What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 252 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 253 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 252. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/10/2008 at 14:53

Cental heating no room Thermostat - buzbee
If you have temp-controlled radiator valves without a room thermostat, what tells the boiler to switch off?

In my system it would cause the boiler to keep firing up to keep its water jacket at the temperature set by the thermostat that is in the water jacket.

Boiler lagging is not very good and so it would waste gas doing that.
Cental heating no room Thermostat - Dog
In my last owse, the boiler (oil) was in the *detatched* garage, so If I had no room thermostat (hall) the boiler would have come over all un-neccessary like!

HotDog.
Cental heating no room Thermostat - nick
The problem with a room stat and trvs fitted as well is that when the room stat switches off, all the rads go off even if they are on demand. The only way round that is to have the room stat so high that it never switches off. So what's the point?

Edited by nick on 03/10/2008 at 09:44

Cental heating no room Thermostat - adverse camber
room stats and trvs do different things.

A trv only controls the temperature of the radiator (or more accurately it controls the temperature of the water in the pipe next to the trv). The boiler will go on and off depending on the boiler thermostat (if fitted).

a thermostat allows you to control the temperature of a zone. If they turn off the heat to that zone it is because the room is warm enough - why would you want the radiators to overheat a warm room? A problem might arise if the trvs are set so low that the radiators are unable to deliver enough heat into the room.

The other potential issue is that most people do not have properly balanced radiators or pipework so the combination of trv and thermostat can provide a sort of auto balancing (thats what we do because I cant be bothered with the disruption involved in having to redo all the piping).

Cental heating no room Thermostat - SpamCan61 {P}
The way I look at it is that I use TRVs in areas where I'm likely to want lower than living room thermostat temperature i.e. bedrooms / hallways.
Microwave high-voltage fuse. - FotheringtonThomas
If I replace the 5KV 0.7A fuse with an "ordinary" fast blow 60V 0.7A item, what are the implications for a) the microwave, and b) the immediate vicinity (N.B. this machine will not be left working, unattended).
Microwave high-voltage fuse. - spikeyhead {p}
Without doing a detailed study, I'm at a loss to say exactly what will happen.

Possibilities include:-

The fuse breaking down leading to the 5kV with nowhere to go other than somewhere it shouldn't.

The fuse exploding, there's a lot of energy in 5kV and 0.7A and little bits of hot metal and glass being spread round the internals of the microwave.

Its not like 60V is close to 5000V, its a long way away. Replacing a safety component with one rated to about 1% of what was fitted.

Don't do it.
Poem. - Dog
Is there anyone on board that can decipher this poem, I had enough trouble with Grays Elergy ~ www.eapoe.org/works/poems/cworma.htm

Thanx - Dog.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/10/2008 at 11:28

Poem. - Pugugly
I was taught that it was a sort of metaphor for life along the lines of a stage play - personally I prefer Oilrag's efforts.

Edited by Pugugly on 03/10/2008 at 14:38

Poe. - Dog
>personally I prefer Oilrag's efforts.<

Plus MeLud of course!
Poe. - Baskerville
It's about the idea that life is nothing without death; more than that, if life is like a play, death is actually the hero. It comes from the Romantic (note the big 'R') idea of the sublime, which roughly speaking is the point of balance between sensation and fear: the mountains are only really beautiful if you also experience their dangerous side; cut flowers are all the more lovely because they don't last long; life is a less colourful thing without the knowledge that it will end and it can't be enjoyed fully unless it is lived in that knowledge.

These lines are key:

That motley drama ? oh, be sure
It shall not be forgot!
With its Phantom chased forevermore,
By a crowd that seize it not,

The phantom being the essence of life and the crowd (that's us) always chasing and never quite reaching it. For a better poem on similar lines have a look at Keats's Ode on a Grecian Urn.
Poe. - Dipstick
Thanks Baskerville. Appreciated.
Poe. - Dog
Cheers for that Baskerville, I shall give it much thought o'er the weekend ... Poe was obviously cosmically aware like Whitman & Bacon etc., I shall have a basinful of Keats as well whilst I am about it.

PhilosophicalDog.
Poe. - Baskerville
>>Poe
was obviously cosmically aware like Whitman & Bacon etc.

Whitman in particular, though I think Whitman is more American in outlook than Poe. Poe's Romanticism owes a lot more to the European Romantics (Keats, Goethe etc) than Whitman's, whose philosophical outlook is closer to the Transcendentalism of Emerson and Thoreau. Interestingly Poe was also a philosopher of science and did some influential (at the time) work on scientific method. His detective stories also used scientific method to get to the solution of crimes.
Poe. - Dog
Ah, yes - Emerson was another what I would call an off worlder = Human, but more than Human - what we can (and will) become ... Jesus was another Avatar.

Dog.
Poe. - Hugh Watt
Maybe it's a bit closer to Blake? -

O Rose, thou art sick!
The Invisible worm,
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed
Of Crimson joy;
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.

Poe. - cheddar

How about Williams?

I sit and wait
Does an angel contemplate my fate
And do they know
The places where we go
When were grey and old
cos I have been told
That salvation lets their wings unfold
So when Im lying in my bed
Thoughts running through my head
And I feel the love is dead
Im loving angels instead

Am I a philistine or are today's lyricists comparable with the likes of Poe and Grey?
Poe. - Baskerville
Absolutely. Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience are two collections that take opposing positions to make exactly this point about the sublime. Of the fierce, violent, dangerous tiger he says "Did he who made the lamb make thee?" and the implied answer is "Yes". Blake, who was writing quite a lot earlier than Poe, was very enthusiastic about the American Revolution too. All that stuff about the chains of Albion and the heroic colonies. Where Poe takes this in another direction though is in his apparent, though far from straightforward, atheism. Blake was anti-organised religion partly because he thought the church was run and attended by hypocrites, but in his own way he did believe in God, and an Old Testament one at that.

I don't know about Robbie Williams vs. Gray, because I don't know much about Gray, but doesn't Williams get most of his material from Guy Chambers? The Bob Dylan vs. Keats argument was well covered by critics in the 1970s and now Dylan's lyrics, among others, are on the syllabus at many universities. No reason why not, is there?

edited to correct a typo.

Edited by Baskerville on 03/10/2008 at 14:42

Poe. - cheddar
Williams and Chambers co-write [not one music and the other lyrics like John and Taupin), more recently Williams has worked with another guy (as opposed to another Guy ;-) ] who's name escapes me.

Though it is said that the basis for Angels came from an unknown Irish bloke who was give a few £000 for the rights before Williams and Chambers refined it.

I was thinking Grey as in Grey's Eligy - unless you thought I meant David Gray, many great lyrics from him.
Poe. - Baskerville
I had the idea, without really knowing, that it was lyrics and music, but that makes a lot of sense.
I was thinking Grey as in Grey's Eligy - unless you thought I meant David
Gray many great lyrics from him.

Thomas Gray of Elegy fame is spelt the same way as David Gray, so maybe the songwriter is a descendent. Showing remarkable foresight for a man who died in 1771 the English poet registered his name as a domain:

www.thomasgray.org
Poe. - cheddar
Thomas Gray of Elegy fame is spelt the same way as David Gray >>

Yes of course, nad I splet "Elegy" wrnog !
Transferring cash ISA from one provider to another - L'escargot
Is it permissable to transfer part of a cash ISA holding from one provider to another, or does the whole amount have to be transferred.

(In view of the current uncertainty in banking I want to put some of my eggs into another basket.)
Transferring cash ISA from one provider to another - jbif
Is it permissable to transfer part of a cash ISA holding from one provider to another or does the whole amount have to be transferred.

Yes and No.
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=108...7

For other views, google: cash isa partial transfer

[ permissable - L'escargot, such mistakes from you are not permissible ]

Transferring cash ISA from one provider to another - L'escargot
[ permissable - L'escargot such mistakes from you are not permissible ]

D'oh! I've been hoisted with my own petard!

Edited by L'escargot on 03/10/2008 at 10:01

For children (of all ages) not too young though! - Dog
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJvZmvqscE&NR=1
HDTV - Dipstick
In a parallel world where I might actually watch some tv (we watch a few dvds and maybe one programme a week these days), how much would I have to spend to get an HDTV of reasonable quality?

We keep seeing them in the shops and looking puzzled at each other, because the pictures look awful - smeary, juddery, and at best, pretty indistinguishable from the CRT we have now.

Is this a case of needing to spend £1500 or something to actually get something of much worth, or do the £500 sets just need serious tweaking to make them any good? I'd be prepared to *think* about the lower end of that range but absolutely not the upper, but don't want to waste my money.

For the record, we have a Virgin+ box, so could only get about two things on it in HD.

Edited by Dipstick on 03/10/2008 at 15:32

HDTV - FotheringtonThomas
How much you pay, and any benefits realised, depend on how big the thing is. If you've only got a little one, it won't make any difference. A middle-sized one might be better, if you look carefully. Of course, a great big one will benefit.
HDTV - Pugugly
Read some tests ! We had a Hitachi 28 in plasma, which although not HDMI but DVI (although there are conversion kits available now) we found it a little small for the room is in so we replaced it with a Toshiba REGZA 32inch which was top of the pile for an LCD in the tests. The result is that, with a recent HD Sky installation, it is very good for my favourite things i.e. BBC HD, Documentaries and Films. Good value for money with a recent provider offer. It does what I want. The best pre-HD upgrade, by the way, is an eye test !

Edited by Pugugly on 03/10/2008 at 17:38

HDTV - Alby Back
My eyes are fine, it's just that my arms seem to be too short these days.
HDTV - Robbie
I have spent over twelve months contemplating which model to buy. I have been reading the various reports and buyers comments on the various forums. Most LCDs seemed to have problems, according to their owners. Anyway, I took the plunge and bought a top of the range Sony KDL 40X3000 just three weeks ago. So far it has been excellent; and the picture on BBC HD is breathtaking.

Watching the various wildlife programmes brings it home to you. I bought the Humax Foxsat Freesat receiver to go with it, and I don't regret the purchase.
HDTV - Dog
Last year I paid £850 for a Panasonic TX32 LXD700 which is a 100hz screen with great sound ... A friend paid £400 for a non discript brand 32 incher, he was pleased with it but I would rather pay the extra for the better machine.
Robbie's 40 incher sounds rather nice!
In this world ya get what ya pay for.

Dog.
HDTV - adverse camber
It makes a big difference what you are going to be watching and how big the screen is. I've seen apparently terrible image quality on very expensive sony etc and apparently excellent quality on cheapo £250 stuff.

If the broadcast is HD then great, but if it is ordinary TV being badly upscaled then the picture can look very blocky.

Be aware as well that in the shops they often have a very poor quality feed into the screens and that most screens are set by default to be over vivid (they think it looks 'better').

I would take advice somewhere like avforums.
HDTV - billy25
Price doesn't always mean quality, niether does a "name"!
i bought a "top-of-the-range" 32" Toshiba, 5:1 surround sound, lovely glass stand, all sorts of screen-resolutions, and knew more tricks than a {snip, slang remark that could cause offence removed}, all for a measley £1350!!. Just over 4 years on, it still sits resplendent on its glass stand, whilst G/f and me watch an 18 year old, 20" Alba that still works perfectly! - yup, the Toshiba has packed-up and will be leaving the building.
"Hey Tosh! forget the Toshiba" as the catch line SHOULD have said ;-(

Billy

EDIT: how did this pop up in this position? {now moved to correct place}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/10/2008 at 21:06

Commercial rates website - Mapmaker
Can anybody point me to the Government website that lists the rateable value for commercial rates for buildings?

Many thanks
Commercial rates website - Pugugly
www.voa.gov.uk/
Commercial rates website - Mapmaker
Thanks PU.
Whats the P stand for? - NorfolkDriver
Simple one for all you that have been around on here sometime I have no doubt of that.

What does the P at the end of some people's names stand for?

i.e. Armitage Shanks {p} . Sorry to pick on you pal!!
Whats the P stand for? - adverse camber
To indicate that they have a public profile - click on the name
Whats the P stand for? - Pugugly
An oft asked question - it was adopted by some members to indicate they had a profile you could view
Whats the P stand for? - NorfolkDriver
Thanks for the prompt answers.

Another "itch" itched!!
Investing for Children - Nsar
Hi,

I have £5k I'd like to maximise for the benefits of my children (12 and 10) to give them a start in life post university/early part of their career. I would envisage adding broadly similar amounts each year ie about £2k to £3k for each of them them annually, rising over time with inflation and hopefully my earnings!

Happy to look at more complex arrangements (ie needing a lawyer to draw something up, rather than off the shelf product if that makes more sense in the long term)

Thanks
Investing for Children - Pugugly
Premium Bonds !

or

Cash ISAs at Northen Rock

or

Lumps of gold.
Investing for Children - Nsar
...er, thanks PU

I've used my ISA allowance, P Bonds are a hopeless investment and if you can guarantee the price of gold in the next 10 years what are you doing wasting your time here?

I would bet on Gold more than oil a the moment - apart from that its more nicer looking and doesn't smell. P Bonds are government backed - find me a non nationalized Bank that's safe and I'll leave with tomorrow. Sorry the telepathic software wasn't working in respect of your ISA allowance. :-0

PS

Post Office Account - little risk at the moment, backed by the Bank of Ireland. Still not as shiny as Gold though. They'll get a an exemption from tax due to their non-taxpaying status.

Edited by Pugugly on 04/10/2008 at 16:44

Investing for Children - jbif
Happy to look at more complex arrangements

Doh. I had just typed out a long reply and forgot to copy it before being timed out

"Any asset owned by a child under 18 and unmarried, derived from the property of the parents, that produces income of more than £100 per year, is taxed on the parents as the parents income. "

I short, as your children do not qualify for Gordon's "Child Trust Fund", you will need complex arrangements which fall in the realms of wills and trusts in order to set aside "assets" for them.

You need to look at alternatives such as
www.fandc.com/new/careers/Default.aspx?id=78401

But ask yourself if funds outperform the market consistently to justify charges.

Otherwise DIY.
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandf...l

Check if you can hold Premium Bonds in children's names.

Premium Bond age limit is 16 or above. Gold looking better eh ?
Investing for Children - jbif
Gold looking better eh ?

This one is said to be worth 10 times its weight.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture...m
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7648211.stm

Investing for Children - daveyjp
16 is minimum age to buy premium bonds. My 2.5 year old daughter has a few hundred of them bought as gifts.

Edited by daveyjp on 04/10/2008 at 20:29

Investing for Children - FotheringtonThomas
You need to look at alternatives such as
www.fandc.com/ (snip)

Seconded. tinyurl.com/3mfcx5 Costs are comparaitvely low to very low.
Duty Solicitor - NorfolkDriver
I got another itch that needs scratching!!

If person A is arrested and the duty solicitor is called, does the duty solicitor have to take the case on (presuming that person A cannot afford a solicitor) or does the arrested person have to pay something towards the solicitor costs (or the full costs)?
Duty Solicitor - Pugugly
Depends and no, not at custody stage anyway.

Edited by Pugugly on 04/10/2008 at 22:21

Duty Solicitor - NorfolkDriver
PU,

Thanks for the reply.

Its something I have been thinking about for the last couple of years. The ex was arrested for fraud (and found guilty but I didnt laugh much!!), and was represented in court by a solicitor that has also represented a very well known model. Now, I know the ex has no money, just trying to work out if she would have had to borrow the money or got the services for nowt as he could have been the duty sol in the area.

Said solicitor has recently taken on another high profile case.
Duty Solicitor - Pugugly
I represented a famous model once. It was a Airfix MK5 1/72 scale Spitfire (Boom Boom)
Duty Solicitor - Alby Back
How did it go ? Did you just wing it ?......
Duty Solicitor - Pugugly
He came unstuck in the box.

(edited for something funnier IMHO)

Edited by Pugugly on 04/10/2008 at 22:52

Duty Solicitor - Alby Back
Got in a flap I suppose.
Howlin' Wolf - longshot!! - PhilW
Just been doing a bit of catching up on radio listening I should have done earlier, via BBc I-player but didn't realise programmes are only on there for a week .... so, got todays and recorded it, but I have missed the Howlin' Wolf Story programme broadcast last Friday or Saturday.
Anyone got a recording I could scrounge?? (willing to pay for a CD/postage etc)
And while we are about it - the same night's programme on the history of the guitar (Led Zeppelin story - nice follow up to PU's previous "representation of a famous model Spitfire!!!)
Just recording Clapton concert from earlier this evening (but I wish he would stick to blues rather than his luvvy-duvvy stuff!! - might have to do some serious editing!!)
Any other blues fans out there???

"Goin' Down Slow" Phil
Howlin' Wolf - longshot!! - Pugugly
Buddy Guy is my cup of tea. Claims to be influenced by early Clapton stuff. Saw him perform in a very undistinguished venue a few years ago....excellent guitarist. Amy Wadge is light blues listening, superb voice.
"Buddy Guy is my cup of tea."

And mine - and BB King, Gary Moore, Albert Collins, and , and ...... -I see a long night ahead - a bottle of red and the old blues records!!
Got a great recording of Clapton and Buddy Guy (and Robert Cray and others) I took from the radio in about 1991 - concert from Albert Hall - if you want a copy let me know.
Howlin' Wolf - longshot!! - smokie
Probably a good half half (and the only growing part) of my music collection is blues. I've always liked it but never owned much, till recent years. I've recently put the Chicago Blues Festival on my agenda of things to do before I die...

Tried looking for a Torrent of the broadcast you want?

EDIT: I may have found it at

rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=the+howlin+wolf+story...=

Rather slow download, will check it in the morning

Edited by smokie on 05/10/2008 at 01:20

Thanks smokie - will also give it a go in the morning

"Chicago Blues Festival "
Me too!!
And Clapton's Blues guitar Festival as in
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OXrmxDp44
with Clapton, BB King, Hubert Sumlin, Jim Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray etc

Have you tried youtube for some great blues stuff?
Here's a starter or two
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xuRhaDrnlWo&mode=related&se...=
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HcH-jmmaY7Q&mode=related&se...=
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbkDN-C4eY&feature=related
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iO2_LnlDdY4&mode=related&se...=

Must off to bed!
Phil

Howlin' Wolf - longshot!! - smokie
That link is probably not what you're after. I downloaded it overnight (104mb rar file). it would have expanded to over 800mb, but required further parts. That is much too large for a radio broadcast - more likely a movie. It also appeared to be created in July, but then your programme may have been a repeat.

Thanks for the links!

Edited by smokie on 05/10/2008 at 08:23

Howlin' Wolf - longshot!! - Alby Back
An unexpected pleasure of my "new" car is that it has both a multi cd and a cassette deck. I have a vast collection of music on cassettes gathered over the years. Always meant to transfer some of it onto a more modern format but never got around to it. Haven't had a cassette deck in the car for years and am really enjoying some of my old sounds. Mr.....John.....Leee.......Hoooooker for EG!!!!!!

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 05/10/2008 at 09:01

Howlin' Wolf - longshot!! - helicopter
Glad to see some more Blues lovers in the backroom. My CD cabinet is full of blues CD's.

Try visiting Memphis if you get the chance.

I have very fond memories of a through a fug of Jack Daniels of Beale St a few years ago.

Try BB Kings club , the Rum Boogie Cafe or just wander up and down and choose any of the clubs. You can get a ticket that entitles you to entry to all the clubs for around $20 IIRC.

We ended up listening to a great band of locals just playing on the sidewalk down the rough end of Beale St - they sounded far more authentic than the bands in the professional clubs who were sometimes a bit too polished for me.

One evening the street was just full of Harley Davidsons and their owners - the most amazing display of customised bikes . Like something out of Easy Rider.

One evening was enlivened by the Rib shack going up in flames and the fire engines turning up with those foghorns sounding ....and the cops turning up on their Harleys moving people out of the way

Heard amazing harmonica ( 'harp' in America ) from a Chicago blues player called Billy Branch in a 'battle of the harps' with other players in one of the clubs .

I 'm heading back there next year with friends to celebrate my 60th in style..... Can't wait.

Howlin' Wolf - longshot!! - Dog
Like the blues? man I even play the blues ... 62 re-issue strat in cream + Gibson 335 jap copy + Fender acoustic.
Check this out ~ uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYRzH10L2M

HoundDog.
Memphis - Pebble
And don't forget when in Memphis to visit Graceland! Holy cats! That's just an eye-popping visit, and once done there you'll have plenty of tacky Elvis souvenir shops to visit...I was there 12 years ago and loved it. Also don't miss out on the local barbecue, or a visit to your local Waffle House--careful, you'll come back having gained a stone.
Previewing a post - L'escargot
For the last few days, whenever I've previewed a post I've lose it ~ the post, that is! What am I doing wrong?

Edited by L'escargot on 06/10/2008 at 08:45

Previewing a post - jbif
For the last few days, whenever I've previewed a post I've lose it ~ the post, that is! What am I doing wrong?

You are not alone.
First time it happened to me, I thought I had been timed out.

In subsequent posts, I then found that it happens all the time - I get a line in big font saying "Your Reply to this message" and nothing else and I get logged out.

Just tried it before posting this and it is still happening. [I am using XP and IE7]

Previewing a post - Dynamic Dave
Logged fault with Khoo Systems. DD.
Previewing a post - Dynamic Dave
Problem now fixed. You might need to refresh your browser though.

DD.
Look where you are going - Lud

I hope I will be forgiven for posting this email from my nephew. The motoring connection is too tenuous to mention, but this may serve as a warning to look where you are going in crowded streets at night. My nephew, the nicest of men, is a very big fellow who wears spectacles and looks slow on his feet, but isn't.

" headed off to the cashpoint.

I took out money for the cab and the babysitter and headed off after a nice exchange with the Scottish Big Issue seller stationed at the ATM on Greek Street..

As I walked past the FA offices I checked my Blackberry and saw an piece of unbelievable stupidity had been circulated as an email. I started to responded with of those "Can you believe what some people think" emails to a colleague who I knew would agree when a man stood in front of me and let me walk into him. Being engaged in office politics in the middle of Soho Square I was not paying much attention to the real world.

He was not quite as tall as me, bearded - a black Italian footballers beard - and in a leather jacket and jeans.

He reached out for my left hand with his right and pulled it up towards his neck in some sort of street handshake. He told me - in a thick accent (Albanian?) to mind where I was going and then started to call me John. "You are John. Look where you are going John". I, of course, said that I was not John, that he must be confusing me with somebody else, that I was sorry for bumping into him and that I really needed to be getting on my way.

He let me go and walked off. I check my pockets and found that my wallet was missing. So I set off after him saying stop and using lots of foul language. He started to run, I started to run faster. People started shouting "What has he done?" and "Over that way, he is over there" as I dashed past.

The idiot snuck down behind a parked car in the square at the top of Frith Street. He was separating my wallet from its contents.

I grabbed him by the lapels and pulled him up into the middle of the road. I asked him for my wallet back, again using some foul language. He handed me back my empty wallet. Now I asked for the money. A small crowd was gathering, some were talking to him (in Albanian?), some were telling me not to hit him, some were saying that everything was in CCTV, some were saying they were calling the police and other were telling him to give me my stuff and everything could end there and then. It was the Albanian(?) speaking ones I was worried about. The villain gave some money. I said that was not all of it and what about my card. A taller man, speaking to him (in Albanian?), was at his shoulder and telling me to let the guy go and that he would not run off, he gave me his word that he would not run off and if he did he would fetch him back for me. I said was not letting him go until I had my money and my card.

The villain gave me some more money and receipts from my wallet and started shouting that he had nothing else. I said where is my card, he shouted that he had given me everything, I said I want my card back now, again he said he did not have it. The taller one started saying that I had everything, that I should let the villian go and check through what he had given me. I felt that he was asking me in a reasonable fashion, but that reasonable tone might not be around for much longer.

I let go, I checked my pockets. In a ball of cash and receipts was my card. I said I had it. Then the villain started yelling "See, See he accused me, I did nothing. He dropped his wallet. I picked it up. He is causing trouble. Look he has everything, why is he accusing me."

Then the police arrived. They asked in that way the police do so well - "What is happening here?". I guess they were watching on CCTV and came down to have a look in person. I say the guy stole my wallet, that I chased him, got my stuff back and that now I have everything. This huge Policeman asked me if I want to press charges. The second policeman was now vigorously searching the villain with one hand while holding him against the Square railings with the other. The people who had gathered around me, the ones who were not speaking Albanian (?), were now accusing the police of threatening the villain, they were asking for their cop numbers.

The large policeman said again, ?Do you want to press charges?? I thought about what he said, I thought about the baby sitter waiting at home so I said ?No, I can?t press charges I have to go home.?

And that was that. I walked off, found a taxi and was whisked off to Islington. It is extraordinary how the thought of cancelling ones cards and having no cash for the baby sitter will impel one into action!"

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2008 at 14:43

Look where you are going - NowWheels
I'm struggling to see what this has to do with a PT Cruiser. Unless you are suggesting that a PT Cruiser is no more desirable than your nephew's Abanian thief ....

Glad that he got his money back, but the story does remind me that it is unwise to remain permanently plugged in to a Blackberry, especially when walking through a city.

{make/model now dropped}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/10/2008 at 14:45

Look where you are going - tyro
I'm struggling to see what this has to do with a PT Cruiser. Unless you
are suggesting that a PT Cruiser is no more desirable than your nephew's Abanian thief

Oh.

I thought that the connection was that one might be so transfixed by the sight of such a wonderful looking vehicle that one would walk cease to pay attention to where one was going. In the case of Lud's nephew, it was a Blackberry, but in the case of a car lover, it would be something like a PT Cruiser.
Look where you are going - L'escargot
bearded - a black Italian footballers beard
- and in a leather jacket and jeans.

I'll make sure I give him a wide berth when I see him.

;-)
I have been surprised by the failure so far of anyone to take up the points I thought were interesting about my nephew's story, which have been touched on here more than once.

One is the presence in the West End of skilled professional groups of pickpockets. The classic passing-on of the take was thwarted probably by my nephew's quick reaction, but other members quickly arrived to run interference after he caught the thief. It occurred to me that he might have been taking a physical risk, being far from a man of blood and iron although big and physically strong. But: he has good antennae and would have been aware of a real risk of violence. And: he was dealing with modern dips, a cut above the crazed mugger type. The behaviour he describes is delicate and not desperate. They gave the stuff back albeit reluctantly and in stages.

The other notable feature is the charged, volatile behaviour of the passer-by and rubberneckers, their multiple remarks, questions and exhortations and the way they started to question the behaviour of the police - perfectly correct by the sound of it - almost immediately. I have noticed this quality at night in the West End in recent years. Not very like the London of yore.
Look where you are going - JH
Lud,
apart from the courage of your nephew, the thing I picked up on was the hostility of the crowd toward the police. We could be heading for a society in which the police cannot function effectively becasue they do not have the support of the public. While that is a subject often touched on in this forum, there are other causes than speed cameras. Not all of those causes can be laid at the door of the police. If you turn your attention to the crowd it's worth asking, "why did they act like that?". Do they not understand that there are criminals, that it may be they who need help next time, that the police are doing a good job (in this case)? Obviously not.

Glad he's unharmed.

JH
It's a sort of confusion that's been around for a long time. Used to be a bit of a thing on the political left. It goes something like this.

People think of themselves, or a lot of them do, as being militantly fair in an anti-authoritarian way. Actually this is one of the better British national characteristics. But because they or one of their friends had a run-in with some young plod when they were young - it often happens, with faults on both sides - and/or have read about or heard about cases of police misbehaviour, they are ready to switch into anti-police mode without warning being pretty insouciant about the real rights and wrongs of the matter. After all, they are just bystanders and won't be held to account for it. Perhaps they are pleased that the mark recovered his cash, but now feel sentimental at the prospect of the pickpocket being taken away in handcuffs. I believe that some such feeling may have weighed with my nephew too. He is a kind-hearted soul well to the left of centre politically (we have often argued about the carphound Ken Livingstone).

I think frivolity is the word for the crowd's behaviour, although not my nephew's. There's more and more of it about.
Look where you are going - Mapmaker
The main observation is that the Blackberry is the devil's spawn. Why anybody would want one is beyond me.
Look where you are going - Pugugly
Mine is a constant source of misery and irritation (try a 6 hour battery life).

Lud's story is a parable for our times (sadly)
Look where you are going - Alby Back
I loath my Blackberry but unfortunately I'm locked into a contract on it for another year or so. Not sure why I got it other than it was a free upgrade from my mobile phone service provider. Battery life is rubbish. Menus too unwieldy. Keys too small. Reception poor. Apart from that I love it.

Sorry to hear your nephew's tale Lud. Good for him though.
Look where you are going - JH
PU
I must read more slowly. For a moment there your nephew had a 6 hour battery life :-)
JH

I think he actually has come to mention it - he seems to be asleep (or on charge) more than he's awake.

Edited by Pugugly on 06/10/2008 at 20:13

Look where you are going - gordonbennet
Glad your nephew got out of that scrape unhurt Lud, has he yet realised how easily that could have ended very differently had the area been less well lit/populated/monitored, and he could well have ended up a terrible statistic.

I have mixed feelings as to his not wishing to pursue charges, but i fully understand the all round implications in that too.

I say good on the bill for getting on the scene so quickly, just shows how hard their job has become with the onlookers so ready to have a go at them even if only verbally.
The attitude towards the police has changed so drastically since i was a pup, and not for the better.

I wouldn't live in a city for all the tea....
Look where you are going - Fullchat
Remember these people operate in well rehearsed groups. It is also not unlikely that they carry knives.
The best form of defence is attack that is why they verbally brow beated your nephew and the Police.
There was a group Fullchat, which operated cautiously and clearly didn't want things to escalate. My impression though is that the people questioning the police and starting to barrack them and ask for their numbers were not from the pickpocket group but ordinary passers-by. However that area of London has always been a bit tasty after dark, so it's hard to be really sure.

I certainly agree with most of gb's post though. This sort of random, slightly thick suspicion of the old bill's behaviour and intentions in the normal execution of their duty must be extremely annoying to the police and can't do any good long-term to the fabric of society... People mean well, sort of, quite often, but their grasp on reality seems a lot looser than it used to be when things were simple and boring.

Edited by Lud on 06/10/2008 at 21:35

Look where you are going - Zippy123
Well done and glad it worked out OK.

I am not sure that I would have put myself in the same position.

Shame you didn't press charges though, perhaps he would have been sent home!
Look where you are going - cheddar
Lud,
I used to work in Greek St, about 20 years ago, almost opposite L'Escargot, no not our northern gastropod friend, rather the ubiquitous Michelin (motoring connection - hurrah!) French restaurant, and Greek St was certainly a bit tasty at night then. Soho Sq has improved notably since.

Re the baying crowd there was probably a mix of the Albanian's (?) friends, some passer-bys who admired your nephew's have-a-go approach and a few yobos harranging the police, probably quite a balanced mix, later at night the passer-bys would be missing and the balance would be skewed to be more threatening towards both any have-a-go and the police.

I think it would be going too far to say that your nephew was lucky not to get hurt though he clearly took a risk, the Albanian(?) and/or his mates could have been carrying a knife.

I once saw a old guy in a Saab 900 (which was new then) try to drive down Greek St from Soho Sq while totally inebriated, he got about as far as L'Escargot by bouncing off at least half a dozen other vehicles before someone grabbed his keys and the police arrived.

Edited by cheddar on 07/10/2008 at 08:23

Look where you are going - Dog
Its better to be a coward for 3 minutes - than a dead man all your lfe ... money & credit cards can be replaced but people - fathers & husbands & sons & nephews can't - what if the picker of pockets was a druggy with a chiv - what then!
Your nephew acted on impulse (courage) who can say what we would do in the same situation (until you are there) crooks and muggers and scammers (and salesmen) don't really bother me as I was am from the back streets of South London so if I do get done, I would blame myself as I am aware of the underclass that has always been a part of any city, but especially the capital ... Yes, it has got worse with certain immigration from certain areas of Europe - THEY run the drugs, THEY run the sex 'industry', the pickers of pockets, card scams etc., etc., etc.
I can't comment on the atmosphere of the crowd as I wasn't there and I'm no psychologist.

Dog.
New York, New York - Adam {P}
Sorry to come up with a ridiculous question but I need some advice.

I'm not what you'd call an international jetsetter. I have been on ONE plane in my entire life and that was with work going from Liverpool to Ireland for a day. Flight time, approx. 40 mins.

However, March next year sees the birthday of the love of my life and to celebrate, we've booked a week in New York. Now then, I'm clueless in my own country let alone the US so does anyone have any pointers, advice and tips on anything you think might be useful?

We're staying in a hotel that's one block away from the Empire State Building so hopefully we're pretty close to some good stuff. The only downside is that instead of Manchester, we're having to fly from Heathrow which is a bit of a pain but in order to accomodate my large (some would say lanky) frame, and to avoid transfers in Chicago, needs must.

When is the best time to buy some dollars? I'm assuming not now obviously although I'll confess I'm not too clued up on it. The dollar is weak against the pound isn't it? Although that's changing. Does that mean if I hold off, my pound will get me more dollars?

Does money last over there or does everything cost a fortune? I know I'm going to pay a lot being in the city but how much do things like decent meals, taxis, shows, clothes and all that jazz cost? Either way, I'm not too concerned. Not to sound cavalier but with it being the trip of a lifetime, I wouldn't mind if I came back having blown all the money I'd taken as long as I'd enjoyed myself. Just so I have a rough idea whether I need to save hard, save very hard, or take out 3 extra jobs.

I'm also toying with the idea of hiring a car for the day to go on a bit of a wander (not in the city) but a) I'm not sure if there's anything worth wandering to that a taxi couldn't take us to. Plus, I understand that the hire car companies don't like you leaving the state. I just want to drive a Crown Vic if I'm being perfectly honest.

What else....I think that's it really. Anything else that's obvious if you think I've missed something would be most welcome. It's costing a fair bit so we're both intent on making the most of it.

The wise words and sage advice of the BR would be, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
New York, New York - NorfolkDriver
Sorry to come up with a ridiculous question but I need some advice.

I'm also toying with the idea of hiring a car for the day to go
on a bit of a wander (not in the city) but a) I'm not sure
if there's anything worth wandering to that a taxi couldn't take us to. Plus I
understand that the hire car companies don't like you leaving the state. I just want
to drive a Crown Vic if I'm being perfectly honest.

I can answer this bit with some authority. Dont bother!!

You seen the movies where there are 6 lanes of traffic not moving in the same direction? New York is famous for this.

2 years ago, I was on holiday out there (had previously lived in the states for 2 and a half years), and took my family to New York to fly home. I was then taking the rental car back to Boston and my friend was returning me to NY.

Driving into NY was easy, everything was attempting to leave!! 6 lanes solid. I thought, well its not too bad at least its all going South.

Got to hotel and attempted to go North to Boston, 200 miles. Took 7 hours. The first 90 miles was nose to tail and took over 4 hours, the next 110 miles I was moving very well.

Came back down the following morning and all was going well until about 40 miles out of NY, then we hit the traffic again.

There is a very good underground system which is clean and safe.

Enjoy it though!!
New York, New York - Group B
Car hire - I've not done so myself (was supposed to to drive up to a mates wedding in Rhode Island, but forgot to take my driving licence, had to have it FedEx'ed over!). Friends of mine did manage to hire a car (Mustang) but I dont know whether they had to pay a supplement for leaving the state?

I think the Manhattan traffic is a bit daunting, IMO you would not hire a car for the fun of driving around there, only for leaving NY to visit somewhere else, eg. Niagara. There is plenty to do just in Manhattan without going further afield. Travelling by taxi is part of the experience, the legendary yellow cabs are pretty cheap and a great way to see the city. I did not use the underground until my third visit to the place.

A friend used to live in New York so I've been quite a few times. I have visited there on a budget before and I have not been concerned about how much it was going to cost me.
Its like London you can eat for very reasonable cost, or you can spend a fortune, depending on what you want. But with the exchange rate in our favour its easy to do the former. In a lot of places you get big portions of food for modest prices.

One time I was there with a mate, we had breakfast every day in a really authentic old deli on Broadway. Our orders kept getting more and more excessive until we had 8oz rump steaks for breakfast!

You must have heard that clothes and other consumer items are cheap. Some people take a suitcase half full and fill it with new jeans and shirts.

Buy yourself a copy of the Lonely Planet guide, there is stacks of information on what to do, where to go, where to eat and drink. I have stayed near the Empire State building and its a good central location with loads of stuff within walking distance.

Just thinking about it is making me want to go again! Its an experience just to sit with a coffee in Times Square and soak up the atmosphere.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 07/10/2008 at 13:27

New York, New York - Big Bad Dave
"I just want to drive a Crown Vic"

The Crown Vic is an anti-Tardis. It's enormous on the outside, but it has a parcel shelf that's about 2 metres deep so the rear passenger cell is pokey and the taxis have a plastic barrier that further eats into your space. You Adam, being as lanky and ungainly as a Brighton Beach deckchair, might have to "fold" yourself in and out. I drove one in the late nineties, it was probably a 4.6 litre off the top of my head and the car I had at the time, a 2-litre turbo Peugeot 605 would have driven the pants off it. Having said that I love them too and it's great to be in the back of one after 10 hours of shopping. I wouldn't bother renting in New York either, wait till it's your birthday and do California.

New York's great. Where else can you sit in a bar and eat pickled eggs out of a jar? I do have some tips and suggestions but I'll email you later.
"I just want to drive a Crown Vic"

I would like to have a go in one too, although for me the Chevy Impala of about 2005 vintage looks a lot better (as seen in NYPD livery).

Yes the cabs are pretty pokey in the rear seats!

There was a dumb programme I saw on Sky a while back, where they pit vehicles from different countries against each other. They tested an NYPD Crown Victoria against a UK police Volvo V70 and the Volvo won by only a very narrow margin.
The Crown Vic had better acceleration (perhaps because it was "cop spec" as in the Blues Brothers quote, so better than a civilian model).
The only point where the Volvo was way superior was braking, the Crown Vic tested did not have ABS, but later models do have it.

;o)
New York, New York - Big Bad Dave
I haven't been for a few years now but I remember the taxis being split between Crown Vics and the Chevy Caprice. Have they been replaced by the Impala?
I remember the taxis being split
between Crown Vics and the Chevy Caprice.

Sorry I digressed a bit and was thinking appearance-wise of the Impalas, Crown Vics and Caprices used as police cars, not taxis.
No not seen any Impala taxis. Ive not been there for a couple of years either.
New York, New York - mfarrow
Adski

You will not want to leave New York! There is plenty to do there but if you want to drive please note the following:

• Hiring a car in the US except New York state incurs a young driver (under 25) surcharge of $25 per day.

• Hiring a car in the state of New York incurs a young driver surcharge of $72.99 per day if aged 18 to 20.

• Hiring a car in the state of New York incurs a young driver surcharge of $42.99 per day if aged 21 to 24.

• Add tax to all the above!

• We stayed for a week and went everywhere by the subway. Very cheap - get yourself a 7-day pass for about $20. This will take you from the airport too, though doesn't include AirTrain (which we didn't use). Print out the full colour subway map from the MTA website onto A3 before you go - the only pocket sized ones I saw were Manhattan only when we got there; it'll also tell you the operating times of each line.

Get to Heathrow on the train - megatrain.com sells advance tickets for £1 from Piccadilly though Heathrow Express is a bit expensive. Best to use the tube all the way from Euston if you have the time.

Edited by mfarrow on 07/10/2008 at 14:07

New York, New York - Lud
    I don't suppose the Checker cab exists any more. They were quite a decent size.

You may find police officers giving you cheek when you cross the road in New York. They imagine that there are some sort of nursery rules governing pedestrian behaviour whether or not there is any traffic hazard. They can be quite sullen and disagreeable about it.

My advice is to ignore anything like that. In the event that the officer persists in annoying you, a light cuff across the side of the head will usually make him realise you are an adult and not to be trifled with. Of course you will have lined up a reputable lawyer on arrival, as everyone does.

:o}
    Smoke Alarms - Armitage Shanks {p}
    I have a mains powered smoke alarm, as required by Building Regs, in my hovel. I tested it and it bleeps loudly and has a green pilot light in it meaning it is getting power, I guess. However, as an experiment, I turned off the house power at the mains and the alarm did NOT work when tested. Do these devices have a back up battery and, if so, might it have 'died' in the 13 years it has been in use? I do not want to die in a fire during a power cut! Any thoughts please?
    Smoke Alarms - FotheringtonThomas
    Yes, yes, and yes (see preceeding).
    Smoke Alarms - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
    Ours do have back up PP3 batteries. A warning beep every few minutes ,in the early hours usually , when the batteries get weak.
    Smoke Alarms - rtj70
    I would have thought they had a rechargeable battery in them. Maybe it now needs replacing.
    Smoke Alarms - L'escargot
    Our mains powered smoke alarm in the hall has a PP3 back-up battery which gets replaced every year with the highest quality battery I can find. Every other room apart from the kitchen and bathroom has a battery powered alarm and , similarly, these have the battery replaced every year.

Edited by L'escargot on 07/10/2008 at 14:32

Smoke Alarms - Stuartli
    Our Fire Brigade (Merseyside) provides new smoke alarms and replacement batteries free of charge and the firemen turn up in a big red fire engine to do the work (we do, in fact, buy the batteries ourselves)...:-)

They first fitted smoke alarms for us and many of our neighbours several years ago and, last year, returned to replace them with the very latest models.

The firemen will also carry out a fire safety check of your property if required; sensible, as prevention is better than cure.
    Smoke Alarms - Armitage Shanks {p}
    I recognise the names of the usual helpful people (above) - thanks. My alarm has a non-replaceable built in battery which has died so I need a new alarm. Some have built in batteries and some have replaceable back ups, usually PP3s. I shall be off to Homebase, B&Q or somewhere. My thanks as always for prompt and informed comments!