What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 256 - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 257 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 256. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/10/2008 at 21:01

Mandelson - unelected minister? - David Horn
A bit confused over all this. My understanding is somehow Peter Mandelson has managed to end up in the cabinet, despite being unelected. On top of this, he's also been made a Lord, which is again puzzling me. I thought the House of Lords and the House of Commons remain completely separate in order to give the illusion that we worthless commoners run our own country.

I've no doubt this is legal (I'm sure someone far brighter than me would have noticed by now...), but is it unprecedented? Effectively, a personal acquaintance of the PM has just been placed into a position of power in the government and it doesn't seem right.
Mandelson - unelected minister? - AlastairW
Entirely normal. To be in the cabinet, one usually has to be a parliamentarian - it does not matter which house. I sure others more knowledgeable than I will be able to cite examples from history.
Mandelson - unelected minister? - Pugugly
Not the first appointment in the manner - Lord West, an honest and decent man, is another.
Mandelson - unelected minister? - Optimist
M'learned friends are absolutely right. You can't be in the Cabinet unless you're in Parliament, so if not elected you must be, ahem, ennobled.

You never know: maybe our new noble Lord will brighten up our days with a hat-trick of resignations from the Cabinet.

Mandelson - unelected minister? - crunch_time
Perhaps his appointment was made under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act?

Mandelson - unelected minister? - Lud
Already got the oppo on the back foot though innit? Fine Italian hand, ooh yeah....
Mandelson - unelected minister? - cheddar
I think it is scandelous, he is a failed politician who has been paid well over the odds for doing nothing special in Europe, Brown wheels him back in and we are supposed to welcome him like a Keegan to Newcastle.
Leder Gris. - Pugugly
Had a tub of this free inside my new Motorcycle boots - is it as good as it makes out on the tin ?
Leder Gris. - Lud
What we used to put on our rugger or footer boots and that I thought was called 'dubbin'?
Leder Gris. - Stuartli
Richard Littlejohn always gets to the heart of the matter in brilliant style:

tinyurl.com/5m5jxq

tinyurl.com/4r3qzb

tinyurl.com/6jpso7

Leder Gris. - Baskerville
I was wondering what Richard Littlejohn had to say about dubbin, and then I realised ...
Leder Gris. - Pugugly
And me. Polished my boots with a discarded copy of the Daily Mail ;-)
Leder Gris. - Alby Back
Re the Leder Gris. It is, as has been suggested a form of dubbin. Dubbin has the benefit of of providing waterproofing by soaking into the leather and stitching. It does tend however, to remain fairly unpleasant to the touch and does little to enhance the appearance of the leather. A side effect of such sealing is that the quality of the upper material is negated. Any breathability formerly present in the construction or indeed the leather is stifled. If you simply want the boots to be waterproof it's fine but in my view that effect could have been achieved with a much cheaper upper material treated with the leder gris. I am no biker but the other downside I could envisage is that it will cause the leather to become very slippery when wet.

If the boots have already been pre-treated with this it can be quite difficult to remove. However, there are ways. If you have some petrol lighter fluid, dab some on to a dry lint free cloth. An old pocket hanky is ideal. Gently rub the leather in a slow circular motion with a sparing amount of lighter fluid on the cloth and it will lift the top dressing of the dubbin off. Allow the leather to recover in the dry state overnight in a dry but not too warm place.

Re-treat the leather with a quality wax based shoe polish. Kiwi is one of the best. Avoid the Parade Gloss though, it will shine brighter but is less stable. Apply the polish with a soft horsehair brush working it well into seams, stitching and joins. Allow to stand for a tea break amount of time. Buff off with different clean horsehair brush again paying particular attention to the detail areas previously mentioned. Have another cup of tea. Repeat the application of polish and subsequent buffing with a brush. Find a clean but previously washed yellow duster which has lost all its lint. Gently polish the leather with the duster. Finally take your buffing brush again and skim it rapidly over the leather in a sweeping motion.

Your boots will look fab. They will also be just as waterproof but they will allow your feet to breath and will not slip on the controls. Repeat as often as you can be bothered but always immediately after drying out. Leather is a natural material and dislikes being starved.
Leder Gris. - Pugugly
Thank you Humph - Kiwi polish it is - tried and tested in this household, being ex-military on my father's side. He had us bulling our best shoes as kids.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
Leder Gris. - bathtub tom
There you are PU, something for the SWMBO to be getting on with.

Personally I never read the Daily Mail, I would've thought it was too left wing for you as well. ;>)
Leder Gris. - Pugugly
Ah I did use the word "discarded" !
Leder Gris. - bathtub tom
Touche!

Never argue with a lawyer ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom on 23/10/2008 at 00:01

Leder Gris. - Lud
He had us bulling our best shoes as kids.

>>

With hot teaspoons and lots of spit?

Always seemed a bit unhygienic to me that army technique. It worked of course, but what finally is the point of getting the garment intended to protect your feet from mud, stones and so on shinier than any other part of you?

I have come to the conclusion that like certain other aspects of military training and comportment, this perverse obsession is designed to make the recruit understand that nothing makes sense and the prudent attitude is to do exactly what you are told. Yours not to reason why.

It makes a good army, but in extreme cases it makes bad men.
Leder Gris. - Kevin
Whatever happened to "spit 'n polish"?

When I was very young my father and uncle were both volunteer firemen.

They used to take us kids down to the station on Saturday mornings and I can remember all the guys rubbing wax polish onto their boots with the handle of a spoon, spitting onto the wax and rubbing again. They'd let the wax dry for a while and then buff with a soft brush and duster. I've never seen shinier boots.

Kevin...
Leder Gris. - Nsar
If you want super shiny shoes, light the polish with a match and let it burn till you have half a teaspoon of liquid. Apply with a cloth and buff.

Presto Hey!

Leder Gris. - ifithelps
...If you want super shiny shoes light the polish with a match...

And do the same if you want to burn your house down.
Leder Gris. - Nsar
Er, you either never got the hang of blowing out the candles on your birthday cake as a child, or you're polishing your shoes with hydrogen
Leder Gris. - Alby Back
Really good way of upsetting household harmony if you blow hot melted shoe polish too hard in the kitchen !! I would be lucky to escape neutering if that got on the spam fritters and chips.

Cor - Spam fritters and Chips. Haven't been allowed that in 40 years.....Egg and chips too.....proper food........

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 23/10/2008 at 17:21

Leder Gris. - Stuartli
>>Cor - Spam fritters and Chips.>>

Had those last night (as a change from bacon grill), but with Rostis (Hash Browns)..:-)
Spam fritters - GroovyMucker
At Eden Camp, near Pickering, they have a mock-up of a wartime canteen. When we went (a couple of years ago) they had Spam Fritters, and similar wholesome food. The stews all involved dumplings.

Leder Gris. - billy25
I once experimented with the hot-spoon - melted polish method, unfortunately, i ended up with a lovely pair of shiney shoes but a "blued" finish on one of ex's best silver spoons (how was i supposed to know!). Funnily enough, that was the only spoon i ended up with when we got divorced 2 years later! talk about harbouring a grudge! ;-(

Billy
Switching utilities - cheddar
Currently with EDF dual fuel, at the end of a fixed rate period.

Have done some comprehensive price comparisions based on our annual usage and British Gas are by far the cheapest for electricity - work that one out! And N-Power are cheapest for gas so electricity from British Gas and gas from N-Power offers the best pricing, a potential saving of £280 p/a.

Though for dual fuel overall, British Gas and an EON product with a standing charge and one tier pricing for KWH used both offer a potential saving of around £240 p/a. The problem with the EON deal is that the standing charge element will mean that we dont save as much if our usage drops (which we are trying to do).

Which leaves British Gas who seem to be poorly rated for customer service.

Or to use two separate suppliers, we have two bills from EDF so no real problem there.

Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Regards.

Switching utilities - daveyjp
We have been with BG since privatisation. I moved to their dual fuel deal and this was fixed years ago. Only had to call them once and it was dealt with quickly and efficiently.

Our meters are read before every bill by the meter reader which helps reduce any potential problems. I also refuse to pay by DD - may cost me slightly more, but I prefer to be in control of bills where DD is based on an estimate.
Switching utilities - L'escargot
I also refuse to pay by DD - may cost me slightly more
but I prefer to be in control of bills where DD is based on an
estimate.

I pay everything I can by direct debit because it evens out my outgoings. My income is monthly so it's logical to have as constant a monthly outgoing as possible.
Switching utilities - Optimist
Some months ago I finally left a French owned firm fpr a British owned firm because they kept getting bills wrong and putting silly figures in for direct debits: les Francais are so up to speed they had someone round the other day to read the meter!

The Brits have sorted out one problem (of their own making) but, TBH, I'm not too impressed with them either. Essentially the business, as far as we're concerned, is only a call centre; what's so difficult to get right?
Switching utilities - BobbyG
Isn't it great how that many years ago we had the nationalised gas and electricity "boards".
They were seen to be mega inefficient so were privatised and then more and more companies joined on the bandwagon to supply our power. Also this privatisation was supposed to create a competitive market place.

Now each company has their own backup, boards, call centres, marketing, PR etc so how can this be more efficient? I am sure if any one of them had the chance, they would buy the others, centralise head office and make them much more streamlined!!!

Oh and of course, isn't it stange that there is very little to choose between them in the way of costs to the domestic household. Very competitive :)

Switching utilities - cheddar
isn't it stange that there is very little to choose between
them in the way of costs to the domestic household. Very competitive :)

Well for us electricity from British Gas and gas from N-Power would cost around £1300 where as EDF dual fuel are nearer £1600, 23% more!!
Switching utilities - Stuartli
Anyone who is, or has a partner aged 60 or over should investigate StayWarm - you pay a fixed sum per month for dual fuel supply on a rolling 12 month contract. See:

tinyurl.com/5n86nc

We currently pay £74 per month, a drop of £17 a month from the previous year's contract.
Switching utilities - daveyjp
Difference in costs between cheapest and most expensive company last year was about £50.

The problem is there is only one source of oil/gas which all the competitors buy from and all companies use one grid to transport it, so chances for wide variations are limited - staff and premises are the next highest operational costs which can be managed by the companies.

It's no different to the petrol market - lots of companies but the pump price across them all is almost the same.

Any large price differences are usually short term to attract new customers - just like car insurance. IIRC short term deals to get companies to the top of comparison site lists are being investigated.

Re: email attachment - Dog
>If/When you get clearance from the MOD's, upload it to your own webspace. Everyone has free space from their ISP.
If its big, zip it up using winzip (free download<

Thanx anyway for that NorfolkD ... Here's a gem that is suitable for adults ~ tinyurl.com/6rpyb7
Credit card late payment - audiA6tdi
Ive paid my credit card 2 days after the date it should be. Will this effect my credit score? ive got a good credit score so far!

Think il set up a DD for future payments

thanks
Credit card late payment - billy25
not sure about your credit score, but you will probably incur a "late payment fee" (on which interest is charged) of around £10!!

Billy
Credit card late payment - adverse camber
Must be a long time since you made this mistake billy.

I managed to be a day late last year and they tried to charge me £25 (reduced to £12 when I complained).
Credit card late payment - Dipstick
I got stung this month for a £12 late payment fee - because I paid too early. Sigh. The ways of credit cards are a mystery to me.
Credit card late payment - Clk Sec
I?ve been a few days late on a couple of occasions and have found that writing a polite letter is all it takes to have the charges removed.

Worth a try.

Clk Sec
Folding Bikes - Alanovich
I am thinking about getting a folding bike to sling in the boot, to be used for getting to work after dropping my children off at nursery (when the weather isn't too hideous).

My question is this: most of the models I've seen seem to have unfeasibly small wheels and only 6 gears. However, the return journey from work to my car would involve quite a steep hill and I'm not sure these types of bikes are man enough to get my out-of-condition frame up a reasonably steep hill without embarrassment/wobbling off under a passing lorry.

Does anyone have experience of these contraptions, specifically with reference to their uphill abilities?

Cheers.
Folding Bikes - oldnotbold
You get what you pay for in folding bikes. Good ones are £500.00 or more new. Search Ebay for a Brompton, upwards of £300 s/h.
Folding Bikes - billy25
if you want "folding" - if you want "bigger wheels" - if you "dont want" to worry about that "steeeep hill" - AND if you are prepared to pay (as suggested) £500 for a "good" one:

Then you need one of these! Ta-Da!!!!

tinyurl.com/57fg3a

Billy
Folding Bikes - Bromptonaut
Quite a lot of experience; I've ridden the eponymous contraption daily for nearly 10 years. As onb says you get what you pay for. All bikes are a compromise between weight, ride, performance and cost. Folders add another dimension - ease of fold and size/portability of the folded package.

The Brompton sets the standard for easy fold to a neat and easily stowable package - far and away the most popular on London's commuter routes. Don't worry too much about small wheels or "only" 6 gears. The B is designed around the wheels and one soon adapts to the slight change in riding technique. Frankly the 27 gear urban ATB is a triumph of marketing over function, five or six well chosen gears covering 30 to 80 inches meet all but the most esoteric of needs.

Dahon offer a range of well specified machines, from Brompton chasers up to so called folding MTBs. Their 20inch range offer some real performance albeit at the cost of foldability. The MTBs look quite good as well but they're still massive and cumbersome when folded - not a good idea for rush hour train travel and at least one train company has the folding MTB in it's sights for a rush hour ban.

The AtoB website www.atob.org.uk/ includes a short description and verdict on mosy models sold in the UK.
Folding Bikes - Alanovich
Thanks, Bromptonaut. I don't need to worry about trains, not intending to take it on one. It's just going to sit in the boot of my estate car.

I like the idea of this model as it has bigger wheels than normal:

tinyurl.com/5625gb

I'm not really looking for the smallest folded size, so would this look like a good option to you?
Folding Bikes - Bromptonaut
Alanovich,

Its a folder, but not as I know it. Train use was key to my requirement and I only really looked seriously at the Bromp and some of the small/medium Dahons. Having said that, for now our train company still accpets two fold MTB in peak, they seem to cope well for speed/manoueverability in London traffic and several of them are in the hands of long term users - it's both fascinating and dispiriting to see the number of people who buy a cheap folder and give up after six or eight weeks cos it's either broken or unrideable in the longer term.

If an MTB that folds in two is what you want it looks like a reasonable stab at the job - though it's a lot heavier than some of the Dahons on the same site and almost 2kg more than a Brompton. It also pretty much fills the luggage space of the Mazda(?) in the video - it ain't going in the boot of a supermini!. Would be interesting to find out who builds it for LR (or which bike company has the license for the LR badge).

I fully understand your reluctance to embrace a small wheel bike but they really are worth trying.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 23/10/2008 at 23:18

Folding Bikes - Dipstick
At last I know how Bromptonaut's name came about!
Who stocks black Contiboard? - Dulwich Estate
I am planning to build a simple shelf unit to help in housing / combining a music separates system and a new LCD TV (yes, I know - but I gave in!).

Ideally the shelf wants to be a shiny black, but satin black or even black ash type would do as a last resort. My fashion sense is always around a decade behind the majority (see LCD above) and it seems no-one around here stocks black coloured MDF / particle board or similar anymore. I could always paint a lump of plain wood but to save time I wonder which DIY chain still sells black. I've found white, cherry, oak, sapele, pine etc. etc.

The choice looks far bigger than when I last looked - But where's the black?
Who stocks black Contiboard? - Altea Ego
It can be ordered at Travis Perkins.
Who stocks black Contiboard? - L'escargot
B&Q.
Removing silver paint graffiti - Mapmaker
Graffiti on a stock brick wall, looks to be a silver paint. Some years old.

I have tried:

B&Q graffiti remover ("Removes most sorts of graffiti" composed of a degreaser with added solvent) which removed the green moss from the wall and made it show up more.

Nitromors (which I am very familiar with using and know how to use properly) - didn't touch it, despite repeated applications over a couple of hours.

Hot air gun - no effect at all (It's always difficult to use them on stonework as it's a good conductor).

Any other suggestions? What is the paint made from?
Removing silver paint graffiti - cheddar
There are as few types of Nitromors, the green tin should remove cellullose or acrylic paints.

Otherwise try cellullose thinners - carefully !

Edited by cheddar on 24/10/2008 at 10:25

Removing silver paint graffiti - Nsar
Not meant to be a smart alec reply but have you tried a jet washer?
Removing silver paint graffiti - L'escargot
....... have you tried a jet washer?

You'd probably blast out the mortar with a jet washer.
Removing silver paint graffiti - Mapmaker
>>Not meant to be a smart alec reply

No risk of that! I dare say I could sandblast it off too, but I am trying to avoid damage to the brickwork.

Just looked up cellulose thinners - that's some recipe!
Removing silver paint graffiti - David Horn
You've tried a heat gun - what about a small blowtorch?
Removing silver paint graffiti - Altea Ego
Mortar remover/brick cleaner - an acid used to get mortar stains off brickwork
Removing silver paint graffiti - Pugugly
Try a firm called "nomix" at www.nomixenviro.co.uk/index/graffiti/graffiti.html, they are real specialists, not sure whether they do retail, but their reps are very helpful.
Removing superglue - smokie
While we're on the topic of removing unwanted substances, I got in a bit of a mess with some superglue the other week, successfully sticking myself together, but not the intended object. I was panicking to get the glue off myself and hadn't realised that some had fallen on the kitchen work surface.

Any ideas how to remove a blob of hardened superglue?
Removing superglue - daveyjp
Depending on the worksurface finish a razor blade, scalpel or similar can be used to cut it off.

If the worksurface may show up damage put another blob in an area you can't see such as under the front edge and have a practice.
Removing superglue - Mapmaker
www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

Acetone. Although acetone may damage the worktop if plastic.

Incidentally, I was once told (possibly by somebody who didn't like me much...!!!) that a blob of superglue in your ear is great for going to Starwars parties, looking like Mr Spock. Apparently it undoes over the course of the evening and your ears will suddenly pop back to normal. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME...

Edited by Mapmaker on 24/10/2008 at 14:19

Removing superglue - Alby Back
Look, I know this really awful and dangerous and childish and.........well ..plain stupid.....but, I used to work closely with an R&D dept. They were a bit of a Heath Robinson crew but very innovative in their field. One of them was a merciless practical joker and the other lads decided to get him back one day. Superglue was placed on the earpiece of his telephone handset when his attention was elsewhere and someone then rang him from the next door office.........

It was.....very, very funny at the time......

Hangs head in shame......... ( wasn't me incidentally )

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 24/10/2008 at 14:26

Removing superglue - Group B
When I was at University, a friend of mine fell out with his girlfriend.
She got into his room in halls of residence and everything that was on his desk got superglued down, then she glued his trainers to the tiled floor. He was not best pleased.
Removing superglue - Big Bad Dave
"a blob of superglue in your ear is great for going to Starwars parties, looking like Mr Spock"

At the risk of making a completely pointless post (what's new?), I nevertheless think it's worth pointing out that Mr Spock wouldn't be seen at a Star Wars party. Star Trek was set in the Alpha Quadrant of this Galaxy, Star Wars was set in a Galaxy far, far away - as far as I know, the two never overlapped. Furthermore, Star Wars happened "a long time ago" whereas Star Trek happens in the 23rd - 24th century.
Removing superglue - Dulwich Estate
I have simply used hot water to good effect. How did I learn this trick? I superglued together the handle of a treasured kitchen knife - it fell apart on the third washing up. I then took a look at the label - it said not suitable for items immersed in water.
Removing superglue - deepwith
Nail varnish remover (acetone, as Mapmaker says) should do the trick but test a discreet area first! I use superglue to repair a torn fingernail to allow it to grow out without too much pain - and use nail polish remover to remove excess.
Removing superglue - smokie
The razor blade (in the shape of one of those wallpaper strippers with a blade) did the trick!

Thanks to all for advice, got me off the hook :-)
Dishwasher door problem - daveyjp
This morning went to put dishwasher on - Bosch sliline almost 5 years old. Closed door and it popped open. Checked racks were in fully and they were, but it still popped open, removed racks and same result.

On closing the door it appears the right hand vertical edge isn't closing properly. When I did get it to stay closed I started the machine and whilst it isn't leaking it is noisy, pushing on the door quietens it.

Any ideas? I'm thinking something along the lines of a dropped hinge.
Dishwasher door problem - wotspur
5 years old -done good service -an engineer to come out and check it out, £40 + parts and labour another 100 -or go and buy another machine for 300 job sorted, much better than a possible flood-if it is affordable, treat SWMBO to an early Crimbo pressie !
Dishwasher door problem - Stuartli
Buy a Miele dishwasher...:-)
Dishwasher door problem - rtj70
When I got our Siemens (i.e.Bosch) it came with a free 5 year warranty. If you get a new one perhaps they are still doing this?
Dishwasher door problem - Baskerville
Buy a Miele dishwasher...:-)

Lifespan of Miele dishwasher: maybe 15 years.
Cost £1200

Lifespan of cheapo Bosch dishwasher: 5-7 years.
Cost: £300

Now who's the clever one?
Dishwasher door problem - billy25
lifespan of a "Homark" (B&Q plastic one) 7yrs, still going strong, £109.00 >>Now who's the clever one?<< ;-)

$Billy
Dishwasher door problem - Baskerville
Homark are the new Miele.

>>Now who's the clever one?>>

There are much lower cost Miele dishwashers - just apparently plucking a price out of mid-air nullifies your argument.

See, for instance:

www.johnlewis.com/Miele/Dishwashers/Brand.aspx

tinyurl.com/5ocm86

tinyurl.com/6cutez

I've nothing against Bosch - good quality - but Miele white goods products are built to even higher standards.

Edited by Stuartli on 26/10/2008 at 20:25

To follow up your initial cost logic(!):

tinyurl.com/56jub6
Dishwasher door problem - Number_Cruncher
>>an engineer to come out and check it out, £40

£40 for an engineer! That's cheap! Although I very much doubt whether you would actually see an engineer, much more likely a mechanic, repairman, or technician.

Dishwasher door problem - L'escargot
Although I very much doubt whether you would actually
see an engineer much more likely a mechanic repairman or technician.

My employer referred to us all as "associates" ~ there was no distinction in job title.
Dishwasher door problem - mfarrow
£40 for an engineer! That's cheap! Although I very much doubt whether you would actually
see an engineer much more likely a mechanic repairman or technician.

In fairness he did say add £100 on top after the callout charge.

Reminds me of the sign on the photocopier at work. It read "Out of order. An engineer technician has been called" (the correction being hand written of course).
Dishwasher door problem - L'escargot
An engineer technician has been called" (the correction being hand written of course).

In the UK engineering industry job titles commonly depend on the employer, and may well not be an indication of the employee's qualifications.

Edited by L'escargot on 25/10/2008 at 13:15

Dishwasher door problem - Number_Cruncher
>>job titles commonly depend on the employer

Yes!, and it's usually a con, designed to help people rationalise parting with an exorbitant hourly rate. How much more can you charge if you call the machine fitter an engineer?

I know I'm probably peeing against the wind eveytime I object to the mis-use of the word engineer, but, if a few more of us did so, perhaps the public would be less confused about what an engineer actualy does.

Dishwasher door problem - Lud
I suspect NC that 'engineer' is often used as a courtesy title (so to speak), perhaps partly for the sake of the individual's self-esteem. I can assure you that it has never confused me in my normal role as a member of the public...

A bit like addressing an obvious toerag as 'Sir', calling a man Mr when he is master of nothing (not even his own comportment) or a woman Mrs when she is no one's mistress...

Edited by Lud on 25/10/2008 at 18:16

Dishwasher door problem - Pugugly
Lud - you succeed in making the most mediocre interesting !
re-setting a digital watch - Alby Back
I wonder how many digital watches have been stamped on this morning ?

My wife bought me a fancy one for my birthday this summer. It has some very clever but mainly superfluous features. Apparently it can withstand enormous shocks. It knows the time in all major cities. It keeps perfect time via a radio signal. It is a stopwatch. A multifunction alarm. A diary. It is allegedly waterproof to 200 atm and it lights up.

I was labouring under the delusion that it would also be smart enough to know when daylight saving time begins and ends. It would seem not. Of course there is a handbook but that is for people who can read stuff like that without slipping into an involuntary coma.

So, my question now, is not how do I adjust it, but in fact how do I destroy it please ? It seems to have been built to withstand all forms of assault and being solar powered could carry on annoying me in perpetuity.

Very open to suggestions as to how to bring about its demise while striving to make it look accidental for the sake of domestic harmony.
re-setting a digital watch - Armitage Shanks {p}
Good Morning HB. My radio controlled watch did the Biz this morning. I agree that the handbook is slightly longer and more complicated than the one for the BMW i Drive but in the index you should find instructions for how to force the watch to re-search for the timing signal. Mine searches for a signal at 2am every morning but sometimes does not recieve one depending on where it is spending the night! It still keeps good time but obviously not if it has missed a 1 hour time change!
re-setting a digital watch - Pugugly
Get one of the kids to do it ?

or

How about another "gardening" accident ?

Edited by Pugugly on 26/10/2008 at 10:35

re-setting a digital watch - Clk Sec
Sorry Darling, I accidentally dropped a breeze block on it !

Clk Sec
re-setting a digital watch - Alby Back
Ha !! Not sure how I did it but I found a menu setting for GMT which is where I have left it. It is reprieved for another six months. I shall spend the Winter plotting my reaction to any Spring insubordination.
Wot`s not generating heat? - oilrag
Body heat, that is.

I`m just under 11 stone, around 6`1".. 60, next month

More or less the same weight as at 18yrs actually.

(Although there was a period of just under 15 stone - when I could walk down the road in a tee shirt, melting roadside frost by radiation)

Anyway, something is not putting out the same internal heat.

What? and more to the point, is it just me?

:-)
Wot`s not generating heat? - Alby Back
Get a digital watch Oily. That'll get you hot under the collar I promise.........
I have one Humph. Has a barograph, compass, altimeter, stop watch, peeper, 5 alarms and memory function, world time. solar power.....took me thirty minutes to re-set the time this morning.

The other one, the solar powered `radio controlled` is an invalid and can`t leave the window sill due to a weak `battery`. Or something passing for that, but not speaking it`s name in the sales blurb.
Wot`s not generating heat? - Pugugly
Your ECU needs re-programming. Seriously all that extra weight was providing its own lagging I would imagine.
Anyway, I`m going to cut the grass, Its 13C here. About the minimum temperature the old two stroke lawnmower will fire up on, ( without a hundred pulls) with it`s silly `squeeze-bulb` pseudo- choke.
"Seriously all that extra weight"

It was getting critical PU ;) With my long shanks, I could only just rise unaided from the sofa.

Wot`s not generating heat? - Pugugly
I need to lose a stone and a bit.
Wot`s not generating heat? - Alby Back
My weight hasn't changed much over the years. It's just the centre of gravity which has lowered quite a bit. The muscle bulk which used to be around my upper chest and shoulders has sort of shifted to just north of my belt. At least I'm more stable in high winds now.

;-)
Standard Life Platform question please. - Petel
Can anyone out there please advise, as to how or where I can find a listing of the companies who are on the Standard Life Platform? The only one I have confirmation of is Schroder.

Have done the usual searches but have, so far, come up empty.

My IFA seems reluctant to address this question, I am wondering why?

Thank you.
pink@uwclub.net

Edited by Petel on 26/10/2008 at 14:25

Standard Life Platform question please. - Stuartli
Is this the information you require?

tinyurl.com/5s5x9u

tinyurl.com/5j2xmt

www.insidemoneytalk.com/news/sta/sta212.html

tinyurl.com/5unqm3

www.standardlife.com/products/index.html
Standard Life Platform question please. - Petel
Thank you Stuart for your time and effort. Unfortunately, these sites do no hold the infromation that I seek

Many thanks again.
Standard Life Platform question please. - Stuartli
Did you spot this link?

www.insidemoneytalk.com/news/sta/sta000.html

Perhaps the FSA can provide the details?

www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/index.shtml