What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 245 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 246 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 245. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/08/2008 at 14:56

Worms for compost bunker/heap - L'escargot
We have a brick-surround compost bunker on a concrete base, which I know is not the best type of base to have but it came with the property. I'm just starting off a new heap from scratch (i.e. from a clean bunker) and I want to introduce worms into it. I know you can buy worms on t'internet (from Wiggly Wigglers) but I'd like to get some locally. Are fishing worms any good for this purpose?
Worms for compost bunker/heap - daveyjp
Dig a few holes in the garden and you'll find them. If you have a lawn pour a bucket of soapy water on it. Within a few minutes you will have plenty of worms coming to the surface.

Edited by daveyjp on 22/08/2008 at 10:26

Worms for compost bunker/heap - borasport20
www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html

says
'C. WORMS
The two types of earthworm best suited to worm composting are the redworms: Eisenia foetida (commonly known as red wiggler, brandling, or manure worm) and Lumbricus rubellus They are often found in aged manure and compost heaps. Please do not use dew-worms (large size worms found in soil and compost) as they are not likely to survive. '

and I have seen it suggested elsewhere that common or garden earthworms will not do well in the heat of a proper compost heap, so shifting them from the lawn to the compost might be a waste of time,effort and worms !
Worms for compost bunker/heap - Mapmaker
Don't put your earthworms in. The little red worms that do the job for you will miraculously appear, as if from nowhere. Bet you a pint of engine oil.
Worms for compost bunker/heap - L'escargot
Thanks Mapmaker. There were certainly plenty of red worms present in the heap when we moved here, and I don't suppose for a minute that they had been put there by the previous owners. I'll wait and see what happens. (I knew I'd be able to worm the required information out of someone!)
Recipe measures/conversion - borasport20
I have an American recipe that calls for 3 cups of flour
Can anybody convert that to something discrete for me before I spiral into a rant about the meaninglessness of measures such as 'cup', 'glass' and 'portion'
ta
Recipe measures/conversion - Altea Ego
1 cup = 4oz flour approx, portion is anywhere between 75 - 150g, (if its a yank recipe make that 5 kilos the fat b's) glass = up to 25cl.
Recipe measures/conversion - Stuartli
Not as straightforward as it seems apparently:

uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2008071910...C

(TINYurl website down at present).

Edited by Stuartli on 22/08/2008 at 11:42

Haha....

St Delia of the Dinner Party has the answer - so a 'cup' is a measure of weight, not volume, and differs according to what your measuring ?

www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/conversions/#Am...s
Recipe measures/conversion - Stuartli
According to this link I found this morning (I couldn't post the actual page due to TINYurl not functioning for the moment), it's both:

www.tafn.org.uk/kitchen/cookery2.htm#Contents:

Then click on the British to American Conversions link.

PS

I've just noticed that the "link", in fact, goes to a section on the same page, so there was no need for a TINYurl...:-(
Recipe measures/conversion - David Horn
Type it straight into Google:

eg: "3 cups in litres".

It spits out the correct answer.
It spits out the correct answer.

if only.

but the recipe does ask for 1 and 5/8ths cups of water. What is so, so wrong with expressing it as cc or fl. oz. ?
Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? - Armitage Shanks {p}
My partner, who lives in Bracknell, has just bought a bird feeder; tall metal pole and hanging points for nut and seed feeders etc. She and I saw a grey squirrel on it the other day and we have greased the pole to prevent further attacks. 2 days ago we saw a totally different squirrel up on the feeder and I am wondering of anyone can identify it? It looked quite a lot larger that a conventional grey and was a much darker colour, however it was not a black squirrel SFAIK. It appeared to have a patch of red on it, at the base of its tail. All in all a bit of mystery; it was only about 30ft away but wasn't there for very long so that is the best description I can come up with. Perhaps some Xbreed of grey and black?
Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? - Alby Back
Rare indeed AS. If it is what I think it is. There is a very rare breed called the "Andalucian Charcoal". They are indeed larger and can have random red markings. Thought to be extinct having been persecuted for the hat trade in their native country a breeding pair were found and brought to a private zoo in Leicestershire in the '70s. Some of the progeny escaped but sightings have been rare and unconfirmed. Often mistaken for cats in the past due to their general size. Quite a delicacy in their time often served with baked tomatoes stuffed with onions and breadcrumbs.
Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks HB! Your comments cheered up a dismal graveyard shift in my local horsepiddle! A bit like Manuel's famous "Filligree Russian Hamster" ie a rat! Remember?
Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? - Alby Back
What ? You mean you have not heard of the Andalucian Charcoal ? Quite well known in some circles. I am in fact treasurer of their protection society. Happy to provide details of where donations may be sent.........

;-)
Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? - jbif
Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? ... Perhaps some Xbreed of grey and black?

Probably.

www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Latest-News/Mutant-b...l

Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? - Martin Devon
Two years ago I clearly saw a Red squirrel on the road adjacent to my rural house in North Devon. Nobody believes it but it is true nevertheless. Last week in our garden a Grey with a red face appeared on the bird feeder. Can anyone explain that one??
Strange 'Grey' Squirrel. Mutation? - cheddar
Last week in our garden a Grey with a red face appeared on the bird feeder. Can
anyone explain that one??

He was probably embarrased about something ;)
Pension query - help! - JH
Hi,
I've tried to research this question on the web but I could feel my brain turning to mush, so, please can anyone advise?

My final salary pension ended earlier this year and a money purchase scheme was introduced. I have received a statement of the value of my final salary scheme and the numbers are as expected except for widow's pension and widow's pension five years after death. The former figure is the same as in last year's statement and the latter figure substantially lower. I'm not planning on popping my clogs any time soon but, needless to say, this is bothering me. I haven't really been given an answer, just a spreadsheet. This seems to say that my maximum pension permitted by the tax man is two thirds of salary multiplied by years of service and divided by possible years of service had the scheme not ended!

I'm aware that there is a limit of 2/3 of pensionable salary but I have never heard of the the other limitation. Is this correct or are they having me on? I'm sorry to say that they seem a pretty incompetent bunch and I've been able to rely on an error in the statement of some kind year after year.

Many thanks,
JH
Pension query - help! - hxj

Sort of but not quite.

There are limits for a final salary scheme as far as HMRC go. These are an overriding limit of maximum pension (before any lump sum) of 2/3 of pensionable pay.

There is also a limit on the rate that the pension accrues, the common limits are 1/40th, 1/50th and 1/60th.

In say a 1/60th scheme you accrue 1/60th of your pensionable pay for every year of service, so if you serve 40 years you then get a 2/3 pension (the maximum allowable), if you serve 20 years you get 20/60ths or a 1/3 pension.

The fraction is usually agreed with HMRC on commencement of the scheme and forms part of the scheme rules.

Similarly with the Widows pension the amounts are agreed between the Employer and HMRC on commencement and again form part of the scheme rules.

I suspect that you are dealing with the administrator. You should also have independent or "Pensioner" trustees on the scheme, I would write directly to them and ask them to explain the position.
Thanks HXJ, I'm familiar with the rules as you describe them - you need to be with our administrators - and I've never heard of any such reduction as is being applied. I'll take it up with the trustees as well as challenging the arithmetic with the administrators.

JH
Pension query - help! - L'escargot
If you want to maximise your pension at retirement, i.e. get the maximum as allowed by HMRC rules, you may well be advised to consult an independent pensions expert. Now that your scheme has changed your final pension will be more complicated.

For example, as hjx said, HMRC rules are applied to your final pensionable salary, which may well not be your actual salary. Pensionable salary is usually defined by your pension scheme, not HMRC. In my case my pensionable salary was a ?sliced? amount of my actual salary ~ it was the average of the highest two of the final five years actual salary less amounts equal to the single persons state old age pension for the years considered. To get my full entitlement I even had to point out to the administrators that they should include my 3 month?s salary in lieu of notice. (I took advantage of voluntary redundancy to retire early.)

You may find that your company pension scheme(s) on their own may not automatically give you the HMRC maximum (in fact very few people get the HMRC maximum) even if you work for 40 years or whatever, and you may wish to consider increasing your contributions by some means. If you become overfunded the excess will be returned less tax.

If you do maximise your pension you may then wish to consider any effect it may have on your income tax viz-a-viz the age allowance.

Edited by L'escargot on 25/08/2008 at 10:33

Further to my previous post, you may find this HMRC website informative. tinyurl.com/6kn8d8
Thanks L (and HXJ) but my query is specifically about the reduction, allegedly due to tax regulations, from 2/3 to 2/3 multiplied by actual service and divided by potential service if the scheme had not closed.

I have not found any evidence that such a ruling exists and will query it with the adminstrators and the trustees. Your link adds further weight to my feeling that it's just been "made up". Sadly, the adminstrators can be relied upon to make an error every year, so I have made sure that I am capable of calculating the numbers myself. I'm hoping that this is another error and not a tax regulation of which I am unaware!

Thanks,
JH
....... my query is specifically about the reduction allegedly due to
tax regulations from 2/3 to 2/3 multiplied by actual service and divided by potential service
if the scheme had not closed.

Unless the HMRC rules have changed drastically since I retired 6 years ago the maximum allowable pension you can receive (as a percentage of your pensionable salary) does indeed depend on your actual service in the scheme compared with your potential service. To get it straight from the horse's mouth you need to contact your branch of HMRC and ask for a booklet on the subject. HMRC are the definitive authority. Booklets are free. I've no doubt the information you need is in the HMRC website I recommended (tinyurl.com/6kn8d8), although so far I've been unable to find it.

I've just discovered that the HMRC rules changed on 6th April 2006, and I've decided that I just don't understand much about the subject any more. tinyurl.com/6o77ao
How to Colour A Wooden Fence? - pete&hisgolf
I've had a fence built in my garden out of a tanalised light-coloured wood. I've just painted it with 2 coats of Cuprinol 'Natural Cedar' decking oil, and it's come out in a kind of weird orange/bronze colour. Any suggestions as to how I can get it to be a less offensive colour?

Also, I am having some decking built. I don't want to make the same mistake twice - any suggestions for how to colour decking so it actually matches the colour displayed on the B&Q sample?

Thanks
How to Colour A Wooden Fence? - Dog
Stick some Sadolin Classic Antique Pine on the fence (nice colour) dunno about the decking though, could use Sadolin I suppose ~ tinyurl.com/4uzecx
How to Colour A Wooden Fence? - legacylad
Consider Sikkens. I use it on all my external timber. Expensive but damn good.
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - wotspur
Took my 6.5 yr old son on a train today, typically he was asking loads of questions, 1 I didn't know the reason and I said I'd find out.
Why between the tracks are there stones ??
I said it was to dampen the noise, a friend added to stop weeds growing (couldn't see that) but any definative answers gladly welcomed
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - Armitage Shanks {p}
You have pretty well got it right already!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_ballast
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - Pugugly
Re-kindles early memories of crossing railways to get to a beach in Deganwy in Wales. All the discarded cinders amongst the stone, I now remember seeing steam trains along that particular track ad the older family members predicting the end of civilization as we know it when the diesels came along.It truly never seemed to rain either...
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - daveyjp
Ballast also aids drainage and provides a larger surface area for water to evaporate from. Same concept as putting chippings in a flat roof.
I never knew that about the flat roof !
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - Martin Devon
I never knew that about the flat roof !

The chippings on a flat roof are to prevent the sun from burning the felt.

MD
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - Baskerville
>> I never knew that about the flat roof !
>>
The chippings on a flat roof are to prevent the sun from burning the felt.

Once upon a time maybe, but modern felts are made of clever stuff and don't melt at sunshine temperatures. Lots of houses in the US use felt or felt shingle shingle roofs of one kind or another and no chippings. The felt roof of the school I can see from my back bedroom window has no chippings on it and has been there at least a decade. Felts come in lots of nice colours too, so not meant for covering with chippings. Chippings are a fireproofing material, for when your neighbour's house burns down and bits of burning timber fall on it. No it won't work of course, but felt spec sheets tend to make it part of the fire rating.
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - Mapmaker
Chippings can:

prevent hail damage

hold down the felt to prevent blistering

protect old-fashioned ashphalt roofing

provide insulation
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - Altea Ego
Concrete sleepers were introduced* after my fathers fireman accidently dropped the contents of the firebox and set fire to 2 miles of track before coasting to a halt. Apparently the tar soaked sleepers take some putting out.

(*it may have been co-incidental tho)
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - AlastairW
Apparently the tar soaked sleepers take some putting out.

And for that reason old sleepers make very good firewood, IME.
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - mfarrow
Weed killer stops weeds growing - hence the general build-up on sidings and other under-used tracks. The oil doesn't help them grow much either!

Wooden sleepers were replaced with concretes when it became practical to use automated on-track machines to replace sleepers. Wooden sleepers are a two-navvy affair whereas concrete sleepers require about 8 men, and would be very cumbersome. The old wooden type still have their uses, though. To complement the dampening effects of ballast, wooden sleepers are used to reduce the risk of damage to some bridges (generally where the ballast depth is low). The alternative is to use hollow steel sleepers, but these require a 'transition' of wooden sleepers to get back to concretes, so there's generally no point.
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - billy25
hollow steel sleepers, <<

The whole of the "West Coast Line" (Cumbria) is currently being "upgraded" to these from Concrete, so they must have certain properties that are advantageous over the "other" two types of sleeper - unless of course they are really only fit for "little used rural lines or goods sidings, in which case they are a down-grade! ;-(

Billy
Probably cheaper - great until they get nicked for the scrap value that is.
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - ifithelps
>>.. nicked for the scrap value that is...>>

A manager at the Tyne and Wear Metro tells me they "can't replace trackside fencing fast enough" for the same reason.

Durham County Council said last week they were still losing manhole/drain covers, although I understand the replacements have no scrap value.
questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - pmh
"can't replace trackside fencing fast enough"

Why replace it? The french leave much of their track open - only the TGV is comprehensively fenced.

On the basis that the people who nick the fence are likely to be those who play on the track when younger, leaving the fence open can solve 2 problems at a stroke (and probably a few others as well!).

pmh

Edited by pmh on 25/08/2008 at 17:17

questions kids ask !! that we don't know answer 2 - mfarrow
The whole of the "West Coast Line" (Cumbria) is currently being "upgraded" to these

The main advantage is, as Pugugly rightly states, they are cheaper. Whether they're any easier to nick is unlikely - I certainly wouldn't want to try and dig them out. It would take about 1/2 hour at least per sleeper with 4+ men, jack, clip remover; barely worth it for the amount of steel in them.

The 'hollow' part basically means that the cross-section is an 'n' shape, so you need a lower effective depth of ballast to achieve the same damping. Hence they're much better than concrete in this respect and require the in-between damping effect of wood to transition onto them.

The main disadvantage is that steel's conductive, so can cause more track circuit problems - not a problem if they're upgrading the signalling in Cumbria and putting in axle counters. It must be a northern thing as the rest of the WCML is definately having new concretes.
Posting secure item to Argentina - bathtub tom
My daughter's had her debit card nicked. She's arranged for a new one to be sent to my address, and asked me to post it on to her in S. America.
Has anyone any experience of sending secure items to Argentina, and any advice on what service to use would be appreciated?

ps. She's in the first week a a five month tour, and already lost her personal banking twelve digit code. SWMBO is in danger of turning into a white haired alcoholic!
Posting secure item to Argentina - oldnotbold
Your best bet would be a professional courier service such as DHL or Fedex. Put it inside a stiff-backed envelope such as used for photographs.
Posting secure item to Argentina - bathtub tom
Thanks for that.

I've looked at their websites. I'll send her the links, and let her decide how much she wants to owe me when she gets back!
Unrequested direct debit - David Horn
Hi all,

When checking back on the state of my bank account from the UK I discovered a direct debit to Virgin Media for £37/month, which has been running for about 3 months. I used to pay for internet access in Leeds, and I wonder if someone has moved into a house I lived in and simply reactivated the cable subscription under my name. Equally, it could be Virgin's incompetence or someone trying it on with my account.

I can't get through to Virgin (been on hold for over 30 minutes now at international call rates), but the bank say they won't cancel the direct debit. The direct debit page says I can. Is it worth calling bank and trying to force the issue?
Unrequested direct debit - crunch_time
If you have online access to your bank account you should be able to log on and cancel any direct debit.

Argh. My finances are a bit sloppy - I check my statements for big purchases but this slipped me by.

In June last year someone reactivated the direct debit for £37/month and I didn't notice. Then June this year it got activated again and I did notice, but getting hold of Virgin is going to be a nightmare. Damn it. I can think of better things to do with my time.

Update: the bank wouldn't cancel the DD. I need to talk to Virgin Media first, apparently, which is great when they don't answer the phone.
Update 2:

I found a different phone number for Virgin and called them this evening. Answered the phone straight away, told me that they spotted the problem last week at about the same time that I did and have sorted it out.

Cheque is in the post with an apology.
Unrequested direct debit - jbif
Update: the bank wouldn't cancel the DD. I need to talk to Virgin Media first, apparently, which is great when they don't answer the phone.

Load of nonsense. see
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m
I found a different phone number for Virgin and called them this evening

Good to know your problem is sorted. For future reference of anyone else experiencing problems:
Virgin-Media's website provides a link for customer complaints and escalation procedure, including a promise to respond to emails within 2 days. There are various forums relating to Virgin-Media where you can find information on getting through to the right person.

Any historians out there? - Jane
Greetings!

A friend randomly asked me today if I knew who announces, on the death of a monarch:

"The Queen/King is dead, long live the Queen/King"

Is there an official 'announcer' whose sole purpose in life is to break the news or is it just anyone who happens to be in the vicinity?

I have absolutely no idea and have trawled through countless websites searching for the answer but to no avail and now I want to know to!

Any ideas?

Any historians out there? - drbe
Just a guess mind, but here goes.

No one.

It is either a bit of folklore - or - it dates back to the days before t'internet; television; telephones or radio.

If you think back, how would they communicate the fact that the monarch was dead to the seething masses?

I was at school when George VI died and I have no recollection of anyone announcing "The King is dead, long live the Queen"

Any historians out there? - Altea Ego
there WAS a bbc announcer roster for those who were deemed serious and sober enough and access to a dinner jacket to be the one who annoucned the passing of the current monarch.

Now the BBC (and probably other news orgs) have an annualy revised project plan for this "news event"

I understand the procedure is

Palace press office > PM then Palace press office > news media if cleared by PM.
Any historians out there? - jbif
.... have trawled through countless websites

Try these:
Official UK Royal website: www.royal.gov.uk/output/page2030.asp
"The succession of a monarch is often said to take place in a heartbeat. The moment that a reigning king or queen dies is the moment that their successor accedes. This helps explain the phrase: 'The King is dead, long live the King', which refers both to the dead and succeeding kings. "

or Wikipedia - not guaranteed to be accurate
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_is_dead._Long_live_...g
"The original phrase was translated from the French Le Roi est mort. Vive le Roi!, which was first declared upon the coronation of Charles VII following the death of his father Charles VI in 1422. In France, the declaration was traditionally made by the Duc d'Uzès, a senior Peer of France, as soon as the coffin containing the remains of the previous king descended into the vault of Saint Denis Basilica. The phrase arose from the law of le mort saisit le vif?that the transfer of sovereignty occurs instantaneously upon the moment of death of the previous monarch.
At the time, French was the primary language of aristocrats in England, and the proclamation was quickly taken up as ideally representing the same tradition ? which in England dates back to 1272, when Henry III died while his son, Edward I, was fighting in the Crusades. To avoid any chance of a civil war erupting over the order of succession, the Royal Council proclaimed "The throne shall never be empty; the country shall never be without a monarch." Thus, Edward was declared king immediately, and he ruled in absentia until news of his father's death reached him and he returned to England."

or even Shakespeare:
www.britaininprint.net/shakespeare/study_tools/kin...l
"The phrase: The King is dead, long live the King, was a poignant declaration of the perpetual nature of kingship and was first introduced into English royal funerals with the Tudors. [4] This understanding of the transference of power from king to king helps to explain Hamlet?s enigmatic lines, ?The body is with the king, but the king is not with the body. "

Any historians out there? - Stuartli
In the case of BBC News, Sky News, CNN etc it will presumably be the presenters currently on duty or, perhaps, they will state that the channel's Royal correspondent has an important statement to make.

However, any such event is likely to be foreseen in advance, unless it's a sudden death.

Every news presenter prays that he/she will be involved in any major breaking story, no matter what type - the chance to cover such an event "on the fly" as it were, is a genuine adrenaline surge...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 27/08/2008 at 14:20

Wii fit - BobbyG
For those who are now getting out their cars (motoring link) and want to get fitter before walking / cycling....

OK, if, like my family you have been trying to find these anywhere, I just got one through Argos. They are not available in shops, according to web they are not available for home delivery, but if you phone the home delivery number they have them in stock and will deliver....

Sorry mods...... - its a public information message :)

I assume by the time the mods pull this, Argos may be sold out.........
Wii fit - rtj70
But be careful with the Wii fit. I know someone who put their back out hula-hooping on one. He was in serious pain!
Wii fit - tawse
I bought one of these about two months ago and they are superb. I feel a bit guilty because I had been listening people trying to get hold of them for months and then I got one in about 24 hours.

I simply signed up for a Wii Fit stock alert website and got regular alerts throughout the day from which stores had them in. I let a dozen or so alerts pass before I even bothered ordering but they are tremendous fun and I can understand why older people are getting them. The tennis is a hoot and a good workout as is the baseball and boxing but I love the snowboarding and have started doing yoga which is really, really good.

Wii fit - Dipstick
Am I right in thinking you pay about £100 for this and then you need a Wii console as well, making it megabucks (for me) or is it all you need as it stands?

Wii fit - cheddar
The tennis is a hoot and a good workout as is the baseball and boxing but I love the snowboarding and have started doing yoga which is really really good.

I think I have said this before on here though I dont see the point, I can play tennis, go to the gym even go snowboarding - the real thing, all within reach.

Though the PS3 allows me to drive an F1 car around Spa, a MotoGP bike around Laguna Seca, invade Omaha beach, fly a Spitfire etc ....

Wii fit - Pugugly
Cheddar had a closer motoring link - why not post it in IHAQ though ?
Repairing a flap valve cistern - bathtub tom
Er, this is a bit embarrassing.

bathtub tom is an anagram (sort of), OK?

One of my daughters has got a problem with a modern flap valve type lavatory cistern. She says "The toilet won't flush unless we hold the button down for ages", and I can't even remove the top cover.

Any suggestions?

IT'S AN ANAGRAM.
Repairing a flap valve cistern - billy25
do it yourself guide here!

tinyurl.com/6gjgvm

also ran Bathtub Tom through a few Anagram solvers - but nothing jumped out at me!?????

Billy

Repairing a flap valve cistern - henry k
do it yourself guide here!

This procedure is OK for most but not all.
The last one I attempted, to my amazement, had a non replaceable flap so it was a whole new syphon.
I think flap valve should have read:

Push button flap flush. Shows how little I know about plumbing!

I still can't get the top off!
Repairing a flap valve cistern - billy25
>>I still can't get the top off!

is it the type that the push-button comes out through the centre of the top?- if so have you tried unscrewing the button?
The insides of the cistern are "usually" the same syphon-type, the push-button simply relaces the side-mounted lever-press, but they both work by rotating a bar which opens the valve.
why cant you get the top off? cant you see what is actually fastening it? it maybe that it is a rear fastener, in which case you may have to slacken the wall mounts slightly and move it gently away from the wall to expose the lid fastner. (drain cistern first!)

>>Shows how little I know about Anagrams!

I still can't get the jist of it!!

p.s just found this!

www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Pushbutton.htm

Edited by billy25 on 27/08/2008 at 18:39

Repairing a flap valve cistern - buzbee
As a DIY person I have repaired a few of the flap valve type diaphragms referred to by the link. The plastic material, used commercially in the few ones I have experience of, has been of very poor quality which has split after a couple of years or so of use.

Out of choice I would have repaired with 1.5 - 2mm thick neoprene sheet but such material was not to hand at the times. So I have used other materials. The last time was about 6 months ago when I made use of two thicknesses of pool liner. I have yet to find how long that will go before splitting.

I found it easy to place the old diaphragm on a sheet of something, draw round it, and make a cut-out to the same size.
Thanks Billy.

That's the type.

I couldn't get that site to open earlier.

Now I've given the beast the right name, I've found this:

"If it is a dual flush one, so there will be one large button and one small one you remove it by pushing and holding down the large button whilst wiggling the smaller one. The smaller one will then pull out with your fingers then remove the bigger one.
There will then be a screw that needs removing before you can remove the outer ring or cistern lid."

Blindingly obvious!

Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - henry k
While plumbing is back on the agenda :-

I was talking to an unhappy former colleague the other day.
Unhappy because of some significant water damage had been caused since some plastic plumbing had been installed.

A mouse had chewed one of the pipes causing a flood.
( I had previously heard of the possibility but now I know it as fact.)

She is now into months of drying out with dehumidifiers etc.
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - Pugugly
Ah well - Something else to stop me sleeping !
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - Alby Back
Confusedous he say -

"Only man with cat flap is worthy to have plastic plumbing"
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - Altea Ego
Wont have it in the house under any circumstances. Only for waste pipes. Fo rthe rest - copper or nothing
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - Alby Back
While your preference is understandable AE, it does also depend on where your house is. When we lived in rural Scotland we were over 1000ft above sea level. There was no gas supply and winter power cuts were not unusual. Some winters the temperture would drop regularly into double minus figures. Oil fired heating still requires electricity to drive the pump and houses could get very cold very quickly.

Those who had copper piping had numerous burst pipe problems whereas those with plastic pipes often escaped unscathed.

I think it was in Feb / March 2000 when we were cut off from the outside world for 10 days without heat or light or any means of getting food supplies. Had we not had water either I'm not sure we would have coped.

For a motoring trivia link, in those days I had a Ford Galaxy. The snow was drifted so deep that it literally disappeared for a week. Our house was on three floors and the snow level reached the bottom of the middle floor windows.

We now live in Cheshire so this is less likely to happen.
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - Mapmaker
For the rest - copper or nothing

The copper I understand. I am bemused by the "nothing" though.

Edited to add: I take it you do not have flexible pipes attaching your taps to the water system?

Edited by Mapmaker on 28/08/2008 at 11:23

Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - Altea Ego
As soon as you said freezing cold, I understood the argument for plastic pipe. Not required in my locale

MM

nothing means exactly that - no water pipe and no water unless its copper

Re flexible pipes to taps? no. I can cut and join copper pipe to the required length and shape so I dont need them. Wasnt required in the old days, isnt required now.

The only flexible pipes are those to dishwasher, washing machine and shower head.,
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - daveyjp
The OP could be in a worse position. A new flats development in Leeds has been found to have plastic pipework for all the internal gas supplies.

I wonder which Clerk of Works and Corgi installer will be out of a job for that one?
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - FotheringtonThomas
Edited to add: I take it you do not have flexible pipes attaching your taps
to the water system?

I don't know why people use these things.
Plastic water pipes. An unhappy tale. - Mapmaker
I do know why people use these things.

Bit like plastic pipes. Doddle to fit. Save time, effort and money.
Orange Phone Network - 1471? - Dynamic Dave
Calling 1471 on O2 & Vodafone works in the same way as a landline.

Does anyone know if Orange has a similar number to see who was the last person that called?
Orange Phone Network - 1471? - Adam {P}
Just rung 1471 on my phone and it said "The last dialled facility cannot be accessed on Orange using 1471. However, if your phone supports caller ID, you can use the "Last Received Call" facility on your handset. Beep Beep Beep."

Sorry - last received call not last dialled.
Orange Phone Network - 1471? - daveyjp
Both my mobiles (one on Vodaphone, one on Virgin) have recent call lists - both incoming and outgoing calls so I would never need to dial 1471.
I was wondering why he'd need to do it Davey but I didn't want to ask.

He's knocking on a bit now; you have to make exceptions.
Orange Phone Network - 1471? - rtj70
I too thought all mobiles had a log of recent calls so you could just look at that. You'd see last dialled, received and missed.
Orange Phone Network - 1471? - Clk Sec
There?s a facility on my Orange Panasonic to view both answered and missed calls. Just hit the call key and navigate left or right.

Clk Sec
Orange Phone Network - 1471? - Dynamic Dave
I too thought all mobiles had a log of recent calls so you could just
look at that. You'd see last dialled received and missed.

Not however if the phone is turned off, which is why it's sometimes handy to dial 1471 to see who last called.

Anyhow, I've since discovered via the answerphone number (123) you can turn on/off an option where you are sent a txt message of what numbers have called you when you're either out of network coverage or the phone was switched off - and it even mentions whether they left a voicemail or not.

Thanks all.

ps, I see you haven't found the edit key yet Adam. I can't be the only one knocking on a bit ;o)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/08/2008 at 19:43

Orange Phone Network - 1471? - rtj70
"Not however if the phone is turned off, which is why it's sometimes handy to dial 1471 to see who last called."

Oh good point/thought.

So here is a very sneaky tip if you are on Vodafone and want to leave somone also on Vodafone a voicemail without them having a chance to answer, i.e. you get to leave them a voicemail immediately without their phone ringing.....

Here goes: dial 121 + the Vodafone mobile number

e.g. 12107890123456

Can be useful for work ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 29/08/2008 at 23:07

>>ps, I see you haven't found the edit key yet Adam. I can't be the only one knocking on a bit ;o)<<

Actually Gramps, I know full well there's an edit button. I'm not using it out of protest! You won't see me editing anything on here. Ohhhhh no!

EDIT: Other than to say, I'm very very hungry.

Edited by Adam {P} on 30/08/2008 at 11:00

Google Earth question - borasport20
is there a way of going faster when doing a fly-through of a route ?
At this rate, viewing next weeks trip down to Cornwall will take longer than the drive itself !
Google Earth question - FotheringtonThomas
Connection speed issue?

I've just been to Cornwall, and came back with a sun tan!
Google Earth question - daveyjp
Tools>Options>Touring>Tourspeed

OR go to flightsim mode and see how quickly you could get there if you could fly!!

Edited by daveyjp on 29/08/2008 at 16:00

Google Earth question - borasport20
davey - that sets the speed for the whole journey - I'm looking for some way to speed up on the boring bits and slow down to look at the junctions etc
Google Earth question - Dog
>>>I've just been to Cornwall, and came back with a sun tan!<<<

Sun ... in Cornwall ??? gimme a break ! unless you meant cornwall ~ www.cornwallct.org/
Google Earth question - jbif
.... viewing next weeks trip down to Cornwall ...

alternatively, try
www.holidayautos.co.uk/route-planner/
" To drive through your route click "route flight" and press the play button. Whilst driving through your route clicking the "3d-view" or "zoom" to toggle with your viewpoint. "