Panasonic does the warranty itself is that only when bought in
certain places or do they all come with that no matter where bought?>>

It's when Panasonic offers it as an inducement as part of the purchase price that it comes "free", otherwise it's up to £200 extra - still good value even if you have to pay.

It's particularly important to have the warranty if you buy on-line and have the TV delivered by courier - such operators are not always as gentle or careful as they could be and the panels can/may eventually pack up (no matter what the make involved).

One of my friends works for a local independent audio/television/appliances retailer (owns several outlets) whose group is the service agent covering a large area for Panasonic and several other major brands.

When they deliver a television set it is done with the utmost care and, to date, they have never had a customer who has needed to have their TV's panel replaced.

However, the service workshop has a regular influx of courier delivered TVs which have needed to have the panels replaced - in every case workshop staff believe it has been due to careless handling in transit to customers.

Edited by Stuartli on 28/12/2008 at 16:23

Just had the usual "Christmas catch up" call with my sister in Ireland and it turns out they have recently bought the Panasonic TH-42PX80B. My b-i-l does even more research than me before he buys anything and his friend also has this same model so it looks promising now!

The one consistent answer I have got through all this is that Panasonic make the best TVs or so folk would make you believe!
I won't comment on makes of TV (current LCD and previous/still current CRT are Panasonic).

I would still say consider a price match at John Lewis for the warranty (5 years - JL will be about as its a partnership). But do not assume the price in store is the same as online. Price match is regional/shop based. My TV was over £600 when I got it via online but a lot less in my local store.... price dropped later by the VAT rate but online had dropped to only £500.

I would have gone for a bigger TV. My wife didn't want bigger than 26" originally (Seen in store) but I got the 32" for less. Then she wondered if they did a 35"!

>>The one consistent answer I have got through all this is that Panasonic make the best TVs or so folk would make you believe!>>

It's simple - they do in at least 90 per cent or more examples against rivals' offerings....:-)
As part of my investigation I wanted to see sets side by side. So I went to the local John Lewis. Panasonic, Sony, LG, Samsung, etc all next to each other.... even for Freeview there was a marked difference. You have to see the difference to realise. It is not all down to the panel but that is a big part.

The shop staff (after a few visits) admitted their preference. One Samsung higher end set had poor max volume - not poor quality but quiet.

As part of my visits I realised a lot of other interested in the good deal I was looking at... and I helped sell more than 6 TVs for JL. Simply by talking to fellow buyers and seeing if my view/opinion was right... And we agreed which sets were better.

I also came across people choosing TVs based on what the idea of the TV itself without considering the picture shown for standard definition was real poor!

Are all JL TV's available online? Reason I am asking is the model I am looking for is not shown on their website - do they have different ones instore?

Their cheapest Panasonic Plasma on their website is £792 !
The stock in store can differ. And the prices definately do.
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - David Horn
We bought an 32 inch LG plasma last week for a shade under £400. First one we've had that doesn't make a standard definition source look pants. Highly recommended.
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - M.M
>>First one we've had that doesn't make a standard definition source look pants

Can you tell a little more about that David. We have a 26" Panasonic LCD and 20" Sony Bravia LCD plus a first generation 14" Sharp LCD with 4:3 screen. All have good pictures from Freeview sources but they are very modest screen sizes relative to viewing distance. Last year we had a 32" Samsung LCD for 24hrs and returned it as the image was so blury and garish on standard sources... it had looked OK on HD in the shop though!

We are pondering a shuffle round and another try of a 32" in the living room so wondered if a plasma or latest generation premium LCD were better (ie the 32" models that cost £700 rather than £350).

David

Edited by M.M on 29/12/2008 at 13:04

Just an update. Richer Sounds don't have any in stock and not sure when they will be back in and at what price.
Currys have them in stock but only one year guarantee.
John Lewis had it for £599 but none in stock and showing discontinued in their computer!

So if I want this particular model its off to Currys and a one year warranty. Is this advisable ie. is it silly to get a plasma with only one year warranty or is it a case, as with a lot of items, that if they are faulty it will show up in first year anyway?
LCD vs Plasma - latest opinions? - Altea Ego
I wouldnt buy a plasma
Why not?
LCD or Plasma - Altea Ego
>why not

They run hot, they are heavier, they can get screen burn (likely if the kids use computer games on them) they are less reliable, and the quality (compared to a good modern lcd) is no better, and they are less reliable.

MM, I found Samsungs in John Lewis to have far worse picture quality than other sets, particularly the Panasonic. Indeed the Panasonic was better than all the others in my opinion. Be aware that Sony now uses Samsung LCD panels and no longer produces LCD panels themselves.

I am pleased with our Panasonic LCD (32") and although most channels are standard definition, the Virgin Media V+ box is doing the upscaling to 720P so may be making a difference.
Home brewing - Martin Devon
Hello all, does anybody on here have any experience of brewing at home. Real ale is my passion with quality being paramount. All info' gratefully accepted.

thanks...........................Martin.
Home brewing - Nsar
>>Real ale is my passion with quality being paramount<<

I'd suggest that professional brewers are going to be the one that satisfies your passion over amateur efforts.

Home brew is one of those endeavours which proves the adage "the quality is appreciated long after the price is forgotten"

Home brewing - bathtub tom
Been there. Done that. Stunk out the airing cupboard.

SWMBO won't let me me do it any more.

You will get get obsessed with brewing the maximum alcohol content you can. IIRC you can reach about fifteen per cent, but it tastes like an anagram of what our eastern european cousins eat this time of year (Carp! I'm not racist, my daughter's married to one, and we had a very pleasant time with them over the holiday).

You'll spend an awful lot of money on the kit, only to find you can buy better tasting stuff for a similar price. Do it only for the experience, unless of course you find you're good enough to flog it as a 'micro brewery'. That's a whole new ball game.
Home brewing - captain chaos
Mmmm home brewing. Don't do it. The eighties were just a blur for me ;-)
Home brewing - Big Bad Dave
"what our eastern european cousins eat this time of year (Carp!)"

I was standing at a supermarket checkout in Warsaw on Christmas Eve (buying the Nan Bread and Balti sauce for the Christmas lunch). I was in a deep day-dream from which I was rudely awoken when one of the bags on conveyer in front of me launched into the air and started smacking itself from side to side, knocking off tins and jars, causing a huge calamity and frightening the life out of me and everyone else in the queue. For a split second I thought some electric toy had come to life but then a huge Carp's tail broke out of the bag and was eventually subdued and shoved back inside. I very nearly carped myself I don't mind admitting and even old Miserable Magda on the till cracked a smile.
Home brewing - Martin Devon
Thanks guys, I only asked!!. Trying to save a shilling what with the current carp climate.

Best reg's.....MD

Edited by Webmaster on 28/12/2008 at 21:15

Home brewing - sierraman
'you can buy better tasting stuff for a similar price',

Where can you buy beer for 15-20 p per pint?
Give it a go,but do not expect to produce Ancient Strange Vicars Digit from a kit,but a pleasantly drinkable ,and potent,beer can be made.There are a couple of points to make kits work better-don't brew lager,it won't be good,include an anaerobic fermentation.The instructions will tell you to brew it out in the bin then barrel or bottle,this will give you the well known yeasty homebrew taste.Instead,after the initial vigorous fermentation,rack off into a closed container under an airlock,let it finish then barrel.Use a decent quality pressure barrel with a large lid,for cleaning inside,and a large CO2 cylinder,like a Hambleton Bard,rather than cartridges.Most importantly,sterilise equipment with sodium metabisulphite before use.
Home brewing - billy25
You used to be able to get "Tom Caxton" home-brew kits that made 40pints or so of ale. lager, or whatever! - maybe they are still about?

had many pints of home-brew over the years (but never made it myself), a good brew is just impossible to leave alone! - but stock up on toilet rolls because one bad pint will equal three rolls!!!

Billy
Home brewing - Another John H
>>You used to be able to get "Tom Caxton" home-brew kits that made 40pints or so of ale.
>>lager, or whatever! - maybe they are still about?

it seems they still are

www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Tom_Caxton.h...l

it's worth getting the funny sugar.

Can end up less than 40p pint.
Home brewing - 1400ted
I have used Woodfordes kits for a few years. You can find them on the link above. Click on 'Kits'. They are two large cans of malt and a packet of yeast. Add sugar and 40litres of water and leave for about two weeks. I don't mess about with special bottles, I use empty plastic lemonade, etc , bottles, swilled out with the cap screwed back on to keep them clean inside until the beer is ready. No messing about, no alchemy...simple. You can see the beer clearing in the bottles.
You won't get 'Old Speckled Hen' but I've never had a bad brew. I like their 'Great Eastern Bitter'.
Ted