What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 253 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 254 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 253. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/10/2008 at 21:09

New York, New York - Lud
I have just remembered Adam's pie-guzzling reputation. The food is very good in New York as over most of the US (proper hamburgers, not Wimpy carp) and comes in decent portions unless you wander into a fashionable place in which case you will have to eat a lettuce leaf, half a radish and a couple of blades of grass, washed down with a litre or two of distilled water at $7.25 per 25cl glass.

Find a decent Jewish delicatessen and try the hot pastrami sandwiches. You won't be disappointed. Pastrami comes cold over here but they eat it hot in New York. Bit of mustard, some latkes, terrific. Can't give you any names but guidance will be available on the spot.
New York, New York - Big Bad Dave
Carnegie Deli
New York, New York - Group B
The programme on tonight might be worth a watch. Griff Rhys Jones in New York, ITV1 at 9pm.

New York, New York - Nsar
Seconded. A ruben from the Carnegie Deli is a life affirming experience.

New York, New York - Adam {P}
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in posting - been mad busy with work. Thank you very much for everyone's advice. Sounds like it's a fantastic place....the food especially! ;)

If anyone has anything else to chip in, please feel free. Email me whenever you get a spare 5 minutes Dave - it'd be appreciated.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Quite looking forward to it now!

Adam
New York, New York - BazzaBear {P}
I found the food to be excellent, plentiful, and massively cheap compared to here.

Bubba Gumps on Times Square was very nice (try the blueberry smoothie, it's gorgeous) and came to about £15 each for three courses and drinks.

If you can be bothered to go that far out of the centre, there's a little Italian on the upper west side called Pomodoro Rosso. Had an 18oz T-Bone steak there and it was fantastic. Another of our party had a lobster dish. Came to £18 each with three courses and drinks again!

I wanted to tell you about the best muffin shop in the world too, but can't remember exactly where it was. Bleeker street rings a bell.

I make no apologies for my guide to New York being entirely based on the food - it's the main reason I want to go back there!
New York, New York - Adam {P}
Hi BB - long time no speak!

All these places to eat are adding up - I'll have a great time!

Make no apologies for your post being food oriented; I'm not quite sure if you know this but I'm quite partial to food. I often have dreams about a nice steak or cheesecake....actually, pretty much anything. I actually go to bed looking forward to breakfast.

But anyway...it does sound cheap. Distance isn't a problem as we're going with the intention of seeing as much as we can and doing as much as we can...and most likely spending as much as we can (and more). But I feel a lot better knowing my appetite will be satiated (albeit temporarily) for £18.

Thanks for your pointers... try to think of the name of that muffin shop!

Adam
Got it!

Magnolia Bakery - 401 Bleeker street.

If you can get hold of a Zagat guide, they're excellent (comprehensive restaurant and bar guide book). I'd never heard of it before, there just happened to be one in our apartment, but it was invaluable. Not sure where you go about getting one of your own from.

Should also have said - I think the exchange rate was better when I went, so you won't get quite such a bargain, but still definitely cheaper than here I would think. And the only place we went where the food wasn't delicious was the canteen on Ellis Island.

Edited by BazzaBear {P} on 09/10/2008 at 14:50

This is starting to get ridiculous, but there's a bakery which does cookies which are even nicer than the nice muffins.

Levain Bakery, 167 West 74th St New York.

If you go to the natural history museum, it's just a short walk away, going west away from Central Park.

Also if you walk around the lakes in central park there are some superb views of the manhattan skyline across the water.

Before you can go, watch as many New York based films as you can, because it's always a kick realising you're somewhere you've seen in a movie. We're pretty sure we spotted the 'Zuul' building from Ghostbusters, and let's face it - it doesn't get much better than that!
New York, New York - daveyjp
Adam, if you are (or look) under 30 carry ID and keep it handy.

My experience in Chicago was every bar checks the ID of anyone not looking well over 30 before entering and then they ask for it again before being served.

My old style UK driving licence raised a few eyebrows, but I was OK.

Any major sporting event is also worth a day out - we went to baseball (March is too early) and it was 'awesome'. Any event I can go to and not have to get up to buy a beer, hotdogs, peanuts, sweets etc etc is good for me!

New York, New York - Group B
Good point about ID; I dont think I was ever asked in New York when I was in my 20's but better to be safe than sorry. (Unlike Boston where I got asked when I was 32!, I think some states are a lot stricter than others).

ISTR being in a hotel room which had a complimentary copy of the Zagat guide. If your hotel has internet access there is a website: www.zagat.com/

Ive been trying to remember the names of a couple of good bars, but its a bit hazy. There was a non-touristy one not too far from Times Square where I said I was from Sheffield and got a free pint of bitter because the barman said his ancestors came from Yorkshire.
Government bank rescue plan - cheddar
Hmm,

Support should be given to families and businesses that are struggling with mortgages and commercial loans thus both supporting the economy, the housing market, jobs AND the banks by helping to ensure that loans continue to be repaid.

And what recompense will shareholders in Bradford & Bingley get for the fact that the value of shareholdings in Abbey, Lloyds, Barclays et al are being supported by the government?

Altogther not very equitable !

Edited by cheddar on 08/10/2008 at 09:16

Government bank rescue plan - Happy Blue!
Cheddar, I agree completely. The system is being 'fixed' from the top down when a far better and cheaper solution will be from the bottom up. If UK lenders know that the government is supporting homeowners and small business loans then they can continue knowing that they will not be faced with repossession.
Government bank rescue plan - adverse camber
Why should my taxes be used to subsidise those who have taken out loans that they can't afford?
equitable

That was a whole different can of worms.
Government bank rescue plan - daveyjp
Adverse - a selfish view and it's not only down to people who can't afford to repay loans - confidence in the whole market place has disappeared. If this wasn't done EVERYONE would be affected, including you. Look at some of the comments from those who may have lost thousands due to the Icelandic bank going belly up - this could have happened to any of our big banks within a few days - two lost 50% of their market value yesterday alone, any lower and shares would have had to be suspended leading to a run on the bank.

I was with a someone yesterday who was almost in tears as he spoke to me. He's ran a business for over 20 years, never going to be Richard Branson, but working for himself is what he likes and he's good at what he does. A man with a business rather than a business man.

Never missed a payment on anything, but he's been sucked in due to two main cusotmers withdrawing work. Unit is rented off the local Council who have agreed to defer rent for 1-2 quarters, a small Govt backed loan could see him OK again within 12 months.

As it is if things don't change he'll lose absolutely everything and end up living off the state. You and me will end up paying anyway.

Edited by daveyjp on 08/10/2008 at 09:51

Government bank rescue plan - Armitage Shanks {p}
Some poor soul on TV yesterday, his bank, which I will refrain from naming, has put up the interest rate on his business loan/overdraft from 12% to 16% and this in a week when the main bank rate is likely to fall by .5%. Despicabe!

However, cedit can still be easily be obtained for frivolous and unimportant financial dealings. I went into a large travel agent yesterday to obtain one of their credit cards. After 5 minutes having some personal details put into their computer I was given, within 60 seconds of the agent pressing "Submit", a card with a £10,000 credit limit!
Government bank rescue plan - Mapmaker
>>Look at some of the comments from those who may have lost thousands due to the
>>Icelandic bank going belly up

They were happy enough to accept interest on their bank accounts of in excess of 7%. Why did they think Icesave was being so "generous"? There's no such thing as money-for-nothing. Never has been. Never will be.

>>a small Govt backed loan could see him OK again within 12 months.

So he's been running a business for 20 years, and hasn't thought to save any money in order to see him through possible bad times?

>>"A man with a business rather than a business man."

Clearly. Why should the Government invest in that sort of a business with somebody who is self-confessedly financially naive? The odds of the loan's being repaid...?

>>The odds of the loan's being repaid...?>>

Well he has stayed in business for 20 years and it could probably be secured.

I think the markets are presenting their opinion, FTSE down 7% as of 09:15, Barclays down 17%.

Edited by cheddar on 08/10/2008 at 10:17

>>I think the markets are presenting their opinion,

HBOS up 17%, quite!
>>I think the markets are presenting their opinion
HBOS up 17% quite!

HBOS is a fraction of what it was a month ago, its rise today will be because of the gov investment making the Lloyds take over more likely.

Edited by cheddar on 08/10/2008 at 10:50

>>its rise today will be because of the gov investment making the Lloyds take over more likely.

Or, actually, possibly less likely. It might well be able to stand on its own two feet now.

Or actually possibly less likely. It might well be able to stand on its own
two feet now.

It seems that the BBC's Robert Peston might agree with you:

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston

I think the truth is in the middle, the HBOS share price rise is because the banking sector per se is more secure today though while sector value is still an issue due to needing capitalisation HBOS had already taken a much bigger hit than the others.
Government bank rescue plan - jbif
HBOS up 17%, quite!

And rising fast.

To avoid problems of anti-competitive claims, Brown-Darling's bail out is forcing Banks that don't need the money to take part.
For example, HSBC has a lot of funds deposited with it by Chinese savers is very solidly capitalised. Its share price was about 900p a year ago and is about 900p this month.
In contrast the other UK banks have lost value in leaps and bounds over the year.

RBoS thought it had out-manoeuvred Barclays last year when it out-bid them to take over ABN-Amro.
The irony is that LLoyds was quite solid until it was persuaded to take over Halifax-BOS which is tainted by toxic UK mortgage loans.
Similarly Barclays was fine until taking over Lehman Brothers tainted assets.

The worry is that all this intervention by the UK Govt and Bank of England will leave them having to borrow from the Chinese, and the Chinese have no more left to lend. If/when the Chinese savers start a run on HSBC in China and Hong-Kong, that is when the UK will be faced with the same fate as Iceland.

Government bank rescue plan - daveyjp
I've dealt with similar small businesses for most of my working life.

In reality most of them are no more than hand to mouth operations making very slim profits.

When times are good cash goes to clear debts built up when the times are bad, or they are putting cash into the business to make it more successful- they don't squirrel it away as that won't help the business grow. Small business owners aren't interested in just money, they are interested in running a business.

In 2001 when he moved to a larger unit he took on two members of staff who were unemployed - so that saved you and me some cash - and invested in more modern machinery - exaclty the right thing to do at the time.
Government bank rescue plan - Baskerville
Clearly. Why should the Government invest in that sort of a business with somebody who
is self-confessedly financially naive? The odds of the loan's being repaid...?

I think this is what a lot of people fail to understand about the world of 'business': most small businesses are not high finance operations or 'Dragons' Den'-style innovators looking to make a quick 10 million and nor should they be. Many people with businesses are not trying to make huge profits or get rich, but simply make a living. It's no different really from going out to a 9-5 job, only the risks are higher; these people choose to do it this way because it suits them to work for themselves rather than for someone else and because there is no other way for them to get to do the work they are good at. They are the small-scale craftsmen and bespoke fabricators and niche creative folk. The money--as long as they do ok--is really secondary in their decision and when they stop working the business will fold.

Maybe this guy has personal savings, or maybe, like most people, he's just been earning enough to get by. Maybe he stuck with it too long, hoping it would provide something for the future--investing his time rather than his money--and then it was too late to get out and do something else. Unlike an employee he won't get redundancy pay or any kind of compensation if his business fails because he took all the risk himself. People like that are essential to any economy because they make and create things that could not be created any other way--bigger, less 'naive' businesses would call them uneconomic. Being mean about it really isn't fair. In any case, it seems to me that the most glaring and disastrous case of financial naivety we've seen recently hasn't been at the bottom of the business pile, but at the very top, where the compensation is going.

I agree with you about the Icesave--you make choices and take risks and have to take the consequences--but this comment is just nasty.
... most small businesses are not high finance operations ..

Indeed. Most of them are not "businesses" at all but are similar to the subsistence farmers you find in the 3rd world. Their aim is just to earn enough to survive another day.
.. disastrous case of financial naivety we've seen recently ..

I think the naivety has been the belief in the Western economy that:
1. it is fine to spend, spend, spend and borrow, borrow, borrow.
2. house prices keep rising exponentially.
3. the concept of boom and bust was single handedly exterminated by Gordon Brown.

Regarding point 1, we see evidence of that in this forum now and again when backroomers
either - seek advice on buying cars on finance
and/or - ignore advice on buying a cheaper used car which would meet all their needs by a long way.

p.s.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/3156...l

Edited by jbif on 08/10/2008 at 11:28

Government bank rescue plan - Statistical outlier
A quick note from someone that is involved in a Dragon?s Den style investor backed business.

We?re not all in it for a quick buck, although obviously we hope to make some significant money out of it eventually. My company (won?t say names for obvious reasons) is developing a cancer related medical product that has potential to save many lives and save hospitals a lot of money. It?s a high tech, high development cost item, and we?ve raised well over a million in backing to help us develop it.

Given the way we operate, our cash burn far exceeds our income (for the moment). As we raise money in tranches (seriously hard work at the best of times, believe me) we have large amounts of cash to put somewhere ?safe? from time to time.

We had (have?) a significant six figure sum deposited in Kaupthing for safekeeping. A decent interest rate adds to the length of time we can develop things before having to go back to investors, and the investment seemed safe: the Icelandic banks were well capitalised and completely safe, or so we thought.

As of today we have no idea where we stand. The money was locked in for another month (the price you pay for decent interest). Even when we were worried at the beginning of the week and checked, there was no way of withdrawing no matter what penalties we paid. That?s the deal. Fair enough.

Now, we have no idea where we stand. If we lose the money then it?s all over ? we?ll go bust immediately to try and return as much cash as possible to our investors (and that includes hundreds of thousands of our personal cash and that of our families - all my savings have gone into the project). It?s not clear if the money is protected, if we might get £50k back, or if it?s all gone. Nobody seems to know, but it doesn?t look good.

What?s my point? Well, not sure really. I don?t think you had to be naive to fail to realise the scale of the approaching storm, and I don?t think it was just the greedy that got caught out. Two weeks ago all three Icelandic banks failing would have seemed almost impossible. Putting the money in there wasn?t greed, it seemed like a rational way of protecting the cash and making meaningfully large sums on interest to extend our lifetime. Well, hindsight is 20:20 isn?t it?
Now, we have no idea where we stand.

GM - are you covered by this?
www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_102_08.htm
it seemed like a rational way of protecting the cash and making meaningfully large sums on interest to extend our lifetime

I sympathise, but also note that ever since the collapse of Christmas Savings club Farepak, but especially since Northern Rock, most money saving advice websites have generally carried a warning about the limit of your protection under different banks.

jbif,

Thanks, but sadly not. That is the UK retail arm of the bank, we were with Kaupthing proper and had made a wholesale deposit, but our turnover is less than £1M so we qualify for the same protection as a private saver. It is very unclear how we will be treated.

Ironically we went for this because it looked safer than UK banks - the liquidity situation looked rather good until very recently. I was much more worried about our short term funds in RBS! You live and learn.
jbif, it appears that I said no to your query too soon. We have just had it confirmed by the FSCS that we will be reimbursed in full. The type of deposit has been ruled not to matter - we are small enough to be covered as a retail depositor.

I cannot tell you how relieved I am. Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and rest assured, we will be spreading our money around the UK banking system from now on.

G
Great news G !
Gordon M.

Commiserations, that's a grim place to be and I hope you can work something out.

Over the last few years I have had some professional dealings with a company (a plc) that lost support from its bankers this summer. I doubt it was the only one, but for those involved it was pretty clear even in June/July that HBOS had a problem and that it wasn't alone. This wasn't a matter of insolvency either, but operating funds. That company has survived in a new, slimmer form, but the signs of this have been around for a while.

The problem is that nobody--not the banks, not the financial journalists, not company directors, and certainly not me--were willing at the time to suggest publicly that a major bank was in trouble. As a result I expect there are many people in your position. In the months leading up to this crisis there must have been a lot of people keeping some very big secrets, or at least not saying what they thought. In a sense that's also a failure of the market. With perfect market knowledge we'd have had a run on the banks a year ago.
Government bank rescue plan - adverse camber
Davey

I would rather the government put my money into providing secured loans to increase liquidity than give it to people who can't pay the mortgage.

That might not make me popular, but the continual propping up of the over inflated property market is one of the reasons for this mess.

Too many people and businesses have been living on the never-never for too long.

Edited by adverse camber on 08/10/2008 at 14:42

Government bank rescue plan - L'escargot
Support should be given to families ......... that are struggling with mortgages .......

Mortgage rates these days are comparatively low. I can remember paying 14% in the 1970s, and I think some people payed as much as 15%. We just accepted that it was the going rate at the time. tinyurl.com/3ft92b

Edited by L'escargot on 08/10/2008 at 10:31

Government bank rescue plan - nick62
A hypothetical scenario:

As a business (v.small private limited company), we have no protection of any of our bank deposits (unlike individuals who have the £50,000 guarantee).

Say we have a loan for £30,000 and we have £15,000 in a deposit account with the same bank, (very unlikely I know, but it could happen). The bank goes bust and we "loose" the £15,000. This would not be offset against the loan and we would still owe the liquidators the original £30,000 we borrowed!

Work that one out!
Nick, if you turn over less than £1M you have the same £50k protection as a private saver.
Government bank rescue plan - nick62
Nick if you turn over less than £1M you have the same £50k protection as
a private saver.

Thanks GM. Do you know where I can get official info. regarding this? My accountant was not aware of any protection when I spoke with him a month or so ago, but times are changing pretty quickly!
Nick,

I'm surprised your accountant didn't know about this, given its potential importance. the protection is quoted by Martin Lewis at tinyurl.com/yr6r8o but for absolute confirmation you would need to check with the FSA.
Government bank rescue plan - L'escargot
How come all of a sudden the financial experts know what the banks have done wrong. If they'd expressed their opinions a few years ago perhaps we wouldn't have the crisis that we now have.
Hindsight is 20:20. Seriously, I'd be a millionaire by now if I knew what I know now 2 years ago. And I don't mean market movements, I just mean that once you know the effect, then the wisdom (or not) of the cause is very obvious.
How come all of a sudden the financial experts know what the banks have done
wrong. If they'd expressed their opinions a few years ago perhaps we wouldn't have the
crisis that we now have.

The problem is that anyone with any authority knows that they could cause panic by saying the wrong thing. Many company directors--just like buy to let landlords and 'I can't believe this is happening, it's so unfair!' five times salary homeowners--were too busy thinking about the money they would make to think too hard about the risks. Paul Mason on Newsnight has been going on about the Credit Default Swap market for at least a year. That's unwinding now as well. And let's face it, around the time of Northern Rock this time last year, the banks stopped lending money to one another. At that point they knew the game was up and all they could do was cross their fingers.
I am sorry to hear of Gordon M's plight and cant offer any worthwhile advise at present though if anyone needs cheering up then Bird & Fortune are worth a listen:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7659334.stm

The last line being most apt!
Cold Calls - audiA6tdi
After being in the car trade for nearly 4 years ive come back into IT now. Previously i was in IT technical support , now im doing IT sales.
Im out on the road and also have to make a great deal of cold calls. Has anyone got any advice to make appointments via cold calling.
After selling cars and having people come into the showroom wanting to buy a car it's quite a different change having to make calls and appintments.
Any advice greatly received.

Thanks, David

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/10/2008 at 11:49

Cold Calls - bathtub tom
>>Any advice greatly received.

Don't call me! I'm registered with the Telephone Preference Service. ;>)
Cold Calls - adverse camber
Why are you cold calling - are you not given pre-qualified lists? What are you selling? IT sales could be anything from PC's to outsourcing.

Have you had any sales training?
Cold Calls - audiA6tdi
ive had not specfic cold calling sales training. Im selling outsourcing IT solutions.
Very few qualified leads come through, its mainly getting the leads myself.
There is a database of companies called in the past with contact names etc.
Im finding it quite tough though.
thanks

Edited by audiA6tdi on 08/10/2008 at 15:19

Cold Calls - nick62
Didn't you think of this before you accepted the job?
Cold Calls - L'escargot
Any advice greatly received.

My advice (or plea) is ~ don't do it!

Our District Council has just written an article entitled "No cold calling please!" in their quarterly magazine. It starts off saying "Cold calling can be a frightening experience for anyone living on their own." Further on it says "Residents of one village has been working with the District Council, Trading Standards, and Police to set up a No Cold Calling Zone in their area. Already 75% of people in the village have agreed to take part."

That shows how much the practice is disliked.
motorola razr query - borasport20
One week in four, I'm on call. In order to avoid carrying 2 phones around the first thing I do is redirect the on-call phone to mine, and every time I do this, I have to key in my phone number - there seems no way of getting my number from the phone book that anybody can tell me. Quite a pain, especially as I can never remember my mobile number.
Anybody in the BR know any better ?
motorola razr query - jbif
... especially as I can never remember my mobile number.

I have three phones, and each one has its number stored in the chip memory under the name "This chip".

motorola razr query - Armitage Shanks {p}
You can get it by dialling (free) *#100# You can also get the IMEI number (the one you need to get the phone blocked if stolen) by dialling *#06#, on most phones
A Question of Grammar - Armitage Shanks {p}
I know that there may be a difference between what I was taught a very long time ago and what is now accepted as normal useage. When discussing a group of people rescued from a mountain, say, which is correct?

1. A group of survivors WAS brought off the mountain
or
2. A group of survivors WERE brought off the mountan

My thinking is that group is singular so WAS is correct but I see so many uses of WERE in this context I wonder if the rules have changed or are writers of newspapers and news bulletins just sloppy?
A Question of Grammar - bathtub tom
Don't get me started on people who pronounce the eighth letter of the alphabet as 'haitch'. We had it drummed into us at school: 'There's only one aitch in aitch'.

And another thing:
I've noticed an alarming tendency for even BBC announcers to proclaim 'an historic event'.
A Question of Grammar - Baskerville
'An historical event' is absolutely old-school correct. One stays in an hotel too. The 'h' is not aspirated in these cases, so the vowel is what counts.
A Question of Grammar - cheddar
>>My thinking is that group is singular so WAS is correct but I see so many uses of WERE in this context >>
>>

However the word "survivors" is plural so I would say that "were" is correct. I.e:

A group WAS brought off the mountain
or
A group of survivors WERE brought off the mountain

Edited by cheddar on 09/10/2008 at 10:06

Cheddar that makes sense. Here is a supplementary question! Large groups of people but gathered under a collective title (The BBC, The Crowd, The Council, The Army) - are they singular or plural? My original queston arose from a sports report in today's DT in which a reporter wrote "The BBC ARE insulated from financal impact - - - -" and I think the BBC IS insulated from - - -. as it is a single entity consisting of many people. I do think you your answer is correct I hasten to add, as it refers both to a singular and multiple word(goup and survivors)! I must go to the library and get a grammar book out!
>>Here is a supplementary question ... (The BBC, The Crowd, The Council, The Army) >>

Strictly these would be "is", "The BBC is to announce", "The Army is withdrawing", likewise a corporate body "Honda is to launch", "Barclays is launching".

However in PR speak it is common to to you "are" because it is thought that it makes the sentance more friendly: "Barclays are launching a new range of mortgage products".
A Question of Grammar - Mapmaker
Aha. Refer to Simon Heffer's style guide for the Telegraph - which I doubt has been followed in this instance.

COLLECTIVE NOUNS: These are usually singular, but there are many reasons not to impose a rigid rule. Sport provides many examples (England were all out for 50). Let common sense rule (The Government was in trouble; the Cabinet took their places in a sombre mood). Aim for consistency in similar references throughout a story, but this does not mean that different collective nouns cannot be treated in different ways within a story.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1435292/Telegraph-Style-B...l

However the word "survivors" is plural so I would say that "were" is correct. I.e:
or

No, Cheddar, that is wrong. It is still the group that IS brought off the mountain. The group is the subject of the sentence - you can put the survivors into brackets. A group (of survivors) was brought off the mountain. A pink group was brought off the mountain. A group of arm-waving, bad-smelling zebras, sheep and goat-herds was brought off the mountain. It doesn't matter how far apart in the sentence the subject (group) and the verb (was) are; they still have to agree.

But see below for this is correct: "A group of survivors were unable to agree on the best way down the mountain."

And an hotel is an historical anachronism. Pre-war, correct (and pronounce in RP without an "h"); now, archaic.

Edited by Mapmaker on 09/10/2008 at 11:04

No Cheddar that is wrong. >>

You might be right M, strictly speaking, not going to argue.

The survivors WERE brought off the mountain

A group of survivors WAS brought off the mountain
OR

Hmm
A Question of Grammar - mfarrow
A group of survivors WAS brought off the mountain
OR

You have to think about it in neutral (or whatever it's called) context:

A group of survivors IS BEING brought off the mountain
NOT
A group of survivors ARE BEING brought off the mountain.

Clearly the former sounds more correct.
OK I was going to edit this but for some reason it wouldn't let me. What I was going to say was:

'Unless you are objecting to 'historic', in which case that's a matter of semantics, not grammar as such.'
I'll agree with 'an hotel', because the word is french, and if pronounced the french way as 'otel it is arguably correct.

I cannot agree that the 'h' in historical event isn't aspirated, unless, like me, you're from Luton where they drop their 'h' and 't's, and used to make those things you wear on your head called 'a's. ;>)
I'll agree with 'an hotel' because the word is french and if pronounced the french
way as 'otel it is arguably correct.

The English word 'history' entered the language from French as well. I suspect this is an either or case and given the etymology it's likely that 'a history' is actually more recent than 'an history'.
A Question of Grammar - tyro
Don't get me started on people who pronounce the eighth letter of the alphabet as
'haitch'. We had it drummed into us at school: 'There's only one aitch in aitch'.

It depends on where you went to school. In the Republic of Ireland, 'haitch' is pretty standard.

And in Scotland, the 10th letter of the alphabet of the alphabet is often pronounced 'jie' to rhyme with the 9th.
A Question of Grammar - drbe
'an historic event'.

I believe - and am prepared to be corrected - that it is because English is derived from Latin and the letter 'H' does not appear in Latin or Italian.

The phrase is spoken as if the letter h was not there.

My personal bete noir is pronouncing words ending in -----thing, as ------think, i.e. anythink, somethink etc.

I am sir,

Yours etc

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
>>English is derived from Latin and the letter 'H' does not appear in Latin or Italian.
The phrase is spoken as if the letter h was not there.

Would I therefore leave an house,on an horse with an hat on?

Edit: Sorry it doesn't make it clear which is wearing the hat ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom on 09/10/2008 at 21:12

'House', 'Horse'--Germanic/Scandinavian.
A Question of Grammar - Nsar
The letter 'h' does appear in Latin.

Only this week I was reading in my son's text book that Caecilius est in horto, where he has been lurking since I first read that sentence about *ahem* years ago.
This is the point though: it is to do with pronunciation and in French, where most of these words come from in English (Latin being a more distant ancestor) the 'h' is not aspirated. Fowler's Modern English Usage, incidentally, gives 'a hotel' as the more modern form and calls 'an hotel' pedantic. This explains the Radio 4 connection.
A Question of Grammar - L'escargot
My thinking is that group is singular so WAS is correct ..........

I agree with your reasoning. The standard of English teaching in schools has clearly fallen since we were at school. I could hardly believe the poor English on my grand-daughter's recent school report.
I was once told that in Ireland, the "aitch"/"haitch" distinction is sectarian, but have never proved this one to be correct.

On the noun-subject agreement, it is not as simple as one might otherwise think, for some apparently singular nouns are in fact plural and so take a plural verb - the correct rule is to focus on whether the emphasis is on the collective or the individuals.

For instance, take "The team were wearing their clothes." Clearly in this context it is the individual members of the team who were all, individually, wearing their individual clothes, not the team as a whole wearing its collective clothes (a large blanket?). "The team was wearing its clothes" is nonsense.

For choice, I would eliminate the apparent disagreement and insert "members", however [/stick-in-mud] it is perfectly acceptable not to.

A Question of Grammar - tyro
I was once told that in Ireland the "aitch"/"haitch" distinction is sectarian

I think that 'national' is more correct than 'sectarian'. The distinction is between people who consider themselves 'British' and those who consider themselves 'Irish'.
Thanks to all, as usual, and to Mapmaker for the very useful link to the Simon Heffer article. The subject is a bit of a minefield isn't it?
I have now sent off for the Economst Style book which covers a lot of the 'rules' of writing and syntax, assumng you want to write like the Economist! At least their writing is consistent and obeys stated rules so I will see what their thoughts are.
A Question of Grammar - drbe
Oh and another thing! (What a good thread this is)

I hate broadcasters who don't know the difference between :-

"Incidents" and

"Incidence"
A Question of Grammar - NorfolkDriver
At the start of Anglia local news each evening.

The presenters introduce themselves with "Good evening from Simon and me". ME? I thought it was Simon and I.

No wonder ITV are axing alot of their news teams.

A Question of Grammar - deepwith
Sorry, but they are correct. You would not say "Good evening from I".
A Question of Grammar - Pugugly
At least its not "Simon (and that dreadful) myself".
Bradford & Bingley shares - cheddar
I made the following point as part of the previous discussion on the bank rescue plan though has anyone got any thoughts specifically on this?

Should Bradford & Bingley shareholders be recompensed for the fact that the value of shareholdings in Abbey, Lloyds, Barclays et al are being supported by the government?

After all if Messrs Brown and Darling had acted sooner (not that i agree 100% with the approach they have taken) then B&B may have been saved and jobs and shareholders interests preserved.
Bradford & Bingley shares - jbif
Should Bradford & Bingley shareholders be recompensed for the fact that the value of shareholdings in Abbey, Lloyds, Barclays et al are being supported by the government?

My opinion, how I see this issue, and no doubt many will not agree with it:

I don't see it that way at all. Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley were worthless, and the Government decided to protect savers rather than compensate shareholders for their worthless shares. That was because their outstanding mortgages handed out based on 125% loan to valuations and 5 to 5 times earnings [in the belief that prices would continue to rise in a never ending boom] are greater than the values of those houses today.

I think HBOS and maybe RBoS should have been allowed to go the same way.

Abbey is owned by a Spanish Bank and I don't see how Gordy can support Santander's shares unless he buys a stake in the Spanish shares.

HSBC, Barclays and Lloyd's are not worthless, and have been offered an opportunity to raise capital, if they need it, from the BoE at a price, and have been offered loans for their cash-flow. If the BoE gets preference shares in any of those companies based on current stock valuations, then the BoE stands to gain substantially from a recovery in the share price if that should happen. As I understand it, the BoE is providing this line of credit because the usual foreign [mainly from China and Middle East] retail sources of funds have lost confidence in the UK.

I think anyone who invests in shares should be prepared to lose it all, whether it is Polly Peck, GEC-Marconi, or Bradford & Bingley.

I think it is wrong to give unlimited protection to the Icesave rate-tarts who saved with that bank. They weere happy to put their savings in a non-British Bank because of the headline high interest, and should take the bitter medicine now.

jbif, what happened to your Yahoo finance question?

>>That was because their outstanding mortgages handed out based on 125% loan to valuations >>

That was the Northern Rock scenario, not Bradford & Bingley, the later was/is solvent though "failed" largely due to poor management and misplaced/timed rights issue.

Abbey is owned by a Spanish Bank and I don't see how Gordy can support
Santander's shares unless he buys a stake in the Spanish shares.

>>

Look like he will if they ask for support, there lies another issue, should the bail out be available to UK subsidiaries of foriegn banks?

I think it is wrong to give unlimited protection to the Icesave rate-tarts who saved
with that bank. They weere happy to put their savings in a non-British Bank because
of the headline high interest and should take the bitter medicine now.

I disagree totally, Icesave traded in the UK, consumers had no reason to think that their money was any less safe than any other bank.

Edited by cheddar on 09/10/2008 at 13:54

jbif, what happened to your Yahoo finance question?

Got moved to CRQ [where I had thought of placing it in the first place!].
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=67...0

To be clear on Bradford & Bingley due to poor management and their misplaced and mistimed rights issue caused a collapse in share value and correspondingly the start of a run on its funds, how does that differ from HBOS?
.. Bradford & Bingley due to poor management and their misplaced and mistimed rights issue

Analysts seem to blame it on B&B's taste for buy-to-let and self certified mortgages:

www.ft.com/indepth/bradford-bingley
"Last rites for B&B
Published: September 28 2008 20:01 | Last updated: September 28 2008 20:01
...... Most of its mortgage loans, including those purchased from other providers, were to landlords hoping to profit from a property boom or to people who gave no proof of their salary. Little surprise that its rate of arrears is well above that of other lenders. It was always a likely victim of any significant downturn in house prices, particularly in a global financial crisis."

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/
By Harry Wallop, Consumer Affairs Editor Last Updated: 7:41PM BST 29 Sep 2008
".... strategy of moving the bank into buy-to-let and self-certification mortgages, with 85 per cent of all the loans it sold in these risky areas.
Eddie Weatherall, the chairman of campaign group the Independent Banking Advisory Service, said: "The management aggressively fought to get a major stake of the buy-to-let and self-cert market.""
how does that differ from HBOS?

Only in that Lloyds has been rushed/tempted in to offering to buy what it thinks is a bargain. The plan may yet fail, and HBOS could end up like B&B.

Bradford & Bingley shares - adverse camber
I think it is wrong to give unlimited protection to the Icesave rate-tarts who saved
with that bank. They weere happy to put their savings in a non-British Bank because
of the headline high interest and should take the bitter medicine now.

>>

> I disagree totally, Icesave traded in the UK, consumers had no reason to think that their >money was any less safe than any other bank.

However, as things stand there is more protection for people with money in a foreign bank than there is for those with cash in a UK bank (unlimited vs £50K). Is that really appropriate?

People knew that they were putting money int oa foreign bank - why should the UK government reimburse them.
Bradford & Bingley shares - Mapmaker
>>People knew that they were putting money int oa foreign bank - why should the UK government reimburse them.

Because the rules say so.

More to the point, people knew they were putting money into an account paying over 7% interest. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is...
Because the rules say so.

I thought the rules said first 20,000 or so Euros down to foreign bank, the rest of £50k down to FSA, and any sum above that is at risk.

However, have not Darling Brown has decided to waive the limit for Icesave despite the rules?

Edited by jbif on 09/10/2008 at 16:05

Bradford & Bingley shares - adverse camber
I never had you down as a stickler for rules Mapmaker. I suppose asking about moral responsibility is pointless.

Anyway the 'rules' put the onus for the first £16K on the icelandic government did they not? Or was that one of the other icelanic banks - so many of them going bust that I'm losing track.
It is an international market, wht should people feel that there money is less safe in Icesave or Santander or ING than Barclays, Bradford & Bingley or Northern Rock.

Both the perception and the reality is that these businesses are trading in the UK and thus offer UK assurances.

On which note:

Apparently the governments of Nigeria, Liberia and Sierra Leone have warned their citizens that if they get any e-mails from UK and US based banks, promising government-backed security deposits and seeking bank account details then it?s a scam ... ... ... ... ...

>>Anyway the 'rules' put the onus for the first £16K on the icelandic government did they not?

Indeed. So I think that UK investors should lose their first 16k, get back the next 19k, and lose anything more than that.

So far as moral responsibility goes; I really don't believe that (ignoring the law for a moment) the Government has any moral responsibility to recompense depositors at all - they don't recompense you if your mattress-under-the-bed-stuffed-with-tenners is stolen. The law says what it says, so I believe the law should be enforced.

I DO believe that, now that it has bailed out every other bank in Britain, the Government has a moral responsibility towards recompensing shareholders in NR and B&B. There is an inconsistency of approach there that sits very uncomfortably. (From a political point of view, I am reasonably surprised that the Government hasn't agreed to make a payment to investors of say £1 per share up to a maximum of say £500 per holding - a great vote winner, I should have thought.)
Bradford & Bingley shares - NowWheels
I DO believe that now that it has bailed out every other bank in Britain
the Government has a moral responsibility towards recompensing shareholders in NR and B&B. There is
an inconsistency of approach there that sits very uncomfortably.

If B&B and NR shareholders are compensated, why not also compensate shareholders of all the other companies with a broken business model which will go splot in the current crisis?

Shares are not like bank desposits; they can go down as well as up, and they may go down all the way to zero.
>>Shares are not like bank desposits; they can go down as well as up, and they may go down all the way to zero.

Absolutely. But NR and B&B did NOT go down to zero (look at Woolworths for a share that is trading very close to zero). The Government intervened and stole the banks from the shareholders long before that point was reached. They were not zero-value businesses.

With the other banks, the Government intervened slightly earlier and put money in so that they have not (yet!) gone bust.

It is the completely arbitrary nature of this distinction that is wrong. As a British citizen, one should be able to rely on the Government's consistency.
>>shareholders of all the other companies with a broken business model which will go splot in the current crisis? >>

That is a good point however the decision was, rightly or wrongly, to bail out the banks.

And HBOS for one would have gone splot, what difference B&B? It would not have failed had the gov not dithered.

NR is though a different scenario I feel.
>>NR is though a different scenario I feel

Not really. If the Government had, at that time, been offering to banks the levels of cash that it now is, then NR would be fine too.

It would have been taken over by LTSB - who, if you remember, wanted the Government to guarantee it a few (in October 2008 terms) pounds. LTSB would have paid for the shares from NR shareholders - no doubt by issuing more shares in itself. But NR shareholders would not have been left with nothing.
Bradford & Bingley shares - Stuartli
Two interesting points (as a sideline from the events of the past few days).

Firstly, how does a Government that refuses to pay out £30m or so annually to provide drugs to help certain deserving cancer sufferers to enjoy welcome months of additional lifespan because "of the cost", manage to suddenly come up with hundreds of billions of pounds to save financial institutions?

Secondly, how will it now be able, just for a start, to pay the new pension rates from next April as the percentage increase is based on the previous September's inflation figure (nearly five per cent and a figure we all know is below the true picture)?
Annuities - geoff1248
I am about to place my pension contributions with an insurance company for them to provide me with a pension by way of an annuity. My question is whether or not insurance company annuities are covered by the govt. £50k compensation scheme should the insurance company go under?
Annuities - Falkirk Bairn
FSC supervises both Ins Co & Banks.

If nervous, you can delay the pension annuity until you are older (but less than 75 yrs old)
Annuities - Dulwich Estate
goeff1248 - I hope you've looked around the market and found the best deal - you don't have to stick with the company that has your fund.

There is talk in today's paper about the 75 years of age rule possibly being lifted for a while until this crunch thing settles down a bit.
Annuities - geoff1248
Yes, I could wait until I'm 75 but what mates you think there won't be another recession then?
However, my actual question was whether or not the money I "hand over" to the insurance company is 100% safe and covered by the £50k guarantee.
What determines the depth of colour of egg yolks? - L'escargot
I cracked open three eggs this morning and the yolks of all three were an unusually pale yellow colour. Why were they pale?
What determines the depth of colour of egg yolks? - Nsar
Don't know but feeding your chickens fresh grass cuttings improves the colour.
What determines the depth of colour of egg yolks? - bathtub tom
I was told a rich yellow fat on beef is a result of lots of buttercups where the cattle graze.
What determines the depth of colour of egg yolks? - nick
A lot is down to what they eat. Commercial egg producers can use a colour chart to buy food to give whatever colour they like, so most battery eggs will usually be a uniform colour. Likewise most large scale free-range which get virtually all their food from the farmer, even organic feeds contain a natural colouring agent. True free range eggs will vary depending on what the bird gets hold of.