What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 244 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 245 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 244. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/08/2008 at 01:33

Tax question - self employment (2) - cheddar
Another one for Mapmaker.

To use my previous hypothetical scenario. X starts a new business and puts - say - £1000 capital into its bank account then 6 months later injects another £1000 and draw - say - £1000 per month, having made - say - a net profit of £15000 then this shows in the Capital Account as:

Start of period £1000
Net profit £15000
Capital introduced £1000
Drawings £12000

Balance £5000

Now if the £2000 capital was from X+Ys joint savings, i.e. it was not X's alone, then could it constitute a loan to X's business so therfore could be offset against tax? In effect £2000 of the drawings could perhaps be deemed as repaying the loan as opposed to drawings?

Again, does this make any sense?

Thanks.
Tax question - self employment (2) - Mapmaker
>Does this make sense

I see what you say, but no it does not.

Repayment of capital is repayment of capital. It is a loan from X&Y to X's business. Now as previously related, X is X, so X has not actually lent himself some money. Y however has lent X some money. So interest could be charged on this. This interest would be tax deductible for X, and taxable on Y.

Only any point in this if Y (Mrs X, I guess) pays tax at a lower marginal rate than does X.
Thanks M,

Though the loan could be interest free to be repayed in full within 12 months?

Or are you saying that it is only interest that can be offset against tax, not the loan itself?

Tax question - self employment (2) - AlastairW
Or are you saying that it is only interest that can be offset against tax, not the loan itself?

In a nutshell, yes.
Or are you saying that it is only interest that can be offset against tax
not the loan itself?
In a nutshell yes.

Thanks.

However even if the loan is interest free the need to repay it could be the difference between profit, and therefore tax liability, or loss and no tax liability - couldn't it?

>>However even if the loan is interest free the need to repay it could be the difference
>>between profit, and therefore tax liability, or loss and no tax liability - couldn't it?

No. It may be the difference between positive cashflow, and negative cashflow. But it's just cash, not profit.

If you borrow 1,000 from the bank, you don't get taxed on it as profit... so if you repay 1,000 that you borrowed from the bank (or from Y) you don't get tax relief on the payment.

If you borrow 1 000 from the bank you don't get taxed on it as
profit... so if you repay 1 000 that you borrowed from the bank (or from
Y) you don't get tax relief on the payment.

Thanks again M, I see what you mean however say you generate, £1000 profit, this is taxable, if this is then used to repay a £1000 loan then there is no taxable profit?

I am not saying that you should get tax relief on the payment, rather that the need to repay the loan as a cost to the business effects the taxable profit - surely?

Thanks.
>>I am not saying that you should get tax relief on the payment, rather that the need
>>to repay the loan as a cost to the business affects the taxable profit - surely?

It's the same thing. If it affects the taxable profit, then you're getting tax relief!

I think it's time you found yourself an accountant to prepare your tax returns. It will save you money

In your scenario: you borrow £1,000 from the bank; you buy £1,000 of widgets which you sell for £2,000. Clearly you have a profit of £1,000 - but cash of £2,000.

So if you repay the bank the £1,000 they lent to you, what is your taxable profit?
>>I am not saying that you should get tax relief on the payment rather that
the need to repay the loan as a cost to the business affects the taxable profit -
surely?
It's the same thing. If it affects the taxable profit then you're getting tax relief!

That's fine, as kinda I thought then, thanks.

In your scenario .... So if you repay the bank the £1,000 they lent to you, what is your taxable profit?

>>

£1000.

So if you start of with £1000 capital and borrow £1000 from the bank, you then buy £1000 of widget material and £1000 on a widget maker* and sell widgets for £3000. You have a profit of £1000. If you then have to repay the £1000 borrowed you have £0 profit ?

*I know about Capital Allowances, it is the effect of the loan repayment that is the confusion. If it is loan interest being repaid it sits under Expenses in P&L and the loan capital sits as a Liability though if it is the loan capital that is repaid then does that sit in Expences or the Capital Account? Cant see how it can be the latter using previous scenarios.

Thanks again :)

PS: Re accountant, I have had conflicting advice, interesting to get other views. much appreciated.

Edited by cheddar on 14/08/2008 at 18:58

Tax question - self employment (2) - jbif
cheddar,
Instead of thinking of Capital in £, use some imaginary means, call it wonga or whatever you like. The wonga is there to enable you to spend £ and earn £.
If you have to pay £ interest to borrow that wonga, the £ interest is a cost to the business.
If the wonga is an interest free loan, there is no cost.

At some point you just pay back the wonga to whoever gave it to you.

Thanks jbif, I understand the principals though it does not - quite - address the question:

To put it another way:

Very simplistically - say the bank balance is 1000 comprising the nett profit of 1000, then the loan capital of 1000 is repaid from the bank balance taking it to zero.

Is the nett profit then still declared as 1000 despite the current assets being zero ?

Thanks.

>>PS: Re accountant, I have had conflicting advice, interesting to get other views. much appreciated.

You are working yourself into a state of confusion. That's why I think you should employ one for the first year. Following that you can follow what he did.

>>£1,000

Yes, indeed!

>>In your scenario

"you have £0 profit".

[Forget capital allowances and depreciation for a moment; but see below.]

NO! It is correct to say that you have £0 CASH. But you do have profit of £1,000 - which is tied up in your widget maker.

To think of it another way, when you started out, you had £1,000 cash. Now you have £1,000 cash and a WIDGET MAKER. This latter represents your profit.

So of course you have to pay tax on your profit. As Mr Darling doesn't really want 20% of a widget maker, he charges you £200.

Next year when you buy £1,000 of widget material, you won't have to buy a widget maker, so the £1,000 profit will be pure profit to spend on wine, women and £200 tax (plus the £200 tax arising from the previous year, which you had to borrow from the bank).

Now, your widget maker has a life of 5 years. So you need to allocate depreciation of £200 per annum to your profits. This is just an accounting trick, as it allows you to say to your wife, "darling, I actually only made £800... because I have to allow for the cost of the widget maker, so you can only spend £800 on handbags"

Equally, Mr Darling is happy to give you tax relief on the cost of the widget maker. He does this by allowing you a 20% per annum deduction for tax purposes on a reducing balance basis. Simpler than it sounds.

Year 1. Cost 1,000; 20% = £200; remaining balance £800
Year 2. Opening balance £800; 20% = £160 relieved against profits for tax; remaining balance £640.
Year 3. Opening balance £640; 20% = £128 relieved against profits for tax... etc. etc.

However... under new rules, because you are spending under £50,000 on your widget maker, you in fact get 100% tax relief in the first year.

THEREFORE, in fact, YES! You do indeed pay no tax in your first year, for your tax computation looks like this:

1,000 Profit before depreciation
(1,000) Capital allowances
nil Taxable profit.

HTH
Thanks M, all very helpful.
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - Clk Sec
Worth trying ordinary household salt -

What would be your mix for an effective general weedkiller, ifithelps?

Clk Sec
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - Fullchat
Vinegar is supposed to do the trick. Prefer it on a nice portion of fish and chips though :-)
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - FotheringtonThomas
To butt in, for persistant general weedkiller - sodium chlorate, however be very careful of runoff; for general killing of *growing* plants, a glyphosphate weedkiller such as Roundup Biactive (360 g/l glyphosate), at a rate of 25ml/1L/50sqm - it's difficult for many users to eke out 1L for this area, so dilute it further if this is the case (apply it to the same area, of course). It will "do in" any green plant actively growing, IME.
I read that again, it looks a bit confusing. For clarity, 25ml of Roundup Biactive (concentration in bottle=360 g/l glyphosate) in one litre of water treats 50 sq metres of ground - so your 1 litre bottle will kill vegetation on 2,000 square metres of ground (about 1/2 an acre). HTH.
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - L'escargot
To butt in for persistant general weedkiller - sodium chlorate ....

I agree. For block paved drives, sodium chlorate is not only the most effective (it's a total weedkiller which remains active in the soil for quite some time) but it's also the cheapest for something of its efficacy. The cheapest source I've found is Wilkinsons (aka Wilko). Wilkinsons glyphosate is also cheaper than Roundup. I buy it as a concentrate.

(You may have guessed that Wilkinsons is my favourite shop!)

Edited by L'escargot on 14/08/2008 at 08:20

Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - ifithelps
What would be your mix for an effective general weedkiller ifithelps?

Nothing scientific, I pull out the weeds, or at least rip and tear them a bit - works better on an open wound.

Sprinkle on salt dry from the packet and a few days later weeds turn yellow and die much like they do with ordinary weedkiller.

I chucked a handful on some stinging nettles once, they turned black.

I've used the salt method mostly on my gravel driveway and it works just as well as weedkiller.

Not claiming it's any better, the weeds often come back, but don't they whatever you use?

Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - daveyjp
Roundup is one of the few weedkillers which kills Japanese Knotweed. If it does for that it will do for any garden weed.
A farm I worked at part-time in the 1970s had gallon cans of paraquat - under the ICI trade name Gramoxone.

Long since banned, I believe, and it was powerful stuff.

The smell of it was not unpleasant and reminded me of molasses.

There were several cases of farmers' wives using it to do in their abusive husbands.

A neat teaspoonful in the brute's gravy was all it took, apparently.
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - henry k
>>had gallon cans of paraquat - under the ICI trade name Gramoxone.
>>Long since banned, I believe, and it was powerful stuff.
>>The smell of it was not unpleasant and reminded me of molasses.
IIRC it was available on the domestic market as Weedol ( now a new formula)
IIRC Sadly, children also drank it after it was decanted into "pop" bottles.

Lots of info
www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/weedkill.htm
Some serious H&S at the bottom.

I an fighting a tiny "enemy" Baby's tears / Mind your own business / Irish Moss and only Glyphosate is effective.
So some lawn reseeding required :-(
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - Clk Sec
>>Sprinkle on salt dry from the packet and a few days later weeds turn yellow and die much like they do with ordinary weedkiller.

I?ve been looking for an alternative method.

Thanks.

Clk Sec

Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - Mapmaker
As I understand it, using kitchen salt to kill weeds is illegal. It is not weedkiller, is not type-approved (or whatever) and thus is not licenced for killing weeds.

Japanese Knotweed does - eventually - succumb to Roundup. Most effective (and least likely to kill everything else) is injection via hypodermic directly into the stems at the bottom. The leaves lose their bright green shine and then suddenly they all drop off. Very satisfying.

BTW you can eat the young shoots of Japanese knotweed - cut when the size of asparagus stalks, and cook like rhubarb.
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - daveyjp
"BTW you can eat the young shoots of Japanese knotweed"

I don't think you should promote this fact! It's an offence to cultivate it and if you are aware of it growing on your land you are obliged to get rid of it using an approved method. It's also an offence to take cuttings.

It's not something you want anywhere near your property either - it will grow through tarmac, concrete and most other building materials.

Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - Lud
But if you do cook them, it may be best not to kill them first with Mm's California-style lethal injection...
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - oldnotbold
"kitchen salt to kill weeds is illegal"

I doubt it's illegal, but it's not very effective. Sodium chlorate breaks down to sodium chloride after some time, as it happens, and is much better than salt.
I doubt it's illegal but it's not very effective.

Herbicides and pesticides are regulated. As I understand it, it is only legal to use those which have been approved by the regulator.

You can tell they are regulated, as sometimes they are withdrawn from sale.

>>Cultivating Knotweed is illegal

No. tinyurl.com/5um43m It is perfectly legal to have it growing on your land. It is not legal to spread it - but TBH it spreads itself so quickly you don't need to... It is not legal to dispose of prunings otherwise than by composting or incinerating on your own land.

Funny old world, isn't it. It's legal to have knotweed in your garden, but not to put salt on it...
When I suggested using salt as a weedkiller, 'it's illegal' is not a reply I anticipated.

Surely the intention is irrelevant? I can throw salt on my driveway if I want to, same as I could throw sugar, coffee or corn flakes.

You could fall foul of the law if you were contaminating the land, which I don't think you are, or if regulations applied to the disposal of what you are throwing, which I don't think they do.

Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - jbif
When I suggested using salt as a weedkiller, 'it's illegal' is not a reply I anticipated.

ifithelps:
IMO - You are correct, it is neither illegal nor unlawful. The reason is that common salt, "Sodium Chloride", is not a "Herbicide" nor "pesticide" and is therefore NOT regulated. in other words, as I said in

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65996&...e

my reply to your initial post in the previous volume, Sodium Chloride is as good as useless as a weedkiller. You might as well advise people to use natural acid rain and Mapmaker will then tell you that it is verbotten!

Edited by jbif on 14/08/2008 at 20:59

Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - Stuartli
Salt is, of course, a recognised agent for use in icy or snowy conditions.

It will also help to keep down the snails and slugs population in the garden if used to keep down weeds....:-)
>>IMO - You are correct, it is neither illegal nor unlawful. The reason is that common salt, "Sodium Chloride", is not a "Herbicide" nor "pesticide" and is therefore NOT regulated. in

IMO, jbif you are wrong. You are using common salt as a herbicide. Herbicides are approved, not banned. For good reasons, HMG regulates what we can use as herbicides. NaCl is not thus approved; it is therefore illegal to use it thus.

It is similarly illegal to spray your tomato plants with washing up liquid in the hope of killing your greenfly.

Something tells me that you would not be prosecuted for these actions... for the police are too busy catching motorists.
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - jbif
IMO, jbif you are wrong

Whatever you say.
As it is, I have only ever used salt water solution as a fertilizer but it seems to stunt the growth of plants for some reason..

Edited by jbif on 15/08/2008 at 11:29

salt water solution as a fertilizer (.) seems to stunt the growth of plants for some reason..

It's poisonous to them in quantity (also to us). The point about approved herbicides is sad but true. We are restricted by multitudes of laws and regulations, and things will get worse.
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - tyro
We are restricted by multitudes of laws and regulations and things will get worse.

Only if we let them.

People of Britain, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

With apologies to the mods if that is overly political. :-)
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - Lud
You have nothing to lose but your chains!

If only.

People acting from the position that they have nothing to lose often discover that they had something to lose after all, and are now at risk of losing it. Ask the Georgian government if you don't believe me.
Weedkiller Post Vol 243 - tyro
Quite right, Lud.

Whenever you gain something in terms of freedoms, you also lose something.

My own position is that what while we would lose something in getting rid of the huge amount of over-regulation and un-necessary laws that FT refers to (by becoming a less regulated society), it would be a price well worth paying. I do not propose military activity (as the Georgian government did), nor anarchy, nor violent revolution - merely that people would stop voting for political masters who are addicted to increasing regulation and legislation at an ever-increasing pace - or at least demand that they start repealing some of this stuff.

Note to Mods: I am sorry about this. It is a bit too political. I admit it. I blame Lud and FT :-)
I blame Lud and FT :-)

Tank you Sah. Changing this lot would not, I think, help the motorist - whoever is there will be in thrall to another organisation.
flashing screen on HJ site - billy25
Just started this afternoon! and only on this site, everytime my mouse pointer rolls-over a hyper-link (thread title, posters name) the whole screen flashes, as this happens for every hyper-link, its very distracting. Is anyone else suffering the same thing?
cheers

Billy
80's clothing - legacylad
I recently dined at a restaurant in Halifax which is holding a couple of 80's evenings over the coming Bank Holiday weekend.On our way out they suggested that the informal dress code might be 80's attire...and on the way home myself and SWMBO tried to think back to those days.
Just what did the sexes wear in the 80's that is different from today....maybe I should just look at the back of my wardrobe.....
80's clothing - Wilco {P}
Do a google images search on "new romantics"

80's clothing - daveyjp
Or watch an episode of Dynasty, or Howards Way!
80's clothing - ifithelps
Big hair - certainly for your lass, if not you.

Edited by ifithelps on 15/08/2008 at 21:01

Utility companies & bill reductions - tinky winky
The talk about a windfall tax on utility companies after their recent price rises got me thinking. Supposing the utility companies set their prices so that they did not make a profit, but just broke even, how much would ths reduce our bills?

{subject line changed, as per the "Please Note" request at the start of the thread}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/08/2008 at 01:17

Utility companies & bill reductions - Stuartli
Utility companies have to keep the infrastructure at a level at least be able to cope with demand.

Windfall taxing such companies might please Socialists, but means that unless the work is done then they fall even further behind. That leads to even higher charges in the future.

I live in the United Utilities area - at present the company is spending many, many millions of pounds upgrading the old lead pipes across a huge area of the North West by replacing them with plastic piping.

Without making reasonable profits, such a programme would be impossible.

If you wish to know the consequences of "windfall" taxes, just consider a certain GB's £5bn annual grab from pension funds since 1997 and the destruction of one of the world's finest pension schemes........:-(

Perhaps your pension has been directly hit as a result and you can only reflect bitterly on a substantial proportion of the money you invested having been snatched away by the Socialist philosophy of "What's yours is mine."

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/08/2008 at 01:17

Drawing office grid patterns? - Petel
Apologies for the vague subject heading but can anyone please help with the following?

Many years ago, whilst at school, I did Tech Drawing. We had a transparent sheet with a grid pattern ( various sizes of grid were available ) which could be layed over a drawing to highlight the scale, size or shape of an item. I am not sure if this was thin plastic or Cellophane.

Can anyone remember these and advise if these, or any modern equivalent are available?
Thank you.
Drawing office grid patterns? - daveyjp
Photocopy a piece of graph paper onto an acetate sheet.
Drawing office grid patterns? - L'escargot
I googled for "transparent graph paper" and this is what I found. tinyurl.com/5a438o
Drawing office grid patterns? - Petel
Thank you for the replies.
Regards
Direct debit paid earlier than the due date - L'escargot
I have a direct debit scheduled to be paid on the 19th of each month, which is one day after my main monthly source of income is due to be credited to my bank account. This month the direct debit shows on my online statement this morning as having been paid already, even though today is only the 16th.

Is this the fault of the payee? I understand that direct debits aren't paid until the payee requests them.

Fortunately on this occasion my monthly income (due 18th) has already been credited to my account, otherwise my account balance would have been seriously depleted.
Direct debit paid earlier than the due date - Pugugly
www.bacs.co.uk/BACS/Consumers/Direct+Debit/Help+ce.../

Reading this I suspect if it had caused you a problem, he debitee (!) would have probably been liable for any costs you encountered. Reading the small print of the original agreement may reveal more. You're proably helping somebody's cash flow by stealth.
Direct debit paid earlier than the due date - Clk Sec
Simple solution, L?escargot:

1. Knock direct debit on head.

2. Settle future bills at your convenience.

Clk Sec
Direct debit paid earlier than the due date - Stuartli
Such payments and credits being paid earlier or later usually revolve around weekends - if, for instance, a pay or pension credit is due on a date which falls on a Saturday or Sunday, it will normally be paid in on the Friday.

If a direct debit date falls on a Sunday, payment will generally be taken out on the Monday.

Edited by Stuartli on 16/08/2008 at 14:42

Freeview question - Dynamic Dave
Just purchased an LCD TV from Tesco (Technika make) with built in freeview.

Set everything up as per the instructions. All the analogue channels are stored, but with the freeview - BBC1, BBC2, ITV, & Ch4 are missing from the listings. The first channel is Ch5. I'm wondering as the missing channels are available via analogue, that's why they haven't been included in the freeview listings.

With stand alone freeview boxes I know all the terrestrial channels are included. I've RTFM several times, but am still none the wiser. I'm beginning to think that my age is turning me into a technophobe!

On the side of the box it says "one off payment, no subscription" - I take that to mean that the "one off payment" is the price of the equipment purchased and not a separate charge to allow BBC1, BBC2, etc to become available?
Freeview question - maz64
Have you tried tuning again? I can only think that signal strength (or receiver quality) isn't that good - have you used Freeview before at that location?
Freeview question - Dog
On analogue Dave, press text on any beeb Ch. then enter page 284.
You should get the beeb channels on analogue & digi.
Tesco TV - say n'more !
Yep, tried re-tuning again. I even resorted to phoning Tesco's helpline - who were in fact very helpful. Tried everything they suggested, and told me that freeview can sometimes play tricks and when it does it's overnight update *may* well correct itself. If not, then take back to the store for a no quibble replacement or full refund.

It's just weird that it appears to be only the terrestrial channels that are missing from freeview (with the exception of Ch5) Signal strength on all the freeview channels is over 70% according to the on screen data.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/08/2008 at 18:57

Freeview question - crunch_time
Have a look in the Freeview forum in www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

Sure I've seen this covered in there.

Freeview question - Another John H
Have you used freeview on your aerial feed prior to getting the new television?

If not, it's possible you have an old aerial which is optimised for your analogue channels, and some of the freeview multiplexes aren't being received.

The fix for this is a wideband aerial.

BBC1 and 2, and ITV and Channel 4 are on multipexes 1 and 2 respectively.

Channel 5 is on mutlipex A.

Thanks all.

Nope, not used freeview before on my aerial. I think that's hit the nail on the head. I tried the TV in another room (main aerial lead is in there and then it goes through a 3 way booster box, of which one of the feeds goes through to the bedroom)

Re-scanned the channels and it has now found ITV & Ch4, albeit very pixelated and unwatchable. No BBC channels.
Freeview question - SpamCan61 {P}
Stick your postcode in here DD to see what aerial type t predicts:-

www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS

It suggests I need an "Amplified extra hi-gain" one. I probably need a ladder as well ;o)

Looks like I need to be flicking through the yellow pages, but avoiding anyone who's previously starred in 'House of Horrors'
My own postcode actually comes up as 'extra hi-gain' and I get away with a 10 quid Screwfix job, admitedly with an amplifier on the mast, ther epredictors tend to be quite pessimistic. What letter do you get in the 'Gp' column, this determines whether you need a wideband ( so called digital) antenna or not. Most existing 'narrow' band antennas will be group A, B, C/D, K or E - the last two are semi-wideband to be pedantic.

A good site for information on the subject is here:-

www.aerialsandtv.com/digitaltv.html

Caution - significant geeky content.
What letter do you get in the 'Gp' column

I get a W.
>> What letter do you get in the 'Gp' column
I get a W.

Ah right, you will almost certainly need a wideband to get all channels then.
Freeview question - nick
My postcode also comes up with 'Amplified extra hi-gain' and I have a £10 screwfix special and it works fine. Not impressed with that site, I have direct line of sight to the Belmont mast, a coat hanger would just about do the job.
Freeview question - L'escargot
It suggests I need an "Amplified extra hi-gain" one.

It says that for us as well, but we get excellent reception with a Freeview box from a 12 year-old analogue aerial situated in the loft ~ and it's a bungalow to boot. Check the aerial alignment before you spend any large sums of money.
Check the aerial alignment before you spend any large sums of money.

It's pointing in the same direction as 2 neighbours houses who've got freeview.
Now that's interesting - is your aerial smaller than theirs? Is ther elcoal tree / building whoich is obstructing your view to the transmitter but not theirs?
Now that's interesting - is your aerial smaller than theirs?

I failed to mention that their aerials are newer than mine - one of the aerials is shorter, but has a larger thingybob at the rear of it.
Freeview question - hxj

MIL had a similar problem with a different TV.

Problem solved by a new new aerial lead, hers was about 30 years and brown and manky, new one is nice and clean and white with moulded ends.

Just a thought.

Admittedly there are a few connection joints between the living room (where the main feed comes in) and bedroom - which is fed via a splitter/booster box, but has to go through a VCR & DVD recorder before it reaches the TV.
Might be worth checking with minimum amount of cable in circuit then, but I suspect you're stuffed as some of the muxes are at frequencies outside those used for your analogue transmissions if wolfbane is recommending 'W'.

As suggested may well be worth getting the co-ax changed at the same time, using decent double screened stuff like CT100; some Freeview decoders seem particularly sensitive to pulsed interference from motorbikes / central heating boilers etc.
Freeview question - L'escargot
Stick your postcode in here DD to see what aerial type t predicts:-
www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS

It also gives the direction to the appropriate transmitter. Check (with a compass) that your aerial is correctly aligned.

Edited by L'escargot on 18/08/2008 at 10:05

Freeview question - Stuartli
>>..found ITV and Ch4...No BBC channels.>>

Depending on how old your current aerial is, you may need to have a wideband aerial installed (these are sometimes described as "digital" aerials, which is pure marketing hype).
Freeview question - bathtub tom
I inadvertently conncted my freeview box to the old VHF radio aerial socket. It provides a stronger signal (100%) than the UHF TV aerial. I ended up ditching my analogue radio tuner, and feed the freeview box into my audio amp.
Freeview question - Stuartli
>>...and feed the freeview box into my audio amp.>>

Then this link may prove of interest:

www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/digital_radio_samples.h...m
PC Golf Game - Robin Reliant
Anyone recommend a decent golf game to run on a fairly basic PC running XP? I have onboard graphics so nothing too fancy, but it must be realistic rather than some form of crazy golf.
PC Golf Game - britmonkey
Tiger Woods PGA tour 2001.

Its old but pretty relistic, and doesnt require anything exceptional in hardware.

I got mine from Woolworths budget PC range 4.99GBP
PC Golf Game - Robin Reliant
Cheers britmonkey, I'll have a look for that.

The last one I had was PGA Tour on an Amiga circa 1995 or thereabouts, and that was pretty good so I am not after all the bells and whistles of the latest stuff.
PC Golf Game - daveyjp
Microsoft Golf is usually available in the 2 for £10 games section too.
In line water heater..any recommendations - legacylad
Some 18 months ago I began my house extension, and by knocking down an external wall (new staircase leading directly into extension, when previously it was a return staircase) this allowed me to change the layout of my downstairs toilet. I capped off the hot water supply to the basin, but have now forgotten where it is...I suspect under the tiled floor. My solution is to install an inline water heater from the cold supply, and fit it in a cupboard under the new wash basin.
If you are still following, can anyone suggest a decent reliable heater to provide a strong flow of instantaneous hot water through a mixer tap.
Thanks
In line water heater..any recommendations - RichardW
You'd be much better of finding that HW connection....

Presume you are talking electric heater? Unless you put in a hoofing great cable all the way from the consumer unit you are going to be limited to 3kW - which will only produce about 1 litre / min of 'hot' water (hot is only 40°C in winter assuming a 35°C temp rise). Even if you go for an electric shower equivalent, you will only get to say 10kW and about 3l/min.
Brass cleaning - maltrap
I'm about to try and clean an old brass light fitting. It's got 25 years of tarnish on it and i wondered if anyone knew any tricks of the trade, cleaning products, apart from Brasso, T cut etc. All help gratefully received.
Brass cleaning - Mapmaker
DON'T try soaking it in vinegar or other acid. Whilst it will remove the tarnish, it will also dissolve the zinc - leaving you with copper coloured brass.
Brass cleaning - deepwith
Try Maas - it works well. Not sure how this works with Mapmakers advice, as it has some vinegar in it, but I have used tomato ketchup with some success.
Brass cleaning - Dog
Solvol Autosol
Insurance house rebuild query - BobbyG
To cut a long story short, fire affects 2 semi detached houses. As part of the rebuild much of the brick on the back wall has to come off to expose the timber frame.
Loss adjusters have declared that only the bricks in the affected area have to come off and not the whole back wall.
Therefore, at rear of of my house I am going to have half the wall (in a vertical block) original 24 year old brick, then the second half will be new brick (albeit they will try and match it but this will be no where near perfect). Then the same with neighbours house, half new brick and half old.

I have appealed to the loss adjustor that this will just look patchwork, especially when they try and lock in the bricks and I want the whole wall replaced the one colour, to return me to the state that it was in prior to fire. They have said they are not prepared to do this.

Am I being unreasonable with this request? And if not, any suggested courses of action?

Insurance house rebuild query - Mapmaker

Soot wash to give the right chiaroscuro.

www.ihbc.org.uk/context_archive/61/technical/commi...l

Traditionally used by the Georgians and Victorians to tone down newly-built brickwork to take the "new" shine off it. Freshly-cleaned 21st-century taste is just wrong.

You could possibly have the existing wall pressure washed, and then soot-wash the two of them.
Insurance house rebuild query - Group B
I'm not a legal bod so I dont really know how much say you have in this.

I would have thought they ought build a "sample panel" of brickwork approx 1m square for you to approve the brick and mortar combination, prior to any work being done. As Mapmaker says cleaning the existing would be a good move.
Soot wash to give the right chiaroscuro.

In a similar situation but with sandstone rather than brickwork; we worked on a very old pub in Derbyshire where the front wall had to be dropped and rebuilt. In order to 'age' the appearance of the new stonework it was treated with a solution which apparently contains liquid silicone and cow dung.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 19/08/2008 at 20:00

Insurance house rebuild query - Armitage Shanks {p}
"Liquid Silicone and cow dung" - that'll be the local real ale then!
Insurance house rebuild query - ifithelps
The silicone in it should make it slip down well.
Insurance house rebuild query - oldnotbold
"Am I being unreasonable with this request?"

If the bricks are matched closely enough, then the new bricks will change colour within 3-5 years and closely resemble the old one, I expect. I doubt it's reasonable to insist on a total re-build of the lot just to get a colour match, unless it's totally impossible to get a match.
Insurance house rebuild query - Dulwich Estate

"Am I being unreasonable with this request?"

No, not at all. Suggest to them that you might ask a loss assessor to take a look. Note "assessor" not adjuster. Push hard and whenever they say "NO", push again - it's your house !

It can often be very much a personal decision by the local loss adjuster - it can do you no harm to make yourself a pain in the backside with insurers. Threaten to, and then if no joy, actually go over his head. Ultimately, insurers can get tired of such pains and give in.

You can also negotiate the extra cost of this issue against something else that you can live with.

Your policy won't be detailed in this matter - it's just a matter of opinion.
Insurance house rebuild query - BobbyG
Thanks for the feedback guys, think I will push it a bit harder to see if I can sway their opinion..... or go above their heads.
Insurance house rebuild query - Alby Back
Try going above their heads with that stuff Rich suggested. That should get their attention !