What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 243 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 244 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 243. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Webmaster on 13/08/2008 at 17:45

"Variant" spellings - L'escargot
Professor Ken Smith of Buckinghamshire New University is proposing that we just learn to live with spelling mistakes and that the most common mistakes should be accepted as variant spellings.

It sounds to me as if Professor Smith is trying making to make excuses for his inability to adequately teach his students.

Do you agree that we should allow teaching standards to fall in this way?
"Variant" spellings - Pugugly
Not in here we don't !!
"Variant" spellings - daveyjp
I don't know where he's coming from, but language is ever changing.

By rights we should use 'z' in words like organization, but in the UK we now see it as an American 'variant' spelling and replace the z with an s.

One that does get to me is the use 'of' in place of 'have' which has crept in in the last few years. "What should I of done?"

My wife is just recruiting and good spelling on the job application is the first thing she looks for.
"Variant" spellings - Stuartli
I suspect that texting has had some role in the levels of spelling ability amongst the younger generation.

Mind you, some of the abbreviations do make sense, especially as someone who has used shorthand for more than 50 years....:-)
"Variant" spellings - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think language and spelling evolve slowly, with time, and we perhaps have to adapt to it. Naming no names, I do get worried about the 'standards' of punctuation. We have had 300 word posts here unbroken by any punctuation or capital letters!
"Variant" spellings - jbif
Professor Ken Smith of Buckinghamshire New University is proposing

First point to note is that B N University's new website is called "Be Coz U Can" (www.becozucan.org.uk) which aims to attract 11-16 year-olds into Higher Education.

If you go to this article,
blogs.guardian.co.uk/mortarboard/2008/08/does_spel...l
it has a link to the original article by the Prof in the newspaper we cannot mention here.
Both the above links also have numerous responses by readers, which generally agree with the view taken on this forum - spelling and grammar do matter.

There is further discussion at the Register, where many commentators are known to be very poor at spelling and grammar, and makes for an entertaining read.
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/07/for_kids_who_cant.../
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/07/for_kids_who_cant.../

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would suspect HMG involvement - with their abysmal record in improving literacy - its almost as if the plot of Fahrenheit 451 is coming true.
Variant spellings - Lud
I heard some academic carphound on the wireless yesterday playing down the importance of the rapid spread of slobbish semi-illiteracy among university undergraduates. Inability to spell simple words - in English this can be important as some words are pronounced the same but have very different meanings in different spellings - or compose a grammatical sentence is dismissed as an aspect of language perceived as 'a living thing'.

Despicable twit. Probably can't spell or write a sentence himself. A lot of academics can't.

Edited by Lud on 09/08/2008 at 15:13

Variant spellings - Lud
On reflection, given the quite large numbers of non-native English speakers who use English in their work or daily lives, local variants of English as well as non-literary demotic English as spoken in much of the sceptred isle itself do make evolution (or degeneration as some may see it) inevitable, and on a large scale. Indeed I greatly enjoy some aspects of this variation which has endless poetic possibilities.

Nevertheless correctly used, English is an extraordinarily flexible and precise instrument for the expression of scientific and philosophic ideas and concepts. French is considered more concise and exact, but it isn't really in practice, language of diplomacy or no. I was once told earnestly by a French hack that English was 'far better for news reporting'.

Perhaps we are heading for a radical split between 'classical' grammatically-correct English and a wide range of local demotic variants. This has happened to Arabic, whose classical version, the language of the Koran, can seem almost incomprehensible to speakers of (for example) Maghrebi demotic or 'popular' Arabic which contains Berber, Turkish and other Mediterranean imports.
Variant spellings - jbif
I heard some academic carphound

The trouble is that this academic Ken Smith is Professor of Criminology; and if he is teaching his students that it does not matter if you spell their as thier or there, then how does he teach them the relevance of the sequence of letters in reading DNA evidence?

If NuLab have anything to do with it, it would not surprise me if the Civil Service instructed to give priority to recruiting graduates from Bucks New Uni in competition with those from the Russel group of Universities. These graduates who will have learnt that attention to detail does not matter, and will be responsible for solving crimes in the UK.

"Variant" spellings - In Theory
My brother-in-law's primary school, in the mid 70s, was experimenting with a new literacy programme. Children would learn to read phonetically in order to learn words faster. The idea was that spelling is merely incidental and the kids would learn it as they progressed in their reading. My b-in-law is a clever fellow, but he had to take remedial reading classes when he changed schools (family moved for father-in-law's job). In any reasonable sense, his school made him functionally illiterate by neglecting spelling.
Mrs P found Welsh one of the simplest languages she learnt for the vary reason that in reading it is totally phonetic. Apparently what you see is what you get.
"Variant" spellings - Lud
Welsh one of the simplest languages
it is totally phonetic. Apparently what you see is what you get.

Yes, and when you see a lot of double Ls coming up, it's best to stand back a bit or you may get a faceful of saliva... Depends somewhat on the state of the speaker's teeth...

:o}
Being an accountant she has very good teeth. :-)
Quite IT. Very serious attempts were made by the education system in the seventies and eighties to render my own children illiterate. Constant remedial work at home was the answer, but can everyone manage it? Fortunately that reading nonsense has now been largely dropped, despite the large number of today's teachers who were themselves crippled by it.
"Variant" spellings - henry k
I avoided all this reading procedure rubbish by teaching my children to read beefore they went to school.
It took time and effort but I had the advantage of bright offspring.
The local head, on the first day my daughter arrived, was not inclined to believe she could read but had the good grace to admit I was right.
I had no training to teach but my fun method worked.

I think the real problem is not devoting time and effort at home ( assuming you can spell to begin with).
We were all taught to read at home - I thought that was the norm....!
Well, yes, and our early spelling efforts kindly corrected at an age when the child knows it has everything to learn. Of course this is what parents should do if they can. Alas though, even some of the ones who could don't bother, and of course many can't.

The modern illusion that everything can be broken down into simple units that fit together and are susceptible to yes/no answers, encouraged by the computer which works essentially by saying yes or no thousands of times a second, subverts the very idea of education as it used to be, and as it perhaps still should be. No doubt the human organism with its endless ingenuity will find a way of subverting that too in its turn.
"Variant" spellings - JH
Yes PU I think it was, but you don't pick up much a of a vocabulary from "The Sun" and "OK".
JH
to read before they went to school.>>

I was able both to read and tell the time when I had reached the age of four. As far as I know/recall it was self taught.

In fact the local library allowed me to have a ticket a year early because I was reading so much.
"Variant" spellings - billy25
>>I was able both to read <<
>>As far as I know/recall it was self taught.<<

;-) thats impressve for a four year old! you must have already been able to read so that you could teach yourself!! ;-)

Billy

Actually I don't recall my parents ever teaching me. In fact my father used to question me about new books I had read before he believed I wasn't just relying on memory...:-)

But we are talking about more than 60 years ago now.....
"Variant" spellings - Alby Back
Not quite as long ago Stuart but over 40 years anyway, the school I went to relied upon pain incentives to ensure student accuracy. Not that I advocate that as a preferred method you understand but I have to say it did seem to focus the mind. This culture of quite severe physical punishment from the age of five had a very bad effect on some pupils and quite rightly would not be tolerated now. Some of our teachers would now be described as unstable and abusive sadists. The flip side is that those of us who managed to survive it, I hope, relatively psychologically unscathed, did seem to progress reasonably quickly in academic terms.

"Variant" spellings - deepwith
Despite my husband learning in this way, we also thought our daughter was relying on a good memory. It was only when she read something from the newspaper that the penny dropped.
This was 23 years ago, Stuart.
"Variant" spellings - deepwith
Billy, you do not need to know how to read to learn - you just need people around you who will read to you every day, teach you lots of nursery rhymes and both bother and be around to answer your questions ... like "what does that sign say".
Both my husband and daughter learned in this way.
That was the good fortune we had as a family - surrounded by books all of us. We still are - much to the exasperation of our various spouses.
"Variant" spellings - Falkirk Bairn
I was able both to read and tell the time when I had reached the
age of four. As far as I know/recall it was self taught.

My eldest boy was word perfect for hundreds of nursery rhymes by the time he was 3+yrs. By 4 he was reading fluently having identified the words from memory of the rhymes. At the age of 6 he could read fluently (but not understand) anything written in the Glasgow Herald- his reading age was approx that of a 11 yr old
"Variant" spellings - FotheringtonThomas

Know, its' apporling.
"Variant" spellings - Manatee

No. Professor Ken's principal argument for this seems to be that "it's a bit hard" to spell conventionally. Clearly it isn't, for most people, if they want to.

Free spelling will cause more problems for the reading audience than it solves for the writer. It's distracting and needs more attention to decode for a start; and meanings will be lost - when a less common word is used, it is likely to be taken for a different, similar sounding one.

I sympathise with the truly dyslexic - I have an immensely clever friend who can't spell for toffee (in fact he probably can't spell toffee) but he knows it and he'll get important documents checked by someone else, because he recognises that the meaning of his own versions is not always clear.

The answer might be to rationalise spelling before trying to bring back conformity - I gather that there are proposals in train in the EU to do this, and to standardise on English as the official European language at the same time -

ENGLISH TO BE LANGUAGE OF THE EU

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c." Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik emthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like fotograf" 20 persent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by " v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
"Variant" spellings - hxj

I suffer from a real spelling problem and with grammar and have always done so. I can do figures. I remember getting home (many many years ago) from a party knowing a girl's telephone number but not her hame, or what she looked like .......

My wife has real difficulty with understanding the concepts of numbers, especially on a bank statement, but can spell every word.

Different brains work different ways.

My concern with work output is not about spelling, punctuation, or grammar it is about clarity and preciseness. Both are achievable with the simplest of language.

It makes not a jot of difference to me how people spell words, or use grammar, or punctuate, virtually everything can still be understood.
"Variant" spellings - billy25
<> >

Anzo ve vil al end up spekin der german dat vud av apend 60 years ago if Her Hitler ad von de var! at least ve vud al av bin fluent by now, but dont mention der var, (i did but i zinc i may av gut avay vif it)

As the saying goes:

"Ve av vays an means ov makin EU talk" (even if it is via Brussels)
"Variant" spellings - L'escargot
Anzo ve vil al end up spekin der german dat vud av apend 60 years
ago if Her Hitler ad von de var!

I've long since thought that. Thank goodness that people were sufficiently patriotic to be prepared to sacrifice their life for the freedom of their country. I doubt if that would happen nowadays.
"Variant" spellings - henry k
>>I sympathise with the truly dyslexic -
I have an immensely clever friend who can't spell for toffee (in fact he probably can't spell toffee)
but he knows it and he'll get important documents checked by someone else,

>>because he recognises that the meaning of his own versions is not always clear.

And a motoring link with the President of Dyslexia Scotland
www.dyslexiascotland.org.uk/

2 man motorbike portable tent. - Pugugly
Decided to add a camping capability to my European trip next year. Anybody got any ideas on a good quality packable tent. Cost not really an issue but weight/size/simplicity and quality is !
2 man motorbike portable tent. - billy25
Friends just got this one when they went to Glastonbury this year, they rated it very highly!!
and they went there on motorbikes, packs up to 3kg wt, and sat nicely on luggage rack thing on back of bike.

Capacity: 2-3 adults
Weight: Minimum: 3.47 kg; Packaged: 3.91 kg
Area: Floor: 38 ft2 / 3.5 m2; Vestibule: 30 ft2 / 2.8 m2
Materials:
Rainfly: PU-coated, flame retardant and UV-resistant, ripstop polyester.
Canopy: UV-resistant, flame retardant ripstop polyester Floor: PU-coated, taffeta nylon.
Poles: DAC Featherlite SL 7001-T6 9 mm
Packed size: 17x8?? / 42x20 cm
Setup time: 2 minutes
Colors: Green and Terracotta

www.twenga.co.uk/offer/173866803.html

Billy

p.s

i thought camping was illegal? - something about not being allowed to "loiter within tent"!
2 man motorbike portable tent. - hxj

How about a cheap £30 tent from a superstore/halfords. they work fine, but at current prices are unbeatable value.

Something like - direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-4441.aspx

2 man motorbike portable tent. - daveyjp
If you aniticipate warm and relatively calm weather any cheap tent will do the job - no need to spend hundreds. Now is the time to buy too - end of summer bargains to be had.
2 man motorbike portable tent. - pmh
If you can find one that you just 'throw in the air' and it springs into shape fully assembled, it will be worth having. Particularly when it is dark, raining, you have just covered 500 miles and all the bones in your body ache!

The other bit of advice is to try at least one test 'assembly' in daylight and the dry before you leave. At least you can then be sure that you have all the correct poles and pegs!

pmh
Particularly when it is dark, raining, you have just covered 500 miles and all the bones in your body ache!

Only if I get a en-suite, super king, air con, power shower wi-fi'd soundproof tent by accident - I'm not the roughing it type ! I fancy a tent for emergency stop-over (puncture etc) or a bit more long term when there is a properly equipped camp site like a 100 yards from a decent eatery !

Thanks for the other tip though !
2 man motorbike portable tent. - Alby Back
A space blanket and half bottle of decent malt or similar would prove much easier to carry and much more satisfactory in the event of such an unscheduled stop !

I hadn't thought of that though !

By the way I've ordered myself a pair of very nice, reasonable, hand made pair of Alt Berg boots !

That's more like it , Crocs schmocks !

Man Crocks please ( now written off in a Cocker related incident)
Hah ! At least the dog knew what was best....................

;-)
Seems I have Crocker Spaniel !
2 man motorbike portable tent. - ifithelps
Could never trust a man who wore plastic shoes, used to call them Porvair in my day.
Gosh yes, Porvair. Allegedly led to a resurgence of trench foot.
2 man motorbike portable tent. - ifithelps
...trench foot...

Artificial leather has been compared to instant tea - you can get it, but it's no good.
2 man motorbike portable tent. - pmh
I had somehow assumed that your Credit Card was packed on top of the tent, and that erection of aforementioned item was only in the event your card had been cloned, and had been used to your undoubtably large credit limit !

Depending on where you go, camping can be luxurious, and the facilities certainly better, than budget/medium (upto 3 star) hotels. When, as a family, we used to camp regularly, I always described camping as like 'staying in a hotel but more expensive.' Security for the bike will also be better! (You can chain it to your left ankle).

When in 1998 I graduated from the 'family sized, multi room tent' to the 2 person 'nylon rabbit hutch', I actually enjoyed it more!

pmh

Edited by pmh on 10/08/2008 at 07:22

2 man motorbike portable tent. - legacylad
Morning Pugugly
Look at the 'Hilleberg' website. They manufacture a wide range of tents...all top quality, many of which are lightweight, yet perform brilliantly in adverse weather conditions.
My own Akto has been a favourite for almost a decade. Not the model for you (its a lightweight all weather one man backpacking model) but I'm sure they make one which will fit your needs perfectly. A friend of mine and his partner swear by their 'Nallo' model.
And you can always sell them for a decent price second hand
Now sorted - thanks to Legacylad.

Touratech actually features Hilleberg tents. The solution now is to use the Touratech catalogue as a base line for the price - match it to a purpose made Touratech tent carrier and a very packable sleeping bag and I'm made. My original destination of the Ukraine looks increasingly dodgy - they're backing Georgia !
Gas meter regulator question please - Petel
Can anyone out there ( perhaps Corgi registered ) please advise as to the following?

Domestic gas meter, the tin box with seam round the middle painted grey, has regulator on incoming line coupled on one of its two unions. This regulator is mounted vertically.

Is their some reason/regulation that this unit may not be mounted and used horizontally?
Thank you.
Gas meter regulator question please - FotheringtonThomas
Is their some reason/regulation that this unit may not be mounted and used
horizontally?

If you are planning on moving the meter, or the governor, you need to contact your supplier, I think - a plumber would advise. Theoretically you can be "had" for fiddling with the thing. I moved mine a bit, and was told off by the plumber. Never mind. The orientation of the gas governor before the meter does not matter, AFAIK, because of their workings.
Gas meter regulator question please - Petel
Thank you FT for the reply.
Regards.
Anyone want a freebie ? - Pugugly
Well two actually - Tesco Great Day Out vouchers - expire 31.10.08. Post 'em out to the first e-mail I get. Quick before DD moves this to classified !
Getting access to wall of the house - Dipstick
This might be a tad tricky to explain but I'll do my best.

At the back of the house is a "construction" - imagine a kind of big open sided bus shelter affair, or an open sided conservatory - attached to the house wall. Effectively it's a glass roof which is about ten foot high.

I need to access the house wall and guttering above the glass roof for various maintenance purposes. The glass roof construction won't bear the weight of a person.

I'm racking my brains to think of a way of getting up and over the glass roof to the house wall. Hiring scissor lifts or scaffolding or towers won't work as they go straight up and down, and I need to go up and across in an inverted L shape, if you see what I mean.

I can only think of something like a cherry picker, but I'm not sure if such a thing could get to the back of the house and they appear to be about a million quid a second to hire anyway.

Am I missing something here - is there a simple diy based thing I can hire/buy, or is it a case of call some professional or other and stomach the Huge Bill that will ensue?

Getting access to wall of the house - rtj70
Is there land on either side of the glass roof (even if neighbours) so scaffolding poles could be put up either side to cross the roof?

A crazy question - but can the glass roof be temporarily be taken down?
Getting access to wall of the house - Lud
can the glass roof be temporarily be taken down?

Sounds like either that or some sort of flying buttress arrangement made with scaffolding. A professional scaffolder would know if it could be done, and might well be needed to erect the thing. Depends on the geometry really, the distance the glass roof goes out from the house wall (not too far is best) and how far up the wall the access is needed (high up above the glass roof would be easier than down close to it). A bit awkward by the sound of it. I number myself among the faint-hearted with heights.
We've had scaffolding built twice to sort out water coming in on the chimney in one room. They are mad monkeys - they built it quick and without ladders etc. And it was very high. At the back of the house the platform had to deal with steps to the cellar.

I think someone needs to at least ask some scaffolder to assess what can be done. And it will need to be built by professionals. And if they break something, like the glass roof, that's their insurance sorting it.
Getting access to wall of the house - oldnotbold
I've got just the same - a sort of car port, if you like. I had to dismantle it, and short of an expensive bit of access kit, you'll have to do the same, I think.
Getting access to wall of the house - billy25
Simple enough job for experienced scaffolders - they will use "gantry irons and boards" to span the area over the "Canopy". This is virtually the same equipment they would use when they have to span an erection over a roadway for bridge repairs etc. It will probably still be the cheapest and easiest option in the long-run, certainly easier than taking the "canopy" down then replacing it!.

Billy.
Getting access to wall of the house - ifithelps
Worth checking the price of a cherry picker - there's a building slump so kit like that should be as cheap as it will ever be.
Won't you need a "license" for using a cherry picker? Scaffolding might be still cheaper and have it for longer. No harm in getting someone out to quote before considering options.
Getting access to wall of the house - Dog
Is the roof double glazed ?
Getting access to wall of the house - Armitage Shanks {p}
I had some work done on my gutter and eaves the other day, replacement of soffits and bargeboards and other wooden stuff with nice plastic! The team turned up with two very strong heavywieght ladders to which they attached very strong lock-on brackets and aluminium planks to bridge the gap and give them something level to stand on while working. As to whther these can be hired I don't know but could be worth asking. Basically a ladder and bracket substitute for scaffolding.
Getting access to wall of the house - Mapmaker
Niftylift make a cherry picker that is only 3' wide - it has stablilisers that come out.
Getting access to wall of the house - ifithelps
Yep, my brother hires something similar to trim the wisteria on the side of his house

I'm sure it's no big deal/that dear otherwise he wouldn't do it.
Getting access to wall of the house - Dipstick
Many thanks for all the replies. It's not double glazed, there's no real possibility of taking it down temporarily, and I have side access to one side and another house wall at the other side.

I'll look at Niftylift and get a scaffolding company to quote if that doesn't work out.

Houses, eh, who'd have 'em?

The veranda itself I now discover has a website, so you can get a good idea of what I'm talking about here if you're interested:

www.thepastrecast.com/
Odd stuff in posting. - FotheringtonThomas
The below unedited, cut'n'pasted from a tyre thread. The message ended in a couple of asterisks, where I'd stopped at the ultimate letter "A". I wonder whether it'll do it again?
If I remember I'll report what's on my old car.

A quick look at my car and a couple of others shows:

Old Accord, Michelin Energy.......... wear=400, tract=A, temp=A
Honda small sporty thing Runways wear=400 tract=A temp=A
Peugot 106 Continental Evo Cont 3 wear=240 tract=A temp=A
Big fat Hyundai Tucson on Soluses. wear=340 tract=AA temp=A

Edited by Pugugly on 12/08/2008 at 20:02

Yup. It did. The last character in the post should have been a capital A, immediately before the two "*" characters.

I wonder whether the "swear filter" has a fault.

I wonder whether this should be in the computing thread, or simply sent to moderators/S.K.

Ending with an A to see what happens...

a**
Erm, yee-haw, as they are apparently fond of saying in the USA
Odd stuff in posting. - Pugugly
Can't understand why - I was able to edit it to be "right" - a peculiarity of the software ??
Odd stuff in posting. - Dynamic Dave
Should be sorted now. Found an incorrect entry in the swearfilter. I had been wondering myself for quite a while why it was doing it. I guessed it was the author adding it as some sort of praise, as in "a++" for when you give someone a positive rating on ebay and the like.

A
Odd stuff in posting. - ifithelps
DD,

Could you tell us what's in the swearfilter then we would all know which words to avoid?

:)
I wonder whether it objects to the (famous, in software censoring terms) name of a place near the North end of the M181. I don't propose to test it!
Odd stuff in posting. - rtj70
ifithelps

How could they post the words they don't want us to use ;-) They either bypass the swear filter or it would all be pink fluffy dice and a**
Odd stuff in posting. - Dynamic Dave
FT, yes it will do. As mentioned in the current Unusual Sightings thread, the swearfilter isn't intelligent enough to distinguish between an innocent word and a word that just so happens to contain a swearword.

rtj70, it's actually very easy for us mods to bypass the swearfilter. If only you could see the obscenities that PG & PU often write in the mods private forum - fortunately you can't ;o)
Odd stuff in posting. - Pugugly
Oooooh I resemble that remark.
Odd stuff in posting. - Mapmaker
Oooooh I resemble that remark.

Funny, one has images of people who post on here - all no doubt completely false. I certainly didn't imagine PU to be a row of black type.

:o
Odd stuff in posting. - rtj70
"rtj70, it's actually very easy for us mods to bypass the swearfilter."

DD, I didn't think you couldn't bypass it (surprised if you could not) but to post the words would defeat the purpose of a swear filter. That's what I was thinking.

Not seen much of PG on here lately either.
the swearfilter isn't intelligent enough to distinguish between an innocent word and a
word that just so happens to contain a swearword.

These - coarse - words are rather - sparse - wot, no xception list?

Edit: Chortle! This word vill go on ze list!

Sorry. Genuine question asked. Back to normal service.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 13/08/2008 at 00:17

Lazy way for weedkiller for monobloc drives? - BobbyG
I am nearly half way through pressure washing all the moss, weeds etc from between the bricks on my dad's driveway. Although a very messy job I actually find it quite therapeutic and relaxing!

Anyway, once I finish I need to get some sand to brush into the now exposed gaps between the bricks. Is there any specific sand I could get that would inhibit weed and moss growth? Or is there maybe something I could mix into the sand to prevent this?

Or do I just need to accept that this is a job I will need to do every couple of years?
Lazy way for weedkiller for monobloc drives? - FotheringtonThomas
Is there any specific sand I could get that would inhibit weed and moss growth?

Not AFAIK.

Or is there maybe something I could mix into the sand to prevent this?

Use a persistent weedkiller, perhaps containing sodium chlorate - it might be better to just apply this every six months or so. N.B. any runoff is very likely to contaminate adjacent borders, etc., so don't overdo it.
Lazy way for weedkiller for monobloc drives? - daveyjp
There is indeed a specific sand for this job - Block Paving Jointing Sand.

www.pavingexpert.com/blocks2.htm

Weed growth depends on how well the initial blocks were laid.

Edited by daveyjp on 13/08/2008 at 12:42

Lazy way for weedkiller for monobloc drives? - ifithelps
The weedkiller containing sodium chlorate gives you a clue.

Worth trying ordinary household salt - works in similar circumstances for me.

Much cheaper than weedkiller, not so environmentally unfriendly, easier to handle.

Rather than mix it, I'd be inclined to brush some salt in first and then whatever sand you like.

Tesco do 3kg bags, from memory for under £1. No doubt you'd get more for less at a cash and carry.

Lazy way for weedkiller for monobloc drives? - jbif
weedkiller containing sodium chlorate

Yes, an effective plant killer.
Worth trying ordinary household salt - works in similar circumstances for me.

Fine if it works for you. However, effectiveness as a weedkiller is probably measured as tiny tiny fraction of Sodium Chlorate.

Lazy way for weedkiller for monobloc drives? - ifithelps
Fine if it works for you. However effectiveness as a weedkiller is probably measured as tiny tiny fraction of Sodium Chlorate.>>

jbif,

I've tried weedkiller (not sure which one) and salt side by side on my gravel driveway.

Each seemed as effective as the other.
Lazy way for weedkiller for monobloc drives? - Mapmaker
You could mix in some cement. No need to do anything other than to mix it with the sand, dry, and brush it in.
Scart Leads - Robin Reliant
My Sky box (Pace) is seven years old and I notice that the picture no longer seems quite as sharp as it once was, particularly when there is text on the screen. I am using the original scart cable as supplied when I bought it. Somebody told me that the leads supplied with Sky boxes are cheap and nasty and break down over time, and replacing mine with a decent quality one would make all the difference.

Any thoughts and / or recommendations?
Scart Leads - Dynamic Dave
When the Gadget show conducted a test of different leads (albiet not Scart) they couldn't find any difference whatsoever.

It might just be a case of pulling the Scart lead out and pushing back in again to re-seat the electrical contacts.
Scart Leads - Pugugly
I was told by a Hi-Fi geek that leads tend to oxidise over time near their extremities - something to do with the electrical current that passes through them, thus degrading the signal they carry. Possibly the pins in the SCART connectors do the same thing, not much cost in swapping them over I would imagine - worth a try. I have a ten year old PACE box in a back room, works quite well - picture is pretty clear through the Laser telly its connected to.
Scart Leads - ifithelps
I was told by a Hi-Fi geek that leads tend to oxidise over time near

their extremities >>

Same here, the answer being to cut an inch off each end of your cables every couple of years to expose some 'fresh'.

No doubt there's a lot of rubbish talked about this, but I am certain my £1,000 hi-fi separates system sounds better with proper, multi-stranded speaker cable.

No need to pay a fortune, £1 or under a metre will get you something that will knock spots off the bell wire supplied with cheaper systems.

Another tip is avoid long runs - of cable. :)

The classic hi-fi stereo set-up is the amp in the middle with 1m of cable running to each speaker on either side and you sat at the apex of the triangle.
Scart Leads - Number_Cruncher
Speaker and interconnect cabling are one of the modern example of the Emperor's new clothes. It must be a great business to be in, because there's no-one who can prove or disprove the claims made by the charlatans who peddle the stuff. Nowehere will you find any meaningful, verifiable measure of the performance of the cables.

There are a couple of ways to see that much of the cabling hype is just that.

Firstly, look at the windings in a loudspeaker driver - they are extremely thin, and there are many windings. Even "Bell wire" cable is much thicker than this, and so, if the current can flow adequately in the speaker coils, it must be able to flow in the much thicker connecting wire - going further is a triumph of marketing over science. Don't even mention oxygen free copper!

Secondly, for makers of Hi Fi systems, wire is cheap. They buy it in lengths measured in miles, and so, get it at much lower prices than a member of the public might buying a few yards. After spending serious money on quality components to go inside their Hi Fi, do people really think that the Hi Fi manufacturer is going to compromise his kit for the sake of pence?

In automotive terms this is like the idiots who think that a motor manufacturer deliberately strangles the engine by fitting a supposed poor quality air filter, and they should remedy this by simply fitting a free flow K&N type filter.

Scart Leads - SpamCan61 {P}
I think along, long time ago - 1960s - ther ewere audio amplifers around that had such poorly designed output stages that the impedance of the speaker cable could audibly impact the sound quality, but I doubt if anything designed in the last 30 years needs anything more complex than 56 strand cable from RS at a quid a metre or whever it is these days.
Scart Leads - daveyjp
How often in the last 7 years have you had your eyes tested?
Scart Leads - FotheringtonThomas
Somebody told me that the leads supplied with Sky boxes are cheap and nasty and
break down over time

They do - however, your house will need a total rewire at about the same time as your SCART lead needs replacing, so you've got a number of decades yet.
and replacing mine with a decent quality one would make all the difference.

Oooh! A Big Fat Expensive One With Gold Plated Contacts?? I've got some connection made using £1.99 leads from Aldi. Perfect!
Any thoughts and / or recommendations?

Pull it out. Push it back in. Check the rest of your connections, as well as whatever the picture is being viewed on.
Pull it out. Push it back in. Check the rest of your connections as well
as whatever the picture is being viewed on.

Like he ( and DD) said.

Other remote possibility is that you were watching the picture using the RGB output of the Sky box, and at some point it has defaulted back to composite video, so worth checking: in 'system setup' IIRC.

Alternatively buy one of these from Russ Andrews for 100 quid plus, should work much the same as the 2 quid Aldi one:-

tinyurl.com/5p9lmk

It is worth paying for individually screened conductors within the SCART cable, but forget cables manufactured from pure unobtainium with unicorn fur insulation etc. etc.
Scart Leads - pmh
I like PUs idea, I think I will set up a pruning service. An annual visit to just trim back the leads and refix the connectors. Loads of money to be made there! If people dont like it there must be a scare marketing tactic to be used, how about ingrowing cables and fungal growth?

pmh
Scart Leads - rtj70
"When the Gadget show conducted a test of different leads (albiet not Scart) they couldn't find any difference whatsoever."

When the Gadget tested HDMI leads they found no differemce. But that is because HDMI is digital and it either works or it does not. SCART being an analogue connection could be affected by the quality of the lead. If connectors oxidise then even an HDMI cable might not working in the end.
I think it is possible to make an HDMi cable so cheap and nasty that it impacts the picture, but anything from a tenner upwards should be OK. The digital signals down the HDMI cable ( which have no error correction) have fairly fast rise / fall times on the pulses, which can get distorted by very cheap cable or, more likely, crosstalk between the signals. This can cause visible picture problems, known as 'sparklies'