What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 255 [Read only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 256 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 255. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2008 at 01:31

Which pressure washer? - JH
I want to buy a pressure washer to clean the patio. I've been a Jeyes fluid and yard brush man until now but I was recently loaned a pressure washer and was astonished at how quickly and thoroughly it stripped the moss and gunge from paving slabs and cobbles.

So, which one, from where?

I kicked myself for not buying a Halfords HP2000 at £89.99 in July (well how did I know it was a bargain?) and it's been on sale at £199.99 since but now it's £89.99. It got a good review from Auto Express even at the top price.

Or, there's Karcher of course. The one thing I've learnt there is the model numbers seem designed to defeat price comparison.

So for a budget of around £100 what do you recommend?

Thanks,
JH
Which pressure washer? - PhilW
£100? I bought one a few years ago which has been used to clean quite a large area at the back and the front block-paved drive. Also used to clean various items of garden furniture. Cost about £40 from B&Q and was exactly same as a Karcher one for double the price except B&Q one was green and Karcher was yellow.
Can't see it on B&Q website now , but there is a Bosch one for £49.99 and a MacAllister one for £44.99 - either is probably good enough for occasional patio cleaning. IMHO of course
Phil

This is the one - at Homebase
tinyurl.com/3l24k3

And here! Another one - different but good price
www.wickes.co.uk/Pressure-Washers/100Bar-Pressure-...6

Edited by PhilW on 17/10/2008 at 01:00

Which pressure washer? - JH
Thanks Phil (and all) I've no idea how many bar I need to clean a patio and it hadn't occured to me you could have too much of a good thing. I'll investigate. Thanks for pointing me at these.
JH
Which pressure washer? - FotheringtonThomas
There was one at Lidl about two months ago for £110 IIRC (Lavor Superwash 160). I had to resist the temptation like anything. These sort of things come up in that shop & Aldi a couple of times a year - I might buy one next time! Plus points: they come with kits of extras all in; they're usualy a good price; there's a 3-year guarantee. If you're not in a hurry, wait & see.
Which pressure washer? - rtj70
I got the Aldi one a couple of years ago. It came with lots of lances and is very powerful. Does a good job cleaning the patio. This year's model was slightly more powerful. I think it was bout £79.
Which pressure washer? - Dulwich Estate
Just watch where and how you're pointing the lance. I did a great job (I thought) of cleaning up a couple of plain flat concrete slabs as a test. Thankfully it was just a test.

When the water dried it showed I'd done a brilliant job of cleaning off the dirt AND the top layer of concrete revealing the aggregate beneath. They might have been cheap slabs I don't know - but watch out!
ebay "feedback". - FotheringtonThomas
I have purchased a couple of "buy it now" items, and rcvd. e-mails (& goods). E-mails rcvd. are along the lines of "Please leave feedback & we will do the same for you". I don't like this. I have paid. I should get feedback for coughing up instantly (Paypal). Retaliatory e-mails to vendors along the lines of "I have paid on the nail, item has been delivered but I am away, will give feedback when I see it, but as I have paid, please leave my feedback" result in no feedback (or further comment).

What, as an E-baying person, would you do? What can be done? Do you dislike this tendency as much as I? I am rather tempted to feedback "Neutral", citing the "leave F/B for me & I will do the same for you" sentence.
ebay "feedback". - Pugugly
I don't respond. As far as I am concerned if the seller is that insecure I'd rather let them fester.
ebay "feedback". - AlastairW
The rules have changed. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback, so feel free to say what you like.
ebay "feedback". - cheddar
The rules have changed. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback so feel free to say what you like.

Though they can leave a negative reply to your feedback albeit not effecting your feedback score.
ebay "feedback". - crunch_time
I don't really object to it. If they have provided a good service I will say so, if it's not up to my expectations then I will also say so with a Neutral or Negative as appropriate.

Most sellers send that message as a matter of course and I really can't see what there is to get uptight about.

ebay "feedback". - Mapmaker
It's feedback... you're buying items, not feedback. I don't understand why people get so upset about the feedback.

Once you receive the item, and are happy with the transaction, then you leave positive feedback. At which point you get positive feedback.

If you are unhappy with the transaction, you should contact the seller, not leave (initially) negative feedback. If you leave negative feedback without contacting the seller, then you are not a good buyer and would deserve (although it is no longer the case) negative feedback yourself. Perfectly sensible.
Once you receive the item and are happy with the transaction then you leave positive
feedback. At which point you get positive feedback.

It feels to me like some sort of blackmail. If I pay up on the nail as asked, I've done my bit 100% properly. Why should I have to wait to receive feedback from the seller? It's almost as if should I leave non-positive feedback for some reason, then they would endeavour to give me the same.
>>Whyyy???

"If you are unhappy with the transaction, you should contact the seller, not leave (initially) negative feedback. If you leave negative feedback without contacting the seller, then you are not a good buyer and would deserve (although it is no longer the case) negative feedback yourself. Perfectly sensible."

ebay "feedback". - ForumNeedsModerating
>>If I pay up on the nail as asked, I've done my bit 100% properly. Why should I have to >>wait to receive feedback from the seller?

Perhaps you're missing the point somewhat FT. This is a virtual buying/selling environment, as such the 'word of mouth' recommendation & reputation building (or not as the case may be) needs that rather formal mechanism for the concept to work for both buyers & sellers.

You'd have no problem I'm sure, with recommending a local villlage builder or shop to a friend & likewise have no problem in a local tradesperson saying you're a good, straightforward customer who pays on time - same thing really.

ebay "feedback". - Group B
If you pay promptly what have you got to worry about feedback-wise as a buyer?
If the seller has not left feedback first, they are waiting to hear whether the item has arrived safely or not. If the item is as described I always leave feedback as quickly as I can, sometimes immediately after opening it, otherwise within a day or two; so very rarely get a request to leave feedback.

If you are not happy with an item, email the seller and discuss the problem, a decent ebayer will try to sort it out. I tend to only buy from people with a lot of feedback and a good rating (generally not less than 98% +ve), so I feel I can trust them, and I've not had a problem for years that was not resolved amicably.
ebay "feedback". - BazzaBear {P}
I understand and agree with FT's point perfectly, I think others may be missing it.

Consider the buying/selling process.

In order to have been the perfect buyer, what does a buyer have to do? Simply pay up promptly. Once that has done, they have completed their duties to a high standard. Why then do they not receive their feedback at that point?

The seller on the other hand has to get the item to the buyer in good order - this happens after the buyer has completed their duties.

So, the logical order of things should be:

Buyer wins auction.
Buyer pays for item.
Seller sends item
Seller gives good feedback.
Buyer receives item in good order.
Buyer gives good feedback.

The only possible reason for the seller to delay their feedback until AFTER the buyer has given theirs is for it to hang over the buyers head as a threat of retribution. For some reason though, this has evolved into the standard way of doing things on eBay (I have not bought anything since the feedback methods changed, so this may no longer be the case).

Incidentally, I have actually fallen foul of the system as it stood. I bought a remote control which turned out to be faulty. After purchase I was warned by another eBayer that they had bought the same remote from the same seller and had to return it as faulty. "It's not listed in their previous feedback" says I. "I didn't give them any feedback, I was worried they would revenge neg me".
I'm still waiting for my money back from Paypal on the item, bought in May, as Paypal took ages at every step of the process and then turned around and told me it was too late to get my money back. In the middle of another lengthy Paypal process to complain now.
ebay "feedback". - crunch_time
The point that has (I believe) been missed so far is that a tiny percentage of buyers are less than honest and/or just plain awkward.

If you were selling, left +ve feedback straight away, and then encountered one of the above, how would you feel?

Nothing wrong with the status quo.

ebay "feedback". - Manatee
>>The only possible reason for the seller to delay their feedback until AFTER the buyer has given theirs is for it to hang over the buyers head as a threat of retribution.

That's a very paranoid view of the world. It's a lot simpler than that. Many buyers would just not bother to leave feedback, so for a seller, putting the buyer's feedback on when you have theirs maximises your more valuable feedback as a seller - which is what I want to see when I'm buying.

There must be an automatic way of doing this - several times when I've bought something and put the feedback on, the seller's feedback to me has come through immediately.
ebay - cheddar

The problem with the current system is that the seller can say ...

"prompt payer, many thanks" - positive feedback given

... you can then if justified say ...

"carp product, not as described, arrived late" - negative feedback given

... the seller can then leave a reply to your feedback saying ...

"awkward customer, wrong address supplied, did our best to help"

While this latter reply does not effect your feedback score it does skew the perceptions of anyone reading the feedback.

Edited by cheddar on 17/10/2008 at 14:33

ebay - ForumNeedsModerating
That scenario cheddar, just exemplifies the Mexican stand-off though - you can make that statement about any interaction between human beings.

An even half-intelligent buyer could read (between the lines) in the feedback ping-pong you describe - I don't think e-bay buyers are that dumb (are they?) not to be able to recognise gain-saying for the sake of it - children indulge in this - "yes it is" , "no it isn't" type of 'argument' .

If I read that hypothetical scenario above, I'd immediately think the volte-face of the seller hid something - unless it was a singular occurence amongst many good feedback reviews.

Buyer wins auction.
Buyer pays for item.
Seller sends item
Seller gives good feedback.
Buyer receives item in good order.
Buyer gives good feedback.
The only possible reason for the seller to delay their feedback until AFTER the buyer
has given theirs is for it to hang over the buyers head as a threat
of retribution.

That is exactly how I read it. I would, of course, talk to the seller before leaving -ve feedback, but I resent what I perceive as pressuring tactics.
I would, of course, talk to the seller before leaving -ve feedback

Which (in the parallel universe that is eBay) is the way you "should" do it, and so you deserve good f/b.

Another might, of course (sic) NOT talk to the seller before leaving -ve feedback. Which in the eBay universe would not be proper, and would therefore merit poor feedback.

It is, accordingly, proper and correct for the buyer to leave his feedback first. (And I have only ever sold a handful of items on eBay, but bought quite several hundred.)
Battery / Capacitor question - freddy1
not exactly computer orientated , more electronics?

one of my old m/bikes can be run without a battery , going back 50 yrs they used a 4700Up electrolytic capacitor to hold the charge from the alternator , i think this was at 63v working ,

this was a large object (then) , capacitors have shrunk now,

is there a way of increasing the value of the capacitor by fitting 2 x smaller up in series/parallel or any other way?

sorry not computers ,,,, {In which case it gets moved to the IHAQ thread instead}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/10/2008 at 17:27

Battery / Capacitor question - mfarrow
Yes, capacitors can be paralleled up to add them together (so you'll need 2x 2200µF capacitors to be roughly there at 4400µF). You can't increase their individual values by doing this though.

If you put them in series you decrease the total capacity, and the total will be the inverse of the summation of the inverses of the values.

Edited by mfarrow on 18/10/2008 at 21:21

Camera Help. - Pugugly
Just about to treat myself a new camera - A Canon EOS 450D (diesel maybe ?) - has anyone got one - I know they must be pretty good - but any user comments would be useful.
Camera Help. - Robbie
I have the 350D which is a couple of models before the 450. There isn't a huge difference: yours has more pixels and a few other minor differences.

It's an excellent camera, and you'll notice a marked difference in the quality of pictures compared with non-slr cameras. It's a tad small for getting a decent grip so I bought the battery pack that attaches to the base of the camera. This gives the camera a better feel and is much more comfortable to hold. It has the added advantage of an extra battery so allowing you to take more pics.
Camera Help. - Robbie
You might find this review helpful.

www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_rebel_x...l
Camera Help. - rtj70
Surprising how cheap some dSLRs are now. A good place for reviews and forums is www.dpreview.com.

When I got a dSLR nearly two years ago I actually plumped for the new Sony Alpha a100. Been very please with it. It has inbuilt antishake (moves the sensor) and it does make a difference. The a200 can be had for less than £300 with the same lens and I paid £500 for the a100!!! There's also the a300, a350 and a700 too. The Sony's method for "live view" on an SLR is better than most others - the mirror stays down and there's a separate smaller sensor.
Camera Help. - rtj70
Took a quick look at Jessops web site. With them you could get a deal with a Nikon D60 with two lenses and a memory card (a Nikon 18-55mm VR lens and a Sigma 55-200mm lens) for less than a Canon EOS450d with just the 18-55mm IR lens even with the £50 cash back offer.
Camera Help. - Pugugly
I actually had a look at the Nikon in Jessops yesterday - 10 MP camera and the Canon is a 12 MP and my current camera is a 5.1MP ! - I actually was temped though. Anyway got it from Amazon for 430 quid which includes a bag and 4 GB of memory and £50.00 cashback brings it in at a very reasonable £380 ! By far the best deal I could find on the net. Thanks for the input though.

Edited by Pugugly on 19/10/2008 at 16:25

Camera Help. - Stuartli
Although megapixels are important, the lens or lenses prove even more so...:-)

I have a six or seven-year-old Minolta 2MP digital camera that delivers stunning photos, even 10x8s, full of detail, thanks to a superb 3x zoom lens.

Certainly they can hold their own with prints I have using Nikon, Tamron and Ashai Pentax lenses.
Camera Help. - Baskerville
Although megapixels are important the lens or lenses prove even more so...:-)
I have a six or seven-year-old Minolta 2MP digital camera that delivers stunning photos even
10x8s full of detail thanks to a superb 3x zoom lens.

I'm no photographer but I occasionally sell photographs as a package with articles I write for magazines. Back in July I upgraded to an Olympus E410 DSLR at the run-out model price of £240. It's a great piece of kit. I especially like the fact that it's small, which means I am more likely to take it with me, but it's good enough for just about anything. However, last week I sold two pictures taken in 2002 on a 2 megapixel Panasonic LC20 compact, one of the early Panasonic compact digital cameras with a Leica lens. So the saying goes: 'Ninety-nine percent of lenses are better than one hundred percent of photographers'. Incidentally, that Panasonic cost me significantly more than the Olympus did and is still going strong in the hands of my 4 year-old daughter.
Camera Help. - Pugugly
I also have a Lumo 35mm camera - as stated previously I'm currently digitising my negative collection. I know straight away when I'm processing a film from this camera. Belying its then £20.00 price tag, it takes a beautifully rounded and warm photo that no other camera I've owned before.......maybe I'll get re-furbished........
I vaguely remember that name. Was it one of the Soviet brands?

The price of film and processing would put me off ...
Camera Help. - Pugugly
Yes- I bought it for that very reason (slightly exotic in those days Russian stuff). Wet film is going to become rather like vinyl (music) -I may take to developing my own stuff when I retire.

Edited by Pugugly on 19/10/2008 at 21:08

I have memories of developing film with my dad--one of those magic processes, like brewing or flight. It's difficult to believe it really works and yet it does.
Camera Help. - Stuartli
The Lomographic Society is still going strong - I get regular e-mails about its range of Russian cameras and film supplies. I even have one of its cheap four-lens cameras that can be used for some fun pix.

See shop.lomography.com/shop/

It's just launched a new version of the famous Lubitel twin lens reflex camera (will take both 35mm and 120 film). See:

shop.lomography.com/shop/main.php?cat=&pro=llp

Another photography question - BobbyG
I take pictures of items we are selling on ebay with a Canon Ixus camera. As most of the items we sell are smallish, I usually use take the photos in my office.
However I struggle to get the colouring / lighting good. I have just had feedback for an item we sold that it was brown in the picture but the item was black. And looking at the photo this is correct.

If I use the flash on the camera it tends to "dazzle" as the photos are quite close-up, sometimes even Macro if I am trying to highlight an engraving for instance.

Should I be looking at purchasing some sort of light that I could use to light up the subject enough to give more accurate colours? If so any recommendations (as cheap as possible)?
Would a normal plug in desk light do the job or is that too yellow a light?
Another photography question - Stuartli
For close-ups, using a reflector(s) will add some extra soft lighting (cover a piece of cardboard, for instance, with foil).

To reduce or soften the level of flash provided, you could cover the flash with translucent paper cut to the right size if it's a small digital camera unit (I used to use a handkerchief in the old days before the arrival of flashguns with a built-in translucent cover). Such methods also considerably reduce or cut out the flash output spoiling an image.
Another photography question - Pugugly
In a vain attempt to get the neo-Teutonic lifestyle promoted by a well known Scandinavian furniture shop, I once bought a desk lamp, this is horrendously bright for its intended use but angled towards a wall or ceiling nicely lights up an item for e-bay shots. I was going to flog the lamp no doubt at a premium on the auction site, but have now decided to keep it.
Another photography question - mfarrow
Pugugly's right - a good desk lamp positioned close to the subject will add some light from a different angle and counteract the intensity of the flash.
.....but no doubt I'll fall into the trap of buying a Canon product that does this job. What should I do with my old camera ? - its Fuji S5700 - proved to be a robust and cracking bit of kit - worth around £50.00 on fleabay.........seems rude to sell it for that price..
Pug - sell it on ebay for charity - I can recommend one!
I actually have had a Fuji S8000 donated which I will be putting on ebay shortly - took some photos with it and mightily impressed , especially the zoom!
Another photography question - Alby Back
Keep the old one in the glovebox. It's always when you least expect it that you see the shot you really want.
Good idea Humph - like the charity suggestion though - on balance I'll keep it, sort of attached to it now.
Another photography question - adverse camber
If you want to even the light then you have a number of options

reflect the light off another surface - like the kitchen foil suggestion - a tip is to crumple the foil and then stretch it out again, this will give a more diffuse reflection than flat foil.

Shine the light through a white screen - experiment a bit, thin cotton, plastic bag, shower curtain etc.

If you are getting colour issues that is down to the white balance - have a look and see if you can change the wb settings on the camera - you might be able to select different temperatures or colours. Failing that flourescent is whiter than ordinary light bulbs.

You can alter the colour of the light you get by using a coloured gel filter.

You could also use photoshop or whatever to reset the white balance of the image.
Another photography question - Jane
Daylight bulbs will take away the colour cast (or just change the WB setting on your camera!) created by artificial light. They will also illuminate the object in it's natural colour (think of when you go shopping for clothes and you can't work out what colour the material is...move over to a window with natural light coming in and it all becomes clear!).

Anything white (paper, cloth etc) will reflect light back onto the subject, giving it a more even tone.

Light boxes are a handy thing to have....the give a large, even light and generally come with daylight bulbs. You can get a fairly cheap one from a haberdashery type place....you'll be able to get the lightbulbs here too (people use them for needlepoint etc).

A well lit room in daylight is also a good place to take pics. A conservatory is great. A bright bathroom is great too....as long as the bath etc is white...lots of in built reflectors!

I've got a Sony DSC-T100 compact digicam that has a super macro feature. I can get as close as 1cm to the thing i'm taking a pic of and the photos look great! I'm not sure if you'd still be able to get one of these....mine's a year or so old and has probably been succeeded many times in that period. Hopefully they've kept this feature on the new ones though!
Another photography question - Mapmaker
Use a separate angled flashgun, and bounce the light off the ceiling.

Or if it's a digital, try not using the flash.

As for PU's camera, as you can apparently buy a new one for £85; a reconditioned one with guarantee for £69, I think £50 for a second-hand one is serious-good-value-for-the-seller territory.

Another photography question - SpamCan61 {P}
This Maplin light box is often on offer for a tenner in their sales :-

www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=38260

It's really matter of using a light of a single colour temperature, either daylight, or flourescent or tungsten, mixing more than one will always give problems with colour reproduction in the final photo.
Spam, that is the exact "studio" I use for taking the photos. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with any lights!

Thanks for all the other suggestions so far.
Another photography question - Stuartli
The macro feature on digital cameras is indicated by a flower symbol on the mode menu.

Some good advice about digital photography can be found at:

www.ephotozine.com/learn/articles

or photographic magazines' websites.

Edited by Stuartli on 20/10/2008 at 10:56

Getting baked-on grot off an iron frying pan - Lud
We have a heavy, everlasting iron skillet caked on the outside and the sides of the inside, only the bottom being more or less clean, with thick horrible hard greasy stuff that would take for ever to get off with steel scourers and so on. I don't fear bacterial contamination since frying temperatures kill virtually anything, just toxic remnants of washing-up liquid and so on, which people will use.

What is a good way of getting this carp off without resorting to machine tools? Will the substance called 'oven cleaner' do it and leave the thing in usable condition after much heating and throwing away of oil?
Getting baked-on grot off an iron frying pan - Alby Back
How about having a go at it with one of those pressure washer thingies ? Just make sure you get your angles of attack right or it will fight back like one of those malevolent steel urinals you get in posh wine bars.
Getting baked-on grot off an iron frying pan - Manatee
Mrs Dugong says Oven Mate (gel stuff) will shift anything. Just wear rubber gauntlets.

Edited by Manatee on 19/10/2008 at 21:52

Getting baked-on grot off an iron frying pan - Nsar
Lud, not sure what you're trying here.

Is the gunk dirt of some sort or is it simply oil and fat that has cooked to a hard black layer? If the latter then why are you trying to get rid?

A good skillet should have this layer and you should treasure it and only clean the thing with a quick wash in warm water to get food off it then quickly dry it, oil it and put it back in the cupboard.

I don't think washing up liquid is toxic by the way. It would be a bit of a design flaw if it was!

You're not going a bit well, girly on us are you?

Edited by Nsar on 19/10/2008 at 22:03

Getting baked-on grot off an iron frying pan - bathtub tom
>>Just make sure you get your angles of attack right or it will fight back like one of those malevolent steel urinals you get in posh wine bars.

Yes. We've all come out of the Gents with splash marks.
I just put my hands up, and say 'It didn't happen when I was younger'.
Getting baked-on grot off an iron frying pan - Lud
Is the gunk dirt of some sort or is it simply oil and fat that
has cooked to a hard black layer? If the latter then why are you trying
to get rid?

The bottom is all right, the sides, inside and out, are not.

Obviously washing up liquid isn't that toxic. But one is supposed to rinse detergent off things before using them. Over a period of time it isn't what you want really.

I will try that oven cleaning stuff, followed by a lot of boiling water and so on.

Oh yes, and HB: don't wear light-coloured trousers when on that sort of night out, especially if there are fluorescent lights back in the club.

Edited by Lud on 20/10/2008 at 01:12

Getting baked-on grot off an iron frying pan - deepwith
Boil up and soak in Soda - when we had twenty or so baking sheets with burned on crude we used an old twin tub washing machine with the agitator removed. Bio versions of (clothes) washing detergent will also remove quite a lot of burned on stuff.
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - stackman
I feel that my current job is coming to an end. I am full-time employed wtih a contract that states a 3 month notice period on both sides.

Being honest I could not blame my employer for sacking me, he says he doesn't want to do that but he cannot see a future in continuing my employment.

So the question is, should I resign or wait to be sacked. I'm a bit confused at the moment, and would appreciate some detatched opinions.

I don't mind working for a handover period but I don't believe either party wants that to last the whole three months.

I have to see my boss thos afternoon to discuss options. I guess I shoould wait to see what sort of termination package he offers.

To a certain extent the problems that have arisen are a result of extra duties I have been asked to perform but probably not to the extent of a constructive dismissal case.

I'm starting to ramble now so I'll throw it open to hte floor.
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - cheddar
DONT RESIGN !!! If you do you will lose rights to any redundancy payments.

If you are made redundant then your employer is obliged to honour the terms of the contract, i.e. allow you to work for the three months or simply pay you three months salary in lieu of notice.

Technically it is not you that is made redundant, it is the role that you perform so your employer cannot employ someone else in the same job after making you redundant.

Otherwise your employer can only sack you without redundancy for disciplinary reasons such you having breached the terms of the contract.

EDIT: If it is a matter of you not wanting to change the work that you do, and accordingly the terms of your contract, and it suits your employer to give someone else the job then they need to offer you a termination settlement which should in the very least be three months salary in lieu of notice.

How long have you been in the job?

Edited by cheddar on 20/10/2008 at 11:37

Cheddar, I have been in the job for 11 months. My contract was confirmed after a three month probationary period. About 3 months ago I was asked in addition to my mangement responsibilites to do some of the draughtsman's work.

To cut a long story short, trying to do both parts of the job meant that neither got done properly. Some costly mistakes resulted, now they have lost confidence in me and I am extremely unhappy in my work.

Obviously in the current climate I don't want to be out of work but I can't see a future here.
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - Mapmaker
So if you've only been there 11 months, then you have no entitlement to redundancy, and no protection from unfair dismissal. You are unlikely to get more than your contract offers.

No point hanging around being unhappy. Are you sure you cannot negotiate a new agreement with your employer?

Look for a new job. It's quite possible that this afternoon your contract will be terminated, with three months' contractual notice pay paid.

I suggest a quick telephone call to a firm of solicitors; you'll get five minutes free advice - of course they'll hope you will retain them to negotiate, but equally they'll tell you exactly what your rights and expectations will be.

Should I be entitled to the full three month's pay even if I don't work out the full notice period?

This is what confuses me.

I guess it will come down to the goodwill of the company. I will try to talk to a solicitor before this afternoon but in the meantime I would welcome all and any opinions.
>>Should I be entitled to the full three month's pay even if I don't work out the full notice period? >>

Yes definately!!!!!!

You were employed as a manager with a contract confirmed after 3 months probation, the company then asked you to cover some other duties:

Q's:

Was the contract changed and did you sign it?

Were you keen and willing or were you reluctant because you expected that it would be difficult to cover both duties?

If the latter, and you are dismissed, you may have a case against you employer, speak to a solicitor.

No, the contract was not changed and although I agreed to carry out the drawing work I did express some reservations. My contract doesn't state that I would not be required to do any drawing but it was said at the interview.

There is a general catch-all clause about carrying out other duties as may be required.

I think that if I am offered three months pay and a reasonable hand over period then I may accept it.

For future employment surely it will be better if I resign rather than being sacked.
>>For future employment surely it will be better if I resign rather than being sacked.

Well yes, but virtually nobody is ever sacked these days. And if you leave a job with no job to go to, then it will look like being "sacked" (by any other name) to any half-intelligent employer... For all that your reference will probably say "x worked here from 1.1.08 to 30.10.08; this is a standard reference given to all employees."

Cheddar: you state you are entitled to the 3 months' notice. How certain are you? I am no lawyer, and am not certain of the law concering this point - hence a recommendation to have a chat with one. But... to stick my neck out, as I understand it, within the first 12 months, an employee has no rights not to be unfairly dismissed. So, if they sack you within the first 12 months without going through appropriate procedures, then you still have no rights to claim against them. And if they sack you, I guess contractual 3 months' notice no longer apply? In any event, if he works there for another three months, he will have been there for over a year, and so he may have acquired further employment rights?

Cheddar: you state you are entitled to the 3 months' notice. How certain are you?

Not entirely though I have been there from an employers point of view.

It is not black and white, and less than 12 months employment does not help, though IMO the employer will not sack the OP because of the risk of an unfair dismissal claim (though if he did the OP should consult a solicitor re unfair dismisal). So either redundancy, in which case the entitlement to the contracted three months applies (unless a clause says after 12 months employment or similar), or a negotiated seperation would seem most likely. In the latter case the OP is agreeing to leave so the employer does not have to make the position redundant (i.e. to make it easier for the employer) so the obvious thing for the OP to do would be to hold out for the contracted 3 months notice.

>>IMO the employer will not sack the OP because of the risk of an unfair dismissal claim

But until he's been there for 12 months, he has no rights not to be unfairly dismissed (save for in certain circumstances, e.g. complaints about safety, etc).

OP cannot bring an unfair dismissal claim.

Edited by Mapmaker on 20/10/2008 at 14:38

Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - Statistical outlier
But until he's been there for 12 months he has no rights not to be
unfairly dismissed (save for in certain circumstances e.g. complaints about safety etc).

That's true I think, but there was a very relevant edition of In Business on radio 4 last night that may be relevant. The whistleblowers act has been found in case law to apply when the infringement is against individuals, including unfair changes to contractual terms. You would, by the sounds of it, be able to use this law to bring a tribunal over the additional responsibilities unfairly put upon you. There's no 1 year exclusion, and no cap on damages. You'd have to listen to the program and make up your own mind.

By the sounds of it though, you'd be best off negotiating to leave while being paid the 3 months notice. Sounds like an unpleasant situation, hope you get it sorted.
Thanks for the advice and good wishes.

I will see what they say this afternoon.
But until he's been there for 12 months he has no rights not to be
unfairly dismissed (save for in certain circumstances e.g. complaints about safety etc).

Hmm, as I say its not black and white, you are perhaps right in that within 12 months he has no rights not to be dismissed though if he is dismissed then his terms of contract apply re notice.

Not applying terms of contract would surely mean unfair dismissal because the terms of contract apply within the 12 months.

Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - oldnotbold
Clearly the best option is that you find another job, and agree to start it as soon as possible. If your current employer wants to terminate your employment then your three month contract is the starting point. You'd be nuts to accept less than your legal right in the current market, unless you are supremely confident of getting another job straight away.

There is of course the issue of references - a termination is not ideal, so you might agree what they will say when a future employer contacts them. Bear in mind that there is no legal right to a reference, so you could agree that they will simply confirm your employment dates, and no more, leaving you to explain why you left without another job to go to.

Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - billy25
May be a bit late now, but if you leave a job of your own will, i don't think you can claim any Benefits from DWP (Department Works and Pensions) for upto 6months, so whatever you do, Dont resign volintarily!!.

Billy
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - BobbyG
If he has been there 11 months, then if he is still there next month that's him been there for a year so does his rights change then?

Wonder if they do and the employer knows that and is thus wanting to finalise things before then?
Okay, so things are slightly different to how I understood them. Firstly the three months notice is one sided only, they only have to give one.

My employer considers the mistakes made while I was trying to be a manager and a draughtsman amount to gross misconduct. "... serious negligence which causes unacceptable loss."

No formal disciplinary measures have been put in place, but I have been asked to resign. They say that if I do not resign they will summarily dismiss me for gross misconduct and will receive no further pay. If I do resign they will pay me until the end of this month. I will not have to work any notice period.

I told them I would let them know in the morning.

I am a bit stunned to be honest. I have come home and broke the news to my wife but I'm not sure I have a case against them.
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - Optimist
It's all a bit short on detail but negligence implies a lack of care on your part and it's far from clear that this is what happened. If you were doing the best you could I (in my amateur view) don't see how you can be guilty of negligence or "gross misconduct".

Isn't there any warning option where you're given another chance? Or do they just want you out? Do your rights change at the end of 12 months?

You might find a no-win no-fee solicitor to advise as to the rights and wrongs or even the CAB might be able to help.

Good luck.

Edited by Optimist on 20/10/2008 at 17:16

I am sorry to hear of your predicament, you need to speak to a solicitor soonest, also a visit to your local Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good idea.

Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - Alby Back
Are you a member of a Trade Union Stackman ? If you are their legal people will give you advice. Even if you are not, contact the Union appropriate to your industry. they should at least provide you with contacts for some appropriately experienced solicitors.

In the meanwhile, get yourself along to some employment agencies. Is there temporary work available in your field or a related activity for example ?
I agree with Cheddar - you need to go to a solicitor with a copy of your contract and your employee handbook. Find one who knows about employment law, which may not be the person who does domestic/matrimonial/property.
told them I would let them know in the morning.>>

Ideally you should seek advice before deciding upon a course of action, perhaps call in the morning to say that you need another 24 hours.
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - adverse camber
You need a solicitor.

The following is my *opinion* and I am not a HR or law specialist.
If you were really guilty of serious misconduct they would have sacked you already. Mistakes/errors are not misconduct. I think they are trying to force you out at minimal cost. I do not believe that they are able in law to dismiss you without paying the salary due.
You must read your contract and handbook of employment re the disciplinary procedures. If they exist. Read your contract of employment. contact union/cab/lawyer asap as has been stated.

I dont know what has happened but I think that if I were in what I think that your circumstances are then I would be insisting on the notice period being applied. ie they pay you now for what you've done this salary period plus one month and you walk out the building.

I would not SIGN or ADMIT anything without passing it through a lawyer.

edit: my guess is that this is a smallish employer and they dont know the law?

Good Luck anyway.

Edited by adverse camber on 20/10/2008 at 17:46

While it's unlikely that you want to explain the circumstances on here, you need to look into what may be construed as gross misconduct. I Googled "gross misconduct employment" and the Michael Page information (first hit on Google) is worth reading:

www.michaelpage.co.uk/content.html?pageId=15676

Read the whole document. It won't take the place of professional legal advice, but it's a good starting point.

Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - Paul Robinson
You should take legal advice. If your employer thought it was a clear case of gross misconduct, then why would they offer to let you resign and incur the cost of a month's pay?
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - rtj70
You obviously need legal representation.

Legally they cannot make your position redundant and then recruit again (so want to fire you or reesign) but if you have mortgage payment protection and need support from the DWP then resigning will lead to a problem (i.e. no money). If you're fired and you have grounds to fight for compensation it might end up being the better option even if a month's pay down.

Good luck. Sound like you have been let down by your employer big time.
Leaving Employmnet, Jump or wait to be pushed ? - billy25
Another thing to bear in mind / check up on, is that quite alot of insurance policies require you to be "working" at the time of a claim or within so many weeks (16 i think). I fell foul of this "trap" when i finished work through ill-health, and tried to claim on my mortgage protection policy. Stupidly, I continued paying my mortgage (for 2 years) out of my Savings, until they went, then tried to claim on my policy, although i had kept my installments up to date, they refused to pay up because i hadn't worked in the u.k for 16? weeks prior claiming.

Billy
Thanks for the flurry of answers. I am overwhelmed by your kind support and knowledge.

I will make an appointment with a solicitor in the morning. It's not as if I didn't try to make the job work, I put in lots of overtime and told my bosses I was struggling to keep up with the new demands of the job.

There have been no disciplinary procedures implemented or warnings issued.

I guess all I have to lose by forcing them to dismiss me is two weeks wages, as they will pay me up until today and their offer was to pay until the end of this month if i resigned.

Again, thanks for all your input. What a wise old bunch you are ! ( Figure of spech, not meaning to suggest that you are old !)
Ouch. Poor you. Not a nice place to be. On the plus side you won't have to turn up again to a bunch of so-and-sos who don't appreciate you and overwork you.

Initially, I thought you need to talk to a solicitor. However I am not so sure.

They have effectively offered you two weeks' pay in exchange for resigning now. Your contract would give you one month's pay in exchange for termination - which they are within their rights to do (you have only been there 11 months).

They allege gross misconduct, under which circumstances they are entitled to kick you out with no pay.

If it is not gross misconduct, they are entitled to kick you out with one month's pay. Remember you have no protection against unfair dismissal as you have only been there for 11 months.

Whether or not it is gross misconduct is likely to cost a lot of court time to decide. = money. A big City employer would automatically cave in to a solicitor's letter. I doubt this lot would.

Find out what your reference from them will say. "X worked here from 1.1.08 to 31.10.08." would be ideal...

Personally, (other issues notwithstanding) I'd take the two weeks' wages on offer, as suing them for breach of contract for the rest of your month's notice is scarcely worth the cost of the solicitor - nor the worry, nor time. I don't know what the benefits implications of this would be (sacked v resigned).

Beware spending a lot of (or indeed any) money on a solicitor.
Beware spending a lot of (or indeed any) money on a solicitor.

CAB could be a good first point of call.
Remember you have no protection against unfair dismissal as you have only been
there for 11 months.

However not applying terms of contract would surely mean unfair dismissal because the terms of contract apply within the 12 months, depends how the contract is worded.
Cost of a London taxi ride? - Group B
A bit of advice about the above would be most welcome.

Can anyone advise on the likely cost of a taxi from St Pancras to a hotel at East India dock, at approx. 9:30pm on a weekday?
My other half has got to do this journey and thinks a taxi will be preferable to the 2x tube journeys, DLR journey then walking at that time of night.
But, she is not sure if/how much she can claim on expenses so wants to be forearmed with a likely cost before she makes a decision.

Looking on a couple of websites indicates its a 7.5 mile drive by road, and a London taxi website seems to say over 6 miles could cost £30-£40?

My thought was she could do a single tube journey as close as possible then get a taxi from there. eg. Hammersmith and City line Kings Cross to Bow Road, then get a taxi from there?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Rich
Cost of a London taxi ride? - Mapmaker
How much? A painful sum - easily the money you mention.

You should pick up a cab in ten minutes on the Bow Road. If she stands outside the station at Bow Road, then she would be picking up a cab returning into town - more likely to be empty than a cab heading in the other direction.

Or, could interchange at Bow onto the DLR - it's about five minutes walk, tops. DLR likely to be pretty quiet at that time of the evening though and no idea about finding a cab at East India Docks.

Or, order a cab in advance to collect from Bow Road from Ace Cars www.acecarslondonltd.com/ who will send a seven-year-old Honda. I've used them many times and they are efficient, reliable.
Cost of a London taxi ride? - Group B
Thats great Mapmaker thanks for the info. The Ace Cars option sounds good, I will discuss it with her.

Cheers,

Rich.
Cost of a London taxi ride? - daveyjp
Cost probably isn't far off. Just returned from London and a black cab from London Bridge to Mayfair was £20. Being stuck in traffic doesn't help and London traffic is busy all the time. We were in a long queue at Great George Street on the approach to Parliament Square on the return journey and this was at 1am!
Experience of PPI ?? - Petel
Could anyone out there having experience of canceling an existing Payment Protection Insurance policy, please offer advice?

Chap at work has heard about the miss-selling furore and is enquiring of me ( my having no loans of any kind and so, no experience of these matters ) as to what would be the pitfalls of trying to cancel a PPI which, he claims, was forced on him by the loan provider as a condition of said loan being granted.

I have directed him to the Money Saving Expert website, where there is much explaination of these matters and " templates " for letters required but would welcome any advice, based on first hand experience, which might be available.

If anyone could advise as to what the situation might be , as to re-claiming PPI from previous, now paid off loans, from the recent past, he would also be most grateful.

Many thanks.
email attachment - Dog
This isnt really computer related ... I've got a car-themed powerpoint, its does have some memebers of the opposite persuasion in it, but nothing you wouldn't see in a certain popular tadloid on a 'sun'ny day ... is there a hosting site (or whatever) where I could stick it & then post the url here (for ugly to boot it orf :) ?
email attachment - Pugugly
e-mail to mods first !
email attachment - NorfolkDriver
If/When you get clearance from the MOD's, upload it to your own webspace. Everyone has free space from their ISP.

If its big, zip it up using winzip (free download).

email attachment - rtj70
"some memebers of the opposite persuasion"

So if you're male assume they are too :-)

email attachment - adverse camber
e-mail to mods first !

Does Mrs P know that you're soliciting first look at these pics?
(what's the smiley for 'innocent question'?)
email attachment - Alby Back
I believe he's a funny age AC. It'll pass.
email attachment - Pugugly
She left me playing with my new camera and came back to me viewing Dog's powerpoint - 'nuff said I think.